Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I'm interested to see what comes out of SDCC too. I notice Caity Lotz isn't on the list of announced guests.

I really want to get other takes on the Black Canary situation and Laurel from people who aren't Katie Cassidy. And it would definitely be interesting to see how she reacts to the inevitable Olicity questions.

I assume/guess that CL will be the surprise guest, just like Barrowman was last year.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't wonder but with her name being included in the Upfronts PR, her coy comments in Chile about not being able to talk about appearing in S3 of Arrow, along with AKs tweet to Bradon Routh about needing CL back in one piece. I have to assume CL will play a significant role in S3.

• Love 2
(edited)

I saw on Twitter that Barrowman will be on the panel

John Barrowman will join the Arrow team panel at San Diego Comic Con on Saturday 26 July and will sign autographs on 26 and 27 July. John Barrowman News (@Team_Barrowman)

Edited by catrox14

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't wonder but with her name being included in the Upfronts PR, her coy comments in Chile about not being able to talk about appearing in S3 of Arrow, along with AKs tweet to Bradon Routh about needing CL back in one piece. I have to assume CL will play a significant role in S3.

I think too but we will have to see when we see her in Season 3. Along with the above observations, Amell had said at Denver that "The Arrow world is more fun with the canary in it" when Caity Lotz answered "No Comment" to a question whether she has signed a contract for Season 3.

(edited)

You know what I found hilarious about that? When he was close to finishing his little routine and transitioned to chin-ups, I swear it was like he relaxed and caught his breathe while doing the chin-ups. That is just not normal, lol.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I suspect that at this year's SDCC, the show will be promoting KC (among other things) as a lead-up to next season's propping of Laurel and that the panel will not disclose anything spoilerish about next season's relationships.  Any questions about Oliver/Felicity or Laurel will result in coy answers or laughed-off joke answers.  The cast will appear to all get along and be BFFs.  

• Love 1

The key at the Con will be how many on the audience respond accordingly.  If we respond badly, the studio will force changes so fast you wouldn't believe it.  My favorite example of this is from a couple years ago at the panel for After Earth.  Most of us were there for one of the later panels and knew nothing about this movie.  The way the producers described the premise sounded mildly interesting and they got a decent response when Will Smith was announced.  Then they excitedly revealed that Shyamalan was directing and the interest dropped so fast, and with so much vocal negativity (easily one of the funniest Con moments I've experienced), that every promotion for the movie leading up to its release made zero mention of who was directing.  

So, if the producers make a point of talking up Laurel, as a prominent character/love interest/Black Canary, then they better fill Ballroom 20 with nothing but Laurel fans because there's a very good chance that they'll get negative feedback (and Warner Bros. is all over the Con so they'll know the second their audience doesn't like something).  I make it a point to not boo at panels, as I prefer to just cheer more loudly for what I support, but plenty of others don't feel that way and will make their opinions known.  And the youtube videos of the panels will reflect audience reactions, so there won't be any way Katie's PR team can spin it if there's a strong negative reaction to Laurel (especially if Caity gets a positive one if she's the surprise panelist-and I will absolutely be going nuts if she is).

• Love 2

Well we know from last year's SDCC that EBR got the most cheers, followed by DR.  Olicity also got ridiculously positive reactions from the audience, so much so that the actors (DR and EBR) commented on Olicity.  

I really didn't think people boo'd at Cons like SDCC but it would be interesting to see what happens if they push KC=BC and the audience reacts.  Who knows maybe I'm wrong and KC/Laurel/BC will be hugely popular?  While I don't expect boo's I would expect KC to get a tepid audience reaction, same as last year.  

I've never attended one of the con things but I imagine crickets would have the exact same effect booing would. I can't wait to see the panel and what goodies they have to reveal about s3 and also preview clips.

I would hate it if they got boos, because it's rude and would ruin the tone of the event. On the other hand, I think they know that they have problems with the reception of the Laurel character (to say the least), and therefore the reaction would be tepid at best. So I hope they wouldn't play that up or have it be a big centerpiece of the panel, because, yeah, I think that would be a bummer.

On another note, SA's Facebook note about this indicates he'll be doing a few other big things at SDCC and it leads me to wonder whether he really might make an appearance in an upcoming DC movie.

I think if the actor is going to take the time to come to one of these things (I know they get paid but still) the least the audience can do is show them a little respect. You don't have to like the actor, their character or their show, but coming there just to boo and hiss is, at the very least, rude.

