Type keyword(s) to search

Still Not Over It : Movie Deaths

• Start Topic

i suppose technically my next choice isn't exactly a living creature, and I'm not even sure if it actually died or not. However, my choice is "Wilson" the volleyball from "Cast Away"

Despite being completely inanimate, and just a ball, I am sure a lot of the viewing audience had similar feelings that Wilson was more than just a volleyball, but a "buddy" or a companion to both Tom Hanks and us during those 4 years stranded on an island.

And the moment Tom lost Wilson at sea my heart sank, and like Tom's character I just couldn't stop crying at losing him, probably to a watery grave and "death". Even with an uplifting ending for Tom, I still couldn't get over the loss of Wilson The Volleyball.

"WILLLLSONNNN.....!!!!"

• Love 9
On 9/30/2016 at 11:28 AM, ChromaKelly said:
On 9/27/2016 at 10:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Hiccup's dad in How To Train Your Dragon 2. That death was horrific on so many levels, it almost puts all the Pixar deaths to shame.

What makes it even worse was that it happened just when I was starting to like him.  He was a jerk in the first movie, but but once he got over that it was easy to warm up to him.

Yes. And that Toothless killed him. I know it's the whole he was under a spell thing, and that happens in TV/movies but I always wonder how people get past that.

UGH and ::sigh::

And Stoic dying was so unnecessary, too. They could have had the same ending without him dying. And then I read that the writers were comparing it to Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back, but Han Solo didn't actually die and it wasn't C3P0 who killed him -- you bastards!

• Love 1
On 30/09/2017 at 11:48 AM, Spartan Girl said:

The bunny in Fatal Attraction.

I understand why test audiences were baying for Alex's blood after that.

Talking about bunnies; the rabbits in Watership Down... every rabbit in Watership Down.

I was 6 years old, and alone in the house, watching a cartoon about bunny rabbits in lieu of a babysitter!

• Love 2

The death of Jacob Singer (Tim Robbins), in the brilliant yet highly disturbing "Jacob's Ladder" (1990)

The ending really caught me off guard - never saw that coming at all.

But it was so beautifully handled and "complete", more so given the nightmarish "existence" Jacob was going through - stuck in a hellish limbo - for the bulk of the film.

• Love 1

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I knew Luke was going to die, but I wasn't expecting how. For him to show up, seemingly invincible, withstanding all the blasts, and give the a Resistance a chance to escape, I was thinking it was going to be another Obi-Wan death. And then it turns out it was all an astroprojection! The Astro Luke vanishes after one last fuck-you to Kylo Ren, and then it cuts back to real Luke on hid planet...who then finally succumbs to the strain of his aging body.

It killed me. But unlike Han, Luke didn't die at the hands of Bitch Boy. He went out like a boss with one last goodbye to Leia and that brilliant troll to Bitch Boy. Then he watched that one last sunset a la ANA, then vanished peacefully just like Obi-Wan and Yoda. He said that he came to that planet to die, and those were the terms he ultimately wanted. It was a fitting, beautiful end.

That being said, I hope we get Ghost Luke in the next movie.

• Love 15

I haven't read any posts above mine, so I'm just posting that though I just saw this on HBO, I will never, ever, ever, ever get over the deaths of Charles Xavier and Logan/Wolverine in Logan. Just the way Xavier was moirdered is JUST WRONG on so many, many levels, and though I know Jackman wanted this to be his last stint as Logan/Wolverine, I didn't want him to die. I just didn't. Like I posted in the movie thread, I think I'll just go and watch the first movie, which starred an unknown Aussie, playing one of my favorite X-Men.

• Love 4
On 9/30/2017 at 3:59 PM, Zola said:

i suppose technically my next choice isn't exactly a living creature, and I'm not even sure if it actually died or not. However, my choice is "Wilson" the volleyball from "Cast Away"

Despite being completely inanimate, and just a ball, I am sure a lot of the viewing audience had similar feelings that Wilson was more than just a volleyball, but a "buddy" or a companion to both Tom Hanks and us during those 4 years stranded on an island.

