Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Redux

The citizens of Chester's Mill try to move on with their lives after their mysterious experience in the tunnels beneath town. Meanwhile, Big Jim suspects new residents Christine and Eva are harboring secrets about the Dome.
The citizens of Chester's Mill try to move on with their lives after their mysterious experience in the tunnels beneath town.

I don't see how are they going to just move on with their lives.  The peak of the Dome should be about 30 feet off the ground -- based on the fact it was crushing trees in the forest near the tunnel entrance, or did it just return to normal.  They were running out of food supplies at the end of Season 2, limited fuel supplies for vehicles (not that they really have anywhere to go), and they have to be running out of propane for the generators and cooking by now (its been 3 weeks into this crisis since the Dome came down).   No one has been making regular runs out to Ollie's well to get water (remember the shootout at the OK corral over control of Ollie's working well), and what crops that weren't destroyed by the caterpillars were probably ruined by the acid rain or the freezing cold (yes, all that happened last season in the course of 1 week of showtime).  So how are they going to continue living ? Especially with a murderous Drownsie after them all.

• Love 3

I don't see how are they going to just move on with their lives.

They're brain dead people who aren't affected by any disaster in any way.  You would think there would be something after coming out of the pod and experiencing the AU, but no, not these people.

They were running out of food supplies at the end of Season 2, limited fuel supplies for vehicles (not that they really have anywhere to go), and they have to be running out of propane for the generators and cooking by now (its been 3 weeks into this crisis since the Dome came down).

Any other contrivances since they killed off that lady who's husband conveniently hoarded all that food in that episode last season?

No one has been making regular runs out to Ollie's well to get water (remember the shootout at the OK corral over control of Ollie's working well), and what crops that weren't destroyed by the caterpillars were probably ruined by the acid rain or the freezing cold (yes, all that happened last season in the course of 1 week of showtime).  So how are they going to continue living ? Especially with a murderous Drownsie after them all.

Will the writers or the characters remember any of that?

• Love 4
(edited)

Wow -- I didn't think it was possible for this show to get worse after the S3 premiere, but it happened.  Starting off with a full two minutes of previouslies.  I like how the producers are acting like everything that happened in the Drownsie VR was real.

After everyone gets out of the tunnels, Barbie dramatically touches the Dome to make sure it's still there.  Of course it is, but as the camera pulls back it shows that the retracting Dome produced a ditch about 30-40 feet wide outside of the Dome.  How come that ditch wasn't present when Drownsie was writing her note to Daddy on the Dome ?  And after all the nonsense of the S2 finale it looks like the Dome contracted minimally, and certainly wouldn't have caused all the destruction.

Julia and Barbie discuss their relationship throughout the entire episode -- Barbie doesn't want to talk about what happened in the Drownsie VR, and Julia is kind of jealous of his feeling towards Eva.

Speaking of Eva, Christine and Eva were anthropologists sent by Acteon (Don Barbara's company) to find the egg.  Why would they send anthropologists ?  Turns out they found the egg relatively easily.  It was buried only a couple of inches under the soil.  And when they found it they filmed it on a GoPro that they then buried in the forest.  When Christine held the egg, the purple stars falling showed on the egg and it "downloaded" to Christine just like it did to Melanie 25 years ago (only Melanie died from the shock of the download).  And something weird happened to Christine's arm during the download -- made it look kind of alien-like.  Here's the thing -- if the last thing that Eva remembers before emerging from the cocoon was finding the egg, when did she have time to bury the GoPro ?  Let alone, how does she remember where it was buried if she doesn't remember burying it ?

And someone randomly leaves a piece of the shattered egg on the windowsill of Eva/Christine's motel room.  Probably courtesy of Drownsie.

Big Jim steals the GoPro from Eva/Christine's motel room after Big Jim watched Eva dig it up from the woods.  A motel room that curiously still had power for Eva's laptop (it could have been the battery, but still).  If these two had been missing for 3 weeks since the Dome came down, why didn't someone squat in their motel room ?

Hunter confirms that the pods cured his eyesight and he no longer needs glasses, so maybe it did fix Junior's gunshot wound to his shoulder.

