Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Week 8

• Start Topic

Not that I put a lot of stock into her relationship with Ben H. anyway, but I suppose we are to assume she isn't very serious about him given that she didn't feel the need to have the Nick conversation with him as well.

• Love 3

Watching the end for the first time, Nick calls Kaitlyn an "amazing woman". Many of the other finalists have agreed.

This seems so strange at this point. To me, there is nothing the -remotest- bit "amazing" about Kaitlyn. She's cute, she's self-centered, she doesn't ever have much to say about anything they do and has said nothing at all about herself that I can recall nor does she seem interested in them (other than sexually, of course).

She's fine, but very ordinary. Is B-syndrome really so powerful? Or are they being coached by producers? (I noticed most of Jerod's comments were said in VO not in THs.)

I've come to see that Shawn is very buff, kind of ruggedly hot, and very, very dull. And that "Eskimo brother" thing was gross--I don't blame Nick for sharing it at all. He seems so much more intelligent than Shawn, and classier, but I think for Kaitlyn it will just come down to who she wants more "in bed time" with after the show. (No way, no how, is any of this leading to marriage).

• Love 5

The only one I could really believe that thought Kaitlyn was amazing was Jared, as they had such a different vibe on their dates. They actually had fun! I could see there what the producers were hoping for with her. Relaxed and fun.

With Nick, there was definitely sizzle and sexual chemistry, but I don't really get the sense anymore that he thinks she's amazing. With Andi, I bought he was in love with her. With Kaitlyn, I get the sense he thinks she's a great lay. And, for whatever reason, he is content to hang around but I think if he came into this show thinking there might be potential with Kaitlyn, that faded.

• Love 3

I think what has always been most attractive to Nick about Kaitlyn, and Andi to a lesser degree, is that she is the Bachelorette. I don't mean to make him sound completely superficial, I think that star-power thing is a big turn-on for at least half of the guys there.  Tha's probably why she's so, "amazing." I also think Nick might have become a little bit of an exhibitionist through his two seasons and he may get home and find that without the cameras he doesn't enjoy things quite as much. Two women couldn't be more different than Andi and Kaitlyn yet Nick has "fallen in love," with both of them.  They have only one thing in common.

I think Nick's appeal for Kaitlyn is about  the same.  He was a little bit of a star already from Andi's season, validated by her as a hot guy, and Kaitlyn, too, is turned on by the presence of cameras and microphones. I agree that he is more intelligent than she is and I doubt if they find many of the same things interesting.

I think Shawn is the right guy for Kaitlyn.  The one she would pick out at the local club as the hot macho, muscle man who would share her bawdy sense of humor (when he wasn't steaming about something) and have the same taste in movies and TV shows.  Plus, she likes the way he smells.  I actually think that's sort of important.

• Love 6

I think what has always been most attractive to Nick about Kaitlyn, and Andi to a lesser degree, is that she is the Bachelorette. I don't mean to make him sound completely superficial, I think that star-power thing is a big turn-on for at least half of the guys there.  Tha's probably why she's so, "amazing." I also think Nick might have become a little bit of an exhibitionist through his two seasons and he may get home and find that without the cameras he doesn't enjoy things quite as much. Two women couldn't be more different than Andi and Kaitlyn yet Nick has "fallen in love," with both of them.  They have only one thing in common.

Absolutely.  It's a psychological game, where if a bunch of guys are competing for the same girl, she MUST be something special.  I stand by my earlier statement that for most of these guys, if they met Kaitlyn at a bar or party, and saw her making out with another guy, they would move on and talk to someone else.  Since they're in a situation where she gets to pick the "best" guy, they're competing to win the "prize", even though the prize is not something they would really want, if not on this show. 

• Love 8

Absolutely.  It's a psychological game, where if a bunch of guys are competing for the same girl, she MUST be something special.  I stand by my earlier statement that for most of these guys, if they met Kaitlyn at a bar or party, and saw her making out with another guy, they would move on and talk to someone else.  Since they're in a situation where she gets to pick the "best" guy, they're competing to win the "prize", even though the prize is not something they would really want, if not on this show. 

That's what I kind of liked a lot about Ben H and his ideas about the FS. He seemed still so grounded in reality. I'm not even sure how much he feels toward Kaitlyn at all, or perhaps--as the long-time frontrunner's roommate ("off camera time" aside)--he has known for a long time that she really wasn't interested in him, is fine with it, is willing to play along to a point, but isn't going to pretend he can't wait to have sex with her.

Her reaction to that is still so strange to me. As for Nick, yes, it may had some "sexiness" for some people that this is all enhanced by the glamour of being on camera, the romantic setting (finally) etc. And I agree that he was genuinely in love with Andi and really did think Kaitlyn was a quick-witted, cute and fun girl that he might also find he had something great with. Now, I don't see how he feels that way still, but I can see the chemistry and this is without question the only B/B-ette I can remember with this much open sex. (CH's kind of pissy, prim attitude toward it, "Well, you've ruined our show by sleeping around so much before the FS, so now...sigh...we're going to just cut to that part first. Giving you all that "off camera time (wink wink)" that you seem determined to get whether we like it or not.

