Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: First Blood

Jackson Oz, an American expat who's working as a safari guide in Africa, has reason to fear his late father's controversial theory that animals pose a threat to the human race is becoming a reality in the premiere of this drama based on a James Patterson novel.
(edited)

Those cats are probably stuck up there.  Ever watch that show on Animal Planet, "Treetop Cat Rescue" or something like that?  The evil HU-MANS have to get the cats down out of the tree.  

I like Billy Burke, but he was in Twilight AND Revolution, so there is that.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

Oh I got to be a test audience for this pilot in April (one of those things you do in Las Vegas if you are there for a week (!) with your entire family (!) and don't like to gamble). My mom and my sister were with me and we all have vastly different preferences for what we like to watch on television. All three of us hated it (for different reasons), which might be the first time in history we have agreed on anything.

• Love 2
(edited)

All of the book reviews I read said it sucked and not in a "Sharknado" type way, but in the M. Night Shyamalan type way.

"Shyamalan"?  Yikes.  XD.

Well it does remind me of The Happening.

Edited by Free

I went through the EW summer TV preview issue a while back and marked my calendar to record this sucker as one of the very few things that interested me enough to give it a try.

And I was thrilled to see that Linda Holmes endorsed it as exactly what I expect it to be (Crazypants television. "Hashtag Summer Hashtag Goofy Hashtag Zoo!"), and she's never steered me wrong.  (Her latest tweet was: "You guys, I don't think I've adequately explained how excited I am about "Zoo."

So I'm in. I love me some crazy if they do it right, so this gets a fair shot from me.

• Love 3

I went through the EW summer TV preview issue a while back and marked my calendar to record this sucker as one of the very few things that interested me enough to give it a try.

And I was thrilled to see that Linda Holmes endorsed it as exactly what I expect it to be (Crazypants television. "Hashtag Summer Hashtag Goofy Hashtag Zoo!"), and she's never steered me wrong.  (Her latest tweet was: "You guys, I don't think I've adequately explained how excited I am about "Zoo."

So I'm in. I love me some crazy if they do it right, so this gets a fair shot from me.

Really?  If it does hold up, this could definitely replace Under the Dome for me in that regard.

Really?  If it does hold up, this could definitely replace Under the Dome for me in that regard.

I will have to judge for myself, but there are enough positive reviews that all seem to have disclaimers that I'm ready to accept.

For example, the Hollywood reporter says "The show does require some leaps in logic." and the NY Daily news with 3/5 stars: "f you’re willing to suspend enough disbelief to enjoy “Zoo,” you will definitely think twice before ever again saying, “Here, kitty, kitty.”

• Love 1

For example, the Hollywood reporter says "The show does require some leaps in logic." and the NY Daily news with 3/5 stars: "f you’re willing to suspend enough disbelief to enjoy “Zoo,” you will definitely think twice before ever again saying, “Here, kitty, kitty.”

Cats would just as soon eat our faces off as anything.

The real leap will be if this stinking show wants us to believe dogs, as a species, turn on us. No go!  Unless they all magically devolve into wolves, I ain't buyin' it!

• Love 2

I don't envy the person whose job it was to get all those cats in that tree, I'll say that.

Also, while this show is definitely not good, I actually enjoyed it. Maybe because I like animals better than people, but I was entertained.

• Love 5

Parts of it did creep me out quite effectively, but I was so-so on it overall. However...since I'm in it for James Wolk I'll probably ride it out whether I like it or not. Hey, that's why God created DVR, to skip through the boring parts so I can get to the pretty. And he is SO pretty--not to mention a hometown boy. Welcome back to TV, Jimmy. 

I didn't like either of the main female leads--the reporter makes some seriously annoying facial contortions, especially with her mouth. That's about all I can think of to say about it.

• Love 1

Why park so far away from the stranded vehicle? To specifically creep through the creepy tall grass?  Then before taking off, cutie James Wolk doesn't even drive around it to check on his friend, there were no screams of getting mauled to death or anything.  Shame on you, James Wolk.  Being cute will only get you so far.  Plus of course he has a cute dog that I now have to worry about.

