Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: She's No Angel

(edited)

Maddie Ziegler may be a talented little dancer, but that whole bit seemed unnecessary to me. And she looks nothing like a young Ali!

When that started my first thought was "Is that the Sia video?" Is that going to be her entire career, every time someone needs a weird dancer she gets the gig?

I liked Ali’s father calling her out on things, & Ali turning it right back around.

Leslie (or Lesli?) just pops up out of nowhere & is part of the plot again?

“This Psych Facility is Closed” If Radley really referred to itself as a “psych” facility, that may be part of the problem.

My favorite conversations:

Spencer: “Don’t touch it!”

Hanna: “Why would I touch it????”

Spencer: “Leslie must think we helped Ali kill Bethany that night & then dumped her body in that pit.”

Emily: “Your sister did that”

Spencer: “No, Melissa just....buried her alive”

Edited by GaT
  • Love 6

What would be the point of doing that if the PLLs aren't there ?  Are the homes in danger from 'A' ? </snark>

Well, one never knows if A's planning on ramming any more cars through them, you know.

• Love 2

Was that a street fight breaking out in Rosewood down the street from the tattoo parlor that scared Sara ?  And considering that Emily/Sara were in a dead-end alley, where was that shadow coming from -- other than behind them, but when they turned around no one was there ?

There was a fire escape to their left as they ran back to the street. I noticed there were some lights on there so maybe the black shadows came from there.

And why are Clark and Aria still using film cameras ?

Actually, most photography schools still teach analogue techniques, because when you work with film you're understanding the chemistry of photography/painting with light, and you get to see it on the negative before seeing the print. So it's a great way to learn all about exposure, contrast etc... and the fact that a roll of film limits you to certain amount of shots, means you will be working on your framing, instead of just shooting 500 photos of the same thing and then picking out the one that's the best.

Photographers who work with film or have a strong film background, pre-visualize the photo they want to take before snapping it. I'm not saying photographers who use digital can't do that, but it's not a given in their case, because you snap a picture and then you see it and then you alter it, where as someone with a strong analogue background sees the picture in their head and then work on it.

I know it sounds pretentious to have them shoot with film, but it's probably one of the few accurate things they've done on this show.

Why was Spencer eating all the brownies and cookies at the NA meeting? Is she addicted to food too now? Does she now think all cookies have pot in them?

MUNCHIES!

I agree with most of you. This was a let down. I had some concerns about this since the finale. I think there isn't much to the story anymore and since we know

6x10 will be the story from Charles'/A's view

... that's where all the answers are. In the meantime, we're stuck with freaking Sara Harvey, Leslie Stone, new hot creepy guys, and the liars running around once more like chicken with their heads cut off.

I have to be honest. I loved Sara Harvey's entrance in the premiere, the second episode didn't do much to make me love her or hate her... but man has it been downhill since then. That girl can't act! and Emily can barely act to begin with! It's worse than the Toby and Emily scenes in season 1, which were at least genuine. But here it's just painful to watch. Emily clutches on to Sara and tries to be her savior... I get that is SO Emily, but it's also MORE like Emily to get Cousin Nated. I just see them together and I'm like just go to the lighthouse already. Also. HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO CARE ABOUT HER when she obviously knows more and she won't tell and the liars keep being tormented? Unless the writers want us to hate her then this can't make sense.

Mona is so intriguing. It's just so hard to tell how involved she really is. The last scene makes me think maybe Leslie was involved in stealing the game from Mona.

I love how A is all about pink hair Aria now. Like, what the heck? The doll wig on the tennis ball was awesome. I've missed the Risen Mitten!

Hannah and Spencer are the best. I don't get why we don't see all the liars together (+Ali). Why do they only call Ali when they make breakthroughs?

DEAN STRAVOS. THE END.

Ok no. I need to talk about this. Did anyone else notice the insane chemistry he has with Spencer?

I can't look at another Spoby scene. These 2 are so good, and I'm too old to be a shipper but damn. I love how she doesn't need to tell him exactly what it's all about, because he gets it because he's obviously had to fight his own demons. I hope this isn't the last we hear of him. Spencer should call him every night.