And the moment Tom lost Wilson at sea my heart sank, and like Tom's character I just couldn't stop crying at losing him, probably to a watery grave and "death". Even with an uplifting ending for Tom, I still couldn't get over the loss of Wilson The Volleyball.

"WILLLLSONNNN.....!!!!"

My sisters still make fun of me, for crying and crying when he loses "Wilson." 

One time I literally yelled at them, "He was his only friend."

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dkb said:

My sisters still make fun of me, for crying and crying when he loses "Wilson." 

One time I literally yelled at them, "He was his only friend."

I watched the film again over the weekend, and that moment on the make-shift raft arrived, and right away I could feel my eyes blur with welling tears that wouldn't go away for a good 5 or 10 minutes afterwards.

I doubt if I would go through the same sad & tearful emotions had it been a human friend instead of "just" a ball. Fortunately I was watching this on my own; but my parents want to watch it with me when they come over for Christmas dinner in a few days time. It's not often they have seen me cry, so they might be in for a big surprise should we eventually sit down and watch it.

• Love 3

Del's horrific botched execution in The Green Mile. I don't know what was more awful: watching him burn, John having to feel it, or hearing that pervert freak Wharton gloat about it.

John's death was gut-wrenching too. The guards all knew he was innocent but there wasn't a thing they could do to prove it or stop it.

• Love 9

Collateral (2004) - Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx

Not a huge of Cruise, but because this film was directed by one of my favourite directors - Michael Mann - I decided to give it a shot: and what a pleasure it was too!

Spoiler

Despite the slightly familiar chase scenes between Cruise and Foxx, near the end of the film, I really wasn't expecting Tom to end up dead!

It's not very often big stars play bad guys, but Tom pulled it off very well, and the fact he ended up the loser to Foxx's character in the subway train scene at the end, really surprised me. And even as the camera pans out from his lifeless body on the train I am still somehow expecting him to wake up, shake his head a little, load his semi-automatic and go off hunting his prey again. 

Kudos to Cruise for playing the loser rather than the hero all the time. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Del's horrific botched execution in The Green Mile. I don't know what was more awful: watching him burn, John having to feel it, or hearing that pervert freak Wharton gloat about it.

John's death was gut-wrenching too. The guards all knew he was innocent but there wasn't a thing they could do to prove it or stop it.

"The Green Mile" is one of only a handful films in my collection that I can barely bring myself to re-watch. It always, always ends in tears for me purely because the lead characters are so well drawn, with plenty of depth and empathy. And I loved and adored the little mouse - Mr Jingles.

But oh what a very sad film in places; it reminded me of The Shawshank Redemption in some respects (same director, and same original author I think), but far darker and demanding on the senses.

• Love 5

This might be a weird choice, but Bill's death in Kill Bill Vol 2.  Yeah, we all knew it was coming and yeah it had to be done, but Uma and David Carradine's performance in that scene just sold it:

It must be said: Bill went out with style.

• Love 2

In honor of the late Milos Forman, I'd like to post some of the most tragic deaths in his films:

The Chief smothering the lobotomized Randal with a pillow in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.  Even though it was an act of kindness -- nobody wants to live like that -- it was so heartbreaking.

Sarah getting beaten to death by those cops in Ragtime.  It infuriated me to no end, especially the police brutality we've seen in the news these days.  She was just trying to get the President's attention during the speech, and those assholes just pummeled her.  Sickening.

Coalhouse's death was awful too.  He did pretty much become a terrorist, I can't justify that, but you can't help feeling bad for him, because none of it would have happened if those asshole firemen hadn't shit in his car.

And of course, Mozart dying and winded up in a pauper's mass grave in Amadeus

• Love 2
On 2/8/2018 at 12:27 PM, Spartan Girl said:

This might be a weird choice, but Bill's death in Kill Bill Vol 2.  Yeah, we all knew it was coming and yeah it had to be done, but Uma and David Carradine's performance in that scene just sold it:

It must be said: Bill went out with style.

