Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Betrayal

Ethan finds a bomb planted in his car, which leads him to question people he thought he could trust; Kate and Harold discuss their fertility issues with Nurse Pam; Ben's relationship with Amy heats up.

Woah. That episode was a stinker.

Agreed, I've felt that it lost a lot of its luster after the twist, it's why I've been worried about the possible long term aspect of this show.

• Love 4
(edited)

Despite Pilcher's warning not to tell anyone about what he knows, the first thing Ethan does is tell Theresa.  Yet there was no phone call telling him to either stop it or reckon Theresa.  Of course Theresa doesn't believe him.

Then when the family jumps in the Sheriff's truck to leave for the day, Ethan notices that clock on the dash is flashing 12:00, so he tells Theresa and Ben to walk while he checks the car.  And he finds a pipe bomb under the hood which he manages to disable.

Since when has Ethan ever worn glasses ?  All of a sudden he has glasses on as he's examining the pipe bomb.

The numbers on Franklin Dobbs file produce the dates 12162004 and 07094017 -- so Dobbs has been in WP 11 years, almost as long as Kate.

Hold on -- something weird is going on.  Theresa goes back to Lot 33 after she drops off Ben at school (and is rebuffed by Mrs. Fisher about even going into the school for a tour) and she passes the same woman with a dog and a guy with a briefcase as she did at the end of the day last episode.  Even the shadows are in the same direction despite the fact it was evening last episode and early morning this episode. Or is this just a continuation of the scene from last episode -- but it seems odd to intercut it with events from this episode. How is that possible unless its Truman Show-ish and those two people were always waiting for Theresa to come down the street ?  

While walking across the property, she notices something loose under her feet, and goes into the abandoned shed that is full of empty bottles and rebar.  Using the rebar she pounds down and finds something metal under the surface covered in grass and clutter.

Mrs. Fisher teaching Sex Ed class -- it's kind of creepy as she's preaching that procreation is Job # 1. I think Ford Motors wants its tagline back.  When she's describing Ben and Amy as two perfect puzzle pieces that go together, it's not helping.  Shouldn't she also be talking about genetic diversity in a small population, and how that will need to play out.

Why is Pilcher concerned about couples having their own children -- a process encouraged by Nurse Pam and her fertility clinics ?  How does that translate into insurrection and rebellion ?

Ethan has a little chat with Franklin Dobbs about him being a former explosives engineer, and Dobbs leaves the Biergarten in a rush.  Ethan follows him to the Excellent Bean where Dobbs meets with Harold -- and tries to take him back to the Sheriff's office but he bolts and almost gets run down by a car as Ethan apprehends him.  Harold confesses and Ethan lets him go -- and sends a note home with Harold for Kate to meet him.

Ethan tries to tell Kate what's going on but backs off, but gives her the ultimatum to turn over all the explosives and the names of the rebels the next day.  Which causes Kate and Harold to accelerate their timetable.

Never has a fertility appointment ever seemed more ... threatening.  Get knocked up or else -- that seems to be the gist of things from Nurse Pam.

Hold on -- how did Kate get an outside line to a voicemail a week after she showed up in Wayward Pines ?  A voicemail that was left by Agent Hassler from the Seattle office telling her to lay low and blend in since she was part of a gov't experiment.  That means Pilcher would have had to have Hassler record it and manage to retain it for 2000 years and have it ready just in case Kate got a fake outside line.  WTF ?  I'm starting to think that maybe there's a slim possibility it isn't 4028 after all.

Turns out it was Ted the delivery guy that put the pipe bomb in Ethan's truck. Ted -- you rebel scum.

Where did they get the super duper electronic timer for the bomb at the fence since there is virtually no sign of high tech gear anywhere in WP with the exception of the surveillance gear ?  For rebels they really are bad at this -- they all gather around the fence where they are going to place the bomb so they can hightail it out of there.  Don't they know that they should really create a diversion first ?  After threatening Kate, Dobbs disarms the bomb and Ethan takes everyone to jail but apparently leaves the bomb at the fence.

