Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I think the writing did try to lay basis for viewers to feel torn, what with attaching to newbies to their designated OTA members for the first part of the season. Except the newbies aren't at all torn now, just sniping out biting remarks where they really have no place. It's not just that the OTA doesn't seem bothered by them, it's that the newbies don't seem to at all care about OTA, except to stick it to them. And after all that, I could maybe, possibly, if I squinted just right see the possibility of reconciliation after the n00bs drank some truth tea and ate a lot of crow. If they were actually going about the same goal as OTA only approaching it from a different angle. Namely, saving the city and innocent people living in it. That would give everyone common ground. Yet, after the split I was given no reason to believe they at all cared about SC. All they care about is playing around with each other. As someone said, they're cosplaying as heroes.

• Love 20

I know myself well enough to say that I will never warm up to NTA, if I am being honest I never really did. 

The show sealed the deal in 6 x 11 for me. The writing is horrible, the Characters attitudes are even worse.  For me it comes to 1. Can't trust Rene ever, he has outed Oliver twice now, two strikes not willing to chance a third, 2. Dinah only seems to believe in revealing  secrets when it benefits her but expects everyone to be upfront with her. Also, this revenge of killing the people who killed my lover is so old and overdone , I just don't care and 3. Curtis, his attitude really stinks and just annoys me.  There is nothing I like about his character and he for me adds nothing to the team.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the show never gave me a reason to care about the three of them, so all this did for me was take up screen time for the characters that I have watched and loved for 6 seasons  and want NTA to leave the show. 

I know we need to sometimes bring in fresh faces and I am not against that, in fact I welcome it but you can't force me to get invested in a character without development. Just because you say a character is BC doesn't mean I automatically like them, give me a reason, show me why I should invest and like this character.

• Love 24
2 hours ago, leopardprint said:

They are reaping what they have sown by the hamfisted way Rene, Dinah and to a lesser extent Curtis were brought on the team. They were basically like temps who were brought in and now they aren’t really needed anymore but are still there except temps provide necessary if of short duration work and I don’t l know that I can say anything about Rene is necessary. 

And yet, Ragman worked.

I think the problem is too much writing for them too soon. WM and MG have said that they had a ball writing for WD and so they wrote and wrote for him (that awful gun episode that was supposed to make all of us feel sympathy for him) but they completely missed the boat and the only time I have any sympathy for him is when he's far, far in the background.  They had the opposite problem with Evelyn because they never wrote anything about her that I could connect with.

Instead of the slow build-up for Roy and Thea and even Lance that got us feeling sympathy for them, they shoved the n00bs in our faces and expected us to connect with them just because.

There's a reason for focus groups. If they had run some in the summer between last season and this one or even read the social media (topic!), they would have figured out that the audience needed to connect more with the n00bs because they tried this civil war storyline.

48 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I think the writing did try to lay basis for viewers to feel torn, what with attaching to newbies to their designated OTA members for the first part of the season. Except the newbies aren't at all torn now, just sniping out biting remarks where they really have no place. It's not just that the OTA doesn't seem bothered by them, it's that the newbies don't seem to at all care about OTA, except to stick it to them.

And this.  They have to stop writing for their own amusement and look at how the viewers are reacting.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, NoNameBrand said:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I think I should have been more clear maybe. Mentioning a person when you have a critique, like "what you said was problematic and here's why" is okay. But sending "@________ I hate you and you suck and f*** you you should die" is not. There's a difference, and sometimes I think people cross the line when they are passionate about something. I know I have been guilty of it before, and it isn't just contained to social media IMO. 

Amell has a really thin skin, and whenever there is criticism directed towards anything he's involved in he throws a hissy fit. He quits social media and then comes back and talks about how negative it all is, not realizing that social media is a huge part of why he is so successful with his cons and his wine, and the show in general. He talks a big talk on Facebook about how people shouldn't get offended by things and/or be so sensitive because "it's just a tv show", but then he's the most sensitive to criticism and attacks. 

