Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 7/20/15

I am super, super excited about Ta-Nehisi Coates, who is a longtime favorite of mine (I went to a book signing in San Francisco for his first book several years ago and was one of like 20 people in the audience -- I recently bought tix to his local appearance in October, which is in a 1600-seat theater).

7/20: Paul Rudd (actor – promoting movie “Ant-Man”)
7/21: TBA
7/22: Jake Gyllenhaal (actor – promoting movie “Southpaw”)
7/23: Ta-Nehisi Coates (author – promoting book “Between the World and Me”)

• Love 2

I've lost track of where it was originally stated, but Ta-Nehisi Coates is in my quotes file for the simple but oft-denied:

"It is comforting to think of racism as species of misanthropy, or akin to child molestation, thus exonerating all those who bear no real hatred in their heart. It’s much more troubling to think of it as it’s always been—a means of political organization and power distribution.”

• Love 1
(edited)

7/21: TBA

What's going on with the 21st? The ticket availability for that day is wonky too, it's the only day you can't actually click on. Even though the other days for that week are sold out, you can still click on it and have the drop down tell you that. The 21st is just not clickable. It's a recent development, maybe the last week or so it's been like that. But it was definitely clickable when the tickets that week were released. Can't be a rerun because it's just after break. Has to be something big.

Edited by solotrek
(edited)

Well got my answer:

The #DailyShow returns next week w/ new episodes, including Jon's final interview w/ @POTUS​ Barack Obama, Tues, 7/21 http://

Edit To Add: Well the 21st is clickable on the ticket site now, but obviously sold out.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 2

I'm already tired of this Trump shit, which as I much as I love Jon, I don't want to see his final run of episodes as Trumpcentric.  It would be such a depressing endgame for him, and really show why he's leaving, imo.  This is part of the reason I stop watching from time to time, because the news is just so painful, I can't even watch it be satirized.  Of course, there are only 12 episodes to go, so I'll watch the pain.   Jon Stewart, I will miss you to the moon and back again. 

• Love 4

Good Lord, but Jon was right!  I've just realized that Donald Trump is the Troll Face given sentience and a human body!

I've always like Paul Rudd.  Even if that wasn't actually him that helped take down a gay basher at the Dallas Airport last year, I still like him.

• Love 2

Two weeks off and now only three weeks left of Jon. At least he has Donald Trump to keep him amused. It's quite ironic to listen to Republicans trash Trump for his disrespect of John McCain's military service. How many of them felt bad for swiftboating John Kerry in 2004? And as far as an openly asshole president, hello! George W. Bush anyone?!!

I wished they showed footage of Jon and Paul Rudd during Jon's practice hosting before he started. It would have made the circle complete.

Maybe Jon can get President Obama to say somehow he endorses Hillary Clinton in 2016. I doubt he can be successful.

• Love 6
And as far as an openly asshole president, hello! George W. Bush anyone?!!

I think he was considered more buffoonish. They're talking about personalities, rather than actions in office. 

Please, though. The other republicans *love* having Trump around. What question would you rather answer: "How do you respond to Trump's comments about __________?"  He's wrong and should apologize. I don't agree with him.

Or: "What parts of the Iran deal strike you as the most complicated? Do you think the reduction in the centrifuges will be enough to delay a pathway to a potential weapon?" 

They're getting a massive free pass by the media for having to come up with some policy positions. 

• Love 11
I was heartbroken to see that the first GOP debate (on Fox, no less!) is the same night as Jon's last show.

Why? I suspect Stewart will have fun with that. A parody debate, perhaps, featuring the entire gang of corresondents past and present.

I'll record one and watch the other live.

• Love 2

Sure, Donald Trump is the gift that keeps on giving if you're a comedian, but I kind of hope Jon doesn't spend the next three weeks focused on him. Seems like kind of a lazy route to take - it's a little too obvious. I mean, Trump could provide enough material for a segment every night for the next three weeks he's so absurd. Don't take the easy route out of here, Jon!

• Love 2
(edited)
"Yowza, he's grown into his looks and is really handsome now."

Dub, if you've never watched the PBS production of Twelfth Night (the one with Helen Hunt), Rudd opens the show with the 'If music be the food of love, play on' speech, and omg, sizzling. And that was a long time ago -- you can tell because it was when Helen Hunt still got good work.

Edited by attica
  • Love 1

I have seen that, attica. It's a great production. I remember reading reviews that mentioned how Rudd made that opening line sound so natural (as opposed to the cliché its familiarity has made it). I prefer Rudd without his Elizabethan hair length, hee.

