Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: eps1.2_d3bug.mkv

• Start Topic

Elliot has cuts and bruises that he has explained by being clumsy.

I often can't hear all of Elliot's dialogue but I thought he said he had been jumped by a bunch of kids who beat him up. (He started to admit he jumped, I think, but stammered to change it to him being jumped.)

• Love 4

I think Darlene has to be real though, since Shayla interacted with her in Elliott's apartment. 

The trouble with a narrator as unreliable as Elliot is that he could be imagining them interacting. We know that he is making every reference to "E Corp" (or whatever its actual name is) get twisted into "Evil Corp."

So IMO, the only things we can 100 percent trust as 100 percent real are the things that happen without Elliot's involvement/knowledge. So Tyrell totally beat up that bum after getting passed over as a CTO candidate, totally had sex with that dude for some hacking, then had BDSM sex with his wife. Ollie totally got blackmailed, fessed up his cheating ways to Angela and Angela threatened to break up with him but walked it back.

I'm inclined at this point to have to concede that Darlene is likely real, as the door was messed up and Shayla noticed it, and Shayla noticed Darlene.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sorry, but there is basically zero chance that Mr. Robot is a real person. Just in this last episode alone, walking into All Safe with no permission, talking pretty loudly and profanely and not drawing any attention. I just don't see how he could be real.

I wouldn't discount a red herring. It's such a hackneyed clichéd twist at this point that it would fool no one. They've established potential schizophrenia in the lead, they drop all the hints... they could be leading up to Elliott questioning his sanity... if he asks the question (Is Mr. Robot real?) before the answer is revealed, I'd wager it's all a fake out and Mr. Robot is indeed real.

This is a continuing narrative that will go into a second season already. This is a plot twist that may have worked in the past for a two hour feature film but I can't imagine it could be sustained for a long narrative. It would need to be revealed soon and then what... a conspiracy hacker show about an imaginary friend? I'm not buying it now and I'll probably check out if it goes down that road.

BTW there was a show that tried this twist... won't mention the name of the show in case someone hasn't seen it, but it was so poorly done and telegraphed that anyone paying attention should have gotten it five episodes before the twist was actually revealed. The fact that posters are guaranteeing that this is the plot twist three episodes in means they are telegraphing it, which either means the writer is embarrassingly far less clever than he believes, or he is leading the audience on. Either is possible, but whatever it turns out to be, that's going to be a big difference between this show being stupid and it being an interesting, unique one. So far it's got enough interesting, unique elements that I really hope they don't crap the bed with a dumb plot twist.

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Darlene is the hacker girl, and Shayla is the neighbor who was his drug dealer. You're confused because the two look similar and are styled almost identically.

Darlene has longer hair--that's how I am keeping them straight.

Can someone explain who the guy was that Tyrell had sex with? I got distracted by Tyrell being married but having sex wth the random guy, then going home to have 50 shades of grey with his pregnant wife while they speak to each other in different Scandinavian languages ... See it happened again! Who is that guy and why does Tyrell want to know what's on his phone?

Edited by Athena5217
  • Love 1
Can someone explain who the guy was that Tyrell had sex with?

He was the CEO of Evil Corp's secretary/assistant -- the guy who was at the front desk while Tyrell was waiting to give his pitch that never happened.

• Love 3

I feel like there was probably a much easier way to get someone's phone than having sex with them. But... I'm not a hacker so maybe that's just how things are done? 

Angela is dumb. Her best friend is a genius hacker. Call Lifelock, put a hold on you and your father's SS numbers and then either call Elliott or call the police. Don't be dumb Angela. 

• Love 5

I feel like there was probably a much easier way to get someone's phone than having sex with them. But... I'm not a hacker so maybe that's just how things are done?

I sort of got the feeling that he enjoyed it. It's a bit of a power trip and he's obviously okay with swinging both ways. Besides, the guy WAS pretty hot.

• Love 5

I wouldn't discount a red herring. It's such a hackneyed clichéd twist at this point that it would fool no one. They've established potential schizophrenia in the lead, they drop all the hints... they could be leading up to Elliott questioning his sanity... if he asks the question (Is Mr. Robot real?) before the answer is revealed, I'd wager it's all a fake out and Mr. Robot is indeed real.

