Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Betrayal

Is their any internet, cell phones, tv, music? You would think these kids would loose it yet they seem so calm, especially ones like Ben that came from 2014 or not long before that.

• Love 1

My problem with Ben is that he seems like he's in a coma when he's walking and talking. The character shows very little interest in anything - even the girl trying to get in his pants. To me he seems not so much sullen as checked out.

This, he shows no reaction to watching the sheriff getting killed off, he quickly accepts anything the principal tells him with no hesitation whatsoever, etc. and he's sadly not the only character I feel does this, he's just the most obvious example of it imo.

• Love 1

My problem with Ben is that he seems like he's in a coma when he's walking and talking. The character shows very little interest in anything - even the girl trying to get in his pants. To me he seems not so much sullen as checked out.

Could there be some hypnosis thing going on that makes him seem detached?  Or is he freaking out on the inside and just hiding it?

Could there be some hypnosis thing going on that makes him seem detached?  Or is he freaking out on the inside and just hiding it?

Nah. IMO, it's just the way the actor is playing it. He was like that in his first few scenes too, when he and Theresa were still in Seattle. The crazy hypno teacher was clearly trying to manipulate him in the first meeting set in the school, but the drab, mumble almost every line and seem detached stuff is an acting choice from what I have seen from the character/actor.

Is their any internet, cell phones, tv, music?

Nope. None of the above. Yeah, it'd be far more realistic if Ben was flipping the hell out at the lack of electronics. There's been research conducted on youth that basically stated that teens go through some kind of withdrawal symptoms when they are deprived of their gadgets. Hell, I know it's hard for me to be without my cell phone for a few hours!

• Love 2

I told my friends daughter who is 14 how we didn't have cell phones when I was 14 and she said she didn't know how we lived (granted we didn't know any better) but these kids I definitely think would be going through withdrawal....unless procreating would take care of that.

• Love 1

Another Thiught. Why IDAHO? Why not somewhere warmer where things grow more easily? Is it because they thought no floods? No government bothering them? I mean Idaho is hardly the garden of America.

I don't recall the in-show reason (which was most likely as silly as the rest of it), but that location, ringed by high mountains as it was, was easily defensible.  The wall would be shorter than a wheat field.

I agree, but I can't decide if the characters aren't fleshed out enough, or if it's an inexperienced actor thing. 

Both?

Is their any internet, cell phones, tv, music? You would think these kids would loose it yet they seem so calm, especially ones like Ben that came from 2014 or not long before that.

That is one of the issues that I take with Pilcher's approach.  If he's really trying to convince the older generation that it's 2014, why did he mainly saddle them with pre-Internet and cellular technology from about 1975-1980?  That alone should have tipped people off:  "If it's 2014, where are my Internet, satellite TV, and cell phone service?"

Nope. None of the above. Yeah, it'd be far more realistic if Ben was flipping the hell out at the lack of electronics. There's been research conducted on youth that basically stated that teens go through some kind of withdrawal symptoms when they are deprived of their gadgets. Hell, I know it's hard for me to be without my cell phone for a few hours!

You're not kidding.  I'm 54, and even my boss knows enough not to get between my Twitter and me when I'm at work!  LOL

• Love 1
(edited)

That is one of the issues that I take with Pilcher's approach.  If he's really trying to convince the older generation that it's 2014, why did he mainly saddle them with pre-Internet and cellular technology from about 1975-1980?  That alone should have tipped people off:  "If it's 2014, where are my Internet, satellite TV, and cell phone service?"

The justification the residents have for those things being gone isn't that he's trying to make it 2014 and totally failed. Its that he has deliberately cut off communication to the outside world and is making no pretense otherwise. They might miss those things, but they wouldn't be questioning what year it is because they don't have them.. they would be questioning why they are isolated from the world.

If I got kidnapped and held in isolation without a phone, internet or tv, I certainly wouldn't start to wonder if I'd time traveled. The thought would never cross my mind. I'd wonder why I wasn't being allowed to communicate with anyone. I'd just assume that it was still 2015 and that time is proceeding normally... as have the residents of WP.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 5
(edited)

The justification the residents have for those things being gone isn't that he's trying to make it 2014 and totally failed. Its that he has deliberately cut off communication to the outside world and is making no pretense otherwise. They might miss those things, but they wouldn't be questioning what year it is because they don't have them.. they would be questioning why they are isolated from the world.

