Type keyword(s) to search

Reba - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/18/2022 at 9:49 AM, aquarian1 said:

I was thinking of another direction - have them deal with being empty nesters.  Van and Cheyenne - their 2 would be in college (or the youngest about to be),

Oh cripes!  Now I feel old!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/4/2017 at 9:05 AM, readster said:

I felt Brock never learned from all the crap he did over the years, especially in the flashbacks of him early on. How he "fell" for Barbra Jean made little sense. They could have gone some good places when they introduced that he was clinically depressed that lasted for several episodes. Even BJ's reaction thinking that someone shouldn't be depressed if they have a wife and family at home. Then learning that depression doesn't work that way. However, by the time we got to the final season, Brock had really taken off to super ass, of course the actor was also starting to moonlight on Boston Legal at the time. For Van, when they had him start realizing how he had to work hard for things and be a good role model, he was great in the role. When they wanted to keep back peddling on him being stupid or more naive than Barbra Jean, it made him look horrible. Reason why I got tired of Kira's character after the move out. You got why she wanted to move out, she wanted to be a regular teen, but then she hated being a regular teen. I also know that the actresses eating disorder was playing a role in things too, but Kira started becoming an entitled brat more than her sister later on. 

I don't like Kyra as a character. She always has resting bitch face and it does not become her. And.....that is from season 1.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SusanM said:

Oh cripes!  Now I feel old!!

Today I watched episodes where Cheyenne was still pregnant and the tv description said it first aired in 2002. I thought "exactly 10....oh no....20(!) years ago." Elizabeth and Henry are 20!!!!!!! 

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 6/7/2018 at 12:28 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

That's really odd if true. I always thought Kyra was the best character on the show after Reba and BJ.

Kyra is my least favorite character. Van is my favorite character probably because of the comedic talent of Steve Howey.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 4
On 6/14/2018 at 7:59 AM, Snow Apple said:

Sorry but I hated Kyra. The season she was gone was fun and it was a relief not needing to brace yourself knowing one of her nasty remarks was coming. 

It was like they want the character to be Darlene Connor but she couldn't pull it off. She just seemed mean without layers. And the actress' perpetual sneer didn't help.

I hope Scarlett is happy and healthy but I just can't stand Kyra.

EXACTLY the way I feel about Kyra. Your "sneer" remark is what I meant by "resting bitch face".

• Love 3
15 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I don't like Kyra as a character. She always has resting bitch face and it does not become her. And.....that is from season 1.

I had some sympathy for the character of Kyra.  They did have a few episodes where it was clear she really took second place to Cheyenne (I am remembering especially the one where she didn't get to go on a special trip because Cheyenne screwed up and needed more money for school - details are fuzzy but that was the essential storyline).  Anyway, that said Kyra herself was just never likeable.  I don't know if that was the intent or not but writing her as a bright smart mouth could have worked if they hadn't added a  mean girl vibe to everything she said.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SusanM said:

(I am remembering especially the one where she didn't get to go on a special trip because Cheyenne screwed up and needed more money for school - details are fuzzy but that was the essential storyline).

That was one of the show's best storylines, the lead-up to Kyra moving in with Brock.  Kyra's grades meant an invitation to a study in London program.  Brock and Reba were going to split the cost, but Reba wound up having to use her half on Cheyenne instead (and Brock was in one of his crying poor moments for why he couldn't just pay the whole thing) -- Cheyenne had missed so many classes, she hadn't earned enough credits in the regular school year to remain qualified as a full-time student the next year; if she didn't take summer school classes to retain that status, she'd be part-time, which would mean Elizabeth would lose her slot in the school's daycare.  If they didn't have that daycare, Cheyenne couldn't go to school at all.  So Reba had to bail them out, even though, if not for Elizabeth, she knew the best thing to do would be to let Cheyenne fall on her ass and deal with the consequences.

Kyra understood Reba's choice was forced, and that it was the one to make under the circumstances.  But she also knew she came in last in that household - it's Elizabeth, Van & Cheyenne, Jake, then her (and when Jake got a turtle, she moved down a slot) - forced to behave as another adult (Reba even refers to her that way, even though she's something like 14 at the time) even though two of the actual adults were not.  While at Brock's, she could be the kid she's entitled to be.  So, despite all of Reba's hideous guilt-tripping and threatening, she switched primary homes.

It's my favorite Kyra moment, and another favorite is when she admits the reason she doesn't want to be in Brock and Barbra Jean's wedding is the wedding makes it official -- this two-home situation is her new reality, the family she grew up in is indeed forever altered.  Jake is too young to fully understand the underpinnings so adapts pretty well, Cheyenne is caught up in her own mess, while Kyra is painfully aware of what happened between her parents, which leaves her incredibly angry at her dad yet still loving him. 