This is a continuing narrative that will go into a second season already. This is a plot twist that may have worked in the past for a two hour feature film but I can't imagine it could be sustained for a long narrative. It would need to be revealed soon and then what... a conspiracy hacker show about an imaginary friend? I'm not buying it now and I'll probably check out if it goes down that road.

BTW there was a show that tried this twist... won't mention the name of the show in case someone hasn't seen it, but it was so poorly done and telegraphed that anyone paying attention should have gotten it five episodes before the twist was actually revealed. The fact that posters are guaranteeing that this is the plot twist three episodes in means they are telegraphing it, which either means the writer is embarrassingly far less clever than he believes, or he is leading the audience on. Either is possible, but whatever it turns out to be, that's going to be a big difference between this show being stupid and it being an interesting, unique one. So far it's got enough interesting, unique elements that I really hope they don't crap the bed with a dumb plot twist.

Well said.  This episode pretty much steam rolled the idea of Mr Robot not being real between the scene at AllSafe and the scene at the bar.  The only way this gets really interesting is if you're not paying attention or Mr Robot is actually real.

• Love 3

This episode has convinced me that Mr. Robot is not only in his mind, because no one acknowledges him, but Mr. Robot is probably his father as Elliott remembers him. I think the boss will figure it all out. I have a crazy theory about the other guy, who was bum fighting at the beginning, don't remember his name.......crazy theories about he and Elliot's relationship but I think I probably will put in speculation.

I really appreciate the pace of the show because I thought they would have dragged out the peeping tom guy for awhile.  The only question I have left is whether Elliot and Mr. Robot are split in his head or if Elliott is aware of what the hackers are doing when he's not there.

I'm ok with the writers making some things obvious like CSlater not being real and then surprising us with something we least expected from the friend or the "girlfriend"or the therapist (still think she's his mom) or bum fight guy.

I sort of got the feeling that he enjoyed it. It's a bit of a power trip and he's obviously okay with swinging both ways. Besides, the guy WAS pretty hot.

I'm not going to lie. I enjoyed it. Just... unless/until we see whether he uses hot receptionist for more than this one thing, I'll think that Intense!Swede probably could have found an easier way.

• Love 1

While it's natural to fixate upon whether or not Mr. Robot is real or part of Elliot's psyche, that's not the central question of the show. The fsociety vs. Evil Corp campaign will proceed in exactly the same way whether or not it's Elliot and this anarchist dude or delusional Elliot alone. Then there's the rapper-hacker and who he's working for. A third combatant? So I don't see the show being a total loss if they've ripped off Fight Club and we all figure that out.

• Love 5

I don't think there's a question of whether Mr. Robot has ripped off Fight Club. It's only a question to what extent.

The whole anti-corporation thing, and specifically the company making the cost-benefit analysis to do evil is one aspect. Been a while since I saw Fight Club, but one thing that stuck out was that Ed Norton's character blackmailed his way into having a do-nothing job by threatening to reveal that the company cut safety corners in favor of profits. 

I don't know how the scene at All-Safe or the one at the bar did anything to assure us that Mr. Robot is real. If anything, they undercut it. First, a real Mr. Robot would have to get past security and figure out where Elliot sits. Doable, but not the easiest. Then, one would think that someone would have some reaction to him talking in even a normal tone of voice about how he's not into redheads and how the whole nation of Ireland makes his dick soft.

• Love 1

I wonder if the writers realized Christian Slater as Tyler Durden would be so easily exposed. It's just blatantly obvious with each passing episode. At this point I'm hoping they just reveal it and move on. 

Tyrell went Gay Patrick Bateman. 

Can someone explain the sequence with Angela and the mugger who drops the wallet? I was waiting for the payoff of that scene but it never happened.

• Love 1

I don't think there's a question of whether Mr. Robot has ripped off Fight Club. It's only a question to what extent.

The show borrows from a lot of stuff. Fight Club and American Psycho are the most prominent sources, but there's also little things like the use of a Battlestar Galactica style font for the credits this week. And I suspect the name Tyrell is a shout out to the Tyrell Corporation in Blade Runner. Anything else?