I don't like Kaitlyn and I actually think that in this context she did "cheat" on Shawn, and after he confessed his "trust issues". If he ever does the same to her, she's given him the perfect excuse--never a good idea. Nevertheless, whatever I may think of her in that regard, I really -do- like how she upset the format of this show and apparently threw producers into a tizzy with her open sexuality. In that sense, "it's about time!"

• Love 4

I don't commend Kaitlyn for how she explained it all to Shawn. Yes, the words were very good, very well chosen and clear. However, she basically had told him he was her bf, the only "one" she really wanted and they slept together, consummating that relationship and understanding.

Then, knowing her boyfriend has major trust issues, she does something to really hurt him just days after declaring their feelings--she sleeps with another guy who's just arrived on the scene. Now, in her confessional, she says, "You have to trust me" and instead of saying the obvious, "Why would I?" or "I don't" he says, "Okay."  And even when he asks a good question, "Do you regret it?" (in other words, was it a weird momentary thing but she basically would be faithful to him under normal circumstances) she basically answers, "No". 

"No" I don't regret cheating on you, and I'd do it again. (I -do- regret committing to you before I'd fully checked out/test driven any other prospects). That's not "free expression of sexuality" imo. That's just a garden variety opportunist. If Chris Soules or Juan Pablo had acted like that, everyone would say he was an egotist and a cad.

What's to admire about a woman like that?

First, the idea that Kaitlyn slept with Shawn is still only conjecture.  You might think they have, but we do not have any evidence of this yet.

Second, she did tell him she regretted telling him he was the one.  She made it clear he was NOT her boyfriend.

Therefore I cannot agree that what Kaitlyn did was "cheating" at all.  If Shawn has trust issues, then it's on him to go on this show, not Kaitlyn.

• Love 2

I think the trust issues are all on Kaitlyn's side.  Obviously she didn't trust Shawn, so she had to placate him with the "you're the one" phrase to keep him in line.  Obviously she doesn't trust Ick, because she had to pull him aside & tell him not to tell anybody about the sex.  Obviously she doesn't trust Ben, because he's totally in the dark about everything going on. 

I think she's that girl that believes a guy will only love her if she has sex with him.  I think her sense of self-worth is pretty low.  So she overcompensates with blatant, in-your-face sex with these guys to distract them.  

/soapbox and amateur, armchair psychobabble.  

• Love 7

Watching the end for the first time, Nick calls Kaitlyn an "amazing woman". Many of the other finalists have agreed.

This seems so strange at this point. To me, there is nothing the -remotest- bit "amazing" about Kaitlyn. She's cute, she's self-centered, she doesn't ever have much to say about anything they do and has said nothing at all about herself that I can recall nor does she seem interested in them (other than sexually, of course).

Obviously the editors have decided what story they want to tell us, and part of that story is the "character" of Kaitlyn that they have built. I put more faith in what the contestants say about the lead and each other than what I see on the screen, because there is a whole lot more going on than we are seeing. Which is why the out takes are always the best part, you get to see some actual personality!

• Love 3

Does Kaitlyn have a good education--a degree?  A profession?   Does Shawn have a degree?  Did he have a profession before his accident?

With Kaitlyn, I get the sense he thinks she's a great lay.

Sorry...I must type the cliche` that came to mind...easy lay.  More like it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Shawn seems to have a college degree and some professional experience outside his "personal trainer" credentials.  No idea what Kaitlyn has past high school, but I haven't seen anything to indicate she pursued any higher education.  

Edited by leighdear
(edited)

A dance "scholarship" could have been a check for $420 her family collected and made out to a dance studio the next town over.  That kind of bio entry is meaningless without any kind of context or verification.   

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 6
(edited)

That's the safest thing to say.  She's not an actual dancer.  She's not a teacher.  She's not really anything that generates a paycheck, except for being a "Bachelorette" at the moment.   Maybe she has some sort of plans to do something at sometime in the future.  Maybe. 

ETA: OMG, I just read this.   I'm NOT saying this fits anybody on this show, but.......

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/16-questions-that-doctors-use-to-figure-out-if-youre-a-sociopath/ar-AAcLTIv

Edited by leighdear

Wow, she's dumb. Cosmetology school isn't a breeze, but it is usually done in one year. I never went, but I would have been able to determine what number guide to put on the clipper to do a men's standard short cut.

• Love 7

Could cosmetology school in Canada be longer? Also, do you specialize? Perhaps she was awful at cutting his hair because she went for skincare?

I think she was drunk and botched his hair on purpose, which makes it worse.

