Type keyword(s) to search

Jazz and the Jennings Family in the Media

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

OMG, this article about one of the doctors they consulted with last season. He was my favorite of the ones they consulted and I thought thats who they should have gone with, guess my instincts were very wrong!

https://www.out.com/news/2019/3/11/surgeon-fired-after-posting-trans-patients-body-parts-instagram

In one photo, posted on Valentine’s Day, Salgado rearranged a patient’s dissected, severed penis into a heart shape, tagging it “#whatthefuckisthat,” and he captioned a photo of a dildo removed from a person’s rectum with “could have been avoided if the transman had a real phalloplasty” and the hashtag “#realdicksmatter.” Salgado — who appeared on an episode of TLC’s I Am Jazz, providing a gender reassignment surgery consultation to series star Jazz Jennings — also used racist and ableist language in his captions, tagging a penile enhancement pic “#asiancock” and calling a trans patient in need of a phalloplasty implant an “implant cripple.”

Salgado’s secret Instagram account was discovered by an unnamed source and posted to a phalloplasty support group on Facebook on Feb. 17, The Trans Advocate reports. Before long, a number of emails and a 500-signature strong petition had been sent to Salgado, his bosses, and WPATH (the World Professional Association for Transgender Health) calling for accountability. The University of Miami Health System responded swiftly, ending Salgado’s employment within two days.

Edited by maggiegil
17 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

Does social media count as media? If so, apparently Noelle’s surgery isn’t covered by her insurance so she is trying to fund it via social media. She talks about it on her Instagram.

Also, for those with questions about Jazz’s educational plans, one of the twins 

Reveal spoiler

posted on his Instagram last month that she was accepted to the University of Florida, where all the other siblings went.

I see Jeanette donated $150. You would think with all the money the Jennings family makes from the show & knowing what Noelle is going through, her donation would have been more.  I'm hoping they do/did give her more privately.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Had never seen Noelle's instagram before someone linked it above which led me to her tumblr. I didn't know she was a Muslim.

Am I right in thinking thats never been mentioned on the show before? I googled it after seeing her mention it on tumblr and apparently she converted to Islam from Judaism during her transition, I find that fascinating, I think the show is missing a trick by not exploring that further. I would love to know does she go to a particularly progressive mosque and whats their stance on LGBT, womens issues etc. has she had resistance from other Muslims.

I assume Noelle gets paid to be on the show, I wonder how much and if its a flat fee or per episode?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, maggiegil said:

I assume Noelle gets paid to be on the show, I wonder how much and if its a flat fee or per episode?

She said on her GFM that she gets paid nothing to be on the show, which really sucks. So the Jennings are raking it in but the friends of Jazz make diddly squat? That seems unfair and it I were them I'd have refused to be on the show without any payment. Without non Jennings family members, it would be a pretty lame show, well, lamer than it's turned into.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, gingerella said:

She said on her GFM that she gets paid nothing to be on the show, which really sucks. So the Jennings are raking it in but the friends of Jazz make diddly squat? That seems unfair and it I were them I'd have refused to be on the show without any payment. Without non Jennings family members, it would be a pretty lame show, well, lamer than it's turned into.

That does suck. I thought everyone who appeared on TV got some sort of pay check. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Thats awful! I didn't think that everyone that appears would be getting paid but Noelle seems like a fairly integral part of the show. I'd refuse to be on too if I wasn't getting paid given her level of involvement.

I hope that TLC will make a very generous donation to her appeal and that Jeanette/Jazz gives more than $150.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I hope that TLC will make a very generous donation to her appeal and that Jeanette/Jazz gives more than $150.

That’s actually a great idea! We should all start  bombarding TLCs IG account with comments that they pay the remaining amount because honestly? The whole $25k is nothing for payment to Noelle for all that she’s contributed to that show. She legitimized so many issues with her sane, rational comments, this is the least TLC could do in exchange!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, MissTeacher13 said:

That does suck. I thought everyone who appeared on TV got some sort of pay check. 

TLC (or the production companies are so cheap). Very few people get paid on these shows and usually there is just one paycheck made to the family, under some sort of LLC account. I do not know about Jazz, but the Duggar's Gosselins, and Sisrer Wives all just got one check for the season into a account. Now we all hope the families use the money for college and their kids too, but the kids have no right to the money. It is a big issue, along with unregulated working conditions, that Jon Gosselin tried to fight for along with some other kids TV actors that saw no money from their time on TV. Now in Jazz's case, I can totally see her wanting all the money and I can see her parents putting it away for her medical and educational needs. 