• Love 7
(edited)

Was that a street fight breaking out in Rosewood down the street from the tattoo parlor that scared Sara ?  And considering that Emily/Sara were in a dead-end alley, where was that shadow coming from -- other than behind them, but when they turned around no one was there ?

THANK YOU!!! Now every time they see someone in a black tracksuit with a hoodie, even if it's just a jogger, they will scream and run. Ridiculous... 

Also, what ever happened to Alison? And I'm talking about her weight gain, but personality-wise! She used to be such a fierce bitch, always one step ahead of others, a force to be reckoned with... she used to be such a PROTAGONIST of things!!! Now she looks like a terrorized (or at best confused) victim at all times. They should have NEVER brought her back from the dead.

Edited by Giuliano Lanzilli

Give Ali a break. She's been through some serious shit. She was bound to break. I'm sure she'll come around before the summer finale.

What I don't understand, and please tell me I missed something:

If Leslie was long enough in Radley to know Charles AND Mona, it means she was there since before Charles was 16 and before Mona was released from Radley (1 year ago on the timeline). That's like 10 years! How did she have time to get a masters degree and a fellowship and a teaching position? Did she sneak out of Radley to go to school?

• Love 8

I love how in the promo, Spencer and Emily are genuinely spooked and Aria...has an old bookcase fall over in her vicinity.

I usually like that Emily is very loyal and supportive, but when she snapped at Caleb about Sara's lack of a job or a high school diploma not helping her emancipation case, I was like whoa, calm the hell down there, Emily. He's just telling you what the judge will say so don't shoot the messenger. I also hate that she is still so insistent that everyone has to keep all these secrets because A might target Sarah again. Yes, obviously Sara is more important than your BFFs.

How is it that Sarah is underage and needs to be emancipated but can get a tattoo? And isn't Emily still 17 too? Emily, when you are a swimmer there is really nowhere you can put a tattoo that your mom won't see it. And your neck isn't a hidden place unless you plan on never putting your hair in a ponytail again.

I liked that Hanna asked Spencer if she was high. I like that she has become so direct.

Ha, I love that Spencer's idea of a "let's break into an abandoned mental institution" outfit is a white dress.

How did Lorenzo know which cop was talking about Alison? Weren't there at least two of them when she looked out her window as they changed shifts?

Hilarious that when Alison tried to apologize for her dad being an ass, Lorenzo claimed, "It's not because he's mad at me or you." No, I think he IS mad at you for being a 20 something police officer who is hooking up with his teenage daughter. So yeah, Lorenzo continues to be highly suspicious.

Clark hasn't actually done anything suspicious yet (aside from coincidentally being around twice now when A has been following Aria). No, wait, when he started taking pictures of Aria, I thought that was a little creepy. Mentioning that contest seemed way too coincidental too.

It's not just the new guys I don't trust though. I don't trust Sara, Lesli, or Mona. They are all shady bitches! Mona is still lying to the PLLs. You know that girl knew every inch of Radley so she was obviously lying to Spencer about not knowing what that room was. And she never told them that Lesli was in Radley or that she was going to Radley to steal her file.

Kol is always welcome though. Ooh la la!

Did they really give Emily a cliché Japanese symbol tattoo? *eyeroll*
Located somewhere near the good china.  I bet it isn't a Japanese character for courage at all -- probably the character for soup a la Penny on the Big Bang Theory.

A is not only all seeing and all knowing but psychic so A must have known that Emily would go into the tattoo parlor and accordingly already planted a Japanese symbol that really says something incriminating like "I killed Bethany Young" or "SHOVEL."

• Love 6

Hanna and Spencer need to take over the entire show. When they were walking in the basement of Radley and heard Mona, one look and Hanna grabs the file from Spencer so that Spencer can grab a weapon and handle her business. No need to speak, just get the job done.

It was such a hilarious contrast to the previous scene, with Sara and Emily running away from the shadow. Like, no. You want answers? Go run in there, kick the shit out of A and rip off the hoodie. Emily, you've been doing this for two years now! Stop running and start fighting! Look at Spencer and Hanna, getting a weapon and preparing to fight! 

Give Ali a break. She's been through some serious shit. She was bound to break. I'm sure she'll come around before the summer finale.

