Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Fight Or Flight

I wondered why there weren't any insects visible on any of those corpses, there should be maggots under the skin and flies and insects on top if they're in a bad neighborhood unsupervised. Maggots might explain the lack of smell from the dead flesh.

Ugh!  Maggots!  I know they serve a useful purpose but I can't stand to look at them.  If maggots are in, I'm out!

• Love 2
(edited)
I wondered why there weren't any insects visible on any of those corpses, there should be maggots under the skin and flies and insects on top if they're in a bad neighborhood unsupervised. Maggots might explain the lack of smell from the dead flesh.

Ugh!  Maggots!  I know they serve a useful purpose but I can't stand to look at them.  If maggots are in, I'm out!

What if the maggots go on the attack too ?  And will the maggots have 'the defiant pupil' as well ?  What happens when the maggots turn into flies -- will the flies also go on the attack ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

The nonsensical thing here is that these animals still eat each OTHER. So you gotta figure this unified "humans bad" agenda has to run up against Dog realities like "Me like bacon. Bacon come from piggies. Piggies must die!" Or Cat realities like "Humans bring Tuna. Must not kill humans because then where's the Tuna come from?"

I mean Wolves, Cougars, Bears, etc. I get it. They're in the wild and we just get in the way mostly. Escaped Zoo lions? Maybe I get it if they assume they can just eat US and there are plenty of us (then again, Zoo Lions have got to be fat and lazy compared to real in the wild ones).

Maggots, Cockroaches, Flies, etc. would probably be on our side. The more of a mess we make of the world, the better off they are. They'll be the last to die if we kill the environment. Maybe the Bees might hate us. Flowers filled with delicious nectar probably go away long before the things that Maggots, Cockroaches and Flies eat.

• Love 2

I don't think it's individual animals getting together and deciding what to do, it's more like a hive mind arising with each animal being an analog to one of its brain cells. Mother Nature is waking up, she's pissed, and we're being given warning signs that if we don't clean up our rooms she's about to cut off our allowance.

• Love 3

I don't think it's individual animals getting together and deciding what to do, it's more like a hive mind arising with each animal being an analog to one of its brain cells. Mother Nature is waking up, she's pissed, and we're being given warning signs that if we don't clean up our rooms she's about to cut off our allowance.

At least it's not the trees....

• Love 2

I don't know. I'm not that convinced that humans are that great as a species at warding off physical attacks.

Other animals have all sorts of specific advantages over us with sight, smell, physical strength. We have 3 main advantages, brain power, opposable thumbs and innovation.

We have tonnes of weaknesses, poor collaboration skills, relatively frail bodies, long gestation and maturation times, increasing reliance on pharmaceutical and technological means to counter the myriad genetic and physical problems that are becoming more and more typical.

If animals interacted on a global level pooling their individual knowledge and experience, the human race would be in trouble. Their individual intelligence may not increase but their collective intelligence would be staggering. Humans may innovate a way to detect or destroy all the effected animals but not without heavy casualties .

Then again it's a tv show. I doubt the actual reality of animals developing sentience will really be explored. Otherwise they'd have to explain how we'd continue justifying treating animals as poorly as we do.

As for the animals diets they might all eat humans for a short time and when the human threat has been dealt with they'll break the telepathic connection and go back to their interactions pre humans.

It's not like knowing that something is sentient stops us from murdering each other in an endless series of wars. I doubt animals would have any trouble justifying killing each other when their actual survival depends on it whereas we murder each other for stupid reasons more often than not.

At the very least knowing that every one of the 19 billion chicken in the world knows that you're planning on having it as a snack or lunch or dinner may cause the agricultural industry to collapse.

I think it's a great premise but it's doubtful it'll explore the consequences of such a development or have much in the way of stakes . It'll be like 10 people who all have some sort of relationship with each other staging some guerilla warfare campaign against problematic animals. *sigh*

As for dogs... If they find out about puppy mills through their telepathic connection I doubt bacon will stop them chewing off our faces...

We have 3 main advantages, brain power, opposable thumbs and innovation.

Maybe, but our keenly honed ability to make weapons out of anything  that is available -- sticks, flint, tungsten carbide, wet string, whatever -- is going to be very hard to beat.  Especially once the element of surprise is gone. 

