Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The 17 Year Itch

• Start Topic

(edited)

"Was that her best take?" was pretty damn hilarious. (And sooooo true.)

What I'm wondering now is: are you going to swap out the DJ intro with whatever DJ David says after he gets the gig? ;)

(Though I can't remember what David's hook was, and I can't imagine anything more marvelously cheesy than that other guy's "See ya!" Heee.)

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

I am not a crackpot, but TV writers need to ask their accountant friends if the terminology they're using makes sense, because it almost never does.

• Love 2

I can't believe Jim was being such a dick--all she asked for was five minutes of conversation, and he couldn't be bothered. Way to cut off your nose, dude. If you had given her a few minutes, she would have had sex with you--WIN WIN. Instead, you had to be a big baby and go stomping away because you didn't get what you wanted the moment you wanted it. I wonder where Brandon got his petulance from...

• Love 1

As for the Twincest stuff, I saw this reunion interview thing with Brandon, Brenda, Dylan, Andrea, Steve and Kelly done in 2003.

Shannen Doherty said, in the beginning, she found it really hard to pretend Jason Priestley was her brother because she was insanely attracted to him. So when people asked her what the deal was with the occasional vibe, she was like, "Yeah, I know."

• Love 1

Another great podcast! "I need to be absentee from this!" Had that been Cindy's line, this episode would've been twice as good. Or bad. In this show it's hard to tell.

A little nitpick, Cindy and Glen said that it was their one month anniversary when she met Jim. Though, it makes Glen's obsession with her and what ifs all the weirder. Like, she obviously wasn't that into him initially if she dumped him for another dude right out of the gate. Not to mention Glen's weird introduction when he takes 8 million pictures of Cindy at a garden store and claims he didn't recognize her until afterward. So, that's just you going about your day, Glen?

That last clip did not include Brandon implying Brenda is his better half and she calls him dear. Really? Really? Come on, they had to know what they were doing.

Lastly, they say it's part of Brandon's personality to gloss over things and not look too deeply, even though they made being a reporter such a big part of his deal. I would love to know how some of the choices were made on this show. How did it all get to the air?

• Love 2

Lastly, they say it's part of Brandon's personality to gloss over things and not look too deeply, even though they made being a reporter such a big part of his deal. I would love to know how some of the choices were made on this show. How did it all get to the air?

I was thinking the same thing--that it odd that Brandon was supposedly so good at being a reporter, which you can't be unless you are interested in delving into something and finding stories. How could he be characterized in this episode as only being interested in the face value of things?

(edited)

I don't listen to the podcast; I just look at these pictures and GIFs and laugh my ass off. The picture of those creepy twins had me in stitches. Mulletwin looks like he wants to eat your soul.

These posts make me really want to binge on BH90210 and remember the good ol' days of the 1990s. My sister works at home and the show comes on during the day where she lives and she watches it. I am insanely jealous.

Edited by bilgistic

Haven't listened yet - I like to scroll through the visual aids without context first to see if I remember the episode details - and totally thought that screen shot of the plaid twins was the Menendez brothers.

• Love 3
(edited)

Today's shameful confession - In the early 90s, I had a shirt that depicted an English fox hunting scene in a repeating pattern. Apparently it was my attempt to look like Brenda Walsh. Somehow I did not have a fishing net dipped in gold paint to wear over a little black dress though.

Putting aside the banana clip and horrible dress, Cindy looks quite pretty. I think Jim and his hair shirt married up and should appreciate her more. I truly never noticed the twincest back in the day. It's seriously barfy.

Edited by KateeBar
  • Love 1
(edited)

I am never rewatching this show because I felt guilty enough the first time around but I never thought that Brandon didn't see what was going on in the episode; I thought he was just trying to pretend it wasn't happening as a defense. In other words, this was one of the least douchey early Brandon episodes.

Also Kudos to the actor playing Jim for being willing to look gross enough to help sell the plotline. I'm pretty sure that he knew how he looked in those light pink pajamas. *shudder*

One final thought -- please consider using shorter clips or talking over them even more because .... seriously, they make me cringe so hard that I almost have to quit the podcast sometimes.

Edited by rab01

I am never rewatching this show because I felt guilty enough the first time around but I never thought that Brandon didn't see what was going on in the episode; I thought he was just trying to pretend it wasn't happening as a defense. In other words, this was one of the least douchey early Brandon episodes.

Also Kudos to the actor playing Jim for being willing to look gross enough to help sell the plotline. I'm pretty sure that he knew how he looked in those light pink pajamas. *shudder*

One final thought -- please consider using shorter clips or talking over them even more because .... seriously, they make me cringe so hard that I almost have to quit the podcast sometimes.

dont change anything about the clips. One, they are hilarious. Two, some people aren't bothering to rewatch so the clips help paint the awful picture. Three, as someone who is rewatching, hearing people react to clips I found hilarious are part of the fun. I don't need them to be shorter either. This podcast is so great. My only cringe was hearing the word mansplaining because I can't stand that term in any context.
  • Love 2

I've never actually watched the show (just one episode of the new series...which I immediately regretted) but am listening to the podcast anyway, so I'm really liking hearing the clips! They can be cringeworthy at times (thinking of the Brandon basketball team episode) but they definitely help me follow along more than just descriptions of the scenes do. And yeah, hearing the reactions to them is probably my favorite part of the podcast LOL.

