Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Contorno

Jack Crawford and Inspector Pazzi search for clues that will lead them closer to Hannibal Lecter's location in Florence, but the promise of riches offered by Mason Verger threatens to corrupt Pazzi's quest for redemption. Meanwhile, Will Graham and Chiyoh travel to Florence, both on a mission to find Hannibal, but at odds over the desired outcome. Elsewhere, as Alana Bloom continues to work with Mason Verger she grows concerned for the safety of all involved.

Promo:

(edited)

Finally!   GO JACK.   

I almost tuned out when there were more g-d snails at the beginning but finally this season is what I was looking for. 

Seeing Will thrown off the back of a train (I find him so irritating),  Jack saying bye to Bella then getting his BAMF on...  

Loved it.    

Edited by midge
  • Love 12

Damn, Hannibal got smoked. It does remind you that Hannibal got kind of lucky in the first fight. 

Pazzi's end was pretty straight Harris canon and predictable. I did not see the "Throw Will from the Train" coming, though.

• Love 11

I'm sick because I was yelling "Get up, Hannibal! Get up and fight!" Yeah, except for the snails, that episode was awesome. I was hoping Chiyoh would toss sad sack Will off the train and she did! Brava! Mads was awesome, in true Hannibal form.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love Will a lot but the "Will thrown off the train" bit made me laugh - I think mostly because of that weird backflip... He is still way too trusting, especially of a person he knows Hannibal messed with and who has made it rather obvious that Will is not her favorite person due to him making her kill someone...

So I take it Chiyou is Hannibal's little minion and loyal to him till the end? Or was that her teaching Will a lesson of sorts?

And Will does want to kill Hannibal, after all? Though if he does, that is going to just finish his transformation, really?

Jack was awesome. Till he failed to kill Hannibal. Going to regret that Jack. Having said that, that look Jack gave Hannibal when he saw him at the window after killing Pazzi? Man... If looks could kill, Jack had killed Hannibal a zillion times by now.

I was surprised that Alana was just going to let Pazzi be killed, so when she made that "Clarice" phone call behind Mason to possibly warn him, I was happy. She is using Mason but has her own agenda in all this and still cares about other people getting hurt.

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric
  • Love 11

That was awesome. Pazzi's end was pretty much straight from Hannibal, but that fight scene was just incredible. I kept worrying that Hannibal was gonna nail Jack with that axe, so I was pleasantly surprised to see Hannibal just get his ass thoroughly kicked.

I'm going to have to watch that episode a couple more times.

• Love 4

That. Was. Epic . Can't wait for next week. I must have re watched that fight 3 times so far. And now...I'm gonna watch it again. The music playing in the background was perfect. So well done.

Lets hope the snail like pace of the previous episodes is finally over. Get it.. snail like pace? Yeah, probably a bit much, lol.

• Love 13
(edited)

I thought perhaps this Pazzi would be less corruptible, but alas.  It was by the book, but it worked well. 

Despite Pazzi's failings I like him for befriending Jack.  I'm glad  Jack got a few moments with a nice couple and a good (non-cannibal) meal to remember what civilization feels like.  Jack really is the tough, reliable, centered character in the midst of the chaos.  He wore it so well, and he was righteous in his attack on the monster.  He may think he'll feel alive when Hannibal's gone, but he never seemed more vital than in this.

Mason was and is a repugnant retch of a human being.  I too was glad to see that Alana wasn't prepared to participate in or accept Pazzi's death in the way that Mason was.  She remains less culpable than Bedelia, who was virtually plotting with Hannibal here.

I think the depiction of Will on the knife's edge has been well done.  The disturbing antler dream juxtaposed against his gullibility with Chiyo highlight that he is not in full control of himself or his direction.  I did not see being thrown off the train coming.  I was a little cheered to see the old non-mutant, non-wendigo ravenstag.  It reminds me of Will when he was only under the influence of illness instead of Hannibal.

Apparently we can blame Hannibal for the snails since he was the one raising them.  Evil indeed.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 8

Yes!  As much as I enjoy the Hannibal character and love Mads, Jack kicking the shit out of him, was so, so satisfying.  Unless the fight scene in season two, this was way more one-sided.  I guess Hannibal ain't so hot, when he doesn't have all his kitchen weapons hanging around.  Of course, they had to find a way to have him somehow escape, but that was so enjoyable.  I can't wait to see what a wounded Hannibal is going to be like next week.

