Type keyword(s) to search

Jazz and the Jennings Family in the Media

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Another update from Jazz -more details on the upcoming surgery date.    https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/111087155.html?page=2#comments

I really hope she’s in a better place mentally than when we last saw her. Some of the quotes at that link make me nervous. I’m definitely not opposed to GCS as a general rule, but I worry (as a stranger on the internet) that Jazz isn’t the best candidate, at least for now. 

Based on what Greg said last season, I wonder if this means Jazz is delaying college. She seems like someone who could really excel in higher learning and maybe figure out who she wants to be, beyond the Trans-Kid Ambassador. There’s more to her than gender, just like anybody else. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is in the media, so, I'm posting due to that. 

Photo of Jazz after her surgery.  She looks great.  Well wishes, Jazz.

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2018/06/jazz-jennings-gender-transformation-surgery-doing-great-after-derick-dillard-bullying/

I think Derick Dillard is weirdly obsessed with Jazz, regardless of his religious affiliation.

I just hope the surgery finally makes her feel at peace with herself.

Edited by Koalagirl
  • Love 3

It was my understanding that Dillard referred to Jazz's surgery as child abuse.  I won't speculate as to what he meant by that, but, since Jazz is underage for consent on the surgery, as an adult and parent, I do not think that I would have consented to that surgery as Jazz's parents.  Based on what was shown on the show, I would have allowed her to make that decision after she reached age 18.  And, I have absolutely no other agenda or issue with re-assignment surgery in general. 

Dillard should let it go though.  He's not helping at all.  I wonder why he feels this irresistible urge to tweet about Jazz, especially, since she's on a network where his wife and family appear.  Odd, imo.  He needs to read more and educate himself on the matter.  I think that might help him. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Maybe someone needs to tell Jazz, that ladies do not speak about their vaginas in public, like she is doing? It really should be a private thing.

Maybe she doesn’t want to be a lady? I know I don’t. 

Dillard tweeted that stuff so long ago that it’s weird that Radar included it in a current article. Clickbait probably, though Derrick Dillard being clickbait has me laughing a little. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Maybe someone needs to tell Jazz, that ladies do not speak about their vaginas in public, like she is doing? It really should be a private thing.

Why should it be a private thing? She can and should talk about whatever she wants to talk about her own body. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It was my understanding that Dillard referred to Jazz's surgery as child abuse.  I won't speculate as to what he meant by that, but, since Jazz is underage for consent on the surgery, as an adult and parent, I do not think that I would have consented to that surgery as Jazz's parents.  Based on what was shown on the show, I would have allowed her to make that decision after she reached age 18.  And, I have absolutely no other agenda or issue with re-assignment surgery in general. 

I completely agree. It seemed very clear that Jazz gets whatever Jazz wants, whether or not it was a good idea, from her mother and that she and her mother steamrolled her father. Case in point, they went to 3 different doctors who all told Jazz the same thing about her surgery and each time Jazz demanded to see another surgeon because she wasn't having more than one surgery. Even when she found her wonder surgeon, she denied that there might be a problem after she put on 30 lbs and was hiding food in her room. Jazz was also pretty emotionally arrested at about age 13 it seemed. Her mother and Jazz both glossed over the idea of how she would get her psychiatric letters. To me, the decision for surgery seemed motivated by the show and by being the youngest to get surgery rather than because she was ready for the surgery and the aftercare. For Jazz's sake, I hope she was truly ready for the surgery and aftercare and that this was Jazz's independent determination that she was ready. But I, too, would have made her wait until she was 18.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Pachengala said:

Maybe she doesn’t want to be a lady? I know I don’t. 

Dillard tweeted that stuff so long ago that it’s weird that Radar included it in a current article. Clickbait probably, though Derrick Dillard being clickbait has me laughing a little. 

He tweeted again last week, after Jazz's surgery. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

rstanding that Dillard referred to Jazz's surgery as child abuse.  I won't speculate as to what he meant by that, but, since Jazz is underage for consent on the surgery, as an adult and parent, I d

Dillard said a lot of shit about Jazz and did it all while misgendering her which is why TLC stated he won’t be seen on the show again. It was a lot of transphobic bullshit and it was done several times. His latest was not long ago which is why TLC reiterated he won’t be appearing.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

That dude is a loser and a creep. He is way too interested in putting down a teenager that he doesn't even know. It sounds like he might be dealing with some stuff that he doesn't want to face...just a thought. Why else would he care so much?

• Love 10
On 7/1/2018 at 1:51 PM, biakbiak said:

Why should it be a private thing? She can and should talk about whatever she wants to talk about her own body. 

I know I wouldn't want every covo to be about some vag. There's a time and a place for everything 

• Love 10

I just want to congratulate Jazz.