• Love 3
On 5/21/2022 at 6:19 PM, luvthepros said:

Kyra is my least favorite character. Van is my favorite character probably because of the comedic talent of Steve Howie.

My least favorite characters on the show were Cheyenne and Brock for sure. So unlikable and seldom funny. Van is probably my favorite after those three. Like BJ, he really shined more as the show went on, where he was more boring in the first season.

I guess I always liked Kyra because she was like a young version of Reba to me. I rarely found her truly mean-spirited, most of it was an act (as on display in the episode where they find out she was the one who stole the tape for Cheyenne's baby to add her own message). Kyra being a young Reba reminds me of how Darlene was sort of Roseanne in younger form on Roseanne. (Another character that often had funny barbs that was only truly mean-spirited occasionally.)

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's my favorite Kyra moment, and another favorite is when she admits the reason she doesn't want to be in Brock and Barbra Jean's wedding is the wedding makes it official -- this two-home situation is her new reality, the family she grew up in is indeed forever altered.  Jake is too young to fully understand the underpinnings so adapts pretty well, Cheyenne is caught up in her own mess, while Kyra is painfully aware of what happened between her parents, which leaves her incredibly angry at her dad yet still loving him. 

I do like that one. My favorite Kyra moment is her at Barbra Jean's family get-together, where she develops a close relationship with BJ by helping BJ learn how to "handle" her jerk of an older sister.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's my favorite Kyra moment..."

I like the moments when she is caught off guard, like when she's arguing with Van and he makes a good point, and she says, "I like dumb Van better." Or when Cheyenne tries to make things up to her for something and takes her shopping and hangs out with her, and she admits to Reba, after making her promise to never tell, "I kind of liked it." And her face, when she realizes these things, cracks me up. Makes up for the snark all the time, at least a little.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2019 at 11:27 AM, ForReal said:

Okay, it was mean of Kyra, and it was dumb of Van, but honestly it was one of the funniest moments of the whole show, for me.

I didn't find it funny at all. That is one reason I have no use for Kyra.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:24 AM, andromeda331 said:

I agree I liked her hair better when it was longer. She looked really great in every style except the really short cut she had when the show begin. 

Short hair or not, the episode when Elizabeth is born, Reba in a Kelly green dress, singing to the newborn baby had me in tears. Just a beautifully shot scene.

• Like 1
On 5/23/2022 at 7:35 AM, ForReal said:

I like the moments when she is caught off guard, like when she's arguing with Van and he makes a good point, and she says, "I like dumb Van better." Or when Cheyenne tries to make things up to her for something and takes her shopping and hangs out with her, and she admits to Reba, after making her promise to never tell, "I kind of liked it." And her face, when she realizes these things, cracks me up. Makes up for the snark all the time, at least a little.

Or the trip to Barbra Jean's family reunion which she had been acting a like a brat about the whole time ends up bonding with Barbra Jean and convincing her to stand up to her horrible sister.

Just now, andromeda331 said:

Or the trip to Barbra Jean's family reunion which she had been acting a like a brat about the whole time ends up bonding with Barbra Jean and convincing her to stand up to her horrible sister.

Oops already mentioned by @TheGreenKnight.

• Love 2

Kyra bonding with BJ was one of my favorite moments.  She was the greek chorus commenting on all the crazy with wise cracks.

Van and BJ became caricatures in later seasons.

Kyra bonding with BJ was one of my favorite moments.  She was the greek chorus commenting on all the crazy with wise cracks.

Van and BJ became caricatures in later seasons.

• Love 3
On 5/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, Bastet said:

That was one of the show's best storylines, the lead-up to Kyra moving in with Brock.  Kyra's grades meant an invitation to a study in London program.  Brock and Reba were going to split the cost, but Reba wound up having to use her half on Cheyenne instead (and Brock was in one of his crying poor moments for why he couldn't just pay the whole thing) -- Cheyenne had missed so many classes, she hadn't earned enough credits in the regular school year to remain qualified as a full-time student the next year; if she didn't take summer school classes to retain that status, she'd be part-time, which would mean Elizabeth would lose her slot in the school's daycare.  If they didn't have that daycare, Cheyenne couldn't go to school at all.  So Reba had to bail them out, even though, if not for Elizabeth, she knew the best thing to do would be to let Cheyenne fall on her ass and deal with the consequences.