Knew Pazzi was a goner, and his end sure was simple, but still brutal in his own way.  Enjoyed Mia Maestro briefly popping up as his wife.  I guess she has time, before having to go back over to The Strain.

Will and Chiyo's train ride was kind of boring, until the end.  My mind kept wondering to random things.  First, when I saw how they arraigned the bunk beds, I was wondering how that discussion went.  For some reason, I would have found it hilarious with Will really wanted to top bunk, and wouldn't take no for an answer.  Second, I just thought about how Will would be like as a travel companion in general.  I really like the fellow, but seriously: can you imagine what a trip like him would be like?  It doesn't matter what you see or what fun little tourist trap you go to: he would find some way to turn it into a twenty-minute speech about doom and gloom. At least you can move around in a train.  Imagine a plane ride with that fellow!

But now Chiyo just tossed him off the train?  What is her deal?  She doesn't want him to kill Hannibal or something?  Hannibal just makes everyone insane, it seems.

Apparently, Alana is pretty decent at detective work, by figuring out that Hannibal is in Florence, due to tracking his need for the finest food in the world.  Loved their scene over the phone: she was furious!  Mason continues to be all kinds of fucked up.

Still not sure what Bedelia's game is.

Well, NBC sure is promising next week's episode will be a big one.  We shall see.

• Love 5
(edited)

It pisses me off that NBC pumps up the next episode when the show has already been cancelled. I would feel a whole lot better if NBC would just give us the whole season on on-demand already.

Jack has been my favorite character for a while now & his smile when he knew he had control of Hannibal was killer. Obviously, he couldn't kill him, but what a beat-down.

Edited by AttackTurtle
  • Love 5

Shiiiiiit, that fight was brutal. Hannibal got thrown through glass repeatedly for emphasis! And go Jack, making good use of those museum torture implements. Those Jack/Hannibal fights are always amazing. Considering how mad Jack got when Hannibal brought up the idea of Jack helping Bella die, is that confirmation that Jack did mercy kill her? I kept wondering about that in the last episode.

Snails, fireflies, Chiyo, Will... *snore* This season has been so disjointed and dream-like, I can't even tell if Chiyo throwing Will off the train is real or a dream. The night and the train looked so fake and then there was the slo-mo backflip and then the appearance of the stag-wendigo-Hannibal thingy. The physics of it all looked so off compared to the raw beatdown Hannibal took.

• Love 4

Great episode! Listening to Mason Verger talk in the beginning I kept thinking he sounded like someone else. I'm thinking it was Jim Carrey in "The Mask". I didn't see the train tossing coming. Jack certainly kicked hannibal's buttt.

• Love 2

I was so worried for Jack. Phew.

Will getting tossed was kind of funny. I like how he thinks he is control and then....Heh. She is made of less malleable stuff. But I wish her delivery was more natural.

Is it wrong that I find Mason oddly attractive? The actor must be stunning without makeup. I do not miss Pitt even if he was a bit more pig-like.

I might take a snail from a shirtless Mads. And he needs to burn that shirt he wore playing the piano.

Great episode! Listening to Mason Verger talk in the beginning I kept thinking he sounded like someone else. I'm thinking it was Jim Carrey in "The Mask". I didn't see the train tossing coming. Jack certainly kicked hannibal's buttt.

Somebody else suggested James Cagney. I like it. He is so slimey with Alana. It is just so extreme it borders on farce. Love it.

• Love 3
(edited)

JACK!  YES!!!  That was so satisfying!  I was a little disappointed it was so one-sided and H wasn't nearly the killing machine he was in Mizumono, but I guess that's what happens when you go soft from eating snails and truffles and your museum colleagues for a year.

Chiyoh is a pain, she's even more dour than Will and pushing him off the train (if that wasn't a dream) was annoying and dumb.  Will should have left her to marinate in her own existential stew at Castle Dracula.  At least the Ravenstag was back, nice to see that animal again, even if it was only its butt.

The physics of it all looked so off compared to the raw beatdown Hannibal took.

IKR!  It reminded me of the van drop from Walking Dead, the physics was all wrong.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 3
Finally!   GO JACK

That fight was THE SHIT. If the original face off was Bear Vs. Shark, this one was Shark Vs Bear who has a sore paw and a toothache and has been juicing like a motherfucker AND JUST DOES NOT FUCKING CARE. 