Junior is all angsty and suicidal because he wants his Drownsie VR life back.  Tries to shoot himself in the head, but is stopped by Sam.  Gets some sage advice from "therapist" Christine Price and proceeds to finish what he started in the Drownsie VR and burn down his house.  Which he does and the smoke and flames of the house burning are some of the fakiest CGI ever !!

Big Jim still shows no consequences of being shot in the shoulder or stabbed in the foot.  None at all.  But he does watch the GoPro footage and knows that Christine is no therapist and is connected to the egg.

Joe is all butthurt that Nori likes Hunter better.  Yawn. Come on, Hunter/Nori did almost bang in the Drownsie VR, while Joe hasn't even made it to 2nd base.

Drownsie's job was to lead the people of Chesters Mills into the tunnels so they could be cocooned and infused with "the LifeForce".  WTF ?

Apparently there was a sale on camping equipment because everyone seems to be camped out near Town Hall.  Except that the Dome didn't really crush many homes, so why don't these people just go home ?

Christine pretends to be a therapist and sets up shop in Town Hall -- but seems to spend all her time keeping people waiting in the waiting room, so Sam sets up a support group based on all he learned in prison.

Joe gets assigned the task of setting up traps to catch animals for food -- any animals (like Big Jim's dog) that survived both the freezing cold temperatures and acid rain.  How many of those can be left ?

On a completely superficial note, Eva looks awesome in whatever tight clothing she opts to wear.  Just saying.

Nori is the new Katniss.  And kills a pig for dinner.

After Julia is assaulted by Drownsie near the tunnel entrance and nearly chokes Julia to death, Christine Price stabs Drownsie in the back with a knife and kills her.  Smell ya later, Drownsie.  Christine Price lies to Julia and Barbie that she was just out "looking for food" and then just wanders off after killing Drownsie.

Barbie finds poor dead Ben in the tunnels.  And Hunter/Nori find poor dead Andrea in her house.  Barbie buries Drownsie and Daddy Don near the lake where Don was killed by Drownsie.

Big Jim (and the dog) packs up a boat and heads to the island where Agatha Seagrave was living (how many other islands are there in that lake ?), so why didn't he just move into Agatha's house ?  Instead he's camping in the woods on the island.  WTF ?

Christine Price holds the piece of broken egg against the blade of the knife she used to kill Drownsie -- and by doing that triggered a response mechanism in all the townsfolk that were in the cocoons to look up and stare at the moon.  According to Christine, "the lifeforce has taken root" and now they are under her control, kind of.  What the hell does any of that have to do with the moon ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5
(edited)

Alright, I'm calling it right now - Marg Helgenberger is really Queen Beryl and The Egg is the Negaforce/The Malefic Dark Crystal.  Marg Beryl trapped everyone under the dome because she needs new soldiers to fight Sailor Moon and the Moon Kingdom and, goddamn it, those jewelry store ice cream shop beauty salons don't run themselves.  If anyone could draw or write what sort of Sailor Moon monster the cast could turn into, depending on their characters, let's hear it.

Also, this show is a continuation of The Tommyknockers mini-series.  On that note: https://youtu.be/n34Ur4oPpy0?t=14s

Also, fare-thee-well, Drownsy.  Maybe your actress can show up on Arrow or The Flash as Raven or Phantom Girl.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

And also, possibly the only one who knows what the hell is going on.

The writers don't either.

Wow -- I didn't think it was possible for this show to get worse after the S3 premiere, but it happened.  Starting off with a full two minutes of previouslies.  I like how the producers are acting like everything that happened in the Drownsie VR was real.

Talk about obnoxious padding, more so than the previous season.

Junior is all angsty and suicidal because he wants his Drownsie VR life back.  Tries to shoot himself in the head, but is stopped by Sam.

His character just keeps getting more and more pathetic as if being the town dupe last season wasn't bad enough.

Joe is all butthurt that Nori like Hunter better.  Yawn. Come on, Hunter/Nori did almost bang in the Drownsie VR, while Joe hasn't even made it to 2nd base.

Yawn, a stupid love triangle.  You know these kids were supposed to be important "domites" and now they're reduced to this, same with Julia supposedly being chosen as a leader.