What I don't understand, and please tell me I missed something:

If Leslie was long enough in Radley to know Charles AND Mona, it means she was there since before Charles was 16 and before Mona was released from Radley (1 year ago on the timeline). That's like 10 years! How did she have time to get a masters degree and a fellowship and a teaching position? Did she sneak out of Radley to go to school?

I just miss badass, bitchy Ali. New, crying, whining Ali is not what I signed up for. I get it, she's been through shit, but I prefer bitchy Ali who fights back with a vengeance. Seeing as nothing else is realistic on this show, at least give us this.

Yeah, I was asking myself that same question too. There's no way she would be able to get all of that if she's been in Radley for 10 years. Unless she's been an in and out patient for all this time, I don't see how she could get a masters and a teaching position. 

• Love 3

I seriously want to shake Emily. I get that she's the one with the big, bleeding heart that needs to save anyone and everyone but her obsession with caring for Sara is beyond, well, beyond. And losing her cool with my precious Caleb re: precious Sara's emancipation was uncalled for.

I will ALWAYS welcome NB on my tv so the return of Dean was the best part (for me) in this ep.

Second best for me was pretty much all Hanna and also her scenes with Spencer.

And I still can't hate on Mona. I don't care how shady she is but I just love her and how JP portrays her.

• Love 1

Hanna and Spencer were the show for me. I loved Spencer in the asylum with her Pot cookies (stoner Spencer needs to be a thing) was creepy and the creepy dancer thing. When Hanna joined her that was amazing as well.

• Love 1

Clark hasn't actually done anything suspicious yet (aside from coincidentally being around twice now when A has been following Aria). No, wait, when he started taking pictures of Aria, I thought that was a little creepy. Mentioning that contest seemed way too coincidental too.

I'm calling it. He's writing a story on her for a competition or a magazine.

Him taking her picture though is not something so out of the ordinary. I studied photography in uni and it was always kind of like that, you see something and you snap it. She was just freaked out because she felt she was being watched (which, Aria... of course you are...)

We better brace ourselves, it's gonna be a long summer of fishing red herrings up till episodes 9 and 10. I'm fine with A being anyone by now. Just stop thickening the plot to avoid giving the answers.

Did the liars seriously not consider to talk to Andrew? I know he's angry but I'm sure Spencer could convince him of telling her what he knows.

• Love 2

What the fuckity fuck was with the weird dancing, dirty bathwater, and dolls tonight? A checklist of early 2000 horror movie cliches?

I thought that too. Had to wonder if MK spent a weekend dipping into the Spencer brownies will watching creepy horror films to get the inspiration/rip-off for that. 

Located somewhere near the good china. I bet it isn't a Japanese character for courage at all -- probably the character for soup a la Penny on the Big Bang Theory.

What the fuck does "somewhere near the good china" even mean?

• Love 1
What the fuck does "somewhere near the good china" even mean?

That's what the tattoo artist said in the episode -- I'm assuming it means somewhere down towards the lower torso section of the body, where it will be seen while wearing a bikini.  It looked like Emily ended up getting it on her hip.

So A really is obsessed w/Aria’s hair, with yet another Aria doll with the red stripes.  I don’t get it.

Is A really is female now, or is she transgender?  In the dollhouse, A/Charles dressed up for the prom in a tuxedo and looked like a guy.

Was everyone in Radley?  We have Charles, Bethany, Lesli, Mona and even Spencer for a while.  Oh yeah, and Toby’s mom, can’t forget about her.  Am I forgetting anyone?

This was a creepy episode for sure with the dancer, the dolls and the Radley stuff.  Why would they need a ResusciAnnie in a mental institution?

I do not care about Sara and almost wish they left her in the bunker.  I thought she was going to delete Aria’s text about A being female.

I was glad to see Dean/Kol back with Spencer.  Too bad she wasn’t horny in the car with him.  So pot makes Spencer have weird dancer dreams, and get horny and hungry, at least we got that answer this week.  And she’s going to be valedictorian? OK.

I was glad to have Mona back this week, even if she was back to her shady self.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretty sure Mona wanted to get caught.

