Type keyword(s) to search

Reba - General Discussion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

And when Jake got a turtle, she moved down a spot.

That line made me laugh in the midst of feeling sorry for her. 

As Brock said, at his house she could be the kid she's entitled to be, instead of being regarded as the second adult (ahead of her sister and brother-in-law who actually were adults) in the household as she was at Reba's.

I appreciated the position that Reba was in, in that she knew she shouldn't be bailing Cheyenne and Van out all the time but feeling like she couldn't let them fall on their asses because of Elizabeth.  And I understand her being sad and even hurt that one of her kids no longer wanted to live with her.  But I thought she was out of line in her reaction to Kyra requesting it and Brock saying yes.  That's her father, it's a better home for Kyra, and they're just around the damn corner -- don't treat it as a betrayal.  I loved Kyra sticking to her guns and handing over her key.

Reba came around, obviously, and she may even have apologized to Kyra (in that family therapy episode with Martin Mull?), but I don't think she ever did to Brock.

I felt Brock never learned anything over the course of the series. Even when they focused on him being diagnosed as clinically depressed and how he and his theorpist believed that putting his practice on hold for a bit and trying his hand and professional golfing. Especially, when it was revealed he decided to not do it since Reba was pregnant with Cheyenne at the time and decided to be stable. However, when Barbara Jean felt that no one should be depressed if you are married and happy (she was such an air head about that). Plus add in the actress playing Kyra's real life eating disorder. They pretty much just dropped it all and decided to spend the next season like nothing ever happened. I also never really saw Brock realizing he did some very stupid things, even thinking he made a mistake. He made some real stupid decisions and almost had Van's parents thoughts thinking Cheyenne should go away (as many people in the late 90s believed teen age pregnancy should be treated). However, when the series ended and the stupidity of bringing 7th Heaven back for an 11th season after it had wrapped up. The series felt so rushed that I think given another season with a proper wrap up, we would have seen Brock apologizing and Reba meeting someone new. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

When Reba was rushed to the hospital after passing out at van and shiann’s vow renual where the heck was Henery Jake and kyra?

And Elizabeth.

Maybe we're suppose to think Kyra is watching the younger ones, even though she wasn't at the wedding.

Edited by Snow Apple
On 7/18/2016 at 7:26 PM, Steff said:

Then at his house once, it was on & I realized that Sandy Cory (one of my teenage summer crushes from Another World soap) was Brock & I was hooked. 

I thought I was the only one who remembered him from Another World. Loved that soap...even my hubby watched that one when we were teenagers.

• Love 2

So while reading some old articles about Scarlett Pomers battle with anorexia, something jumped out at me-she mentioned how one of the reasons she lost weight so drastically was because she was stressed when the show came close to being cancelled, resulting in production delays.  I wasn't aware of the show almost being cancelled after season 4 and i'm curious as to what exactly caused the show to get nearly cancelled and then delayed that time.  

I always did suspect that WB resented having to air a show it did not own(it was created and owned by FOX as opposed to WB, and networks tend not to treat shows they don't own very well) and actively tried to sabotage the show because of it. Interestingly it wasn't the only FOX owned show aired by another network to get that treatment, George Lopez also got mistreated by ABC because of that(it was frequently put up against American Idol). 

I also began to get suspicious that there was executive meddling in season 5 of both shows, as in both cases the teenage girl characters(Carmen and Kyra) largely faded into the background.  With Carmen after the season 5 premiere, she never got any of her own subplots again, she would pretty just show up for one or two jokes per episode and that was it, seemed like things were headed that way for Kyra as well before Scarlett's anorexia forced her into rehab.  But I couldn't help but suspect that the network execs used her anorexia as a convenient excuse for to ignore her character and instead focus more on other characters(cause apparently someone thought Jake needed more screentime), I always wondered why the execs thought it would be easier to cut her out of most of season 5 altogether instead of working around her rehab. True she was in a residential facility, but only for two months, surely the network could've made arrangements with the facility to have her do filming a couple times of week(Keifer Sutherland did have such an arrangement for 24 while he was in jail for his D.U.I. where the jail would've let him out once a week to do filming for season 7, the only reason that didn't end up happening is because the writers strike led to season 7 getting delayed, so he opted to do all his jail time at once) and if that wasn't possible, surely they could've delayed the season some more until she was out of the facility, seeing as it had already been delayed once before. 

I think what happened was the writers were starting to run out of ideas for Kyra and they saw Scarlett's anorexia as the perfect opportunity to move on with the show without her character, and that was something that always bugged me about me season 5(don't get me wrong I still enjoyed that season, but Kyra's absence for most of it was very noticeable for me. On a related note I was thinking of doing another topic where people could make suggestions for what Kyra would've said in the episodes where she didn't appear).  I just somehow imagine if it had been one of the other actors who was suffering from anorexia, that the network execs would've been willing to work with them so they could still be in the season.  The fact that the network was not willing to work with Scarlett(the execs apparently forced her off the show, while the cast and her parents certainly wanted her to get help, I can't imagine they were happy that the show was going on without her) tells me that the execs thought so little of Kyra as a character that they could just continue season 5 like normal without even acknowledging her absence, and that really rubbed me the wrong way.  

I remember all the suspense of whether the show was cancelled or not after season 5, and I was pretty angry at the prospect of never getting any further developments for Kyra as a character, so I was delighted when she returned in season 6 and openly acknowledged Scarlett's disorder.  Though I did feel like Kyra was somewhat underutilized in that season too, as she only had a handful of subplots compared to previous seasons.