Not untrue, lol.  But I think he's getting better.  Still has a weird affection/bias toward Facebook though.  

I'm not on twitter, but my personal opinion regarding interacting with anyone online in any medium is - don't say something to them online that you wouldn't say to their face if you were to meet them at a con or something like that.  If you wouldn't go up to an actor at a con and tell them how much you hate the character they're playing, don't @ them with that kind of stuff either.  That's probably old-fashioned of me, but it's not something I'm ever going to change my opinion on.  It seems like people think that online discourse takes away all the rules of polite interaction that go into normal face to face conversations, and personally, I don't think it does. 

But that's just my opinion.

• Love 12

Personally I think tagging an actor to hate on their character is a little strange because if you really want to rage (and your rage to be heard by the right people), why not just tag the show and writers/EP's? But at the same time, I do think characters are fair game. As long as no one is sending the actors hate about their appearance or whatever, I don't really see the harm in being a bit annoyed over their character? I think a lot of it comes down to how things are phrased. If you're just gonna be a rude asshole about it, don't bother. But constructive criticism seems fair, IMO. 

But again, most of that should be directed at the writers and EP's.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 8

I think fans like to interact with the actors and twitter makes it very easy. I do find it weird to tag an actor out of the blue but if they live tweet the episode or tweet about the character it’s like they are starting the conversation so in that case I find it normal that they get replies, good or bad..in the end they want people to talk about them and you can’t only get praises in life. Also criticism towards a character is first and foremost towards the writing so unless people are saying the character doesn’t work because the actor sucks at his/her job I don’t get the drama. And if their ego can’t take it they simply can stop checking what people say..they have verified accounts so it’s the easiest thing.

• Love 6

In other news, I'm not sure how I feel about Carina Mackensie instagramming Stephens kid covering her face with her toy cause I'm assuming she doesn't want her picture taken. Or just instagramming someone else's kid at all.

time with Oliver left her with a love for him that would always be inside her, a strange sisterly affection with a hum of romance underneath

Doesn't that basically describe Barry and Iris. 

21 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

In other news, I'm not sure how I feel about Carina Mackensie instagramming Stephens kid covering her face with her toy cause I'm assuming she doesn't want her picture taken. Or just instagramming someone else's kid at all.

It's especially rich considering she once tweeted this:

• Love 3
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I'm pretty sure that they thought people wanted to see OTA together again 

My frustration with this is that we're not really seeing OTA, not really. Occasional shots of them standing around in the bunker is not enough. They're still hanging out with the newbs half the time. I also want Felicity to be in the field with them ala Season 2.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mary0360 said:

I know I have said it before but she rubs me the wrong way. It's like she is so desperate to be in his (their) inner circle that she doesn't seem to get how strange she comes across. 

• Love 3

Last Christmas, I was given the book, Arrow: Oliver Queen's Dossier, by Nick Aires (copyright 2016 by DC Comics), but I only recently finished reading it. It includes information, documents and files supposedly collected by Oliver during Seasons 1 through 3, including intel on criminals, allies, people, weapons, and places, plus some "handwritten" notes by Oliver. Here's some interesting data from that book.....

Felicity Facts:

Felicity Megan Smoak was born on July 24, 1989.

She placed 2nd in the 2008 National Information Technology Competition (at age 19).

She received a master's degree in Cyber Security and Computer Science from M.I.T. on June 5, 2009 (at age 19).

While at M.I.T., she did not take any forensic science electives, but specialized in virus creation.

According to Felicity's Queen Consolidated ("QC") I.T. Department Personnel File (based on screenshot used on Arrow), she started working at QC as IT Support on October 24, 2011.  