• Love 1

So it begins. Three more weeks, one show down, eleven to go. It's hard to imagine not having Jon Stewart's take on things.

The interview with the president has already happened, as it was reported on in the news media. They must have taped in the middle of the afternoon. I wonder if there was no studio audience, or the audience was told to come early, or perhaps it was made up of friends and family of staff members.

The material on Trump was very funny, particularly "your hair is not fine" and the "he's not a war hero" statement being shown up and down and every which way. I also liked to segment on the "first openly asshole candidate." However, I would have preferred that they not do two segments on Trump, especially with all that is going on in the world. Trump craves attention above all else, and it has irritated me how the news media have been so all consumed with him for so many weeks. Then TDS fell right into lock step. I'm guessing that Jon wants to do what gives him the most joy these last weeks, but I do hope that his statement about "running out the clock," which he made sometime during the show, won't be taken too much to heart by his writers.

When Paul Rudd said "I love you, Jon Stewart" after all that silliness, I teared up a little.

• Love 2
(edited)

Tickets weren't released for the taping to the public for the most part. Seems like it was press corp and people with connections (or the connections themselves).

Edited by solotrek

It's quite ironic to listen to Republicans trash Trump for his disrespect of John McCain's military service. How many of them felt bad for swiftboating John Kerry in 2004?

The screen shot of Jeb Bush's tweet showed someone asking him that same question. I wish Jon had brought up this latest instance of their hypocrisy, but I see he was caught up in the comedy entrapment that is Trump.

I can't possibly watch the Republican debates (I stopped drinking long ago) and I'm sad that I won't have Dave or Jon to give me the highlights in a mocking, satirical way.

• Love 2

YESSSS!!! I want that executive order to go through. Of course the Republicans would find a way to overthrow it because they don't like to be pointed out how dumb and destructive they are by Jon.

Great and informative full episode of Jon interviewing President Obama. As much as I'll miss Jon after the final ten episodes, I'm really going to miss Obama once he leaves the White House.

• Love 11

One thing I love about Jon as an interviewer (especially when he's interviewing political figures) is that he asks questions the average person might be wondering about. For example, he asked the President, "whose side are we on in the Middle East?" Then, he gave the President time to explain why we are negotiating with Iran, and what we will get out of the deal (and won't get out of the deal).

And, the President's joke about Republicans complaint? "They wanted Dick Cheney at the negotiating table." :D

• Love 3

Great and informative full episode of Jon interviewing President Obama. As much as I'll miss Jon after the final ten episodes, I'm really going to miss Obama once he leaves the White House.

Me too. I'm sure he'll be the only president in my lifetime that I wish could have a third term.

• Love 5

I'm sure this has been answered when other high security guests have been on but what's the point of that little extended partition?  Is there some sort of security device hidden behind that?  Are they really worried about protecting legs?

(edited)

Is there some sort of security device hidden behind that?  Are they really worried about protecting legs?

Bulletproof. Secret service all around will dive on Obama or any guest who gets that and push them under there. Jon had mentioned it during a Letterman interview when talking about his Musharraf interview.

Edited by solotrek

I think the Iran deal will pass, and I think it will postpone any effort for Iran to make a weapon for the decade. I actually don't think they want the physical weapon, but this will stop them from stockpiling HEU. After that? Well, you can always negotiate again.

I'm glad Obama pointed out that no one ragging on the deal came up with a better alternative than "beat your chest harder" and threaten military action. I think military action in the middle east has been nearly exhausted and it's not working. 

I'm not a super politico, and I'm sure others have noticed this, but Obama has been calling back on Reagan extensively for these Iran negotiations and I think it's smart. The whole "trust, but verify" was from Reagan, and they're using the phrase in a different way. Obama was also correct to point out that the same problems happened during the arms reductions talks with the USSR. Obama doesn't have a Thatcher saying "we can work with him" though.

The only problem is I think people don't think Iran is a rational actor because of all the 'death to America' stuff. I tend to think they are.

I liked the idea of the selective service too.  

How many news programs thought to interview the MIT physicist to explain the Iran deal? President Obama is right; Jon is a gift to the country. I will miss them both.

• Love 5
I wonder if there was no studio audience, or the audience was told to come early, or perhaps it was made up of friends and family of staff members

Whoever it was, they were following the direction of the applause sign, or whatever was being used. There was a moment when Obama said something and stopped, clearly expecting applause, as was JS, and nothing happened for a second or two - then a sudden eruption of en masse applause, which then died down as suddenly en masse.

