Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't think he's fighting against being a decent person but the perception of being racist. That's the implication that seems to make him just shut down to all open discourse.  He then is so offended that he never really hears what others are saying. 

We know the boy has issues and a lot of them seem to be about his sense of self-worth and constantly trying to prove to himself.  And not always in healthy ways.  

But he is only 37 so he's not a lost cause.  Not getting what he is doing wrong comes IMO both from that place of ignorance and that insecurity that manifests itself in his stubborn ego.  We mostly see it pop up during what are really philosophic debates rather than how he treats people in his life.  I'm sure his ego is also a factor in real life but we've no reason to think his lack of understanding when it comes to the implication of what he might double down on Twitter translates to him treating people of other races or religious backgrounds in a poor manner.    I think that's part of why the dust-ups on Twitter don't anger me as much as they do others. 

Sure, it's true he is interacting with people of other races or religious backgrounds on Social media but it's in the abstract and not something I think translates to everyone in the same real way.  I don't mean that the distance from IRL gives anyone license to be meaner or more dismissive (though in truth that's what happens often), but that the separation makes some interactions and experiences feel more academic and wouldn't as easily factor in. 

IMO racists are usually the ones who don't like being called racist...

And, look, there has been many times I've thought fandom has gone OTT with their reaction to certain things SA has said and done but this is not one of them. 

I'm sorry, I really do appreciate you wanting to understand SA on a deeper level but I just can't. If this was just a one-off I'd probably agree with you but this is a pattern of behavior and I can't dismiss it as easily as some do. Obviously I'm not going to tell anyone they should feel the same way though. 

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

In short, be more like Thor, SA. 

Going by this article about Hemsworth  in GQ, every man should be more like Thor.

About SA, I agree with @BkWurm1.  I don't think he's malicious so much as unknowing (the male brain doesn't fully mature until 40 - 60 ) and has too much go  his way.  In terms of Texasgate, I have the feeling that the values of his in-laws aren't those that he grew up with and he was trying to please them. Then his ego got stomped on.

I don't think he's a bad person much less racist but his ego is his weak point.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8

I'd chalk Amell's dysfunction up to regular human failing--selfish, self-seeking, and afraid--but all his public meltdowns (Texasgate, Beyonce, and the mosque) have involved race/culture.  Worse, he only seems to mix it up with people of color. He's not unredeemable, but lacks humility and doesn't seem teachable, which makes me doubt his ability to change.

3 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I'd chalk Amell's dysfunction up to regular human failing--selfish, self-seeking, and afraid--but all his public meltdowns (Texasgate, Beyonce, and the mosque) have involved race/culture.  Worse, he only seems to mix it up with people of color. He's not unredeemable, but lacks humility and doesn't seem teachable, which makes me doubt his ability to change.

IMO this is where he keeps messing up because this is his blindspot, something he really doesn't understand outside of his own experiences.  I agree that right now he seems locked in a loop of the same unchanging behavior but I'm not without hope that something will eventually disrupt it.  And then hopefully a change for the better to more match the person he at least thinks he is being.  

• Love 5

It is really something that for 3 years this guy was stewing over apologizing to a fan who found his comments insensitive. Add that to the fact that he thinks the teachers were right in singling out the kid and making him feel like shit because a clock was ticking just like it was suppose to.  Suddenly, I understand why he refused to apologized for making that stupid joke he made when he took a picture in the back of The Blue Mosque during Ramadan month. He didn't want to wait 3 more years to take it back. 

Also, he is so not over his ex-wife. Her rejecting him really did a number on him. Honestly, dude needs a therapy in learning to let stuff go. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, TwistedandBored said:

It is really something that for 3 years this guy was stewing over apologizing to a fan who found his comments insensitive. Add that to the fact that he thinks the teachers were right in singling out the kid and making him feel like shit because a clock was ticking just like it was suppose to.  Suddenly, I understand why he refused to apologized for making that stupid joke he made when he took a picture in the back of The Blue Mosque during Ramadan month. He didn't want to wait 3 more years to take it back. 