Wow the reporter was annoying, 

• Love 2

I will have to judge for myself, but there are enough positive reviews that all seem to have disclaimers that I'm ready to accept.

Like I said, it depends on how the series pans out.

It was much better than I expected, although not as witty as some of the comments upthread. I would say it is way better than Under the Dome, which I am proud to say I am no longer watching. Lately I've started watching mystery shows that are too convoluted for casual viewing (second seasons of True Detective and Murder in the First), so, after a sleepless night followed by 8 hours at work, it was nice to have some "hand holding" as the PT reviewerer accurately described the plot exposition.

...Then before taking off, cutie James Wolk doesn't even drive around it to check on his friend, there were no screams of getting mauled to death or anything.  Shame on you, James Wolk....

This was the one thing that really bugged, plus, Abe was my favorite character, so

I'm glad to see he survives and rejoins the team. I might have quit the show without him.

I found all of the actors to be nice to look at, and wasn't too bugged by the women

• Love 3
(edited)

Well I enjoyed it.  I like animals better than people, too. While Kristen Connelly is a little annoying, I find her less so here than in The Whispers.  I guess she wisely ditched that show.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 3
(edited)

So-so... but almost worth it just for the way the obnoxious reporter kept trying to be clever with words and flirty/coy with the vet, and it sailed right over his head. He just wasn't interested. SMACKDOWN!

Plus.. I want a cat tree.

Speaking of which... I can suspend some major disbelief about the premise, but I can't buy that dozens of cats could hang out in a tree and NO ONE noticed. Especially when everyone is looking for lost cats AND when the playfround is scheduled to be opened the next day for summer camp ot whatever. There would be people all over the place getting ready.

So I guess we are meant to assume the cats were hiding elsewhere and only just got in the tree in anticipation of attacking the next day or whatever. Like they could hide ANYWHERE in that quantity and not a single one get spotted even though that was a LOT of cats who had owners looking for them!

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

"Animals running amok" has long been my guilty pleasure movie genre.  There actually have been a couple of good films in that genre (okay, literally two:  The Birds and Jaws), but most of them are dumb, goofy, fun, and so far this show does not disappoint.

I have been to Botswana, and some scenes looked passable and others not right at all.  That thick, green forest at the edge of the golden grass plain was not authentic.  As was a brief shot of Mount Kilimanjaro in the background, considering Mt. K. is in another country.

Other things the show did, surprisingly, get right.  I'm not an expert by any measure, but I watch a lot of nature docs and when several male lions attacked, I was wondering where the lionesses were, and pretty boy mentioned that a large pride of male lions hunting together doesn't happen in the wild.  Same thing when the lion dragged Abraham up the tree, I was thinking that's not lion behavior, leopards do that (to hide their prey from lions), and in the preview it sounded like pretty boy says something about that too.

I have to defend Kristen Connolly a bit.  I have not been that impressed with her on The Whispers or, so far, this show, but she was awesome in The Cabin in the Woods.

• Love 1

I pretty much love any animal attack film/show, so this was totally in my wheelhouse.  I loved almost every silly, goofy, dumb moment. From the pack of lions hunting down the heroes velociraptor style, Billy Burke bitching about how lame humans are (I so want the mid-season twist to be him finding a way to communicate with them and join them in their conquest), great actors like James Wolk and Nonso Anozie slumming it, and best of all, the cat tree!  The evil cat tree!  I can think of several shows that would improve with cat trees!

My biggest issue though is that they really need to do something with the women characters.  Granted, none of these characters are great, but the three male leads at least are watchable.  But I found both the reporter and the French lady obnoxious and grating as all get-out.  Totally forgot that Kristen Connelly is also currently on The Whispers too (dropped that show after two episodes.)

I was cracking up over the big reveal over Jackson figuring out his crazy dad meant pupil as in eyes, instead of student, this entire time.  That idea just never occurred to him?

Between this and Revolution (and the Twilight films), Billy Burke really does gravitate towards schlock, huh?  Just need to get David Lyons on here too, and it would be perfect.

