Type keyword(s) to search

Still Not Over It : Movie Deaths

• Start Topic

I don't mean to be repetitive from my movies that make you cry post but, ugh, dammit Marley why did you have to die!

Dog movies are the worst......

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 7
On April 23, 2016 at 9:01 PM, bosawks said:

I don't mean to be repetitive from my movies that make you cry post but, ugh, dammit Marley why did you have to die!

My aunt's dog, whom I loved like my own, died just last week. Today I caught the end of Marley and Me on TV.

Big mistake. HUGE.

• Love 4

That's not really on Joss though. I don't think anyone has ever come out and said it officially, but its pretty clear because the twins exist as both X-Men and Avengers than both MCU and Fox had good claims to their rights so the studios made a deal. Fox gets Quicksilver and MCU gets Wanda. Joss had to kill him because that's what the studio told him to do. If it were up to Joss, it was way more likely he would have killed either Hawkeye (since we spent all that time developing him and giving him a family) or one of Black Widow/Hulk to make their romance tragic. Joss loves that stuff.

• Love 2
(edited)

Kawada's death in Battle Royale

"At the end, I'm glad I found a true friend"

Combined with the music that plays when it happens, I felt like crying.

Oh, and Little Foot's mother's death at the beginning of The Land Before Time.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

Coral's death in Finding Nemo was just so awful.  Even more tragic is that her desperation to protect the eggs kind of backfired on her.  The barracuda followed her inside the hole/nest/cave.  Had she not zipped in there, it might not have known there were eggs inside.  Coral did what any mother would have done, and yet she wound up dying in vain, because all the eggs except Nemo, wound up eaten anyway.

• Love 7
On 24/04/2016 at 2:01 AM, bosawks said:

Yup - Marley is one of very few that have made me cry as an adult; going back to childhood, I'm still traumatised by the death of Artax in The Neverending Story

I think the running theme for me is innoncents - kids and animals; and generally speaking these are too cynical in their emotional manipulation to "get" me.

My brother on the other hand, can cry at anything; most memorably Bing-Bong

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Coral's death in Finding Nemo was just so awful.  Even more tragic is that her desperation to protect the eggs kind of backfired on her.  The barracuda followed her inside the hole/nest/cave.  Had she not zipped in there, it might not have known there were eggs inside.  Coral did what any mother would have done, and yet she wound up dying in vain, because all the eggs except Nemo, wound up eaten anyway.

*silent tears*  I haven't seen the film in a long time, but I remember that scene. 

Here's an offbeat one - there was a fairly bad movie called Street Kings from several years back, and it featured a younger, but mighty FOINE Chris Evans. I was soooooo devastated when his character is killed.  I should have seen it coming, but I didn't.  You don't just kill the pretty!  Still upset over that one. *pours out ginger ale for Diskant*      

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm watching West Side Story for the umpteenth time right now, and I'm still not over Nardo (Bernardo) and Tony getting killed.  Nardo's death hurt the most because I had a crush on George Chakiris (I didn't even care when I found out later on he was gay).  Stupid teenagers and their turf wars.

Oh, I forgot about Cochise in Cooley High.  I was gutted when he got killed by, again, stupid teenage thugs. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

I can't help it, but WSS makes me cry every time I watch it. Most of the time I just stop right before the rumble and watch Cool and then turn it off. 

Ah, the Phoebe Buffay approach to movies.

• Love 4
On 6/24/2016 at 0:26 AM, JustaPerson said:

I can't help it, but WSS makes me cry every time I watch it. Most of the time I just stop right before the rumble and watch Cool and then turn it off. 

Sometimes I want to imagine that Tony and Maria run away together and there was no crazy misunderstanding.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, BatmanBeatles said:

Sometimes I want to imagine that Tony and Maria run away together and there was no crazy misunderstanding.

Years ago the National Lampoon published a "Depression Issue" and ended it with a re-write of some classic downer movie endings to help the readers recover. It included a WSS in which Maria is bending over Tony and he whispers to her that he's just faking it and they can run away together. There was also a Gone With the Wind that ends with the reconciliation of Scarlett and Rhett, and an Easy Rider in which the rednecks are just teasing Fonda and Hopper with a toy gun.

• Love 1

Ellie from "UP" that was so hard to watch. Charlotte in Charlottes Web(the old animated film). That end scene with her and Wilbur destroys me every time. John Coffey from "The Green Mile". As if the characters death wasn't sad enough watching it now knowing MCD has passed makes it even sadder.  Bubba & Forrest Gump's mom dying are just two of the reasons I don't watch that movie unless I want to sob. 