I don't care how broken she is, she's the best sleuth and always gets in and out like a ghost. She wanted the liars to find out about Leslie but couldn't tell them straight to their face so she made it seem like she was caught.

Also, she could've gone the next day or any other hour when Spencer and Hanna weren't there... She's Snape!!!

Edited by raytch
  • Love 7

WTF is up with everybody having been in Radley at some point?  Is this common when you leave near a prominent psych facility?  Do you tend to meet people who have been admitted?  

Or....

All of this is a delusion of Aria in the psych facility.  Kind of like that Buffy episdoe.  She didn't move to Iceland after Ali went missing, she lost her marbles and got admitted into Radley.  All of this is in her mind. Hence why continuity, characters, etc. don't make sense.  It's also why Aria is only tortured with a cute hair style and taped to a wall with packing tape, while Emily gets a car driven into her house and Spencer slowly goes insane.  They keep saying it all comes back to radley.  The big reveal will be the doctors finally getting her meds right and her coming out of her delusioned state.  

Then during the time jump, she becomes AriA for real.  

Huh.  I'm going to go post that in the theories board.  That way, all of the original characters that we know and like and the Alli flashbacks are real, but the storylines since day 1, and the new characters that we can't stand, which have never really made much sense after MonA anyway, are false.   Clean slate for Pretty Little Liars to get out of this mess but still keeping the characters.  Except for Allison.  Not sure how to fix that one

Or maybe it's Spencer in Radley after Toby went A and got killed.  She never got out.  

(edited)

I think Hanna said it pretty well when she called Spencer on not sharing her cookies. I thought maybe they were the pot cookies but I think maybe Spencer is right now jumping from one addictive behavior to another as a way to cope. Pills, food, sex. They are all things that can be addictive and Spencer has always had an addictive personality and right now it is out of control.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

The others have been through much worse (dollhouse, anyone?) and yet don't spend their days going back and forth between their living room couches and church.

Edited by Giuliano Lanzilli
  • Love 1

I know sometimes the episode descriptions are intentionally vague, but that was just outright misleading.  Or, does Leslie have a twin -- and that's why the "Leslie" in this episode seemed so substantially different from the Leslie of Season 5 ?

I don't know that it means anything, episode descriptions are often based off early versions of scripts as opposed to the finished products.  Every now and then you get one that references a dropped or changed plot line.

• Love 1
(edited)

This episode tried way too hard to be scary, and as a result of that wasn't scary at all. Basically nothing happened other than the Liars jumping on a new red herring for no reason and completely pointless characters like Lesli, Lorenzo, Dean and Sara wasting screen time. Hanna had some good lines and Spencer looked really pretty... I can't really say I liked anything else, really. The idea that they saw fit to waste our time with Caleb "hiring" Sara (he is a legit entrepreneur now? That seems to be a thing for teenage boys in Rosewood) just boggles the mind.

WTF is up with everybody having been in Radley at some point?  Is this common when you leave near a prominent psych facility?  Do you tend to meet people who have been admitted?

No, merely a case of a bunch of writers who think using every cliche in the book and putting 1950s mental asylum in a modern setting is oh, so, artistic.

If Leslie was long enough in Radley to know Charles AND Mona, it means she was there since before Charles was 16 and before Mona was released from Radley (1 year ago on the timeline). That's like 10 years!

Don't worry, they'll probably reveal that Mona was in Radley when she was six years old. And Lesli taught her how to rock that hoodie. Seriously, nothing about Radley has ever made any sense but this arithmetic failure was particularly said. Spencer said that so nonchalantly as if Mona and Charles were there at the same time and everybody knew it.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 2
(edited)

While I’m happy to see Aria actually take a proactive attitude (and in a shirt I actually like) I wonder if one day these girls will see a hooded figure and just say, “Nope, not today crazy stalker dude!”  and just go home….
I mean, if I’m starting to tire of the repetitive creepy stalking, they have to be too.
I real hope we get a good payoff at the end of this season and next season takes on a different format.

Oh… and….. KOL!!!!!!! If I can’t have him on The Originals I’ll take him here in an even trade for Toby…..

