Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: 5-Year Storm (2)

• Start Topic

A 600 mile wide storm continues to batter the fleet. Rookie skippers Jake Anderson and Josh Harris struggle to keep their heads above water while veteran captains Andy Hillstrand and Sig Hansen charge straight into the heart of the tempest.

Good episode!!!!!

How much experience does that relief captain have? The way he reacted with, "what do I do? What do I do?" Made me question how much experience he's got.

Jake has the lowest self esteem ever. One thing that confuses me: I could swear that the last time they showed the Saga almost rolling over, it was Jake in the driver's seat and bot the relief captain? It's been two weeks so maybe I just remember it wrong.

Sig looked like he hasn't slept for days. Hope the numbers pick up.

Andy bulldozing over everyone and jinxing the crew with his macho talk.

Of course Josh and the CM are sitting at the docks. And of course they have missed the storm. And of course they're at 0 in the crab count (when aren't they at 0?)

I was proud of that guy for quitting. Glad the CM crew are not falling for Josh's crap. Casey's right, it could have been handled better.

I was laughing when Josh expected the guy to say goodbye to him after he quit. Dude, you screamed at him, he quit, and you think he's gonna say goodbye before he leaves?

• Love 14

I couldn't figure out why Josh wasn't down there with them. I'd think he could still work alongside his crew- a better way to build a "team" and earn a little respect.  Especially when it is for an unseen problem that's holding everything up. Very telling that (based on what was shown) it took Casey telling him the guys were messing around, rather than Josh monitoring and keeping an eye out. Better yet, a well-placed, "Thanks for working hard - keep it up!" could have helped. 

I hope Jake was able to hear some of his crew's positive comments. I've got to think that for as green as he his (and sheesh - opies as a first time run?! yowza!), they've all got to be thankful that he's at least clean and sober. That would give him big points in my book. Is he Sig or Keith? Not yet. But Elliott scared me.  And I can appreciate his second-guessing his career choice. I've had jobs that as soon as I showed up thought, "Wow, what have I gotten myself into?"  Hope he does well. Looked like the weather was starting to cooperate, so maybe a few good days under his belt will allow him to relax and really get in the groove.

• Love 9

Hey, Josh, I bet acting tough for the cameras seemed like a good idea when you were practicing it in the mirror.

Well, he should have practiced a lot longer,because I couldn't understand a word he said. His rant made absolutely no sense. All he had to say was "We are late for the season, we can't afford to stand around on the dock talking, in fact I'll come down and help out with the rerigging. Everyone back to work!" Instead he just pissed off the crew, lost a crew member and showed what an ass he is. Well done.

Sounds like the Saga does have a warning signal for the big waves but the relief captain didn't have enough time to use it. Glad everyone was able to regroup and happily get back to  work the next day.

• Love 8

I couldn't figure out why Josh wasn't down there with them. I'd think he could still work alongside his crew- a better way to build a "team" and earn a little respect.  Especially when it is for an unseen problem that's holding everything up. Very telling that (based on what was shown) it took Casey telling him the guys were messing around, rather than Josh monitoring and keeping an eye out. Better yet, a well-placed, "Thanks for working hard - keep it up!" could have helped. 

It's because Josh is a STAR, of course.   This week, we learned that he's very bad with people on top of the rest of his issues.  There are several ways to deal with loafing employees that could get them back to work.  Incoherently yelling at them about how hard things are for you isn't one of them.

OMG, why were the boats working in such dangerous weather?   Honestly, they got off lucky that no one was killed and only one poor guy broke his leg.   Jake shut down operations for the wrong reason (existential freakout) but did the right thing.  His crew rested and got over being shaken up and went back to work under decent conditions.   Sig tried to walk a razor's edge by keeping working but modifying his method to try and protect the crew.  Fine, but a couple of hours of down time would have been better.  Time Bandit, you could have killed someone.

• Love 6

I had closed captioning on . . . the things that seemed to upset Josh the most were:  (1) He isn't sleeping well, and (2) He has a sore throat and can hardly talk.  He was berating the crew for only fixing 13 pots in 9 hours.  Gee, maybe if they had an extra set of hands, they could have gotten more done . . . and Josh could have encouraged them by example to work more and chat less.  But he was busy smoking and being the boss in the wheelhouse (of a ship that was tied to the dock).

Loved Casey's droll response, "I would have handled that differently."

