Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

KC is in Dubai this weekend for the Middle East Film & Comic Con (MEFCC)...

From MEFCC's "Full Celebrity Panel" today, April 12 (Dubai is 8 hours ahead of U.S. East Coast)...

MEFCC 2019: Zachary Levi, Ross Marquand and co dazzle Dubai
Marwa Hamad and Shyama Krishna Kumar  April 12, 2019
https://gulfnews.com/going-out/events/mefcc-2019-zachary-levi-ross-marquand-and-co-dazzle-dubai-1.63290759

The panel are no strangers to painful deaths and the feeling that their characters could be killed off unceremoniously at any moment.
Marquand is on the gory post-apocalyptic series ‘The Walking Dead’, Iwan Rheon is on ‘Game of Thrones’, which is infamous for its high body count and non-reluctance to slaughter its most beloved characters, and Katie Cassidy has already been killed off and reincarnated twice over as the Black Canary (and Black Siren) on ‘Arrow’.

TAB_190412_COMIC-CON-PRESS-CONF_VS-25-15

TAB_190412_COMIC-CON-PRESS-CONF_VS-5-155

TAB_190412_COMIC-CON-PRESS-CONF_VS-13-15

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

I did too! I asked because it was a little confusing. 

It's super confusing because the gofundme page makes it look like the campaign had only raised $11,800 (including Stephen's $10k donation). But it looks like they'd already reached the 2 billboards/baskets goal before his donation:

They also posted a letter further explaining how the new funds would be allocated.

13 minutes ago, Trisha said:

It's super confusing because the gofundme page makes it look like the campaign had only raised $11,800 (including Stephen's $10k donation). But it looks like they'd already reached the 2 billboards/baskets goal before his donation:

They have two fundraising pages. Most of the $$ was raised on paypal: https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8cVI8a6xPX

From ClexaCon this weekend...

'Arrow's' Katrina Law talks LGBTQ convention in Las Vegas
Published on Apr 12, 2019, by KSNV News 3 Las Vegas

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I'll say this - I still hate that she's leaving, but I love the way she's being celebrated.  If she had stayed until the end, everything would be about Stephen.  It's nice to see Emily take the limelight.  Now back to my sadness.  😭

• Love 8

From "Nyssara" panel (with Katrina Law and Caity Lotz) at ClexaCon on Apr. 13 (I did not transcribe everything, but mostly focused on Arrow stuff - also, I used spoiler tags for a KL comment that might've been a minor spoiler)...

ClexaCon 2019 - Nyssara Panel
Published on Apr 13, 2019, by ClexaCon

-- On Nyssa & Sara, CL: "We're like Juliet and Juliet. Star-crossed lovers."

-- Mod: "Nyssa has managed to escape death numerous times... In fact, we just got to see her be alive and well and helping teach Felicity and Oliver's daughter the tricks of the trade. What do you think is it that keeps her going?" KL: "Well, Lazarus Pit, that's the biggest one... I think she's a crafty one. I thinks she just kinda does her own thing, doesn't really get entangled in too many people's business and whether or not you get along with her that day is dependent on what her agenda is versus yours. So if they flow together, then we're all cool."  

-- CL called the Nyssa/Mia training scene "the cutest thing ever" and mentioned that the child playing young Mia was James Bamford's daughter. KL said that James Bamford's main direction is often to "go faster, go faster, go faster." She also said that, while it's easier for someone like CL who's "trained her entire life," it's not always possible for her, who's never been a stunt person, to go faster. She then said that Bamford gave the same direction (to go faster) to his daughter, who's "like a little ninja (per CL), for that scene. CL mentioned that KL shot that Arrow episode three months after giving birth.

-- In response to the mod's suggestion that Nyssa cross over to LoT and have a threesome with Avalance, KL: "Nyssa loves blondes."

