Type keyword(s) to search

The Characters of ANW: Love them or Hate them

• Start Topic

Are there "characters" on ANW that you particularly love or hate?

I cannot stand Lorin Ball; he strikes me as a very cocky little twit and I love when he falls. I feel similarly about Brent Steffensen. I think he was probably amazing in the past but lately he just doesn't seem as good. There are far better competitors than he is, and yet he is held up as some sort of deity.

However, I love Kacey. She's totally overhyped now after last year, but as a fellow five-foot-tall woman, I love watching her.

• Love 1

Isaac caldiero (sp?) is one of my favs. I think he is beyond cool how he breezes through the obstacles w/ such amazing agility like it's easy. He seems a lot more humble than the rest of that crew he trains w/ too IMO (I know he showboats some, but he really is amazing that it is cool to see - his one handed warped wall, like wow). I like Travis Rosen and Elet Hall a lot too.

People I don't like - Casey (I really dislike "favorites" though and once someone gets a certain amount of hype I automatically start to dislike them and she was so shoved down our throats I couldn't not dislike her). The doctor Kaufman guy annoys me just cause of how much he's into the doctor thing. And of course, the Adonis - all the hype over his looks has clearly went to his head (ugh).

I don't mind Lorin Ball cause those fast runs, even though they are obnoxious, are fun to watch - and he is really good at them. He seems like a fun guy in his interviews too.

• Love 1

The Adonis always and forever has my annoyance. Last season was my first, so I have some big love for The Weatherman and Kevin Bull. And Kacey is my GIRL. I don't care how "hyped" she is getting - she crushed her city qualifying and finals and I love her for it.

• Love 1

I really enjoy watching the oldies: David Campbell, Brent Steffeson, Paul Kasemir.  I miss Brian Orosco.

I also enjoy seeing Kacey and the other ladies!

I enjoy The Weatherman and like Elet Hall, not because of their success but because of their attitude. Brian Arnold I love and am greatly looking forward to an imminent Total Victory or at least Stage 3 victory in the regular season. Kacy Catanzaro is greatly overrated in my eyes I think Meagen Martin deserves more credit due to the fact that she's a better athlete and went farther. I think he Wolfpack can get a little cocky but Arnold and Caldero keep their feet on the ground where as the doctor, while I like him as an athlete can get a little cocky. The other guys not as famous so he can't really get a big head.

• Love 1

I love Ryan Stratis. He seems like such a down to earth and likeable guy. Those arms!! He is very talented and I love watching him compete.

I love watching him too, even when he's on the sidelines, cheering others on. I was sorry he didn't make it to the top at the military finals.

There are really not a lot of the competitors I dislike. Kacy is one, but that might be more for the way they made her into the second coming of Christ. I was happy to see "The Adonis" fail so quickly. I usually don't mind cocky guys, but he was especially douchey. Drew Dreschel is cocky, but he doesn't annoy me in the same way.

I like Lance Pinkus too. Not just because of his physique and athletic ability, but because he seems like a real down-to-earth man.

It's Drechsel.....probably originally pronounced Drexel.

The only reason I remember is that the first time he ran this year, there was a line of kids cheering for him and each one had a letter.  D  R  E  C  and I think to myself, dumb kids, they've spelled his name wrong.  So, I looked at the chyron and learned.

I'm waiting for Isaac Caldiero.  Loved Gil with the long flowing locks.

Is the "Adonis" that Rob Moravsky guy? Because last season I tweeted that he needs to work on his calves (they're SO SKINNY YOU GUYS), and his fans (really a legion of his cousins) started seriously harassing me to the point where I had to block several of them. Which only made me hate Rob more. 

Kacy didn't get a walk-on for the city finals.  She commented in the booth while Brent was running, but didn't compete.  She did "flub" the Vegas finals last year, but I think she's just going to have a huge amount of difficult on the Jumping Spider, like Sam Sann - she's just too short and too light to get the punch she needs to make it far enough in. 

They gave wildcards to a lot of women that didn't make it past the first stage, like Rose Wetzel, the Spartan racer; the woman pole vaulter and Russian rock-climber, not just Kacy.  Of course, it could be argued that they gave those women Wild Cards to justify giving Kacy one. Then again, I'm  in the minority, because I really like Kacy.  I'm astonished such a short woman could have had the success she's had.  I also like Kristine better than Jen, although, I agree, she was off her game the other night and if she continues in that vein, she should probably be replaced.  Jenn was a bit too bubbly for me.

Akbar in particular has been annoying me lately, maybe because he's started repeating himself with his course tips, louder and LOUDER.  We get it, Akbar, you think he should hurry up or "move that body."  They generally do a good job, although ALL OF THE SHOUTING wears in me after awhile.  If they keep this up, they're both probably going to develop nodes on their vocal cords and need surgery.