• Love 2

I think if the actor is going to take the time to come to one of these things (I know they get paid but still) the least the audience can do is show them a little respect. You don't have to like the actor, their character or their show, but coming there just to boo and hiss is, at the very least, rude.

Yeah, I wouldn't want anyone to get booed; that's got to be awful.

I've never seen an actor boo'd at a panel they attended, normally people just don't clap or give a half-hearted cheer...they make it obvious that they don't like something simply by not reacting to it. However, I have been to Cons where characters are boo'd as long as the actor isn't present.  For instance, I went to an ST con years ago (Peter David, I think) and he mentioned Wesley Crusher...audience most definitely boo'd.

I don't approve of booing an actor, however if I don't like the actor or character I just won't clap...it's my mini-protest.

I'm interested in the reaction Cassidy gets at SDCC.

I don't know how crowded her panels get since she doesn't allow taping, but then again a full crowd doesn't mean much either if there's another panel after hers that people are waiting for or if there's nothing else to do. 

(edited)

I've never been to SDCC but I've watched a lot of YouTube videos of panels from it.  If I recall, there's usually two other panels where Arrow members might appear - one about Women Who Kick Ass on tv and one about TV Guide's fan-voted Fave TV Shows.  Didn't KC also appear on one of those panels in the past?

In the SDCC videos I've watched, I've never heard booing when cast members are announced (just louder applause for some members than others), but I've heard booing in response to answers given by panel members.

Edited by tv echo

Yea, I don't foresee booing..maybe less enthusisatic applause, but that may not happen either.

Is there a list of who's appearing? I can assume most everyone will be there but so far, (based on tweets I've seen) I only know of Amell, Holland and Barrowman. 

The whole gang's going to be there.

From the media thread, posted at TVLine:

5:30 pm Arrow (The CW) | Stars Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey, Emily Bett Rickards, Colton Haynes, Willa Holland, Paul Blackthorne and John Barrowman with executive producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg. (Ballroom 20)

The whole gang is also coming to the WB premiere thing, although I think that event is mostly focusing on Constantine and Gotham (especially Constantine with its timeslot from hell.)  And there's various other panels that individuals could be on.

The Women Who Kick Ass panel got mildly ugly last year, and I would think that after that, the conrunners would only want women who had recently appeared in unquestioned fighting roles on it. So I wouldn't expect Katie Cassidy, EBR or Willa Holland to be on that panel. Caity Lotz, if she shows up to Comic Con, sure, or Katrina Law or Kelly Hu or Celina Jade - the actual fighters on the show.  But not the others, whatever Cassidy may be saying about her upcoming role. But I'm sure there's several other panels cast members can pop up on.

They really ought to have an archery panel focused on Oliver Queen, Hawkeye, Katniss and Arya :)  

(edited)

At last year's SDCC, Emily Bett Rickards was part of the TV Guide Fan Favorites Panel:

Each panelist was asked a few questions.  Emily's segment starts at 14:52.  She said that Felicity is Oliver's "polygraph" and demands total honesty from him at all times.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Cassidy belongs no where near the Women Who Kick Ass Panel. Not when they had the likes of Michelle Rodriquez, Tatiana Maslany, Katee Sackhoff, Maggie Q and Danai Gurira as last year's panelists. If Caity Lotz were a bigger name, I could see her there. The character Cassidy is playing now is the complete opposite of a woman that kicks ass. 

EBR will probably be at the fan favorite again this year. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Ah, thanks JenMD. I'm curious of Stephen's announcements and how he's going to win SDCC (which I have no doubt he will).

Also...how did Julie Plec land on a "Fan Favorites" panel? Nothing makes sense anymore. 

EBR will probably be at the fan favorite again this year.

I don't think so..I think they change it every year. 

This was one of the descriptions of the Women Who Kick Ass panel:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/a-day-inside-comic-cons-hall-h-worshipping-in-the-ultimate-movie-church/

It generated some further comments/debate on various internet forums, and it got brought up at other convention panels. So I'd imagine that if the con runs that panel again, they are going to take triple care to restrict it (for now) to actresses known for doing fighting roles. 

And yeah, panelists are often selected just on the basis of availability, and not necessarily any connection to or even interest in the panel in question.

In the panel clip, EBR says that when they get back in season 2, there's a lot of tension between the three again and that will span over the season.  SA referred to the scene in Unthinkable being a culmination of Oliver and Felicity's arc through the season so it sounds like the EPs told her that part of the plan at least for Felicity by then.