Sorry for my long rambling post, this is just something I wanted to get off my chest and this forum seemed like the best place for it since TV.com's communities are barely active(god I miss the old TV.com forums so much, there was one guy on the Reba forums who did really damn good fan-fiction, he seriously could've been a writer for the show).

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/24/2015 at 9:00 PM, Bastet said:

I generally only stop to watch seasons two through four, and didn't discover the show until it was in syndication, but I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed it and wound up watching the series the whole way through and buying the first four seasons on DVD. 

It sounds terrible on paper, and I don't think much of McEntire as an actor (hell of a singing voice, though), but the cast works well together, Barbara Jean and Van are terrific characters (when they're the two who read worst to me on paper), the evolving relationship between Barbara Jean and Reba is worth the price of admission, and the writers do a pretty good job of exploring the dynamics of a blended family.

It's alarming to watch Scarlett Pomers get so skinny, and it was an interesting choice to never address Kyra's absence.  But I love what they do when she comes back -- "Where have you been?"  It's a ripoff of Roseanne when Lecy Goranson returns as Becky, but it works here too.  Does anyone who watched in real time remember if it was known at the time her absence was due to treatment for anorexia?  Because Kyra's "Getting something to eat" answer seems like a reference, especially since they did it twice.

I was always kind of bothered that season 5 went on without her, it struck me as more then a little disrespectful for the execs to not even try to work around her rehab so she could still be on the show.  I just couldn't imagine them doing that with any of the adult characters on the show if one of their actors happened to be dealing with anorexia. I get the sense the writers were running out of ideas for Kyra and the execs saw Scarlett's anorexia as a get-out-of-jail free card to not have to write her character anymore.  For the few times she did show up in season 5, I could sense that her character was starting to go the same route as Carmen did in season 5 of George Lopez, where she stopped getting her own subplots and only showed up for a joke or two per episode. So even if Scarlett hadn't had her battle with anorexia(or the show hadn't nearly gotten cancelled and then delayed before season 5 started production, as Scarlett mentioned in interviews how that was a major factor in her extreme weight loss, so nice going there execs!) I still get the feeling Kyra would've largely faded into the background, only showing up every once in a while for the occasional joke or two.  

Edited by darkrage6
On 7/17/2016 at 10:24 AM, Big Mother said:

I'm around episode 6 and loving it. Brock and Reba have so much chemistry I'm still scratching my head why he would cheat on her with that ditzy, airhead, empty-brain Barbara Jean. In general, why are so many characters painted as stupid? Van is so dim, I wouldn't marry him even if I was pregnant with his kid. Ugh.

To be fair he does get considerably smarter as the show goes on(though he still has has blunders), and honestly Cheyenne's often not that bright herself, so I think they make a perfect couple.

On 9/17/2017 at 8:18 PM, aquarian1 said:

I felt the same way when I "discovered" the show the same way, via syndication, a couple of years ago.

I caught season 6 when it originally ran, and I remember being shocked when it ended, cause before watching it, I wasn't aware that episode 13 of that season was the final episode as I was used to the previous seasons having 22 episodes.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:19 PM, msani19 said:

This was a show that I oddly found myself enjoying when it was on. I remember that the show was canceled, not that Reba decided to end it. It was still funny and probably had another year in it. If it wasn't for the network change from the WB to the CW, I think that they might have had another year. The way it happened seemed to take the cast by surprise.

I really thought the show was fun and pretty well acted. I don't remember if this was Reba's first acting job, but she did well in this role (but not so much in the subsequent role she had – that was rough!)

I did find it fascinating that Reba really never got to have a long-lasting relationship or even a friend outside of the family. I remember the woman from the 1st season who was her best friend, but I didn't like the character. I'm disappointed that they just didn't find another real friend for Reba. I will say that despite it being a funny plot point, I was always annoyed with Barbara Jean wanting to be Reba's BFF. I know they got a lot of laughs from "you stole my husband!" but come one, Reba had to have been a freaking saint to put up with her and Brock the way she did. All Barbara Jean would have gotten from me is “bitch, get out of my house before I drag your extra tall behind outta here and don’t you dare walk back in here”. But that’s just me :-)

She did do some acting before this series, most notably in the first Tremors film, she was pretty funny there.

• Love 1
On 10/21/2017 at 7:46 AM, readster said:

Good question, especially when the main plot was around how her husband of so many years left her for his assistant and had a baby with her right afterwards. Something that bothered me, when we met Barbara Jean's father, how he hated Brock. But, oh blinded that his daughter had a hand in the affair and then had a baby with him. No, why would she have any fault in that. I hated how Kira was written as the series went along. Her jealous that her niece was getting all the attention, feeling she get more attention moving in with Brock and BJ, then being teased and bullied by classmates about her sister having a baby as a senior in high school. Because you know, teen pregnancies are a 4 letter word. As they had the principal say: "In our world, sex doesn't exist." Over the course of the series, they treated people as brainless rednecks if it they were in the education or political system in the world of Reba. I remember one school writing letters going: "I'm sorry, but we are not like that, we still love the show, but stop acting like we live on another planet here in Texas." I think Reba deserved to have a more serious adult relationship, but barely lasted 2 episodes. 

Well the sad part is some places really ARE like that, Abstinence-only education in high schools was a real controversy at the time the show was airing(and it's attempting to make a comeback under the current administration) and i'm sure the school principal character was the show's way of taking shots at that sort of thing.  

I thought the principal was over-the-top until I heard about Rick Perry. 

