Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Red Roses

I didn't hate it! It's an entirely different backstory, but it reminded me of the Scream movies in tone (I liked the discussion about how a horror movie would never work as a TV show), and I like enough of the characters (Emma, Audrey, Noah, and Riley) to keep me interested for now. That may be a problem, though -- as I was listening to that speech about how we have to like the characters so we'll care when they die, I found myself wondering why I should bother getting attached to anyone when their head could end up separated from their body within a couple episodes. It's easier with a movie because it's two hours long, but if everyone I like here dies early on, I won't feel like finishing out the season.

Also, Sage the pomeranian was adorable but useless. A killer could never sneak past my dogs and into my house.

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked it, too, although it gave me a jolt when I saw Emma's mother. I remember her from Days of Our Lives, when I was a teenager. 

Edited by Anela

I kind of liked it. For a basic cable show obviously geared towards 20-somethings it was actually not horrible. Some of the violence was quite graphic, especially the opening sequence. Lots of cute young girls. The one who is banging the teacher looks like a young Eliza Coupe. I liked this better than MTV's last attempt at a suspense show Eye Candy.

• Love 1

I liked this a lot more than I thought I was going to. My biggest fear was during the first kill, after the "heads up" text, I thought it was going to be the dog's head that was going to be tossed into the hot tub.

Don't really have any suspects, but I am planning on enjoying the ride.

• Love 1

I thought it was fun but then I like teenage slasher flicks and I remember a slasher awhile back set on an island. I forget what it was called. I liked that too.

Harper's Island! I loved that one, too!

That aired in '08-'09- ish, and I was very active on TWoP with theories and stuff about it.

• Love 1

I enjoyed it too.  It was fun and definitely in the vein of the first movie.  After seeing her on Arrow, it's nice to see Bex Taylor-Klaus on a regular series.  I thought the actress who plays Emma looked a lot like Jennifer Garner.

• Love 2

I liked it too, but I'm already over Emma. I'm just tired of the stereotypical good girl, the kind-to-loners-but-still-popular, the "romantic"-focus-of-the-serial-killer and the so-pretty-every-boy-wants-her-type. Its funny; I never felt that annoyance with Sidney, mainly because we weren't forcefed that stereotype. I think I would have liked the show even more if it had been based around Audrey's character.

• Love 5
That may be a problem, though -- as I was listening to that speech about how we have to like the characters so we'll care when they die, I found myself wondering why I should bother getting attached to anyone when their head could end up separated from their body within a couple episodes.

It's a flawed premise. Good writers are able to make you care about the deaths of characters you hardly know. It's even easier to get you to instantly hate somebody so that you're happy to see them die.

The explanation for why the show has pretty much nothing in common with the movies sounds suspiciously like a rationalization covering for not being able to strike a deal with a rights-holder.

• Love 1
(edited)

Harper's Island! I loved that one, too!

That aired in '08-'09- ish, and I was very active on TWoP with theories and stuff about it.

God, the Cal/Chloe episode - I can still see that one in my mind! Edited by Lorimac
  • Love 3

I liked it. I thought the tone of the episode struck a nice balance between the original movie and Scream 4, which I wasn't sure the writers would be able to do. I found most of the boys unlikeable (especially the new kid at school, who i've taken to calling "Hair" or NARC), but I could see myself becoming invested in most of the girls. As it stands, Emma appears to be what we'd typically think of as the "sole survivor" type, but I wonder if the show will screw with that trope halfway through the season. I could see them killing her off early to really jolt the audience into realizing that anyone is fair game. How very Game of Thrones. Case in point...

That may be a problem, though -- as I was listening to that speech about how we have to like the characters so we'll care when they die, I found myself wondering why I should bother getting attached to anyone when their head could end up separated from their body within a couple episodes.

I always thought that a Slasher Flick would never work as a TV series because no one wants to become invested in characters and then have them die in gruesome ways, but I think shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead have proven that that's not actually true anymore. So long as the writers can find a way to keep the body count growing, while also managing to keep enough likable characters alive, I think I'll be happy to watch. 