• Love 1

As an accountant, I can say that the line, "I'll take a personal exemption," was not accountant humor, it was what the writers thought was accountant humor. We're huge nerds, but we're not quite that bad.

I wish you'd stop short-shaming Brandon in these podcasts. Unless his behavior is driven directly by his height, it just seems uncalled for. It's like calling out the weight of the actresses, which you would never do.

The "absentee" thing really killed me since "absent" would make way more sense. "Absentee" is a noun, Cindy Walsh! The writers of this show… yeah, I think it's been mentioned that they were a little loopy at best.

Everytime I come back to this thread and see the "So Absentee" title, I crack up!

• Love 2

I wish you'd stop short-shaming Brandon in these podcasts. Unless his behavior is driven directly by his height, it just seems uncalled for. It's like calling out the weight of the actresses, which you would never do.

I only recall his height being a real running joke during the basketball episode where the show also made it a running joke. Anything taking the character down a peg is fine by me anyway. Everyone gets made of fun of hear. It's all in good fun.

Cindy's "I just can't take this" moment was the best. Carol went hard for that moment.

I will never be ashamed or cringe at my enjoyment for this show. I'm also the only straight guy I knew that ever watched it. But, I do not care. I got swept up in the drama. The show is entertaining in awful and awesome ways just like most shows of the 90's. It amazes me how many shows don't realize from the jump that viewers want drama they sink their teeth into. Rather or not Brandon can find a job is not something people want. Start with something interesting from the gate.

Yeah, I saw Brandon in this episode simply not wanting to deal with reality. He understood what was going on.

I really hope there will be a podcast dedicated to the Unauthorized 90210 movie coming to Lifetime.

• Love 2

I don't think Brandon is being "short-shamed". It was the producers who cast a myriad of tiny actresses opposite him in order to hide it.

I used to work in Hollywood right down the street from that famous theatre.(totally unrelated to show business job, just nearby). In addition to the theatre, a publicity office was across the street. Anyway I would run into a decent amount of celebrities who were in the area for events and whatnot. TV actors/actresses are teensy! All of them! It's like someone took normal people and turned on the shrinking ray. Kate Marra is about the same size as my 10 year old niece. Kathleen Robinson (we'll get to her soon enough) is maybe 5'2" and 95 lbs. you just don't notice because they're all so small it looks scaled on TV. It's odd running into a TV star in real life and realizing they can shop in the tween section. It's like the opposite of seeing a basketball player in real life and realizing they're giants!

Yup, I have seen numerous celebrities up close and personal at work and when asked about them, my stock answer is always, "even shorter than you'd expect".  My personal theory is that many little guys despair of being sports stars (Dustin Pedroia notwithstanding) and turn to music and/or drama to try to attract the ladies.

It's so common that it really wouldn't be worth mentioning if the show didn't call attention to it! TV actors aren't usually huge guys and JP and LO are slight even by that standard and then the show puts Brandon on the basketball team and keeps trying to write Dylan as a physically intimidating guy. No, none of that is true. It's like when they came up with the Kelly is a model story. No she's not. She's 5'5" and has rather short proportions even for her height. She is not jetting off to NYC to model. And Colin is a crappy painter so that whole plot line can just go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 1

For a few years I lived in the hometown of Mark Espinoza, who played Jesse on this show. When he would come back to visit, he would go to the bar that was my regular hang out. I was shocked at how small he was. On the show he looked fairly tall, but irl, he was probably about my height and super skinny. So I can only imagine how tiny the girls on the show were, as he was much taller than them on the show. As an aside, he was a super nice guy. My brother and I used to watch this show together every Wed night (another straight guy that watched the show), and my brother had just left to join the army. So I asked Mark to write a note for my brother and autograph a bar napkin, he happily did it.

• Love 2

I thought last episode was my favorite episode but now this is my favorite episode. I've been binge-listening so I guess they will all get better and better. Really liked John's commentary. He just goes in and rips everyone apart. Brenda and Brandon are the worst twins in the world. The only thing twinsy about them is their matchy names. What was with the weird lit mag dialogue? I don't know. But I need Dave to do impressions every ep. That was the only thing that was missing.

Edited by shouldbedancing

It's so common that it really wouldn't be worth mentioning if the show didn't call attention to it! TV actors aren't usually huge guys and JP and LO are slight even by that standard and then the show puts Brandon on the basketball team and keeps trying to write Dylan as a physically intimidating guy. No, none of that is true. It's like when they came up with the Kelly is a model story. No she's not. She's 5'5" and has rather short proportions even for her height. She is not jetting off to NYC to model. And Colin is a crappy painter so that whole plot line can just go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, I know this is from waaaay back, but who is LO?

Never mind, I think from the rest of the sentence that it's meant to be LP for Luke Perry.

Edited by Maharincess