Edited by GraceAnne
  • Love 1

The others have been through much worse (dollhouse, anyone?) and yet don't spend their days going back and forth between their living room couches and church

Well yeah but Ali's trauma is a whole other level of crazy.

She's been programmed to lie by her mother who brainwashed her brother into forgetting his other brother, who was sent away for trying to kill Ali, and the brother that stayed took videos of her and her friends semi naked just for kicks.

Not to mention she was buried alive by her mother because the other brother tried to kill her and had to fake her death with the help of the girl she used to bully who then faked her death and pinned it on her . AND her other brother killed her mother and sent her a video about it.

I'm not saying that the other liars have had it easy, but I'm saying if Ali was to ever question herself and the world... Now seems pretty right to me.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah Ali clearly had a pretty messed up childhood so it's no wonder she turned out the way she did. And I totally get her staying holed up in her house and not wanting to see too many people right now. She doesn't have the support the other girls have. They not only have each other but their families and love interests. Plus the whole town, with the exception of Andrew, doesn't hate them and think they got what they deserved like they do with Alison. They're victims. But Rosewood is still wary of Alison and she told Spencer she thinks everyone hates her. Even the cops who are supposed to be protecting her are calling her names. Ali's no angel, but I don't blame her for laying low to lick her wounds for a bit. I would eventually like to see her get out there with the others and try to figure out who A/Charles is though.

Eta: not to mention it's her family whose deepest secrets are being exposed right now. So she not only has to deal with the humiliation of her friends finding out her parents are the kind of people who would hide away their crazy son who tried to kill her, but she's also got the added guilt of realizing everything her friend have been through is because of her and her crazy ass family.

Edited by SadieT
(edited)

What I don't get, after everything that's happened, how can the liars talk, let alone go on photo shoots and make out with guys they just met. I get the show needs to keep the romance going but it all feels so forced!

I also don't get why Emily didn't just grab Sara and command her to spill everything she knows when she started talking about seeing a girl in a hoodie more than once since she got out. Where's the fierce Emily we know and love?

Did anyone else think of Tippi when we saw Sara's tattoo???

Edited by raytch
  • Love 1

I am hoping that Ali's descent into pathetic-ness is so that she can make a grand comeback into bitchy fierceness at just the right moment.

When Hanna and Spencer were looking at the file in the basement, I am pretty sure they said Charles died six years ago. That would make him about five years older than Ali and about six years old when he went to Radley, with Jason being about five at the time.

• Love 2

Sara is ruining Emily for me. I don't care one little bit about what happens to Sara. I don't care about Emily's storyline at all right now. It doesn't help that Shay, while not a bad actress, is the weakest of the main girls, and they went and paired her with an actress who's even worse and is dragging her down even more. If their relationship turns romantic (which I hope it won't because I honestly don't see any romantic chemistry here), I'm putting my foot through the TV.

Spencer and Hanna are the best. Their banter was great in this episode. They're my two favorite characters (and the most book-smart and street-smart girls on the show, respectively), so I always love it when they have scenes together.

• Love 4

Spencer, Hanna, Mona, and Caleb should just put their heads together, start collectively hacking and snooping around and put this A thing to rest already, because let's face it, they're the only useful ones when it comes to getting shit done. Then they should get their own detective type spin off where they just solve crime together.

I used to think Aria was the most useles when it came to figuring out who A is, but she's actually stepped her game up quite a bit lately and now it's Emily who is contributing absolutely nothing because Sara is dragging her down.

• Love 4

When Hanna and Spencer were looking at the file in the basement, I am pretty sure they said Charles died six years ago. That would make him about five years older than Ali and about six years old when he went to Radley, with Jason being about five at the time.

But yet he wanted to recreate the prom he missed from 7 years ago in the dollhouse which would make him 7 years older then Ali and about 8 when he went to Radley. Jason would be about 6 years older than Ali and roughly 7 when Charles went away. Charles should have died 8 years ago, not 6.

It's crazy how they can't keep this stuff straight.. Especially since it's only been a few episodes since the season 5 finale where the whole prom from 7 years ago was a major plot point.

• Love 2
(edited)
I can't look at another Spoby scene.