• Love 4

I really wish the show had killed Emma at the end of the pilot. That would have demonstrated the actual possibility that anyone can die at any time.

I know that finding talented young actors is tougher than young actresses, but the divide was really deep.

• Love 2

I liked it. I thought the tone of the episode struck a nice balance between the original movie and Scream 4, which I wasn't sure the writers would be able to do. I found most of the boys unlikeable (especially the new kid at school, who i've taken to calling "Hair" or NARC), but I could see myself becoming invested in most of the girls. As it stands, Emma appears to be what we'd typically think of as the "sole survivor" type, but I wonder if the show will screw with that trope halfway through the season. I could see them killing her off early to really jolt the audience into realizing that anyone is fair game. How very Game of Thrones. Case in point...

I always thought that a Slasher Flick would never work as a TV series because no one wants to become invested in characters and then have them die in gruesome ways, but I think shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead have proven that that's not actually true anymore. So long as the writers can find a way to keep the body count growing, while also managing to keep enough likable characters alive, I think I'll be happy to watch.

Meta guy is essentially correct for the show to work (and what made previously mentioned Harpers Island Work) is the show must find a couple; any couple will do. (Nice girl with asshole boyfriend or lesbian couple are my two front runners at the moment) and make the audience love them. No not like them. LOVE ThEM. And then either kill them savagely or have one or both of them be the killer:

• Love 2

The writing and acting are so bad--especially when they are actually redoing parts of the film.  Did mtv outsource this series to lifetime?  It feels like the lifetime movie version of scream.  It's also very outdated, and not in a funny or satirical way.  The scream films did not enshrine the cliches of square-jawed meatheads and nearly identical 'mean girls,' as being the only possible characters.  The meta talk here is just a shallow excuse for the writers' own mediocrity.  What stupid, shallow crap.

• Love 3
(edited)

Why does the uber-mean bitch of the school in these things have to be rich?

Is it just me, but does Will look like Ken doll, but with douchey serial killer eyes?

because no one has a reason to be their friend otherwise.

I'm really surprised about the amount of positive feedback here. This was serviceable at most. This show also wishes it was like the original movie. It is in the most basic ways. I'll give it more of a chance but liked it I didn't.

Edited by Racj82
(edited)

Why does the uber-mean bitch of the school in these things have to be rich?

Its kinda like that in real life to.   If you are going to be an Uber-bitch you better be either very very hot. very very rich, or at least throw killer parties.  

I'm really surprised about the amount of positive feedback here. This was serviceable at most. This show also wishes it was like the original movie. It is in the most basic ways. I'll give it more of a chance but liked it I didn't.

Because I am honestly not comparing at all to the movies which I found mediocre at  best.  IF anything I am comparing it to TV shows with similar "bones".  I keep bringing up Harpers Island because that is the best example.  I would recommend streaming it, but wouldn't you know Netflix stopped streaming it.  It streamed last time I checked but of course now that I would love to check it out again just to compare it isn't.   There is also American Horror Story and any other serial killer television show on television.   Hell  any teen show would work.  Who hasn't wanted to kill off everyone on some teen show at one point or another.   The original 90210 with s serial killer or Dawson's Creek wit Pacey as a deranged psychopath.....ah that's the ticket.    

But seriously.  As pilots go for a summer show this one has me entertained plus it is Tuesday and that is Pretty Little Liars day so I am already in the frame of mind anyway.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Hey now, I said I didn't hate it! That's not exactly high praise, haha. I'll watch pretty much anything in the summer (see also: Finding Carter) because I have a lot fewer shows to keep up with than I do in the fall.

I also watched this back-to-back with Pretty Little Liars. It made for a fun double feature.

• Love 1

Thank you. I only watched the cold open which I understand from here was the best part and I thought it was horrible and actually turned off. And it takes a lot for me to turn off after a short 5 minute scene. Talk about unimaginative and lacking suspense. There was no part about it that was interesting or imaginative.  I even had to roll my eyes at the perfect video of the girl taken directly from behind that did NOT look like it was taken with a phone and was basically impossible without seeing the person taking that video. At least make it look tilted or something. 