Amy is not so subtle with hints to Ben -- for example, when she tells him that she has a sweet spot to show him, even though she does say say they are going to a meadow somewhere, I don't think that's what she really meant.

The hunt is on for the 2nd bomb -- Pam and Ethan figure out the bomb is with Ted the delivery guy, but they don't know that Amy and Ben hitched a ride in the back of the delivery truck.  Amy finds the music box/bomb and as they listen to the music they make out in the back of the truck separated from the bomb by a stack of bags.  As Ethan chases the truck -- and somehow the rebels knew that Ethan would be chasing the delivery truck down a specific street as they roll a garbage bin into the middle of the road that Ethan hits and disables his Sheriff's truck. How did the rebels know that Ethan would take that side street ? As Ethan chases the truck down Main Street on foot, the bomb starts to smoke and go off (I'm pretty sure that's not how plastic explosives work).  As Ethan catches up with the truck, he finds Amy standing next to the truck after being blown through the side of the truck, with Ben on lying on the street looking at least unconscious.  I've got to say that was one pretty weak ass bomb -- how did they expect to blow a hole in the fence with that ?  It barely wrecked the rear corner of a delivery truck and didn't even shred to pieces the two kids in the back with it.  I imagine Ted the driver wasn't even hurt (though he might have some ringing in his ears).  That fireball should have burnt both kids -- Amy's hair at the minimum -- and the woman crossing the street that caused the delivery truck to stop seems to have disappeared.  You would think she would have noticed two kids lying in the street after the explosion and gone to help.  I like how Amy and Ben seemed to magically appear out of thin air beside the truck after the explosion (almost like a CGI effect). 

Why didn't Ethan simply feel for a pulse on Ben instead of yelling at him to wake up ?  He probably has head trauma from the explosion and then landing on the street -- if he survived he probably won't be awake for a while.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 7
(edited)

Ethan is between a rock and a hard place. Karen et al. are never going to believe him. They have to see the truth for themselves like Ethan had to before believing the truth, but there is no predicting how they will react to the truth. Will they react like Group A and go insane or give into despair over time or will Ethan be able to help them accept the truth and adjust like he has?

Edited by SimoneS

When people are going to the extremes of planting bombs then open the gate and let them out. Ethan's bargaining chip should have been stop the dissident actions, bring me the bombs, we'll let you go, and if you want back in 24 hours you can come back. Rumspringa works people. There is a high retention rate.

• Love 23

I liked this ep better than last week's. I hate the idea that they are in 2048 and when the reveal came, and we heard all the "tell" rather than "show" last wk I was regretting watching this series.

Too many questions regarding it being 2048. It's just not believable. After tonight I think I'd prefer that it is a government experiment, that the abbies are actors or whatever.

I'd like to know why the rebels just didn't gang up on Ethan when he caught them at the fence. There was at least 6 of them. They could have easily overtaken him despite him having a gun.

The whole procreation thing is creepy, mating the kids up and having those fertility chats with nurse Pam.

The rebels knew where to leave their dumpster because Ethan was following the bomber/trucker guys route which is apparently always the same. That's how Ethan knew where to follow.

Yeah, that was a weakass bomb.

The kids being on the side of the road was kind of unbelievable. And that the girl would even be mobile so quickly. Still better than last wk's info dump.

The last few eps I've just been watching out of committment, not out of any pleasure, but now I have hopes that something else besides 4028 is going on so that gets me interested again.

• Love 4

So lame. I liked how Ethan was doing better at catching the truck on foot than he was while driving his own vehicle. The sex angle is creepy as hell. I was expecting HypnoTeach to tell Ben and Amy to start getting it on right in front of the class so she could give them pointers about their technique.

So now what? Ben is either dead or almost-dead which will infuriate Ethan. He'll blame the rebels but then maybe side with them when he refuses to reckon them and Pam & Pilcher go ballistic on him? At this point I don't really care, but I'll ride out the last 3 eps. It wouldn't break my heart if Ben is dead. Not seeing that kid act for the final 3 episodes would be one redeeming factor.