Also, he is so not over his ex-wife. Her rejecting him really did a number on him. Honestly, dude needs a therapy in learning to let stuff go. 

How he frames the Clockgate issue drives me crazy since it leaves out all the stuff that made it so unreasonable.

Agreed about the exwife and the therapy.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

How he frames the Clockgate issue drives me crazy since it leaves out all the stuff that made it so unreasonable.

Agreed about the exwife and the therapy.  

Right. The Clockgate wasn't about him making 1 comment. It was yet again about how he responded to the situation making his fans feel like he wasn't understanding the situation. Instead of saying my bad and keeping it pushing. I remember he made the situation worse to the point a fan had to create an emotional video in order to make him understand. Looks like the only thing he got out of the situation was to never apologize again. It is shame really. 

• Love 4

Also, I don't know if he doesn't know what happened in Texas or is lying to himself, but it wasn't just a case of school thought it was a bomb and called the cops.  The school said they thought the boy had a bomb, but weren't so concerned with keeping the other other students safe that they evacuated the building.  He was interrogated for 90 minutes without his parents and then handcuffed, taken to jail, and fingerprinted.  Only then were his parents called.  His presentation of the facts is seriously misleading.

• Love 12
Just now, TwistedandBored said:

Right. The Clockgate wasn't about him making 1 comment. It was yet again about how he responded to the situation making his fans feel like he wasn't understanding the situation. Instead of saying my bad and keeping it pushing. I remember he made the situation worse to the point a fan had to create an emotional video in order to make him understand. Looks like the only thing he got out of the situation was to never apologize again. It is shame really. 

I wonder if the regret over the apology was born out of his frustration this summer and him rehashing the past and revisiting past slights and his new philosophy of not apologizing for unintended slights since he's always going to offend someone.  It's a very short-sighted way of handling things but it's what he was suddenly spouting this summer.

2 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Also, I don't know if he doesn't know what happened in Texas or is lying to himself, but it wasn't just a case of school thought it was a bomb and called the cops.  The school said they thought the boy had a bomb, but weren't so concerned with keeping the other other students safe that they evacuated the building.  He was interrogated for 90 minutes without his parents and then handcuffed, taken to jail, and fingerprinted.  Only then were his parents called.  His presentation of the facts is seriously misleading.

Yeah, I really wonder how much he remembers of the facts (or what he ever knew) because like you said, he's leaving out the crucial stuff that made it so bad.  It amazing how much people really can forget (or ignore) when it's not convenient for their narrative.  He just wants to be right about that first tweet. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Right. He making it seem like it was just something simple like the teachers were following the rules when it was the opposite. No one thought it was a bomb. They just interrogated the kid and made him feel fearful for his life. 

3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I wonder if the regret over the apology was born out of his frustration this summer and him rehashing the past and revisiting past slights and his new philosophy of not apologizing for unintended slights since he's always going to offend someone.  It's a very short-sighted way of handling things but it's what he was suddenly spouting this summer.

Nah! This seemed like something he was stewing for a while now. But maybe he saw the dudebros being okay with his comments against Beyonce and the Mosque situation and thinks he can get away with not apologizing now. This will ultimate cost him though. Seems like the Trump era is making a lot of people feel embolden nowadays. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, TwistedandBored said:

But maybe he saw the dudebros being okay with his comments against Beyonce and the Mosque situation and thinks he can get away with not apologizing now. This will ultimate cost him though. Seems like the Trump era is making a lot of people feel embolden nowadays. 

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

This would be my guess. He's become more of an egomaniac in the years since and seen his bullshit validated by some with each furore and those two things combined have made him rethink any growth or understanding he might have gotten after his first big social furore.  He's Stephen Amell, he doesn't have to apologise to anyone. 

Seriously the nan man has a bigger ego then some actual massive REAL celebrities and actors. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, bijoux said:

Not to dredge up old stuff, but what was the deal with SA and RG? I don’t remember that.