(As a Rubicon watcher, there is little doubt in my mind that the CEO of Evil Corp. is Spangler, the head of the cabal.)

• Love 4
(edited)
Can someone explain the sequence with Angela and the mugger who drops the wallet? I was waiting for the payoff of that scene but it never happened.

Yeah, that was... odd.  I was frustrated when Ollie's comment derailed her story.  I was also somewhat confused because of the way Angela reacted. On the street she seemed to be, er, approaching "shock and dismay," but when she started relating the tale to Ollie, it sounded like she was confused about what had transpired. I mean, I thought it was fairly obvious that she gave a stolen (OBVIOUSLY LADY'S) wallet back to a thief, but she acted like there was some ambiguity to it.

I guess it was simply to demonstrate that Angela is a good person who tends to see the best in people, but she doesn't blindly extend her trust  (see: the derailment and her suspicion of a double-meaning) and/or her relationship w/Ollie is in deep trouble.  I guess.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, that was... odd. I was frustrated when Ollie's comment derailed her story. I was also somewhat confused because of the way Angela reacted. On the street she seemed to be, er, approaching "shock and dismay," but when she started relating the tale to Ollie, it sounded like she was confused about what had transpired. I mean, I thought it was fairly obvious that she gave a stolen (OBVIOUSLY LADY'S) wallet back to a thief, but she acted like there was some ambiguity to it.

I guess it was simply to demonstrate that Angela is a good person who tends to see the best in people, but she doesn't blindly extend her trust (see: the derailment and her suspicion of a double-meaning) and/or her relationship w/Ollie is in deep trouble. I guess.

It is probably also intended to be symbolic of her part in the story and/or of the the story itself. If the thief represents Evil Corps or the guy who hijacked their computers, then I guess Angela has inadvertently helped Evil Corps or the hacker. Maybe her confusion while relaying the mugging event was because she recognized that she may have been helping a digital mugger/hacker too in another area of her life.

They're probably going to drop the mugging bit, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out that the mugger and muggee are also corporate spies and/or hackers, and the wallet contains a flash drive.

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

I didn't think too deeply about Angela's mugger story, maybe I should have. What I got out of that was this: when she started telling bf the story he interrupted her and gave her the she's a good person spiel (buttering her up probably for his confession). He didn't let her finish & she just stopped talking because why bother? If you're re-considering your relationship it's moments like these that give you pause, like, he's clearly not interested in what I have to say so why bother to continue speaking? Why bother being with him at all? He can't even let me complete a thought. And so on.

But the set up was a bit much and kind of interesting so maybe it is more than it seemed to me.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 5

I didn't think too deeply about Angela's mugger story, maybe I should have. What I got out of that was this: when she started telling bf the story he interrupted her and gave her the she's a good person spiel (buttering her up probably for his confession). He didn't let her finish...

Yes, this may be the extent of it. I often see metaphors and similes that were not intended.

Angela is dumb. Her best friend is a genius hacker. Call Lifelock, put a hold on you and your father's SS numbers and then either call Elliott or call the police. Don't be dumb Angela. 

LifeLock actually leads to more instances of identity theft than not - even in people whose identities have not been stolen.

I agree with those that think the Boss looks like Daddy Keaton.  I like his character but he seems like such a weird fit for his position. So paternal of all these young employees.

Tyrell looks so much like Scott Disick (from a few years ago before facial hair).   Just when I thought he was super creepy it seems his wife is creepier.  Topping from the bottom.  His story really interested me this week.  I agree that it seems a little American Psycho but the actor is compelling.

I go back and forth with whether or not Christian Slater/Mr Robot is real or not.  It seems so obvious to me that he is part of his imagination but then I start to think the twist is that he is real.  I keep going back and forth.  I think that fact that is seems so obvious keeps throwing me.

I liked this episode.  I liked that there was not ay side plot of him rescuing someone,  I was worried they would do that every week. 

• Love 1

Did we also drop the plot about Shayla no longer having any income and Elliot not being able to get his drugs?

This episode kind of becoming the Tyrell show made me wonder. We spent a lot more time away from Elliot than we have before.

I haven't seen Rami Malek in anything before, but I think he's bringing a lot to Elliot -- that dull and lifeless quality while simultaneously having such a tightly wound and vibrant interior monologue.