Kyra understood Reba's choice was forced, and that it was the one to make under the circumstances.  But she also knew she came in last in that household - it's Elizabeth, Van & Cheyenne, Jake, then her (and when Jake got a turtle, she moved down a slot) - forced to behave as another adult (Reba even refers to her that way, even though she's something like 14 at the time) even though two of the actual adults were not.  While at Brock's, she could be the kid she's entitled to be.  So, despite all of Reba's hideous guilt-tripping and threatening, she switched primary homes.

I don't know why but I'm suddenly on a Reba kick the last few days and I agree, this storyline was really well done. And Kyra's situation was quite realistic in its 'middle child syndrome on steroids' way, as most middle children aren't also dealing with nieces and nephews also being in their daily lives along with the younger sibling aspect. 

Cheyenne bugged me with her reaction to Reba telling her how messed up it was that she was going to have to tell Kyra that she couldn't go do something that she wanted, earned, and deserved only because Cheyenne couldn't be bothered to attend an early morning class and of course was unaware of the consequences for her laziness. Cheyenne's biggest concern was that Reba seemed mad at her, she didn't show any remorse for what she had done to her sister. But I guess that's typical. 

I still find the show a little too broad and clown-ish in a lot of its humor, but when the writing is good, there are genuinely funny moments. Like when Van, Barbara Jean, or Brock are allowed to tone it down, they can each really deliver a line that makes me LOL. 

Also, I LOATHE the theme song and really wish Hulu had the "skip intro" option for this show. The melody is jarring and the lyrics are stupid (and don't rhyme). Can't stand it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't know why but I'm suddenly on a Reba kick the last few days and I agree, this storyline was really well done. And Kyra's situation was quite realistic in its 'middle child syndrome on steroids' way, as most middle children aren't also dealing with nieces and nephews also being in their daily lives along with the younger sibling aspect. 

Cheyenne bugged me with her reaction to Reba telling her how messed up it was that she was going to have to tell Kyra that she couldn't go do something that she wanted, earned, and deserved only because Cheyenne couldn't be bothered to attend an early morning class and of course was unaware of the consequences for her laziness. Cheyenne's biggest concern was that Reba seemed mad at her, she didn't show any remorse for what she had done to her sister. But I guess that's typical. 

I still find the show a little too broad and clown-ish in a lot of its humor, but when the writing is good, there are genuinely funny moments. Like when Van, Barbara Jean, or Brock are allowed to tone it down, they can each really deliver a line that makes me LOL. 

Also, I LOATHE the theme song and really wish Hulu had the "skip intro" option for this show. The melody is jarring and the lyrics are stupid (and don't rhyme). Can't stand it. 

I really wish we got something from Cheyenne. She was the reason Kyra lost a trip that she had earned because she was being irresponsible. She never apologizes, never reflects or does anything to show that she knows she's responsible for it and feels bad about it. She could have done all of those things. She also could have tried to do better. Or get a damn job to start paying her own way. Van too. She's mad at Kyra for moving out and hurting their mom. But not mad that she's the reason Kyra's moving out. But not mad enough to start planning on taking Kyra's room for Elizabeth. How about some growth from Cheyenne and Van finally?

I feel so bad for Reba and Kyra. She knows she shouldn't be bailing out Cheyenne and she wouldn't be if not for Elizabeth. Kyra does understand that but it still really stinks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I don't like the theme song either but I laughed when Reba thought she had a heart attack and Van comforted Cheyenne saying "She's a survivor." 

The show had a lot of in-jokes like that and I laugh every time I catch one. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't like the theme song either but I laughed when Reba thought she had a heart attack and Van comforted Cheyenne saying "She's a survivor." 

The show had a lot of in-jokes like that and I laugh every time I catch one. 

Yeah, I just saw the one with the wedding redo for Van and Cheyenne and Reba says "Fancy is my name" at one point. 

I really wish we got something from Cheyenne. She was the reason Kyra lost a trip that she had earned because she was being irresponsible. She never apologizes, never reflects or does anything to show that she knows she's responsible for it and feels bad about it. She could have done all of those things. She also could have tried to do better. Or get a damn job to start paying her own way. Van too. She's mad at Kyra for moving out and hurting their mom. But not mad that she's the reason Kyra's moving out. But not mad enough to start planning on taking Kyra's room for Elizabeth. How about some growth from Cheyenne and Van finally?

Yeah, her yelling at Kyra for upsetting Reba by wanting to move out was unbelievable. She couldn't trace the roots back to what she did?? I mean, I guess it's not terribly surprising given everything else about the character, but it's galling to watch.

• Love 3

Oh wow, so I just got the season where BJ gets skinny. Much has been made of Kyra/Scarlet's weight loss and eating disorder problems, but I had no idea Barbara Jean ever got that skinny.

