Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Replace Rex with Ben and Clint with Asa...that's another one.

While I was never a particular fan of Ben's, at least that made some sense because Ben was still a new character TPTB at the time were desperate to make happen and they were trying to expand his connections outside of being Viki's love interest/husband.

The better comparison is probably David suddenly being Bo's son.  Just like Rex, David had been around for years, could stand on his own as a character, and was even further cemented to the canvas via his romance with Dorian.  Why did he also need to be a Buchanan?

Ben was part of a much larger problem in that the Rappa-Davidsons were all attached to major characters like parasites in order to Make Them Happen. Will with Jess, Georgie with Kevin, Ben with Viki, Sam with Todd, Sam, Lindsay, Lanie and Colin with Bo/Nora... it was ridiculous. They were an infectious disease that spread to every single part of the canvas.

Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I didn't warm up to Ben until the very very end and that's really only because Mark Lawson was on SoapTalk (remember that show on SoapNet?) and he was actually pretty funny especially with the bit where Niki defenestrates Ben. But, again, that's like when he was just about to leave the show. The RappaHorde were what cause my Mom, a lifelong fan, to give up the show completely (the shit with Sam, Bo and Nora did her in) and I came in later only when I discovered that Todd was back and wooing Blair so I wasn't even there from the beginning of their infestation.

Ugh. They were awful.

• Love 2

Ben was still a new character TPTB at the time were desperate to make happen and they were trying to expand his connections outside of being Viki's love interest/husband.

Yeah, but as Dandesun pointed out, he was already part of the RappaDavidson infestation, so he didn't need to be a Buchannon as well.

Georgie with Kevin

Actually, I think it was Grace, who was truly and utterly pointless. She was on for what, 5 months, just so Kevin and Joey could get into fistfights over her and pointless death/sacrifice to take the even more pointless Buchannon/RappaDavidson "fued" to a new level or whatever.

The RappaHorde were what cause my Mom, a lifelong fan , to give up the show completely

Very understandable.

Hmm. I guess hating them isn't so unpopular after all?

• Love 1

Yeah, but as Dandesun pointed out, he was already part of the RappaDavidson infestation, so he didn't need to be a Buchannon as well.

Oh I totally agree that he didn't need to be a Buchanan.  But I understand why TPTB made him one as part of their mission to Make The RappaDavidsons Happen and to, like you mentioned, add another level to the stupid Buchanan/RappaDavidson feud.

Wheras Rex and David had already happened, to whatever degree they were going to.  So the push late in the game to cram them into the Buchanans made even less sense to me.

• Love 2

Actually, I think it was Grace, who was truly and utterly pointless. She was on for what, 5 months, just so Kevin and Joey could get into fistfights over her and pointless death/sacrifice to take the even more pointless Buchannon/RappaDavidson "fued" to a new level or whatever.

I think you're right. I actually came back to the show after her and Grace. Georgie was after Bo for a bit, wasn't she? And all I know of whichever one it was with Kevin was that she was the love of his life for about five minutes. When I came back to the show, he was with Kelly and five minutes later he was gone. I think he and Kelly interfered with Todd and Blair. It was the Tim Gibbs Kevin, who was hot enough (I remember his one shot on Sex in the City) but he had this really low key manner and I just remember him and Kelly trying to convince Blair not to marry Todd.

I was like 'What the hell does Kevin care?'

And then the very last scene I remember him being in was on the roof after Todd as 'Officer Starr' had rescued Blair when she was being a bit show offy at Todd and fell off the ledge. Silly Blair. "God, you're heavy!" "Well, why don't you work out?" "Why don't you stop using hand creme?" "It's winter! My hands are dry!" Kevin came up after the excitement was over and Kelly ran interference and then we didn't see a Kevin again until Dan Gauthier.

Which was during the Tea years... I wasn't watching then... although I did go dig up video of Blair telling Asa to die so she could watch.

Wasn't the big hostage thing the primetime episode? 

It was during prime time but strangely it was that show which convinced me T&B were going to be together in the end because there was Todd being Todd and Viki and Tea were trying to convince him to let Asa go for the good of Todd's soul and yet there was Bair wishing Asa dead it was also before that that Todd exposed Max was dating Blair to get info for Asa and the way he tossed it out and then added softly sorry Blair.. They killed it and why I can  remember that moment in the middle of the Tea years is beyond me but they do have a hold on me

• Love 3

There should have been a Cristian/Natalie/Al triangle. The Natalie/Cristian/Jen triangle was just bogus.

I liked Natalie with Jared, but I'm kind of sad she never reunited with Cristian. I loved them so much.

