Type keyword(s) to search

Gracepoint Vs. Broadchurch

I was curious to see how different actors would handle the same material. Maybe it's my own bias, but it seems like they are mostly just copying the original performances. I'd rather see them make their own acting choices and see how that changes the tone of the story.

• Love 1

I feel like the actors/actresses in Broadchurch were much stronger than they are on Gracepoint.  I'm really having a problem with the American actress playing Ellie, in particular.  I don't think she's very good, and even though Olivia Coleman was pretty hostile towards David Tennant's character on Broadchurch, I thought that they had nice chemistry.  I'm seeing no chemistry between the characters in Gracepoint. 

I kind of chuckle at the unspoiled viewers trying to guess who the killer is in Gracepoint.  Well, just take every single shady person on the show (which will eventually be practically every single person in this town) and chuck them out the window.  There were no clues to point to Ellie's husband, and he didn't act suspicious at all (as far as I can recall).  That's the major reason I wasn't overly impressed with the story on Broadchurch.  They basically just threw a bunch of highly suspicious people in the mix to distract us for eight episodes before revealing that the real killer was none of those weirdos. 

• Love 1

I was curious to see how different actors would handle the same material. Maybe it's my own bias, but it seems like they are mostly just copying the original performances. I'd rather see them make their own acting choices and see how that changes the tone of the story.

Hmm, I'm not seeing that. Although many of lines are the same, or scenes are analogous, they are delivered differently. Relationships seem different.

I was hoping Gracepoint would eliminate the character of a liaison officer since it was a waste of time.

I also hoped they would ditch the "we can't bury the body until we catch killer".  What happens when there's a cold case?  Is the body cold as well, placed in a freezer for decades on end?

• Love 1

It seems like there's a history between Paul and Beth on Gracepoint.

Yes, an interesting difference between this and the original.  Although it makes sense -- Beth confides in him about the pregnancy, when she hasn't told anyone else.  It would be more likely she would do that if she had good reason to think him trustworthy.

I was hoping Gracepoint would eliminate the character of a liaison officer since it was a waste of time.

I also hoped they would ditch the "we can't bury the body until we catch killer".  What happens when there's a cold case?  Is the body cold as well, placed in a freezer for decades on end?

I just said the same thing in tonight's episode thread.  It's a ridiculous plot point (that was equally ridiculous in Broadchurch).  It doesn't happen.  Bodies are not kept for months on end until a killer is found, the idea is absolutely laughable.

Yes, an interesting difference between this and the original.  Although it makes sense -- Beth confides in him about the pregnancy, when she hasn't told anyone else.  It would be more likely she would do that if she had good reason to think him trustworthy.

I thought Beth and Paul had a history in Broadchurch, too.  Maybe it wasn't implied as clearly, but I got the same impression when I watched Broadchurch.. 

I am still not warming to Anna Gunn.  She has no chemistry with David Tennant.  Olivia Coleman was so perfect in the role.  I'm not a fan of the actor who plays Danny's dad either.  And the kid playing Miller's son (friend of Danny) is weak, too.  I'm wondering more and more why this was remade.  Even in the episode discussions people are still comparing the two shows.  It doesn't seem like that many posters have never seen Broadchurch.

• Love 7

I thought Beth and Paul had a history in Broadchurch, too.  Maybe it wasn't implied as clearly, but I got the same impression when I watched Broadchurch.. 

I am still not warming to Anna Gunn.  She has no chemistry with David Tennant.  Olivia Coleman was so perfect in the role.  I'm not a fan of the actor who plays Danny's dad either.  And the kid playing Miller's son (friend of Danny) is weak, too.  I'm wondering more and more why this was remade.  Even in the episode discussions people are still comparing the two shows.  It doesn't seem like that many posters have never seen Broadchurch.

Didn't quite catch anything about a Beth/Paul history in Broadchurch, although I may have missed it. (I thought he was relatively new to the area.) She no doubt knows him, though, due to her mother's involvement with the church, and it being a small town.