I am truly confused about how much of that Will/Chiyo scene was real vs. "I can't sleep so hey, blood hallucination time" on Will's part. (When she came into the sleeping car it was sooooo awkward, and then later when she kissed him I was expecting him to say Are you a lesbian trying to conceive? No judgement, this ain't my first rodeo, just asking.) The flip off the train made me wonder even more, and Ravenstag didn't clear much up. I hope Will has his passport in his coat pocket--The Lithuanian border is no place to be a persona non grata.

Loved the New Version Mason and Alana Detective Agency. They've both morphed--Mason used to be much more of a butterfly, albeit one made of creosote and tar, and Alana was of course a nature goddess--and now Mason's lost his wings, become a creeping thing, swiveling gaily through his slimy innuendo, while Alana is a camouflaged wasp--with Mason she's all daggers and stings, but behind his back she's acting soft and concerned--don't mind me, just a sleepy little wasp hanging out with these figs, bzzz bzzz bzzzz.

• Love 3

That beat-down at the end was so spectacular that no one has yet written about the first scene with shirtless Mads and breathtaking Gillian.  Yowza.  His hand on her neck -- talk about mixed messages!  I didn't care what they were babbling about, I just enjoyed looking and the gorgeousness and listening to their silken voices.

Despite Pazzi's failings I like him for befriending Jack.  I'm glad  Jack got a few moments with a nice couple and a good (non-cannibal) meal to remember what civilization feels like.  Jack really is the tough, reliable, centered character in the midst of the chaos.  He wore it so well, and he was righteous in his attack on the monster.  He may think he'll feel alive when Hannibal's gone, but he never seemed more vital than in this.

All the scenes with Jack were...earthbound in the best way.  I love what BF has done with the character of Jack by using Lawrence FIshburne.  Tonight, especially, I was imagining Demme and Scott Glenn watching and saying, "ok, yeah, that's another way to go with him...."  The physicality yes, but also the warmth.  

Snails, fireflies, Chiyo, Will... *snore* This season has been so disjointed and dream-like, I can't even tell if Chiyo throwing Will off the train is real or a dream. The night and the train looked so fake and then there was the slo-mo backflip and then the appearance of the stag-wendigo-Hannibal thingy. The physics of it all looked so off compared to the raw beatdown Hannibal took.

And I'm disappointed in where BF has taken Will -- especially if tonight's train scenes were real and not a dream.  I wrote a couple of weeks ago -- after the episode in which the stag became grotesque and Will let go of Abigail -- that I hoped Will was releasing much of his fascination with and vulnerability to Hannibal.  Well, that's not happening.  Instead we have 2 weeks of nonsensical (yeah,yeah, dreamlike, fairy tale, whatever) scenes with Chiyoh and his admissions to both her and Jack that he wanted Hannibal to get away and perhaps go along.  I'm not looking for some straightforward profiling crime story here -- I expect Will to be a mess, emotionally.  But Hugh Dancy does a wonderful job of conveying that inner conflict, edge-of-insanity (and over the edge) psyche that's a product of his own brokenness and Hannibal's manipulation.  That's enough for me.  I'm not enjoying him leaning towards violence (and decorating corpses).

Why did we see Mr.Moth again twice anyway?  No one's there.  Unless Hannibal shows up there next week, what's the point?  It's a disturbingly gorgeous tableau, but we've seen it.

• Love 2

And this show shows yet again why I will never be an awesome TV character. Because if I recognized Hannibal and he knew it? After the insane amount of panicking ensued I'd be heading to some podunkville I would figure he'd never deign to visit. Sunizona, Arizona or Poniatowski, Wisconsin, for example.

Oh Will. Thrown from a train. How embarrassing.

You go Jack. But next time? AK-47. Just sayin'.

• Love 7

Fucking Jack. That was satisfying, but also maddening. Beat Hannibal's ass, but cuff him to something!

If this is the end of the show, I'm really satisfied with how quick things are moving. After some quiet eps, it feels like this ep put rubber to the road.

• Love 1

Does Italy have different rules and regulations about where you can scatter ashes? I know here in California, we had to rent a boat and go offshore a certain distance in order to scatter a friend's father's ashes.