I had really low expectations. Its not the next Hannibal, by any means. I looked it up because I liked the movie, and I couldn't sleep. 

I liked Noah, so I hope he isn't the killer. 

I had really low expectations. Its not the next Hannibal, by any means. I looked it up because I liked the movie, and I couldn't sleep.

I liked Noah, so I hope he isn't the killer.

I hope he's not a victim, either.

• Love 1

I surprisingly liked it.  The kid who played Noah looked and sounded so familiar.  I had to look on IMDB to see if it would give me a clue.  Then I found it, he played a creeper/wacko on Law and Order SVU.  I hope he is a red herring.

I suspect the sherriff too, but he is not working alone.

• Love 1

Its kinda like that in real life to.   If you are going to be an Uber-bitch you better be either very very hot. very very rich, or at least throw killer parties.  

Because I am honestly not comparing at all to the movies which I found mediocre at  best.  IF anything I am comparing it to TV shows with similar "bones".  I keep bringing up Harpers Island because that is the best example.  I would recommend streaming it, but wouldn't you know Netflix stopped streaming it.  It streamed last time I checked but of course now that I would love to check it out again just to compare it isn't.   There is also American Horror Story and any other serial killer television show on television.   Hell  any teen show would work.  Who hasn't wanted to kill off everyone on some teen show at one point or another.   The original 90210 with s serial killer or Dawson's Creek wit Pacey as a deranged psychopath.....ah that's the ticket.    

But seriously.  As pilots go for a summer show this one has me entertained plus it is Tuesday and that is Pretty Little Liars day so I am already in the frame of mind anyway.  

Yeah, I've seen Harper's Island before and I rewatched it a month ago. I still enjoyed it and I'm sure it will turn out better than whatever this is. But, who knows. I don't like give shows a pass just because it's summer time. They could have come better than this out the gate. Not saying you are doing that but I think there is far too much, "It's summertime" "Nothing else to watch" in the summertime. I still want good tv. I hope it improves. There is a reason why Scream is looked fondly upon till this day. They crafted characters you could invest in. They got the joke but understood the movies couldn't be a joke. The movies evolved with the times (the less said about Scream 3 the better though). They were smart but still got their audience. I was attached to Neve Campbell and Drew Barrymore out the gate more than any one person here. And neither one of them were oscar worthy actresses at the time.

I think part of the problem for me is that Scream, the actual series, is far beyond high school melodrama but it's like we are back at square one now. Even with the movies, the melodrama only fell on Sydney for the most part (a little on Dewey and Gail). With a little switch up in part 4. Now, it's melodrama everywhere.

Lastly, I think it's fair to think that a show called Scream the series should relate to the actual fans of the show. Of course, some fans may like it. That always happens. But, this show, so far, only has like the outer shell of what Scream gave us. I know it's just the pilot but this feels like one of those productions where they barely even looked at the early product. I'm sure it's much easier to accept if you are not a fab. It's not even like die hard or anything. I just think it's a fun series. As a fan of the series, it's much harder for me to just roll with this. But, I will try.

• Love 1
(edited)

Can the teacher who is fuckin his student die next so we don't have another Ezra/Aria on our hands? Also I'm not annoyed with the Emma character. I just hope the writers don't do that cliche thing where all the guys like her. I'll be ok with the killer being obsessed with her mom but using her or even better she's the actual killer herself because she got sick of the high school bullshit or whatever pretentious reason why these rich kids are getting killed. I will say that for the whole hour I thought she was Jo from Twisted. Also I'm shipping her and Audrey but I'm not sure I'm suppose to. Oop.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 4
(edited)

My way-too-early spec is that obvious Final Girl, Emma, is actually the killer. Making Audrey the real Final Girl. 

I wish. That would actually make her interesting. But I think she's our POV character, and as such, can't be anything but the Final Girl. Also, we had that phone scene, and it would be really weird if she was calling herself with the Ghost Face-voice, when nobody's around.

