Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Larry's your best comparison to Peter, I think.  But he had a short term role to play a part in a specific plot---a plot that probably could have been told without him but he won the "let's make it be this guy from 20 years ago still upset over being dumped" lottery.  It was really short and specific.

Was it him that made the plot successful or was it the fact that it was about Bo and Hope?

So in theory, yes, Peter could fill a short term role like that. But I don't think the show needs him like that.

Peter Blake isn't Steve.  Steve was a well-integrated member of the show with close ties to his family, friends, he was part of a supercouple and he had a child.  There was always a place for him. 

Peter wasn't that.  I just don't understand the feeling that Melissa's alleged "no Peter rule" was preventing the show from having one of its greatest characters and now that she's gone, they should bring him back.  That rule, if it exists, really isn't a hardship for the show.

Not every minor character needs to come back to the show.  Peter does not need to come back enough with the Dimeras. Jack and Jennifer never needed interlopers to be interesting.  It is a shame that these stupid writers never realized that.. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Larry's your best comparison to Peter, I think.  But he had a short term role to play a part in a specific plot---a plot that probably could have been told without him but he won the "let's make it be this guy from 20 years ago still upset over being dumped" lottery.  It was really short and specific.

Was it him that made the plot successful or was it the fact that it was about Bo and Hope?

That storyline would have never been riveting if it wasnt for Larry .

Infact Andrew Massett was the MVP of that storyline . What you talking about ? 

If Larry wasnt responsible for the success of that storyline then why didnt Vin Ramsell ,the low life gun smuggler bo and hope were hunting during their brief bounty hunting career  ,become a super successful storyline afterall he did  kidnap Hope and Bo rescued her as usual ?

Why wasnt that particular storyline riveting even though we knew Bo and Hope would overcome the odds ?

Larry had the edge because of the character's prior history with the show and they added Billie (Bo's ex ) and Shane (Shane posed as Larry's butler when he first joined the show )  to the mix thus giving the story extra flavour . 

And that is why I strongly advocate the use of characters who are actually rooted in the show's history. Not made up BS like Paul,Tripp and Jake /Stefan. 

Edited by Rafael
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Peter Blake isn't Steve.  Steve was a well-integrated member of the show with close ties to his family, friends, he was part of a supercouple and he had a child.  There was always a place for him. 

Peter wasn't that.  I just don't understand the feeling that Melissa's alleged "no Peter rule" was preventing the show from having one of its greatest characters and now that she's gone, they should bring him back.  That rule, if it exists, really isn't a hardship for the show.

Peter is like Steve. He is also a member of a core family- the DiMera family to be exact. 

He is not a standalone character  like Dr shah or Aiden .

Peter  was on the canvas for 6 years . 

steve was on the canvas for 5 years during his first stint . 

Peter  was married to jen . He was Abby's stepdad and he and Little Abby got along . 

Peter  was close to Celeste , Theo's grandma . Peter could easily have a soft spot for him due to this connection.

He is Kristen's brother . 

John would have a grudge against Peter because Peter was the prosecutor who managed to get John sentenced to death for the "murder " of "Tony DiMera " . 

He is a qualified attorney and performed the role Justin performs for the Kiriakis clan. He could easily return to support Chad and help him run the empire  . 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rafael said:

And that is why I strongly advocate the use of characters who are actually rooted in the show's history. Not made up BS like Paul,Tripp and Jake /Stefan. 

Like Diana being obsessed with John? Rooted in history but no based on the character.

1 hour ago, Rafael said:

What you talking about ? 

I'm talking about my "unpopular" opinions.  (Although I don't know if it's unpopular given that most people haven't a clue who Peter Blake is).

1 hour ago, Rafael said:

That's just it, Peter Blake was literal made up BS when he joined the cast. Neither he or Kristen were "rooted in history."  Every argument you make against Jake/Stefan could be applied to him.  Jake/Stefan are just Peter/Kristen 25 years later.  At this point, Jake/Stefan are just as much part of this show's history as Peter Blake ever was.

As for the Steve and Peter comparison, importance to the show is far more nuanced then length of service.  Steve Johnson only had a vague backstory when he came on in relation to Bo.  He was basically starting at zero with no history--he wasn't actually connected to a core family. 

What separates him, even though his first stint was shorter than Peter's, is that he took a character from zero and eventually had a core family developed because of his popularity.  That core family exists because of him and all roads led back to him. With Peter, he was attached to a core family in an attempt to give him relevance. These days, no roads lead back to him.

So no, they're not the same.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's just it, Peter Blake was literal made up BS when he joined the cast. Neither he or Kristen were "rooted in history."  Every argument you make against Jake/Stefan could be applied to him.  Jake/Stefan are just Peter/Kristen 25 years later.  At this point, Jake/Stefan are just as much part of this show's history as Peter Blake ever was.