There was a polygamist show on TLC filmed in my area. They wanted kids to play "friends" on the show. They came to my kids high school, and found kids to act like friends for the series, not just one episode , the kids traveled to 3 states and over 1,000 miles filming. They got paid nothing and these kids were acting, not actual friends.  Enough people want to be on TV, TLC can find free very easily.

I would have hoped Jazz and her family would have helped more then $150, lets all hope it is in secret. I very much doubt TLC will give a nickel. Not only are the cheap, but discovery communications through the Duggar scandal proved to have some very conservative ties. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Wow, color me shocked! Every Jennings family member is pimping on their respective IG accounts asking followers if they want a Season 6 of the show, and if so, to post on IG and basically bombard TLC. It smells like another season isn't a sure thing and they're trying to pimp hard...or perhaps they've been told to do it as part of their S06 contract? Anyway, I was really surprised to see the boys, Ari and Greg all pimpin' a S06 because they all seem so over the whole thing. Unless of course they've been comandeered into doing it from Jazz and Jeanette...

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Wow, color me shocked! Every Jennings family member is pimping on their respective IG accounts asking followers if they want a Season 6 of the show, and if so, to post on IG and basically bombard TLC. It smells like another season isn't a sure thing and they're trying to pimp hard...or perhaps they've been told to do it as part of their S06 contract? Anyway, I was really surprised to see the boys, Ari and Greg all pimpin' a S06 because they all seem so over the whole thing. Unless of course they've been comandeered into doing it from Jazz and Jeanette...

I am appalled, but not surprised.   I didn't think another season was in the works, but I was hoping for maybe an update episode (not season) next summer.    I guess since there is one more surgery, they expect they can get another season to cover the cosmetic aspect of it. 

I never thought the twins were over it, but I sure thought Ari was.  I think the twins liked all the air time they got this time.   Maybe Ari is enjoying it more.     I know Jazz and Jeanette probably want it, but I would think Greg would not. 

I am off to erase this from the dvr.  

See you next season, if there is a next season.    Or maybe not.....

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

They are better off doing a “checking in” episode in about 5-10 years, rather than squeeze out another season or 2. It will be interesting to see where Jazz is in 10 years. 

• Love 1

To be honest, I would be shocked it they didn’t do another 1-2 years, because I think Jazz and Jeanette are sort of addicted to the fame of a D List reality celeb. What I would like to see is a season from maybe grandparents and siblings perspective and not from Jazz’s, that might be interesting. I loved Grandma Jackie’s comments tonight about Jazz, and I wonder what Jazz thinks about them...

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

I'm glad Pomona is someplace she's long had an eye on; I think it would be a great fit for her.  (I have no affiliation with it, for the record.) 

I think Jeannette would have a hard time with any of her kids going to college in CA instead of FL, but especially for Jazz to move across the country?  She might implode.  But it would be good for her, too.

I have no doubt that Jazz is a smart kid and and has the potential to be a good college student. However, from things her mom has said and just watching her for the past five seasons,  I'm not sure how hard-working and diligent she would be with the rigor of college coursework without Jennette's prodding.  Jeanette is one of those snow plow or bulldozer parents that we're all learning about with the college entrance scandal. 

• Love 4
On 3/16/2019 at 12:21 PM, Barb23 said:

I see Jeanette donated $150. You would think with all the money the Jennings family makes from the show & knowing what Noelle is going through, her donation would have been more.  I'm hoping they do/did give her more privately.  

GFM takes 3% of all donations plus a transaction fee. A lot of times, people donate something on GFM just to make it look active. People are more likely to donate to an active fund, so it builds on itself. You then donate the rest in cash or some other way that doesn't skim off the top. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/23/2019 at 12:41 AM, maggiegil said:

I wonder did Jazz have particularly amazing SAT/ACT scores that we haven't been privy to or is she getting these interviews based on her fame? Good for her either way 

On the subject of SAT’s I have a great-nephew in South Florida what just told me that Jazz sat two seats behind him when he took his SATs.  He wasn’t feeling great that day so he sort of forgot about it until I mentioned something to his mom about a restaurant Jazz’ family went to and that jogged his memory.  He said as he left the test room he held the door open for whomever was behind him on the way out and it turned out to be Jazz.  She thanked him and he said he thought that was nice because not everyone bothers to do that.  Teenage boys!!

• Love 5
On 3/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, Bastet said:

I'm glad Pomona is someplace she's long had an eye on; I think it would be a great fit for her.  (I have no affiliation with it, for the record.) 

Yeah Pomona seems a much better fit for her than Harvard.

And did you notice this line in the article?

“Fans will be able to see the play-by-play of Jazz’s decision-making process on I am Jazz, which was recently picked up for a sixth season.”