No, I'm absolutely sure that we're meant to root for her, that New Boy(friend) will look sketchy but won't be, that Jock (ex-)Boyfriend will be a herring too, and will die horribly and graphically (because if he's the killer, it'll be too much like original Scream), and the killer will turn out to be Elephant Man from the past, Audrey or someone we haven't met yet.

I'd actually love it, if it was her mom on a psychotic break: If the mom was a part of the killings in the old days, and now on the 20th anniversary she's doing it again, as sort of hommage. If I heard right, she married the brother to the original killer...right?

Or A.

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm onboard for now. Unfortunately, due to the TV show setup, there are a LOT of characters. More people to die over the course of the season, but a few too many to keep track of in the pilot. (Although, much closer to my own high school experience than ones where the characters only have five or six friends.) But it's definitely not as gory as the movies, and I'm still hoping for a reference that it's in the same universe, even if it's just a Stab reference or someone reading a copy of the Gail Weathers' book.

My way-too-early spec is that obvious Final Girl, Emma, is actually the killer. Making Audrey the real Final Girl.

But wouldn't that make this just the same as Scream 4 then? They already did that with Emma Roberts' character, although granted Sidney was, as ever, the one true Final Girl.

I'd actually love it, if it was her mom on a psychotic break: If the mom was a part of the killings in the old days, and now on the 20th anniversary she's doing it again, as sort of hommage. If I heard right, she married the brother to the original killer...right?

I was wondering about that too. Coming off of the Scream movies (and Friday the 13th), my first inclination is that the killer is a relative of Brandon James, possibly the brother or a nephew, pulling a Billy Loomis on Emma. But it sounded, if I'm not mistaken, like the brother was Emma's father? So that may kibosh that theory.

I'll tell you one thing, if there's only one killer like that Scream 3 bullshit, I'm going to recruit someone and go on a murdering spree myself.

So it had better be A AND Dan Humphrey.

Edited by emmapants
  • Love 2

Also, we had that phone scene, and it would be really weird if she was calling herself with the Ghost Face-voice, when nobody's around.

My theory on that is the voice and the murderer are actually separate. The voice could end up being Audrey or Noah, screwing with Emma and her friends as revenge for leaking the video. Notice how the killer used texts, instead of talking with the first victim. So our mid-season red herring would be finding out one of those two are behind the voice. 

(edited)

My theory on that is the voice and the murderer are actually separate. The voice could end up being Audrey or Noah, screwing with Emma and her friends as revenge for leaking the video. Notice how the killer used texts, instead of talking with the first victim. So our mid-season red herring would be finding out one of those two are behind the voice. 

But woldn't that mean that Audrey and Noah basically are psychopaths? I mean, who makes that sort of scary phonecalls, when people are dying? (I'm guessing there'll be more phonecalls, after people really start dying). That goes beyond joking or wanting revenge - if you're not missing the empathy chip, that is. How are we going to quote unquote fall in love with these characters like on Friday Night Lights, if they are doing something like that? It works if Audrey and Noah are antagonists, but I think they are being set up as secondary protagonists. (And are going to die in the finale).

But the idea of separating the Ghostface-voice from the actual killings are really good. I think douchebag friend of the ex-boyfriend gets my vote for the voice.

Edited by feverfew
(edited)

Did I nod off and miss an important detail? Why isn't anyone mourning the boyfriend who got his head cut off? I think I even heard them say he was a suspect. Do they not know that he is dead too?

Edited by butterbody
  • Love 2

I liked it, too, although it gave me a jolt when I saw Emma's mother. I remember her from Days of Our Lives, when I was a teenager.

And the girl who accused Steve Sanders of date rape on BH90210!

• Love 4

Is this supposed to take place in 2015? I assume it is, but during the flashback to the school 20 years ago, I swear that girl was dressed like it was the 80's. It should have been 1995. Maybe it was an 80's themed dance.

Also, the killer sounds like the Dream Phone guy on the phone. So I can't take him seriously AT ALL.