(edited)

She is even dumber than I thought. A dancer who can't dance and after 3 years (!) in cosmetology school she gave Josh a worse haircut than a 10 year old with no training would have. (And didn't even have the sense to stop when it started going badly.)

Shawn doesn't seem intelligent either so at least he won't notice how dull she is. I think Nick and Ben would (actually, I think Ben already has).

Edited by Padma
  • Love 3

Speaking as a professional dancer (in my youth) I have no idea what a "full ride scholarship" to a dance company could be. Dancers in a professional company are paid to perform. One would only pay tuition to be in a dance company if it was a company sponsored by a college or university dance department or a dance school, for the purpose of demonstrating the work of its students and giving them a chance to perfect their stage performance skills. And in that case, the dancer would usually describe it as having a scholarship to the school, not the company. Thus: "As a full-scholarship student with the American Ballet School, I interned with the New York City Ballet."

• Love 5

Kaitlyn does not carry herself as a dancer. She has worse port de bras than I do, and I have fat little T. rex arms.

Could cosmetology school in Canada be longer? Also, do you specialize? Perhaps she was awful at cutting his hair because she went for skincare?

Skincare specialty is even shorter.
  • Love 4

I fault Kaitlyn, but I fault Production more.  There was plenty of time to fix that mess.  I feel sorry for the guy.

• Love 1

Speaking as a professional dancer (in my youth) I have no idea what a "full ride scholarship" to a dance company could be. Dancers in a professional company are paid to perform. One would only pay tuition to be in a dance company if it was a company sponsored by a college or university dance department or a dance school, for the purpose of demonstrating the work of its students and giving them a chance to perfect their stage performance skills. And in that case, the dancer would usually describe it as having a scholarship to the school, not the company. Thus: "As a full-scholarship student with the American Ballet School, I interned with the New York City Ballet."

This is what I thought it meant (without any internship with the actual company). Especially since she doesn't mention any names--and doesn't move like a dancer or appear to have any real talent in that direction--I thought it was something like, 'I got a full scholarship (i.e. they waived my fees, maybe for the first semester?) to the Toronto Mid-City Dance School that has their own dance 'company' and does some local performances in schools, etc."

I take any of Kaitlyn's "careers" very unseriously, just as she seems to. 

The best thing I have learned about her is that Whitney Bischoff--who always impressed me--considers Kaitlyn a good friend.

• Love 3
(edited)

The worst thing about this season is that no one appears to be having any fun: not Kaitlyn, not the guys, not Chris Harrison, and certainly not us, the viewers.  

Not even sure TPTB are happy, considering Kaitlyn's Snapchat video.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 2

The guy who got wasted the first night was the only one who made it out with any fun to brag about, nebulous though it was.

Has Chris Harrison been MIA a lot these past 2 seasons, or is it just that when he's on screen, he's totally checked out?   Soules and Kaitlyn have been mind numbingly boring leads, it seems like Chris Hansen would shine in comparison.   Maybe he's ready to move on. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Chris Harrison is taking over hosting duties for "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" soon, so he's probably really involved with that. Though he's not giving up this franchise. 

But I think he's also totally checked out on the Kaitlyn debacle.  Minimal involvement and a don't-give-a-crap attitude when he's there.  I don't blame him a bit.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3
(edited)

Don't forget he had to write and promote his novel, "The Perfect Letter," reviewed here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/18/chris-harrison-book-the-perfect-letter_n_7293566.html

Man can't be everywhere, but if Show goes to Paris and Budapest and Bora Bora next season with more interesting leads, maybe he can put in more of an appearance vs the wilds of Des Moines last Bachelor and the less luxurious Ireland digs for the Bachelorette.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1
Has Chris Harrison been MIA a lot these past 2 seasons, or is it just that when he's on screen, he's totally checked out? 

But I think he's also totally checked out on the Kaitlyn debacle.  Minimal involvement and a don't-give-a-crap attitude when he's there.  I don't blame him a bit.

He's not on-screen much beyond the first night and the RCs (which themselves have become chaotic, when they aren't being postponed) but CH is an interesting barometer of the relative health of this show.

Ironically, now that he's obtained a partial producer's role/credit, the show's quality has nosedived.  Maybe it's not coincidence, though.

By now it's common knowledge that CH's own marriage has ended and this has removed his veneer of chaste, harmless, off-the-market chaperone, camp counselor and hack psychologist.  He's clearly lost patience with the participants, most of whom are a bit too streetwise for his liking and are involved for The Wrong Reasons.

CH's own tongue-in-cheek approach to his very own show is meant to shield him from criticism.  If you've ever heard him interviewed on radio or TV, he is merciless in mocking the contestants.  Perhaps they deserve it but when the producers are cynical beyond words it shouldn't come as a surprise when the audience and the participants follow suit.

• Love 2