Maybe, but our keenly honed ability to make weapons out of anything  that is available -- sticks, flint, tungsten carbide, wet string, whatever -- is going to be very hard to beat.  Especially once the element of surprise is gone. 

I wouldn't call it keenly honed ability. Sure we can grab a book and use it as a weapon if adequately provoked but I fail to see how that would help against a concerted attack by animals against us. How will using a stick as a weapon help cattle ranchers when the cattle swarm the enclosures and trample cattle owners. Or when cute golden retriever puppies lure small children to be attacked by lions or pitbulls. Or when rats eat the food supplies, or squirrels attack power lines or birds pop out of every tree to peck out the eyes of the slow, the old or the fat.

It's easy to shoot fish in a barrel but it's harder to aim and fire while those fish are slamming into your face in suicide attacks.

Sure we could kill trillions of animals but I don't see it would help much. The chickens outnumber us 3 to 1 and they're omnivores who'll eat anything.

Factor in their global hive mind possibility and the fact that most people in the modern age have no idea how to live without electrical power or could even survive without their various medications every moment would be racked with danger. Especially if the ants start swarming.

(edited)

It's an interesting argument, isn't it?

I'll add one more item re food for thought:  as humans exited from Africa and started spreading across Europe and Asia, mass extinctions of many species occurred.  Now whether that would have occurred if we had encountered organized resistance on the part of our prey (for surely that was what these species were) is another story.  Even when armed with only spears and arrows, we are Not Nice.

I remember watching a series about the evolution of humanity on PBS where during one episode the question was raised, why did homo sapiens survive?  I yelled back, "Because we're all sonsofabitches!"

Edited by Pippin
  • Love 1
(edited)

We can out-endure almost any other land animal in a distance chase, and our ability to stop bleeding via blood clotting and recover from shock and serious but nonlethal wounds is monstrously better than other vertebrates. We're basically the relentless zombies of the animal world, although of course lots of animals have better speed/strength/natural weapons and can outfight us if we allow a fair fight.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
(edited)

To answer you question about what animals might come after him in Japan, how about really annoyed poodles with cube shaped haircuts

I was really hoping for schools of angry fugu who had Defiant Pupil'd their way to weaponizing their toxin delivery systems.

But no one is jumping in to say our chief weapons are fear, surprise and a fiendish devotion to the Pope? I'm very disappointed in you people!

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

But no one is jumping in to say our chief weapons are fear, surprise and a fiendish devotion to the Pope? I'm very disappointed in you people!

hahaha... well I had to make the 1st lame Shrodinger's cat joke; I can't do EVERYTHING!

;)

• Love 2

I don't know. I'm not that convinced that humans are that great as a species at warding off physical attacks.

Other animals have all sorts of specific advantages over us with sight, smell, physical strength. We have 3 main advantages, brain power, opposable thumbs and innovation.

Those things must combine ... there are intelligent creatures on the planet (dolphins, octopus), but they don't have the innovation. Mankind creates. Mankind builds. Mankind can survive in most environments.

(edited)

Plenty of other animals create and build, even if not in too many different environments.   My favorite animals, the rats, can create, build, and survive in most environments ( wherever you find humans, there you can find their devoted neighbors, the rats).  So can many animals I'm not so fond of, like ants.  Evolution isn't necessarily survival of the most complicated and advanced - thus horseshoe crabs and bacteria, evolution's champion survivors.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

I finished watching E02.  It took two weeks.  This show is painful to watch. 

I'll still stick around to the bitter end because James Wolk is so pretty.  He was so good in The Crazy Ones, which showcased his prettiness.  He deserves better than Zoo.  At least he'll be one of the survivors, I guess.

Smug Lady Journalist needs to be gone from my teevee.  I hope that she dies from a clowder of cats.  There's no way that some dude willl trade sex/dinner for her rent.  She's annoying and suffocating as hell.

Same with boring French Secret Service Faux Lesbian.  Boring.  As a top analyst, she's very smart to get in the car with creepy conspiracy theory dude.

I was amused by what happened in Slovenia.  I hope the evil terrier is the brains behind world domination.