The way Kyra was written felt realistic to me.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:05 AM, readster said:

I felt Brock never learned from all the crap he did over the years, especially in the flashbacks of him early on. How he "fell" for Barbra Jean made little sense. They could have gone some good places when they introduced that he was clinically depressed that lasted for several episodes. Even BJ's reaction thinking that someone shouldn't be depressed if they have a wife and family at home. Then learning that depression doesn't work that way. However, by the time we got to the final season, Brock had really taken off to super ass, of course the actor was also starting to moonlight on Boston Legal at the time. For Van, when they had him start realizing how he had to work hard for things and be a good role model, he was great in the role. When they wanted to keep back peddling on him being stupid or more naive than Barbra Jean, it made him look horrible. Reason why I got tired of Kira's character after the move out. You got why she wanted to move out, she wanted to be a regular teen, but then she hated being a regular teen. I also know that the actresses eating disorder was playing a role in things too, but Kira started becoming an entitled brat more than her sister later on. 

I disagree on Kyra, it made sense how she was written.  Part of her attitude stemmed from stress over Barbra Jean and Brock fighting.  Kyra already had to live through seeing her parents split up, so I can see how her dad and step-mom then fighting and separating had a negative effect on her.

This sitcom proves that you don't have to have an original plot, or be over the top to be successful.  All you have to have are performers with comic timing, good writing, and chemistry amongst the actors.  Melissa Peterman and Reba E. had great comic chemistry that anytime Melissa Peterman got another sitcom (baby daddy, etc).. I always knew Reba would be guest starring :)

• Love 5

Yeah, I felt that we started seeing that in season 4 towards the end. Some of the things with Kyra made sense and then some made me go: "Really? Seriously?" After I had read about Scarlet's disorder. Things made sense, but really, Growing Pains way back in the day found a way to work things out with Tracy Gold when she was dealing with anorexia. They not only had her go to college, but even had her show up on occasion. Same with Kesley Grammer on Fraiser when he went into rehab or Matthew Perry on Friends with his pain killer addiction. They made things work and while they didn't go into detail on their problems in the show. There was acknowledgement. I felt that the writers decided to focus on season 5 since the CW was happening and they knew they were not a favorite with TPTB during that time. So, I think they were also trying to prove they could still work as a series with one of the main kids gone. 

Sorry but I hated Kyra. The season she was gone was fun and it was a relief not needing to brace yourself knowing one of her nasty remarks was coming. 

It was like they want the character to be Darlene Connor but she couldn't pull it off. She just seemed mean without layers. And the actress' perpetual sneer didn't help.

I hope Scarlett is happy and healthy but I just can't stand Kyra.

• Love 12
(edited)

Early Kyra was an interesting character.  I remember the episode where she got to go on a trip to Washington but then couldn’t go because Reba decided to spend the limited money she had to pay for Cheyenne and Van who had missed college registration to party or something.  I understood Kyra’s anger she had done the right thing and earned an awesome trip but perpetual screwup Cheyanne kept getting second second chances.  I think this was the last straw and when she moved in with Her dad and I didn’t really blame her.  

Earlier then that when she got into a fight at school and wouldn’t tell anyone that she did it in part because everyone was calling Cheyenne names.   Of course everyone assuming she was like her sister had hurt but she still tried to defend her sister at that point.

Plus I always thought Kyra and Van had an interesting relationship.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Early Kyra was an interesting character.  I think this was the last straw and when she moved in with Her dad and I didn’t really blame her.  

Earlier then that when she got into a fight at school and wouldn’t tell anyone that she did it in part because everyone was calling Cheyenne names.   Of course everyone assuming she was like her sister had hurt but she still tried to defend her sister at that point.

Plus I always thought Kyra and Van had an interesting relationship.

Early Kyra was interesting, but later on after she did move in with Van and BJ, she started walking that line between interesting and downright hateful. The school fight story line could have been interesting until it was revealed that Kyra wanted to get kicked out of school because she couldn't stand the bullying. Which then kind of made little sense, because she hated being bullied, but then punched a girl who was calling Cheyenne a "slut". The story line was trying to have it both ways, that bully is horrible and usually made by people who have their own issues and at this point Chey and Van had been out of high school for almost 2 years at that point. I kind of wanted to roll my eyes, because you know, there were no teen pregnancies in the 90s and early 2000s. Hell, it was becoming so common that Mtv created reality TV shows based off of them. 

That said, when Kyra came back in the final season, it was a nice balance. I think at that time, they had her basically grow up and realize that things were not as bad as she believed. People were petty and Chey and Van were never going to change. However, her purposely putting the garage door up in Van's garage door office was mean. Plus, also pained how stupid they made Van over the course. Seriously, he had the books and stuff fall from having the garage door put up the first time. He couldn't have move said shelves or been: "I didn't think the first time about that, won't make the same mistake." 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Early Kyra was an interesting character.  I remember the episode where she got to go on a trip to Washington but then couldn’t go because Reba decided to spend the limited money she had to pay for Cheyenne and Van who had missed college registration to party or something.

Cheyenne had missed so many classes she didn't get credit for some of her courses, so if she didn't earn them in summer school she wasn't going to qualify as a full-time student anymore and would thus lose Elizabeth's slot in the school's daycare.  So the money that Reba was going to use for Kyra's trip was used for Cheyenne's tuition instead.

I love that storyline, where Reba tells Cheyenne she's afraid she's screwing up by bailing her out all the time, that what she really should do is let her fall on her ass, but because of Elizabeth she can't bring herself to do it.  And when Kyra has finally had enough of coming in last in that house, and decides to go live at Brock's instead.  I may have actually cheered her.