I hope the second part of Stage 1 goes well tomorrow night.

Brent WAS the best ninja 3 years ago, going farther than anyone until Brian Arnold dethroned him. Brent has one of the best records in competition so he can be cocky all he wants; he can back it up. There are very few athletes who are better then Brent, so I don't know where the statement "there are far better competitors" comes from

Edited by Phantomizer

I think he had one of those faces that SHOULD be handsome but for whatever reason is not, but I really liked the flight attendant from Hawaii who was dealing with the death of his mother and grandmother. His family just seemed so grateful to have something fun in their lives.

His teeth are jacked up, but the blond van liver from Cali who dumpster dives was seriously a cool guy with a great face and body.

I feel bad for both Brent and Kacy. They seem to be putting themselves under tremendous pressure to live up to their earlier performances, and their identities seem to be wrapped up into being Mr. and Ms. American Ninja Warrior.

Brent WAS the best ninja 3 years ago, going farther than anyone until Brian Arnold dethroned him. Brent has one of the best records in competition so he can be cocky all he wants; he can back it up. There are very few athletes who are better then Brent, so I don't know where the statement "there are far better competitors" comes from

Maybe from the fact that for three years running, there have been many athletes -- both novice competitors and seasoned pros -- who have gone further than Brent has? Last year, he didn't even make it to city finals, did he? 

Maybe from the fact that for three years running, there have been many athletes -- both novice competitors and seasoned pros -- who have gone further than Brent has? Last year, he didn't even make it to city finals, did he? 

Are you asking me from the past 3 years who have gotten farther then Brent?

Well, my post was made before the finals was aired, but when I posted it only Brian Arnold went further. Joe Moravsky tied Brent by going out on the Hang Climb.

Right now only 5 other ninjas went further then Brent- Dory, Caldiero, Arnold, Dreschel and Britten. 

Edited by Phantomizer

Is the "Adonis" that Rob Moravsky guy? Because last season I tweeted that he needs to work on his calves (they're SO SKINNY YOU GUYS), and his fans (really a legion of his cousins) started seriously harassing me to the point where I had to block several of them.

Thanks for reminding me about the bone-thin calves on The Adonis, ClareWalks. Everyone (on the show) talks about the Hotness of Adonis, and the announcers go all GAH-gah when he takes his shirt off, yet no one says word one about his skinny bird legs. I love, love, love The Weatherman, but I was happy when his cousin Adonis failed this year. Interesting to know that he thinks well enough of himself that he has moved to LA to be in the movies.

Someone needs to send Adonis a DVD of the Modern Family episode where Cam and Mitchell's friend had the calf implants done.

I like Lance Pikus since who else has made a spider climb out of hay bales. Dr. Kaufman ... I cut him slack since he put that one competitor's dislocated shoulder back in its socket, on camera, a few seasons back. Although his gold lamé outfit of last year really pushed my tolerance.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I like Paul Kashmir. I have always wondered why they stopped featuring him.

He was the one whose girlfriend died in a mountain climbing accident, wasn't he? I think it was during ANW's first year, and that was his tragic story. By the next year, though, I think they mentioned it in passing only, because Paul had moved on with his life and had a new girlfriend.

Favorites are Meagan Martin, Geoff Britten, Kevin Bull, Kacy Cantanzaro, Kevin McGrath, Drew Drechsel, and Sam Saan. They all seem like such great people (tho Drew can be a little too smug sometimes) and I enjoy watching them. I kind of like Jessie Graff but sometimes I don't think she takes her training as seriously as she should.

Dislikes, oh my. Caldiero. Sorry but he seems like such a pretentious douche. He actually referred to himself as a g*psy, said he has a small fire in him, his girlfriend says he's like a reincarnated Buddha, and it all makes me wonder if him dressing up like Jesus wasn't entirely a joke for him on some level. I get the feeling he might smoke alot. I also have a problem with the Wolfpack guys because a) these are grown men that nicknamed themselves Wolfpack, b) they will actually howl in public. Yikes. Most of them are really good athletes but I get the feeling I wouldn't want to hang around them. But I will give Brian Arnold this, he made a great discovery in that little brunette he picked for his team on Team Ninja Warrior.

Any of the guys yelling like Rambo atop the Warped Wall automatically become My Most Hated for a least a week. It's not macho, it's lame, please stop. Though nothing was worse than Mark Bernadino, I believe, yelling in Japanese before every run.

(edited)

If I never had to see Brian Arnold again I'd be happy. That guy just ticks me off. Also not a fan of the lesser Moravsky.

Aside from Megan who is probably my favorite I enjoy Flip Rodriguez, Drew Dreschel and Jessie Graff probably the most. Although I really liked Flip's training partner from the LA Qualifier. She's great.