That said, she and NM's Al could have been pretty awesome (and he and Marcie WERE awesome--not when he was Michael, but good old Al Holden. *sniff*).

I ended up disliking Cris and Nat for basically the same reason I loathed Nat with Mcprick He often stood there all judgy and disapproving when Nat's inner birch came out. Plus that scene when he was laughing at her with Van killed all my fondness for him.

(edited)
I refuse to acknowledge that Rex is a Buchanan. Refuse. It is completely unacceptable to me as well as absolutely unnecessary.

Same here. What did either side get out of it? Not a single thing. Though Echo (echo…echo…) being Rex's mother had a certain karmic satisfaction. She was intolerable, and Rex had long gotten to that point with me too.

So the push late in the game to cram [David and Rex] into the Buchanans made even less sense to me.

Especially because both of them had already had their "who's my family?" story lines. It's not like either of them had been wondering.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Not only has neither been wondering but they were both already anchored to the show David thru Doran and Rex thru Nat. The Rex situation was worse because the reason he was likeable in the first place was that he considered Nat his sister despite the fact they weren't blood.

Grrr I feel a rant about how adoption is treated on soaps coming on

• Love 1

Especially because both of them had already had their "who's my family?" story lines. It's not like either of them had been wondering.

One would think Rex would have learned his lesson.  Why he was obsessed with who his parents were EVERY SINGLE TIME when each new reveal just caused him more pain made no sense.  He should have just embraced his pseudo-parents Bo and Roxy (which he pretty much did anyway) and left it at that.

• Love 2
(edited)
I loved Gigi.

Table for two, please! And to make this even more wildly unpopular: For the most part, I actually liked Rex/Gigi. I can totally see why Rex irked people, but for whatever weird combination of reasons, I found him more interesting and entertaining than a lot of the other characters. 

Some others:

This was wildly unpopular on TWoP, but I liked the last few years on ABC far, far, FAR more than the Prospect Park reboot, which I found borderline unwatchable. It felt like a failed CW teen drama to me, and it was trying to so hard to be cool and edgy and 'hip' that at times I actually felt embarrassed for it.  And I despised the much-loved Dani and the rest of the "quad." I found them really dull and also profoundly unlikable. (I'm all for characters being horribly flawed and doing terribly unlikable things on soaps, but at least be a well-defined, interesting character!) 

I like Natalie (wait, here comes the unpopular part!), but I tend to take her side less than most, and never blamed Jessica in the least for being horrified by Natalie/Brody. By the way, I thought Natalie/Brody had less than no chemistry and barely seemed to connect as more than casual pals. 

I actually liked Victor. And Tea (well, for the most part!) And Tea-Victor. (*ducks*) The Blair/Tea scenes became all-time favorites of mine. 

Starr and Cole were always among the most fast-forward-worthy parts of the show. 

I think the actress who played Destiny 1.0 was easily among the worst to ever be on the show. 

I liked the mystery/suspense/awesomely-over-the-top intrigue plots, even (especially?!) when they were campy far more than I liked about 99% of the endlessly repetitive romances. 

ITA with those who hated Marty. And McBain was my very least favorite character, though that may more polarizing than unpopular. 

Despite this show's many flaws, it was the only soap I ever fell in love with, and it's ridiculous how much I wish they'd put out a series of "best of..." DVDs! 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1

Table for two, please! And to make this even more wildly unpopular: For the most part, I actually liked Rex/Gigi. I can totally see why Rex irked people, but for whatever weird combination of reasons, I found him more interesting and entertaining than a lot of the other characters.

Make room for one more. I loved Gigi. I liked her with Rex too but I did want him to be stabbed during that whole Stacey crap. And it would have been nice to see Gigi and Schuyler become a real couple for awhile.

This was wildly unpopular on TWoP, but I liked the last few years on ABC far, far, FAR more than the Prospect Park reboot, which I found borderline unwatchable. It felt like a failed CW teen drama to me, and it was trying to so hard to be cool and edgy and 'hip' that at times I actually felt embarrassed for it.  And I despised the much-loved Dani and the rest of the "quad." I found them really dull and also profoundly unlikable. (I'm all for characters being horribly flawed and doing terribly unlikable things on soaps, but at least be a well-defined, interesting character!)

I don't know if OLTL on ABC was "better" but I found it more watchable I guess. Ron's cheap plot points, trash writing, and stupid retcons entertained me far more than what we got with OLTL on PP. The new version was so boring to me. I didn't hate the young adults and appreciated that they were actually acting like young people, but I don't think any of them had any really good stories.

