Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions: "I hate BLTs from Kelly's!"

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, In2You said:

They didn't try that hard because her Kristina was a recurring player in what was supposed to be her story. Only on to prop their pets

Well, story-wise, no. But the show is shit. I was speaking strictly from a point of view of having a Latina actress playing Sonny's child. Which should have been done for all of his kids. But the way casting is, it's hardly a surprise that they didn't even bother.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't know. But he mentioned his mom here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/MrU3YzGZoc/

I had a feeling someone was gonna post that one random IG post. His mother may be partially Cuban but I've never seen him represent latinos ever. Never saw him pictured at latino hollywood event, never heard him speak during hispanic heritage month, never heard him talk about being hispanic. So I'm guessing he doesn't identify. 

38 minutes ago, In2You said:

So I'm guessing he doesn't identify. 

I can't speak to Bryan Craig, but it makes me wonder...does Morgan? Do any of Sonny's kids identify as Latino? Or speak Spanish? Dante wouldn't (and Dominic Zamprogna is of Italian descent), but what about the others?

• Love 2
On 9/26/2016 at 10:54 PM, Melgaypet said:

I can't speak to Bryan Craig, but it makes me wonder...does Morgan? Do any of Sonny's kids identify as Latino? Or speak Spanish? Dante wouldn't (and Dominic Zamprogna is of Italian descent), but what about the others?

Sonny's actor is part Salvadorean and part Nicaraguan. So I guess that would make him latino, even though I've never seen Sonny or any of his kids identify as such. And they've all been played by white actors (with the exception of LM - who was half white and half latina).

Sonny's mother was Cuban and his father is (was? Is Mike alive? I forget) of Greek descent. Sonny certainly speaks Spanish and though he was more... vocal about his heritage back in the 90's, I think he probably identifies as Latino.

There could have been a story there, with some internalized racism and Sonny deliberately downplaying his own heritage to his children, whose mothers are all white. But I wouldn't trust any GH writer in recent memory to tackle it.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, teenj12 said:

Sonny's actor is part Salvadorean and part Nicaraguan. So I guess that would make him latino, even though I've never seen Sonny or any of his kids identify as such. And they've all been played by white actors (with the exception of LM - who was half white and half latina).

Prior to soras they had hispanic kids playing the roles of Kristina and Morgan. When they wanted them to actually have a story they hired white actors.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Sonny's mother was Cuban and his father is (was? Is Mike alive? I forget) of Greek descent. Sonny certainly speaks Spanish and though he was more... vocal about his heritage back in the 90's, I think he probably identifies as Latino.

There could have been a story there, with some internalized racism and Sonny deliberately downplaying his own heritage to his children, whose mothers are all white. But I wouldn't trust any GH writer in recent memory to tackle it.

Mike is Greek.  Never forget, Helena "once had a gardener named 'Corinthos'".

• Love 1
2 hours ago, In2You said:

Prior to soras they had hispanic kids playing the roles of Kristina and Morgan. When they wanted them to actually have a story they hired white actors.

You know what,  I didn't know that. I even thought Kali Rodriguez was white,  despite the last name being a massive clue.  *Facepalms* .

1 hour ago, teenj12 said:

You know what,  I didn't know that. I even thought Kali Rodriguez was white,  despite the last name being a massive clue.  *Facepalms* .

Well GH cast clearly half Mexican Erik Valdez as an Irish/Italian character. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, In2You said:

Well GH cast clearly half Mexican Erik Valdez as an Irish/Italian character. 

He was also like the same age as his on screen mother.  Or close to it.   EV had good screen chemistry with JE.  He should've been brought back as some Quartermaine type character.  

On October 9, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Chairperson Meow said:

He was also like the same age as his on screen mother.  Or close to it.   EV had good screen chemistry with JE.  He should've been brought back as some Quartermaine type character.  

I like Ryan Paevy, but EV should have been brought in as Nathan. I truly believe he would have better chemistry with Kristen Storms, considering their comic timing. Off all the actors that got the boot during the OLTL purge, he should have brought back as a different character. 

• Love 1
Just now, Ambrosefolly said:

I like Ryan Paevy, but EV should have been brought in as Nathan. I truly believe he would have better chemistry with Kristen Storms, considering their comic timing. Off all the actors that got the boot during the OLTL purge, he should have brought back as a different character. 

I think EV would've played off of KG and MSt better as well.  You're right. 