I am also not crazy about Anna Gunn, although if I hadn't already seen Olivia Coleman in the role, I might feel differently.  

Of all the weird stuff they kept, I wonder why they dropped the fact that Danny was a paperboy?  Or did it not come up in Broadchurch by now?  Wasn't that his job and not the whatever-it-is with Nick Nolte?  

Even in the episode discussions people are still comparing the two shows.  It doesn't seem like that many posters have never seen Broadchurch.

To be fair posters on a TV forum aren't really representative of the audience - most people who watch Gracepoint have never heard of Broadchuch (since hardly anyone in America saw it) and the target audience is people who haven't seen Broadchurch.

• Love 2

The liaison officer was one of my favourite things about Broadchurch! I loved his utter uselessness and general befuddlement at the entire situation. He was the much-needed comic relief, I found, like it was a running gag about how this "highly trained and skilled" police liaison officer was blatantly underfoot the whole time, except when any situation arose in which it might have been nice to have a liaison officer around! He was so bad at his job that it was actually kind of endearing. I'll be amazed if the American version can create the same effect. There tends to be a lot less subtlety in American productions, and comedy is usually one of the worst offenders.

• Love 3

^ It's something that works well on the other side of the pond because absurdity played straight is a British staple and they've crafted it into an art form, but unfortunately it doesn't translate well to American anvil-dropping. 

Not thrilled with Anna Gunn either, she's weak in this role.  I know Carver is her boss but the character needs to kick him in the balls more often instead of bringing him coffee and burritos.

Also Danny's mother looks so young I sometimes mistake her for some teenage kid.  I know she started having children young but they should have cast someone who looks a little older.

I also hoped they would ditch the "we can't bury the body until we catch killer".  What happens when there's a cold case?  Is the body cold as well, placed in a freezer for decades on end?

I burst out laughing when they said that, it sounded so ridiculous.  Like going back to an all-you-can-eat buffet, just keep grazing clues off the body at various intervals over the next weeks or months or years instead of processing the body and releasing it for burial/cremation. 

I know that is has been mentioned that the ending of Gracepoint is going to be different that the ending of Broadchurch.  I'm unclear, however, if that means they may keep the murderer the same but change the circumstances.  If we keep the same murderer, I actually don't think that will go over that well with an American audience.  We like clues so we can feel smart and solve the crime before the murderer is revealed.  Unless they add something in to make Ellie's husband a suspect, there will be no indication of what is coming.  I can see people being frustrated that all of these creepy, shady people were introduced as suspects when none of them actually committed the crime. 

I think what hurts is that while she's a terrific actress, Anna Gunn lacks Olivia Coleman's humor and everywomanness I guess is the word.

I think the liaison officer worked in Broadchurch because of the perception (at least to me as an American) that the local bobby on a bicycle in a small town is not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed. I think Americans got over Barney Fife as being cute and funny a long time ago. However, how many police departments (in the U.S. or the U.K.) would have so many officers that they could have one stay full-time with the family?

I also thought Beth and Paul had history in Broadchurch, I think it just took longer for it to come out. But I could swear they had some angsty conversation in a graveyard or something.

I think the sister is cast better in this. At least in the sense she looks like she could be genetically related to everyone else.

I guess I don't miss Olivia Coleman that much because since Broadchurch I watched and loved Alison Tolman's 'every woman' cop on Fargo and feel like Gunn and Coleman both pale in comparison.  

No one answered my question about the paperboy job but I wonder if Danny's 'new' job is tied into the new ending and that's why the paperboy gig had to go.  

Though I have to admit my first thought was what several others thought-- to make Gunn's character have the same acting challenges, they'd just make the killer be her son in this version.  I thought he was more likely to kill Danny in Broadchurch, too.  The whole pedophile thing was just too creepy.

They better not make Nick Nolte be the pedophile/killer in this one.  

to make Gunn's character have the same acting challenges, they'd just make the killer be her son in this version.  I thought he was more likely to kill Danny in Broadchurch, too.