Her Jung Typology Test Results were "INTJ." Her Personality Profile: "SUBJECT IS A PERFECTIONIST AND PRAGMATIST, YET INSECURE IN AREAS OUTSIDE HER EXPERTISE. SHE IS A SYSTEM BUILDER AND IS HIGHLY CONFIDENT IN AREAS SUCH AS COMPUTER SCIENCE AND SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, YET IS PRONE TO SOCIAL AWKWARDNESS. (TESTER’S NOTE: UNDERSCORING THIS TEST RESULT, FELICITY SEEMS TO LACK THE ABILITY TO SELF-CENSOR HER THOUGHTS WHEN SHE IS FLUSTERED AND HAS A TENDENCY TO BABBLE WHEN EMBARRASSED, WHICH COULD PROVE PROBLEMATIC IN THE WORKPLACE.) (FOR A MORE DETAILED ANALYSIS OF PERSONALITY TYPE INTJ, PLEASE REFER TO THE TEST RESULTS MANUAL.)" 

Her IQ is 170 (Genius Level).*

(* Elsewhere in this dossier, Oliver notes that Ray Palmer's IQ is 140, so Ray's IQ is lower than Felicity's IQ.)

According to Felicity's Palmer Technologies Personnel File (based on screenshot used on Arrow), She started working at Palmer Tech as Vice President in 2014. She was "Selected to create a full business case package to support investment of $780M in industrial materials from Kord Enterprises... Constructed winning bid chosen over major consultancy firms based on straightforward credible approach."

She has a nut allergy.

Diggle Facts:

John Diggle was an Army Ranger (Special Forces) from 1999 to 2011. He then provided private security services from 2011 to the present.

His skills include: clearing a room or building of both physical threats and electronic threats (hidden cameras/bugs); advanced driving; hand-to-hand combat; proficiency with all manner of firearms, knives, and staff weapons; competency with swords and archery; licensed helicopter pilot; stealth expertise; intelligence gathering, decoding messages, and strategizing; and fluency in speaking Arabic.

Laurel and Lance Family Facts:

Dinah Laurel Lance was born on November 15, 1985.

Laurel received her law degree (J.D.) from Starling City University on June 16, 2010.

Quentin Larry Lance was born on January 3, 1963.

Quentin and Dinah Lance were married on February 15, 1985. They legally separated on December 1, 2007 and divorced that year. The petitioner was Dinah Lance. Dinah is a Professor of Greek and Medieval History at Central City University.

Roy Facts:

Roy's full name is Roy William Harper Jr. He was born on July 13, 1991. 

Nyssa Fact:

Nyssa al Ghul was born on May 10, 1985.

(Continued...)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

More from Arrow: Oliver Queen's Dossier...

Some of Oliver's Handwritten Post-It Notes About Felicity:

Re Revealing His Secret Identity to Felicity When Injured (1x14) –

Maybe not the best way to get Felicity to join the team.

Re Felicity (1x14) –

Started building computers when she was 7. Why am I not surprised?

Re Winnick Norton AKA Dodger (1x15) -

Norton was REALLY lucky I didn’t kill him for what he did to F.

Re Dominic Alonzo Involvement in Walter Steele Disappearance (1x21) –

Sleazebag accountant Harold Backman laundered $2 million for this lowlife on Dec 12 – the same day Walter went missing. Can’t be a coincidence. But who hired Alonzo? Need to get into his records. Even the Arrow can’t slip past his private army unnoticed.

Felicity can count cards. If she gets caught, Alonzo will probably have her brought into his office, close to his computer, and she can plant a bug. If he catches her, hopefully he’ll give her a friendly warning and not a bullet…

Re Arrow Cave (S2 pics) –

Felicity made a “few improvements.” Kept the ladder though…

Re Felicity (2x02) - 

Hacker *
Codebreaker 
Card counter 
Stress eater 
Bomb diffuser  
Earthquake machine diffuser  
My Girl Wednesday Friday
(Do not ask her for coffee. That won’t be happening. Ever.)

(* The little boxes above are supposed to be check marks, but they didn't copy over well.)

Re Mermaid Skin Cream in Dollmaker investigation (2x03) – 

Super high end. Only carried in 4 stores.
N.B. Reimburse Felicity for purchases.

