Type keyword(s) to search

The Characters of ANW: Love them or Hate them

• Start Topic

IIRC they gave Isaac the choice of whether to run first or second on stage 4, and he CHOSE to go last.

That's exactly right.  Maybe he was so self-confident and smug about it that he assumed Geoff wouldn't be able to finish and then he, Isaac the Great, could triumph in a blaze of glory.  He got the million dollars so it's hard to see how his life was ruined but Geoff's success did take the shine off his win.  Smirk.

(I never did like Isaac and Geoff was and still is a great favorite.)

• Love 7
On 7/5/2018 at 7:28 PM, ClareWalks said:

IIRC they gave Isaac the choice of whether to run first or second on stage 4, and he CHOSE to go last. Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear he picked his position. He had to know he was risking that Geoff would beat the timer and achieve Total Victory before him.

But if two people finish doesn't the $1mil prize go to who finished fastest?  If so, choosing to go last is the intelligent thing to do because then you know what time you have to beat.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

But if two people finish doesn't the $1mil prize go to who finished fastest?  If so, choosing to go last is the intelligent thing to do because then you know what time you have to beat.

Correct, and I think that's why Isaac went second, but it was at his own risk of Geoff making the time too.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, mlp said:

That's exactly right.  Maybe he was so self-confident and smug about it that he assumed Geoff wouldn't be able to finish and then he, Isaac the Great, could triumph in a blaze of glory.  He got the million dollars so it's hard to see how his life was ruined but Geoff's success did take the shine off his win.  Smirk.

(I never did like Isaac and Geoff was and still is a great favorite.)

For awhile there was a little shine taken off his win because a lot of people thought the 1m should have been split between both men because they both finished and achieved total victoryZ. Isaac just did it faster.  There was a bit of confusion about the rules.  Plus he technically did win the money but Geoff will always be the first person to make it to the top.   

• Love 2

I dont know why the Perfect Season has no weight. If two people finish in time and one has had a PERFECT SEASON shouldnt that supersede their rope times? Obviously the Ninja Warrior Champion should be the one that hit EVERY buzzer. It seems like basic common sense to me, even aside from the fact that I cannot stand Isaac. 

• Love 2

Let's take the phrase "level playing field" and turn it into a ANW phrase ....something like "trains in a Ninja Gym".

Contestants who train in a Ninja gym have an advantage. Actually they have at least two advantages: one is that they have seen and mastered obstacles very similar to the ones in the competition.  The second shouldn't be under rated: that is that they know that there are obstacles that they understand, and that gives them an inherent confidence. 

When I've gasped this season at the speed that some of the male competitors have reached zipping through the course, I looked for a commonality.  That commonality is multiple past competitions and having a Ninja Gym to train at.

The inherent confidence isn't there for the women.  It needs to be, but they don't have the history of past competitions as individuals, nor do they have an easy going approach that would come with time. The women gymnasts are often short, for floor exercises etc. it makes for better physical ability and maneuverability.  But it doesn't make for lean and tall.  And reaching across a six foot gap is easier if your arm spread is six feet, and not five feet.   And the added pressure of not being Kacey, who____________. 

So, I'll be a party of one, watching, and cheering for  rancher Lance Pinkus (an unforgettable name) who clamors around his barns, the guy from Alaska with nothing like a gym, and Bootie who trained some with the football team (who could have used him as a water boy.)  These are my chosen warriors because they, to me, seem to be at a disadvantage, and they are doing well regardless.  The women are also my warriors because they are playing a different game, with different dimensions to get through obstacles more easily handled by tall and lean. 

• Love 3

I am over this show.  It's now all about the 'sad story' of the contestants.  And I am tired of the same comments.  "X failed on this obstacle last time,  he's too tall, too small, too heavy, too light."  I have to mute it a lot and I don't enjoy it any more.

• Love 1

So tonight I got to see Lance's last name several times and maybe it will sink in (no guarantees :)  )

I also saw a lot of contestants that I remembered from previous years.  I remember them as people not as Spaniel Ninja  or Cancer Ninja or (the worst from this year) Speedo Ninja. 

