Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

Cyrus was getting on my nerves because he wasn't doing anything (I don't count the bomb, because that turned out to be more about Julian and Jason), but now that he's connected to Laura, he's gotten a reprieve. However, they need to do more with him soon, or I'll be bored with him again.

7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Cyrus was getting on my nerves because he wasn't doing anything (I don't count the bomb, because that turned out to be more about Julian and Jason), but now that he's connected to Laura, he's gotten a reprieve. However, they need to do more with him soon, or I'll be bored with him again.

It will go nowhere. It feels unnecessary to give the Cyrus and Laura story more aghast. 

3 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Laura and Curtis should have a hot affair.

Kevin hasn’t done anything to warrant that! Notice how I didn’t say Laura doesn’t poach! But she was still married to Scotty when she and Luke were on the run when saving the world from Mikkos!

But I wonder if the show will have Portia and Curtis have an affair?

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Kevin hasn’t done anything to warrant that!

I love Kevin. And, okay, given what happened with Lucy and Scott, it would suck for him to be cheated on again. But he and Laura are kind of boring, tbh. They can amicably split, then Laura can climb Hot Curtis like a tree. I find Jordan so irritating and stupid that I don't much care about her getting cheated on, heh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

I love Kevin. And, okay, given what happened with Lucy and Scott, it would suck for him to be cheated on again. But he and Laura are kind of boring, tbh. They can amicably split, then Laura can climb Hot Curtis like a tree. I find Jordan so irritating and stupid that I don't much care about her getting cheated on, heh.

Trust me, as much of a chemistry magnet that Genie is, I see and feel nothing with those two.

I’ve stated how much of a Luke and Laura fan I am, since I didn’t know about the rape when I started watching. But DAMN if they don’t spark and sparkle, even when Geary does nothing. But when he made the effort? Oh, my heart! It goes 💗💓💗💓💗💞💞💗💞💗💓💗

And I also know they are done. Over. Finito.

Yeah, Laura and Kevin are boring as all get out.

I can’t abide this Jordan, either, Curtis and Portia can rekindle since they have history and both are passed at Jordan.

8 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Laura and Curtis should have a hot affair.

I misread Curtis as Cyrus and was pretty shocked. "Wow, considering Laura and Cyrus' newly discovered blood ties this really is going to be unpopular."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

But he and Laura are kind of boring, tbh.

They are. When they got together, it just seemed like, "You're over 50 and unattached? So am I! Let's date!" 

But -- I already said this in the episode thread -- I don't think GF has been good in romantic stories in her maturity (which I'll define as the 1990s return to the present). I also suspect she likes doing love scenes even less than Chad Duell does. There was a period there when Stefan was around, Scott was around, Luke was around, Stavros was obsessing over her; she had a lot of relationship and potential-relationship stuff going on. GF was younger at that time than Rebecca Herbst, Laura Wright, and Maura West are today, but she just acted...past it. I wasn't seeing sparks with anyone. Just "comfort." (Or "discomfort" in Stavros/RKK's case.) 

• Love 1
On 12/19/2020 at 3:40 PM, ouinason said:

I feel like they pushed Julian out in order to make room for Cyrus to be a more permanent character, and that annoys me.

Nah. FV has been waiting to do this for years lol.

On 12/20/2020 at 11:21 PM, Asp Burger said:

But -- I already said this in the episode thread -- I don't think GF has been good in romantic stories in her maturity (which I'll define as the 1990s return to the present). I also suspect she likes doing love scenes even less than Chad Duell does. There was a period there when Stefan was around, Scott was around, Luke was around, Stavros was obsessing over her; she had a lot of relationship and potential-relationship stuff going on. GF was younger at that time than Rebecca Herbst, Laura Wright, and Maura West are today, but she just acted...past it. I wasn't seeing sparks with anyone. Just "comfort." (Or "discomfort" in Stavros/RKK's case.) 

I felt like the late 90s Laura/Stefan had a really great chemistry and potential that was not realized at all. At the time it felt like the show was too afraid to have Laura go all in on someone else while Luke was still around. The show also had no idea what to do about GF having just had a baby and not being a size two (though she was just as gorgeous as ever). I thought Stefan Nichols played the obsession and desire for Laura perfectly but it just never really went where it should have. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

My UO is that I don’t think LW is a actress that always brings it. She’s one-note and completely unable to generate sympathy. Carly hasn’t ever been a good person but the previous actresses in this role were able to bring more layers into their performance. LW reads flat to me.

I think MB and SBu frequently phone it in but when they give a strong performance, I can appreciate it. 

• Love 6

I like Cyrus. I like that the character is multi-dimensional and I REALLY like the actor as he is able to bring a lot to the character and appears to correct the grammar of the writers since he is one person who knows when to use I/me, she/her, he/him. I'm praying he is more permanent and not just another prop to show how powerful and merciful Gangster of Good Sonny truly is.