Re Barry Allen (2x09) –

Injected me with rat poison. Rat poison! And I’m supposed to thank him for that?
(Since I am still alive, maybe I’ll thank him later. Maybe. And Felicity, too, even though she shouldn’t have told him my secret.)

Re the Fern (3x01) –

Thrives on low light. Felicity thought the place could use a little “sprucing,” since I’m living here.

Re Ray Palmer (3x01) –

We agree on something. “This city still needs saving.”
Porcupine flatulence? Don’t mess with Felicity Smoak!

(Continued...)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

Some last tidbits from Arrow: Oliver Queen's Dossier...

Oliver's Handwritten Notes About Ra’s al Ghul:

Wing ta lao wo chey.
(The tale to be told begins thus.)
Can’t believe I’m actually considering the “employment offer from Evil Incorporated,” but sometimes to defeat our enemy you have to become them first. So I’ll train with the League of Assassins. I’ll become Al Sah-him. Then I’ll become Ra’s al Ghul.

Ra’s said I was the first person in 67 years to challenge him. How old is this guy? Has he been using some kind of fountain of youth? Or is the name “Ra’s al Ghul” just a title given to whoever leads the League of Assassins?

Apparently it’s both. The Lazarus Pit on Nanda Parbat saved Thea’s life when doctors and all their modern medicines couldn’t help her. After the wonders of Mirakuru and metahumans, I shouldn’t be surprised, but even after seeing Thea’s recovery with my own eyes, I can hardly believe it.

Mentions of Felicity on Oliver's List titled “Who’s Seen the Man Under the Hood":

Felicity Smoak – I was losing a lot of blood and needed help from someone trustworthy.
Count Vertigo – Connected the dots from Felicity to me.
Made the mistake of threatening the life of a person I would break my vow not to kill in order to protect.
Barry Allen – Felicity and Diggle told him. I guess saving my life is a good enough reason…

From Barry Allen's Handwritten Notes:

Always late – gah!
Vigilante working same case! 
Felicity  
Met  !  I knew the vigilante had partners!
Ask about green.
Me + I = F + Q

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

Thanks @tv echo

It sounds like a fun read.

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

She received a master's degree in Cyber Security and Computer Science from M.I.T. on June 5, 2009 (at age 19).

According to Felicity's Queen Consolidated ("QC") I.T. Department Personnel File (based on screenshot used on Arrow), she started working at QC as IT Support on October 24 2011.

What did Felicity do in those missing 28 months?

When did Diggle learn Arabic? ( Don't they speak Pashto in Afghanistan? )

Perfectionist viewers need to know.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

It would make a lot more sense to me if Felicity graduated with her Bachelor's of Science in 2009 and then graduated with her masters in 2011, a few months  before she started at Queen Consolidated. Even if she did an accelerated master's program at MIT she would have been in college for at least 3-4 years. If she graduated MIT at 19, that would mean she graduated high school at 15 or 16. But we know she attended all four years of high school, per her conversation with Oliver about the Mathletics competition. It's hard for me to imagine any school district allowing a 11-12 year old to attend high school (as opposed to being home schooled). So I'm going to assume the book got that detail slightly wrong.

31 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

It would make a lot more sense to me if Felicity graduated with her Bachelor's of Science in 2009 and then graduated with her masters in 2011, a few months  before she started at Queen Consolidated. Even if she did an accelerated master's program at MIT she would have been in college for at least 3-4 years. If she graduated MIT at 19, that would mean she graduated high school at 15 or 16. But we know she attended all four years of high school, per her conversation with Oliver about the Mathletics competition. It's hard for me to imagine any school district allowing a 11-12 year old to attend high school (as opposed to being home schooled). So I'm going to assume the book got that detail slightly wrong.

One of my classmates was 12 when he started high school.  He is super brilliant.  He attended all four years of high school, graduated at 16, and went on to go to Stanford to get his PhD...so it can happen.