Oh and the youtuber, party crasher who's name I can't remember. She was in the LA qualifier too

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, SanLynn said:

If I never had to see Brian Arnold again I'd be happy. That guy just ticks me off.

I sort had a knee jerk reaction when Brian Arnold came back the next year after making it to Stage 3 and said, "Hey, I quit my job to train for this full time!"  Then I realized it wasn't my marriage and I don't know their financials.  Maybe they have an agreement that in a few years his wife gets to quit her job and write The Great American Novel while he supports them and the kids or something.  Anyways, I admit he's still not my favorite, but intellectually I can realize it may not be fair to him.  You may dislike him for completely different reasons... or just disagree with me. :)

• Love 3

Heh simplyme you read my mind. That was my moment too and while I intellectually understand that is probably not fair it is the main reason why I just don't care for him.

I think it also stems from the Wolfpack thing. That whole training group seemed to originate around the same time and I'm not a Wolfpack fan either. I cringed when Megan did kind of a wolf call after she made it last week. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SanLynn said:

I think it also stems from the Wolfpack thing. That whole training group seemed to originate around the same time and I'm not a Wolfpack fan either. I cringed when Megan did kind of a wolf call after she made it last week. 

Have you ever asked yourself why she trains with them and yet isn't part of their little club?

Only dudes are allowed, apparently.  Smarmy douchy dudes.

• Love 3
(edited)
18 hours ago, Kromm said:

Have you ever asked yourself why she trains with them and yet isn't part of their little club?

Only dudes are allowed, apparently.  Smarmy douchy dudes.

LOL I think that's why it annoyed me so much, they go so far out of their way to slam it through our heads that she's not part of the club yet they're always around when she runs telling her what to do on the obstacles. Drives me up the warped wall. I wish she'd tell them to take a flying leap and go train with Jessie or someone.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2

Would love to see Meagan, Jessie, Kacy, and Michelle Warnky training together.  Through in Tianna and Natalie(? - qualified in LA) and you have yourself a winning combination. 

I might even watch an actual reality show with those women and that's saying something.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SophiaD said:

Would love to see Meagan, Jessie, Kacy, and Michelle Warnky training together.  Through in Tianna and Natalie(? - qualified in LA) and you have yourself a winning combination. 

I might even watch an actual reality show with those women and that's saying something.

Oh that would definitely be a must watch for me as well.

From the latest episode thread . . . I'm cool with new runners coming in with gimmicks, though I can see why some would tire of it. I'm grateful Kevin Bull didn't arrive in 2014 with a "HAIRLESS NINJA" t-shirt. If you're trying to draw attention to a cause, I'm all for it. Then you have a case like, say, "Papal Ninja." Would that be if an actual Pope was running?

• Love 1

I'm curious as to where some of my past favorite (and good) ninja's went. I finally found out what happened to Evan Dollard (not that his was a favorite of mine - he always seemed a bit arrogant) he's hosting that "Spartan" show. Does anyone know what happened to David Money? He was pretty good and I loved his last name. Also, his father was basically completely blind so one of his relatives would walk his father down the course as David did each obstacle and explain what was happening. David wasn't that old, if I recall, so I wonder why he isn't competing anymore?

As far as ninja nicknames go, so many of them should be called "Arrogant Bastard" Ninja and "I Know I'm Better Than You" Ninja. And if you want to stick to the show's original language, "Baka no Ninja" (idiot/stupid ninja), "Gooman na Ninja" (arrogant ninja) "Bukiyoo na Ninja" (Clumsy ninja), etc.

Clearly all those years of double majoring in undergrad with one of those majors being East Asian Languages as well as living and working in Japan, China and Korea have paid off.

I don't recall seeing Elet Hall this year. Did I just miss him? He seemed like an okay guy, though there was something kind of angular about him that always made me want to see what would happen if he and Tilda Swinton had a baby. 

I watched Spartan and didn't even recognize Evan Dollard as a ninja. That's how much of an impact the guy made on me. Of course, until you said he was on Spartan, I didn't remember that either. (Maybe he should become a spy? :P )

Dollard's role on Spartan was pretty small.  There were two 'main' hosts who did most of the commentating, Dollard had some mid-course commentary, it seemed like, then there was also often a woman 'host' thrown in near the end of the course, I think?  

I'm new this season but I'm amused by all the hate and ridicule here.  I haven't seen much arrogance and all.  Maybe it's too early or this season is more tame.  For reality constestants, they all seem pretty innocuous and likable to me.  I'm sure the show asks them to ham it up a bit on the course or in the pre-show packages, if they're willing.