• Love 6

I’m actually liking Drunk!Alexis. The off-the-wagon addict is such a well-worn trope but I think NLG (and, to an extent, the writers) makes it work. Instead of playing it as the stereotypical slurring and stumbling, she’s wide-eyed, a bit manic, and truth-telling. It’s honestly a bit more subtle than I expected from GH. 

• Love 8

I hate Sam, but if I think about her history of the past decade -- even for a soap character -- I have to admit that she shouldn't need a roll in the cat feces to be a mental/emotional mess. Imagine thinking you were raped, then thinking you were widowed, then thinking your husband was back with a different face, then having the rug pulled out from under you. "Whoops! No, that guy wasn't really your husband. This is the real one." 

I didn't want to see Kelly Monaco digging deep and wrestling with complicated emotional material, because she was never that good and she phones everything in now. But I feel that the story they opted to tell didn't have enough POV on Sam's part. She shared a bed with this man for years. He had all the marital privileges and blithely crossed all the boundaries of an intimate relationship. She had another kid by him. All of this was predicated on assurances that he was Jason...and he wasn't who she thought he was at all. For a woman with her history, who already had suffered over matters of consent, it should have been a bigger deal than it was. What we actually got onscreen was her stubbornly believing that the Jason she had been with since 2015 was the one and only Jason, then going with the other one when his bona fides were demonstrated to her satisfaction, but with no turmoil over how she'd spent the previous two-plus years.

That's the unpopular part of the opinion. I know it's a soap, but I think she should have been much more squicked out by Drew than she was -- like, having a hard time even being in the same space -- and more rattled over how she'd spent the last two years.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

But I feel that the story they opted to tell didn't have enough POV on Sam's part.

Women rarely get a POV in their own stories.

1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

That's the unpopular part of the opinion. I know it's a soap, but I think she should have been much more squicked out by Drew than she was -- like, having a hard time even being in the same space -- and more rattled over how she'd spent the last two years.

I don't think it's unpopular. There was a lot of discussion about how everyone, not just Sam, completely accepted that Drew was Drew, not Jason, without much thought once SBu returned. Drew was dropped faster than a hot potato. Monica was the practically the only one who didn't abandon him.

• Love 4

Jason’s return was a mess and I still believe that KM completely tanking their scenes was a large part of why it was dropped so quickly. I’m sure it was originally planned to be a traditional triangle story where Sam was genuinely torn but would end up reuniting with Jason but she played every scene like she didn’t want to be in the same room with him. I think her POV would have been more fleshed out if they actually played out that SL. Also, us never seeing Drew without Jason’s memories made it impossible for me to see the real differences between the 2 and whether Sam would have wanted the real Drew. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Drew forced Sam to wear the Skirt of Oppression at Aurora, so that doomed things right there.

I wonder how Sam will feel once it's proven Peter had Drew murdered in the plane crash. She'll probably rouse herself enough to be mildly peeved. The way Drew has just been erased is so gross. Just because SBu decided to return. Ugh.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I wonder how Sam will feel once it's proven Peter had Drew murdered in the plane crash. She'll probably rouse herself enough to be mildly peeved. The way Drew has just been erased is so gross. Just because SBu decided to return. Ugh.

She'll probably sigh heavily and stare off into the middle distance before getting on with her day, consisting of bitching at Alexis, shooting dirty looks at Cyrus, and pining for Jason. 

But, yes, I'll never not be furious every time she acts like Jason is Scout's father. 

• Love 4

I liked Sam & Drew together because they wanted to work together. The show wanted JASam back together ASAP. I really liked Billy Miller but Bernard & Wright wanted their boy back and got their way. That said, I haven’t heard a word if they’re even together anymore off screen. They (she) was big on social media about their relationship but I don’t follow her (or anyone) on Twitter so I have no idea if they’re an item or not. I miss him on Y&R. I thought for sure they would have canned Jason Thompson by now but nope.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I kind of liked both Jacob Young as Lucky and Coltin Scott as Nikolas      
*uses Sonny and Carly as human shields*

I didn't like them, but one thing that can be said for them is that they certainly had chemistry. They lit up in their scenes together far more than they did with their various love interests. It was an unusually intense and loving relationship in both the writing and the acting, for male siblings. 

Coltin's (Stephen Martines's) Wikipedia page has been engulfed in one of those back-and-forth edit wars, for those who like rubbernecking at such things. You can probably guess what's in dispute.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2021 at 1:11 AM, ffwbe said:

My UO is that I don’t think LW is a actress that always brings it. She’s one-note and completely unable to generate sympathy. Carly hasn’t ever been a good person but the previous actresses in this role were able to bring more layers into their performance. LW reads flat to me.