Obama is good at making his case, though the way he talks about conditions of the Iran deal being fact is a little surprising. i think one of the main objections to the deal is that some don't think the Iranians will honor many of its conditions, and the deal doesn't address that well enough. No discussion of that last night.

How many news programs thought to interview the MIT physicist to explain the Iran deal?

FWIW, I saw him on Rachel Maddow's show; I suspect he was/is Made Available to cheerlead for the deal. 

Although I thought it was adorkable that Jon (in quite evident discomfort, to my eyes anyway) talked over Bam's parting compliment, part of me wishes he hadn't. Bask in the respect of the POTUS, Jon! Catch these strewn garlands! Let us love you!

• Love 3

I noticed that too, Attica. In fact, I had to listen to it again in a second viewing to make out exactly what he had said.

Jon has spoken about his old days, when he was bartending in NJ and trying to make it in stand-up, and then ended up getting fired from so many jobs. What would he have thought if someone had told him that one day the President of the United States would want to come on one of his final shows?

• Love 4

i think one of the main objections to the deal is that some don't think the Iranians will honor many of its conditions, and the deal doesn't address that well enough. No discussion of that last night.

True but it's the same as saying there's no point in passing any gun control laws because criminals don't obey the law. If you follow that line of logic then there is no point in passing any laws at all. So if we don't trust Iran to honor this deal there's no point in trying to pass any kind of deal whatsoever? Then we should just go in and bomb them? Obama was diplomatic enough not to call out the war-hawks but he made it clear any critics of this deal need to spell out what their preferred alternative would be rather than just gripe about the deal.

• Love 9

Correct. We don't trust Iran; that's the point. They've agreed to the inspections. The proof of the deal is in the inspections. They also have to physically remove centrifuges and uranium. That's stuff that can be seen. If they drag their feet, there's a punishment process in place.

It's a fair criticism that it might be hard to reapply sanctions that have been lifted, but there's a new agreed upon procedure for that.

So what specific conditions won't they agree to? They can't get sanctions lifted if they don't do anything they said they'd do. What did the US give up? There's more monitoring on Iran than ever.

The only thing I heard otherwise was that Iran should have no enrichment capabilities. That just wasn't going to happen.

Obama and Kerry have said a million times that this isn't about trust. What's new is that they're treating is as a technical problem as well as political.

• Love 3
(edited)

I keep getting urgent messages from activist organizations, saying that Congresspeople are saying the calls they get from constituents are 10 to 1 AGAINST the deal, so if you want it to pass, call and let your Representative know. There is a coalition of groups (including everyone from MoveOn to CODEPINK and I forget who else, all under the banner of StopWarWithIran.com, which has a thing that will look up the number and dial the call for you, if you don't know your Representative's contact info.

This article ( http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/07/iran-nuclear-deal-goldberg-frum-beinart/398816/ ) talks back and forth about the deal (pro and con), and one of the arguments made by the pro-deal people is that the sanctions are crumbling anyway, because other countries don't want to continue them, so if that's true, the deal is really our only option... unless you consider war, and who wants that, especially without international support?

I agree with those who are saying it will be sad to see Obama leave office, but I am also excited to see what he will do next. I suspect he'll take a vacation, but after that, I just don't see him in permanent retirement. I like him more and more, the less he corks his real thoughts for the sake of, as he said, "the markets" or whatever, and the more he lets out what he's really thinking. I imagine the longer he's out of office, the more of that we'll see. I hope so, anyway.

I feel the same way about Jon leaving TDS. I think it won't be the last we see of him. He just needs a break and I think the next thing he does will be more of who he really is and less of who he feels obligated to be. I don't know what that will look like, but I think it might be interesting.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

As Obama said yesterday, if the Republicans have a better idea of a deal with idea then show it. As Jon showed tonight, they got nothing, unless they mean war with Iran. And after watching Ollie slam Lindsey Graham on LWT, we all saw what Jon was about to do. As far as Chuck Schumer is concerned, the less he says about the deal the better it would seem.

A little more than two weeks left, and you find out something new about Jon's life. Must have been hell for him after what his teachers made him do to write correctly with his left hand.

Mike Huckabee, you're a tiny cock.

My father was left-handed and put through hell as a child because of it. When I turned out to be left-handed, my parents told the school they were not to pull that shit on me. I'm about Jon's age and I hate to think what it would've been like if my parents hadn't spoken up.

Trying not to smear by curving your hand doesn't really work. btw. The side of my hand was always covered in graphite smudges. What it does do is let you see what you're writing because we write from left to right.