(edited)

Oliver/Felicity/Diggle. ..I don't know how much they knew but they had filmed the QC confrontation before SDCC. I always take actors comments to be about scenes they either just shot or something from a script they just read. I find the EPs talk about broader story details while actors go for specific scenes.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Oh ok that's fair enough. I think I zoomed in on the tension throughout the season.

Cutting Room Floor? Hanging out with Isabel during those 10 episodes she disappeared? LOL

It's possible the writers told the actors there's going to be tension but dropped it. It's possible there's stuff we never saw. Or maybe there was stuff that we were supposed to view as tension but got overlooked? I'm thinking of the Oliver/Felicity fight scene in 202 over being the EA.

Ohhhh right ok well. Hmm I guess I never saw it as tension between the three of them, the Isabel thing anyway. But the beginning with Diggle and Carly's ditched relationship and Felicity's unhappiness at her demotion, yes I see that. Huh actually now that I think of it there were a few tense moments for the team that I've overlooked.

There was also the tension in the premiere because F&D wanted him to be the Hood guy and O didn't want to be. For example, D&O scene after O discovered the were 4 new hoods in town and F/D/O scene after hoods came after O at QC.

(edited)

Here's an interesting idea --  Mandi Brierly from EW looked at Stephen Amell's work-out videos and remembered that back in the 80s, there was a show called Battle of the Network Stars in which the stars of shows from the 3 networks competed against each other. Want to see physically fit? Have a look at Mark Harmon.

Someone must have brought it to SA's attention because he tweeted "Set it up. I'm in."

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/06/17/stephen-amell-arrow-battle-network-stars/

The July 4, 2014 issue of Entertainment Weekly included an article following up on this EW.com post by creating its own fantasy teams for a new "Battle of the Network Stars".  In this new battle, EW proposed teams for the different networks.  Team The CW would have Stephen Amell as Captain and include as team members: Jensen Ackles, Tyra Banks, Nina Dobrev, Adelaide Kane, Jared Padalecki, Paul Wesley, and Emily Bett Rickards.  EW also suggested the following events: kayak relay, dunk tank, running relay, obstacle course, and tug-of-war.  Proposed hosts and commentators would include Jimmy Fallon and Mark Harmon.  I don't remember who they proposed for the other network teams and commentators, but you can probably locate a copy of this issue in your local library.  I thought it was interesting that EBR was included on the CW team.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)
Also...how did Julie Plec land on a "Fan Favorites" panel? Nothing makes sense anymore.

If I recall, TV Guide holds a poll in which viewers vote on their favorite tv shows.  Those fan favorite tv shows are then represented in the "fan favorites" panel at SDCC.  I don't know who decides who represents the tv shows on the panel.  Julie Plec was there as a representative of The Vampire Diaries.

The fan favorites panel at SDCC in 2012(?) was hilarious - it included Nathan Fillion (Castle), Joel McHale (Community), Matt Smith (Doctor Who), Maggie Q (Nikita) and Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead), among others.  There was a lot of good-natured snarking, esp. between Fillion and McHale.  Lots of laughter on the panel.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The fan favorites panel at SDCC in 2012(?) was hilarious - it included Nathan Fillion (Castle), Joel McHale (Community), Matt Smith (Doctor Who), Maggie Q (Nikita) and Sarah Wayne Callies (The Walking Dead), among others.  There was a lot of good-natured snarking, esp. between Fillion and McHale.  Lots of laughter on the panel.

That's why I know that those types of extra panels are anyone who's available type of thing and not an actual chosen panel. Because what was Lori Grimes doing at a fan favorite panel? She was practically the Laurel of the Walking Dead. Unless they are going with fan favorite hated characters as well as ones that people love. I know they probably try to get the actual fan favorites but when they can't they just get anyone that wants to come.

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)

The fan favorite seems to be a mix of TV Guide picks and user votes. In 2013, EBR was voted onto the panel but I believe others were picked by the magazine.

I imagine scheduling and willingness of participants factor in as well.

I saw a clip from the FL panel, Katrina was talking about Olicity and the ILY scene. She said there was a writers note in the script after the ILY...and the world takes a collective gasp .

She also mentioned watching Twitter during the episode and how it went nuts after that scene and then by the end of the episode twitter just stopped (something like that).

Edited by Morrigan2575