Barbie finds poor dead Ben in the tunnels.  And Hunter/Nori find poor dead Andrea in her house.  Barbie buries Drownsie and Daddy Don near the lake where Don was killed by Drownsie.

Just more dead bodies to forget about later on.

• Love 2

Dean Norris hiding (successfully!) behind a skinny tree.

I will always love Dean Norris, but that dog is now the best actor on this show. And also, possibly the only one who knows what the hell is going on.

Yeah, I've got to go with the dog now because it looks like Julia's hair is giving up.

• Love 9
(edited)

Yeah, I've got to go with the dog now because it looks like Julia's hair is giving up.

Even the hair stylists have given up, how sad.

Between the show's laughable attempt at trying to make Melanie's one note blank expression threatening or Christine suddenly acting like a cult leader with evil moon plans or even the characters barely having much to do since Junior is being a crazy emo, the other kids are in a terrible love triangle or who know what Barbie or Julia or even Big Jim are supposed to do anymore, this season is already sinking even faster than last season's trainwreck and that was already a low bar that it sank to a year ago.

Edited by Free
  • Love 3

I watched that scene with Marg Helengberger and Melanie talking about the purpose of the dome three times and didn't understand any of it.  I couldn't stand to watch it another time. I don't even have words for how dumb this show is.  

The scene at the end reminded me of V, where the head alien would talk from the sky and all the people on earth stood staring at her in some kind of trance.

• Love 4
(edited)

I watched that scene with Marg Helengberger and Melanie talking about the purpose of the dome three times and didn't understand any of it.  I couldn't stand to watch it another time. I don't even have words for how dumb this show is.  

The scene at the end reminded me of V, where the head alien would talk from the sky and all the people on earth stood staring at her in some kind of trance.

They don't even seem to know what they're talking about, it's just spouting off some ridiculous gibberish the writers crapped out.  The main characters don't even have anything important to do anymore, before they did ridiculous tasks for the dome/egg and they were trying to actually investigate the dome/try to get out, now?  Nothing.  Just blindly follow some crazy, evil woman you don't even know.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2
Did anyone bother to put that fire out?

Probably not -- remember in the very first episode of S1, all the fire trucks were out of town on the day the Dome came down and are trapped outside the Dome.

So, burn, baby, burn !!

• Love 3

Probably not -- remember in the very first episode of S1, all the fire trucks were out of town on the day the Dome came down and are trapped outside the Dome.

So, burn, baby, burn !!

The writers don't.

In S1 a fire was portrayed as a big deal as it took the entire town to put it out, but in S2 and 3, it's no big deal when Rebecca tried to use fire or in this episode with Junior being a crazy emo.

• Love 1

I can't believe I'm about to say this but I actually miss crazypants Sherry Stringfield and her "paintings" and that weird portal where one enters the root cellar and comes up in the lake. That was inspired genius compared to the steaming pile of "lifeforce" they're offering this year. Heck, I even miss Rebecca  and her crazy science. More dog please!

Also, can I just reiterate that I really, really hate the Junior redemption. It was only 3 weeks ago(!) that he kidnapped Angie and held her hostage in the fallout shelter. Now he's boo-hooing to Big Jim about being locked up in the fallout shelter as a kid. Am I supposed to feel sorry for him? Really? I want to punch his face. Hard.

• Love 9

Another classic...more silly

Jim barely covered and making noise only 30 feet from Eva in the woods and she can't see him.

Some of the redshirt characters wanting to go back into the VR world and don't seem to have any curiosity who put them there or why?

Joe catching a pig just like that and then let's it go and Nori turns into Robin Hood.  What?

How many times have different characters aligned with an each other and then turned on each other?  Junior and his dad have my head spinning.

I just don't know what to think about this show. I don't get how the people of Chesters Mill are gonna get outta this one. Julia & Jim will have to save them & I have no idea how. Julia's gonna be sad over Barbie (I don't like that- I loved them together) & Big Jim's just a big dick. I never did like Nori- I always thought she treated Joe like crap. I feel bad for him. Everyone but Joe had these positive experiences in their "Matrix". Sam even did & he was in prison! He got left behind. I can only hope he's able to fight whatever is coming because of that. This show is weird and only getting more weird and confusing.... But I want to see what happens. So I'll keep watching.... For now.