• Love 4
(edited)
The last few eps I've just been watching out of committment, not out of any pleasure, but now I have hopes that something else besides 4028 is going on so that gets me interested again.

The two things that really stand out for me for something else:  1) The voicemail from Agent Hassler that Kate heard after she woke up in WP, and 2) the scene extras when Theresa visited Lot 33 the 2nd time were exactly the same as the first time.

ETA: 

I was expecting HypnoTeach to tell Ben and Amy to start getting it on right in front of the class so she could give them pointers about their technique.

It would have been funny if they had gone the Monty Python route with the sex education scene from 'The Meaning of Life'.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

When people are going to the extremes of planting bombs then open the gate and let them out. Ethan's bargaining chip should have been stop the dissident actions, bring me the bombs, we'll let you go, and if you want back in 24 hours you can come back. Rumspringa works people. There is a high retention rate.

It's what I predicted would happen because it was obvious keeping them in the dark was going to backfire on them.

First bad episode of the season? Feels like we're finally seeing the downside of revealing so many secrets so early, because this was absolutely treading water.

This is why I worry about the long term prospect of the show, this is the first episode after both the twist/backstory/exposition and the air seems to be let out.

So lame. I liked how Ethan was doing better at catching the truck on foot than he was while driving his own vehicle. The sex angle is creepy as hell. I was expecting HypnoTeach to tell Ben and Amy to start getting it on right in front of the class so she could give them pointers about their technique.

So now what? Ben is either dead or almost-dead which will infuriate Ethan. He'll blame the rebels but then maybe side with them when he refuses to reckon them and Pam & Pilcher go ballistic on him? At this point I don't really care, but I'll ride out the last 3 eps. It wouldn't break my heart if Ben is dead. Not seeing that kid act for the final 3 episodes would be one redeeming factor.

No matter what happens, the people are doomed either way so it's hard to feel investment for any of them even if I actually cared about any of these bland characters.  They're in a no win situation no matter the outcome.

• Love 2
(edited)

Tonight in Melissa Leo and Hope Davis try to make sex sound creepy and no fun: well, actually it wasn't much of a contest.  Pam all "Dammit you two!  Quick dicking around start popping out kids!  We're on a deadline here people!" was a nice attempt, but nothing, I repeat, nothing will top the way Hope Davis was leering over Ben and Amy about future kids for Wayward Pines.  Damn, that was disturbing.  Settle down, lady!  If they ever do the deed, I just hope it's away from any of the cameras, or that wacko would probably be eating popcorn and watching the show.

So, Ethan tries to explain to both Theresa and Karen about what really is going on, but of course, they think he was brainwashed or something.  Karen, Harold, and the rest of the rebellion's (including Canadian actor veteran, Ian Tracey!) plan is to basically blow up the fence and get out.  Ethan stops one of the bombs, but the other goes off early, thanks to Ben and Amy picking the truck to go to their make-out spot.  Amy seems fine, but now Ben is on death's door.  So, this probably means Ethan is going to go full-blown anti-rebels now, so this will get worse for everyone.

Hey, they actually mentioned Agent Hassler again.  I was wondering what ever the hell happened to him.

Dr. Pilcher is being all doom and gloom again, thanks to the rebellion.  He's such a drama queen!

I swear to God, if the mysterious thing in Plot 33, ends up being a goddamn hatch.....

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 8

'What happened to your arm'? 'Oh you probably won't believe this honey but all the cities have been destroyed, the world is full of monsters and we've been in suspneded animation for 2,000 yrs'. Really? That's his way of breaking the news to her.  Ditto with Kate. And Kate thinks that maybe she's part of some scenario where another agent is sent in to 'test' her but it might take 12 years? After her creepy, intimidating old boss tells her that people get killed for snooping around, Teresa just goes straight back to tell him she found something weird in Plot 33 anyway? And what was the point of the plot to assasinate Ethan exactly? Especially before the bomb was going on the wall - guaranteeing that the Pilcher crew would then be hyper vigilant. Even the relationships between the characters seemed bizarrely different to the previous episode, as if they were part of two different versions of the show spliced together.  Including the reuse of the first half of the Kate at Plot 33 scene. 