On a related note, if I die first I hope that Mr. EB doesn't immediately remove his ring and fling it into the first body of water he sees.

Hannibal and Bedelia must be Doing It now, right? I mean, shirtless Hannibal is feeding her and touching her hair and neck neck in the sexiest way possible while she's lounging about the house in a silk nightgown and robe. There's no way they're hanging out like that but just being platonic!

Hannibal always prides himself on being so sneaky and having the upper hand, so I loved that Jack took off his shoes to sneak up on Hannibal. Even though Jack was in control for that entire scene, I kept worrying that Hannibal was going to grab something and knock Jack out or toss him out the window. Sometimes the arty close up/slow motion "I love film making for the sake of film making" shots can be a bit much for me, but I loved the shots of the glass shattering. I also loved Jack and Hannibal reversing positions (Jack initially looking up from the piazza at Hannibal in the window after killing Pazzi and then Hannibal down in the piazza looking up at Jack in the window). I also cracked up when Jack reached out to spin that giant wheel before walking over to the window.

RIP Pazzi - at least Jack got to have a nice dinner without any people parts before Hannibal tossed you out the window!

I like fireflies and all, but enough with the fireflies and the snails, damn it.

• Love 5
(edited)

That wasn't a fight, that was an ass kicking, an ass kicking set to music.

Interesting that Jack, in stocking feet, snuck up on Hannibal from behind; that's what Hannibal did to Miriam Lass.  

The fight was also interesting because Hannibal really didn't expect Jack to be there.  He also realized that the card he always played, "how will you go on without me" meant nothing to Jack.  Hannibal's such a narcissist, he thinks he's the most interesting man in the world and no one would be able to go on without him.  That is how Hannibal has been able to go on for so long, he's intelligent, cultured, educated, interesting, a good dresser, a Renaissance man; people admire him.  If he were crass, disgusting and wore ugly clothes, he'd have been caught years ago.

Bedelia's no fool.  She's playing both sides, that's why she was doing the shopping.  Bedelia knew someone would notice the purchases, and she was right.

I think Chiyo wanted Will to kill Hannibal, but realized that Will was too enamored of him, so she was like, "later dude," poof, off the train for you.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 10

I did not see the "Throw Will from the Train" coming, though.

I predicted it about a minute before it happened, then laughed like crazy when it did.

I never knew watching a beatdown could feel so cathartic!

Also, Dear Hannibal- lighting people: I appreciate your extreme darkness during disembowelments and other creepy/ disgusting scenes. Please keep it up. But could you maybe add a little light to scenes where Hugh Dancy is shirtless? Much appreciated. Sincerely, dargosmydaddy

• Love 4

Good episode.

I can't tell anyone's motives.

Hannibal - I don't think he's trying to seduce Bedelia, but what is he doing? Is she like his Kobe steak or something?

Jack - Why didn't he just kill Hannibal? Sure, beating him bloody was probably more fun, but look how wrong it went last time.

Will - Does he really want to kill Hannibal at all? In the season 2 commentary he said the stag represented Will's friendship with Hannibal, and the stag is back.

Chiyo - What even.

Bedelia's no fool.  She's playing both sides, that's why she was doing the shopping.  Bedelia knew someone would notice the purchases, and she was right.

She totally stole that idea from "Boxing Helena."

Does Italy have different rules and regulations about where you can scatter ashes? I know here in California, we had to rent a boat and go offshore a certain distance in order to scatter a friend's father's ashes.

It's illegal in most of the US but that never stops anyone. Probably illegal in Italy, probably doesn't stop anyone there either.

• Love 3

I think Jack was trying to incapacitate Hannibal, not kill him. I think he is too grounded to murder. And I don't know why he would have cuffs. He is a former FBI director, not someone who would carry cuffs. And no gun because he is in Italy.

I wonder if the FBI brass downplayed the manhunt for Hannibal out of a need to cover up Jack and Will's investigation. Hannibal is one horrible killer but Jack allowed an FBI employee to mutilate a body. If people have no trust in their government institutions, that's worse for the FBI. Plus you have Mason influencing potential sightings through bribery. I suspect the new FBI brass would be fine with Hannibal away in Europe. Just as Pazzi suggested to Mason. Do your horrible thing but not in my town.

I love the idea of Will being eaten like the snail but surviving and ending up far away. Hannibal identifies with the fireflies. Will is the snail. What is the bird? Their relationship?

