Type keyword(s) to search

Cold Justice: Sex Crimes All Episodes Talk

In the US someone is murdered every 36 minutes, but every 2 minutes someone is sexually assaulted. One in four women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime. 3% of murderers will kill again - 63% of rapists will rape again. Most rapists will continue to rape until they are caught. This show is about giving victims a forum to tell their story, solving cold case sex crimes, and prosecuting the offenders before they rape again.

This is a spin-off, of sorts, and will air 5 episodes beginning July 31 on TNT. Presented by Casey Garrett and Alicia O'Neill.

• Love 2

Wow, I had no idea there was a spinoff like this in the works.  I'm looking forward to it, but I hope they're able to solve a lot of these cases.  For the victims to be brave enough to publicly tell their story like this, I hope, at the very least, they get justice that they deserve.

• Love 3

So the first ep had a couple of tropes: 1) super sympathetic elderly victim; 2) attacked at home by an intruder. Which is not to say that it wasn't a good case to take, but it's worrying that assaults that happen to young girls wearing tight skirts in, say, a bar might not get the full force of tv forensic experts.

Still, the ladies got some PSA information in (the bit about the availability of victims' advocates was new to me, for instance), and better still, a  result.

• Love 4

I hope they highlight the backlog of rape kits that are never tested in many areas.  A lot of convictions could be made with enough funds to do so.

This along with the short statue of limitations. Imagine if they ran all of those kits, how

many of those would come up with match? And how many of those will end up not

lead to arrests because its past the three or five year mark of the statue in that state?

Or it takes that long to track down the suspect? We see all the time murderers being

found years later. How many rapists would they have been able to take off the streets

if they had the money to run the tests and time to find the suspect?

• Love 3

Especially since the statute of limitations is short on rape cases, usually 5 years.

I read/heard some discussion that with the advent of DNA, it might be possible to increase the time.

I was wondering about that, because they got DNA on that one guy, who's already in prison, and one of the women (I can't remember who is who) told the woman that because of her he'd have to stay in for much longer.

• Love 1

In fact, the BSOJ said he was going to be prosecuted for her case and it was, what, 16 years ago that he raped her? Either LA has longer statute of limitations or the clock started ticking once the DNA linked him to the case. I'd like to hear more from Alicia on why they are picking the states and cases to pursue. Have those states changed their legislation on statute of limitations? I can't imagine they would go through all the work and not be able to go forward with prosecution if they make a case after 20 years.

• Love 1

One of the things that has stayed with me about the last ep was Missy's relief that the DNA confirmed her rapist wasn't that guy Stacy. That she really didn't want to disrupt his family's peace of mind by accusing him of rape.  What's interesting to me is that she takes that guilt on herself -- it would be her responsibility if his family were 'torn up'.

Now, my way of thinking is that maybe his being a rapist would be the thing that tore them up, not his victims' testimony. But that's really a real thing in the way women respond to being raped. So many of them don't want to cause trouble by reporting it, and take on the emotional labor that shouldn't be theirs. Whether this is hard-wired or a product of rape-culture acculturation, I don't know. Whether the community would rally to the victim's side isn't really a sure thing; plenty of people would assign to the victim the very blame for ruining a man's family that she was taking on herself.

I recently read the new Jon Krakauer book about campus rapes in Montana, and this dynamic shows up there as well. And now I have a better answer for all the people I know who complain that the Cosby accusers didn't come forward sooner.

So if the show is so far less procedurally interesting than its mothership, it certainly is bigger food for thought. 

• Love 2

I'm glad to hear that the show took on so many of Flint's kits. Maybe not many of them will be put on tv, but it's a good thing to do, justice-wise.

A thing I found interesting in the interviews with the suspects: Some recentish research shows that rapists are perfectly happy to talk about their 'conquests' as long as nobody calls it rape. So the fact that the cops never used the word 'rape' made it more likely to get the goods from the men. "We had sex" is certainly how a rapist looks at it. Which is fine if the lack of consent can be established.

• Love 5

My heart just broke for Beverly. Her emotions were so raw, even after all these years. I wonder if that is because she never really spoke about the rape? I'm happy they got the rapist.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3

So the first ep had a couple of tropes: 1) super sympathetic elderly victim; 2) attacked at home by an intruder. Which is not to say that it wasn't a good case to take, but it's worrying that assaults that happen to young girls wearing tight skirts in, say, a bar might not get the full force of tv forensic experts.

Still, the ladies got some PSA information in (the bit about the availability of victims' advocates was new to me, for instance), and better still, a  result.

I was worried about this as well.  But in a recent episode (either the last one or the one before;  I DVR'd both and watched them the same day and don't recall which )  the woman mentioned that she was a drug user and I believe even prostituted herself.  The investigators did make it clear that this was good that she had a witness to confirm that she was not a willing participant.  The survivor was pretty brave.  She went on TV and exposed a lot of information about herself.  I don't know if I could have done the same thing in her position.

I do worry about the women that will be on this program.  Not everyone is going to get a conviction.  I can't imagine how difficult it would be to go so public with a story and not get a conviction, or worse, no conviction and a rapist insisting it was consensual  or consensual prostitution.

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 2

For those interested, here is a breakdown of laws regarding rape by state:  https://rainn.org/public-policy/laws-in-your-state

There are several states where rape has no statute of limitations.  Though there are different degrees of sexual assault and some degrees may have limitations in some states. And some may require that the rape be reported w/in a certain period of time.

Many other states have a DNA exception.  I believe  that means if you have DNA, and you file charges before the statutes have expired, then the rapist can be tried whenever he is identified.

However, some of these laws are relatively recent and if I understand the law correctly, it only applies to crimes going forward. 

For example, NY changed the laws in 2006. Previously the statute of limitations was 5 years.  If limitations had run out by 2006, then the rapist could not be charged.  So in NY, rapes from 2001 and on can be prosecuted at any time, but rapes prior to 2001 cannot.

Edited by ElleMo
  • Love 2

I have taken this off my DVR schedule and will no longer watch.  Friday's show made me ill.  The amount of detail we heard from the brother of the victim was uncalled for.  I understand why the investigators need to know that information, but the public does not. 

The NYT Magazine did this in depth report on an SVU unit. I found it super interesting, if often enraging. Like the bit about the detective who closed a case because a 2 year old with an STD showed 'no evidence of criminality.'  Or the prosecutor who punted on serving a warrant on an incarcerated serial rapist until he'd been released early and lost for good.

• Love 1

I just happened to see an article on the solving of an old rape case and I recognized it from Cold Justice: Sex Crimes.   The episode was On Sacred Ground about the rape of a teacher at an elementary school. The attacker had implied that the victim knew him somehow. Turns out her rapist was in law enforcement.  She was the wife of a former police officer.  That may be how they crossed paths previously.

I dropped by because I have a question  about this upcoming season.  Season 5 is supposed to start soon on Oxygen.   I thought this show was now produced by Oxygen, but, I saw it advertised on ID (Investigative Discovery) channel.  I can't find it on their website though.  Maybe, it's on Oxygen and they are just advertising for Oxygen on the ID channel.  That might explain it.  I was disheartened to see Kelly advertised on ID for this show.  I am a former fan who no longer watches this show due to her. 

https://www.oxygen.com/cold-justice

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Season 5 is supposed to start soon on Oxygen.

The Sex Crimes spin off isn't starting but the regular show started yesterday on Oxygen. I don't know if there are going to be individual threads for this season or just one All Episode thread for Season 5. It was a good episode and Steve Spingola had a fair share of the episode time, as well as the local detective. Might be a production reaction to Kelly's real life issues.