• Love 9

At least the kids weren't being told to procreate within the confines of marriage...there's that. Just screw like bunnies kids! 

Hassler is completely in on this. I bet he has luxury suite #2 up at Headquarters.

Kate is pretty awesome. I'd have gone crazy by this time. I might even have had sex with either Ted or Harold.

What the hell is sexist real-estate boss dude's purpose? 

• Love 7

My guess is that Plot 33 is some kind of underground shelter which will conveniently allow Ethan and whoever else ends up on his good side to hide in while maraduing abbies take care of anyone else that is excess to narrative needs. 

• Love 5

Were we supposed to be anxious at the "suspense" of the kids being in the back of the truck with the bomb? Cause I really don't care what happens to the kids.

In fact, that's the problem with this series... I really don't care about ANY of them. I wouldn't have wanted to watch all season with no idea of what's going on, but if they wanted to do the big reveal 1/2 way through, then they needed to find a way to engage the audience for the rest of it and they haven't. Because they haven't given me a reason to care.

And why does Theresa think she and Kate are looking at things the same way? Hasn't Kate mentioned in Theresa's hearing that she (Kate) has been there for 12 years? Theresa KNOWS that isn't true. For that matter, why doesn't Kate realize that if 12 years have gone by, Theresa and Ethan should be older? Or if it's too hard to guess the ages of adults (even though they would be in her peer group) she ought to at least question why the son isn't a grown-up yet! He wasn't 3 when she had her affair with Ethan!... Are we supposed to believe she knew NOTHING about his family or that Ethan never mentioned his son in a way that indicated he was older than a toddler?

Gawd, this show is dumb.

• Love 12
(edited)

I swear to God, if the mysterious thing in Plot 33, ends up being a goddamn hatch.....

When Theresa was banging on that metal, I kind of expected a bright light to appear going straight up in the air.  If they find Desmond down there, there's certainly something else going on other than a time jump.  <snark>

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 11

When Theresa was banging on that metal, I kind of expected a bright light to appear going straight up in the air.  If they find Desmond down there, there's certainly something else going on than a time jump.  <snark>

When I hear metal where I expect there to be only dirt, the first thing I always do is rummage around in a dark dirty shed for a piece of rebar to bang on it. I would NEVER just squat down and try to brush off some dirt to see what's under it.

Then I would go back to my creepy harrassing boss who told me not to ask about lot 33 and tell him I just went to lot 33 and ask him about it.

Yeah... That's what I'd do for sure!

• Love 22

It's what I predicted would happen because it was obvious keeping them in the dark was going to backfire on them.

No matter what happens, the people are doomed either way so it's hard to feel investment for any of them even if I actually cared about any of these bland characters.  They're in a no win situation no matter the outcome.

I almost feel as though the story of Group A would be more interesting. How they tried to cope with being abducted against their will many years ago only to be woken up to help a guy with a God complex fulfill his ambitions (all against their will), and ultimately what finally pushed them over the edge.

As for doomed people, ever read the novel Titan by Stephen Baxter? One of the reviews on Amazon calls it, "Incredibly, unrelentingly, poundingly bleak" and that's pretty accurate.

• Love 2
(edited)

What the hell is sexist real-estate boss dude's purpose?

I can't think of one reason that asshole would be there for the brave new world except that He is someone important's brother-in-law.

Amy was really ready to do her biology homework. ;-) And ditto on what a lame ass bomb!

I want the 4028 to be bullshit, too. I'd like to see a bunch of "Abbies" on break, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 15

Were we supposed to be anxious at the "suspense" of the kids being in the back of the truck with the bomb? Cause I really don't care what happens to the kids.