• Love 2

While it's natural to fixate upon whether or not Mr. Robot is real or part of Elliot's psyche, that's not the central question of the show. The fsociety vs. Evil Corp campaign will proceed in exactly the same way whether or not it's Elliot and this anarchist dude or delusional Elliot alone. Then there's the rapper-hacker and who he's working for. A third combatant? So I don't see the show being a total loss if they've ripped off Fight Club and we all figure that out.

What then is the central question? Whether E Corps really is Evil Corps? Whether fsociety is effing society (aka "us") or just Evil Corps?

Making it personal for Elliot because of his father's death is Hollywood, but making it craziness means the show doesn't have a point of view whether the hackers are right. Making them not real means we don't even get their side, because it doesn't exist. I think this is a situation where this kind of ambiguity vitiates the drama, and the longer this nonsense is indulged the worse the effects in devaluing any and all meaning. There would just be melodrama about the tortured hero, his angst over choosing between pure love (Angela, of course,) sex slave (Shayla) and partner (Darlene,) and whether or not he winds over the evil pervs.

But then, I read Hawthorne's The Marble Faun and I've been scarred with a certainty ambiguity is not always good.

• Love 4
(edited)
But then, I read Hawthorne's The Marble Faun and I've been scarred with a certainty ambiguity is not always good.

Do you think the writers/Esmail have and are as well? ;)

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3

That's because television bdsm isn't really actual bdsm.

Even if I wasn't tipped off here from the last episode, I'd be asking if HCS was real strictly from him wandering into the work place. Because I was looking for it, I liked the bar scene because he definitely wasn't acknowledged by the bartender.

Now I'm into the show for real knowing this. Just because it was used for Fight Club doesn't mean it can't be interesting here too.

• Love 1

What then is the central question? Whether E Corps really is Evil Corps? Whether fsociety is effing society (aka "us") or just Evil Corps?

The central question is what to do about the powerlessness of citizens in a corporatized, neoliberal, capitalist world. Is anarchy the only choice, to blow everything up, including the entire global financial infrastructure, or is that simply madness that solves nothing? Whether or not HCS is real or a projection of Elliot's, fsociety is like those hackers who belong to Anonymous. Fsociety has real world equivalents. So that's the theme. With other sinister players like Tyrell and RapperHacker's group seemingly real within the narrative their maneuverings alongside E Corp and fsociety provide plenty of plot. Fight Club raises exactly the same questions about consumerism erasing genuine feeling when we find out the twist as it does before. I don't see this show being any different. In the bland world of television, ambiguity seems a good thing.

• Love 4

what's interesting between the interaction of shayla and the hacker girl is that elliot stepped between them.  i can see that as a visualization of a split personality and stepping between them makes sure they stay seperate.

I love how Esmail wears his influences on his sleeve and still manages to make this story fresh.  From Fight Club to American Psycho to the SEGA inspired font, this guy is speaking my language!  Even the music and cinematography are top shelf.  I'm in for the rest of the series. 

No mention of Flipper in this episode.  Is the dog even real?!

• Love 5

I don't have a problem if Mr Robot turns out to be Tyler Durden. It's feeling pretty obvious (even though I know people who haven't thought that and I'm trying to keep them unspoiled on the idea) but if it obvious then the important thing is that there's not too much weight put on the eventual revelation. It's a problem if there's a fairly obvious twist that relies on us being surprised by it but the show keeps adding the WTFery that there could be an interesting way they come together.

First it felt a lot like Fight Club, this episode invoked American Psycho. What critique of capitalism will come next?

(edited)

"The central question is what to do about the powerlessness of citizens in a corporatized, neoliberal, capitalist world. Is anarchy the only choice, to blow everything up, including the entire global financial infrastructure, or is that simply madness that solves nothing?"

Then the central question has been answered: Mr. Robot and fsociety are, literally, madness.  Which leaves Tyrell as the bad apple in the system, instead of there being a bad barrel, I think, with the Chinese as the evil other. And all are destined to more than defeat, they are doomed to ignominy. Not even their dogs will like them. It would be very much like the true purpose of the Mr. Robot being madness is so that Elliott can escape true guilt, and even though he is victorious in defeating the powers that be, he righteously re-affirms true morality by overcoming Mr. Robot and becoming his true self.