• Love 5

Maude's death in Harold and Maude made me sad because I liked her so much. I wish that my grandma was that cool. On one hand, suicide is terrible. On the other hand, she did live a fulfilling life, and if she was ready to go while her mind and body were still intact...I've got to respect that.

• Love 2

Hiccup's dad in How To Train Your Dragon 2. That death was horrific on so many levels, it almost puts all the Pixar deaths to shame.

What makes it even worse was that it happened just when I was starting to like him.  He was a jerk in the first movie, but but once he got over that it was easy to warm up to him.

• Love 1

I had some things going on in my life at the time, which probably contributed, but I wept uncontrollably when they killed Kevin Costner's wolf in Dances With Wolves.   It was all I could do to get out of the theater and to the car.  I really enjoyed the movie but I've been afraid to watch it ever since, partly out of fear that I'd have the same reaction, and partly that I wouldn't.

You always hear how upsetting Spock's death was in Wrath of Khan but I was more affected by Kirk's death in Generations.   Two reasons: 1) seeing one of my lifelong heroes die in a such an inglorious way, in such a bleak place, and 2) because at the moment of death he uttered "Oh my," as if he glimpsed something that took his breath away.   This was Kirk, who had witnessed the marvels of the galaxy.  Imagining what wondrous thing he could have seen in his final moments resonated with my own occasional sadness at how temporary this life is, even if there is something greater beyond.  

• Love 2
On 9/27/2016 at 10:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Hiccup's dad in How To Train Your Dragon 2. That death was horrific on so many levels, it almost puts all the Pixar deaths to shame.

What makes it even worse was that it happened just when I was starting to like him.  He was a jerk in the first movie, but but once he got over that it was easy to warm up to him.

Yes. And that Toothless killed him. I know it's the whole he was under a spell thing, and that happens in TV/movies but I always wonder how people get past that.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2016 at 10:05 PM, millennium said:

I had some things going on in my life at the time, which probably contributed, but I wept uncontrollably when they killed Kevin Costner's wolf in Dances With Wolves.   It was all I could do to get out of the theater and to the car.  I really enjoyed the movie but I've been afraid to watch it ever since, partly out of fear that I'd have the same reaction, and partly that I wouldn't.

You always hear how upsetting Spock's death was in Wrath of Khan but I was more affected by Kirk's death in Generations.   Two reasons: 1) seeing one of my lifelong heroes die in a such an inglorious way, in such a bleak place, and 2) because at the moment of death he uttered "Oh my," as if he glimpsed something that took his breath away.   This was Kirk, who had witnessed the marvels of the galaxy.  Imagining what wondrous thing he could have seen in his final moments resonated with my own occasional sadness at how temporary this life is, even if there is something greater beyond.  

I cannot and will not watch Dances with Wolves again for that reason, not to mention what happens to countless other animals in that film. Also, Robert Pastorelli's character.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 2

Bette Midler in The Rose.  Her collapse combined with that song always kills me. 

Ralph Fiennes in The English Patient, when he dies as Hannah reads to him Catherine's last words.

It's just a horror film, but there are two hard deaths in 30 Days of Night.  When Carter confesses that he had been bitten by the little girl, and couldn't live forever because his dead family was waiting for him.  Then requests Eben kill him.  It's all in JH's expression when he returns to the room after decapitating Carter.  Then there's JH's character injecting himself with vampire blood to save the estranged wife he's realized he's still in love with.  He promises her earlier that they will watch the sunrise together.  And at the end, they watch the sunrise, and she holds him as he screams in agony as the sun kills him.

On December 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

Hide contents

I hope Harrison Ford is happy now!

*cries forever*

I was spoiled for that ending, and I still cried.  In part because Ben did seem so anguished and torn, but also Rey's and Fin's reactions.  Heartbreaking. Leia needs to watch her back.  

• Love 2
On July 10, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Dancingjaneway said:

Ellie from "UP" that was so hard to watch. Charlotte in Charlottes Web(the old animated film). That end scene with her and Wilbur destroys me every time. John Coffey from "The Green Mile". As if the characters death wasn't sad enough watching it now knowing MCD has passed makes it even sadder.  Bubba & Forrest Gump's mom dying are just two of the reasons I don't watch that movie unless I want to sob. 