Note to casting staff: if you cast a couple of kids and put them in a life threatening situation and your audience Doesn't Care if they live, you've failed. Miserably.

I may be in the minority here, but I just don't like Matt Dillon. There's something unpleasant to me about his brow. And his acting style. So I'm not secretly hoping he also dies. Kate's husband seems nice. Make him sheriff.

Thuganomics, thanks for identifying Ian Tracey for me. I was going crazy playing Who's That Guy? How 'bout we make him the sheriff.

• Love 3

In fact, that's the problem with this series... I really don't care about ANY of them. I wouldn't have wanted to watch all season with no idea of what's going on, but if they wanted to do the big reveal 1/2 way through, then they needed to find a way to engage the audience for the rest of it and they haven't. Because they haven't given me a reason to care.

And why does Theresa think she and Kate are looking at things the same way? Hasn't Kate mentioned in Theresa's hearing that she (Kate) has been there for 12 years? Theresa KNOWS that isn't true. For that matter, why doesn't Kate realize that if 12 years have gone by, Theresa and Ethan should be older? Or if it's too hard to guess the ages of adults (even though they would be in her peer group) she ought to at least question why the son isn't a grown-up yet! He wasn't 3 when she had her affair with Ethan!... Are we supposed to believe she knew NOTHING about his family or that Ethan never mentioned his son in a way that indicated he was older than a toddler?

Gawd, this show is dumb.

Exactly, the twist/mystery was the only thing they had going for them, because the characters really aren't cutting it.

• Love 1

I've adopted a bit of a wait and see approach, but it's starting to get awfully late in the game for the story to establish anything particularly memorable or unique. I do like the twist but they're not really doing anything interesting with it yet.

The lead characters are bland, and they're not too bright. I don't necessarily have a problem with the later... characters should be flawed and if poor decision making were a character attribute that fleshed out a character it's fine. But I get annoyed when characters make poor decisions to advance the plot. Ethan could have made the story believable by addressing the age anomaly. It's the one thing that those people have experienced "truth" is the only adequate explanation for. But he doesn't... he only tells them the most outlandish aspects of the story and does nothing to try and convince them of its veracity, even though it is vital that he get them on the same page. Why? Well because the plot requires the other characters not believe him.

Even if Kate doesn't find it unusual that Ethan and Theresa haven't aged, she must have known Ethan had a teenage son and it's apparent he hasn't aged as well, which has to be next to impossible to overlook. Overlooking it maintains the conflict, which will now deepen because the son is hurt or dead.

I doubt he's dead dead incidentally, though he probably should be given he was blown up by something designed by a demolitions expert to take down a giant concrete wall. The thing is, I don't really care if he is dead or not... and that means something essential is not happening between myself and this show.

• Love 3

I almost feel as though the story of Group A would be more interesting. How they tried to cope with being abducted against their will many years ago only to be woken up to help a guy with a God complex fulfill his ambitions (all against their will), and ultimately what finally pushed them over the edge.

Agreed, they would've been more interesting.

• Love 4

I've adopted a bit of a wait and see approach, but it's starting to get awfully late in the game for the story to establish anything particularly memorable or unique. I do like the twist but they're not really doing anything interesting with it yet.

The lead characters are bland, and they're not too bright. I don't necessarily have a problem with the later... characters should be flawed and if poor decision making were a character attribute that fleshed out a character it's fine. But I get annoyed when characters make poor decisions to advance the plot. Ethan could have made the story believable by addressing the age anomaly. It's the one thing that those people have experienced "truth" is the only adequate explanation for. But he doesn't... he only tells them the most outlandish aspects of the story and does nothing to try and convince them of its veracity, even though it is vital that he get them on the same page. Why? Well because the plot requires the other characters not believe him.

Even if Kate doesn't find it unusual that Ethan and Theresa haven't aged, she must have known Ethan had a teenage son and it's apparent he hasn't aged as well, which has to be next to impossible to overlook. Overlooking it maintains the conflict, which will now deepen because the son is hurt or dead.