Are you talking about what Stephen said in the podcast?

About how he made a joke during filming of Rene's wedding speech? I rolled my eyes at that. Because of course Rick would see that as Stephen personally taking attention away from his oscar winning performance and a moment that should be all about him. Cause he's as modest as Stephen apparently. 

• Love 2

To be fair it didn't sound like it was RG being high and mighty or anything. SA said it was the first time his character had an uplifting speech (also, for context, you have EK who got I think At least 2 in s4, JH who got at least one in s5, and then obviously the rest of the cast several times over), so he wanted to make sure it was good because those speeches usually matter a bunch to the show and the character and he wanted to make sure he did a good job on it so he could get more like the rest of the cast.

I just don’t understand why it’s so wrong to apologize. When you hurt or offend people - even if you didn’t mean to - you should tell them you’re sorry.  That’s not just a social  media rule; that’s a life rule. I get that his gut instinct is always to dig his heels in and double down, but seeing apologizing as some sort of character flaw is disturbing.

For a lot of the other stuff he said (the turnaround time, fighting with the director, etc.) I agreed with his points and it all sounded perfectly reasonable - on paper. But man, his tone when you listen to that pod..ugh. It’s so haughty and self-righteous. The fact that he kept making a point of saying he talks back in front of the whole crew so everyone knows his stance, and the way he said it, didn’t do him any favors. That story that he told (for the millionth time) about asking the crew if they wanted to have fun or if they wanted to make the day on time, once again came off as dictatorial. No wonder whenever any Arrow cast goes over to The Flash set they always marvel at how everyone is dancing all the time...

Maybe the most surprising thing is how much he likes this interview. Sure, I bet it was fun for him because he got to talk to another WB star about things they could both relate to, but the end result was not great. He really has no self-awareness about how he comes off to the general public in these things.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Trisha said:

For a lot of the other stuff he said (the turnaround time, fighting with the director, etc.) I agreed with his points and it all sounded perfectly reasonable - on paper. But man, his tone when you listen to that pod..ugh. It’s so haughty and self-righteous. The fact that he kept making a point of saying he talks back in front of the whole crew so everyone knows his stance, and the way he said it, didn’t do him any favors. That story that he told (for the millionth time) about asking the crew if they wanted to have fun or if they wanted to make the day on time, once again came off as dictatorial. No wonder whenever any Arrow cast goes over to The Flash set they always marvel at how everyone is dancing all the time...

I think he feels that as the leader of the cast it's his job to set the tone, be upfront about everything, and keep things from devolving into chaos.  In some ways it sounds a bit like what Patrick Stewart was like when he first started TNG (we're not here to have fun!) but to his credit he lightened up and they still produced a quality product.  After six seasons I don't think SA is going to change, regardless of how people feel.  Contrary to what he says Arrow dies if he leaves.

• Love 4

I think one of the problems Stephen has is that he always seems to think he’s right, won’t seem to listen graciously to any other point of view and will not back down or admit that he might be wrong. It’s hard to believe that he may have been stewing on the Texas apology for so long, but it does explain why he was so determined not to apologise after the mosque debacle. 

2 hours ago, Trisha said:

That story that he told (for the millionth time) about asking the crew if they wanted to have fun or if they wanted to make the day on time, once again came off as dictatorial. No wonder whenever any Arrow cast goes over to The Flash set they always marvel at how everyone is dancing all the time...

One thing I see here is that there is probably a power imbalance at play between Stephen, as the lead actor on the show, and the crew members. He said in the podcast that people see him as “management” and it would be easy to imagine the crew would see him that way and not be inclined to go against what he wants. 

But I also think that there are crew members that will attempt to intimidate their subordinates by making me seem more difficult than I am, so that, you know, if they tell them that they can't talk to me, it allows them to exert control over the person in their department. I think so. I think that happens."