It honestly baffles how this couple became so popular with the viewers. I guess they have some decent chemistry because Trioan seems capable of having chemistry with inanimate objects, but Keegan is so god awful that it just takes me out of any of their scenes. I admit I checked out of the show somewhere in Season 3/early Season 4, because I found all the non answers and red herrings and convoluted stuff annoying.

But I returned this season and found that instead of getting better, since I stopped watching, Keegan's acting actually got worse. His line reading in the second episode when he said to Spencer, "we got him babe" was quite literally cringe inducing. I just don't understand why Spencer and Toby are together and even more baffled why they're so popular.

On the flipside, I've seen so many times how Hanna and Caleb are boring and for me Caleb is the best of the love interests on the show. Tyler is pretty good I think (no worse than most of the cast, excluding Keegan), he and Ashley Benson have good chemistry I think, he's not an older perv having an inappropriate relationship with an underage girl, he's supportive to Hanna and most importantly, that boy gets shit done. Caleb has actually helped with the whole A saga unlike Ezra, the undercover, creepy novelist and Toby who went all TobAy for awhile for reasons that still make little sense but we're supposed to forget happened.

I usually like that Emily is very loyal and supportive, but when she snapped at Caleb about Sara's lack of a job or a high school diploma not helping her emancipation case, I was like whoa, calm the hell down there, Emily.

Emily annoyed me from the last episode when she basically demanded Hanna lie to Caleb because they had to protect Sara. I loved that Hanna responded with the albeit cold but very honest, "I don't even know the girl." What makes no sense to me is that Emily didn't seem to think about telling Sara she was in danger and letting her know to try to be cautious. I don't know I would think if you want to protect someone, you would let them know that there is possible danger around the corner so they can be extra cautious themselves.

But honestly, this whole quickie friendship makes no sense, as others have stated. I just find it hard to believe that with all these girls have been through, they still so easily just trust people - Emily with this Sara nonsense, Aria with the Clarke guy and of course Alison and Lorenzo. I mean really? If this were me, anytime a stranger said hello to me I'd think they were A or working for A.

Completely agree that that Maddie Ziegler scene was completely pointless and went on WAY too long. It was one of the rare times I thought Troian came across awkward in a scene. She looked like she wasn't sure what to go for with her facial and physical reactions and I sort of can't blame her because again, that was a really, really stupid and pointless scene.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I'm sure that they can only get Drew for so many episodes, but I really wish they'd at least mention where Jason was. Last week he and the girls were searching for graves together and he and Ali were hugging it out, and this week he's vanished and Alison is home alone all day.

Hanna and Spencer need to take over the entire show. When they were walking in the basement of Radley and heard Mona, one look and Hanna grabs the file from Spencer so that Spencer can grab a weapon and handle her business. No need to speak, just get the job done.

I also loved that Hanna held the flashlight up to eye level the way cops do when she went to open the door--Hanna and Spencer are a completely badass duo :)

The shout out to Hershey Park also made me smile but I think I'd lose it if I heard a Dutch Wonderland or Dorney Park reference :)

Emily does seem way too invested in Sara, a chick they barely even know.  I know I'd prefer more Mona and Leslie to this rather dull character.

• Love 1
(edited)

This episode was boring mostly because of the wasted time on these new people and their convoluted dead end plots. No, seriously why should I care about Sara, that cop, that creepy photographer or the crazy hipster? What about:

Noel

Jenna

Melissa

Lucas

Jason (I know he was in the last two episodes but he will probably break my heart and disappear again.)

And the great summer of answers decides to have one storyline focus on this girl with the unflattering haircut and her struggle? As I lurk here and nod and agree with all the dropped plot lines and questions that you guys have posted, I'm almost positive that this girl was ranks pretty low on the list of questions we wanted answers for.

Not for the first time I ask myself why I'm still watching this show. At this point, the ending is going to make NO sense. None.

Edited by kissedbyarose
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, the actress playing Sara is weak, to say the least, and her storyline makes no sense. And the only way Emily's sudden overwhelming interest in her makes any sense is if she's an Ali stand-in. Which I think the show did hint at in this episode, when Emily asked why A would target Sara and Spencer replied that Sara was just practice for "the real Ali." The camera cut to Emily then, but with Shay's acting I can't tell whether that was a brief flash of realization or just blankness.