• Love 2

I miss Trey. I miss Joe Jr.  Ron went off the rails at the end, but at least some of his creations were not blandy McBlandersons.  Trey with Kristina was awful, because Kristina was and is awful. But Trey with just about everyone else, was tolerable at least. And show will always suck for killing off Joe Jr.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I miss Trey. I miss Joe Jr.  Ron went off the rails at the end, but at least some of his creations were not blandy McBlandersons.  Trey with Kristina was awful, because Kristina was and is awful. But Trey with just about everyone else, was tolerable at least. And show will always suck for killing off Joe Jr.

+1

• Love 3
2 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Agree with all of this, except I thought Trey and Kristina were cute together.

• Love 3

I thought Trey and Kristina just had no chemistry.  EV was miscast as Trey. Plus Joe Jr was just terrible. The actor was awful on Passions and awful on this show. And that character was like Franco a rapist, murderer, and kidnapper.  He didn't need to stick around.

• Love 2
On 10/12/2016 at 9:44 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, that's definitely the popular opinion.

I always see people on the boards praising Joe Jr simply because they wanted him to hook up with Tracy.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:46 AM, IWantCandy71 said:

I liked Joe Jr because he was literally the only man who never treated Tracy like second rate garbage or a personal ATM.  he treated her like the Queen that she is, plus I really don't trust Connie or any of Ron's rewrites.   My theory was that Connie's "bad girl" alter took over and had sex with Joe Jr, so she thought it was rape, but he didn't.  Because having DID doesn't come from an event in your teens.  As a psych minor/former major, that always bothered me.  So, I assumed something traumatic happened to Connie/Kate whatever as a child or she was schizophrenic (as most psychologists don't truly accept the DID diagnosis truly exists).   Plus, her nearly killing Trey by leaving him a drawer and then actually killing him in a car accident does fit in with schizophrenia untreated imo.  Which is really messed up when you consider that this show openly has characters grieving her more than AJ.  Yeah, yeah I'm an AJ stan.  I dig the underdog.  But it's totally messed up that this show cries for "justice" when it's been putting a possibly severely mentally ill woman who murdered her own child on this magical pedestal for years while ignoring the murder of a man who would've walked through fire for his own child.  And all by people who claim to "love" their children/families. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Kannie wasn't fat.

GH has always been messed up when it comes to justice. It's a really unfortunate fact of this fakakta show.

That is true.  I literally can't wait for the day Steve Burton decides he wants to "be" Jason again.   And by "can't wait", I mean I'm bored af and need something to tide me over with the lols.  I can't stand Jason nor SBu, but it shall be interesting how they handle two Jasons.  One of which is healthy size, one of which is robot size.

11 minutes ago, UYI said:

My UO is that I am not at all convinced that SBu is returning just because he left Y&R. I just don't see Frank getting him back (or wanting him back) at all. 

I agree. But my UO is more that I don't think SBu even wants to come back or wants to keep traveling back and forth for a soap job. Some think SBu is like clamoring to come back for the epic story of Sam and Liz.

• Love 5

I think SBu is all about a paycheck tbh.  If he gets paid, he'll come.  Tbh, I'd rather see him play Jason and BM play AJ or Lucky or a different character.   In an ideal world, I'd want no Jason, but alas, I don't live in that world.  I don't dislike BM's Jason, rather it's the writing for Jason.  Jason is just a boring character imo.  He has potential, but no matter how hard BM tries, he can't bring the role to reality.  It's stuck in this persona which isn't SBu's fault, nor his, but the writers.  A good writer can fix a lot of the problems with GH tbh.

38 minutes ago, Chairperson Meow said:

I don't dislike BM's Jason, rather it's the writing for Jason.  Jason is just a boring character imo 

I think it's the writing, as well, I really do. He doesn't do anything anymore. He's just...there...watching other people. The scenes this week are a perfect example of it. I've seen a lot of fans saying that Jason never showed emotion in a crisis and was always "strong" for everyone else, but that's not necessarily true. Jason had reactions when people he loved either got hurt, kidnapped, or died. Sometimes I think people believe Jason's character joined the show in the mid-'00s.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I think they'd have been better off if they'd kept the amnesia and done the work of building a life and relationships for this version of Jason. They don't seem to have any idea what to do with him

Right? I just have a problem with this show saying "He's Jason!" and then refusing to acknowledge how different he is and how different his relationships with certain people are. His non-reaction to Morgan's death is ridiculous. Almost like, "Welp, he was a screw-up and a car just blew up, oops."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Right? I just have a problem with this show saying "He's Jason!" and then refusing to acknowledge how different he is and how different his relationships with certain people are. His non-reaction to Morgan's death is ridiculous. Almost like, "Welp, he was a screw-up and a car just blew up, oops."

I'm confused, how is that a bad thing? I mean, it is Morgan, so.... :-)

• Love 6
9 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I just have a problem with this show saying "He's Jason!" and then refusing to acknowledge how different he is and how different his relationships with certain people are.