• Love 1

Me too. Cursive is stupid imo. The only good argument for learning it is that you might have to actually read it sometime, so you need the skill. But I always got nailed on penmanship because of smudging. It's biologically impossible not to smudge when you have a junky fat pencil. 

I learned how to print quickly and neatly by doing the "over the top" move and my notes in college were revered for their clarity and depth.

I wish Obama would just say, "You don't like the deal because I'm in support of it."

And again, yes, it delays Iran's efforts for getting nuclear material for 10-15 years. It's not like it's going to be "deal's up!" And they have 24 kg of plutonium by the end of the week. Like, when the 12th or 13th year rolls around, the current Administration isn't going to propose a renewal of the deal, or extension, etc.? I mean, come on. Who knows what the world is going to be like in 10 years?

I fail to see how this puts Iran on a pathway to a weapon. They have to put together and enormous clandestine infrastructure. It's not like we won't be spying on them. Israel for sure will be. I highly doubt they wouldn't get caught at some point. There's very distinct data signatures that put out when you're doing this stuff. 

The only legit criticism I've heard is that lifting sanctions will allow Iran to fund terrorists. Fair enough, and they shouldn't do that. If they're caught, they're in trouble. 

I knew a guy whose handwriting was so tortured, and when I made fun of it, he confessed he'd been a lefty and the nuns had literally beaten him into righthandedness. The suggestion that he was a grown up now and could write lefty without anyone beating him went ignored. Nuns, man. Me, I'm random-handed (some things righty, some lefty, some ambi), which pissed off my granny fiercely. She often scolded my mom about correcting my "wrong-handed" use of cutlery. Happily for everyone, my mom ignored her.

Moving on: Jake Gyllenhaal is so genial and affable. I love his visits to the desk.

• Love 1
Mike Huckabee, you're a tiny cock.

The Walt Disney company is not going to be happy with that appropriation of "Hakuna Matata."

My father was left-handed and put through hell as a child because of it. When I turned out to be left-handed, my parents told the school they were not to pull that shit on me. I'm about Jon's age and I hate to think what it would've been like if my parents hadn't spoken up.

My dad wrote really slowly and used a ton of pressure, so we always wondered if he'd originally been left-handed. He said no, and it's not something one would forget, I imagine. My elder brother and I are both lefties, and my mom made a point of going to our teachers and telling them so that we wouldn't end up with the claw hand. My brother sort of did anyway—so he wouldn't smear his writing, the bane of all lefties. Like so many others, I just smeared away. I came home with the side of my hand black from pencil dust. And I'd get marked off for neatness, which always annoyed me.

I wish Obama would just say, "You don't like the deal because I'm in support of it."

Seriously. If this had happened during one of Dubya's terms, he'd have been hailed as a savior. 

Well, Jon's lucky that they at least let him keep using his left hand. My in-laws are firm believers that left handed people who use their left hand are lazy unmotivated people, because when they were growing up in the Soviet Union, everyone had to use their right hand for things. If you're not using your right hand, you're not trying hard enough and should get punished.  All in all, the ruler technique doesn't sound as bad.

I'm right-handed, but write as though I'm left handed.  I have the 'hook'.  I was public school trained, but it was weird to sit in a Psychology seminar in college and get pointed out because I had the hook, even though I was right handed.

But I digress.

The latin word for left is 'sinestra'. The English word 'sinister' comes from it. So we have a centuries-long association of left-handed being evil.

You know who else is left-handed? Obama. [mic drop]

• Love 6
The only good argument for learning it

Oddly enough, I came across some articles about the vanishing art of handwriting this week.  Even distinct from handwriting in general, cursive writing appears to have benefits for language processing.

I remember being in the third grade and having the teacher go around "correcting" left-handers.  I hold my writing utensil a little differently -- resting on the ring finger rather than the middle finger, no reason why that I know of except it feels right -- and I was all set to be combative if the teacher tried to mess with me.  But she passed me by without comment.

Bill Clinton and Bush I were too.

I can write right handed on a white board (i.e., standing up.)

There's no way WBush would have thought to appoint an actual nuclear physicist, and treat the negotiations as much as a technical problem as it's political. That's what people are getting. There's technical milestones that have to be met and the provisions are based on actual nuclear theory.

• Love 1

I knew a guy whose handwriting was so tortured, and when I made fun of it, he confessed he'd been a lefty and the nuns had literally beaten him into righthandedness. The suggestion that he was a grown up now and could write lefty without anyone beating him went ignored. Nuns, man.

Never been to Catholic school, have you?  Even years later, the nuns will find out...

• Love 1