Yes, there are issues about her mental health and about her being underage. They are legitimate issues. But the surgery is done now, and she seems happy about it. Perhaps it will help to bring her the closure she needs.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

I just want to congratulate Jazz.

Yes, there are issues about her mental health and about her being underage. They are legitimate issues. But the surgery is done now, and she seems happy about it. Perhaps it will help to bring her the closure she needs.

I hope so.  We'll see how Jazz is as she moves forward with her life. I do wish her well.  I'm interested to see whether her decision has brought her the happiness she expected.  And if she will mature more now. 

I will say that I actually learned more about transitioning watching the reality show Lost In Transition than I did all the seasons that I watched this one.  Odd, I know.  I'm not sure if that was because this show is geared more towards young people or not.  But, it was quite enlightening.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7

I think you are remembering correctly, but, I never got the idea that sex was pretty much not going to be a part of a transgender woman's life, like it was portrayed on this other show. I really hope that the medical experts explained that, so the consent was truly informed. 

On 10/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Spoiler in this article for next season.  Interesting update on Jazz and her post surgery.

A quote from your article.

"When I was 2 years old, I went up to my Mom and asked her "When is the good fairy going to come with her magic wand, and change my penis into a vagina?" Said Jazz.

I don't believe for even 1 second that she actually said this to her Mother.  Do you know ANY 2 year olds who even think about penises and vaginas?

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Honey said:

A quote from your article.

Hide contents

"When I was 2 years old, I went up to my Mom and asked her "When is the good fairy going to come with her magic wand, and change my penis into a vagina?" Said Jazz.

I don't believe for even 1 second that she actually said this to her Mother.  Do you know ANY 2 year olds who even think about penises and vaginas?

Yeah, that would be an extremely advanced thing for a 2-year-old to say. And there is nothing particularly intellectually remarkable about Jazz (not that she's dumb, she's just not a super genius). Two-year-olds don't really use complete sentences with multiple clauses and medically-correct terminology like that.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yeah, that would be an extremely advanced thing for a 2-year-old to say. And there is nothing particularly intellectually remarkable about Jazz (not that she's dumb, she's just not a super genius). Two-year-olds don't really use complete sentences with multiple clauses and medically-correct terminology like that.

When a teen/adult relays something they said as a child, they say it as they speak now, not in the toddler babble they delivered it in at the time (unless the whole point of the story is a malaprop their young brain delivered, which is not the case here - the point of the story is the sentiment, not the words used to express it). 

And kids who have siblings of a different biological sex and thus see naked bodies that look different from their own tend to ask about those differences, and thus hear about penises and vaginas.  Which generally, and this was especially true back then, gets expressed as "boys have penises and girls have vaginas." 

So, feeling like a girl but having a penis, it would flow naturally for young Jazz to say, in whatever simple words were used at the time, that she wanted her penis to turn into a vagina.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

When a teen/adult relays something they said as a child, they say it as they speak now, not in the toddler babble they delivered it in at the time (unless the whole point of the story is a malaprop their young brain delivered, which is not the case here - the point of the story is the sentiment, not the words used to express it). 

And kids who have siblings of a different biological sex and thus see naked bodies that look different from their own tend to ask about those differences, and thus hear about penises and vaginas.  Which generally, and this was especially true back then, gets expressed as "boys have penises and girls have vaginas." 

So, feeling like a girl but having a penis, it would flow naturally for young Jazz to say, in whatever simple words were used at the time, that she wanted her penis to turn into a vagina.

I get what you're saying, but at age 2???  Perhaps, around age 4, and even that seems young.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Kids are aware of their differences and genitals younger than 2. 

Yeah, but to phrase it in a sentence that you want different genitalia, 2 still seems too young to me.  In my opinion.  We disagree, that's okay.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Honey said:

Yeah, but to phrase it in a sentence that you want different genitalia, 2 still seems too young to me.  In my opinion.  We disagree, that's okay.

I agree with you.  To me it sounds like something Jeanette told her she said.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, princelina said:

Yeah, agreed. I'm not saying Jazz wasn't trans at age two, I just don't think she was this precocious little genius they're always making her out to be.

• Love 5
On 12/16/2018 at 2:37 PM, Bastet said:

On 12/18/2018 at 1:18 AM, princelina said:

My guess is Jazz had been told this by Jeanette so many times, it became her own memory and gospel, regardless of how/if it happened or not. Don't get me wrong, I do think she is trans and has always wanted to be a girl, but I've long thought Jeanette played a MUCH bigger role in this than they've let on or would even be considered healthy. Like at 2 did Jazz say she wants to be a girl one morning and Jeanette instantly made it her life's mission to make it happen and therefore, Jazz's too? Because quite honestly, I can actually see it as having happened that way. If you're told something pretty much your entire life, grow up hearing it, it becomes your truth. There's a big difference between an adult, teen, or even an elementary school aged kid saying they want to be the opposite sex than a toddler. Hell, I'd even be more comfortable with this history if it was more from Greg than from Jeanette. I just don't entirely trust her role in this. 