-- On whether she was aware that some fans loved the chemistry between Nyssa and Laurel, KL joked that "it's a very quiet fandom" but she might've heard "a couple things here and there" about fans shipping those two characters. She thought that Nyssa and Laurel were "kindred spirits" because they both loved Sara ("in different ways, hopefully") and they'd both "been through so much and had so much loss." However, she thought that "friendship is about as far as either of them would've been willing to go, but there might've been a drunken night here and there. That's all I'm saying."

-- They then talked about how they imagined Nyssa and Sara first met and jokingly compared it to The Little Mermaid (Sara washed up on shore and Nyssa found her like a "Princess Erica").

-- Fan said that she "screamed" when she saw that Nyssa was the one training "Olicity's daughter" and then asked KL what she could envision if there was some other world possibility where Nyssa & Sara were "endgame." KL avoided answering the question but brought up some meme pics that they were going to give as gifts later.

-- CL said that Nyssa would beat Ava in a fight because Nyssa trained the League of Assassins and was training before Sara was training: "If I were to say that Ava would beat Nyssa in a fight, then that would mean Ava would beat Sara in a fight, and I don't think Ava would beat Sara in a fight." 

-- On why Nyssa didn't appear to age at all during the Mia training scenes and whether Nyssa had "a picture in her attic" (referring to Oscar Wilde's book, The Picture of Dorian Gray), KL: "I have a Lazarus Pit in my attic? Does that work?"  CL: "No, that really is the right answer. I was talking to them on Arrow and they were like, 'yeah, we didn't do age makeup on her because she was - the Lazarus Pit... She made, like, a facial serum, I think, out of it. It's like a rose mist." KL: "It has flecks of gold in it. I'm going to sell it... soon."  

Fan: "So Thea, Roy and Nyssa didn't destroy all of them then?" KL: "No, I think they found three more of them. And that's sort of when me, Thea and Roy went off, and then Roy came back. I guess Roy didn't remember that there was a Lazarus Pit."

-- On whether they would change anything about their respective character's "timeline" during their time on Arrow, KL: "I think Sara would've jumped out of the Lazarus Pit and would've been like, 'Nyssa!'" CL: "Uh, I don't know. Maybe not die so much, probably."

-- On who would win in a fight between Nyssa and Sara, CL: "I don't know. (To KL) You out of practice?" KL: "I think it would just be a tickle fight." CL: "We'd probably just end up both stabbing each other at the same time... That seems like the very Arrow - Sara thing that would happen... We would just be shanked at the same time. And then dying. 'Sorry... I love you.'" KL: "No. I think, at one point, Nyssa probably would've won. But Sara's gotten so good that - I don't know, she might even be better at this point, because she fought all the different -.." CL: "Yeah. And I have all that new tech stuff too."

-- On whether Ra's al Ghul punished Nyssa for releasing Sara, KL: "Oh, hell, yeah."

-- On how Nyssa would react to all the magical creatures on LoT, KL: "I think it would be hysterical." KL would like to go to LoT just to "get reactions." Mod: "Praise Beebo."

-- On whether she knew her character was going to be bisexual when she was cast on Arrow, CL: "When I was cast - so I didn't even know what character I was going to be. Like, they had fake names on the character, so I had no idea what I was getting into. Um, and then, when they told me, they were like, 'oh, it's going to be like the first version of the Black Canary,' and I was like, 'cool.' And I don't think we really ever got to - it wasn't like, 'hey, we need to talk about this, your character's gonna be bisexual'... I don't remember that. I think it was literally just reading the script and it was, 'hoo ha comes down,' like - and then they make out. And I was like, 'cool.' It was the same, like, I think, Sara and, uh, Oliver's character - we were - we never thought that - we were like, 'no, they're just friends.' And then we, like, get a script and it's like, 'wait, we're making out?' I was like, 'oh, cool.... guess we're like - we're going all ways. I'm into it.' It really was a non - non-issue, a non-thing. It became more of a thing afterwards, when I realized, like, how important it was for other people to be able to see that and have that representation. I don't I really realized that at first. At first, it was just like, 'cool.' She's interesting and she's expressing her sexuality. Um, and then it wasn't until like, kind of with the fandom, that I was like, 'oh wow, this character is actually - it's really important,' um, which was really cool. And now it's like, Sara's sexuality is, you know, one of my favorite things about her. And I think it's what makes her, like, not only a more interesting character, but just kind of powerful in terms of having that kind of representation on TV."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