I doubt he's dead dead incidentally, though he probably should be given he was blown up by something designed by a demolitions expert to take down a giant concrete wall. The thing is, I don't really care if he is dead or not... and that means something essential is not happening between myself and this show.

It is late, there's only 10 episodes for the season so there's only 3 more left, so it's very fair to judge.

The problem with the characters is that they're just there to service to plot: the son with the school plot, Theresa figuring out Lot 33/the town itself, Ethan being the Sheriff/learning about WP's secrets, etc.

• Love 3

It seems as if the show is finally "getting to the point" , which actually makes it more watchable. 

I appreciated the rebels plan included a distraction for the sheriff and that there was a second bomb. I did not expect anyone on this show to be clever.

But I do want the rebels to blow a hole in the fence and see the consequences. Although... even if they were attacked by the monsters, it would not convince some of the people that the entire world was gone and 2000 years had passed.

Pilcher (sp?) should have had better contingency plans (like the truth) or done a better job of psychological screening before choosing (kidnapping) his residents (victims). 

Because Ethan's ex-mistress is correct -- the townspeople are prisoners.  

• Love 2
(edited)

If your big escape plan hinges on a bomb that when set off early accidentally doesn't even obliterate the truck it was in and two teenagers who were less than six feet away from it, how the fuck could it possibly blast through what looked like a 3-feet thick wall? The kids bare minimum should've lost some limbs for it to have any kind of impact. I mean, I get Ben might be dead, so, implied impact? But they were both way too uninjured.

Also, Amy, chick, I know the engine makes noise and stuff but when you've snuck in somewhere and someone who would catch you is not so far away, normally you don't want to do anything that's guaranteed to make noise? This covers both music boxes and sex. She's such a creepy pod person. Drank the kool-aid and is somehow stealthy-but-not-stealthy.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 12

Have they ever explained why Kate is tweve years older than when Ethan last saw her, despite the fact that they each had their accidents just a few weeks apart? She questions Ethan's claim that it's 2,000 years into the future, but doesn't bat an eye over this little anomaly.

How did the horny duo end up outside the truck after the explosion? And if that puny bomb was supposed to take down the wall, these dopes deserve to be hanged.

• Love 2

Hold on -- how did Kate get an outside line to a voicemail a week after she showed up in Wayward Pines ?  A voicemail that was left by Agent Hassler from the Seattle office telling her to lay low and blend in since she was part of a gov't experiment.  That means Pilcher would have had to have Hassler record it and manage to retain it for 2000 years and have it ready just in case Kate got a fake outside line.

Hmmm. I got the impression that Kate actually was sent to Wayward Pines in 2014, along with her partner (the one whose body Ethan found in the old house in the premiere), so she'd have been able to get an outside line back then when there was still a world, and phones, and Seattle, and other people. I can't remember what she said she was supposed to be investigating -- disappearances in the area? The scientist himself? I took that to imply some people wound up in Wayward Pines not because they were targeted for abduction, like the doctor, but because they got there on their own (which can explain people like the otherwise useless harassing boss being there as well).

But then another poster suggested the agent was in on it. Maybe he funneled Kate and her partner there on purpose? And then sent Ethan there too? And Ethan's wife followed after she refused the scientist's offer to go willingly, and got there anyway? I'm probably overthinking this, but I did get the sense that the development of Wayward Pines overlapped the 'real world' of 2014 in some way.

• Love 2

This is why I'm hoping for a different explanation either aside from or in addition to what we've already been told about it being 4028. As it stands, Kate, Harold, and a handful of Red Shirts either escape the town and get eaten by Abbies or they get reckoned. Abbies either invade the town and kill everyone, or the volunteers can repair the wall and everyone remains a clueless prisoner. Aside from the fact that we know Kate is leading the rebel faction, the plot hasn't advanced at all in the last two episodes.

And if Kate and Harold are trying to escape, then why did they report Beverly and Ethan when they tried to escape? I mean, I don't really care about the answer, but the question did occur to me.