This little bit from the podcast also made me think of the tweet below. I know this was just a joke, but it could be viewed in a different light when you consider what he said in the podcast about seeming more difficult than he is and the overall working relationship with the crew. 

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's funny you should say that because a reference to what happened this summer is what first kicked off the Texasgate convo. I don't think @tv echo or I transcribed this part yet, but it's around the 1:30 mark:

SA: People also say that they want the genuine article. People are like "we like you because it looks like you are presenting a reasonable facimile of what you actually are in real life." They like it until you make a joke, and then somebody takes it way too seriously, and then you recognize that person because you've seen them write like personal attacks at your wife or whatever because I look at stuff online, and you just go 'You know what? You're an idiot. You're an idiot!"
MR: So you'll respond, you'll say "hey, by the way, f**k off"?
SA: Yeah. F**K OFF!
MR: I don't think there's anything wrong with telling the occasional person to f**k off.
SA: And man oh man, it's a shit storm.
MR: Do you ever regret it? Like 'why did I say something?'
SA: Yeah, but you know what, here's the thing. A couple of years ago - remember there was an instance where a kid brought a homemade clock into a school in Texas... [starts his Texasgate story]

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

About how he made a joke during filming of Rene's wedding speech? I rolled my eyes at that. Because of course Rick would see that as Stephen personally taking attention away from his oscar winning performance and a moment that should be all about him. Cause he's as modest as Stephen apparently. 

I thought you wrote ‘Oscar whining performance’ and l laughed. Then I realized I read it wrong. Still smiling though. Good job for that!

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Trisha said:

SA: People also say that they want the genuine article. People are like "we like you because it looks like you are presenting a reasonable facimile of what you actually are in real life." They like it until you make a joke, and then somebody takes it way too seriously, and then you recognize that person because you've seen them write like personal attacks at your wife or whatever because I look at stuff online, and you just go 'You know what? You're an idiot. You're an idiot!"

Except that person he responded to wasn't the only one who pointed out what he posted on Instagram could be considered offensive, LOL. He says he looks at comments - he had to have seen all the Turkish people in his replies on Instagram commenting on the comparison because he location tagged the pic. I get wanting to clap back at someone he's seen online posting nasty things about his wife, but why didn't he respond to one of those comments?

Like I wrote earlier - if he really is railing against the perception that he's racist and prejudiced, he needs to take a few steps back to understand why people are thinking that. Doubt he'll do it though - he seems incapable of a little self-reflection at this point in his life. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 10

Someone said earlier that he gets a lot of support from the dude bros who are his fans. I wonder if that contributes to the problem. He's a fairly common dude, kinda ignorant and super petty. So if he's getting support from all these red necks and criticism from others trying to educate him, it's probably more likely to magnify his redneck side simply because it's easier and nicer to bath in the glory of the dude bros idolising him.

Isn't there some sort of research that says people in general like to listen and agree with those who represent their own views anyway?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

Like I wrote earlier - if he really is railing against the perception that he's racist and prejudiced, he really needs to take a few steps back to understand why people are thinking that. Doubt he'll do it though - he seems incapable of a little self-reflection at this point in his life. 

He seems to think he’s the smartest person in the room whether that’s a set, a twitter convo or some convention hall which I guess he justifies to himself by the level of success he’s achieved. That is not the mindset of someone willing to learn from his mistakes or people whose life experiences differ from his, and frankly “...but what about the children” is a far too often used justification for racism and other bigoted behavior.

Regarding his on set behavior, I get advocating for better working conditions especially for safety reasons but is the other stuff within his role as the lead actor? He’s still not a producer right? I guess it seems like he pulls power moves on people in roles beneath his and doesn’t say kick it up the chain of command as it were. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

So if he's getting support from all these red necks and criticism from others trying to educate him, it's probably more likely to magnify his redneck side simply because it's easier and nicer to bath in the glory of the dude bros idolising him.