If I got kidnapped and held in isolation without a phone, internet or tv, I certainly wouldn't start to wonder if I'd time traveled. The thought would never cross my mind. I'd wonder why I wasn't being allowed to communicate with anyone. I'd just assume that it was still 2015 and that time is proceeding normally... as have the residents of WP.

But that's where the problem lies.  He's made it too obvious that they're cut off from the outside world for no apparent reason.  The more effective approach would have been to keep up the appearance of contemporary technology (the volunteers in the compound can fake phone calls, so faking the Internet, satellite TV, and cell phone service shouldn't be too much of a stretch) instead of using technology from 40 years previously (I'm pretty sure I spotted a rotary phone somewhere -- those are practically non-existent in 2015 -- and the hospital's technology also seems to be about 40 years out of date:  Pilcher mentions brain surgery to Ethan, but doesn't discuss or even show him the results of the MRI or CAT scan that led him to conclude that such drastic treatment is necessary?).

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

But that's where the problem lies.  He's made it too obvious that they're cut off from the outside world for no apparent reason. 

Well he also hasn't given them a reason why they can't talk about their life before or reasons or anything else. So I don't see any contradiction in not giving them a reason why they are being refused contact with the outside world.

• Love 1

Well he also hasn't given them a reason why they can't talk about their life before or reasons or anything else. So I don't see any contradiction in not giving them a reason why they are being refused contact with the outside world.

The point isn't that he hasn't given them any reasons.  The point is that he's made it too obvious that they're cut off.  A lot more than just a handful of them should be saying "Hmmm..." at this point -- and it shouldn't have taken 12 years (according to Kate) for even the handful to start saying it.

• Love 2

t shouldn't have taken 12 years (according to Kate) for even the handful to start saying it.

They were waiting for Ethan.  He was the match that lit their Mission: Impossible fuze.  (Everybody hum the theme music now!)

He did actually complain about the lack of wifi when they first arrived.  But if he did get all strung out about it, we'd hear even more complaints about "annoying teens".  I actually don't have a problem with that character, and neither do my two older kids (a son in high school and a daughter in middle school).

That is one of the issues that I take with Pilcher's approach.  If he's really trying to convince the older generation that it's 2014, why did he mainly saddle them with pre-Internet and cellular technology from about 1975-1980?

You're not kidding.  I'm 54, and even my boss knows enough not to get between my Twitter and me when I'm at work!  LOL

He's not trying to convince them it's 2014.  Remember, Beverly thought it was 2000 or 2001, while Kate presumably thinks it's 2026.  The idea is not to have any technology more advanced than the year people left, and not have people talk about the past so they don't compare notes and realize they are on different timelines.

• Love 1

He did actually complain about the lack of wifi when they first arrived.  But if he did get all strung out about it, we'd hear even more complaints about "annoying teens".  I actually don't have a problem with that character, and neither do my two older kids (a son in high school and a daughter in middle school).

But that's a problem, he doesn't really have much of a character at all, he readily accepts anything: watching a sheriff get killed, going along with the school/principal's ideals, having the pressure of carrying on the next generation of the human race, etc.  Yet there's no reaction whatsoever, from his pov, this is all happening recently for him, he only just arrived to a new town and yet there's no reaction to anything whatsoever.

He's not trying to convince them it's 2014.  Remember, Beverly thought it was 2000 or 2001, while Kate presumably thinks it's 2026.  The idea is not to have any technology more advanced than the year people left, and not have people talk about the past so they don't compare notes and realize they are on different timelines.

That opens up problems, there are obvious time discrepancies, that and we've seen characters sneak off to talk while under surveillance and it's no wonder why there's a growing rebellion among the townspeople who were kidnapped, witnessed countless reckonings, forced to live under surveillance and not talk about their past at all, etc.

Pam calls Kate and her husband a young couple that should have kids? Kate's about 40? Not exactly young to have a child.

I was thinking the same exact thing.  It seems nurse Pan could use a biology lesson from the pervy hypnoteacher because both Kate and Harold are definitely beyond prime child bearing years.  Not that it can't happen, but a couple in their 40's conceiving their first child without any medical help is unlikely.

I guess after the last two episodes this one felt a little underwhelming.  I'm still interested in how it all pans out though.