This drives me nuts. Why go through all this to bring back a character and then not mine the changes? It's so infuriatingly LAZY. 

If Jason has all his memories back, he should be more upset about Morgan dying. If he doesn't have all his memories back, he should have some guilt about not being more upset. But instead we get a Jason who walks around like he's semi-sedated. Maybe Ava inadvertently gave Morgan's missing lithium to Jason.

• Love 5

His memories are at the whim of the current plot point, which is another of my aggravations of this fakakta story.

For the Morgan stuff, I guess he remembers everything? He remembered Michael being the first to hold Morgan. Who knows, though.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I think it's the writing, as well, I really do. He doesn't do anything anymore. He's just...there...watching other people. The scenes this week are a perfect example of it. I've seen a lot of fans saying that Jason never showed emotion in a crisis and was always "strong" for everyone else, but that's not necessarily true. Jason had reactions when people he loved either got hurt, kidnapped, or died. Sometimes I think people believe Jason's character joined the show in the mid-'00s.

Ugh they're the same type of people who thought the Marty/Todd Rapemance was so dreamy (yes it was a gross thing that happened).  Bruh.  Why give Jason his memories?  Why?  It's like FV is that douchebag from the Charmander episode of Pokémon:Indigo League and he's collecting all the Pokémon, but not using them.  He's abandoned his Charmander to just die on the rock and wait for it's trainer, but when he sees it can fight (or "perform") he wants it back.  No.  You can't do that, dude.  You're bleeding the damn show.  We don't need all these alleged soap stars and so-called awesome characters that do nothing, see nothing, react to nothing about a bunch of nothing.   We need substance. 

I think Guza and Co had realized by then that GV was not capable of carrying a love story - or any story, really.  GV kinda worked with Liz because he was good at being a dad and the foundation for LL2 was so fucking solid that not even Yelly and Larry could destroy it

Guza and JFP weren't smart enough to recognize the good actors/characters and the bad actors/characters on the show. Natalia Livingston was terrible, but they kept giving her storyline after storyline and tried to make her and Nikolas a super couple (spoiler:they sucked). And Jason, Sonny and Carly were so played out by that time, but they monopolized probably 75% of the screen time combined.

I actually thought GV did fine in the addiction storyline, especially since  he was given little point of view as was routinely vilified to push Liason (unlike SB’s Jason, where we got a point of view on just his bowel movements). And he can be called Larry all day long, but fact remain he was playing Lucky and they basically had his family abandon him in favor of holding Lulu’s hand. And no, not a single person he shared blood with did jack shit to get him into some sort of treatment, I think Liz was the only one that tried to do a detox. Not exactly Emmy winning but I felt  he did better than Emmy winner!Natalia Livingston and her rape storyline. The greatest irony of Guza and Co. is that they coddle who they feel is their mosGVt capable actors and took all the chances/throw under the bus the actors they hate or have fallen out of favor. Jonathan Jackson’s Lucky would not have become patrol officer, then detective and would not gotten to play out developing an addiction and his affairs with Maxie and Sam because Guza would not have dared tarnish JJ’s Lucky, so when JJ did return, he got to portray a far more interesting character (that finally didn’t make the PCPD look stupid /evil) than he would have had he stayed in the role the entire time or Lucky came back from the dead when JJ needed some work.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Guza and JFP weren't smart enough to recognize the good actors/characters and the bad actors/characters on the show. Natalia Livingston was terrible, but they kept giving her storyline after storyline and tried to make her and Nikolas a super couple (spoiler:they sucked). And Jason, Sonny and Carly were so played out by that time, but they monopolized probably 75% of the screen time combined.

I hated Nem, but I think they were genuinely popular, which is partly why Nikolas floundered so badly after they killed her off.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I hated Nem, but I think they were genuinely popular, which is partly why Nikolas floundered so badly after they killed her off.

People online seemed to hate their sucky stories. They had their loyal fans with princess and prince fantasies but no memorable stories. 

4 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

. I thought Umily was awful but she had chemistry with TC and I believe Nem had a large and enthusiastic fanbase. That's why they kept getting stories

I am shocked by that. I think Num lovers were very vocal, but considering all of the perils of Pauline shit they kept having them go through, I think TIIC knew that Nik & Em weren't that great, but they will "train the audience" to like them.

The Nem fans may have been a "vocal minority" type of group, but they were (and are still, even now) definitely out there. Hell, even NL herself has individual fans. 

There are millions of people who watch this show. Every character and every pairing has at least some fans. And the viewers who participate online are a minority so that's not really an accurate way to judge how popular something is. 

• Love 3