I am somewhat curious over how this is playing out and why, for now, it seems like it's felines that are acting up.  I'm guessing other animals will be joining the fight, but I wonder why they are the first ones? 

• Love 2
(edited)

I read the book in anticipation of this shoe. I enjoyed the book and am enjoying the show not following it exactly.

I understood why they bolted but they could have circled around to check on Abe. No screams, no sounds. Unless Jackson assumed Abe committed suicide to save him the pain.

As crazy as the premise is, there was something slightly unnerving when my 7 week old kitten woke up and crawled up me to nuzzle my neck (like he always does) right after the final scene.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1

The lions got to the radiator on the land rover.  Seriously ?  Have the lions been taking automotive shop classes in their spare time so they know the weak points of a car ?

The lion CGI to make them look more menacing was pretty bad too.  And the 'Defiant Pupil' theory -- pretty lame.

When Ranger Rick and the bus survivor were driving down the road, from one point of view they were driving down a rough road but when the camera view changed you would swear they were driving down a paved highway it was so smooth.   And that fall down the cliff should have seriously injured both of them.

• Love 5
(edited)

Considering how homo sapiens has treated the other species on this planet, I'd say that "justifiable homicide" is a valid defense for the animals.

Edited by Pippin
  • Love 8

...And the 'Defiant Pupil' theory -- pretty lame...

I kept thinking a visually impaired lion should be a lesser foe, but then

...And that fall down the cliff should have seriously injured both of them.

--when this happened and they got up and walked away, I figured that was the initial shout out to the audience that nothing we see on the show can ever possibly happen, and let the MST3K comments begin.
  • Love 4

I wasn't paying too much attention to this episode.  First the company that does the Macys fireworks show on July 4th had their annual rehearsal for the big show, so I was watching that, and then Deadliest Catch was on, so I was trying to watch that.  But...

I was cracking up over the big reveal over Jackson figuring out his crazy dad meant pupil as in eyes, instead of student, this entire time.  That idea just never occurred to him?

I laughed so hard at this.  I don't know if it was supposed to be funny, but it was to me.

Between this and Revolution (and the Twilight films), Billy Burke really does gravitate towards schlock, huh?  Just need to get David Lyons on here too, and it would be perfect.

Billy Burke AND David Lyons together again in schlock.  That would be must see viewing for me.  Have both of them work together to figure out how to communicate with the animals.  Or David Lyons could be a mad scientist, like in those old James Bond movies, someone who can communicate with animals because he wants to take over the world.  

I am somewhat curious over how this is playing out and why, for now, it seems like it's felines that are acting up.  I'm guessing other animals will be joining the fight, but I wonder why they are the first ones?

Felines know what's up, that's why.  

What always kills me is when they show cats and play a track of cats meowing as if they didn't do that we wouldn't know those were cats.  

• Love 3

So the theory at this point is that the animals have mutated because they are eating meat fed to cattle that ate pesticide-laden crops? Then wouldn't that affect humans too? (Most humans eat meat) And why would it affect lions in Africa, which eat what they hunt? I assume further episodes will explain this.

Enjoyed the little shoutout to Jurassic Park with the aerial shot of the lions angling thru the tall grass to catch the humans, a la raptors.

And I assume the lions and cats are acting up all over the country (and world?) since they said half the zoos in America use that brand of meat. Do we assume it's in the cat food too?

I like any kind of "mankind is doomed" show, and have been bitterly disappointed so many times, so my expectations are very low.

• Love 1

I am somewhat curious over how this is playing out and why, for now, it seems like it's felines that are acting up.  I'm guessing other animals will be joining the fight, but I wonder why they are the first ones? 

I can't wait for the dolphins to join the fun. 

I was able to suspend disbelief for almost everything. The only thing that got me was when he said that usually there is only one male lion and maybe two over a pride made up of lionesses.  (I'm a big male lion defender, by the way. They have a shit life not at all like it is typically presented as they sit around and let the lionesses do all the work.) Prides can absolutely have three male lions, usually brothers.  Also, while five is ridiculous, it is not odd that the male lions would be the ones out killing stuff just to kill stuff. They're typically the ones who jump right in to deal with Hyena problems as well as getting rid of other male lions.  So it makes sense (hee!) in this scenario that it would be the male lions taking the lead on the "kill all humans" campaign.