(edited)

My hope for a logical and interesting show are greatly diminishing ... after watching Lost for 7 years I only started this since it was just 10 episodes ... but assuming that this is going to make some type of sense and not just be yet another sloppy sci-fi TV show ...

Why I think its not 4028:

1. They show a quarter from 2096 (iirc), therefore society and technology certainly moved along from 2015. If they were minting quarters in 2096 then the Abbies certainly did not take over the Earth yet. So there should be tech in the bunker that is beyond today's tech. Certainly we should see items from say 2020, or 2040, but we don't. 

2. There are what, maybe 500-1000 people (combined bunker and WP) to feed, house, etc. For you farmers out there, how many arable and ranch acres would be needed to support this many people? Are we to assume that all this food has been stored (no way) ... does the bunker have farms and ranches and fisheries somewhere? I think Occam would say that the more likely situation is that its not 4096 and that all these things are coming in from the world as we know it.

3. Maintaining this equipment ... yep 2015 equipment will surely last 2000 years. In the other thread I posited (but only while grasping at straws) that maybe everything was in a large vacuum ... again doesn't seem right.

What this might be:

Perhaps this is a Secret Service test (of Ethan) to prepare him for a potential future catastrophe? 

Surveillance:

There would be tons of ways to avoid this, there was what 1 person watching a screen of maybe 100-200 small panels of videos. The townsfolk would have certainly figured out that most of the town is not being watched.

Unfortunately:

Its probably just another poorly thought out TV show not geared towards people that need it to make sense (other than the sci-fi premise). I'll watch to see what happens, but otherwise its on to Zoo.

Edited by dlr
  • Love 6

At this point I can only conclude that it is an experiment and they are being studied at all times.  Hence the constant surveillance and lack of information.  I can suspend belief for some things and plot holes but I do not see how the magic elves built such as facility and keep it stocked with housing clothes food, etc.  I wonder if the execuitions were even real,  or even what year it is.  It almost seems like they have to be drugged by the food or water at all times given the detached way they all operate.  That or bad acting.  I'm ready to just get to the end already.  I do want to see whats under the deserted plot. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Exactly, their actions make no sense, no wonder there's a rebellion on its way.

There are rules!

Lots of sex!

But you must answer your phone.

Honestly I am enjoying the show. It makes kinda sense if you think about it in certain uncomplicated ways. People believe what they want to, what they need to..I think the shows biggest mistake is making it too complicated. They are in the future. Some know. Some don't. Some have power. Some don't.

There is some major story in that even without mobsters at the door.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

It makes kinda sense if you think about it in certain uncomplicated ways. People believe what they want to, what they need to..I think the shows biggest mistake is making it too complicated.

Some people have been there for years and the time discrepancies have been very obvious since episode 1.

Ben had no reaction whatsoever to anything whatsoever and this character has only recently woken up in WP at the time: watching the sheriff die, learning about WP and that he's 2000 years into the future, is tasked with the burden away from his parents to carry out the next generation for the human race, etc.

Edited by Free
(edited)

At this point I can only conclude that it is an experiment and they are being studied at all times.  Hence the constant surveillance and lack of information.  I can suspend belief for some things and plot holes but I do not see how the magic elves built such as facility and keep it stocked with housing clothes food, etc.  I wonder if the execuitions were even real,  or even what year it is.  It almost seems like they have to be drugged by the food or water at all times given the detached way they all operate.  That or bad acting.  I'm ready to just get to the end already.  I do want to see whats under the deserted plot. 

Occam's Razor would dictate a far less complicated conclusion, which is that Pilcher is telling the truth and it really is 4028.  How do you fake someone getting her throat slit in front of hundreds of witnesses or the decomposing body of someone else who underwent the same ritual some time earlier?  And where would you find actors who can gut, strip, and devour an entire deer carcass with their bare hands in a matter of minutes?

Look, sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

How do you fake:

1)  someone getting her throat slit in front of hundreds of witnesses

2) the decomposing body of someone else who underwent the same ritual some time earlier?  

3) gutting, stripping, and devouring an entire deer carcass with their bare hands in a matter of minutes?

1) They do this at Universal Studios three times a day.  I had my arm chopped off (it grew back) [Note, that's assuming the "Reckonings" are fake.  They could be real.

