Type keyword(s) to search

Mystery Diners - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It is fake. The whole show was fake. This restaurant is highly rated, on the local tour.... I don't get it.

I'm guessing that these restaurants always appear on shows like this for the exposure. Right at the start of the episode they always talk about their best dishes.

(edited)

I love how ridiculous this show is... it makes the recaps even better... P-Tail had me cracking up...

I know this show is the fakest faker that ever faked... but sometimes, I do think there are people dumb enough to try scams like this that inspire Charles and his crew to come up with some of these episodes.... though I'd expect they would be people who were caught immediately for being so stupid instead of making the owner look stupid that this has been happing for months under their nose.

Edited by Jjrmt

I'm surprised they didn't send the drone in to the basement with the night googles. This show. I love how fake it is. I know it's pointless to talk about the fakeyness, but if you are going to pay $125 for a "Civil War" something or other, don't you think you would actually know something about the Civil War? Like maybe Civil War buffs would be the ones to fork out that kind of dough and call bullshit on the whole thing? I'm just sayin'.

• Love 1

General Sherman started the Civil War when he was out shooting possum and he hit a Southern soldier instead?? Damn public educational system wrecking my mind with all that junk about Fort Sumter.        

• Love 1

The "acting" job by the people called in was bad. The bald guy was literally laughing when they were out on the sidewalk coming around the building. Nothing makes me want to go there and have a drink and watch people get tattooed.

I question this whole business idea.  Who wants to watch someone get tattooed while you drink and possibly eat?  That seems so unappetizing. 

Completely agreed!  Even without all the show fakery, assuming this place exists it seems so odd to me.  Maybe because I'm not a big tattoo person but even if I was, I'm pretty sure I don't want to watch someone getting one while I'm snacking on hot wings or a burger (or anything else). Ew.

Oh, it exists. A friend of mine lives not too far away, and says it's in a popular neighborhood and is always busy.

Ew. But thanks for confirming. Maybe the food is that good and/or the tattoo artists are that good. I can handle one or the other, there's just something about them together that makes me think bad idea. At least the tattoo part looked fairly sanitary. I just can't imagine watching that on purpose while eating or drinking.

Think about it... you get a little drunk, you suddenly want a tattoo. :)

lol true I guess. I think watching someone ELSE get a tattoo first might change my mind, but I see your point.

• Love 1

You want the TRUTH?  

You can't handle the truth.  If we even knew what went into the making of Mystery Diners, the hours, the planning, the intricacy, the schedule, and perceivably, the biggest challenge of all, getting restaurants and owners to agree to do the show in the first place, we'd all probably spend a lot of time praising this show that has lasted as long as it has, and continues to pull off a formula that brings in consistently high ratings.  It really does, just check out ZapIt.  It may be Food Network's little red headed stepchild, but for a show to surpass 10 seasons means one thing, it's bringing in the ad bucks, and the Network finance folks are laughing all the way to the bank.  Yeah, they have Guy Fieri......who doesn't like him?  But that's one dude, a couple cameras, a producer, and a country full of good spots to go eat.  They have their "American Idol of Food" show, their guy that eats monstrous proportions, and a bevy of competition shows that just replace singing talent with culinary talents.  But this show, this little juggernaut of a show, plays with high tech toys, hyperbolic story lines, and continues to draw those viewers who are simply in it for the "Whodunnit" reveal, or the hilarious moment when Charles, who could pass as a bored high school algebra teacher with a seriously devious kinky private life, explodes into anger that clearly makes even him uncomfortable and red in the face.  Yet episode in and episode out, these guys have sucked you in, made you look, and made you wait, even though the writing is written on the walls from the beginning of the episode.  

I praise these guys.  I know what it takes to wire up a command center like the room Charles hosts from, and the miles of wiring, cabling, rigging, and the small army that has to put this circus together week in and week out.