• Love 7

This was a fun sitcom but not a very advanced one.    Not much really progressed from one episode to the next and characters personalities would chance as needed.   I did really like how Reba and Barbara Jean’s friends progressed.  The one thing that bothered me and this might have been Reba’s choice mind you is the lack of a relationship with her character to anyone outside the family.  There was an occasional guy but it always ended by episode end.   Still I will watch most episodes if I catch them on my tv.

• Love 1

It's funny you mention that.  I was just coming here to post about Reba's boyfriends/love interests.  The one that lasted the longest was my least favorite - Brian.  (and they've been airing his episodes)  He always came across as "too cool"/smarmy to me.  His answers and replies were always too perfect.  Why he lasted several episodes instead of Dr Morgan (yeah, I know - James Denton), or any of the others is beyond me.  Even the one-offs I liked more than Bryan - the Greg Evigan plumber character (too soon for her), the crying dad, why did Reverend Yummy Pants never return and ask her out? There was also the bicycle rider/musician she roped into pretending to be her boyfriend when her family followed her to dinner that one time.  They seemed to hit it off.  Heck, I even liked Buzzard (although not really a love interest)!  I will say I didn't love the "bad kisser" Parker Reynolds as a love interest, even though I like Peter Scolari.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

It's funny you mention that.  I was just coming here to post about Reba's boyfriends/love interests.  The one that lasted the longest was my least favorite - Brian.  (and they've been airing his episodes)  He always came across as "too cool"/smarmy to me.  His answers and replies were always too perfect.  Why he lasted several episodes instead of Dr Morgan (yeah, I know - James Denton), or any of the others is beyond me.  Even the one-offs I liked more than Bryan - the Greg Evigan plumber character (too soon for her), the crying dad, why did Reverend Yummy Pants never return and ask her out? There was also the bicycle rider/musician she roped into pretending to be her boyfriend when her family followed her to dinner that one time.  They seemed to hit it off.  Heck, I even liked Buzzard (although not really a love interest)!  I will say I didn't love the "bad kisser" Parker Reynolds as a love interest, even though I like Peter Scolari.  

I liked her one-offs better then the longer term ones too. Especially Brian. I really couldn't stand him. He seemed to smarmy to me too. Its too bad I really would have liked to see her in a good long term relationship.  I really liked the plumber but he was too soon. Too bad he didn't come back later. I don't know why the Yummy Reverend didn't return either. Both would have been so much better then Brian. 

• Love 2
(edited)
40 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I liked her one-offs better then the longer term ones too. Especially Brian. I really couldn't stand him. He seemed to smarmy to me too. Its too bad I really would have liked to see her in a good long term relationship.  I really liked the plumber but he was too soon. Too bad he didn't come back later. I don't know why the Yummy Reverend didn't return either. Both would have been so much better then Brian. 

Ironically I thought Reba had the most chemistry with Van’s agent.

Yeah I know the character wasn’t gay.  But I think that was a huge problem with Reba McEntire not really being an actor.  She didn’t particularly have any chemistry with the romantic pairings.  Even Brock seemed incredibly forced at times and it wasn’t her fault.  

Then again there were times when her lack of acting experience didn’t matter.  Like when dealing with any of her kids or ironically Barbara Jean.   Reba McEntire and Mellisa Peterman has hella chemistry.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Oh yeah, I liked Sadie, too!  I thought she had chemistry with Dr Morgan, maybe not off the charts, but it was there.  And with Brock I thought they had the "known each other so long" kind of chemistry.  Definitely agree about with Melissa Peterman though!  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Reba McEntire and Mellisa Peterman has hella chemistry.

Reba and Barbra Jean had my favorite relationship of the show, followed by Reba and Van.

I like that Reba was happy not being in a relationship, and that - other than the time Lori Ann dragged her out to do so - she never went man hunting; if she happened to meet someone she found interesting, she was happy to go out with him, but she wasn't actively looking.  It's refreshing on general principle, since TV rarely presents women as happily single, and realistic, as a lot of women who get divorced (or widowed) after long marriages that began when they were young do not get into another marriage/long-term relationship for quite some time, if ever.

And Brian was a drip, but it nevertheless bothered me that they didn't sleep together, because they logically would have, and I'm sure the only reason they didn't was not to freak out the crazy-conservative faction of McEntire's fans.  And I think that - probably even more than organic storytelling - was also behind the decision to never again have her date one man man long enough for sex to even be an issue.

So I'm happy with the result, but salty about the reason behind it.

Oh, and add me in as enjoying Sadie (I love Wendie Malick in everything I see her in).  I'd have loved to at least heard reference in subsequent episodes to their friendship continuing, even if we never saw her again. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Reba and Barbra Jean had my favorite relationship of the show, followed by Reba and Van.

I like that Reba was happy not being in a relationship, and that - other than the time Lori Ann dragged her out to do so - she never went man hunting; if she happened to meet someone she found interesting, she was happy to go out with him, but she wasn't actively looking.  It's refreshing on general principle, since TV rarely presents women as happily single, and realistic, as a lot of women who get divorced (or widowed) after long marriages that began when they were young do not get into another marriage/long-term relationship for quite some time, if ever.

