Type keyword(s) to search

F Is For Family - General Discussion

• Start Topic

From last October, the initial reporting on the show:

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-orders-bill-burr-animated-series-f-family-210826

By Katie Rife@futureschlock  Oct 22, 2014 12:52 PM

Having recently made its first foray into adult animation with a series about a cartoon horse stuck in the ‘90s, the streaming service has ordered a new animated series about a cartoon family stuck in the ‘70s. Called F Is For Family, the show will be a “family comedy” based on the standup of Bill Burr, which totally works if you come from the kind of family prone to complaining about political correctness run amok (as many of us do).

F Is For Family will—as previously mentioned—take place in the ‘70s, “a time when you could smack your kid, smoke inside and bring a gun to the airport.” Burr will voice the Murphy family patriarch, with Laura Dern as his presumably long-suffering wife and Justin Long as his oldest son. Burr and Simpsons writer Michael Price will executive produce alongside Vince Vaughn, who calls Burr “the funniest, most original voice out there.” Plot details are not yet available, but shouting, Irish jokes, and at least one self-referential Breaking Bad gag are probable.

I watched the first episode and I wont be watching any more. I guess if you like Bill Burr then listening to him shout might be for you but I just have no interest in this. I didn't laugh and I was quite bored.

• Love 1

I am not sure about this. I was bored so I watched the pilot. It can see what the show is trying to do but I don't find any of the character interesting enough to continue much further. It's slow season so I will give the show another episode to impress me before I call it quits.

<---Update:

I have now watched most of the show and it does not get any better. It was only five episodes I thought I would see it through but honestly the show held nothing for me. I can see someone growing up in that era like the teenage boy who would be an adult now kinda liking it because....ha! Other then that it was too....something and not...something enough.

Pass.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I enjoyed parts of it. I don't know if the short season helped or hurt the series. I hope it gets a second season because I get the premise but I think it needs another season to really get its legs. I didn't grow up in the 70s. I wasn't even a thought in either of my parents minds but overall I liked it.

I used to listen to comedy radio 1060 in Calgary on long drives. Bill burr almost made me hit the ditch one time I laughed so hard. He was talking about how far people hang around the Cheesecake Factory staring through the glass, thinking of new ways to get fat. "Hey there's cookies in this one!"

I liked the first episode of F is for Family. I belly laughed when the older brother punched his younger brother after saving his ass from the bullies. I briefly reflected on my versions of similar events growing up. I like that this show is uncensored, relatable, and crass. I will continue watching to see if it stays this good!

• Love 2

I love this show.  I love how they are fleshing out Laura Dern’s character and the true love that is subtly shown between her and Bill Burr.  (Can’t remember the characters’ names because I am caught in fibro fog.). I think the show is compelling.

• Love 1

Is anyone else totally freaked out by the scoliosis boy who is wearing diapers?  It's like something from Gummo, the movie.  IS it something from Gummo, the movie?

• Love 1

I didn’t like this season as much as previous ones. Too much time spent on the boss at the airport who was fat then skinny with all that skin. I can’t remember his name right now. Anyways I hate his character.

• Love 2
On 6/28/2020 at 4:44 PM, Marley said:

I didn’t like this season as much as previous ones. Too much time spent on the boss at the airport who was fat then skinny with all that skin. I can’t remember his name right now. Anyways I hate his character.

Bob Pogo something long and Russian 

Very disappointed that Netflix is only renewing this great show for just one more season.  I think it's hilarious and I have greatly enjoyed watching and rewatching it.  I'm not expecting 20-plus seasons like The Simpsons or South Park but there's no reason it can't go at least 10 seasons.  F is for Family is a ridiculously entertaining program.

• Love 3
On 10/7/2020 at 9:41 AM, benteen said:

Very disappointed that Netflix is only renewing this great show for just one more season.  I think it's hilarious and I have greatly enjoyed watching and rewatching it.  I'm not expecting 20-plus seasons like The Simpsons or South Park but there's no reason it can't go at least 10 seasons.  F is for Family is a ridiculously entertaining program.

Yeah, same. FIFF has become one of my favorite shows. Five seasons is not nearly enough when Bob's Burgers (which I also love) is renewed through Season 13, just started S11.

• Love 2

Here's an interview with Michael Price, co-creator of F is for Family.  He discusses writing for The Simpsons, the origins of F is for Family, the previous season and what he wants to do for Season 5 (this was prior to the recent news that they would get a 5th and disgustingly final season).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2020/10/12/interview-michael-price-the-simpsons-writer-and-co-creator-of-f-is-for-family-talks-the-art-of-writing-adult-animation/#1f8dbcee3352

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, benteen said:

Great final season of the show but screw Netflix for canceling this show and screw then again for only giving them 8 episodes this season  

season 4 was a bit so-so. Netflix decided to do one of those final season goodbyes with season 5.

Unfotunately season 5 is really good so now where does that leave them? Now with a really good season we will have fans going nuts for another season. Paiting themselves in a bad corner.

I need more seasons of this show. So many things they could have done. If nothing else, I'd love a couple of time jump episode specials. One could be in 1976 and we could see the Murphy family celebrate the bicentennial. Another could be a ten year time jump from the first episode so we see the Murphy kids navigating early adulthood. Last would be a twentyish years later. See Kevin now that he's Frank's age. See a mellowed out (or not) version of Frank and see how much he is (or isn't) like his father now that he's older.

I'd love it if Maureen ended up becoming a pilot. It would blow Frank's mind that his princess ended up fulfilling his dream.

• Love 3

Just finished the final season. Sorry to see it go. Despite the crass & often gross humour, it actually had heart & sweetness. I'll miss the characters. I can't actually believe it's been on for five seasons already (I know some of them were short), but I'm shocked at how time flies - I wasn't keeping track and thought it had only aired for two - three at most. I grew up in the 70's myself, so I loved all of the period details - they really nailed all of that stuff.

Did anyone notice (sadly) how many dedications there were at the end of episodes? It looks like the actor who voiced Smokey the vending van driver passed away, along with a couple of show producers. Sad.

• Love 3