I like Natalie (wait, here comes the unpopular part!), but I tend to take her side less than most, and never blamed Jessica in the least for being horrified by Natalie/Brody.

I was always Team Jessica. Even when Tess tried to kill Nat and Jared I didn't feel too bad for them. Nat and Brody were just nasty. If they were lonely why couldn't they just go to a bar and pick up a stranger. Why did they have to screw each other? Multiple times. I hate that Brody went off the deep end again because he was so desperate to have a family with Nat.

Starr and Cole were always among the most fast-forward-worthy parts of the show

I used to Cole but for some reason once Marco and then Langston left I rapidly lost interest in him. I was hoping he would die instead of Ford.

• Love 1
I like Natalie (wait, here comes the unpopular part!), but I tend to take her side less than most, and never blamed Jessica in the least for being horrified by Natalie/Brody.

I never blamed Jessica for that.  Natalie violated some basic sister-code with that one.

I hate that Brody went off the deep end again because he was so desperate to have a family with Nat.

I hated that, too.  I didn't get enough sense of build-up that Brody was that close to the breaking point that he'd crack again.  Granted, this was what - the third time in his life that he thought he had a son and found out he didn't?  But there wasn't enough long-term investment to warrant the break, IMO.  But in general I found Brody to be a poorly-written character used mostly as a plot device.  I never bought the idea that he became a police officer so quickly either, after having been in St. Anne's.  

• Love 2

NuCole was the best recast in years. I never liked Puff the Magic Teenage Nightmare. The day he got his claws into Starr signaled the end of her for me. No way Blair's daughter would be all twoo wuv. She'd be the schemer.

Sam is the only acceptable offspring.

• Love 1

For my part, I loved Brody/Jess but had no problem with the Nat/Brody one night stand. It wasn't the smartest thing either one of them ever did, but I could see how they both got to that point. Plus, hotness.

Their later "relationship" made me scream, though. Natalie decided to marry a man she knew she didn't love, but her twin did recently love, because...John McBain apparently didn't want her anymore? For fuck's sake. That was just stupid and stupidity squashes hotness. And of course Brody went all Crazy Eyes again. It was a mess, and no one, including Jessica, was sympathetic.

• Love 2

This may not be a UO, but it needs to be said:

In the world of kid lifers on soaps, I wish that Erin Torpey was remembered a little more often. She was on from ages 9 to (almost) 22, and sometimes it seems like she was forgotten completely over time. Maybe she wasn't KMc, but I thought she was pretty good. 

I don't know, even as someone who grew up with KA rather than ET (I'm two years older than Kristen, and that probably kept me on her side a little longer than most--even when she first went to GH), I still wish Erin was remembered a little more for her status as a kid lifer. 

It's kind of funny to remember when EA was first on the show, people would say how he was only there because of his sister (and Patricia Elliott, Renee, said in a caption of an SOD picture of them back in 2001, for some sort of party, that was basically what happened--he and their mom were onset with her and they decided to include him, too) and couldn't act like she could. I wonder when the reversal began? 

Also, Jason Shane Scott was so hot as Will. If I were Jessica, I would have been torn  between him and Cristian just based on looks alone.

Yeah, I'm shallow. 

ETA: I just found this picture on Erin's Twitter/Instagram page of her, Gina Tognoni, and Darlene Vogel (Melanie). The three of them became very close friends at OLTL.

This was taken about three weeks ago:

http://instagram.com/p/qfENeWCd9t/

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Also, Jason Shane Scott was so hot as Will. If I were Jessica, I would have been torn  between him and Cristian just based on looks alone.

Oh, UYI. I thought we were friends, but then you go and say something like that.

(I kid. I have to like anyone who hated Luna. But Will was the worst. Like, the ur-Ford.)

However, I agree with you that Erin Torpey shouldn't be forgotten. She was wonderful. I grew to like Bree's portrayal, except when she was Tess*, but something was lost in the recast.

* (Possibly) Unpopular Opinion: I hated Tess. Not just the disgusting story that created Tess, although that too, but having Tess onscreen at all. She wasn't campy fun, she was annoying as hell. Everytime it looked like the show was going to dig into Jessica's character (after Nash died, after she found out about Natalie/Brody and Liam), nope, Jess would literally disappear for months and we'd be stuck with that mugging, ridiculous caricature. It was infuriating.

• Love 4

Everytime it looked like the show was going to dig into Jessica's character (after Nash died, after she found out about Natalie/Brody and Liam), nope, Jess would literally disappear for months and we'd be stuck with that mugging, ridiculous caricature. It was infuriating.