"How do I look?"

"You look ready."

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:22 AM, Trini said:
On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 12:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Hiccup's dad in How To Train Your Dragon 2. That death was horrific on so many levels, it almost puts all the Pixar deaths to shame.

What makes it even worse was that it happened just when I was starting to like him.  He was a jerk in the first movie, but but once he got over that it was easy to warm up to him.

Yes. And that Toothless killed him. I know it's the whole he was under a spell thing, and that happens in TV/movies but I always wonder how people get past that.

I remember seeing HTTYD2 in the cinemas with my godson and his mother - who are both massive fans of the first one. My godson (4 at the time) was distraught at Toothless killing Stoic. He sat there saying 'I hate this movie, I hate this movie'. We had to help calm him down in the cinema and try to explain that Toothless didn't mean to. Thankfully by the end when Toothless saves the day he was jumping in his seat cheering on Toothless and saying 'I love this movie'. But at the time it was so heartbreaking to see a little boy be so angry at a character he loved so much and not being able to fully understand why. Of course after the movie ended we were able to fully explain the process and he shifted his 'hatred' onto Drago for being cruel to Toothless.

• Love 8

Now that Infinity War is out...

Peter! Parker! Of all the Doctor Who references (intentional or not) "I don't want to go" is the absolute worst one to do. What a gut punch.

Vision -- both of them. One is sad and drawn out and the other was brutal and horrible

Gamora -- ugh. All of her scenes - ugh.

Too many to name what with the mass dusting. I know a decent chunk will come back in the next movie, but it still hurts. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 9

Spec for Infinity War Into Darkness

Spoiler

I think her soul IS the Soul Stone, and that it will turn out that her death actually was too high a price for Thanos.  That’s how they’ll undo it  

Infinity War:

I know this is MASSIVELY UNPOPULAR, but I don't care, because Thor needs an antagonist: Loki. Hell, it's losing Tom Hiddleston, dammit. And Heimdall.

Everyone will fucking come back. Like I said in the movie thread, I don't care if it's a cheat.

• Love 5

Peter Parker hurt my heart a little...but Groot made me angry. He already sacrificed himself in the first "Guardians..." movie and proved to be clutch again, supplying the handle for Thor's axe. WHY DID HE HAVE TO DIE AGAIN?! Get the racoon the F outta here ?

• Love 4

OK, since this movie's been out for 35 years now, I don't think I need to spoiler it but I was rather sad at Anakin Skywalker's death in Return of the Jedi. I mean, I know the series was (then) wrapping up loose ends and all but I always thought it would have been FAR better had he actually survived to face the music and atone for everything Vader had put his family and the galaxy through!

• Love 2

Deadpool 2: 

Even though it was undone at the end, I was NOT happy that they fridged Vanessa. I suppose I ought to be grateful that the writers didn't go with their original plan of her dumping Wade; I reeeeeeally hate when they go out of their way to turn a cool love interest into a complete bitch (see Lee on Gotham). But Vanessa is a cool character with lots of potential, and I hate that they squandered it. Hoping they give her a better story in the next one.

• Love 1

Just saw The Crimes of Grindelwald:

Grindelwald and his followers murdering that Muggle family -- including their baby -- for their house was hideous. The fact that the actual murder happens offscreen doesn't make it any less chilling.

And I was upset that they killed off Leta because she was such a cool character. But at the same time, I get why she did it. The fact that she was responsible for her baby brother drowning was a hell of a thing to carry for so many years, and even finally confessing it didn't make it any better -- especially when she learned her baby swap ruined Credence's life because he was delivered to an abusive home. She obviously couldn't live with it for another day, and that's what led to her doomed attempt to take Grindelwald out.

Dick Halloran in The Shining. Scatman Crothers was such a warm, reassuring presence in what was for the most part a cold, unsettling movie (which is presumably one of the reasons why he was killed off). That he fights his own fears of the hotel and the elements to try to save a kid he just met only to be murdered soon after he gets to the Overlook still upsets me.