I don't think you have to be a "redneck" to not like being called racist 

Edited by way2interested
40 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

I thought you wrote ‘Oscar whining performance’ and l laughed. Then I realized I read it wrong. Still smiling though. Good job for that!

I'm tempted to edit it lol ? 

4 hours ago, Trisha said:

Honestly you don't need to listen to the podcast to hear the haughtiness and self righteousness. Just reading it I totally understand why the crew probably hate him and talk to the paps about him being annasshole like Canadagraphs and KenP said they were. Sure they might tell him to his face what he wants to hear but clearly the fact that he's aware on some level that they don't entirely  respect him, tells me that they probably not so secretly think he's a douche bag. 

• Love 5

Wow so SA really is an asshole. I get putting your foot down on the working hours. Because that could be dangerous to the actor or others if they are driving home, like what happened to the Riverdale actor. However deciding to be an ass to crew member asking for help just because he didn't know who you were, is arrogant asshole behavior. 

He seems like he's no fun to work with. I get wanting to get the work done, but that doesn't mean you can't have a laugh once in awhile. 

As for Texasgate, he doesn't seem to understand what was wrong with what he said, then got he got more butthurt about the response and forgot what the issue was in the first place. His ego was hurt and that's why he doesn't feel he should have to apologize. He's learned nothing. 

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Isn't there some sort of research that says people in general like to listen and agree with those who represent their own views anyway?

I've always assumed that's why he likes Facebook so much better than Twitter. On a Facebook fan page, your posts are exposed mainly to people who have liked your page (especially now with the recent algorithm changes) so you're talking to an audience that is predisposed to be fans, which turns it into a bit of a "isn't he's so great?" echo chamber. Twitter, meanwhile, opens you up to way more people as soon as someone RTs you -- including people who have no idea who he is and aren't hesitant to call out the misguided political views of a C-list actor. 

At this point, he is who he is. It's taken me a while to realize that for me personally, the good stuff (charity work, fan interactions) doesn't outweigh the bad stuff (mayo jar, the constant doubling down, the inability to recognize or interrogate his white privilege). For now, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show because I can still separate him from his character, but I can get why people are over all of it.

I'm also wondering why he seems to have no one to advise him against this sort of interview? The podcast was obviously something he went into with a strategy (as @quarks mentioned, him talking about his limited future on the show felt like contract negotiation signaling), but his strategy is BAD. Knowing that he's likely going to be looking for new work within the next few years, positioning yourself as someone who pushes back against the network/studio and your own crew is an odd choice...

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 12

The funny thing is, SA's hardcore stans are claiming this to be the best interview he's ever done. And I'm here like...um say what?

Personally I think he should just be quiet because every time he opens his mouth he says something offensive and just comes across like the most arrogant person in the world. 

• Love 6

I think he's like Ralph Dibney on The Flash.  When Dibney came on, we all knew that he'd get super special treatment on the show since he's white, male and a mask. But Dibney himself would probably have said he gets treated the same as anyone else.  I bet SA thinks that he also gets treated the same as anyone else and he's got to where he got through his own hard work.

Remember when he just didn't get that people were being bullied on his Facebook page?

18 minutes ago, Trisha said:

I'm also wondering why he seems to have no one to advise him against this sort of interview? The podcast was obviously something he went into with a strategy (as @quarks mentioned, him talking about his limited future on the show felt like contract negotiation signaling), but his strategy is BAD. Knowing that he's likely going to be looking for new work within the next few years, positioning yourself as someone who pushes back against the network/studio and your own crew is an odd choice...

I wonder how much he had been drinking.  He's probably sober on set but off-set it feels like he and some of the others (even EBR) drink more than is good.

9 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

Right. He making it seem like it was just something simple like the teachers were following the rules when it was the opposite. No one thought it was a bomb. They just interrogated the kid and made him feel fearful for his life.

I think the teachers really did believe it was a bomb because he came from an Arabic family even though he was just a young kid. That's where I think the horror of the situation was.

(Ironically if it had been a white kid who brought a gun to school, there would have been people proud of him for protecting himself.)