The kid is even smaller than the kid from Broadchurch. I have hard time imagining he is capable of killing Danny and then relocating his body to a different place all by himself. Maybe someone helped him along the way?

No one answered my question about the paperboy job but I wonder if Danny's 'new' job is tied into the new ending and that's why the paperboy gig had to go.  

I'm not sure, I'm wondering if they thought it didn't translate as well to the American audience. On Broadchurch, Danny's employer was the shop owner, not the newspaper, right? That's not how distribution is done here in the US, the publication distributes it's own paper.

Also, are there still a lot of youngins with paper routes these days? I work for a small town newspaper and we do our subscription distribution through the post office. We're in a rural area, though, so I'm not sure if this is the case everywhere. With the decline of newspapers in the US, many publications started cutting back on some expenses and subscriptions aren't really money-makers for most publications--that's the advertising. Subscriptions usually barely cover the cost of the mailing and/or delivery, so I could maybe see that they aren't spending money paying people to do daily paper routes anymore.

Plus, how old is Danny? In the US, I think you have to be 13- or 14-years-old to "legally" work and I was thinking Danny was 12, but I wasn't really paying attention to that detail. Of course the shop owner could've been paying Danny under the table, I guess.

However, I could have rolled with it and probably wouldn't have even batted an eye. But the wildlife studies works also, IMO. It could be the change does tie to the new killer though.

I feel like I basically have to avoid commenting at all in the episode threads.  I feel like if people know that I've seen Broadchurch, they might be able to make inferences based on my comments. 

I was OK with Ellie's husband being the killer in Broadchurch because Miller and Hardy had nice chemistry.  I was fine with getting the husband out of the way so that maybe sometime in the future, something can happen between the two.  Did anyone feel intrigued by a Miller/Hardy relationship, or is that just me?

I'm OK with Ellie's husband being the killer in Gracepoint, too, because I just don't like Ellie here.  I think that the acting is pretty bad, and Ellie mostly comes off as cold and angry in this version.  Ellie was hostile in Broadchurch as well, but relationship between her and Hardy was entertaining to watch.  While American Ellie isn't giving Tennant much to work with, I think the accent is affecting Tennant's performance as well.  It's like he's focusing so hard on getting the accent right that no emotion is coming through. 

The kid is even smaller than the kid from Broadchurch. I have hard time imagining he is capable of killing Danny and then relocating his body to a different place all by himself. Maybe someone helped him along the way?

This is what makes it hard or me to believe that Millers' son is going to be the killer.  That and the fact that most of us had already suspected him in Broadchurch.  I would be disappointed if that's the resolution in Gracepoint.    I honestly can't remember, though, what was the reason he deleted all the emails and files from Danny?

Um, kinda. If I remember right, the emails and texts contained "I hate you"s and bullying so he deleted them because he didn't want the police to suspect him of the murder. I can't remember which one was bullying the other though. My memory really sucks lately.

Tom was sending Danny nasty stuff because Danny had stopped spending time with him and Tom felt hurt by that and like Danny was no longer his best friend - unbeknownst to Tom, the reason Danny had stopped spending time with him was because he was spending time with Tom's father instead.

I watched Broadchurch when it was airing on BBCA last year, and I twigged fairly early on to Joe being the killer, although I had the motive wrong - I thought Joe was abusing Tom and that Danny had been planning to expose that, and so Joe killed Danny and Tom knew and was staying quiet to protect his dad (thus explaining Tom's shadiness). Joe being the killer just seemed really obvious to me, maybe because I look at these things more from a meta, storytelling perspective rather than concerning myself with specific clues (most of which turn out to be red herrings). The big theme of the show was how people don't know what really goes on with other people even in a small town where everyone knows each other, and Ellie was the character getting most frequently smacked in the face with surprise after surprise. And her husband was too perfect of a guy in a town where pretty much everyone else was shown to have secrets. Hence, it was him.