I'm sharing all this because  I've actually seen the show while they were shooting.  My retail neighbor and buddy two doors down owns a restaurant that was featured on the season that just aired, and he invited me over to check it out during their "Build" day, as the producers call it.  Backstory: a very pretty young producer came by a few days before and explained what would be happening over the 3 day process, and what kind of impact it would have on our shopping center and parking.  Very straightforward, very articulate, and very thoughtful.   She even bought some cupcakes from the shop next door for the crew.  This lovely lady gave me just enough information as not to give away what the show was, but intelligently described the process so that it alleviated any of my concerns.  The first day they would "build", the second day would be the big "shoot", and the third day would be a "smaller wrap up" shoot.  They even rented an empty retail space another door down from me,  carried in loads of tv's, cameras, and other interesting stuff..........and it was on the Big Shoot day that I saw Charles walk in....and boom, it all made sense, that was the Charles Command Center (or whatever they call it).....but then it didn't make sense.  How was it possible that this "absolute fake crappy pathetic lame" show that you all call it, could have such a professional, thoughtful, and from the looks of it, very organized crew, who genuinely appeared to be working their butts off, and not just standing around smoking cigarettes like most filming crews I've seen.  They've got quite the operation.     It's pretty fucking impressive.  Multiple trucks packed to the gills with all sorts of techy toys, lights, gear, stuff, stuff, and more stuff.  I've seen big commercials shooting in our area with 1/8 the amount of stuff these guys had.  Then they had this 20-30 foot trailer that said "TGP Security Systems" on it parked in back, with wires running in and out of it, and all around the complex....their mission control I guess.  I noticed some of the crew had shirts that had the same security company name "TGP" logo on them......perhaps to throw onlookers off the scent of something more interesting going down.  That's the only thing I could fault them for......the amount of people running around "posing" as a security company?  Unless they were preparing a security plan for God himself to come visit our little retail center, no security company on earth would ever have this many people, that many cameras, and not make people even more curious.  I could tell some of the crew wore the shirts kind of sheepishly, over their normal "set attire", as if they were disgusted by being part of a ridiculous illusion that just drew more attention than had they just shown up and done their thing.  I did sneak out back and had a cigarette with one young crewman who told me (while clearly biting his tounge) that they were shooting a food documentary for a new untitled show.  I swear he winked at me, or at least his demeanor did.  But the mother fucker smoked that cig fast, and was quickly back to work, allowing me to catch a glimpse inside the "mystery trailer".....and what I saw was nothing less than what I would picture in a NASA command center.  Big screen TV's with all sorts of camera feeds, all kinds of techy looking racks, wiring, and shit that would make the geed squad geek out.   But they came, they built, they shot, they left without a trace.  My buddy who owns the restaurant didn't actually participate in the filming, they brought in an actor to portray the owner of the restaurant......and they changed the restaurants name. So there, so what....it's scripted and pre conceptualized.  Good for them, and must be even more complicated to do it that way, but like I said, it was awesome to watch the whole thing go down.  I tried at times to take my cigarette breaks near their power generator, where their smokers seemed to gather to gossip in between scenes and tasks.  It was during these moments, watching and listening to them talk about their day, that i developed a respect for the show.  With the exception of somebody named Peter who was referred to most often in harsh and negative quips......(I presume he was one of the top dogs, but i could never figure out which one)  they all seemed to get along, enjoy their jobs, and you know when you can just tell that a group of people is seasoned at what they do.......well you could tell with this bunch.

It gave me a whole new respect for this "crap show".  They consistently deliver a campy, hard to turn your eyes away, train wreck storyline.  This is not a case of a group of people trying for TV Gold and coming up with shit....this is a group of professionals, working hard to keep the successful formula on track....and while though most all of you will rip on the show in some way......at least they have produced a show you can rip on, which is a lot to say compared to the all the shows out there that are trying to be something their not.  At least Mystery Diners knows what it is, and doesn't try and go all Mark Burnetty with it. And that my friends, is a successful accomplishment.  A TV show that works, even though it doesn't.  Or maybe, its because you don't want it to and it still does.    

I'm high as a kite right now writing this, and it probably won't make much sense when i read it back to proofread, so fuck it, just gonna hit reply and let it live on line as is. Bravo to the Mystery Diners crew.  Bravo to Charles, who i tried to catch coming or going from his "Charles Room" (as the crew referred to it while bustling around)....I was going to shake his hand and tell him way to go, keep up the good work, and keep saving the livelihoods of restaurants everywhere.  Because nobody else is.  And have you even seen Bar Rescue?   They don't even attempt to make it seem like the cameras are really hidden.......that show is so fake, that it makes Mystery Diners look like Abe Lincoln.   