Oh Under the Dumb, I was rather interested in you first season, found you getting a bit dumber second season and well, the third season...

Sam "Junior why do you want to kill yourself?"

Gee I don't know. Maybe because you murdered the great love of my life, the girl I went psycho over and stalked and kidnapped and pleaded to be with me. You know, Angie, the girl I seem to have forgotten even though it's only supposed to be three weeks since we've under this thing. But what the heck, sure be my therapist. Let's focus on my daddy issues.

I keep waiting for the dead to come back to life.  They sure have murdered a lot of people in the THREE weeks they've been under the dome. If they keep this up there will be no one left alive. Maybe it can become like the Walking Dead.

• Love 6

I don't think I can even hate watch this show any more.

Julia cares more about finding out from Barbie their relationship status than figuring out what the hell Melanie is doing. '

It's nice to know that the town will follow anyone who talks . *sigh*

• Love 5

The people of Chesters Mills really should take a look at that Prius. Because I'm pretty sure Toyota managed to sneak a new model in there.

Any time Marge Helgenberger's character gets into a conversation with someone, it looks like she is hitting on them cougar style. Very creepy.

• Love 6

I can't believe I'm about to say this but I actually miss crazypants Sherry Stringfield and her "paintings" and that weird portal where one enters the root cellar and comes up in the lake. That was inspired genius compared to the steaming pile of "lifeforce" they're offering this year. Heck, I even miss Rebecca  and her crazy science. More dog please!

Also, can I just reiterate that I really, really hate the Junior redemption. It was only 3 weeks ago(!) that he kidnapped Angie and held her hostage in the fallout shelter. Now he's boo-hooing to Big Jim about being locked up in the fallout shelter as a kid. Am I supposed to feel sorry for him? Really? I want to punch his face. Hard.

Agreed, and they keep making it worse each season.

As for Junior, this is probably 1 of the worst attempt at redemption I've seen.  They've made him emo, they've made him completely pathetic.

• Love 1
I keep waiting for the dead to come back to life.  They sure have murdered a lot of people in the THREE weeks they've been under the dome. If they keep this up there will be no one left alive. Maybe it can become like the Walking Dead.

While we saw Barbie burying Drownsie and Don Barbara, I wonder if anyone remembered to bury Rebecca.  Because her body should still be back at the high school.  Plus Lyle's body is out in the woods. And I hope someone buries Andrea. I forgot that Jim set fire to Pauline's studio behind the Rennie homestead and cremated Pauline.  How come that fire wasn't still smoldering less than a day before Junior set fire to the entire house ?  Because no one put that fire out either.

Gee I don't know. Maybe because you murdered the great love of my life, the girl I went psycho over and stalked and kidnapped and pleaded to be with me. You know, Angie, the girl I seem to have forgotten even though it's only supposed to be three weeks since we've under this thing. But what the heck, sure be my therapist. Let's focus on my daddy issues.

Plus he had a thing with Drownsie and now she's dead too.  Doesn't pay to be a love interest of Junior.

Apparently the Dome fixed Joe's hand as well -- in the S2 finale his left hand was all bandaged up from when his hand froze to the dome before it started to lower/contract.  And it fixed Hunter's frostbit hand that was bandaged up as well.

• Love 2

So they're still sticking with the whole conceit of everything happening over the last three weeks. How do we explain Joe's growth spurt that was brought up last week? There really wasn't a reason to mention that in any case. Like that would be the most whacked out crazy thing to happen in is show.

So now we're supposed to believe that the two anthropologists are responsible for all of this? Would it be a sign of insanity for me to question why they or their "mission" we're never mentioned before, even by Papa Barbie?

I love the way Barbie said they're trying to save "their" little town. Dude, you've only been around for three weeks, and showed up right after killing Julia's husband. I guess that qualifies him for Citizen of the Year.

When Junior was pointing the gun at his head, I was hoping he would point it at me instead.

Big Jim's dog is the breakout star if this season, and Marg H wins the Dean Norris Award for Most Depressing Career Turn.