While I'm not entirely thrilled with Broadchurch being remade, there is one thing that the remake has a chance to rectify from, not the original, but the-original-as-aired-on-BBCA version. The reason Joe was made the killer was for the impact on Ellie; for some reason, BBCA chose to edit out most of the scenes spent exploring said impact, even though it's pretty much what won Olivia Colman all those awards. I saw those, but only because I rewatched all of Broadchurch on Amazon Prime, which had the original versions. I even did a post for TWoPers describing which scenes had been left out of the BBCA finale. But most people who saw Broadchurch never got to actually see those scenes. I don't think that would be an issue for the remake. (Even if it turns out to be a different killer - which isn't clear because "different ending" doesn't necessarily mean "different killer" - I would think it would then be Ellie's son. Themewise it doesn't make sense to have it be someone other than one of Ellie's loved ones.)

• Love 3

Black Knight, thank you for recapping why Tom deleted Danny's emails.  I did read your posts on TWOP about the missing scenes and that was much appreciated.  I also suspected Joe long before it became obvious because of the "How could you not know" theme they were establishing and Joe seemed like the most unlikely person.  The reason for the killing was very weak, though.  It would have made more sense if it was because of abuse somehow.  Either Tom or Joe could have been the killer.  They could have spun it either way.  I still think Tom is too small (in Gracepoint) to have killed Danny easily.  And he looks weak and a lot more scared.  I wonder if there is an abuse issue to be uncovered in this version.

Yeah, I've wondered if they purposely cast a small boy for Tom to make us think it's unlikely that it's him.

Changing the method of death does make a difference, though; I do think Tom could kill a boy like Danny if he were swinging something like a metal baseball bat.

But, if it's Tom, his father would have to be involved in the cover-up. Gracepoint already kept in the introductory lines about the house the murder took place in, so I expect it'll be there as it was in Broadchurch. And the cover-up involved taking the body out of the house and moving it by boat to a beach further down. No way Tom could have done all that on his own.

Hmm, I'm leaning again towards Gracepoint keeping Joe as the murderer. Having Ellie learn her son is a killer and her husband conspired to cover it up, meaning he's also going to prison, is too much to heap on her.

Not a fan of Nick Nolte's character.  His voice makes him really hard to understand and the little he's been shown, he hasn't made any kind of impression.  He portrayal certainly doesn't hold up to David Bradley's.

Yep, definitely something between Beth and the Priest it looks like.

I'm really disliking this version of Ellie -- more than dislike, actually.  Broadchurch's Ellie could be irritating, but I could see where she was coming from.  Gracepoint's Ellie is pretty close to being completely incompetent.  No wonder Carver got the job and not her.

This is no reflection on the acting skills of Anna Gunn, by the way.  I do hope the writers allow Ellie to grow some brains before too long.

I prefer Becca Fisher, Broadchurch's innkeeper to Gemma Fisher, Gracepoint's innkeeper.

Becca has more personality or charisma or something.

What seems odd, given that Gracepoint was remade for US TV is that the actor playing Gemma is English, and plays the character with an accent. The actress who played Becca is Australian, though I don't recall if Becca herself was supposed to be English, Australian or something else. Perhaps Gracepoint was trying to continue with the idea of a foreign born, small town innkeeper. If so, I don't know why.

In Broadchurch I complained that most of the characters were unlikeable but it didn't seem like they were incompetent fools.  In Gracepoint I think all of them except Carver deserve to have dunce caps staplegunned to their heads.  Ellie and Mark both deserve two. 

Emmett:  I hate the air, I hate the sea, I hate the people and their smiley frigging faces.

So do I, Emmett.  So do I.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

I was able to suspend disbelief when that was said in Broadchurch, mostly because I could just say, "Hell if I know how they do things in the UK." But with my Investigation Discovery addiction, it didn't quite work so well with Gracepoint.