I also liked that Reba needed to work again because she knew that she wasn't going to get a lot of money from Brock despite everything. However, her switch to real estate while a long playing story arc (plus successful since Van joined her). I wish they would have gone back to the teaching side. Sure, she was fired from high school, but she could have done middle school or elementary. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, readster said:

I also liked that Reba needed to work again because she knew that she wasn't going to get a lot of money from Brock despite everything. However, her switch to real estate while a long playing story arc (plus successful since Van joined her). I wish they would have gone back to the teaching side. Sure, she was fired from high school, but she could have done middle school or elementary. 

I did too. Although it did surprise me how long it took for her to go back to work. I can't imagine they had that much money to support their house, her and the three kids, Brock's condo, Barbra Jean, the wedding and two babies. Barbra Jean bugged me in the beginning but I really did like it showing a divorce, remarriage to the person their father cheated with, and teen pregnancy given how common those really are. I've had friends and family who went through two or three of those and their reactions on the show were so spot on.  It was nice to see adults and kids going through it and it was hard at times but they got through it. I really liked Kira's reason for not wanting go to her dad's wedding or Cheyenne not wanting to criticize Van in the beginning thinking that's why her parents divorced or later in I think season three Cheyenne freaking out about Van giving a ride home to a co-worker because her dad cheated on her mom. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I did too. Although it did surprise me how long it took for her to go back to work. I can't imagine they had that much money to support their house, her and the three kids, Brock's condo, Barbra Jean, the wedding and two babies. Barbra Jean bugged me in the beginning but I really did like it showing a divorce, remarriage to the person their father cheated with, and teen pregnancy given how common those really are. I've had friends and family who went through two or three of those and their reactions on the show were so spot on.  It was nice to see adults and kids going through it and it was hard at times but they got through it. I really liked Kira's reason for not wanting go to her dad's wedding or Cheyenne not wanting to criticize Van in the beginning thinking that's why her parents divorced or later in I think season three Cheyenne freaking out about Van giving a ride home to a co-worker because her dad cheated on her mom. 

I also liked that even Barbra Jean's family didn't accept Brock either. Sure, her dad gave her a free pass, but in his mind, she was making the best out of a bad situation. Even if it was more on her that made Brock cheat. However, it was a more realistic portrayal that both sides of the family were: "WTF! You think we can just act all normal after all this?" It was refreshing for a sitcom. I do agree on Reba at home later, considering how old the youngest was by the time the series started. You think Reba would have been working if not PT at Brock's practice at the time, but at least teaching or tutoring. It was more of: "Oh, well  now I have no excuse not to work, can't lose the house even if Brock is paying for the mortgage. That was another thing, despite everything, Brock had to be paying out a ton of money and also more reasons why he was doing the professional tournaments. He knew he had to bring in some extra cash. He was paying two mortgages and child support to his youngest kids and still had to pay Reba. She wasn't getting remarried anytime soon. 

• Love 1

I'm missing my Reba fix in the mornings.  Whatever Freeform is showing in it's place is no good.  Mostly, it was background noise as I got ready in the morning, but I liked that it came on at 6am (central).  (Golden Girls is my other "getting ready" TV show, but that doesn't come on until 7am (on Hallmark?), although sometimes TV Land shows it in the morning.)  I know UP will be airing it soon, starting in August, however I don't think it's slated for the early morning so I'm not sure I'll be watching this much any more. 😞 

• Love 1
On 7/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, readster said:

I also liked that even Barbra Jean's family didn't accept Brock either. Sure, her dad gave her a free pass, but in his mind, she was making the best out of a bad situation. Even if it was more on her that made Brock cheat. However, it was a more realistic portrayal that both sides of the family were: "WTF! You think we can just act all normal after all this?" It was refreshing for a sitcom. I do agree on Reba at home later, considering how old the youngest was by the time the series started. You think Reba would have been working if not PT at Brock's practice at the time, but at least teaching or tutoring. It was more of: "Oh, well  now I have no excuse not to work, can't lose the house even if Brock is paying for the mortgage. That was another thing, despite everything, Brock had to be paying out a ton of money and also more reasons why he was doing the professional tournaments. He knew he had to bring in some extra cash. He was paying two mortgages and child support to his youngest kids and still had to pay Reba. She wasn't getting remarried anytime soon. 

I always liked that too. I hated Barbra Jean's dad but I didn't mind that he hated Brock. Its understandable since he left his wife for Barbra Jean, that's not exactly going to endure him to anyone's parents. I really do like that both sides of the family were very WTF at the family. It really made sense. How can you just be around your ex and his wife, the woman he left you for. But I do like Reba telling her mother that he's still her kids father and that it seems to be working for them. Which it did. I also liked that Kyra held out the longest against liking Barbra Jean. The two bonding at Barbra Jean's family reunion and Kira convincing her stepmother to stand up against her horrible sister was awesome and that they did. When Jake was spending so much time at his dad I loved Reba wondering why and thinking maybe because it was less chaotic and they had more family meals together and it wasn't. He just liked both.

Watching season one on UPtv its such a good show. Van and Cheyenne are clearly idiots but they love each other and its really nice to see Van stand stay with Cheyenne even after his parents kick him out and disown him. Julia Duffy does such a good job as the bitchy principal I love Reba telling her she's starting to believe all those things written about her in the bathroom. Van not wanting to sit out the game but ends up deciding to stay because of how Cheyenne's being treated. 

Jake's line in Brock's Swan Song-Jake has a nightmare after Barbra Jean told him what Heaven was like an angel takes you to Heaven and everyone is there including Frank Sinatra. Jake comes running downstairs telling Van and Cheyenne he had a dream about being taken to Heaven by an angel and then Frank Sinatra beat him up. 