• Love 10

So now we're supposed to believe that the two anthropologists are responsible for all of this? Would it be a sign of insanity for me to question why they or their "mission" we're never mentioned before, even by Papa Barbie?

Yes, they don't care, they pointlessly killed him off and dropped the previous plot points.

I don't think I can even hate watch this show any more.

I'm getting to that point, too. The show was awful but it's been fun seeing what new thing there will be to ridicule each week. Now it's getting so far beyond awful into a whole new realm of...something. It's getting to the point where it's not really fun to make fun of anymore.
  • Love 2

So Barbie admits to Julia he fell in love with Ava. I would like to give the writers respect in their restraint in not having Barbie and  Ava married with a newborn in the alternate reality. After all people in the dome fall deeply in love after knowing each other for 3 days. 

I have no idea what is going on with this show and its clear the writers don't either. Its obvious to me they should have ended the show at season 1 as a mini series. I honestly don't  think CBS intended to end that show at season 1 unless the ratings were truly terrible.  They have written themselves into a hole and they have no idea how to get out of it.

• Love 4

They don't even seem to know what they're talking about, it's just spouting off some ridiculous gibberish the writers crapped out.  The main characters don't even have anything important to do anymore, before they did ridiculous tasks for the dome/egg and they were trying to actually investigate the dome/try to get out, now?  Nothing.  Just blindly follow some crazy, evil woman you don't even know.

I've heard how in earlier drafts of scripts, writers might put in something like "Technical science talk here" or "Doctor explains how microbes could transmit the disease" and then later they put actual dialogue, etc. in place of it. This show, it's like they left half of the "to be inserted later" script intact.

• Love 6

I couldn't even make it past the overlong "previously" monologue from Barbie, without laughing.  Just the way Mike Vogel delivered the line about ending up in the alternative universe.  He just sounded so damn casual about it: like it's an everyday occurrence.  I, for one, hate it when I take a wrong turn on the road and wind up in an alternative universe.

For the actual episode itself though, the first laugh came from Junior bringing up how Big Jim locked him in the bomb shelter, as part of his sins.  Yes, why did Jim do that?  Oh, right: because he found out that Junior locked poor Angie in that damn shelter.  This stupid show really wants me to forget about all that, huh?

So, judging from this episode, the big takeaway so far is that all the people who were cocooned still have memories of their time in stasis, so it's messing with their minds.  Oh, and creating love triangles consisting of couples I don't give a shit about.  First, we got Barbie wanting to love Julia again, but he's still got a thing for Ava.  Hey, I'm just glad there wasn't a magical baby.  Second and even worse, we got a dumbass triangle with Joe, Norrie, and Hunter.  Seriously, fuck that.

Meanwhile, apparently Ava and Marg Helgenberger (I know she has a name, but like hell if I"m going to try and remember it) were archaeologists of some kind.  They found the egg and that's how they got cocooned, but now Marg might actually be part of the Dome or something?  I got nothing.  None of this makes any sense.

You know,  I take back some of the shit I have given Rachel Leferve in the past (granted, a lot of it wasn't her fault.)  Because the way she sold for Melanie was amazing.  The idea that wee Melanie could overpower Julia, who is no Ronda Rousey but still could probably benchpress Melaine, was just so laughable, and poor Rachel was giving it her all to make it look believable.  Nice attempt. Either way, Melanie is now dead, thanks to Marg Helgenberger, who I guess did it so she wouldn't be interrogated and also look good in Julia/Barbie's eyes.

Big Jim creeping on Ava in the woods was hilarious.  Caution!  A wild Dean Norris is on the loose!  He's now just hightailing it across the lake, after Junior burned down the house.  At least he's got the dog.  I really hope next time we see him, he's got a full-grown beard and shaggy hair, even thought probably only a day would have passed in the show's time.

Marg Helgenberger can also apparently summon all the cocooned folks, like drones or something.  Sure, of course she can!

I really wish next year, CBS just gives up and combines all of it's cheesy, bad shows into one awesomely, bad one.  I want Chester's Mill and the Dome to have to deal with the "defiant pupil" animals from Zoo, Halle Berry and her alien baby from Extant, and all of the crazy folks from CSI: Cyber.  Just do it, CBS!