I was very sporadically watching during the first two rounds of Tess, but I completely agree with regards to round three.  So frustrating, especially because they hinted at the richer story they could have told in the first few scenes Jessica had with Natalie and Brody when she was finally herself again.  But by then, I was so sick of her face after being tortured by Tess (and Ford) for months I just wanted her to go away.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Eddie literally started acting one day. It happened overnight.

He was absolutely dreadful for years. I mean, he was a cute little tot, they hired him to do a few lines early on because the cast loved him on-set with Kristen and lobbied for him to take the part, fine. But a year or two in they killed off Sam Rappaport, Matthew's 'father' for the first five, six years of his life, and they struggled to do this (too brief) scene where Nora is trying to break the news to Matthew and console him - and Eddie might as well have been watching Nickelodeon. No reaction, while Hillary B. Smith is just lying there in hysterics and Eddie is still chirping out these lines. It was cringeworthy.

I wanted him recast early and often - I thought it was nepotism and that he was not an actor, and he wasn't for many years. He had a nice rapport with RSW and HBS that strengthened over time, but he almost never had a reaction to major events. For awhile I called him the "Ralph Wiggum of Llanview" - he would follow Starr around and get into her little schemes, like agreeing to lie in the middle of a treacherous mountain road waiting for a prison van to speed by and possibly run him over. He seemed at times to have a room temperature IQ, hence the Ralph comparison. And then there was the issue that you couldn't ever do a Starr/Matthew pairing in adulthood with the two of them in the roles (though, amazingly, one of those regimes did play with the idea of Eddie's Matthew having a crush on Starr, which is just gross).

The only time I detected a pulse on him for many years was when Bo got shot in like 2006 or something. Matthew had barely reacted when Nora went into the Hillary B. Smith Contract Coma and almost got killed off - which infuriated me to no end - but when Bo got it, suddenly Eddie was hysterical. He lost his mind. I figured it had to do with his relationship with Bob Woods. They kept giving him other emotional scenes and he kept mostly being too Casual Friday for my tastes.

Then, one day in like early 2009, they gave him that story with Cole's drug addiction and Destiny and the car crash and so on, and he started sassing Bo and Nora, and all of a sudden, overnight, he was an actor. And he very, very quickly became the best young actor the show had had in years. He was easily better than his sister by the end. I just adored him. And the show did not appreciate him.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I absolutely agree that EA was terrific by the end, and I will say that, to be fair to him in his early days, he looked like he could be HBS' son from day one, regardless of who Matthew's biological father was.

Also, one other factor into how his acting probably transformed: he was recurring for years. Kristen got a contract at age 10 (after being recurring herself since she started just shy of seven). Unlike his sister, Eddie probably had more of chance, being recurring, to branch out and look for other roles that might improve him as an actor (and he did--wasn't he in a Clint Eastwood movie?), whereas Kristen, being on contract from such an early age, probably didn't have that chance, or as much of a chance at least (and if she did, it's not like she ever took advantage of it). 

But since I'm getting off topic now, I'm going to include a UO:

I'm no fan of the 1992-1995 opening (my nickname for it is the 30 second porn opening, or, as an alternative, the asscrack opening), but the closing theme during that era was pretty good. 

Edited by UYI

The problem he was bad for, like, seven or eight years IMO. I rarely saw much of any improvement until one day in '09.

That's why it baffled me when he started getting these raves for Changeling in 2008 - and he is good in that movie, but it was like, 'where is this coming from? Why doesn't he act on the show?' Of course, the following year he did.

I'm no fan of the 1992-1995 opening (my nickname for it is the 30 second porn opening, or, as an alternative, the asscrack opening), but the closing theme during that era was pretty good. 

I have a ridiculous fondness for that opening, despite how dopey and cheesetastic it is. I don't really know why, though probably it being the first opening I really remember clearly has something to do with it. Nostalgia! The crying eyes, the champagne cork popping (subtle!), the ass in blue jeans...it's all too overdramatic and silly not to love.

I remember the first time I saw the porn opening after years of the 'Cause we only have ONE LIFE TO LIVE!!' with all of the various faces flashing over scenery... it was such a bizarre change. "What the fuck is this?!" For the longest time, I'd watch that opening with pure stinkface. I don't know how long it took to wear off... and it's weird that that ridiculous opening exists through easily one of my favorite periods of the show.

It was my first so I can't really not like it. I can see why most of the cast and crew were apparently mortified, though.