Wikipedia says she got a trainer, etc and lost 60 lbs, I don't think I buy that, it's so extreme and looks ike way more than 60 lbs. Even in the earlier seasons before she got pregnant, she just had a large looking frame and suddenly more than half her body weight is gone in a matter of months? I think she had gastric bypass or a lap band.

It was a pretty interesting storyline (or could have been with some slightly better writing) to see how the others related to her with her new body, like Brock being threatened, etc.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, I just saw the one with the wedding redo for Van and Cheyenne and Reba says "Fancy is my name" at one point. 

Yeah, her yelling at Kyra for upsetting Reba by wanting to move out was unbelievable. She couldn't trace the roots back to what she did?? I mean, I guess it's not terribly surprising given everything else about the character, but it's galling to watch.

It really is galling to watch. I really want Reba or Kyra to yell back that it's her fault that she's leaving. She kicked off the whole thing by her irresponsibility. Or if this had finally been the that Cheyenne finally grows up.

7 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Oh wow, so I just got the season where BJ gets skinny. Much has been made of Kyra/Scarlet's weight loss and eating disorder problems, but I had no idea Barbara Jean ever got that skinny.

Wikipedia says she got a trainer, etc and lost 60 lbs, I don't think I buy that, it's so extreme and looks ike way more than 60 lbs. Even in the earlier seasons before she got pregnant, she just had a large looking frame and suddenly more than half her body weight is gone in a matter of months? I think she had gastric bypass or a lap band.

It was a pretty interesting storyline (or could have been with some slightly better writing) to see how the others related to her with her new body, like Brock being threatened, etc.

Barbara Jean looked incredible. I like the reaction to it from the family.

Just caught the one where Kelly Clarkson plays a weather girl protege of Barbara Jean's and they do an American Idol parody with Brock as Randy, Cheyenne as Paula, and Van as Simon. Cheyenne's impression was hilarious, she really got into it.

Barbara Jean looked incredible. I like the reaction to it from the family.

It just seemed like skinnier than I imagined someone with her frame could ever get. Even in the earlier seasons when she wasn't actually overweight, she just looked big boned. And she has a really large head, so when she got so skinny, it gave her the bobble-head look.

Van looks like he got kinda beefy in that last season, but it shows less in the kind of t-shirt/jeans wardrobe he had.

Also, I'm alarmed to find that I owned so many of the shirts that Reba wore, given that I was 20-something when this show was on. But her wardrobe is pretty plain, most jeans and casual tops, so I guess it could be worse.

Some of the technology on the show makes me laugh now, like when they put a tracker on Kyra's phone and it was seen as such an overreach and snooping, when nowadays nearly every parents uses the GPS on their kids' phones to keep track of them. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

God this episode still pisses me off LOL 

Cheyenne pisses me off in it, but I love that episode because it's so realistic.

The episodes that piss me off, to the point I will not re-watch them, are 1) the one treating those lucky enough to qualify for public assistance accepting that benefit as a bad thing, 2) the one where Van gets treated like he just drowned babies and set puppies on fire when he says he no longer believes in a god so isn't going to go to church with them anymore, and 3) the one that celebrates spanking (as a disciplinary tool with children, not as a kink between consenting adults) -- and the B story (Van's homophobia on full display again when he and Brock are mistaken for a couple during their "Guys Day" at the spa) is terrible in that one, too.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Cheyenne pisses me off in it, but I love that episode because it's so realistic.

The episodes that piss me off, to the point I will not re-watch them, are 1) the one treating those lucky enough to qualify for public assistance accepting that benefit as a bad thing, 2) the one where Van gets treated like he just drowned babies and set puppies on fire when he says he no longer believes in a god so isn't going to go to church with them anymore, and 3) the one that celebrates spanking (as a disciplinary tool with children, not as a kink between consenting adults) -- and the B story (Van's homophobia on full display again when he and Brock are mistaken for a couple during their "Guys Day" at the spa) is terrible in that one, too.

I hate those episodes.

I don't like the public assistance episode at all either, but I love the Reverend Yummy Pants portion of the Van doesn't believe in God one.  And I don't think they actually treated him that badly, even the reverend told them not to push/pressure him.  

23 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

And I don't think they actually treated him that badly, even the reverend told them not to push/pressure him.  

The reverend was the only one with any sense; Cheyenne was pretty bad, and Reba was outright awful.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

The reverend was the only one with any sense; Cheyenne was pretty bad, and Reba was outright awful.

Yeah she really was. Hitting and trying to force the reverend to fix him. I do like the Reverend was understanding.