Another puzzlement: why would anyone want to have sex with Ben? Dude is the definition of slack-jawed.

• Love 7
(edited)
Have they ever explained why Kate is tweve years older than when Ethan last saw her, despite the fact that they each had their accidents just a few weeks apart? She questions Ethan's claim that it's 2,000 years into the future, but doesn't bat an eye over this little anomaly.

Kate was just defrosted first.  Her partner Bill only showed up 3 years ago.  You would think that having Bill Evans show up 9 years after Kate got there, and Bill hasn't aged a day, would have sent up some red flags to Kate. So when Ethan showed up after she had been there for 12 years (and he also hasn't aged) and Ethan started talking about being defrosted after 2000 years, she might put two and two together.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

If your big escape plan hinges on a bomb that when set off early accidentally doesn't even obliterate the truck it was in and two teenagers who were less than six feet away from it, how the fuck could it possibly blast through what looked like a 3-feet thick wall? The kids bare minimum should've lost some limbs for it to have any kind of impact. I mean, I get Ben might be dead, so, implied impact? But they were both way too uninjured.

Also, Amy, chick, I know the engine makes noise and stuff but when you've snuck in somewhere and someone who would catch you is not so far away, normally you don't want to do anything that's guaranteed to make noise? This covers both music boxes and sex. She's such a creepy pod person. Drank the kool-aid and is somehow stealthy-but-not-stealthy.

The bomb need not to be powerful remember not all the wall is made of thick concrete specially the doors which is made of metal probably aluminum or other lighter metals, because of the way it opens upward ( episodes 3 when sheriff pope died and door opened and 4 when peter gets electrocuted). The doors are only protected by live electrical.
  • Love 1
(edited)

As it stands, Kate, Harold, and a handful of Red Shirts either escape the town and get eaten by Abbies or they get reckoned. Abbies either invade the town and kill everyone, or the volunteers can repair the wall and everyone remains a clueless prisoner.

Or another option: regime change and rebuilding? I usually see postapocalyptic stuff as political/social commentary so that's where I can see it going (in this case rise up against the god-playing dictator, and Ethan's clearly in favor of democracy as given in his conversations with the scientist). But that's probably my interpretive bias.

Edited by mercurius
  • Love 1

Or another option: regime change and rebuilding? I usually see postapocalyptic stuff as political/social commentary so that's probably where I would take it (in this case rise up against the god-playing dictator, and Ethan's clearly in favor of democracy as given in his conversations with the scientists). But that's probably my interpretive bias.

I think just from the title of the last episode which i saw from wiki " a cycle ". They would probably start again with a new generation because the supposably first gen. will die because of what Kate's group would do.

What do you think?

Aside from the fact that we know Kate is leading the rebel faction, the plot hasn't advanced at all in the last two episodes.

It's also a drawback to the post twist, all we have left is waiting for the inevitable rebellion to happen.

I still really like this show. It's so disheartening to always read such negativity about so many different shows on this board. Why watch and comment then?

On another note, Pam calls Kate and her husband a young couple that should have kids? Kate's about 40? Not exactly young to have a child.

• Love 8
(edited)

They would probably start again with a new generation because the supposably first gen. will die because of what Kate's group would do.

Well, Wayward Pines: The Next Generation is certainly a way to get season 2.

On another note, Pam calls Kate and her husband a young couple that should have kids? Kate's about 40? Not exactly young to have a child.

I thought that was why Pam was so...insistent. In a chop, chop, time is running out sort of way.

Edited by mercurius
  • Love 3

I still really like this show. It's so disheartening to always read such negativity about so many different shows on this board. Why watch and comment then?

It's a message board and usually criticisms tend to be more vocal.

• Love 2

Since Agent Hassler mentioned that there might be another agent coming and to be wary ... he is obviously in on things. If this really is 4028, then I bet that he was frozen too and in the bunker. That would also address his being able to answer the phone.

To deal with the rebels - simple - let a few out and show the rest of the town what happens to them. But Pilcher seems to be getting wackier and wackier and has no clue about human behavior.