• Love 6

Dolphins are smart.  I'm surprised that haven't turned on us for real.   I loved seeing the lions.  They are amazing animals.  I remember seeing a PBS documentary years ago about lions and hyenas.  A pack of hyenas was taunting a group of female lions and this huge male lion came out of no where and killed the head hyena and the rest high tailed it out of there.  It was amazing video.

I like the show.  It's mindless summer fun.  As someone mentioned up thread, it will be interesting to see what the dogs do.

• Love 5

So the theory at this point is that the animals have mutated because they are eating meat fed to cattle that ate pesticide-laden crops? Then wouldn't that affect humans too? (Most humans eat meat) And why would it affect lions in Africa, which eat what they hunt? I assume further episodes will explain this.

I thought it was just the muckraking journalist who thought this. She had been investigating that company so when the lions attacked she leaped to blame them for the food. I thought by showing what was happening to the African lions, they were showing she was wrong about that. But I could be wrong, I was kind of watching this in the background.

I too would like a cat tree. I thought it was funny that was the "big reveal" at the end of the episode. Sure there were a lot of them, but kitty cats in a tree aren't that scary. They weren't doing anything scary. Yet.

• Love 2

Seeing that Miles Matheson becomes a nerdy animal pathologist and Dan Egan becomes a serious - while sleeping with a subordinate - newspaper editor, I find it hard to take this show seriously. 

I don't think this is supposed to be taken seriously but if it is, it could make a fun trainwreck show.

It would be interesting if the dolphins and humans had to work together against what is plaguing the other animals in order to survive. Now I'm picturing a dolphin in a tank in a lab wearing glasses and reading a book or computer screen.

• Love 3
(edited)

Cats would just as soon eat our faces off as anything.

The real leap will be if this stinking show wants us to believe dogs, as a species, turn on us. No go!  Unless they all magically devolve into wolves, I ain't buyin' it!

Cats just want to do their own thing, in their own time.  Our faces just aren't all that interesting to them, unless we're saying "Treats".

I buy it.  Dog attacks are a common occurrence.  Wolf attacks?   Not so much.  :-)

I'm in.  Summer diversion, disaster and animals - what's not to love?!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5
(edited)

Ok, I had very low expectation for this show anyway, but about 15 seconds into this show I was already laughing at the horrible writing. I have a mental list called The Writing Is So Bad I'll Never Hold This Show/Movie Against the Actors list and I'd like to formally welcome ZOO to its ranks. I do love that the actors are playing it so straight. Bless them.

Still I'm glad I have a cheesetastic show to watch over the summer since I don't watch reality shows. YAY!  

Going to defend the ladies a little. Ok, well I'm mostly defending the French one, but still. I didn't really have a problem with her other than wondering how the hell she survived the lion attack. At this point she seems to just exist to be a future love interest for James Wolk (just realized I don't any characters names aside from Abe. Ha.) which sucks, but that's a writing issue.

Based on the preview it looks like she might have more to her.

Reporter was annoying as all hell, and I just realized I can't really defend her because the Plucky Reporter almost always annoys the hell out of me. Never saw The Whispers show so many posters have mentioned, but Connolly was great in Cabin in the Woods and House of Cards, so I'm hoping Reporter at least get less annoying.

I can never remember if previews are spoilers, so I'm tagging this just in case but

I'm oddly excited that all of these numbskulls get together at some point. Also, Hi, Abe! Looking forwards to the insane explanation of how you survived a lion attack/being held hostage by lions in the tree in Botswana!

Those cats in the tree looked so fake. Real bad CGI. The cats looked pissed though, probably pissed at their agents.

Am I a terrible person for immediately thinking the Tree Cats are going to attack the kids at the Day Camp and . . . . being kind of psyched about that possibility?