38 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Yes, that's the problem with the internet because you can arrange it so that you only listen to people who think the same way you do, and then the echo chamber just makes things worse and worse.

9 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Echo chamber.  He didn't used to be so arrogant or unaware of different points of view a few years ago.  He needs to open up the circle of people he listens to.

The attitude of "I wouldn't work on another TV show shot in Canada if it's more than 10 episodes" is really bad.  You get what you get, dude.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The attitude of "I wouldn't work on another TV show shot in Canada if it's more than 10 episodes" is really bad.  You get what you get, dude.

I remember Matthew Fox making a big deal towards the end of LOST that he was done with television as well because he'd gotten famous, rich and was getting decent movie offers while on the show. Where's Matthew Fox now?

Stephen shouldn't count that he's going to walk out of the show into whatever role he wants with the freedom to be picky. Arrow very well could be as good as it gets for him. 

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

I remember Matthew Fox making a big deal towards the end of LOST that he was done with television as well because he'd gotten famous, rich and was getting decent movie offers while on the show. Where's Matthew Fox now?

IIRC he was simply tired of TV, wasn't just going for movies (I believe he booked some play at the London stage) and even stated that if it doesn't work out he'll leave acting behind. 

A more apt comparison might have been Evangeline Lilly and her public declarations for a break, that...never really happened. 

SA's segment (including Cody Rhodes and Christopher Daniels) starts at around the 5:50 mark and continues until around the 12:00 mark...

ALL US | "The World Is Watching" | Episode Six
Published on Aug 29, 2018, by Cody

ALL IN is here and happens Saturday on PPV, FITE and ROH Honor Club.  Cody hosts the final ALL US episode which features a look at Pro Wrestling Tees (One Hour Tees) in Chicago's  involvement in this event.  Plus a special look at the training of Stephen Amell as he gets ready to face Christoper Daniels at ALL IN.

Edited by tv echo
5 hours ago, wingster55 said:

IIRC he was simply tired of TV, wasn't just going for movies (I believe he booked some play at the London stage) and even stated that if it doesn't work out he'll leave acting behind. 

A more apt comparison might have been Evangeline Lilly and her public declarations for a break, that...never really happened. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/m.eonline.com/amp/news/165012/matthew-fox-and-evangeline-lilly-say-they-re-done-with-television-after-lost

17 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

17 hours ago, bijoux said:

Honestly, I don’t know if this is something that was brought up before or only in the podcast. I think @BkWurm1 mentioned something upthread. It’s probably from the podcast.

13 hours ago, bijoux said:

What did SA do during the scene? 

Yeah, i was referring to RG being precious about his big scene (wedding speech) and getting upset over SA riffing an off the cuff joke during or after it during rehearsal to as he said "lighten the mood" when they were first starting up.  I'm going to try and be nice and assume RG was really nervous or that not sticking to the script threw him off or he was being super protective of his "moment" and was worried they'd use the joke.

• Love 1

I expected it, I knew it was gonna happen but man, I'm still annoyed and just a little bit baffled that none of the individual writers who in the past were so eager to RT or like anything from cast members, the writers' official account, nor Beth RT'd SA's tweet about Emily. Like I said I expected it but I'm still disappointed I was right. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Chaser said:

HVFF is doing a NTA photo op and the replies are yikes.

HVFFF kind of set themselves up for what they got.  That was a very bad question to ask, lol.   For point of reference:

• Love 2

Barely anybody ever asks for NTA, even Reddit. 

I can see RG being very intense about his big speech, but it pretty much all ran hollow once the "gotcha" moment came and he was revealed as the rat and the spent the next few episodes with his only lines as "this doesn't change anything hoss!"

• Love 10

I'm glad RG called SA out since SA seems like he doesnt want people to interfere with his work so treat others the same.

I just hope that SA can adapt easily or is the sole lead character of a new show after Arrow ends because it definitely feels like power has gone to his head.

• Love 2