Type keyword(s) to search

Fact or Fiction? Other Prison Stories

• Start Topic

Frequently in episode threads or all-season discussion, the question has arisen as to whether certain aspects of the show are credible, or if it's just TV creative license. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread with titles of books or articles we've found useful in putting the show in context, fact-checking it, or comparing it to reality.

I just saw this article today, which is what gave me the idea:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/01/prison-secrecy_n_7706404.html?cps=gravity_1787_5889445870752692350

It talks about how many prisons have an actual policy of not allowing the press (or others) to look around, or interview inmates or staff, which could be why sometimes it's hard to get accurate information about whether the show is accurate, either.

I also remembered a book I read a long time ago, written by a woman who spent time in prison. She talked about how she got there, what happened during her incarceration, and how she got out. From what I remember, she had a complex point of view that included both the personal responsibility of lawbreakers and the broader social issues that also influence the situations they're in. She said it was both/and rather than either/or when looking at how and why she wound up in trouble and got out of it, i.e. she made very bad decisions AND she was also somewhat trapped. Basically, she said that in order to understand the reality, you had to look at how the system was dysfunctional and rigged, and at the same time, without making excuses, hold her accountable for her bad behaviors. This reminds me of what I think OITNB tries to do with the backstories of various characters. The book is called "Sing Soft, Sing Loud" by Patricia McConnell.

Read this article, and it seemed so horribly unfair. So I hit Google. They fail to mention that although she didn't traffic drugs, her boyfriend did. My grandmother always said " lay down with dogs, get up with fleas". Just saying......