• Love 2
(edited)

Is this supposed to take place in 2015? I assume it is, but during the flashback to the school 20 years ago, I swear that girl was dressed like it was the 80's. It should have been 1995. Maybe it was an 80's themed dance.

It was a Halloween dance. One of the guys beating up on Brandon James was dressed as an Ancient Roman.

Edited by Last Time Lord
  • Love 1
(edited)

This was terrible...The acting, the writing, the scares....It wasn't funny fun or funny, which was what made Scream unique. It's sad that TV has become this, where we slap on a title and hope people will watch. Given that none of the original people are involved in this, this really is just a desperate grab at the fans

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 1

This was terrible...The acting, the writing, the scares....It wasn't funny fun or funny, which was what made Scream unique. It's sad that TV has become this, where we slap on a title and hope people will watch. Given that none of the original people are involved in this, this really is just a desperate grab at the fans

I have to agree. What made the movie so awesome was that it didn't take itself seriously. It poked fun at all the classic slasher movies, and STILL managed to be a good movie with a decent twist ending. I'll probably watch this for a couple of episodes, but XtremeOne1 is spot on -- it's nothing but a name grab to try to lure in fans of the movie.

• Love 1

I think I'd have liked this a lot more if Noah and Audrey were the main 'point of view' characters instead of Emma. I also don't much care for any of the non-Noah male characters. I'm not even sure I can name them or tell them apart! 

That said, my expectations and standards are sufficiently low when it comes to summertime programming in general and teenage slasher stuff specifically, so I found myself pleasantly surprised. No one is going to confuse this with Emmy-worthy television, but it held my attention to the point where I'll definitely tune in to the next episode. 

• Love 2

-- it's nothing but a name grab to try to lure in fans of the movie.

I watched the whole thing and it was ok for just a mystery teen show. They clearly stole the name in an effort to attract fans and that annoys me. They are so clearly not trying to have the "spirit" of scream that annoys me too. Sure it doesn't have the same stuff but it should have the spirit, there should be some attempt, to be unique. And this episode was just flat up paint by the numbers of any generic murder mystery.  I also have this feeling that it is going to follow the rule of bad tv and have so many fake outs by the time the twist does come -- it is stupid and implausible. Maybe that will change but... so far, not excited to see the next episode.

They are so clearly not trying to have the "spirit" of scream that annoys me too. Sure it doesn't have the same stuff but it should have the spirit, there should be some attempt, to be unique.

I thought they were trying very hard to have the "spirit" of Scream but the execution was not that great.  I don't actually see where its not attempting to be the same as the first movie yet.  With the exception of a couple adds to the cast to extend the body count, they already have characters that are derivative of almost everyone from the first Scream movie. 

• Love 1

I completely see what you're saying, but I think they've missed the point. The "heart" of Scream was the way it turned slasher tropes on their heads and didn't take itself seriously. It was FUN, even though it was a real slasher flick. I think if you captured that aspect, you could set the show in a hospital or corporate office and be a better homage to the movie.

After all, most slasher flicks have this particular set of characters -- that's why Scream did. It chose to use the trope and elevate it. I kind of doubt this series will be elevating anything.

(Still, I'm here for a few episodes anyway. I have my fingers crossed that they go somewhere unexpected.)

That's what I mean about the poor execution part.  They are trying to do the same thing as the Scream movie, but in doing so they are missing the point of the movie.

I think the problems are tonal but subtle enough that they aren't doing it on purpose (they just don't get it):

- movie: The person believed to have killed Sidney's Mom is a 'real' murderer and the events recent

- TV: The town serial killer is a boogeyman from twenty years ago that sounds like a story someone made up after watching 'Friday the 13th', 'Halloween', and 'Carrie'

- movie: Randy is a 'expert' on horror movies.  Randy explains horror film tropes and how to survive a horror movie

-TV: Noah is a serial killer expert.  Noah explains how to do a horror show on TV instead of movies and the backstory of the local serial killer

• Love 2