Its too bad that Parker ended up being such a bad kisser! He seemed great except for that part. I wonder if he does end up Julia Duffy who gave him her card before leaving the café.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I also liked that Kyra held out the longest against liking Barbra Jean.

It made perfect sense for her to be the kid most upset about it all.  Cheyenne is self-absorbed on a good day, so when she's a pregnant teen bride she's definitely going to be focused on herself, and Jake is too young to fully understand what cheating means, so he just adjusts to having two homes and keeps going.  But Kyra is old enough to understand what Brock and Barbra Jean did, and is at a life stage that's inherently confusing and frustrating in general for girls, so it really hits her.  And she's angry with Brock, but he's her dad and she loves him, so it's a lot less complicated to focus on Barbra Jean. 

I love that they don't force her to be in the wedding, and I like the moment when Reba realizes the main reason she doesn't want to is that it's the thing that makes this new situation real.

I think season one is pretty rough, and the show is a lot better in seasons two through four, but there are still some moments that are gems. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It made perfect sense for her to be the kid most upset about it all.  Cheyenne is self-absorbed on a good day, so when she's a pregnant teen bride she's definitely going to be focused on herself, and Jake is too young to fully understand what cheating means, so he just adjusts to having two homes and keeps going.  But Kyra is old enough to understand what Brock and Barbra Jean did, and is at a life stage that's inherently confusing and frustrating in general for girls, so it really hits her.  And she's angry with Brock, but he's her dad and she loves him, so it's a lot less complicated to focus on Barbra Jean. 

I love that they don't force her to be in the wedding, and I like the moment when Reba realizes the main reason she doesn't want to is that it's the thing that makes this new situation real.

I think season one is pretty rough, and the show is a lot better in seasons two through four, but there are still some moments that are gems. 

It really does. It makes sense one kid would hold out the longest and it makes sense Kyra would be the one for those reasons. Her dad cheated on her mom, left her mom for another woman and she had to deal with all of that and the other woman becoming her new stepmother. That's so much for someone that age to deal with. Hating her dad and wanting to be mad at him, but she still loved him. Also because Barbra Jean is Barbra Jean she doesn't really give any of the kids time to adjust. She's right there when they visit or go to dinner with their dad. That's not easy. Not only is Cheyenne self absorbed but she doesn't really have to deal with it the same way Kyra and Jake do. Their the ones who have to spend the day with their dad and Barbra Jean, dinners and visits. Cheyenne really doesn't because she's 17, pregnant and married she doesn't have to go spend the day, dinner or the night at her dad's. But you do see how it does effect Cheyenne she doesn't want to end up like her parents divorced after 20 years and scared when she learns Van was with a female co-worker. Her dad had an affair and it was so out of the blue for her and her sister and brother. It caused so much hurt, pain and so much more.  I do like Kyra not wanting her mother to be happy in season two because people shouldn't be happy for divorcing. Its suppose to be miserable. Which it was but then it moves on. But Kyra doesn't really understand that.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

But you do see how it does effect Cheyenne she doesn't want to end up like her parents divorced after 20 years and scared when she learns Van was with a female co-worker. Her dad had an affair and it was so out of the blue for her and her sister and brother. It caused so much hurt, pain and so much more.  I do like Kyra not wanting her mother to be happy in season two because people shouldn't be happy for divorcing. Its suppose to be miserable. Which it was but then it moves on. But Kyra doesn't really understand that.

That was something also, Cheyenne had so much happening to her at 17, she focused on the ones that were right in front of her. Expecting a baby, be married so young, Van's parents hating her and so forth. Why add to it and worry about BJ. Even though you did see hints of it. Yet, some time passes before she really sees the effects of it. Especially at the end of the series, when she is expecting another baby and worried about money, finishing school and screwing things up. 

I consider season 1 that the writers were going through with that family was. They were in different territory than a series at the time did. They were trying to balance between being funny and being serious and also trying to be that this was an adjustment. By season 3 they were really in their stride. I think the change in network ownership and so forth is what hurt the show. Though they did drop plot lines like Brock's depression or that Barbara Jean was wondering if she had more issues than she was letting on. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, readster said:

That was something also, Cheyenne had so much happening to her at 17, she focused on the ones that were right in front of her. Expecting a baby, be married so young, Van's parents hating her and so forth. Why add to it and worry about BJ. Even though you did see hints of it. Yet, some time passes before she really sees the effects of it. Especially at the end of the series, when she is expecting another baby and worried about money, finishing school and screwing things up. 

There really was. She had all that on her plate and knew the odds of marrying that young and it being successful. Her senior year instead of going the way she always wanted didn't. She had to deal with a pregnancy and marriage, she couldn't be on the drill team like she thought. The principal tried to kick her out because of she got pregnant but not Van. And realize that some dumb stuff she did like mooning the football players her kid might end up seeing one day because someone put it on the internet. Van would get stressed out too. He wanted to play pro-football but now it wasn't just him but how he'd support his family. He didn't have the support from his parents and from what he says about them and how happy he seems to be with the Harts, I doubt he ever really had their support unless he was doing what his dad wanted him to do. Cheyenne got scared a lot too. Like going to birthing class and terrified after seeing the birthing video, scared when she couldn't calm baby Henry down and soon would have a baby she couldn't hand back when she started crying. Practicing parenting with Kyra because they would one day be the parents dealing with a kid who skipped school.