• Love 9

For the actual episode itself though, the first laugh came from Junior bringing up how Big Jim locked him in the bomb shelter, as part of his sins.  Yes, why did Jim do that?  Oh, right: because he found out that Junior locked poor Angie in that damn shelter.  This stupid show really wants me to forget about all that, huh?

I'm beyond sick and tired of his emo whining.  Yeah, they're trying to whitewash/retcon it and it's still horrible, they just made him whiny and pathetic.

Maybe the dog is carrying the "life force" of either Sherry Stringfield's character or Rebecca (or both, what the hell!). Then there could be a life-force duel.

Maybe we're just all overthinking it by assuming that there is actual scriptwriting going on. Maybe it's all just a sort of MadLibs exercise where the actors get together around a large bowl with actions written on slips of paper, and they take one or more (blindfolded probably, and also probably after large quantities of spiked punch -- they had to empty the bowl, right?) and then take turns performing the suggested action.

• Love 2

Dean Norris hiding (successfully!) behind a skinny tree.

This really is the most minor of sins compared to everything else wrong with this show, but it really was outrageous that they wanted us to believe Eva couldn't see a chubby guy standing awkwardly amongst some very narrow, widely spaced trees a few feet away.  They couldn't find another area with some thicker, wider trees to film that scene?  I understand that the story line is mutated beyond repair because there doesn't seem to be anyone with an overall plan at the helm, but they couldn't even get better trees for that scene?

Agreed, and they keep making it worse each season.

As for Junior, this is probably 1 of the worst attempt at redemption I've seen.  They've made him emo, they've made him completely pathetic.

If this is an attempt at redemption, I'd hate to see what Junior would be like if they were trying to make him unredeemable.  I don't get it.  The only way to redeem him is to kill him off.  Why they have such determination to keep the character on the show, I'll never understand.

I guess it's somewhat interesting that the only two unaffected characters, Julia and Big Jim, can't stand each other, don't trust each other, etc. and will have a hard time working together but probably do need each other if they are going to make it against a town full of body snatched automatons.  But really that shouldn't have been what this show was about and it's stupid that it got to this point IMO.

• Love 3

If this is an attempt at redemption, I'd hate to see what Junior would be like if they were trying to make him unredeemable.  I don't get it.  The only way to redeem him is to kill him off.  Why they have such determination to keep the character on the show, I'll never understand.

His character has nothing important to do at all.  He was the 4th Hand, then they threw that out.  He was being creepy at the beginning, then they completely dropped that and Angie died, and then tried to do something with Melanie as her replacement only now she's supposed to be a villain now.  So it's all gone.

So what's left?  He got duped by everyone last season and now he's just a whiny emo.

I guess it's somewhat interesting that the only two unaffected characters, Julia and Big Jim, can't stand each other, don't trust each other, etc. and will have a hard time working together but probably do need each other if they are going to make it against a town full of body snatched automatons.  But really that shouldn't have been what this show was about and it's stupid that it got to this point IMO.

On another show, this could've been an interesting character interactions/development.

Here, it's just the 2 people who aren't blindly believing Christine or whatever Marg Helgenberger is supposed to be.

• Love 2

When Junior was pointing the gun at his head, I was hoping he would point it at me instead.

Ha! Me too! Can't we just get the dome to create a Sharknado and wipe out everyone in horrible bloody ways?

• Love 5

Ha! Me too! Can't we just get the dome to create a Sharknado and wipe out everyone in horrible bloody ways?

Pureed dumbasses!  Oh, but I don't want cutey Mike Vogel to get eviscerated.

• Love 1

This fucking show! It's like the writers are all new. Someone who hates the show and never paid much attention just described it to them and they were like, "Got it!" That's the only way I can explain the fact that so many dumb things have happened in such a short period of time. They must get new writers for each season.

I hate Barbie and Julia. They are the worst. I don't buy their dumb ass love story. Julia should still be grieving her husband! I get that he was a dick, but still, Barbie shot him three weeks ago and buried him in the woods. I know damn well she better not say anything to Barbie about moving on with Eva, given how quickly she rebounded. Barbie should love Eva more. Given the fact that Barbie and Julia have basically just been banging for 2 weeks, his feelings for Eva should be pretty strong.