Joe More....the weatherman... has added two children and now he plays instruments and sings....which gets him  personal minutes on the air because (the way I see it) just being a really good athlete who makes this look easy isn't enough, if you don't keep your story fresh.  

Tonight, someone unexpected made it through to the end and we didn't see most of his run, nor did we hear his name often.  He deserved better.

The previous contestants who came back and went out early and got put in WWWA slots- they deserved more so some of us long term fans could enjoy their runs, some of which were brief, some of which were pretty good.

And Hubris of the year award goes to Mr. Salmon Ladder who found that lots of boasting and then spectacular failure at what he boasted about will get you a lot of air time.

• Love 5

Yes, Isaac got the choice to go first or second. I always figured he wanted Geoff to go first so he himself would have even more rest time and Geoff would be that much more zapped before the climb. It was probably the choice that won him the competition (urg!) because I think Geoff would have beat him otherwise. Just my opinion.

It’s also smart to go second strategically speaking.  When you go first you are just going as fast as you can to beat the time.  When you go second or last  you have a better marker of how fast you actually have to go.   It's like the last person running the course during finals.  They know where they have to get to make it to vegas.  They know the exact spot they have to get to.  Once they get there the rest is just fun time for them.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 8/13/2018 at 11:07 AM, enoughcats said:

So, I'll be a party of one, watching, and cheering for  rancher Lance Pinkus (an unforgettable name) who clamors around his barns, the guy from Alaska with nothing like a gym, and Bootie who trained some with the football team (who could have used him as a water boy.)  These are my chosen warriors because they, to me, seem to be at a disadvantage, and they are doing well regardless.  The women are also my warriors because they are playing a different game, with different dimensions to get through obstacles more easily handled by tall and lean. 

I LOVE this. They are my favorites too. Thanks enoughcats.

• Love 2

I love Joe Moravsky. He’s just seems like a totally normal guy but when he gets on the course he just annihilates it, and he’s so consistently good.

I also love Drew Dreschel. I used to think he was cocky but he seems more mature. I like that he cheers on so many other ninjas, even coaching them! Plus, he is so superhuman running the course - he’s like a monkey! One of my favorite backstories from a few years ago was a funny piece they did when he and James McGrath were roommates and it was like the odd couple. Seems they have both grown up a lot! I appreciated how well he took it a couple  episodes ago when he fell and Christine acted like it was tragic, and he was just like “well, I made it to Vegas, right?”

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I like that he cheers on so many other ninjas, even coaching them! 

That's one of the things I like about this show...they all cheer each other on (even to the point of changing their shirts 12 times a night ?). You see someone fall and they're disappointed/frustrated/sometimes a little angry, then two minutes later (though probably much longer in real time, if it was even shown in order) they're on the sidelines cheering on the next runner. Even when someone like David Campbell (I think it was him) was on the bubble and saw the point at which he was officially out, he just gave a nod and a little salute to the runner who knocked him out. I don't think I've ever seen anyone take out their frustrations by getting upset at their competitors. (Or at the very least, they keep it off camera.)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That's one of the things I like about this show...they all cheer each other on (even to the point of changing their shirts 12 times a night ?)

That is something I admire as well, but to be honest I often wonder how real it is. They have that mantra of "We arent competing against each other, we are competing against the course." but it seems to me that simple human nature would make them a lot more sore/frustrated/unsportsmanlike than the ninjas let on. It makes me wonder if the producers have a strict On-camera-graciousness rule. Maybe I am just being cynical, but in any case I do admire the sportsmanship we see in them. Its a nice change.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Nonja said:

That is something I admire as well, but to be honest I often wonder how real it is. They have that mantra of "We arent competing against each other, we are competing against the course." but it seems to me that simple human nature would make them a lot more sore/frustrated/unsportsmanlike than the ninjas let on. It makes me wonder if the producers have a strict On-camera-graciousness rule. Maybe I am just being cynical, but in any case I do admire the sportsmanship we see in them. Its a nice change.

