Type keyword(s) to search

Still Not Over It : Movie Deaths

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I watched it as an adult for the first time a couple of years ago and that movie holds up incredibly well.

What’s really cold and for him, practical, is how Magua is urging her to come to him with his fingers, but she chooses to jump. Then he just shrugs his shoulders, turns and continues to head to wherever he was going.

And I cheered and fist-pumped when Russell Means’ Chingachgook killed the motherfucker.

I can’t watch Uncas’ death. I either fast forward it, or close my eyes after hearing Nathaniel’s “UNCAS!!!!!” because I’m a weenie.

And I know I just contradicted myself because I can watch Magua get his just desserts!😂😂😂😂🤣🤣

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
spelling is important!
  • Love 5
(edited)

Rewatching this now, but I still hold my breath and tear up at Sean Connery’s James Malone in The Untouchables.😢😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 Especially near the end when he grabs Elliot by the shirt and gasps “What are you prepared to do?”

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Rewatching this now, but I still hold my breath and tear up at Sean Connery’s James Malone in The Untouchables.😢😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 Especially near the end when he grabs Elliot by the shirt and gasps “What are you prepared to do?”

Also earlier Charlie Martin Smith's Oscar Wallace. As a someone said in the comment section of the bridge scene on YouTube: "An accountant with the heart of a lion."

• Love 7

On hearing the sad news of the death of Sir Ian Holm a few days ago, I had to rewatch one of his most revered films in "Alien"

I wasn't particularly saddened by his "death", but I did feel for poor old Kane (John Hurt), who ended up with that crab-like thing fixed to his face, and later on back in the spaceship's canteen suffering the painful indignity of "giving birth" to the Alien itself; while Ian Holm's character, Ash, was more concerned about the welfare of the latter rather than the former!

** Warning: quite gory!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Everyone in Glory. As soon as the "Assault on Fort Wagner" score starts, I'm bawling.

Same here- and it's chilling to see the Confederates take off the dead Union troops boots before burying the bodies. Yes, I know how desperately short of footwear the Confederates had gotten (a contributing factor in why Gettysburg happened) but to see that depicted was downright disturbing!

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Same here- and it's chilling to see the Confederates take off the dead Union troops boots before burying the bodies. Yes, I know how desperately short of footwear the Confederates had gotten (a contributing factor in why Gettysburg happened) but to see that depicted was downright disturbing!

And to add another insult to injury, they threw the bodies in the sand pits like they were trash. Once Wagner was retaken, the Union army offered to return Col. Shaw's body to his family, but they told them there was no resting place more honorable than beside his fellow soldiers.

• Love 2
(edited)

This is going to sound ridiculous, but the Bluesmobile falling apart in The Blues Brothers. That car got them through so much and for it to just go to pieces after all that was hilariously sad. What made that scene was the shot of all the tragic-faced angel statues and Elwood taking off his hat in a show of tribute...before Jake screams at him to haul ass to the bank.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
On 7/6/2020 at 1:16 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Everyone in Glory. As soon as the "Assault on Fort Wagner" score starts, I'm bawling.

I first saw that movie when I was a kid, and spent ages afterwards trying to tell myself that perhaps some of them survived. You know, maybe Cary Elwes' character, maybe Denzel Washington's. Because we don't technically see them die.

I also did that with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I was definitely in tears after watching that for the first time.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Bing Bong in Inside Out. I understand why he gave up his life to save Riley from depression but it broke me. 

He was forgotten. Forgotten. That killed me. And it's almost the same fate that fell on poor Hector in Coco: he was poisoned by his best friend and left alone in the afterlife and nearly wiped out of existence because Imelda was willing to believe the worst of him without hearing his side of the story. Thankfully that worked out better in the end.

• Love 8

I recently re-watched Dances With Wolves, and each time a scene started and I remembered, "Oh no, this is when [character] gets killed," I tensed up.  Timmons ("Please don't hurt my mules" <sniff>), Stone Calf, Cisco, Two Socks -- my heart just hurts more and more with each loss.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Bing Bong in Inside Out. I understand why he gave up his life to save Riley from depression but it broke me. 