• Love 13

I didn't understand all of Josh's rant either.   Except all the times he used the word "I"  and I think I caught of a couple "and I'm the captain"s.      So basically it was all about him and how's he the captain so he gets to rant and rave.   Not really a good way to actually get your crew to treat you like a captain.   

Jake on the other hand needs a little more of Josh's arrogance.    He needs to realize he's EARNED the right to be there.    He worked his way up from greenhorn to deck boss.   He did all the required training for his captain's license.   He put in his time over the summer.   He's done what he had to do and then some.   That chair is his.   He can handle it.   Mistakes will happen.   Look even Sig made a mistake trying to fish through that storm.    Jake has to stop expecting he will be as good as Sig is now, RIGHT NOW.    He's good enough.   And he's better than Josh or Elliott, albeit that's a low bar, but it's all he has to be right now.

• Love 11

Hey, Josh, I bet acting tough for the cameras seemed like a good idea when you were practicing it in the mirror.

And that's basically it.  Josh wasn't talking to the crew, he was acting, it was like watching someone's audition tape.  I do think that Jake needs more confidence, but I think that will come in time.  He's scared, but notice he's saying that to us, the audience, to the camera, he's not saying that to the guys.  

• Love 8

Well, I agree with everyone - I could not understand  most of what Josh was saying. He obviously has terrible people skills and the crew does not take him seriously or respect him, for good reason. For the last two years he has been too busy trying to be their bff  Can't be both the bff and the captain. Casey would certainly have handled it differently. How much you want to bet this sets it up for Jake Harris to be on the CM since Jake J. quit and Travis was on Chopped in Jan.

God, I am so tired of Jake A.'s whining - on and on. I think he is certainly qualified to be a captain but, mentally I am not so sure. It was nice to hear the crew saying good things about him.

Those waves were crazy, and Sig finally did the correct thing when he shut things down.  Andy was lucky someone was not more seriously injured.  I enjoyed The Bait  last night - it was funny with Keith on the "hot seat". Glad to hear he had good things to say about Amy - she is doing better than most of the greenhorns Keith has had.

• Love 2
But he was busy smoking and being the boss in the wheelhouse (of a ship that was tied to the dock).

OMG, this made me laugh and laugh - so true!

He's scared, but notice he's saying that to us, the audience, to the camera, he's not saying that to the guys.

He betrays himself in so many ways, though --- didn't he say something over the loud hailer like "hope nobody gets hurt" or something like that?  I remember cringing and thinking "Jake, shut up!"

The crew even openly said he's insecure and he's better than he thinks he is.  I'm guessing we're seeing Jake's Worst Moments, reel 1, but there's plenty of good to come.  Because on The Bait he's not acting like a guy who's never going back out in the Captain's chair again.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Who was in the Saga chair when the going got rough?  Hint:  Not Jake.  Who was the real captain?  Hint:  Not Jake.  That wave was horrific.  Any and all captains would have been momentarily at a loss.  This guy went too far trying to replay things instead of just issuing restorative orders, but no biggie.

Casey should also have been down with the crew refashioning the pots.  It was HIS mistake that put them there to begin with.

Does anyone know if Sig invented the methodology we saw (delaying sorting pots), or if this was something others had done for years?  How much time was involved with a given delay?  How much spoilage (dead crabs) resulted?

The editing was driving me crazy.  The one thing I always watch for in Opies is the icing of the F/Vs.  We saw a bunch of shots with ice-free bows and many with ice.  The narrative was chronological - all of it was directly related to that one horrible night and day.  From the time the good weather returned, there was no ice at all.  Ugh.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3

Lonesome - Casey and Josh should have both been down there working on the pots - they both screwed up.

I think I remember seeing Phil doing the Sig method once in a similar storm years ago. I saw the NW had ice but do not remember seeing any on the other boats. Those edit monkeys can drive you nuts.

• Love 4

I don't think it was an invention of Sig's -- I think they don't do it that way because it wastes fuel (jogging in place at the next pot).  In this case, however, you waste fuel doing it that way or waste fuel not fishing at all, or you take the risks and keep doing it with the waves coming over.

I think his consultation with the crew was more a matter of making sure they knew what his plan was, because it was a break in routine and they'd have to be really conscious about what they were doing and not on automatic pilot.  A couple of times he had to tell them to "go hide" after they put the dogs on because they were just automatically going through the usual motions.