2) This is a point in favor of the "Reckonings" being real, not of the timeline.  Bill was "Reckoned" several days before Ethan arrived in WP.  His body would be in the same stage of decomposition regardless of whether it's 2015 or 4096 or 9999.

3) No one saw the deer being gutted, stripped or devoured.  For all we know, the folks at the bunker caught and killed a deer, and used special tools to make it look like the Abbies had killed and eaten it.

===============================================

The quality of writing, and the flat-out contradictions make me believe that it's 4096.  But there's certainly evidence to suggest that the cigar is a pipe. 

• Love 2

3) No one saw the deer being gutted, stripped or devoured.  For all we know, the folks at the bunker caught and killed a deer, and used special tools to make it look like the Abbies had killed and eaten it.

So where did the explicit footage of the Abbies doing just that come from?

• Love 1

So where did the explicit footage of the Abbies doing just that come from?

Maybe some of the residents of the Mountain control center enjoy drama class every now and then.  They'd also have camera phones or digital cameras.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe some of the residents of the Mountain control center enjoy drama class every now and then.  They'd also have camera phones or digital cameras.

Or maybe things are exactly as they seem and the abbies furiously devouring a deer carcass in 30 seconds flat was not faked. An abbie slashing Ethan's arm so deep he required stitches was also not faked. 

No one saw the deer being gutted, stripped or devoured

tumblr_npt3u3Q12j1uu0tozo5_400.gif

Ethan witnessed this exact scene. If you doubt what he saw, then by that logic, everything he sees could be doubted.

Beverley having her throat slit so badly that the blood flowed out onto the street and her dead body was left hanging in that one house also seemed pretty damn real to me.

tumblr_nqbl7kY6e01qiju81o1_400.gif

Edited by grandemocha
  • Love 1

Regarding not having technology from after 2015, couldn't that just be because that's when Pilcher froze himself? If he was still around collecting people/supplies in 2095, he'd be over 100.

• Love 1

Does anyone recognize the kinds of explosives being used?  The pipe bomb sure looked like it had a large chunk of C4 (or a gray block of modeling clay).  At the end of last episode, we see Harold packing a much different packet into the music box.  That one looked more like a pouch of chocolate syrup to me, certainly squishy and black if not actually liquid.  Could Franklin have concocted something out of chemicals? 

• Love 1

So the biggest shock to me this episode was that rebel Ted actually DID put the bomb in Ethan's car. I thought it was Pam to manipulate Ethan into flushing out the rebels to protect his family.

The moment we saw coming a mile away was Ben getting blown up. Please let this character actually be dead.

But, OMG, Ethan couldn't be any more annoying. Don't tell anyone = he'll tell any passing person with as much conviction as if he's making small talk: Nice weather we're having. Thought the climate might be different now that it's the year 4028 and all the rest of humanity outside of Wayward Pines was eaten by monsters. Well, have a nice day! Gotta run!

• Love 4

Or maybe things are exactly as they seem and the abbies furiously devouring a deer carcass in 30 seconds flat was not faked. An abbie slashing Ethan's arm so deep he required stitches was also not faked. 

Ethan witnessed this exact scene. If you doubt what he saw, then by that logic, everything he sees could be doubted.

Beverley having her throat slit so badly that the blood flowed out onto the street and her dead body was left hanging in that one house also seemed pretty damn real to me.

I'm going to have to watch the deer-eating scene again.  This show has made such an impression that I forgot all about it!

As for the dead bodies, that just proves that the Reckonings happened, which would be the same in any year.

(edited)

But that's where the problem lies.  He's made it too obvious that they're cut off from the outside world for no apparent reason.  The more effective approach would have been to keep up the appearance of contemporary technology (the volunteers in the compound can fake phone calls, so faking the Internet, satellite TV, and cell phone service shouldn't be too much of a stretch) instead of using technology from 40 years previously (I'm pretty sure I spotted a rotary phone somewhere -- those are practically non-existent in 2015 -- and the hospital's technology also seems to be about 40 years out of date:  Pilcher mentions brain surgery to Ethan, but doesn't discuss or even show him the results of the MRI or CAT scan that led him to conclude that such drastic treatment is necessary?).

They're up in the mountains, so they easily could have said that there is no cell signal.  But even if they did that, it would still be obvious they're cut off.  There's no road that leaves and everyone knows there's a huge wall around the town.  It's not like you'd build a wall around the town and still let people call home.  The lack of cell phones/Internet has little to do with isolation and everything to do with not allowing people to realize they were taking in different years, in my opinion.