A Heroes & Villains and Walker Stalker Joint Event: 
Heroes & Villains FanFest-Chicago, April 19-21, 2019 (IL)

Colton Haynes, Katherine McNamara, Rick Gonzalez, Juliana Harkavy, Katrina Law and Kirk Acevedo (also Tom Cavanagh, Danielle Panabaker, Danielle Nicolet, Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford)
http://heroesfanfest.com/chicago/guests/
Schedule
-Fri. (4/19) at 5:30pm - The Flash panel (Danielle Panabaker, Tom Cavanagh, Danielle Nicolet & Hartley Sawyer)
-Sun. (4/21) at 11:00am - Arrow panel (Colton Haynes, Juliana Harkavy, Katherine McNamara, Kirk Acevedo & Rick Gonzalez)

Collective Con, April 19-21, 2019 (Jacksonville, FL)
Paul Blackthorne (also Teddy Sears)
https://collectivecon.com
Schedule
-Sat. (4/20) at 3:00pm - CW Universe Panel w/ Paul Blackthorne and Teddy Sears

FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention, April 19-20, 2019 (Salt Lake City, UT)
(Tyler Hoechlin, Tom Felton and Tony Todd)
https://fanxsaltlake.com
Schedule
-Sat. (4/20) at 12:00pm - Tom Felton Spotlight Panel
-Sat. (4/20) at 2:00pm - Tony Todd Presents Focus Comic: An Autistic Hero Arrives
-Sat. (4/20) at 3:00pm - Tyler Hoechlin Spotlight Panel

Edited by tv echo

The panel schedule for HVFF-Chicago has been published, so I edited my previous post:

On 4/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, tv echo said:

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

A Heroes & Villains and Walker Stalker Joint Event: 
Heroes & Villains FanFest-Chicago, April 19-21, 2019 (IL)

Colton Haynes, Katherine McNamara, Rick Gonzalez, Juliana Harkavy, Katrina Law and Kirk Acevedo (also Tom Cavanagh, Danielle Panabaker, Danielle Nicolet, Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford)
http://heroesfanfest.com/chicago/guests/
Schedule
-Fri. (4/19) at 5:30pm - The Flash panel (Danielle Panabaker, Tom Cavanagh, Danielle Nicolet & Hartley Sawyer)
-Sun. (4/21) at 11:00am - Arrow panel (Colton Haynes, Juliana Harkavy, Katherine McNamara, Kirk Acevedo & Rick Gonzalez)

Collective Con, April 19-21, 2019 (Jacksonville, FL)
Paul Blackthorne (also Teddy Sears)
https://collectivecon.com
Schedule
-Sat. (4/20) at 3:00pm - CW Universe Panel w/ Paul Blackthorne and Teddy Sears

FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention, April 19-20, 2019 (Salt Lake City, UT)
(Tyler Hoechlin, Tom Felton and Tony Todd)
https://fanxsaltlake.com
Schedule
-Sat. (4/20) at 12:00pm - Tom Felton Spotlight Panel
-Sat. (4/20) at 2:00pm - Tony Todd Presents Focus Comic: An Autistic Hero Arrives
-Sat. (4/20) at 3:00pm - Tyler Hoechlin Spotlight Panel

Edited by tv echo

Despite its title, there are no comments about the final season of Arrow...