Goliath the chimp in the 1987 movie Project X. He saved everyone and then died of radiation poisoning without even getting his promised reward of a cigarette.

This one may be a bit ridiculous, but I was horrified by the 'murder' of the cute animated shoe in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when I saw the movie as a kid. The shoe's sweet squeaks turning into terrified squeals as it's submerged in the dip were genuinely disturbing, as was Christopher Lloyd's glee in 'killing' it.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

This one may be a bit ridiculous, but I was horrified by the 'murder' of the cute animated shoe in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when I saw the movie as a kid. The shoe's sweet squeaks turning into terrified squeals as it's submerged in the dip were genuinely disturbing, as was Christopher Lloyd's glee in 'killing' it.

YES. I caught that movie on some channel a few months back and that scene still got to me a bit. 

• Love 7
On 11/25/2018 at 10:04 AM, krankydoodle said:

This scene still disturbs me to this day! It's effective, to say the least lol

• Love 9
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Infinity War:

I know this is MASSIVELY UNPOPULAR, but I don't care, because Thor needs an antagonist: Loki. Hell, it's losing Tom Hiddleston, dammit. And Heimdall.

It isn't unpopular with me. Loki is the only reason I bothered with any of the Thor movies after the first one. 

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 3
On 9/28/2017 at 9:20 AM, coppersin said:

I saw it with friends and we were negotiating the entire drive home, how one of them could come back in the third movie like Harry did in this one. All while carefully skirting around the fact that not everyone could come back from supposed death. It's like Schrodinger's cat - until the next movie comes out and proves me wrong, they're all alive.

Just saw this movie recently, and I think they left an out for Roxy's return in a sequel. She knows the missiles are coming, and we see her running before the explosion. It's possible she made it to a bunker that was buried in rubble during the remainder of the movie.

• Love 1

Sang-Hwa in Train To Busan. He was my favorite character in the movie (funny, badass, his relationship with his wife was sweet) and I'm still pissed that he died (tho glad he died epically).

• Love 2

The baseball boy's murder in Doctor Sleep was just awful, even by Stephen King's standards.

And in keeping with The Shining's example of killing off characters that lived in the original novel

I hated that they killed off Dan, Billy, and Abra's dad. Dan was the hardest because he deserved a happy ending, but it was a heroic death, destroying the Outlook so it couldn't get anyone else. And I loved how Wendy appeared with him at the end. Take that everyone that dissed Wendy!

• Love 2
On 11/18/2019 at 3:15 PM, Spartan Girl said:

The baseball boy's murder in Doctor Sleep was just awful, even by Stephen King's standards.

And in keeping with The Shining's example of killing off characters that lived in the original novel

Reveal spoiler

I hated that they killed off Dan, Billy, and Abra's dad. Dan was the hardest because he deserved a happy ending, but it was a heroic death, destroying the Outlook so it couldn't get anyone else. And I loved how Wendy appeared with him at the end. Take that everyone that dissed Wendy!

That was shocking, considering I seen murders in horror movies that do involve kids(see the remake of The Blob). When I was at the theaters, I sat next a woman who screamed when that happened and one of the 17 year old boys in front were bawling out when that happened for 5 minutes. You could hear the sniffles and his friend was insisting to say, "It's just a movie, etc." But he was an emotional wreck. I really felt bad for him. What is interesting is that it's not the extended version shown in theater. There is actually a longer scene to that, according to the director himself. 

• Love 2

The only movie deaths that ever affected me where ones I watched as a child.

Beth in Little Women (1994); I saw the movie before I read the book and had not expected a death to occur in a movie about the bond between four plucky sisters. When she's dying and says to Jo, "I'm not afraid. I can be brave like you. But I know I shall be homesick for you, even in heaven" 😭

Alice and Uncas in Last of the Mohicans; I thought the good guys were going to win, lol. Didn't expect Uncas to basically get gutted like a fish. That moment when Uncas has two awful gashes under his arms, he's bleeding heavily, and he looks at Alice and he knows he isn't going to win, that he's going to die, but he has to try anyway? Then Alice's death which is filmed incredibly well. The music in this scene is one of my favorite instrumentals from any film. Alice has such a haunting, piercing look on her face as she steps to the edge of the cliff. 8 year old me thought this was very tragic and romantic.