It is possible the producers are going the opposite direction of most 'reality' shows and not showing any bad behavior, as opposed to encouraging it. Even if it's just that, it's refreshing...(and most of my reality show exposure is just via commercials and random internet stumblings).

• Love 2
On 13.8.2018 at 6:07 PM, enoughcats said:

Let's take the phrase "level playing field" and turn it into a ANW phrase ....something like "trains in a Ninja Gym".

Contestants who train in a Ninja gym have an advantage. Actually they have at least two advantages: one is that they have seen and mastered obstacles very similar to the ones in the competition.  The second shouldn't be under rated: that is that they know that there are obstacles that they understand, and that gives them an inherent confidence. 

When I've gasped this season at the speed that some of the male competitors have reached zipping through the course, I looked for a commonality.  That commonality is multiple past competitions and having a Ninja Gym to train at.

The inherent confidence isn't there for the women.  It needs to be, but they don't have the history of past competitions as individuals, nor do they have an easy going approach that would come with time. The women gymnasts are often short, for floor exercises etc. it makes for better physical ability and maneuverability.  But it doesn't make for lean and tall.  And reaching across a six foot gap is easier if your arm spread is six feet, and not five feet.   And the added pressure of not being Kacey, who____________. 

To me, it makes sense to train in a Ninja gym, because this has become a sport. Maybe ANW competition is the most visible competition within the sport, but there are Ninja competitions taking place all over America, and if you want to participate and excel in them, showing up at a Ninja gym makes sense - and a fair amount of Ninjas, male and female, are choosing to do just that. It's just like how with track and field, the Olympics isn't the only competition, but rather there are smaller races run over the country and track clubs a person can join to help further their running skill. That doesn't mean the track clubs are the only way, but it's a lot harder to go it alone, and I'm not necessarily going to give someone extra merit at the Olympics just because they chose to train without a coach. Same with people who choose not to visit a Ninja gym or don't live close to any. They can achieve success without one, but I'm not going to necessarily give them extra kudos over somebody who decides to maximise their ability by joining a Ninja gym.

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, enoughcats said:

A third advantage if they train at one of the "Ninja-owned" gyms, like Drew Drechel's -- they have an "in" with production and casting.  Drew (or any of the other Ninjas) helping to make your application video and getting in the right hands is a HUGE plus to getting on the show in the first place.

• Love 3
On 8/26/2018 at 12:39 AM, Ilovepie said:

I love Joe Moravsky. He’s just seems like a totally normal guy but when he gets on the course he just annihilates it, and he’s so consistently good.

I also love Drew Dreschel. I used to think he was cocky but he seems more mature. I like that he cheers on so many other ninjas, even coaching them! Plus, he is so superhuman running the course - he’s like a monkey! One of my favorite backstories from a few years ago was a funny piece they did when he and James McGrath were roommates and it was like the odd couple. Seems they have both grown up a lot! I appreciated how well he took it a couple  episodes ago when he fell and Christine acted like it was tragic, and he was just like “well, I made it to Vegas, right?”

Joe is my favorite too! Love that guy! I like Drew Dreschel - I used to think he was an arrogant ahole, but now that he has matured, he is ok. I am not sure why James McGrath is a superstar ninja? He is boring and falls alot. His backstory of having a different job every year was fun, but didn't he date Michelle Warnky for a while? Now she is one ninja that if I never saw or heard of again, I would be ok! She is annoying, and so is her father!

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, jlc said:

His backstory of having a different job every year was fun, but didn't he date Michelle Warnky for a while?

I don't remember that, but if it's true, it must be awkward now that he is dating Alyssa Beird!

20 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I don't remember that, but if it's true, it must be awkward now that he is dating Alyssa Beird!

Having a different job every year was back in seasons 4 and 5 I think. He referenced it once during another backstory!

• Love 1

I also like Drew. The coaching he does seems specific and helpful. I think he turned the corner away from what some  perceive as arrogance several seasons ago when he went out early. He said something in an interview about his gym failing if he started failing so he had to turn it around.