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, bijoux said:

First remotely interesting fact about the Lance family in a good long while - Dinah was very much pregnant with Laurel when she and Lance tied the knot.

I'm coming up with nine months exactly (February 15 to November 15).   Which is still awfully quick but doesn't necessarily mean she was pregnant when they got married.  

According to Felicity's Queen Consolidated ("QC") I.T. Department Personnel File (based on screenshot used on Arrow), she started working at QC as IT Support on October 24 2011.

Either the start dates were retconned or she did something besides IT when she first worked at Queen Industries because Oliver's 3rd year flashback places Felicity as working there already.  And i think that works out to be at least no later than 2010. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

I graduated at 16. I was also attending a university full time. I tested out of 18 hours. I received 2 BS degrees when I was 18 and was one month into my 20th year when I completed my 2nd MS. So it can be done. 

OMG you clever cookie!!!!! I barely scraped through uni! Every semester I did a "deal with god" so that I could pass various classes! (Not even remotely religious!)

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

I graduated at 16. I was also attending a university full time. I tested out of 18 hours. I received 2 BS degrees when I was 18 and was one month into my 20th year when I completed my 2nd MS. So it can be done. 

I take your word for it. (That's awesome, BTW!) But now I really want to know what Felicity was doing between graduation and starting her job at QC.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm coming up with nine months exactly (February 15 to November 15).   Which is still awfully quick but doesn't necessarily mean she was pregnant when they got married.  

I honestly read her birthdate as May. I don’t even know how that happened. My only defense is that I’m battling a cold or the beginning stage of the flu.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

17 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Either the start dates were retconned or she did something besides IT when she first worked at Queen Industries because Oliver's 3rd year flashback places Felicity as working there already.  And i think that works out to be at least no later than 2010. 

There's where I found a contradiction in the book. The book includes a pic of Felicity's resume (supposedly) in which it states that she started work at QC as IT Support in 2009. However, the book also includes a pic of the screenshot of her QC personnel file (from the show) which states that her employment start date was October 24, 2011. So I decided that the QC personnel file screenshot was more reliable and went with the 2011 date.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Wait, what year was it when Oliver went back to Star City in the season 3 flashbacks and saw Felicity when he broke into QC? 

Sorry, I dont know why I didn't see that already addressed in the post! Haven't had my coffee yet. 

Edited by lemotomato

It was Episode 314 (The Return), which aired Feb. 18, 2015, when Oliver saw Felicity in the QC offices in flashback. Assuming that S3 lined up with Oliver's third year flashbacks, then @BkWurm1 is correct that this would put Felicity working at QC in 2010. The show has made continuity errors before.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Here's the contradiction in the dossier book regarding Felicity's start date at QC (2011 or 2009)...

tumblr_oghn8a4zei1vfaqe4o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_oghn8a4zei1vfaqe4o7_1280.jpg

I'm just going to chalk up a typo in the personnel file to account for the discrepancy.  I'll assume that she was hired as a very low level, common IT grunt in 2009 but by 2011 she was a slightly higher level IT specialist and that when she made the slight upgrade in her job, the people down in HR messed up her start date.  Or something like that.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5

That's Cecile from the Flash, right?  Hanging in LA?  We know EBR was in LA over the weekend but I wonder if she had a few days off from filming and hung out for awhile?  What episode are they shooting now?

6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

That's Cecile from the Flash, right?  Hanging in LA?  We know EBR was in LA over the weekend but I wonder if she had a few days off from filming and hung out for awhile?  What episode are they shooting now?

6x17. Both SA and EBR were in LA at least till Tuesday. 

• Love 3

Since we're talking about the lack of Arrow sneak peeks/previews, apparently the only reason why the stills for tonight's episode were released on Monday was because fans had asked Suzanne Gomez to do it. 

I thought I was used to her incompetence, but damn. Is there no one else that works in that department?

• Love 12