Definitely agree that Jake is more the nominal captain at this point.  However, as much as the guy at the wheel was far more experienced, he himself would be running a boat if he had the drive/interest in doing it - he's probably not that much more temperamentally suited for it than Jake is, given his "What do I do?!!" confusion.  He may have had more hours behind the wheel -- especially the wheel of the Saga -- but I presume Elliott (with all his faults) didn't give up that chair during the worst weather.

We've seen all the captains flustered by waves and/or ice.  The very best performance under pressure that I ever saw on the show, however, was the guy from the Labrador (?) when the deckhand went overboard.  His voice was clear and calm and authoritative and not a trace of hysteria.  I always wonder why he didn't join the show, because he was awesome.  

• Love 5
(edited)

It looked like Sig's change in strategy was somewhat effective in cutting down the number of times the crew got blasted with giant waves. I think if the crab count had stayed good (and not dropped off), he would have continued charging through the storm for at least a little while longer.

He was smarter about how to approach it better than Andy, who's just letting his crew get hammered by the waves. Actually, I may have missed it, but did Andy shut operations down or did he make them continue to work after the guy broke his leg or whatever?

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

but I presume Elliott (with all his faults) didn't give up that chair during the worst weather.

Yeah, he is so tough about staying out in dangerous weather, that the boat owner from two years ago had to order him to stop finishing in a storm that everyone else ran from so the boat wouldn't sink.   I think Elliott is too stupid and/or uncaring of his crew's safety to know when to stop fishing.

• Love 4

He was smarter about how to approach it better than Andy, who's just letting his crew get hammered by the waves. Actually, I may have missed it, but did Andy shut operations down or did he make them continue to work after the guy broke his leg or whatever?

I thought we were going to see an airlift or something, but I guess a broken leg without bleeding isn't life threatening.  They laid the guy down on one of the bench seats by the table in the mess area, then went back to work.   The guy was saying he thought he might be ok to get up and work, if I recall correctly.

Someone mentioned on Discovery's Facebook page that Josh's beard appeared to grow several day's worth of hair during his walk from the wheelhouse to the galley/mess area.  Did anyone else catch that?

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, thanks to Kassa(ty), we know the disco people read this board.  So, I would like to give some advise to Jake and Josh.

Jake - I like you but please - STOP the fucking whining ! You are now a 35 year-old man with a beautiful six month-old baby. You sound like a two year-old toddler with your non-stop whining week after week after week. PLEASE- Act your age.

Josh - So you had a sore throat - STOP smoking like a chimney ! You have a beautiiful two year-old daughter to think of. I am sure you want to see her get married and enjoy any grandchildren.  If you keep up your smoking/drinking and partying, you may sadly end up like your father - gone way too soon. Oh, and BTW - since we know you only fish for King Crab and Opies when the cameras are on the boat, do yourself a favor and take a few management skills classes. You could sure use them after your fuck up last week.

There - I have said my my peace for the day - thank you everyone.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 7

Jake - I like you but please - STOP the fucking whining ! You are now a 35 year-old man with a beautiful six month-old baby. You sound like a two year-old toddler with your non-stop whining week after week after week. PLEASE- Act your age.

I wouldn’t be too hard on Jake. That’s just the storyline the editors have chosen for him this season. Most of his whining is probably just the on-site Disco producer asking how he feels about sending his men out in a dangerous storm. I predict that they will continue to show him moping around and then Sig will come visit to give him some fatherly advice and then boom he will suddenly turn into the greatest skipper ever.

• Love 5

We've seen all the captains flustered by waves and/or ice.  The very best performance under pressure that I ever saw on the show, however, was the guy from the Labrador (?) when the deckhand went overboard.  His voice was clear and calm and authoritative and not a trace of hysteria.  I always wonder why he didn't join the show, because he was awesome.  

I believe you are talking about Roger Strong and the Saga in the first year or so of the show.  Kevin is the one who went overboard and Roger calming talked everyone through it all.  Kevin was a greenhorn at that time.  During Opies, Kevin also broke his ankle.  Kevin did not have a great greenhorn season but he kept at it.  He was back on the Saga a couple of years back.

I don't recall why the Saga was not on the following season, it may be that the boat changed owners.

(edited)

Someone mentioned on Discovery's Facebook page that Josh's beard appeared to grow several day's worth of hair during his walk from the wheelhouse to the galley/mess area.  Did anyone else catch that?

Raises hand!!!  I did!  In fact, we rewound it to double check at the time. 