I've been wondering with the change in how Danny died if they were aiming for Tom to be the killer and the skateboard being the murder weapon. Even a small boy like Tom could inadvertently kill Danny with a few well-aimed swings to the head when really angry. My theory was also that Tom killed Danny, called his father in a panic, and Joe came to cover it up. I'm sure the show is going to keep the killer within Ellie's family because they're really playing up how tight Ellie's ties to this town are, how much she trusts everyone, how much she helps everyone, how she's unable to extract herself and be objective when the time calls for it, etc. The reveal of the killer being her own family member and how the town will sever its ties with her, lose its trust in her, and only stand back and wonder how she didn't know will completely shatter her. Hell, she looks like she's ready to break at any moment now.

Edited by Automne

Owen's mother with the newspaper is Ellie's sister, right?  The sister is a lesbian in this one but not the BBC one, right?  That would be a "how could you not know"-- if your sister is the killer.  

Owen's mother with the newspaper is Ellie's sister, right?  The sister is a lesbian in this one but not the BBC one, right?  That would be a "how could you not know"-- if your sister is the killer.  

I'm not sure how it follows that lesbian = killer.

Has it been established that Owen's mother is the newspaper editor?  I didn't get that impression, but maybe I missed something.  

Ellie's sister and the newspaper editor are two different people in Broadchurch. We saw Ellie's sister only couple of times. She's a alcoholic or has some sort of mental illness and an alcoholic, and lives off Ellie's money.

Edited by CooperTV

Does Miller seem even more incompetent in this version? That interrogation scene was ridiculous. "He can't be the killer! Why are we doing this?!" I suppose it's too much to hope they will change things enough that Miller bites it. 

The shack was cleaned up so Dad probably is still involved. Maybe he comes out in time to see Tom running away from the body and decides to cover it up on his own. Still makes him an accessory after the fact. And a creepy pedophile.

I'm not sure how it follows that lesbian = killer.

Has it been established that Owen's mother is the newspaper editor?  I didn't get that impression, but maybe I missed something.  

I just meant why change the editor's sexual orientation if not to make her fit into the new ending somehow.  Like why change Danny's job, but keep the ludicrous rotting evidence line.  

I don't know where I got the thought the editor was Ellie's sister.  Isn't Owen Ellie's nephew or something?  Or was he calling the editor "aunt something" and I thought it was Ellie on the phone?  

Another poster thought the editor was Owen's mother too, but I don't remember it being established that the editor was Ellie's sister--have Ellie and the editor had any scenes together yet?  I did catch them establishing that Ellie is Owen's aunt, though. I thought the editor was just Owen's boss, but I totally could have missed something there.

As near as I can tell, the relationships are as follows:

Broadchurch: Ellie's nephew is named Olly Stevens, his mother, Ellie's sister, is Lucy Stevens.  Lucy is always trying to get money out of Ellie, even to the point of withholding evidence. (In the novelization, Lucy is a compulsive gambler; I don't recall offhand if that was established in the broadcast version.)  The newspaper editor, Olly's boss, has no family relationship to them.  She is identified as a lesbian, but that's not really significant to the plot.

Gracepoint:  Ellie's nephew is named Owen Burke; as in the original story, he is a reporter for the local paper.  The editor's name in this version is Kathy Eaton, also established as a lesbian.  As far as I can tell, they do not have a family relationship.  Eaton does take a rather motherly attitude towards him.  Ellie's sister has not made an appearance in Gracepoint, as far as I can recall.  

First thing that jumped out at me was that I felt that the American Ellie was too good looking.  No offense to the British actress but she looks more like a regular person who might be a cop in a small town.  She did not seem like she spent much time on a treadmill.  I looked at the American production's actress and said she looks like an actress.  Granted she's not Angelina Jolie pretty but still looks like a professional actress.  I thougt that was unfortunate.  Tenant I think is coming across more grumpy than in the Brit version but so far I am OK with that.  He's an outsider and a professional. He obviously doesn't care about being liked just about getting the job done.  So he does not have patience with his second in command (by appearances) gabbing to her nephew the reporter.  I'm surprised he didn't threaten to fire her.  Although I agree that in such a small place the news was going to get out sooner than later anyway but he's used to big cities where no one knows anyone so you COULD keep the identity of a found body anonymous longer.  I honestly couldn't tell you the names of my neighbors.   I certainly wouldn't identify somebody who lived on the other side of town if they were found in the park.   