Well, that's all guess work at this point. Maybe Esmail genuinely has some inevitable surprises in store for us. Here's hoping.

I don't think ambiguity is a polarity to "bland." If anything, it's closely related to blandness. Sharp contrasts, bold edges, clashing colors, saturation instead of shadow..not bland, not ambiguous.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 1

Friend taking Ollie back was definitely something weird but she has a reason. Maybe she'll get elliot to punk him and set him up.

Mr robot is definitely elliot's dad.

Creepy blond e Corp guy. What a freak! And scary! I wasn't troubled by the gay sex because it was sex

Big deal. At least it wasn't rape or abusive, which we are subject ALL THE TIME with straight sex.

I bet the wife is way more psycho than he is. Yikes.

• Love 3

I was surprised that they had him cleaning up his partner with a towel afterwards. I don't think I've ever seen that depicted before, even in male-female sex scenes.

So, total gay sex noob here, was the towel to clean up all the poop? What gives?

Thanks,

Dil

• Love 1

So, total gay sex noob here, was the towel to clean up all the poop? What gives?

Thanks,

Dil

I don't know what the writers were implying the towel was being used to clean up. Ejaculate or lubricant are probably better possibilities.

Speaking from a strictly clinical perspective, most people who engage in anal sex understand that poop is only in the anus (the final few inches of the alimentary canal) just prior to exiting the body.

I'd say that two well-heeled corporate executives would probably rinse it out with a bum hose prior to having anal sex.

They'd probably use condoms too, so let's pretend it was excess lubricant.

Speaking from a strictly clinical perspective, 

<snip>

I'd say that two well-heeled corporate executives would probably rinse it out with a bum hose prior to having anal sex.

I don't know if you can say "clinical interest" regarding anal sex and "bum hose" in the same post. Is that some sort of innuendo? Does bum hose = enema? Or something else? 

You know what they say: Keep your friends close and your enemas closer!

Dil

I don't know if you can say "clinical interest" regarding anal sex and "bum hose" in the same post. Is that some sort of innuendo? Does bum hose = enema? Or something else? 

You know what they say: Keep your friends close and your enemas closer!

Dil

I was actually referring to a hose attached to the toilet or a bidet, but yes, some people use enemas before anal sex.

I was actually referring to a hose attached to the toilet or a bidet, but yes, some people use enemas before anal sex.

Do they have those in Sweden? Tyrell is from Sweden but his date wasn't so, I doubt there was a bum hose in the scenario.

Plus, only Tyrell was an executive. The other guy was the exec assistant for the big boss. 

I think we can all agree that there are better ways to get your hands on someones phone for 5 minutes. Probably a solid 90% of them don't involve gay sex (or any kind of sex for that matter). That sounds like some sort of SNL skit to me where a group is trying to figure out what to do for the evening and every idea from one of the group members invariably culminates in "and then we can pick up a guy at a bar and have gay sex!!".

Gratuitous toweling aside, I'd rather the scheme to obtain the phone were a bit more realistic and less contrived.

Dil

Do they have those in Sweden? Tyrell is from Sweden but his date wasn't so, I doubt there was a bum hose in the scenario.

Plus, only Tyrell was an executive. The other guy was the exec assistant for the big boss. 

I think we can all agree that there are better ways to get your hands on someones phone for 5 minutes. Probably a solid 90% of them don't involve gay sex (or any kind of sex for that matter). That sounds like some sort of SNL skit to me where a group is trying to figure out what to do for the evening and every idea from one of the group members invariably culminates in "and then we can pick up a guy at a bar and have gay sex!!".

Gratuitous toweling aside, I'd rather the scheme to obtain the phone were a bit more realistic and less contrived.

Dil

You could have saved us a lot of time and just said that you didn't care for the writers using gay sex as a plot device.

All of the curiosity about poop and enemas was a bit contrived if your real goal was to express disapproval.

If you really are curious about anal sex, you should try googling it. Better yet go to a gay bar and ask someone to show you the ropes.

• Love 2

You could have saved us a lot of time and just said that you didn't care for the writers using gay sex as a plot device.