• Love 1

I watch Reba and never tire from it. It is like a bowl of soup on a cold day. Please bring it back with all the original cast . We could us a great show like this , in this harsh world now. I am watching Reba now , and still laughing at this heart warming show !

• Love 1

I like this show. I watched during its original run and remember being really surprised how good/funny it was. Not sure why I was drawn to it in the first place since I had no strong love of Reba or anything...I think i just stumbled onto it one day and I stayed because it cracked me up. Steve Howey quickly became a crush, lol. Occasionally i'll get sucked into watching the reruns, but I can't watch over and over again like I can some other shows.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:04 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Also, I LOATHE the theme song and really wish Hulu had the "skip intro" option for this show. The melody is jarring and the lyrics are stupid (and don't rhyme). Can't stand it

I like the theme song, but not the last (last two?) seasons when they add all the extra twang to the music, and not the first season when it was too sweet and country. The lyrics are silly but for some reason I just like the intro.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:29 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

My favorite Kyra moment is her at Barbra Jean's family get-together, where she develops a close relationship with BJ by helping BJ learn how to "handle" her jerk of an older sister.

This episode gave me probably my favorite line from the series...someone asks Kyra if she's having a good time, and she responds "well at first I wasn't, but then I had some jello". It cracks me up every time. It's all in her delivery.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:20 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Just caught the one where Kelly Clarkson plays a weather girl protege of Barbara Jean's and they do an American Idol parody with Brock as Randy, Cheyenne as Paula, and Van as Simon. Cheyenne's impression was hilarious, she really got into it.

That was one of the best gags the show ever did. Van doing Simon was amazing.

My other favorite bit was the episode where they're trying to hide the cat that Kyra found and Van is trying to be a father figure to Jake. The scene in the kitchen when Van tells Kyra her "school book" got out and she yells 'you lost my cat??", and then Cheyenne asks if he brought a cat into the house, Van's befuddled english professor-like reaction "what what what what??" absolutely floors me, made all the funnier by him wearing that cardigan with the pipe hanging out his mouth. I can't even describe it with any justice.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Watched the trainer episode on UP TV last night. Reba's reactions when the trainer had Barbara Jean in all kinds of contortions was so funny. Then Reba in a fetal position when she was on the mat being dragged. The funniest episode ever IMO.

• Like 1
On 1/3/2023 at 4:55 AM, rcc said:

Watched the trainer episode on UP TV last night. Reba's reactions when the trainer had Barbara Jean in all kinds of contortions was so funny. Then Reba in a fetal position when she was on the mat being dragged. The funniest episode ever IMO.

That was a funny episode.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, Bastet said:

That wedding episode was on last night!  Great episode.  I hadn't watched this show in months because of the Hallmark Christmas movie hiatus.  I really like this show, but over the years it had such upheavals in plot, as in a typical soap. Drunk Cheyenne never made sense to me.   I still think they had great acting and writing. 

The episode when Reba has eye surgery and is temporarily blind on Up TV today. So funny when Barbara Jean was trying to help in the kitchen. Those two are much like Lucy and Ethel. Great comedy duo.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Yep, I still get mad every time. Poor Kyra.

It literally was van making jokes and them learning NOTHING.. then they get pissed at her for moving out like somehow they had NOTHING to do with that decision ugh .. she dropped the classes cause she didn’t want to get up then and that jeperdized the day care so she should have been forced to stay home with the child and do night courses (which she dropped out of school anyway so it was a double F you to Kyra) not screw over the other daughter .. I’m still puzzled why that wasn’t an option

I literally find myself just getting so pissed and turning it off lol 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Like 1

That's what I hate the most about it. Kyra gets screwed out of a trip she earned because of Van and Cheyenne's irresponsibility. Do they apologize? Feel bad for what they did to Kyra? To Reba? Promise to do better and actually do better. Nope. Not at all Cheyenne's pissed at Kyra that is when she and Van aren't excited about giving Kyra's room away to Elizabeth. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's what I hate the most about it. Kyra gets screwed out of a trip she earned because of Van and Cheyenne's irresponsibility. Do they apologize? Feel bad for what they did to Kyra? To Reba? Promise to do better and actually do better. Nope. Not at all Cheyenne's pissed at Kyra that is when she and Van aren't excited about giving Kyra's room away to Elizabeth. 

yeah cheyenne and van pretty much attack Kyra right after for being mad about being screwed over ... then they get giddy about turning her room into a gym I was like who wrote this?

• Like 1

“Okay stop it! Just understand that I’m not saying this to hurt you. I’m saying this so you’ll relax. Okay? And don’t take it personally… Cheyenne? Kyra was not the monster! You were! You were the B..”

this scene still cracks me up 

• Like 1