Well, just when I'd given up on anyone ever addressing that Mona framed Ali for her murder, Mona herself brought it up. But it was both funny and sad to see Mona worrying so much about what Ali is going to do to her when we know Ali is just sitting in her house, except for the times when she goes and sits in church. I only wish she would go look Mona up and slap her. I do get that a period of depression/quiet contemplation makes sense after all she's been through, but I hope it's not going to go on for much longer. At least she did snipe at her father, so she's not completely lifeless.

Wasn't tuxedo-Charles in the dollhouse shown to have somewhat long hair? Not proof in itself of gender, of course, but I always thought a woman was a possibility because of that (and also to make it a little less squicky that the girls were undressed that time after they were gassed - since that episode I've preferred to think that A just made Mona or Sara take care of that part, but neither has made any reference to it). She could have just taped her breasts flat, which she would do if she was posing as Charles.

Edited by Black Knight

Hanna and Spencer were the show for me. I loved Spencer in the asylum with her Pot cookies (stoner Spencer needs to be a thing) was creepy and the creepy dancer thing. When Hanna joined her that was amazing as well.

Now they just need to add it all together and have Hanna and CreepyDreamDancer have a dance-off.

I love how little Heather Hogan over at AutoStraddle trusts Sara Harvey:

Oh, also Emily doesn’t go to Aunt Carole’s because she’s gotta make sure Sara stays off the roof, or else Pam’s calling Sarah McLachlan to come get her and take her to the pound first thing in the morning. Over coffee, Sara tells Emily she went to go see her mom, but her mom tried to burn her alive in the yard like a witch, the way she burned all her clothes and books and shit when Sara got kidnapped and/or checked into Radley under the name of Bethany Young.

Emily makes that face she makes that would cause even the sun do her bidding and Caleb hires Sara to be his personal assistant and have unsupervised access to all his surveillance and hacking equipment, and decrypted files.
  • Love 6

I love those recaps!

I've been wondering what she'd have to say about Sara and Emily since last week's episode. I think she hates Sara more than Johnny (another useless character from season 5, hopefully we'll never ever see him again)

• Love 3

This passage is everything. 

Once again, Alison cannot trust the officers of the law who have been hired to protect her. She overhears them talking shit about her, so she steps outside to take some deep breaths, and here comes her shitbird father (whose name, I have been informed, is Kenneth) to tell her to get back inside and shoulder all the slander. It’s her own fault that literally every man she has ever interacted with — from her own brother, Jason; to her brother’s best friend, Ian; to Teacher of the Year, Ezra Fitz; to the police; to Kenneth himself; to (spoiler alert!) Pastor Police Lorenzo — has abused and exploited her. Kenneth tells her to deal with it, says she was a real bitch was she was a 15-year-old child who was trying to survive while being able to trust exactly no adults on earth. She had it coming.

• Love 5

Come on, show, just admit that Sara is evil! She`s into Emily, which always means she`s bad news!

I hate that Emily is getting isolated from the other girls because of Sara. We need the gang together, not this random girl. If she isn't evil, I feel bad for her, but not so much that I want to see her all the dang time. 

Today we learn of the true horror of the series...interpretive dance! 

• Love 3

Am I supposed to hate Emily? Because this Sara nonsense is pushing me over the edge.

Apparently the AriA theorists are getting to me because when Clark told Aria he thought he had told her about the photography contest I immediately thought, No, you told the AriA personality not this one.

I agree that Mona intentionally told the girls about Lesli in Radley and I still think she is more in control than she is letting on. I doubt that the police were really trying to charge her with anything for faking her death and I think the confrontation with Lesli was staged. After all, wouldn't the police be after Alison too? She also faked her death and wasted taxpayer dollars. I think Mona is just trying to make herself look like a victim and less suspicious to the PLL.

• Love 1

Also, Spencer's mother told Spencer that they were going to blame the whole thing on Andrew. Maybe with Andrew not being the answer, they want to press charges on Mona? But I questioned that. 