Sarah in Rosewood; so this was traumatizing 😒 We had been learning about racial segregation and race riots in America after the Civil War and and my teacher decided to spotlight the Rosewood Massacre because the film had just come out. So going into the movie I had an idea of what would happen, even though they changed quite a bit. But still, when she opened the door, saw the mob of angry white men, and stepped out onto the porch to try to placate them all by herself I started ugly crying. She was telling the truth! She was just trying to protect her son and all the little kids inside! Then that shot, and Sylvester's "mama?" 😭😭😭I only just recently rewatched it and it turns out I knew that scene pretty much shot for shot, line for line, it's seared into my memory.

• Love 1

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!! I can no longer watch it bc of the grief I experience when the baby ant dies defending the kids!! Also, The Crow because of what happened to Brandon and Selena, especially the hospital scene because you know it actually happened..

Other movies I can't watch bc of deaths that have already been mentioned:: Atrex in The Neverending Story and Goliath (not to mention all the other abuse/experimentation) in Project X.

Somehow, I'm able to deal with my sadness and keep watching through:

Matthew in Anne of Green Gables

The Shoe in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Richie in La Bamba

I'm sure I'll be back with more..

Edited by punkypower
Bc ant and can't are completely different things..
  • Love 5

I'm SO sorry to reply to myself. However, I cannot believe I forgot this one!!

The ending of A.I./Artificially Intelligence

In an entire movie where I cringed at the horrors David and the other AI entities suffered through (Very few characters have I hated more than Martin, just for being, and Henry and Monica for how they tossed David away), I avoid watching this movie most for the ending. Not so much because of David and faux-Monica's deaths, but poor, poor, Teddy who is now stuck at the side of his dead companion for the rest of eternity. I ugly-cried for quite awhile after the credits rolled. Another reason I do not re-watch is because I have yet been able to watch any Robin Williams movie, and the Ask the Professor scene will be brutal when I get around to it.

Dizzy Flores on Starship Troopers

The movie is a guilty pleasure for me.   I usually watch it up until her death and occasionally her funeral and then turn the movie off.  She was always my favorite character.  And dammit I shipped Rico and Dizzy.  

• Love 2

I found Adam Sandler's character in Uncut Gems so loathsome that I honestly felt nothing but relief when his character was shot in the head after winning that big bet. It was a good film, but I have no intentions of watching it again because of how much I hated the main character.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:41 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Dizzy Flores on Starship Troopers

The movie is a guilty pleasure for me.   I usually watch it up until her death and occasionally her funeral and then turn the movie off.  She was always my favorite character.  And dammit I shipped Rico and Dizzy.  

I could never understand why Rico was so hung up on Denise Richards' character, when Dizzy Flores was right there and clearly wanted him. But I've always had a huge crush on Dina Meyer.

The one thing I hated about her death was that "at least I got to be with you" sentiment, as though her life didn't really matter now she'd managed to have sex with Johnny Rico.

• Love 1

Khalil's death in The Hate U Give. Him getting shot by the cop for no reason was horrible enough, given how many times that's happened in real life. But what made it even worse was how Starr was cuffed by the cop and couldn't do anything but scream for help as she was forced to watch him bleed out on the ground. Not to mention she'd already seen her friend Natasha get killed by that gang when she was a little girl.

• Love 2
On 11/25/2019 at 9:42 PM, slf said:

Alice has such a haunting, piercing look on her face as she steps to the edge of the cliff. 8 year old me thought this was very tragic and romantic.

I watched it as an adult for the first time a couple of years ago and that movie holds up incredibly well.

• Love 9