I think MB and SBu frequently phone it in but when they give a strong performance, I can appreciate it. 

I agree 100%. I adored Sarah Brown's version so much that I didn't think I'd ever like a recast, but Tamara Braun worked for me as a softer, more confident Carly. This Carly? She's a different character as far as I'm concerned. LW is incapable of bringing forth the redeeming, vulnerable qualities in the character no matter how well she cries. And yes I do believe that we should still feel for Carly even when she is being a heinous bitch. But LW only plays her as a slagbeast in those times. Both SJB and TB brought layers. LW does not.

• Love 9

I don’t think there is anything that could make me interested in Michael. Even with a recast and personality change. I’ve hated every version of Michael no matter who was playing him and who was writing for him.

Red-head Michael was a brat and misogynist. I remember how they let him talk to Carly, Courtney, and Sam. We kept hearing other characters talk about how he was a great kid but what I saw onscreen was a horrible child who was clearly going to follow in Sonny’s footsteps in every way. He was basically onscreen proof that Sonny and Carly should have never been allowed to parent children because he had the worst aspects of their personalities.

DG’s Michael wasn’t much better to me. He had a personality but he was an entitled hothead whose bad behavior was enabled by Sonny and Carly and he didn’t care for anyone other than himself. Now while it was realistic due to his upbringing, it wasn’t enjoyable for me to watch. Same with when CD was playing the Michael who was angry at Sonny and Carly. I don’t care for Sonny so that was mildly amusing but Michael still seemed like a smug, judgmental drip. 

• Love 8

I know MEK is a well-regarded actor, but the southern accent makes Martin unwatchable to me. I grew up in Louisiana and his accent sounds unlike anything I heard there but more like a Foghorn Leghorn-style verbal caricature of a southern accent. It’s worse than anything from True Blood, which is saying a lot. A shame because he’s involved in some good storylines.

On an even more shallow (and based on social media, even more UO) note, I’ve got no problem with shirtless WR. He looks pretty damn good for 43.

• Love 1
On 2/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, mbluecpa said:

On an even more shallow (and based on social media, even more UO) note, I’ve got no problem with shirtless WR. He looks pretty damn good for 43.

I had the BIGGEST crush on WR when he was on Guiding Light back in the day, so you have NO idea how much I appreciate hearing this, lol. ;) 

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Who?

Wesley Ramsey, who plays Peter.

(Unless there's a joke I'm missing, otherwise ignore me because I'm dense.) 

17 minutes ago, UYI said:

Wesley Ramsey, who plays Peter.

(Unless there's a joke I'm missing, otherwise ignore me because I'm dense.) 

I was honestly asking. So many actors have the same initials, and not everyone knows who is who. At least, I don’t.

• Love 2
(edited)
40 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was honestly asking. So many actors have the same initials, and not everyone knows who is who. At least, I don’t.

I thought it was a joke because a lot of people have referred to him as LWB--Laura Wright's Boyfriend. You're definitely right, though--WR also stands for Wendy Riche, for another example.

This might be a UO:

I think Sean & Tiffany might genuinely be one of my big favorite GH couples ever, despite the fact that they weren't really a "supercouple" the way their biggest contemporaries were (Luke & Laura, Robert & Holly, Frisco & Felicia, and Duke & Anna, mainly--and Sonny & Brenda, who came later but would probably round out a top five of the biggest GH supercouples of all time behind the other four). 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 2/28/2021 at 9:00 AM, mbluecpa said:

I think it helps that he's rather tall as soap actors go.  IR is another one that looks good, to me, mostly due to his height.  Compared to the m***** leads, Mo and Stevie B.  

Edited by coffee drinker

To be fair, I don’t think most believe WR is in bad shape. He probably has one of the better bodies of the current male actors, top 5 anyway. People cringe at shirtless Peter scenes because they dislike the character that much that those “eye candy” scenes don’t have the same impact. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I don't mind Nina and Mike. Nina and Sonny might be intolerable.

Sonny and anybody might be intolerable. Please leave us in peace as he gets killed. And I mean really, really dead for sure without question. 

• Love 5
On 3/4/2021 at 8:21 PM, UYI said:

I thought it was a joke because a lot of people have referred to him as LWB--Laura Wright's Boyfriend. You're definitely right, though--WR also stands for Wendy Riche, for another example.

This might be a UO:

I think Sean & Tiffany might genuinely be one of my big favorite GH couples ever, despite the fact that they weren't really a "supercouple" the way their biggest contemporaries were (Luke & Laura, Robert & Holly, Frisco & Felicia, and Duke & Anna, mainly--and Sonny & Brenda, who came later but would probably round out a top five of the biggest GH supercouples of all time behind the other four). 