I'm actually interested, despite myself, in the affect this alternate universe is going to have on people. I want to feel for Joe, but I also think that Norri doesn't owe him anything. They've only known each other three very traumatic weeks. They aren't going to be together forever. And Hunter is cute.

And  I get that Angie was important to some of the characters, but she's been gone from the show for quite some time and I'm tired of hearing about her.

• Love 4

This fucking show! It's like the writers are all new. Someone who hates the show and never paid much attention just described it to them and they were like, "Got it!" That's the only way I can explain the fact that so many dumb things have happened in such a short period of time. They must get new writers for each season.

I think many of the writers have left.

• Love 1

There have been a lot of problems with this show from the beginning. I don't know if anyone here has read the book but I think since they had that it to go by, Season 1 & a lot of Season 2 weren't that bad as far as the plot & direction. In Season 2, I think they ran out of ideas from the book, and that's when it started to take a pretty sharp turn into weirdville.

They had to wait till after Season 2 to find out if there would be a Season 3. (They probably had an idea of where they'd go, but I doubt they'd spend too much time on a show that may not even be on anymore.) Maybe they hurried things along to get it done. That's the only explanation I can think of why it got so bad.

OR maybe the writers were replaced by alien beings.

• Love 2

I'm just wondering why we keep referring to her as "poor" Angie as if she's not actually better off.

Or why he's suddenly supposed to care after not even knowing she was gone at the start of the series.

There have been a lot of problems with this show from the beginning. I don't know if anyone here has read the book but I think since they had that it to go by, Season 1 & a lot of Season 2 weren't that bad as far as the plot & direction. In Season 2, I think they ran out of ideas from the book, and that's when it started to take a pretty sharp turn into weirdville.

They had to wait till after Season 2 to find out if there would be a Season 3. (They probably had an idea of where they'd go, but I doubt they'd spend too much time on a show that may not even be on anymore.) Maybe they hurried things along to get it done. That's the only explanation I can think of why it got so bad.

OR maybe the writers were replaced by alien beings.

They've seemed to have thrown out the book fairly early on.  As for the show, that's what happens when you rely on making stuff up, they were already struggling in the previous seasons and this season so far is the worst in that regard.  I'm not sure what there is to hurry along, there's clearly no plan or anything in this show.

• Love 1
(edited)

As they climbed out of the tunnel, I realized that the slime the cocoons were filled with was some sort of hair gel - Nori now has luscious curls, Junior now has, um, curls...

In the past, I'd watch the show, notice a few 6-7 things that were ridiculous enough to comment on in the forum, then come on here and see what ridiculous things everyone else noticed.  Now, there is so much ridiculousness that I can't keep track of it all.  My head is spinning.  

I think the writers/producers got to the end of Season 2 and had this conversation:

Writer A: The dome is shrinking and everyone is on their way out of the dome.  I thought this was going to be the series finale, but now you tell me the network says they want one more season.  I can't believe anyone is watching this dreck.  I purposely wrote it to be so stupid that the show would get cancelled and I could get out of my contract and go work on The Walking Dead.

Producer B: The ratings aren't bad, all things considered.  The weird part is that all of the viewers are members of Previously.TV.  They must be getting something out of it.  

A: Well, getting renewed puts me in a bad place - How can it be Under the Dome, when they are now on their way to out of the dome.  Can we at least change the title? Then I can spend season 3 having them figure out why there was a dome in the first place.  

B: No name changes or DVRs won't automatically record it.  Maybe they didn't get out of the dome, maybe they just got trapped inside.  But you have another problem you didn't think of - Marg Helgenberger wants to join the show.  You need to add in a new main character.

A: (Thinks for a few minutes) I got it - they never got out of the dome because they were trapped in a bunch of pods, where they dreamt of alternate realities. And Marg is the evil mastermind - or anthropologist or therapist or something - that put them there or controls them or something like that.  I can work out those details as I go.  

B: Great!  But make it cocoons, instead of pods - The whole butterfly thing you know.  