Also, although I think Mona giving the girls Lesli's file was intentional, I think she is actually afraid of Alison. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Once again, Alison cannot trust the officers of the law who have been hired to protect her. She overhears them talking shit about her, so she steps outside to take some deep breaths, and here comes her shitbird father (whose name, I have been informed, is Kenneth) to tell her to get back inside and shoulder all the slander. It’s her own fault that literally every man she has ever interacted with — from her own brother, Jason; to her brother’s best friend, Ian; to Teacher of the Year, Ezra Fitz; to the police; to Kenneth himself; to (spoiler alert!) Pastor Police Lorenzo — has abused and exploited her.

Slander? I must have imagined Toby and Garrett behind locked up because of Alison then. I like those recaps for the most part but sometimes there is a certain undercurrent of double standard in them that makes me uncomfortable. Like Mona and Alison being praised and say Jason being called an abuser. And frankly, I'm so not disturbed if an 18 year old hooks up with say 22 year old. My main problem with Lorenzo, Ezra and their ilk is that they put me to sleep because they are so boring. Ian, for instance, was much more of a sexual predator than those idiots but he was never boring.

After all, wouldn't the police be after Alison too? She also faked her death and wasted taxpayer dollars

The Rosewood police can only focus on one investigation at a time. Case in point - has anyone mentioned Jessica, Ian or Garrett lately? Seriously, as expected, the police reaction, just like the parents reaction, to the Dollhouse thing is laughable. The only thing they manage to achieve apparently is help Alison's dating life by giving Lorenzo an excuse to come visit her.

And the only way Emily's sudden overwhelming interest in her makes any sense is if she's an Ali stand-in.

Maybe someone should remind Emily what happened the last time she got involved with someone who reminded her of someone she couldn't have. It was annoying enough the first time around with Nate, no need for rehash, thank you very much.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 3
(edited)

The thing is, she could have Ali if she wanted her..

I'm not disturbed by Ali and Lorenzo. And I don't think that's been abusive (Yet...give it time..) but for the most part these girls get more of a pass because they were children when they did the horrible things they did, and for the most part..Ali was really just trying to survive. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 2
Yeah, the actress playing Sara is weak, to say the least, and her storyline makes no sense. And the only way Emily's sudden overwhelming interest in her makes any sense is if she's an Ali stand-in. Which I think the show did hint at in this episode, when Emily asked why A would target Sara and Spencer replied that Sara was just practice for "the real Ali." The camera cut to Emily then, but with Shay's acting I can't tell whether that was a brief flash of realization or just blankness.

I had about given up the writers would adress the elephant in the room. Half of Emily's ridiculous interest on Sara is her need to focus on healing an wounded puppy instead on focusing on healing herself  but the other 50% is definitely her still being hung up on Ali. Sorry, Emily, it's true. Thank you, Spencer. And I definitely noticed the look you mentioned. It looked like shock and realization, but I doubt the writers will dwell deeper on this.

The thing is, she could have Ali if she wanted her..

But then we'd actually have an interesting couple on this show! Can't have that!

• Love 1

I've been lured back in by the lack of Toby and the possibility that A is not an adult male, so I'm watching the show again. Still, I find less and less to like. Except Spencer. Spencer is still perfect and has the best lines. Speaking of lines, that describing Maddie Ziegler's character as someone who looks just like a young Ali must have been the most anvilicious writing in awhile. I don't even care if it leads nowhere; it was still awkward as Hell and just reeked of the writers being unable to help themselves when it comes to shoving red herrings everywhere.

We knew that ABC Family would treat Spencer's pot cookies as evil, right? Still, the scene in the car was so cringe-worthy. If the writers wanted to quickly rehash the addict!Spencer storyline, they should have used something other than pot, imo, because Spencer's state just screams "medicinal marijuana", which makes their handling of the issue more strident than it would have even as recently as, say, a year ago.

• Love 1

Eh, I got no problem with Sara.  I think she's pretty good looking (she looks uncannily like Dianna Agron with that short hair imo), Emily is pretty clearly into it and tbh I'm kinda impressed at Emily's commitment to her Game.  I'm also kinda impressed by Caleb's wingman game too - going to the effort of giving his girlfriends best friend's "girlfriend" a job is some serious next level wingman duties.  Respect.