Katherine McNamara on the Final Seasons of “Arrow” & “Shadow Hunters”
Published on Apr 16, 2019, by KTLA 5

--  After the interviewer noted the physical fitness of SA, KM: "I have not done the salmon ladder, but let me tell you, I had a little bit of a heart attack when the showrunner called me, because I didn't know I was auditioning for his daughter. And then when they called me and said, 'Hey, we want you to have all of the intellect of your mother Felicity and then all of the physicality of Stephen Amell, Green Arrow,' I go, "Okay, so how long do I have before I have to do the salmon ladder?' Because I'm fit, I'm in shape from Shadowhunters, and I know how to fight from that, but that's a whole other level."

-- KM: "I've had to get to another level [of physical fitness] because Mia, in and of herself, is a cage fighter. My opening scene was a fight in a 20 by 20 rebar cage, basically, so I had to take down this 6-5 guy. So, to make that believable, I did have to put on some muscle and did have to continue my training."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

In the new EW issue (Apr. 19/26, 2019), casting director David Rapaport commented, among other things, on casting SA for Arrow and also on GG's "amazing chemistry" with EBR... 

Here's the page with the SA and GG/EBR comments:

D4YHnTqUEAADWRC.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, tv echo said:

In the new EW issue (Apr. 19/26, 2019), casting director David Rapaport commented, among other things, on casting SA for Arrow and also on GG's "amazing chemistry" with EBR... 

I do think that their chemistry was pretty great. 

EBR has only ever had zero chemistry with that terrible S5 LI. He just did not look like he was into Felicity for some reason! She gave it her best shot! 

• Love 2

Online version of above print scan of EW article - fyi, Rapaport had said in a previous interview that Melissa Benoist read for the role of Thea, and, per this Riverdale tweet, Lili Reinhart read for the role of Thea and also for Supergirl...

Casting director David Rapaport takes us behind the scenes of 'Gossip Girl,' 'Arrow,' 'Riverdale,' and more
By Samantha Highfill   April 18, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/18/casting-gossip-girl-arrow-riverdale-david-rapaport/

... They generally have 3 to 8 days to cast an episode and 8 to 10 weeks to cast a pilot. According to Rapaport, they use that time to look through every single submission and self-tape. “You only have to see one person to play the role, so if I miss that one tape, I’m devastated,” he says, comparing what he does to matchmaking. In a way, he spends his days looking at professional Tinder pages, trying to find the right person for any given project. (So in more ways than one, he has mastered the “chemistry read.”) And, together with the casting departments at both The CW and Warner Bros., Rapaport works to turn a giant dating pool into a handful of appealing prospects—until ultimately the producers, studio, and network decide which actor is “the one.”
Over the years, Rapaport has created a network of actors that he draws from time and time again. “If you’re in the business long enough, it does start to feel like a small pool,” Rapaport says. “You start to get your favorite actors that you keep bringing in.” For example, if they’re bringing in 20 actors to read for a part, Rapaport estimates that 10 to 12 of them will be people they know. But he’s always open to new faces, which is precisely why he’s going to click through all 800 submissions currently waiting for him on his computer.
Stephen Amell, Arrow
Rapaport’s long relationship with casting CW superheroes began with Arrow and the search for the right man to wear Oliver Queen’s green hood. “They said to me, ‘We want someone that looks like a superhero and can act,'” Rapaport remembers. “I had just cast Stephen [Amell] in a guest spot on 90210, and it was a pretty dramatic role. He had the muscles and that kind of dark mysterious look behind his eyes, so he was the first person I thought of when I read the Arrow script.” Amell was also the first person to read for the part.
Grant Gustin, The Flash
When it came time to cast the next Flash, the direction was almost the opposite of Oliver Queen. The Flash shouldn’t look like a superhero, Rapaport was told. “We were looking for someone who was relatable, someone that was an Everyman who was bestowed with superpowers—someone a little bit goofy,” he says. Like Amell, Rapaport had cast Grant Gustin on 90210. He’d also seen him play bad-boy Sebastian on Glee. “But every time I met Grant, he seemed like this affable, dorky, charming, fun dude,” Rapaport says. “He was the first person I auditioned for the role. We read him opposite [Arrow’s] Emily Bett Rickards, and there was amazing chemistry there.”
Melissa Benoist, Supergirl
Occasionally producers will give Rapaport a prototype for what they’re thinking about for a character, someone who is a star version of what they’re hoping to find. For Supergirl, the prototype was Jennifer Lawrence. Rapaport took that and ran with it. “There’s a quality about Jennifer Lawrence, an openness, a goofiness. She’s relatable,” Rapaport says. In trying to find those qualities in someone else, he remembered Melissa Benoist, who had read for both Arrow and an MTV pilot Rapaport had worked on. “I got to know Melissa, and she seemed to encapsulate all these qualities they were looking for,” he says.
KJ Apa, Camila Mendes, Cole Sprouse, and Lili Reinhart, Riverdale
Finding Archie, Veronica, Jughead, and Betty meant sifting through a mixture of new, familiar, and semifamiliar faces for Rapaport. Lili Reinhart, who eventually landed the role of Betty, had previously read for Arrow. ...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