A: Oh yeah, butterflies.  I am so sick of butterflies.  I am going to make the butterflies evil and attack everyone.  There will be so many butterflies swarming around that the CGI people will tell me to stop with the butterflies and I can kill them off.  

B: Lifecycles - got to love 'em

A: Life what?  I didn't hear you

B: Lifecycles.  The whole birth - death thing.  Butterflies don't live that long.

A: Oh, I thought you said "Lifeforce" and that makes no sense - hey Lifeforce!  That give me an idea.   

B: Maybe you can use this cocoon thing to solve a few other issues?

A: What issues?

B: Well, we think more teen girls will tune in if Junior wasn't such a loser.  He's the best looking young guy on the show.  

A: Sure, his pod - I mean cocoon - dream could show him how to be more assertive and whatever else teen girls like in a boy.

B: I think they like emotion and angst.

A: No problem, I will ramp up the daddy issues.  What else do you want fixed?

B: Well, the two love affairs are getting kind of boring - three weeks in and they act like old married couples already.

A: Alright ... Barbie and the boy will find new loves in their dreams and the women will get jealous.  

B: Fine, but can you make it be Nori that finds new love? She says she's tired of playing the obnoxious teen and wants better hair.  

A: Okay, Nori gets a new 'do, a new 'tude, and a new dude.  And I can use this cocoon thing to fix whatever ails everyone else.  All the injuries magically cured.

B: Good idea - I was wondering how Big Jim was going to wreak havoc after getting stabbed in the foot and shot in the shoulder.  And Julia can stop wearing that stupid tourniquet.

A: Oh ... I wasn't going to have Big Jim or Julie be cocooned.  Gotta leave someone out so they can realize something is going on and they didn't go into the tunnel with everyone else sot hey are my only choices.

B: Well, can you fix their injuries anyway?

A: Sure.  No one will notice.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 14

I admittedly missed a few episodes last year, and parts of this season as well.......and I was thinking " damn, this show is a mess. It's like they just try to make up new crap each week...." After reading many of your comments, I guess, sadly that that is the case.

• Love 1

I'm just wondering why we keep referring to her as "poor" Angie as if she's not actually better off.

Because her George Clooney movie didn't do that well?

• Love 4

I admittedly missed a few episodes last year, and parts of this season as well.......and I was thinking " damn, this show is a mess. It's like they just try to make up new crap each week...." After reading many of your comments, I guess, sadly that that is the case.

It really is, even the people who've been watching have been confused by the ridiculous nonsense they've been spewing out.

There is no amount of oxytocin and alien magic that could make these people a "functioning" anything.

Evil anthropologists have a working laptop, but still need lanterns? Where did the laptop and all their files come from?

This is biggest effort I have ever seen a show go through to create a couple of love-triangles. I appreciate Nori's new hair, though. 

I was really hoping Big Jim and Julia were going to form an uneasy alliance against Marg outside the town meeting. I could have gotten behind that. I don't know how/if the show aligns with the book anymore, but don't trust anyone named Christine in a King story.

Julia is marking distance in paces now. OK, show.

Why are there tent villages now? Everyone else had a house a day or two ago. What did I forget?

That dog has the most expressive face. Best actor on the show, by far.

I'm calling two references to Marie from BB this episode. The purple minerals and the spoon collection hanging on the wall of Andrea's house.

• Love 3

This is biggest effort I have ever seen a show go through to create a couple of love-triangles.

And it's just as bad, if not worse with its contrivance.

Why are there tent villages now? Everyone else had a house a day or two ago. What did I forget?

Everyone had to get into the tunnels because the Dome was contracting and was going to crush everything -- except, based on the ditch around the circumference of the Dome, it only contracted about 30-40 feet.  Which means everyone's house should still be intact except for those houses right next to the Dome -- which wouldn't be all that many.  It's too confusing.  But basically the whole Dome contracting was just complete and utter bullshit just to get them all in the tunnel.

• Love 1

Do we know who killed Andrea?  I remember very little about the end of last season.

When Barbie and whoever else managed to get out and then into the dome last season, they really should have brought food or something. I'm also surprised they seem to be running so low again.  Didn't Andrea have enough supplies for "weeks"?