Bing Bong never did anything for me.  Just because you mature and advance doesn't mean you automatically forget about your childlike innocence.  It's still part of you.  It always strikes me as a false dichotomy.  I think Toy Story 3 handled growing up much better.  But I have problems with Inside Out overall. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I rewatched the first 3 Bourne movies on Peacock this week and got annoyed all over again about how they killed off Nicky Parsons in Jason Bourne. I know she was meant to be a supporting player, but they went to the trouble of bulking up her role in the third movie by suggesting a history with Bourne only to use her to kick off the plot of the fourth movie and then unceremoniously dispose of her. I'll always have a soft spot for Julia Stiles because of 10 Things I Hate About You, but I think the character deserved better regardless.

ETA: Since that's more frustration than anything else, I'll add Johnny Smith in The Dead Zone for a devastating death. Christopher Walken gave a heartbreaking performance in that movie and I don't think it gets enough attention when people talk about successful Stephen King adaptations. At least Johnny succeeds in exposing Stillson at the end and was already dying because of his condition, but seeing Brooke Adams weeping over him still makes me cry.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 8

One of my favorite death scenes is Sam Jackson in Deep Blue Sea. Not because it's sad, but because it's freakin' hilarious. The setup is perfect. Jackson's inspirational speech, the swelling score, the looks of hope on the other crew members and then. . .  BAM!

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

I still get sad over Tommy's death in Carrie because I liked him so much -- but at least it wasn't Carrie that killed him, that bucket fell on its own, so really it's Billy and Chris' fault. Bad luck via gravity.

Miss Collins didn't deserve to die either, especially like that. I still can't watch that part to this day. Ironic that she's yet another Stephen King character that survives in the book but dies in the movie. Although she's more of a watered down version of the novel's Miss Desjardin, who wasn't exactly as nice to Carrie as she was in the movie. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 4/16/2018 at 9:29 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Mozart dying and winded up in a pauper's mass grave in Amadeus

We screened this film in class when I was in HS.  We were all shocked seeing the body of one of the greatest composers in history to have been casually dumped like an unwanted sandwich.

• Sad 1
18 hours ago, magicdog said:

We screened this film in class when I was in HS.  We were all shocked seeing the body of one of the greatest composers in history to have been casually dumped like an unwanted sandwich.

And the ironic thing is that the movie downplayed that Mozart was still beloved by the Viennese and   actually given a very elaborate funeral in St. Stephen's Cathedral that was attended by a packed house. Yet, none of the wealthy or powerful attendees who had adored his music bothered to cough up any extra  forints for even the most rudimentary casket    or tombstone. 

I've edited it a little, having done some more research, and it turns out that (contrary to the movie) Mozart WAS buried in his own plot- for about ten years THEN his remains were dug up and thrown into the paupers' mass grave. It seems that since he wasn't an aristocrat (and his family had not the means to purchase a permanent plot, coffin and tombstone), the city of Vienna had the 'right' to dig up his (as it turns out) temporary resting place for use for some other non-aristocratic corpse for their ten year 'stint'.  Not as bad as the scenario of an instant dump into the mass grave but still rather appalling they this was allowed to happen to him-  especially considering the grand funeral they'd thrown for him and the city and empire's adoration of his music! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 7

I've seen many horrible death scenes in movies, so please believe me when I say that the one in Promising Young Woman is one of the most horrific, disturbing ones I've ever seen. Those two minutes seem to last forever.

Did it have to be so long, with Cassie's muffled crying with her murderer sniveling over her and telling her it was her fault and keeping on suffocating her to make sure she was dead? I nearly threw up. Couldn't they have just cut to black? Was the director so dead-set on realism that she had to make us witnessss her whole death? And then we watch them BURN HER BODY. And I'm sorry but the fact that she had a backup plan that would ensure he'd go down for murder gave me no catharsis because it was so pointless. She didn't have to die to get justice for Nina. Maybe she was so committed to her revenge that she was willing to die for it, but obviously that scene showed that when it came down to the clinch she didn't actually want to die, or was at least scared of doing it.

• Useful 1

I think I mentioned that I am still not over the death or Apollo Creed at the hands of Ivan Drago in Rocky IV earlier in this thread. Turns out I'm not alone. Sylvester Stallone still has regrets about killing him off.

• Like 2

The scene from Jojo that inspired this (paraphrased) letterboxd review that continues to stick with me:  "Sorry, Quentin.  Only Taika can take my breath away by filming a woman's feet."   

Still one the most devastating movie moments I've ever seen. 

• Like 6