Sean cackling at the altar after learning Tiffany’s real name will not be forgotten. 

• Love 3

I don’t hate Joss, nor do I feel she thinks the world revolves around her.  I enjoy her close friendship with Cam and Trina, and she was just as determined to find medical records on Taggert, to help Trina, and view Franco’s body, to help Cam, as they’ve been to help her. 

And if Joss were the most selfish creature on the face of the earth, which many viewers seem to feel, she has a father equally responsible. Carly is always given all the blame, and Jax given all of the credit. 

• Love 2

I'm well over Jax, but I think Carly gets most of the blame not just because she's a less popular character in these parts but because she's been the constant presence and influence. IR comes and goes, and at least once when he had a protracted absence, they wrote Jax as having to be away against his will (when Sonny got him deported). 

Also, the show doesn't just show us Joss being a lot like Carly, it's also telling us that all the time in the dialogue, and presenting it as a great thing, because Carly is brave and strong, and when she loves, she loves with her whole heart.

(...not just a part of it.)

My own unpopular opinion: This "Chase at death's story/frantic search for the antidote" storyline is shitting the bed in large part because Josh Swickard isn't getting the job done. It takes more than putting someone in a hospital gown. Except when he was having the seizure, he hasn't seemed sick at all. Everything about it reeks of minimal effort except for the love-triangle dramatics. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

My own unpopular opinion: This "Chase at death's story/frantic search for the antidote" storyline is shitting the bed in large part because Josh Swickard isn't getting the job done. It takes more than putting someone in a hospital gown. Except when he was having the seizure, he hasn't seemed sick at all. Everything about it reeks of minimal effort except for the love-triangle dramatics. 

I agree, but not because JS is inadequate. The writers haven't put much effort into this story (shocker), and it doesn't help that any urgency is kind of a joke. This isn't a story that should be dragged out, at least not if we're supposed to believe Chase is one seizure away from death. It's like when Carly is pregnant: She could stroke out any second but never does.

Chase needs to start to having organ failure if they want this to have any stakes other than the idiotic love triangle (which, let's face it, is the main driver of the story). Even better, Peter has no more antidote—or decides to withhold it permanently—so Finn has even less time to figure out how to save his son/brother.

I don't know what they're waiting for. I'm sure they don't, either.

• Love 3

I'm just so confused by this poison that doesn't have a cure, just constant treatment. We've been told Faison used it on Sean; but I've read it's the same thing that Jerry gave to Nik, yet, Nik seems to have been...cured.

So just make up a miracle cure already and give it to Chase.

At least with the monkey virus, there were some stakes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I vaguely remember liking Sean and Alexis but don't have any idea why because now all I see when he's onscreen is an actor who studied soap acting with Joey Tribbiani. 

eta: I  haven't seen today's episode yet. Hoping he's better with TJ. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Britt actress is talented and pretty but I can't get past those top front teeth. They seem to sort of protrude and that's all I see.

I like the Nixon Falls story because I've always liked when soaps change locations for storylines.

No matter how cheesy, I love the Nurse's Ball and look forward to it every year.

I think something might be wrong with me. I find I'm rooting for Britt/Jason. I haven't cared about anything Jason since he first paired with Robin (Montauk days, etc.)

And I think Kelly T is doing a good job.  Does it make me a bad person that I think she's had a decent reboot and Bryan Craig is nowhere to be found? And that I want it to stay that way?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, amaranta said:

I think something might be wrong with me. I find I'm rooting for Britt/Jason. I haven't cared about anything Jason since he first paired with Robin (Montauk days, etc.)

And I think Kelly T is doing a good job.  Does it make me a bad person that I think she's had a decent reboot and Bryan Craig is nowhere to be found? And that I want it to stay that way?

I don’t think this is unpopular since there are others here who are enjoying this pairing so far.

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don’t think this is unpopular since there are others here who are enjoying this pairing so far.

I think it's based in Jason shouldn't exist guilt. I was so happy when he went off that pier... 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I can't stand Finn. He exudes no sex appeal whatsoever. He's glum, boring, monotone, and painful to watch. I don't care that he's a doctor or a good character. One of my cardinal soap sins is boring. At least give me a good reason to hate you. I hate that so many women think he's the cat's meow. I hated Silas and I think I hate Finn even more. The only version of ME that is tolerable is if he plays a cop.

• Love 3

Like most of the actors on this fakakta show, I think ME is badly used. He has a wonderfully dry sense of humor that rarely gets tapped into. For whatever reasons, the writers don't seem to use actors' strengths in their characters. That's probably due to the writers being spread out around the country instead of working in a writer's room, but it's also a failure of FV's management that the writing is so shallow. 

• Love 9