• Love 3
(edited)

James Cagney with a little Thurston Howell, III.

Thurston Howell III was totally Who I was trying to think of.

ElectricBoogaloo wrote:

"On a related note, if I die first I hope that Mr. EB doesn't immediately remove his ring and fling it into the first body of water he sees."

Yes that was so odd. My mom wore her wedding ring for years afterwards. I think she wore my fathers along with it as well for several years. Then put both rings away in a jewelry box after she eventually stopped wearing them. If he hated his wife and couldn't wait for her to die I could see him flinging his ring but he loved her dearly.

dargosmydaddy Wrote:

"Also, Dear Hannibal- lighting people: I appreciate your extreme darkness during disembowelments and other creepy/ disgusting scenes. Please keep it up. But could you maybe add a little light to scenes where Hugh Dancy is shirtless? Much appreciated. Sincerely,"

AMEN SISTER!

Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 2

@AimingforYoko the rest of the episode was so shocking I forgot about the "spitters are quitters" line." You are right no one is minding the store anymore.

While watching Bedelia and Hannibal together I found myself wondering if they ever have mundane conversations like the rest of us mere mortals..."Hannibal, where did you put the toilet paper????"  "Bedelia, what the hell did you do with the remote????"  And such as...

I am annoyed by Mason's affected speech patterns.  Too much like A.Hop's in Silence when picking at Clarice.

Thank doG this show is back, I was terribly frustrated last week.

• Love 10
(edited)
I think Chiyo wanted Will to kill Hannibal, but realized that Will was too enamored of him, so she was like, "later dude," poof, off the train for you.

Either that or she's also in love with him and it was "Two's company, three's a crowd" situation. Honestly, that whole thing was so weird. 

When they were sitting across from each other in the train and Will was being his new, more dour Will 2.0 self is when I bet she started to think of it; "Oh, my God, I cannot with this all the way into Italy, especially on this train that's slow enough to chuck somebody off of and only minorly inconvenience them...say...hmmm...." And then later with her line about using violence when it was the right thing to do? That there was the Will/Chiyo version of screaming "I AM GOING TO THROW YOU OFF THE BACK OF THIS THING SO HELP ME IF YOU DON'T QUIT WITH THE MOOD CLOUD."

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 8

This season is demonstrating what a giant charisma void Will Graham is. Him exchanging cryptic profundities in his quivering cry-talking voice with Hannibal? Fantastic. With Chiyo (a character too busy being written as "ENIGMATIC" to have any discernible personality or audience appeal)? Yawn. The Hannibal, Jack, and Mason scenes all were kinetic and engaging, and the cuts to the Orient Express detracted from the episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Jack was trying to incapacitate Hannibal, not kill him. I think he is too grounded to murder.

I agree, I felt it was completely intentional that Jack stopped just short of killing Hannibal. But my thinking was that he wanted to "save" the actual kill for Will.

To everyone who says they were completely caught off-guard when Chiyo tossed Will off the back of the train, as well as those who said they kept waitng for the reveal that it was just a dream - same here! I'm still unsure that I'm convinced it wasn't a dream, especially because the stag/wendigo appeared.

That "Spitters are quitters, and you don't strike me as a quitter." line was both gross and hilarious. And how the fuck did that make it past the censors? I guess when you're showing people getting eaten alive, a blow job reference isn't worth caring about too much.

I find myself watching this show with one eye trying to guess which visuals Sars will use in her recaps, and what richer meaning they might have both within the context of the story and history in general. I just wanted to take a moment to say, "Thank you!" for the insightful readings, they have truly enhanced the show for me.

Edited by Bretley
  • Love 1

This season is demonstrating what a giant charisma void Will Graham is. Him exchanging cryptic profundities in his quivering cry-talking voice with Hannibal? Fantastic. With Chiyo (a character too busy being written as "ENIGMATIC" to have any discernible personality or audience appeal)? Yawn. The Hannibal, Jack, and Mason scenes all were kinetic and engaging, and the cuts to the Orient Express detracted from the episode.

I like Hugh Dancy, but his portrayal of Will Graham is the one that I think falls short of the original portrayal by William Peterson. He comes off way to fragile for me. Laurence Fishbourne and Mads on the other hand have totally owned thier roles and Crawford in particular is now far more interesting.

• Love 6