And Jenny!  How can you forget Jenny?  After all those years as child, praying to be a bird so she could escape her father's abuse.  Then Forrest watching the birds fly away at her graveside.

• Love 5
On 5/31/2016 at 0:08 PM, vibeology said:

That's not really on Joss though. I don't think anyone has ever come out and said it officially, but its pretty clear because the twins exist as both X-Men and Avengers than both MCU and Fox had good claims to their rights so the studios made a deal. Fox gets Quicksilver and MCU gets Wanda. Joss had to kill him because that's what the studio told him to do. If it were up to Joss, it was way more likely he would have killed either Hawkeye (since we spent all that time developing him and giving him a family) or one of Black Widow/Hulk to make their romance tragic. Joss loves that stuff.

That's really just pure speculation on fandom's part. Whedon has gone on record that he planned to kill Quicksilver from his earliest draft of the script (long before FOX decided to include Quicksilver in Days of Future Past). Additionally this "deal" would have only worked if both studios didn't include the other twin. Except FOX actually has a cut scene referring to Wonda (confirmed by Singer) and Marvel included both, Pietro and Wonda in Winter Soldier and AoU. 

It's more likely that Marvel decided to let Whedon kill Quicksilver since they knew they always had the option of bringing him back in Infinity Wars. Between the gems and Wonda there's no limit to what could happen. 

Back on topic. Han Solo's death in TFA still kills me. I also hate the death of Jim Brown in The Dirty Dozen, Gus in Lonesome Dove, Robb and Ned Stark in Game of Thrones, Sirius Black, Tonks, Remus and, Fred in Harry Potter. Johnny Cade in The Outsiders, there's probably more, that I've blanked on simply because they're too traumatic 

• Love 4

So. Just saw Logan.

Holy shit, you kill off Logan AND the Professor?! And in a horrible bloody awful way?! Logan's was especially hard to watch. I get it, it's Jackman's last movie and he had to go out in glory, but still! Oh, and killing off the farmer family that tried to help them was so brutal and unnecessary. Just like the poor old couple in the lesser 

Origins.
(edited)

Bumping this thread up to give mention to Ofelia's death in Pan's Labyrinth. A brutal, pointless, cruel murder that not even the scene of imagined or real scene of her being transported to the underworld with her "real" parents could make any better.

Someone earlier mentioned Spock's wonder of whatever he witnessed in his last moments. That was the same case with Ofelia. That fleeting, blissful smile before she died destroyed me.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

Bumping this thread up to give mention to Ofelia's death in Pan's Labyrinth. A brutal, pointless, cruel murder that not even the scene of imagined or real scene of her being transported to the underworld with her "real" parents could make any better.

Someone earlier mentioned Spock's wonder of whatever he witnessed in his last moments. That was the same case with Ofelia. That fleeting, blissful smile before she died destroyed me.

I sobbed ugly tears when I watched the ending of that film. It really stayed with me too...and even though you actually see her die in the first scene of the film it's still a shock when it happens, at least it was to me.

• Love 2

The unexpected death of Michael Sullivan (Tom Hanks) near the end of the film "The Road to Perdition" (2002)

Never saw that coming, especially an A-list star like Hanks. But to see him shot in the back while staring out of a beach house window, shook me to the bone. And of course the sombre score from Thomas Newman, just added to the mood.

• Love 7
On 9/6/2017 at 2:50 PM, cpcathy said:

Road to Perdition is one of my favorite films of all time, so, yes, I agree with you, Zola.

I just saw this movie recently and thought it was great. I was kind of holding my breath through the last half hour or so because I just knew Tom Hanks character wasn't going to make it through but just wondering when and where was so tense.

• Love 1

Arnie sacrificing himself at the end of Terminator 2.

Despite being nothing more than a robot I was quite sad to see him lowering himself into that vat of molten metal for the good of humankind.

Hasta la vista,

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm still particularly raw over Merlin, though maybe it was worth the death just to hear Mark Strong sing "Country Road."  Scratch that -- it wasn't. 

I just saw this movie on Monday and that scene gutted me.  The only way I could console myself was to keep telling myself "it's just a friggin' movie!"  That helped a little, but I'm still sad.  (I'm still hoping that he comes back to life like Harry did.)  

• Love 4

I saw it with friends and we were negotiating the entire drive home, how one of them could come back in the third movie like Harry did in this one. All while carefully skirting around the fact that not everyone could come back from supposed death. It's like Schrodinger's cat - until the next movie comes out and proves me wrong, they're all alive.

• Love 4