• Love 4

I came from a family of nine and we had a very small home and no indoor plumbling , but NONE of us ever saw parents or siblings naked and I had no idea boys had penises until maybe fifth grade, nor did I care. My eldest daughter had a vocab. of over 1,000 words in two languages at age one (I wrote them all down in her baby book). Never mentioned private parts at all. She was more interested in her salt water aquarium or reading . For those words to be so correctly used someone in her home had to point the differences out and use the words often and commenly for them to be so important to the child.

There was an incident at age eight where a man exposed himself to a bunch of girls at my childs school playground. I asked her what she thought of that and she said "Pretty silly when its -5 degrees out" and she sat down and began her homework and that was that. (she graduated from Med school summa cum laude at age 23)

• Love 2

I think different families handle these things in different ways. When my brother was born, I was present while my mother changed his diapers, and I saw everything. I was 4 years old, but I'm sure it would have been the same if I'd been younger. And we were always given the facts, the terminology, and so on, and encouraged to ask questions. I got the "where do babies come from?" speech when my mother was pregnant, so I knew that boys and girls had different parts, and what they were called, even before my brother was born.

I also knew kids who had picture books showing how it all worked.

I'm sure a lot of families are way more circumspect, but it's not surprising to me at all that Jazz might have frank knowledge of these things. Especially for trans kids, who have dysphoria, she may have been asking questions and trying to communicate her concerns at a very early age.

• Love 8

Well my brother and I were what are called "Irish twins" - 14 months apart - and we were bathed together up until kindergartenish age, and my super-conservative mother hated vulgar terms, so our private parts were known as "tinklers"  (:D) and we thought nothing of it.  I just don't/can't believe that toddlers are upset about having the wrong "tinkler" without adult input (which may or may not include refusing to allow them to put on outfits they find appealing/playing with toys that interest them).  Dysphoria means that they are not seeing what is really there, and with any other type of dysphoria the mental/psychological issue is dealt with.  I know it's not a popular opinion but I find it disturbing that in this ONE CASE dysphoria is treated differently, with lifelong medical changes and procedures that can't be easily rectified.  If Jazz is truly happy then I am happy for her.

• Love 6

Just saying, personally speaking, my memories go back to when I was two of the fact I was female. Don't find that especially surprising. Basically it was just sharing facts among kids in the daycare when the teacher was away. 

One kid said he didn't have a belly button. Which, let's be real, why didn't we have an FBI agent in the daycare the next day? But for me, I just said, "Well, I'm a girl." I recall it like having a red delicious apple for lunch that day. But...I do tend to remember literally everything!

Jazz and Jeanette have been consistent in telling me this as Jazz's story two on two about the fairy and genitalia. As such, I have no reason not to believe them, intra and interpersonally. Fits the timeline. The only thing, I feel might be different is the exact phrasing, but that's semantical contrasted with the underlying, independent sense of one's self, personally.

• Love 4
On 7/26/2015 at 2:43 PM, Taylorh2 said:

What the heck is going on with the grandmother's eyes ?  I have to admit that I didn't know what "bronzer" was until I saw it on the mother's face.

Is it suppose to look like that ? Seems kinda heavy/dark.

I don't think grandma's "eyes" are entirely a makeup problem. 1) she is wearing a terrible wig that brings even more attention to her face 2) it looks like she may have had plastic surgery to her face in addition to ALSO having had some type of 'eye work' done... maybe there was a medical error or a pre-existing condition that prevented this job looking 'normal'. I realize that we are talking about a family that is anything but "normal" to everyone else's idea but the whole bouffant wig is overdone and just a terrible way to maybe hide thinning hair or hair that has turned grey but SHE is self conscious of, who knows. The overdone eyeliner does her no favours when your eyes are already slightly 'crossed' - - - or some other medical condition. It isn't helping when the film crew always stands off to one side of grandma and actually brings more attention to her face. I'm sure there was someone in the makeup department that could have alleviated bringing all this attention to her. Like a little sparrow head on a seagulls body...sorry grandma, I am sure you have had many problems before now.....

• Love 2
On 2/14/2019 at 8:44 AM, SongbirdHollow said:

Jazz tweeted that Noelle is going in for her gender confirmation surgery in early summer with Dr Bowers! Good for her!

Oh that’s great news! I am so happy for her. I wonder if she will have an easier time of it given she has more to work with and that she likely will heed doctors advice. 

• Love 2