But I am still thinking that its not really 4028 and that this is some type of experiment.

• Love 3

Here's what really doesn't jibe for me: every time Theresa asks her boss about the vacant lot - or anything else - he tries to shut her down, telling her to mind her own business, quit asking questions, etc. etc. Why doesn't she simply say "You know my husband is the Sheriff, right? I could just ask him to investigate this you know." I mean, it seems to me she has the most "power" in the whole town aside from the people running the show behind the scenes, and everyone in town seems to be obeying Ethan, so why doesn't she throw her weight around a little? Why did she let the crazy teacher get away with telling her she couldn't come inside the school? Threaten to call your husband the Sheriff, Theresa!

Yeah, the premise is falling apart now that Ethan (and we) know the whole story, if what we're being told is true.

• Love 7

As this show winds down, the thing that is really bugging me is that there were so many weird things going on initially that will probably go forever unexplained.  For example, Beverly….How did she know where Ethan could find the dead FBI agent's body, and what did she mean when she said she had always believed him?  And why on earth were the dead bodies placed in a rundown dilapidated house anyway?  These are just a couple of the many things I was curious about that I doubt will play out with only 3 episodes left. 

After this episode, I was almost ready to say the hell with it and go read the books, but a friend of mine who has read them (and has similar reading tastes to mine) said they weren't all that great, so I guess I'll just sit back and watch the rest of the show play out.

• Love 6

Here's what really doesn't jibe for me: every time Theresa asks her boss about the vacant lot - or anything else - he tries to shut her down, telling her to mind her own business, quit asking questions, etc. etc. Why doesn't she simply say "You know my husband is the Sheriff, right? I could just ask him to investigate this you know." I mean, it seems to me she has the most "power" in the whole town aside from the people running the show behind the scenes, and everyone in town seems to be obeying Ethan, so why doesn't she throw her weight around a little? Why did she let the crazy teacher get away with telling her she couldn't come inside the school? Threaten to call your husband the Sheriff, Theresa!

Yeah, the premise is falling apart now that Ethan (and we) know the whole story, if what we're being told is true.

Agreed, we already know the big secret of WP, so anymore of this trying to be mysterious doesn't really work anymore.

The problem is that the premise doesn't work well for the long term especially after revealing it halfway into the season.

If Ethan was smart (HAH!), he'd have gathered up a ton of guns and told Kate to meet him were he shot Pope.  Activate the garage opener and let a few Abbies in.  If they get a few of the rebels, oh well.  But the rest are going to fall in line, right quick.

Why doesn't she simply say "You know my husband is the Sheriff, right? I could just ask him to investigate this you know." 

Even easier -- Theresa should have told Ethan "There's something weird at Plot 33.  I'd like an official investigation."  She didn't need to tell sexist asshat anything.

If procreation is so damn important, why not just knock everyone of an appropriate age out, collect eggs and sperm, mix and match and implant.  Or put a camera in the bedroom and when they don't get it on, haul them in.

• Love 3
(edited)

Look show, let's get one thing straight: Matt Dillon is NOT going to be a grandfather. Not on my screen. I tune in each week to watch him with his furrowed brow try to figure things out, and then occasionally soften that look into something charming. That's it. 

And as far as baby-making goes, if it has been 12 years for Group B of, let's say 5,000 people (total guess) and only 2 people have finally given in and decided to have sex, there might be a problem with the evil doctor's plan to procreate.  Clearly nobody in "volunteer world" is doing the deed either. White middle-class suburban humanity is on its way out, as far as I can tell, despite all of the nice appliances.

Edited by beeble
  • Love 2

And if Kate and Harold are trying to escape, then why did they report Beverly and Ethan when they tried to escape? I mean, I don't really care about the answer, but the question did occur to me.

I believe Kate told Ethan that she wasn't the one who reported him and Beverly. I wasn't sure she was telling the truth, but since she's in on the rebellion, I guess it really was someone else.

• Love 1