Why I think its not 4028:

1. They show a quarter from 2096 (iirc), therefore society and technology certainly moved along from 2015. If they were minting quarters in 2096 then the Abbies certainly did not take over the Earth yet. So there should be tech in the bunker that is beyond today's tech. Certainly we should see items from say 2020, or 2040, but we don't.

I don't think they were supposed to have been frozen after 2096.  Unless you mean Pilcher, et al unfroze themselves at that time and then refroze themselves.  Which in that case, yeah, they could have picked up some new technology.  I think the situation is that they froze themselves circa 2015, and humanity kept on chugging along until it started to fall apart.  So yeah, technology would have advanced, but they wouldn't have had access to it, because they were frozen.  If those quarters were supposed to have been along with all of those other things they preserved, they wouldn't have been covered in schmutz.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1

They're up in the mountains, so they easily could have said that there is no cell signal.  But even if they did that, it would still be obvious they're cut off.  There's no road that leaves and everyone knows there's a huge wall around the town.  It's not like you'd build a wall around the town and still let people call home.  The lack of cell phones/Internet has little to do with isolation and everything to do with not allowing people to realize they were taking in different years, in my opinion.

But even with no cell signal there are still regular phones (that some people still have).  The fact that there's no way to contact anyone or hear any news makes it very apparent that these people are prisoners.  There's not really anything Pilcher can do about that.  Either he has to tell them what's going on or make it obvious they are prisoners.  Based on what happened with group A, I get why he's chosen the prisoner aspect, I just don't get why they waited 12 years to make a bomb. If Ethan was shown to be a catalyst for getting Kate involved with the rebels it would make sense, but it doesn't seem that's the case.  So it's just a little contrived.

• Love 1

Off topic.

I was on jury duty today and web ad to walk from the old building to the new one. To get there you had to go down a hall, down two flight, down a long tunnel with a ramp, up floor flights.

I muttered, we're going to wayward pines and got a laugh.

I do think it's very contrived. I wish the reveal weren't all there is but have a sinking feeling it is.

That means Pilcher would have had to have Hassler record it and manage to retain it for 2000 years and have it ready just in case Kate got a fake outside line

"You have 324,679 unheard messages.  First unheard message:..."

Why hasn't the biology teacher had a few kids?  She could always farm them out to couples. 

From a meta point of view, if they really wanted us to believe it 4028 -- after Ethan got in the helicopter, they could have panned back to Boise, then showed us the usual landmark cities -- NYC, DC, LA, SF, etc.  Since we're seeing things outside Ethan's frame of reference anyway...

• Love 1

But, OMG, Ethan couldn't be any more annoying. Don't tell anyone = he'll tell any passing person with as much conviction as if he's making small talk: Nice weather we're having. Thought the climate might be different now that it's the year 4028 and all the rest of humanity outside of Wayward Pines was eaten by monsters. Well, have a nice day! Gotta run!

Literal LOL!

• Love 1
(edited)

The problem is that they have to finish the current mystery/twist before they can move on to other storylines.  If Ethan can't convince the rebels of the truth (of what must be the truth, given the high level of writing we've seen), sooner or later, someone will open the wall, or the rebellion will grow.  As it is, what will he do with the rebels?  He can't just let them go.  If he throws the bunch in prison, what will he tell the townsfolk about them?  It's a mess right now and will be until they dig themselves out from Under  the Dome the story so far.

Never mind convincing the rebels-- the show can't even convince *us*!

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 2

If i found myself in such a situation, i'd try to build a radio. If nothing else, i'd build a crystal set and look for news broadcasts.

• Love 1

My prediction for that metal object buried in the burned out lot: it's a vault with a suspended animation casule in it. But this one is not like the ones in WP Control HQ. This one contains Phillip K Dick.

• Love 2
(edited)

Surveillance:

There would be tons of ways to avoid this, there was what 1 person watching a screen of maybe 100-200 small panels of videos. The townsfolk would have certainly figured out that most of the town is not being watched.

I thought about this, but I think the answer is that the townsfolk do know that every single conversation can't be watched 24/7, because we've seen many of them take chances. True, they're always careful and wary, and talk in low tones or where "white noise" is happening, but they do have the interactions when they feel the need. If they felt every single conversation was being overheard, they wouldn't even do that.