I consider season 1 that the writers were going through with that family was. They were in different territory than a series at the time did. They were trying to balance between being funny and being serious and also trying to be that this was an adjustment. By season 3 they were really in their stride. I think the change in network ownership and so forth is what hurt the show. Though they did drop plot lines like Brock's depression or that Barbara Jean was wondering if she had more issues than she was letting on. 

I really wish they hadn't that was an interesting plot line and kind of made sense with Brock. He was already going through a mid life crisis before they separated and before Barbra Jean and his issues with his father. Its entirely possible underneath all that was depression. Barbra Jean not wanting to hear or deal with it because underneath she's always had the fear that Brock made a mistake with her. But it could explain a lot. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I really wish they hadn't that was an interesting plot line and kind of made sense with Brock. He was already going through a mid life crisis before they separated and before Barbra Jean and his issues with his father. Its entirely possible underneath all that was depression. Barbra Jean not wanting to hear or deal with it because underneath she's always had the fear that Brock made a mistake with her. But it could explain a lot. 

That was another thing, BJ really also couldn't really get how depressed worked. In her own words: "You have me and your baby, why would you be depressed?" She didn't get that part at all. Even in the flashbacks when we saw Brock and Reba first meeting Barbara Jean and Brock's exact words: "I pity the person who settles with her." There was such great back story on Brock that dealing with issues of his own father, his mid life crisis that erupted before the affair happened. Having depression and being officially diagnosed with it. It made COMPLETE sense, but then it was: "Well, the WB is gone, the CW is here, we are moving your show time and other show runners are leaving the network. So, we are going to dump what was working with the show and we get Kyra back so, just forget that stuff happened. I believe the cast found out the show wasn't coming back just as the final episode was being written. So, that's why it had such a moving on in the final episode, but you could tell things were rushed by the time the final photo was taken at Cheyanne and Van's new house.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, readster said:

That was another thing, BJ really also couldn't really get how depressed worked. In her own words: "You have me and your baby, why would you be depressed?" She didn't get that part at all. Even in the flashbacks when we saw Brock and Reba first meeting Barbara Jean and Brock's exact words: "I pity the person who settles with her." There was such great back story on Brock that dealing with issues of his own father, his mid life crisis that erupted before the affair happened. Having depression and being officially diagnosed with it. It made COMPLETE sense, but then it was: "Well, the WB is gone, the CW is here, we are moving your show time and other show runners are leaving the network. So, we are going to dump what was working with the show and we get Kyra back so, just forget that stuff happened. I believe the cast found out the show wasn't coming back just as the final episode was being written. So, that's why it had such a moving on in the final episode, but you could tell things were rushed by the time the final photo was taken at Cheyanne and Van's new house.

I remember watching it when they first mentioned depression it made so much sense. It really fit well with Brock. So many things he said in the past about him and Reba having small problems that he didn't want to deal with, skipping out on a lot of their counseling sessions, and his issues with his dad who missed most of his life and Brock being so angry with him. I really wish we got to see them deal with it. With them having Barbra Jean understanding as it went along because a lot of people are like Barbra Jean. They don't understand depression at all or someone who has a good marriage, four great kids, a granddaughter, and great life could be depressed? 

I do love in the pilot Cheyenne assaulted the bailiff. It seems out of character of her later. Jake bit the court reporter. Do you wish they kept the therapy sessions or glad they dropped them? I don't mind them dropping them but Nell Carter was awesome. 

12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I remember watching it when they first mentioned depression it made so much sense. It really fit well with Brock. So many things he said in the past about him and Reba having small problems that he didn't want to deal with, skipping out on a lot of their counseling sessions, and his issues with his dad who missed most of his life and Brock being so angry with him. I really wish we got to see them deal with it. With them having Barbra Jean understanding as it went along because a lot of people are like Barbra Jean. They don't understand depression at all or someone who has a good marriage, four great kids, a granddaughter, and great life could be depressed? 

It's very interesting, but Van had a very similar life to Brock growing up. Both his parents didn't really expected much of him or wanted him to do what they wanted. Similar to Brock, he went into a career his father didn't understand. Didn't really approve of Reba or her family and felt Brock walked away from him. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, readster said:

It's very interesting, but Van had a very similar life to Brock growing up. Both his parents didn't really expected much of him or wanted him to do what they wanted. Similar to Brock, he went into a career his father didn't understand. Didn't really approve of Reba or her family and felt Brock walked away from him. 

Yes he did except Brock's dad walked out on the family when he was a kid. They still saw each other I don't know how often but fought when they did and his dad was disappointed with pretty much everything Brock did. But it adds to Brock's worries that he's done the same thing although its different and he does try to be a good dad.

Its amazing Van was able to do that given his age. In Tea and Antipathy Van thinks they've made up when they allow him and Cheyenne to come back and give him a truck. He doesn't realize later that they only meant Van and not Cheyenne. Reba helps get him going when telling them off but he finally does and its great. Plus Reba's right a 17 year old boy agreeing to stay with his pregnant girlfriend, marry her and go through the teen pregnancy and baby raising together? That's still rarely happens today. So many bolt and their parents let them. Van didn't. He did the right thing. When he realizes his parents' won't let him bring Cheyenne it doesn't change his mind. I do love Van telling his dad that he wasn't even a good dad, that Reba was a better dad then he was. Then calling Reba Dad and leaving, and Reba answering back as they left and him calling Reba Dad again at the end of the episode. Van got a better family when his parents kicked him out.