I was glad "one of their best deckhands" quit and I was hoping they all would have walked out but since they had already done so much labor (without getting paid) they probably had to just swallow it.  One crewmember was really giving Josh the evil eye the whole time and so was I.  

Nice job Josh, jerk.    I wonder how long he can trade on the goodwill Phil left behind?  It's got to be running low by now. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

That was one weird CookieMonsterish rant that Josh gave, wasn't it?   I mean, some of that stuff (the words that I could actually recognize) he was saying was completely out of left field.  Probably from way outside the stadium.  Don't know why he just couldn't have said something like, "Look, guys, we really need to get out to the fishing grounds ASAP.  Could you hurry it up a bit with the pots?   Everybody's necks are on the line here and we need to start making money or we're all pretty much screwed.  I'll come down and help too.  So let's get going!"    But NOOOO....he just starts lashing out at all of them on some strange diatribe.  I don't blame that guy for quitting. 

And as much as I think this show is edited/scripted at times -- you know what I was thinking?  I thought that once that crewman quit, that somehow Freddy would be standing by and ready to be hired once again -- making his triumphant return to the Cornelia Marie.  Hey, it still could happen!  ;)

• Love 3
I believe you are talking about Roger Strong and the Saga in the first year or so of the show.  Kevin is the one who went overboard and Roger calming talked everyone through it all.

I've gone through IMDB trying to figure it out.  Maybe my memory is just shot.  It definitely was Kevin and it may have been Roger Strong.  Except I thought that Kevin's foot breaking on that horrible hole-y deck was on his SECOND boat, and everybody discussing at the time that nobody'd want to hire such a jinx a third time since he fell off the first boat and got injured on the second (though that deck was so shameful, it was hardly his fault and a wonder nobody was hurt worse).  

So if the Saga was the one with the holes, it would not have been the one Kevin fell off of.  In my mind.  Which doesn't always synch with reality, alas.

• Love 1

I remember watching that episode when they did the marathon in early April.  I was impressed with how calm, cool and collected the captain remained as he gave instructions to the deckhands on what to do. I remember when I saw it the first time years ago, I was shocked they were able to get to the guy and safely rescue him. It was things like that that made DC so interesting. Sad to say, not so much any more. You guys are better than me, I did not remember the name of the boat.

Jake Anderson....sigh, what can I saw that's good about Jake Anderson. Um, nothing really. He's a weak captain and a lousy one to boot. He nearly got his men killed and doesn't know how to read the ultrasonic undersea graphs in order to put traps where there's actually some adult crab. Then he asks for Sig's help and gets it but screws up Sig's instructions anyway. He is not going to make a good captain, he's just not a leader of men. And he looks absolutely horrible, he's aged 20 years since he first appeared on this show. He'd better take care of his own health so he can be around to see his son grow up.

• Love 1

Two things about this episode:

- Sig looks more and more zombie-like as the season progresses. Seriously, he needs to take care of himself.

- Josh and Casey should have been down on the dock doing the work that needed to be done to get the boat fishing. The deckhands should have known exactly how many pots to update per day and Josh should have been working harder than any of them just to keep them motivated. That butt chewing he gave was amateurish and it's clear he still doesn't know how to manage people.

• Love 5

Good episode!!!!!

How much experience does that relief captain have? The way he reacted with, "what do I do? What do I do?" Made me question how much experience he's got.

Jake has the lowest self esteem ever. One thing that confuses me: I could swear that the last time they showed the Saga almost rolling over, it was Jake in the driver's seat and bot the relief captain? It's been two weeks so maybe I just remember it wrong.

Sig looked like he hasn't slept for days. Hope the numbers pick up.

Andy bulldozing over everyone and jinxing the crew with his macho talk.

Of course Josh and the CM are sitting at the docks. And of course they have missed the storm. And of course they're at 0 in the crab count (when aren't they at 0?)

I was proud of that guy for quitting. Glad the CM crew are not falling for Josh's crap. Casey's right, it could have been handled better.

I was laughing when Josh expected the guy to say goodbye to him after he quit. Dude, you screamed at him, he quit, and you think he's gonna say goodbye before he leaves?

This is just my opinion, but, if I was the Captain, I'd be out helping with the modifications that weren't his crew's problem.  He looked really bad sitting in the wheelhouse smoking & criticizing!!  Just sayin'.  (What a lazy POS.)

.... & don't even get me started on Jake.  Gawd!!!

• Love 1