Edited by Milburn Stone

If i found myself in such a situation, i'd try to build a radio. If nothing else, i'd build a crystal set and look for news broadcasts.

Maybe that's why Pilcher took obnoxious sexist real estate agents instead of people who can actually do useful stuff.

Never mind convincing the rebels-- the show can't even convince *us*!

This is the basic problem with the show.  After this many episodes, people shouldn't still be discussing whether it really is 4028 or not.  I'm inclined to believe the show is just as simple as it's being portrayed.  But there are so many things they haven't adequately explained so we tend to think there is more to it.

• Love 1

Regarding not having technology from after 2015, couldn't that just be because that's when Pilcher froze himself? If he was still around collecting people/supplies in 2095, he'd be over 100.

That's what I'm assuming since otherwise both Pam and Pilcher would be a lot older than they are. But where did they get the quarter from 2095 or whenever it was from? Maybe it was just lying around when they first woke up, before they built the wall. 

After this many episodes, people shouldn't still be discussing whether it really is 4028 or not.

How is that the fault of the show or the writers though? They (creators, writers, characters) have said that they are in the future (4028) so so many times and in so many different ways and you still have some people who stubbornly refuse to believe it..because IDK why? Because they'd rather have it be aliens, insanity, the government, or a dream?

I think people have grown so used to outlandish and super exaggerated explanations that when something is presented straightforward, they're suddenly displeased & nitpick.

That's what I'm assuming since otherwise both Pam and Pilcher would be a lot older than they are. But where did they get the quarter from 2095 or whenever it was from? Maybe it was just lying around when they first woke up, before they built the wall.

The creepy teacher (can't remember her name) said the quarter was all that remained of the old civilization. I think they must have gone on some kind of archeological dig and found the coin. That was the impression I got. If it had been frozen with them, it would look new like everything else.

They (creators, writers, characters) have said that they are in the future (4028) so so many times and in so many different ways and you still have some people who stubbornly refuse to believe it..because IDK why? Because they'd rather have it be aliens, insanity, the government, or a dream?

I'd prefer another explanation because if it really is 4028, I'm going to have 4,028 reasons why that's impossible.

• Love 6
The creepy teacher (can't remember her name) said the quarter was all that remained of the old civilization. I think they must have gone on some kind of archeological dig and found the coin. That was the impression I got. If it had been frozen with them, it would look new like everything else.

They probably found the quarter when they rebuilt Wayward Pines -- because WP most likely continued to operate as a town until civilization finally fell (sometime after the 2096 date on that quarter), and they would have had to excavate the entire town and completely rebuild starting with underground power, water and sewer lines.  So with all that digging, they probably found lots of buried crap including quarters.

• Love 2

He did actually complain about the lack of wifi when they first arrived.  But if he did get all strung out about it, we'd hear even more complaints about "annoying teens".  I actually don't have a problem with that character, and neither do my two older kids (a son in high school and a daughter in middle school).

He's not trying to convince them it's 2014.  Remember, Beverly thought it was 2000 or 2001, while Kate presumably thinks it's 2026.  The idea is not to have any technology more advanced than the year people left, and not have people talk about the past so they don't compare notes and realize they are on different timelines.

Nothing like seeing someone you know, and thought you saw just a few weeks ago, be 12 years older (or for that matter, 12 years younger than you think they'd be). Doesn't require any talking at all to see something's out of whack. Why they'd insert two people (well, 4, counting the wife and kid) who knew each other and awaken them at different times is a bit of a mystery.

How do you fake someone getting her throat slit in front of hundreds of witnesses or the decomposing body of someone else who underwent the same ritual some time earlier?

Look, sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar.

Special effects are amazing these days. Basically you'd just need fake skin, and the equivalent of a squib (fake blood filled pellet that explodes) only with more liquid.  It looks realistic enough on enormous HD screens, I don't see why a simpler version wouldn't be just as compelling to the townsfolk at night and no closer than ten feet away. I actually thought way the sheriff cut Beverly's throat looked pretty odd at the time.

I have a different theory about the reckonings, but I'm going to wait and see. But really, as everyone says, it's pretty darn complicated with lots of stuff that looks like intractable contradictions and loopholes. But I'm enjoying it nevertheless.