All of the curiosity about poop and enemas was a bit contrived if your real goal was to express disapproval.

If you really are curious about anal sex, you should try googling it. Better yet go to a gay bar and ask someone to show you the ropes.

I'm pretty sure no one is on here to "save time". A quick perusal of the forums seems to indicate talking about what you do and don't like about a show is well within the norm. 

If reading my post takes too long, my sincere apologies. I tend to be a bit chatty.

As for the gay bar and googling anal sex, been there, done that. Just wondered if I should have used a towel. Now I know i need to find an official Bum Hose .

I often can't hear all of Elliot's dialogue but I thought he said he had been jumped by a bunch of kids who beat him up. (He started to admit he jumped, I think, but stammered to change it to him being jumped.)

In the hospital, I thought the therapist said the police said Elliot said he'd been jumped by a bunch of kids. This was the first time Krista interacted with someone other than Elliot. I'm pretty sure she's not Elliot's mom—we've seen Elliot's mom in flashbacks, played by Vaishnavi Sharma.

There might be a future payoff to that scene, but I thought it was illustrating Elliot's voiceover:

A bug is never just a mistake. It represents something bigger—an error of thinking—that makes you who you are.

• Love 2

S01E03

Okay, blew milk out my nostrals when their waiting outside for the dinner party.

And wow! Justin (Randy Harrison) slids the door open, playing a gay charter, and what looks like Brian Kenneys QAF flat, remodeled of course, but looks strikingly like the old set.

Bravo for that little spoof, loved it tremendously.

I'm pretty sure it was Swedish, but I've only completed Unit 1 of Rosetta Stone Swedish, so it could be some other Scandinavian language, they all sound alike.

Does it make sense that Elliot's other personality would be twice his age?

Have we seen a picture of his dad? Maybe he looked like HCS when he died?

I don't care for the writers using graphic sex as a plot device.   It was gratuitous and not what I expected from a USA series.   I think they made it gay sex for pure shock value.  I can't get behind that.

Edited by millennium

I'm just starting to watch this show. I like it, though it's so depressing!

Anyway, I'm slow, because I hadn't caught on the Mr. Robot is really Elliot. I mean, sometimes I kind of believed it was all Elliot's imagination, then I didn't; but now I see it could all well go The Fight CLub way. And as others have pointed, every time Mr. Robot was in public with Elliot, no one seems to acknowldege him. I also wonder how was Mr. Robot able to get inside Elliot's office, but the guy is a hacker, he could have used a false ID or something. 

Hacker girl is definetely real, because Elliot's girlfriend saw her. And hacker gilr is the reason I believe Elliot is Mr Robot, just as in the Fight Club, because hacker girls talks to Elliot as if she has known him for some time. Plus, she never said how she knows where he lives, she allways talk to Elliot like he knows what she's talking about (like they had previously discussed whatever it is she's talking about). Also, at the Hacker's Lair, they were well apparently waiting for Elliot to give instructions. I mean, it's stupid that after all this secret society setting, Mr Robot's WHOLE plan depended entirely on Elliot. 

• Love 1
On 7/9/2015 at 1:15 AM, DEM said:

Nope.  I watched his eyes like a hawk: He only looked at Elliot.

I'd say Slater showing up at Elliot's office like that (given that fsociety is supposed to be so secret) was the biggest clue so far that he's not real.

ITA. No one in Elliot's office -- a security firm -- seemed to bat an eye at a total stranger showing up, looking like a bum, talking loudly in the office. The bartender never talked to him either. Therefore, Christian Slater = not real.

Was Angela being totally spineless not breaking up with cheating BF, or was she just pretending for now because he now holds her & her father's future in his hands?

So cold between Tyrell and his wife...there is no warmth or love there at all.

On 7/9/2015 at 10:22 AM, ToastnBacon said:

In NYC $12 isn't too much for a mixed drink with mid-shelf vodka, not by a long shot. Even in a dive bar with license plates all over the walls, especially in Manhattan.

Just got an email from T&L magazine touting a new rooftop bar at the Knickerbocker hotel in Times Square.

So I Googled and they have $24 cocktails!

Chips and dip only $18!

Evil Corp is gone but world still got shittier.