Why park so far away from the stranded vehicle? To specifically creep through the creepy tall grass?  Then before taking off, cutie James Wolk doesn't even drive around it to check on his friend, there were no screams of getting mauled to death or anything.  Shame on you, James Wolk.  Being cute will only get you so far.  Plus of course he has a cute dog that I now have to worry about.

I couldn't figure out why they parked so far away either! Guys, pull up to the vehicle. Idiots. I wasn't too bummed that they didn't drive around to check on Abe. I mean, I think my instincts would be telling me to get the fuck away from there what with the presence of 5 murderous lions on and around my vehicle. I did think it was weird that there weren't any screams from Abe. I've decided it because Abe is a badass.

I was cracking up over the big reveal over Jackson figuring out his crazy dad meant pupil as in eyes, instead of student, this entire time.  That idea just never occurred to him?

Ok, the defiant eye reveal complete with flashback was the best. My reaction was one of those laughs that starts with a chuckle that slowly leads in to a full on guffaw. I hope a gif exists of the Defiant Left Eye Staredown with James Wolk (what the hell is his character's name?!) at the cliff edge. I didn't even hear what he mumbled because I was giggling too hard.

The lions got to the radiator on the land rover.  Seriously ?  Have the lions been taking automotive shop classes in their spare time so they know the weak points of a car ?

Laughed out loud at this. Was there even any damage to the hood of the car? I mean, why did the lions have to be the ones who busted the radiator . . . . it's a radiator. It could've just crapped out because you've been driving all over Botswana, the last half of which you were hauling ass away from the aforementioned murderous lions with defiant eyes. 

Felines know what's up, that's why.  

Hee! If it's ever revealed that the entire feline population has been patiently planning our demise for hundreds of years I'd believe it. There's a commercial (I don't remember what for) where a guy is sinking in quicksand and he's telling a cat to go get help and the cat is just chillin' there at the edge looking at the guy and flicking his tail. Every time I see it I think that's just what my cat would do. Sit there in judgment and while thinking "You got yourself into this mess. Don't expect me to help, you idiot."

Edited by hardy har
  • Love 6

best of all, the cat tree!  The evil cat tree!  I can think of several shows that would improve with cat trees!

Billy Burke really does gravitate towards schlock, huh?

it seems like it's felines that are acting up.  I'm guessing other animals will be joining the fight, but I wonder why they are the first ones? 

They should just rename the series "Evil Cat Trees" and I agree... so many shows could benefit from an evil cat tree! Now I'm thinking of the results of mashups of shows with this evil cat tree. I'm especially thinking that Wayward Pines needs an ECT. (which ironically shares an acronym with Electroconvulsive therapy!)

Of course it's starting with felines... because everyone loves to see lions! And many people will root for the lions as opposed to, say, killer bees, sharks, insects, wild boars, condors, etc. Though I would totally root for condors.

They needed an animal that had both wild and domestic counterparts so that many types of human communities could be shown. "Domestic" cats are only barely domesticated compared to dogs or farm animals, and they sorta domesticated themselves because it suited their needs to hang around with us.

They WILL eat your face off if you die and they are trapped in your home with you and hungry. Dogs will just waste away lying beside you in grief. A house cat can actually do a &*$(-load of damage even to a human, especially one that instinctively doesn't want to harm the cat. A totally freaked out cat that attacks without fear can hurt you much worse than a dog of equivalent size.

Billy Burke was also in Major Crimes and The Closer as Stroh. If it weren't for the fact that the Stroh storyline went way past its sell-by date, I'd want to see more of him

I understood why they bolted but they could have circled around to check on Abe. No screams, no sounds. Unless Jackson assumed Abe committed suicide to save him the pain.

Well, he did have shrill french girl pulling him and yelling at him. Although if I had just seen a busload of people get torn apart and eaten by a pack of predators, I'd be pretty hysterical too. And when those predators are busy with one victim, you don't call attention to yourself as a potential dessert cart.. you scoot.

What always kills me is when they show cats and play a track of cats meowing as if they didn't do that we wouldn't know those were cats.  