One quote that I found interesting was this one: "You can save the city, but having the city be in jeopardy is one thing and having the people you care about be in jeopardy is another." It made me think about SA's repeated comments during SDCC 2016 (just prior to Season 5) that Oliver's most important relationship on the show was with Star City and not any person... 

Top 20 Quotes of Marc Guggenheim - Television writer
Published on Apr 12, 2019, by Top 20 Quotes

ETA:
I tracked down the source of that MG quote to this Jan. 21, 2016 THR interview with MG and Phil Klemmer:

Guggenheim: I believe that was Greg [Berlanti]'s pitch. There had to be stakes, personal stakes. That's what we discovered with Arrow and The Flash. You can save the city, but having the city be in jeopardy is one thing and having the people you care about be in jeopardy is another. It raises the stakes by making it personal. As far as Rip being a rogue Time Master, that struck us as an enormous amount of fun, especially since that was a secret he could then keep from the rest of the team. As we learned on Arrow, these shows traffic in the currency of secrets of the characters.

Edited by tv echo

Podcast interview with Katrina Law (go to link to listen) - no Arrow spoilers...

Shari Shaw: Studio Talk - Katrina Law
April 17, 2019
https://shows.pippa.io/shari-shaw-studio-talk/episodes/katrina-law

Shari chats with Katrina Law (Arrow, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Legends of Tomorrow) about how to deal with loss, the importance of working as often as you can, and being grateful for opportunities.

Edited by tv echo

Revised schedule:
Sun. (4/21) at 11:00am - Arrow panel (Juliana Harkavy, Katherine McNamara, Kirk Acevedo & Rick Gonzalez)

FYI:

Edited by tv echo
10 hours ago, tv echo said:

Revised schedule:
Sun. (4/21) at 11:00am - Arrow panel (Juliana Harkavy, Katherine McNamara, Kirk Acevedo & Rick Gonzalez)

FYI:

This might explain SAs new attitude toward the Con. 

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

This might explain SAs new attitude toward the Con

What’s his new attitude? Is he still one of the HVFF execs?

Also, the fact that the Jar’s Coachella wknd seems to be sponsored by Perrier (even though none of them are tagging their posts as sponcon) is 🙄.

• LOL 1
3 minutes ago, Trisha said:

What’s his new attitude? Is he still one of the HVFF execs?

Also, the fact that the Jar’s Coachella wknd seems to be sponsored by Perrier (even though none of them are tagging their posts as sponcon) is 🙄.

The canceling appearances with them and the weird way he tweeted about this last one gives me the impression something went down there. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I've only seen Carina's posts but they are so awkward. If someone is going to pay you to promote something, put some effort into it.