Charles Stiles for President!  

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

I always crack up when everything they say sounds scripted. Like when the owners say something dramatic like "Charles, if I don't find the problem... I'll lose my business!" And then when one of the Mystery Diners comes in and says "For this sting I'm gonna be posing as a waiter to see what REALLY goes on." The acting is so bad that it's obvious it was memorized/scripted.

Does anyone remember the episode where they used drones for the first time? I think it might have been the episode concerning a food truck. The drone crashed and when Charles said "Dang it!" it sounded so fake LOL!

What I've heard about the show is that they reenact scenes after they've caught the person. In exchange for not pressing charges, the person agrees to be on the show and reenact scenes. I don't think the show is completely fake, but it sure seems like in more recent seasons it's even worse and more obviously fake/set up.

this is not people's court.  they don't catch people and then give them the option to reenact their crime on tv.  they use actors, and from what i understand, real owners and real staff when those people can actually perform in front of the camera.   mind you, these are not top notch working actors.....they definitely don't get paid much, get big star motorhomes, or are the types that have agents.  but they keep people dreaming.  if i were an actor, hell yeah, i'd on mystery diners and pretend to be a bad guy and steal recipes.  why not?   what else are you gonna do.  wait around until spielberg comes a calling???

I thought the lady playing Angela did a decent acting job, at least better than the usually acting quality on this show.

What kind of person Jamie's age needs his mommy to call up and book his party bus for him?  

Why didn't they have the final confrontation in the control room?

Finally got around to watching this episode. It was so awful. I don't believe for a second that that camera was really malfunctioning, it looked so fake. And the part where he gets the rolling camera out - hilarious! The actors playing the employees were not believable at all. Everything looked and sounded more staged and scripted than usual. But it gave me some good laughs!

• Love 1

So, the owners are so freaking incompetent that they don't notice that their employees are shutting the place down early and throwing after-hours parties until Charles Stiles rolls in?  

I get that this show is probably decent publicity for the roller rink, but I wouldn't want to go on a show and have it portray me as an incompetent, bumbling owner.

• Love 2

No kidding MrHufflePuff. If I were those owners I'd be totally embarrassed to have them use the real name of the rink, if they did. I'll be curious to hear Cooksdelight's friend's perspective. I mean seriously if you owned the place and lived anywhere near it wouldn't you at least drive by or drop in at odd hours once in awhile?  And wouldn't you at some point see disgruntled customers leaving early while the employees' friends come on in?

BogoGog24 I couldn't stop laughing at that RC car with the camera on it. It made me laugh almost as hard as when Charles says "release the drone" in the intro.  The skaters commenting on it were funny too, although I couldn't decide if that was bad acting or just confusion (maybe both).

• Love 1

Not to worry it's totally fake...they filmed part on Fort Lauderdale beach...when they said tail the guy, he allegedly walked out of the hotel and the next scene he was selling room keys on Fort Lauderdale. Beach...lol...that's a long walk

Why was there no footnote that the woman stealing money with the Pay It Forward scam was arrested?? She was hired by another fast food restaurant???

Either this show is the fakiest fake ever or the fast food managers are hard up for hiring anybody.

My SIL was hired as an extra for an episode filmed at a local reception hall/party place.  I believe the premise was a wedding reception gone bad.  She said they filmed the same scenes over and over again to get the "bad deeds" just right.  Yep, it was 100% fakery.

• Love 1

I know this is fake but Mike, I gotta ask you, did you get to pick out your own name when you were born or did your parents name you? what if Eliot is this guys real name and that's just how his parents have his name spelled out like that.

The client was hot. Except he had a serious case of crazy eyes!

Seriously my initial thought was that he's an actor playing the part of the owner. He was very good looking and didn't seem too smart as a business owner. I seem to remember that on this show they take something that really happened and reenact it with hired actors.

• Love 1