• Love 3
On 4/8/2019 at 3:51 AM, MissTeacher13 said:

This is excellent news. I think Jazz is one of those people who is too book smart and has limited social understanding, cue VAGINA in public.

Yes, which is why Pomona is probably a better choice for her. It's progressive and intellectually challenging, but I think Harvard will be more traditional and not the best choice for her.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MrFluffy said:

I doubt seriously this kid actually was admitted to Harvard

She posted the actual admittance letter, she was admitted and not surprising even if she hadn’t been valedictorian which she was for her Despite the show illustrating her depression etc. she still managed to do a lot of activism etc that college admission people find impressive when they are looking for a well rounded student body. 

• Love 8

I hope she goes to Harvard, it's not the stodgy place it used to be.  It was quite progressive even back in the late 80's when I was there.   She is going to love Boston!  I miss Boston.  😞

How cool if she becomes a Dr., like Dr. Bowers.

• Love 2

I can only speculate that the school wanted someone who had demonstrated motivation and drive that they could contribute to their college community.  And, Jazz is very passionate about her advocacy work.  From what I've read, you have to be the top in grades though.  Wherever you studied, you would need to be NO. 1 in the class.  I've read that you need SAT score of 1540 to be competitive.  Plus, I bet she wrote a killer essay. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Jeanette must be shopping for an apartment as we speak. 

Yeah, I wonder how that's going to work out.  Because, apparently, Harvard has a lot more faith in Jazz than Jeannette.  lol  Somehow, Jazz will have to figure out how to get to class, clean room, keep up schedule, all on her own. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 4/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, Figster said:

She was definitely admitted; but I think it's obvious her admittance was largely due to her fame. We could point to quite a few famous people getting into top tier schools (actors, for example).

I was thinking the same thing.  I watch the television show from time to time and I view her YouTube page more often.  From seeing her on YouTube she does not come across as being brilliant or well spoken.  Could be due to nerves but yeah she never struck me as being highly intelligent and so I am thinking her fame helped her to get a leg up.

• Love 3

She’s basically a figurehead for transgender youth and I suspect that’s the sole reason she was admitted. I highly doubt that her Harvard acceptance had anything to do with her intelligence or test scores. She was the valedictorian of an ONLINE school, let’s not forget. Harvard or not, I think college is going to be a  wake-up call for her.

• Love 1

I'm not at all surprised that Jazz got into Harvard. It's a school that has always prioritized extracurricular involvement over academics. Yes, you have to have strong academics, but more importantly you need a bunch of additional shit on your "resume" like student council, debate team, sports team, volunteer work, activism, honor society, etc. I'm guessing that Jazz's activism put her application over the top.

• Useful 1

Nothing wrong with prioritizing leadership qualities, as that's at least as important for success as any intellectual abilities. And we really don't know what her academic record is like, but clearly she did well enough with her grades because they aren't admitting people who don't test well, either.

• Love 6

I’d be more willing to give Jazz the benefit of the doubt were it not for the fact that Harvard does not and has never admitted people based only on their merits such as extra-curriculars and test scores and anyone who thinks differently is naive. The admissions scandal and Asian lawsuit should be the most apparent example, plus there’s been countless children of celebrities and popular politicians admitted who were far from ‘Harvard material’, thanks to their parent’s kind donations.

Not saying that very intelligent, hard-working kids don’t get admitted (Harvard does have a reputation to uphold, after all) all the time, but just based on Jazz’s numerous immaturities from the show, I have my doubts. David Hogg is another kid that got admitted to Harvard due to his “activism/leadership” with a 1270 SAT. So I suppose they’ve gotten a lot less picky about who they admit.

• Love 1
On 8/4/2019 at 1:53 PM, Scarlett45 said:

From Noelle’s Instagram. 

Glad everything is coming along for Noelle. It's nice to see her in jeans. I think she looks  cute wearing braids in the hospital picture & needs to keep with that style.  

On another note, I see Jeanette is still sporting the same outdated glasses.

• Love 2
On 9/10/2019 at 9:19 PM, BoomerRumor said:

Harvard's first day of classes was Sept. 9. Where are all the media stories about Jazz moving to Cambridge, etc? I must just be googling wrong.

Nah, I bet nobody at Harvard gives even a quarter of a fuck about Jazz Jennings and her TV show. Jazz has been used to yucking it up for TLC with 'friends' who seem to be barely acquaintances, I'm guessing very few if any Harvard students want to do freebies on her show. I wouldn't if I was a student on her campus. I'm also guessing that she's in for an eye opener now that she's in an environment where she may get push back and/or questions that she doesn't 'like'. We all know how she behaves when she deems a question 'stupid' or 'out of line' even when they're not.

• Love 4