One of my pet peeves is fellow ninjas shouting "just breathe" or, "you got this".  In the Vegas finals Drew was telling the ninja how much time he had left to get to the buzzer.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

I also like Drew. The coaching he does seems specific and helpful. I think he turned the corner away from what some  perceive as arrogance several seasons ago when he went out early. He said something in an interview about his gym failing if he started failing so he had to turn it around.

One of my pet peeves is fellow ninjas shouting "just breathe" or, "you got this".  In the Vegas finals Drew was telling the ninja how much time he had left to get to the buzzer.

I agree - Drew's actually coaching and not just offering encouragement. I remember earlier this season one of the girls was struggling to get up the wall and he was giving specific advice on how to push up to the top. He is definitely one of my favorites now which is surprising considering when I first started watching in Season 4 or 5 I loathed him!

In the Stage 1 finals the other night Drew and Flip Rodriguez were both talking about how they used to compete to be the fastest finisher, and I think they have both matured since having an early exit because of rushing. They have both grown up a lot in the last few seasons. I enjoyed seeing them training together this last episode.

• Love 5
(edited)

New season starts tomorrow. I'll be playing catch-up because of other stuff. There are a lot of questions that need answering in the months to come. I have two.

Should we start taking Sean Bryan seriously?

First of all . . . yes, "Papal Ninja" is not the best nickname. Dude does tech support at a monastery. You think of a ninja into the Lord, you probably think Daniel Gil. Sean managed to make Stage Three two years in a row . . . even after one of his runs was WWWA. He placed third in 2017 and second last year. I know the guy isn't as "fun" as most of the pack, but he might need to be considered one of the elite. And when you consider he was a substitute in one season of Team Ninja Warrior, that's pretty impressive.

Will Natalie Duran lead an exodus to The Challenge?

In their quest to bring in competitors for their never-ending soap opera, The Challenge has been importing from other shows in the U.S. and beyond. In War of the Worlds, Natalie Duran -- a second-tier female ninja on a good day -- made it to the final mission, surviving a grueling two-day ordeal to finish fourth overall, better than any other female Challenger. She also placed as the second-best American competitor, with only veteran Wes Bergmann placing above her. Putting aside any drama involving her (especially with Turbo, who was like unto a god compared to his fellow players), one has to wonder: would her success tempt ninjas to The Challenge? While most of the elite in both genders are probably a little too mature to be cast, one wonders if the younger generation would be recruited. Also, Natalie is apparently doing the next season, putting her out of ANW this year, meaning ninjas might have to choose sides. And with talent like Mathis "Kid" Owhadi at stake, will ANW try to lock down their future stars?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2019 at 9:46 PM, srpturtle80 said:

Jesse Labreck posted on her FB page that she and Chris DeGangi got engaged! I’m so happy for them, I think they are an adorable couple. 

That's great. I'm happy for them. They make a cute couple, I agree.

Eek!  The 2 year old Drew Dreschel comments aren't ageing well.  

I was always on the fence with him. Like with Flip Rodriguez his ridiculous hot dogging always annoyed me, but I did think Flip was far worse of the two but did change.  I didn't think as much about Drew, because annoying or not at one stage, Flip was far more chararismatic.

I certainly never would have guessed the man would be where he is today.  Egad.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

I irrationally dislike Sandy Zimmerman (the first mom up the Warped Wall). No one ever announced who the first dad was up the Warped Wall and I don't particularly care about the first mom.

To be fair, it's likely she didn't dub herself that (even if she later ran with it -- a lot of these folks adopt the nicknames they are given and market themselves aggressively that way).  

Matt Iseman (the source of a lot of the nicknames) has a lot to answer for.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

I enjoy when the Towers of Powers fall. I can't stand their bro-tastic douchiness.

Mears isn't as annoying to me as Polizzi (who IMO is not tall enough to justify calling himself a "tower") but yeah, the bro stuff is ridiculous, these dudes are 30+ and have families.

• Love 2