I wonder if they will have Nick Nolte having married the girl he statutorily raped when she was 15.  I thought the Brit production did a good job of showing the character was not a bad guy at all and made it tragic that he killed himself because of people's suspicions but I think it is harder to buy that character in the States for some reason.  Like somehow it being set in the "old country" made it seem less creepy and more historical (people marrying teen brides going back so many generations),  I know it doesn't make sense but I suspect that is how I'll feel about it if it comes up here.  Any body have thoughts on that?

Well, the Nick Nolte character could have had a relationship with a 17 year old, which is still technically statutory rape, but doesn't sound as bad as being with a 15 year old.  David Bradley was so good in that part, though, I can't really see Nick Nolte doing the part the same way.  But I thought Nick Nolte was very effective when he was telling the reporter to get lost.  I'm interested to see if this part will be different in Gracepoint.   

Well, the Nick Nolte character could have had a relationship with a 17 year old, which is still technically statutory rape, but doesn't sound as bad as being with a 15 year old.

I'm very curious to see if Gracepoint will diverge from Broadchurch on this point. I feel like Fox would deem this particular storyline too heavy for American network TV. I'd like to be surprised.

It's harder for me to separate Nick Nolte from the the role than David Bradley, so I find it harder to see Nick Nolte as being avuncular or grandfatherly, which makes it creepier for Nolte to have a relationship with one of his students.  It's also a little weird for me that Nolte played a social studies teacher in Teachers, and one of his students was impregnated by the PE teacher (so Nolte really should know better).

If Nolte's character isn't a sex offender of some sort, that would a large change to the story.  That was the whole impetus for the news stories that a sex predator was in the town's midst, that the police weren't doing their job, etc, the riot at store and the character's subsequent suicide.

I have never even heard of Broadchurch but I read about Gracepoint in the fall TV preview issue of People and thought, "ok, I will give this a shot." After 3 episodes in, I had to punt. Mainly because it just moves SO incredibly slow it drives me crazy. I also can't stand the character of Ellie, I don't know if it's the actress, although judging from the posts in this thread it is. I'm also not a fan of the gray color that seems to permeate everyone and everything. So, like a book that drags so bad you can't stand it, I went to the back of the book so to speak and read this thread for the ending.

So, like a book that drags so bad you can't stand it, I went to the back of the book so to speak and read this thread for the ending.

Except it's been promised that the ending of Gracepoint will not be the same as Broadchurch so apart from some well-informed speculation, you sadly won't find out whodunit in this thread. We're all on the same page you are.

Edited by dbrits
  • Love 1

So far Broadchurch's Susan Wright seems far more menacing than Gracepoint's Susan Wright.  For the moment I saw her in Broadchurch,  I said to myself that I wouldn't want to fuck with her, and for just about the entire series, she never did anything to alter that opinion, only reinforce it.  Whereas Gracepoint's Susan Wright more fragile on the outside.  That being said, so far I'm enjoying Gracepoint's Susan as much as Broadchurch's Susan.

• Love 1

Thanks for clearing up my Owen/Ellie/mother/editor confusion, all!

All the characters seem less likable overall.  Though I like this Dean more, and I agree this Susan is less scary.  Ellie, Emmett, Mark, Beth, Gemma, the priest -- all seem annoying and dislikable.  Less subtle than their Brit counterparts, I guess.  

I loved the dinner scene with Joe and Alec in Broadchurch so that should be fun again.  

Anna Gunn is shockingly thin.  She would've seemed much less actress-y and more like Ellie if she was in her S2 Breaking Bad body, not that I would wish her to relive whatever tragedies caused her to gain that weight, of course.  Ellie just seems more like a size 12 than a 4.  

Has the story diverged on other plot points or is still pretty much scene for scene?