The opening I really hated, from start to finish, was the last one on ABC, which they kept from 2004 right to the end; just the cheapest shit imaginable, a dark set and some hot spotlights and several character shots of people that literally never changed in eight years, while the same newbies and airhogs got new shots over and over. No identifying marks for OLTL as OLTL except a few vague, barely-visible images of the never-seen-before-or-since Llanview University location remote from January 2004, because Frons was into the college kids for a few minutes. Brian Frons and ABC had clearly blown the budget on the openings for AMC and GH - both of which got multiple new sequences throughout the following years - while OLTL never, ever changed it up again. Until last year, of course.

• Love 1

I refuse to acknowledge that Rex is a Buchanan. Refuse. It is completely unacceptable to me as well as absolutely unnecessary.

This * infinity. I loathed that retcon By the time the show ended I wanted Rex to DIAF and I there is no way in hell that Clint's DNA is present anywhere in Rex's twitchy, annoying little body. 

I'm sorry but that was Brody's baby. They both were. McBain can't breed.

I am convinced that both of those boys were Brody's children and they should all have found out during an extremely soapy health crisis. They will also discover that the lab tech who did all of the paternity tests was an incompetent lunatic and Rex will turn out to be a Hopi.

My UOs: Jared/Natalie was my favorite Natalie pairing. I loved them unapologetically.

Nat's reunion with McBain never really rang true for me after all the lies about Liam. 

I wish Brody had been both Liam and Ryder's father

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3

I wish Brody had been both Liam and Ryder's father

That opinion's not unpopular with me.  Liam and Ryder being half-brothers (born to twin sisters, no less!) could have led to a lot of soapy drama down the line.  I also imagined them eventually in a love triangle with Sierra Rose Fish-Lewis.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Not necessarily.  If Shane was able to overcome Rex's douche DNA to become a decent human being, with Kyle and Fish as her dads, I think Sierra will turn out just fine. 

Although I guess it depends on whether Hope would have been written as the perfect Teen Dream ingénue like Starr.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3

I see Sierra Rose (I totally just typed Mist and had to correct it, it happens every time) growing up to be pretty well-adjusted. Not some bland, passive, good-girl ingenue - I envision her being able to pull off a scheme, but mostly using that power for good - but still smart and good-hearted. More Kyle than Stacy, in that sense.

You know who I really think should've grown up to be a screwed-up hellraiser, but I doubt the show would've gone there if it had lasted? Bree.

• Love 2

Oh yeah, Bree!  Her being a little hellrasier to pay Jessica back for the years of her childhood she ruined would have been delicious to watch indeed, while all the while she's close to her stepdaddy Brody.

• Love 1

I liked Bo and Gabrielle as a couple. Probably more due to the chemistry between Robert S. Woods and Fiona Hutchison than anything, but there was a lot of potential there that was never realized.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think it's unpopular. Certainly not with me, I loved them, too.

My fave moment with them might be an unpopular choice, though. Most people talk about Bo watching the tape of Gabrielle stealing the dress off the mannequin - and that was hilarious - but my favorite was when Gabrielle got mad because Bo described her to someone (Hank?) as his "roommate" and so he walked around Angel Square with a bullhorn declaring that they were romantically involved.

That was Bo's only post-Nora romance that worked.

ETA: Max and Roxy! They should have become a real couple.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 3
(edited)

Here's a big UO:

I had no problems with Justis Bolding as Sarah. In fact, I actually kind of liked her, and her family scenes when Cord & Tina came back in 2008 were great. I DO think the fact that they paired her Sarah with Cristian after he had already had serious relationships with two of her cousins (and actually married one of them) was weird, but that part wasn't her fault. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I think every message board I went to called her 'Lamie' because she WAS lame. So boring. So unbelievably boring and I was supposed to buy that Bo goes off and has a one night stand with this piece of wallpaper and then decides, what the hell, let's have a relationship!

At the time, rumors abounded regarding RSW not wanting to be paired with Nora and wanting, instead, the younger blondes or whatever. I have no idea of any of that was true... but he did get a string of bland blondes for awhile. And Lamie got an exit story worthy of her complete pointless existence on the show... faking a mortal illness to get Bo to propose to her.

Yeesh.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wasn't it sort of established in show that Bo had a weakness for blondes? Didi and Sarah were both blonde. And he was involved with Alex for awhile until he and Cassie got together.

Edited by UYI

Did he?

I mean... I guess now that I think about it he did get involved with blondes more often than not but that never struck me as being the thing that caught his attention... especially since Nora was NOT a blonde. Didi and Sarah were both fully realized characters while Lanie and the various Paiges were such non entities that their blondeness was their only real distinguishing feature.

And, truthfully, I never really looked at Lindsay as one of the myriad blondes so much as a freaking lunatic.

• Love 2