• Love 4

There's so many good episodes. I really like Mommy Nearest Reba ended up really like having Barbra Jean cooking, cleaning and watching the kids. I do get why she's upset about Jake calling Barbra Jean Mommy, any mom probably would be if their kid called their stepmom that. I can see why Barbra Jean was happy for the reason she told Reba that Jake comparing her to his own mom but also the one she didn't mention that she came so far with one of her stepkids that they liked her enough to call her mommy. I kind of liked Van's and Cheyenne's fight and Brock pointing out they don't have to do the same things together but ending with the two deciding to go hang out with Elizabeth.

On 6/14/2018 at 6:15 AM, readster said:

However, her purposely putting the garage door up in Van's garage door office was mean. Plus, also pained how stupid they made Van over the course. Seriously, he had the books and stuff fall from having the garage door put up the first time. He couldn't have move said shelves or been: "I didn't think the first time about that, won't make the same mistake." 

Okay, it was mean of Kyra, and it was dumb of Van, but honestly it was one of the funniest moments of the whole show, for me.

• Love 1
On 8/15/2019 at 10:27 AM, ForReal said:

Okay, it was mean of Kyra, and it was dumb of Van, but honestly it was one of the funniest moments of the whole show, for me.

The way it was played and the reaction, was so spot on it was hilarious!

• Love 2

Flowers for Van is so hilarious. I love Brock and Reba accidently talking to each other online, Cheyenne thinking the dad sent her flowers, Barbra Jean's crazy idea to send him flowers but with nasty card, Van getting the flowers instead and confused. 

Season 4's Thanksgiving is a weird episode. It really seems like it makes more sense for it to be a lot sooner. I didn't like Reba forcing Van and Cheyenne to cancel on going to Barbra Jean or really her remarks later about them soon being gone. Its odd they didn't decide to rotate Thanksgiving. Reba says she always has Thanksgiving, so not once since the divorce they rotated? They'd been divorced for three years then plus Van and Cheyenne are still no closer to being able to be on their own. Its weird that Barbra Jean is all jealous of Reba being the center again they've all been family for three years. Reba says when Henry's older and they have more kids Barbra Jean will be the center, so she can't be the center of her own family until then? Even though she has one son, three stepchildren, a stepgranddaughter and she loves all of them and they all seem to love her by that point. The rest of family in the living room talking about that previous Thanksgiving and playing football, then deciding to go play and having a good time even Reba with Brock. It really felt like it should have been in the second Thanksgiving.

I realized they need to keep Van and Cheyenne still live with Reba but it does get annoying in the later seasons how little either one does around the house. They live their rent free and have had money at different points but never give some to Reba to help out or do any cleaning, cooking, etc. It would have been nice to see both grow a little each season.

Edited by andromeda331
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I realized they need to keep Van and Cheyenne still live with Reba but it does get annoying in the later seasons how little either one does around the house. They live their rent free and have had money at different points but never give some to Reba to help out or do any cleaning, cooking, etc. It would have been nice to see both grow a little each season.

Shows get really bad at this when they "force" characters to stay in a specific spot due to feeling it will ruin the feel of the show or they won't know how to write it. Shows that were notorious for that were: Full House, Rosanne, Two and a Half Men, Last Man Standing and 7th Heaven. Because God forbid they spend money to build new sets or keep the characters interacting in a realistic way with it being more natural. I do know that they said if Reba would have continued they would have had them in both houses more regularly since the set was already built for Cheyenne and Van's new house. Which would have made sense with babysitting and being so close. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I didn't like Reba forcing Van and Cheyenne to cancel on going to Barbra Jean or really her remarks later about them soon being gone. Its odd they didn't decide to rotate Thanksgiving. Reba says she always has Thanksgiving, so not once since the divorce they rotated?

Reba is incredibly unlikable in her entitlement at times, and the blended family logistics indeed do not make sense sometimes, but I guess give them points for consistent characterization?  Because she's regularly awful about such things.  And it's realistic, in that she's the one who was left (and the one whom they'd agreed would be the primary parent while they were married, with her staying home with the kids), so she has a Why should I have to give this up, when you're the one who split the family into two homes? attitude, but at some point you have to adapt to changed circumstances for everyone's sake and, yeah, she's pretty damn slow at that.

• Love 1

I'm watching "And God Created Van" right now (S05.E04) and I am reminded what a bad hair season this was for Reba and Van.  I don't remember if their hair was bad all season or just some, but I really didn't like Reba's long flippy do.  The flips are too high or something, and then too full.  Something is just off about it.  And Van has flat hair with a bad wave by his eye.  ETA: Van's hair was better the next episode. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I really didn't like Reba's long flippy do.  The flips are too high or something, and then too full.  Something is just off about it.

I'll have to pay attention to that. I remember liking her hair longer much better; thought she looked too boyish when it was really short.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2019 at 5:48 PM, aquarian1 said:

I'm watching "And God Created Van" right now (S05.E04) and I am reminded what a bad hair season this was for Reba and Van.  I don't remember if their hair was bad all season or just some, but I really didn't like Reba's long flippy do.  The flips are too high or something, and then too full.  Something is just off about it.  And Van has flat hair with a bad wave by his eye.  ETA: Van's hair was better the next episode. 

15 hours ago, ForReal said:

I'll have to pay attention to that. I remember liking her hair longer much better; thought she looked too boyish when it was really short.

8 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I agree that the really short wasn't the best.  I do like it a bit longer, maybe it's just how they were styling it. I will say, at this length it does look really cute when up, whether half up or all up.  

I agree I liked her hair better when it was longer. She looked really great in every style except the really short cut she had when the show begin.