6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm new this season but I'm amused by all the hate and ridicule here.  I haven't seen much arrogance and all.  Maybe it's too early or this season is more tame.  For reality constestants, they all seem pretty innocuous and likable to me.  I'm sure the show asks them to ham it up a bit on the course or in the pre-show packages, if they're willing.

I think often it's less a reaction to the people themselves and more a reaction to whatever type of coverage they receive from ANW. If they come across as an underdog, people seem to be positive. If people feel ANW "fawns" over someone, it's not unusual to see a backlash. I myself have always had an illogical dislike of Lance Pekus based on the cowboy hat, jeans, bare chest, and belt buckle thing, but I'll admit that the more they've shown of him actually occasionally talking over the years (instead of just the thematic cowboy ninja "watch me practice in a barn with hay bales hyuk hyuk") the more I like him.

To me it looks more like her full-time stunt double Shauna Duggins.  Graff's only credited with 'utility stunts' in 2 eps.

37 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

To me it looks more like her full-time stunt double Shauna Duggins.  Graff's only credited with 'utility stunts' in 2 eps.

Yeah, the eyebrows and nose match, but I agree looking more at it. 

On August 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM, simplyme said:

I don't recall seeing Elet Hall this year. Did I just miss him? He seemed like an okay guy, though there was something kind of angular about him that always made me want to see what would happen if he and Tilda Swinton had a baby. 

He chose not to run this year. The Wolfpack ninja podcast interviewed him a few months back and he's over the way NBC produces the show. He didn't like the way he was portrayed and hated the nickname they game him "the natural". He loves parkour and never trained specifically for ANW and doesn't want to spend all his training for it and feels that's where the show is going. 

• Love 2

i think my favorites tend to be those who have full time jobs or lives outside of ANW.  Jessie Graff and Flip Rodriguez do stunts and Flip runs a gym for kids..   Geoff Britton is a camera man and Grant McCarhhy is a flight attendant.  I tend to side eye those people who want to turn ANW into a job.  Starting a gym is one thing turning ANW into all you do is something different.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

In case you're just tuning in, Geoff Britten has decided to call it a career, ninja-wise. With him gone and Isaac probably still mad at NBC, which male athlete will the show hitch to the wagon? Right now, I'm thinking Joe Morvasky.

38 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

In case you're just tuning in, Geoff Britten has decided to call it a career, ninja-wise. With him gone and Isaac probably still mad at NBC, which male athlete will the show hitch to the wagon? Right now, I'm thinking Joe Morvasky.

It depends who gets the farthest during the finals. Joe Morvasky is a good choice but there is also Grant MacCartney and Jake (I forget his last name) both are fan favorites.

Edited by Chaos Theory

I will miss Geoff Britten. He was not only a great ninja but also seemed like a really nice person.

I cannot stand Jake Murray. Grow up and stop being ridiculous. I don't find him funny or charming; just very, very weird.

I guess I'm a total anomaly but I like ALL of the Ninjas and I don't begrudge them trying to make a living off a sport that they love...just like any other athletes. Maybe the obstacle courses were once designed in a such a way that if you were a good overall athlete, you could walk onto the show and do well. But as the difficulty of these courses have increased exponentially, Ninjas must now train specifically for this or just not do well. We've all seen strong, athletic rookies and walk-ons go out on second obstacles. I'd rather see the challenges get more difficult and the feats of physical strength and agility get even more amazing and if that means someone has to open a gym to support their training throughout the year, so be it.

I love that Kevin Bull got a sponsorship deal and that NBC featured it this year. I hope that entices him to stay as we are losing more and more great male stars. I'm also thrilled to see the female field progress so fast. Kacy was a pioneer and, in my eyes, she has not "failed to live up to her hype". She came under enormous, probably completely unexpected scrutiny, and inspired a generation of girls to get out there and get strong. All she owes anyone is to be the best she can be and if that means she falls, then she falls. Keeping up a certain standard of athleticism is incredibly challenging, not to mention that she is a business owner, going through a public breakup, and has all eyes on her. She could have pulled a disappearing act and bowed out but instead, she's out there trying again every year and supporting her fellow Ninjas. That's class. And now Jessie is taking on the mantle for women. Perhaps Jessie will continue to do well. Maybe she'll have an off year. Doesn't matter, the drive and the effort is what I'm impressed by from all of these athletes. 

I get why Issac left, I'm sad that Elet Hall doesn't love NBC's coverage and won't be back and incredibly sad to lose Geoff as well. But we all have to make the best decisions for ourselves in life and those athletes gave us what they had. I pray that Drew's gym is successful so that we can see him come back and finally beat the course. I'm not the biggest Flip fan but it's been awesome to see him grow and mature on the show, and I can't wait to see more of Jake Murray...I love that he has fun with it along with being an incredible athlete. Looking forward to the next season of ANW!

• Love 4