Haha! I didn't notice the soundtrack.. I was too busy wondering how they got so many cats to cooperate. I couldn't tell on my tv that it was CGI

I'm waiting for them to discover that the dolphins all left earth completely. ;)

• Love 2

And that fall down the cliff should have seriously injured both of them.

Oh, that fall down the cliff completely cracked me up! It went on for SO LONG, I almost couldn't believe it. But no, they really spent that amount of time showing people falling down a hill. It was amazing. Not of the same quality, certainly, but it made me think of the similar scene in The Princess Bride.

As of right now, I don't think it's been confirmed that the pesticide-laden food is the culprit - that's just the spunky reporter's theory. I don't imagine the show would introduce an evil corporation as possible culprit only to drop it all together, so I too am assuming further episodes will delve into this.

I read the book in anticipation of this shoe. I enjoyed the book and am enjoying the show not following it exactly.

I read this book on the recommendation of the I09 blog, what a huge disappointment. It was so bad, I stopped halfway through, glad to see the tv adaptation lives up to my assessment for the most part. I may have to check it out just to laugh, and of course see all the animals kill their human overlords.

Curious, though, what happened to Oz's chimp?

• Love 1

I'm not one who watched SyFy or the Walking Dead shows so this as far as I want to go for a plot line. I really enjoyed it as long as it doesn't reach too far into crazy. I did roll my eyes when they started out with the attack on a GMO corporation. Since the attacks in Africa blow that idea out of the water though I'm in for following this one. It moves fast which I like.

I don't care about GCI stuff. It's a network and they started out with an hour opening. Might not want to put a lot of money into it until they know it's a hit. Netflix, Dish and Discovery have been beating their butt and CBS probably can't afford top quality yet.

Am I a terrible person for immediately thinking the Tree Cats are going to attack the kids at the Day Camp and . . . . being kind of psyched about that possibility?

Hee! If it's ever revealed that the entire feline population has been patiently planning our demise for hundreds of years I'd believe it. There's a commercial (I don't remember what for) where a guy is sinking in quicksand and he's telling a cat to go get help and the cat is just chillin' there at the edge looking at the guy and flicking his tail. Every time I see it I think that's just what my cat would do. Sit there in judgment and while thinking "You got yourself into this mess. Don't expect me to help, you idiot."

1. No you are not.

2. And there was also Cat Lassie:

• Love 4

They should just rename the series "Evil Cat Trees" and I agree... so many shows could benefit from an evil cat tree! Now I'm thinking of the results of mashups of shows with this evil cat tree. I'm especially thinking that Wayward Pines needs an ECT. (which ironically shares an acronym with Electroconvulsive therapy!)

Of course it's starting with felines... because everyone loves to see lions! And many people will root for the lions as opposed to, say, killer bees, sharks, insects, wild boars, condors, etc. Though I would totally root for condors.

They needed an animal that had both wild and domestic counterparts so that many types of human communities could be shown. "Domestic" cats are only barely domesticated compared to dogs or farm animals, and they sorta domesticated themselves because it suited their needs to hang around with us.

They WILL eat your face off if you die and they are trapped in your home with you and hungry. Dogs will just waste away lying beside you in grief. A house cat can actually do a &*$(-load of damage even to a human, especially one that instinctively doesn't want to harm the cat. A totally freaked out cat that attacks without fear can hurt you much worse than a dog of equivalent size.

Billy Burke was also in Major Crimes and The Closer as Stroh. If it weren't for the fact that the Stroh storyline went way past its sell-by date, I'd want to see more of him

Well, he did have shrill french girl pulling him and yelling at him. Although if I had just seen a busload of people get torn apart and eaten by a pack of predators, I'd be pretty hysterical too. And when those predators are busy with one victim, you don't call attention to yourself as a potential dessert cart.. you scoot.

Haha! I didn't notice the soundtrack.. I was too busy wondering how they got so many cats to cooperate. I couldn't tell on my tv that it was CGI

I'm waiting for them to discover that the dolphins all left earth completely. ;)

"So long and thanks for all the fish."