As for the Steve and Peter comparison, importance to the show is far more nuanced then length of service.  Steve Johnson only had a vague backstory when he came on in relation to Bo.  He was basically starting at zero with no history--he wasn't actually connected to a core family. 

What separates him, even though his first stint was shorter than Peter's, is that he took a character from zero and eventually had a core family developed because of his popularity.  That core family exists because of him and all roads led back to him. With Peter, he was attached to a core family in an attempt to give him relevance. These days, no roads lead back to him.

How was Peter made up BS when Tony told  Marlena that he had 3 brothers when he first arrived on on the show in the early 1980s ? 

Atleast JER took the one single  sentence of dialogue  which   Pat Falken Smith and the breakdown writers wrote in the early 1980s and ran with it when he introduced Peter in the early 1990s  . 

Edited by Rafael
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Jake and his garbage twin were literally made up on the fly . They had no actual historical basis to even  exist.

What made their creations laughable was the fact that Stefano and Vivian interacted throughout the 1990s and even briefly married back in 1998 and yet not once did we get any hint that Vivian had stefanos baby in the 80s. What made it extta laughable was the fact that Stefano even implanted a device in her tooth to control her behaviour . He could have easily demanded that she reveal her secrets to him while under his control . 

Hell ,even this fake legacy punk Stefan said he never met stefano .making his existence a collosal joke and a pathetic attempt by carlivati to shoe horn him into the DiMera fold in order to make his failed creation happen  .shame ,he even had Theo try to prop up this clown by proclaiming him to be a super chess player implying this gift was passed down to him by Stefano. 

Unlike Jake and Stefan ,Peter has an actual legitimate historical basis to exist without being made an instant DiMera to make him relevant . Atleast he was partially mentioned a decade before he arrived in Salem. 

Edited by Rafael
24 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Atleast JER took the one single  sentence of dialogue  which   Pat Falken Smith and the breakdown writers wrote in the early 1980s and ran with it when he introduced Peter in the early 1990s  . 

Ah yes, JER the great DOOL historian. So only the brothers got a mention?

Anyway, my point still stands about the character regardless of whether or one thinks that the line is enough to create a sound historical basis for a character who wasn't really mentioned by name until he showed up. 

But rereading Stefano's character history alone is enough to validate Stefan/Jake. Stefan just has a TON of unknown bastard children out there going way back.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

The only reason why I brought up Steve was simply to illustrate how a character can return and be reintegrated succesfully  into the show  again despite being absent from the canvas  for quite a number of years . 

Thats it. 

I didnt bring up steve in order to do a play by play character  comparison between him and Peter. 

Edited by Rafael
23 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Ah yes, JER the great DOOL historian. So only the brothers got a mention?

Anyway, my point still stands about the character regardless of whether or one thinks that the line is enough to create a sound historical basis for a character who wasn't really mentioned by name until he showed up. 

But rereading Stefano's character history alone is enough to validate Stefan/Jake. Stefan just has a TON of unknown bastard children out there going way back.

BS . That is not enough to validate Stefan /Jake .  

Stefano and Vivian were literally interacting throughout the 1990s  and even married briefly in 1998 and stefano literally mind controlled her through that tooth device and yet we never ever got any hint that vivian was hiding secrets involving secret babies  despite Stefano controlling her behaviour .

This jake /Stefan nonsense would have worked if Carlivati also followed JER 's lead and used Tony's single line of dialogue during the early 80s and introduced his failed flop Stefan without making him Vivian's son.

That is the only way  Stefan would have worked . 

Hence why Stefan is the biggest flop in the history of this show despite having his contrieved parents being two memorable characters like Stefano and Vivian. 

Peter never even got half of the propping this failed flop got . 

He is a success compared to Stefan. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Not every minor character needs to come back to the show. 

Let's face it, nobody needs to come back. But this is a soap opera, and that's what they do.

That said, I'd love to see Peter back...and how he'd interact with brothers, Chad & Jake. Who will gain power of the empire? Will it be two brothers against one, or will they all get along?? Could be many stories told there.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

Let's face it, nobody needs to come back. But this is a soap opera, and that's what they do.

That said, I'd love to see Peter back...and how he'd interact with brothers, Chad & Jake. Who will gain power of the empire? Will it be two brothers against one, or will they all get along?? Could be many stories told there.

True but I think Peter should have been brought back years ago, perhaps when Jack was presumed dead.  I am just tired of all things Dimera. How about they create new villains, I thought Clyde played by James Reade had potential to be really great but they had to make him a rapist..

• Love 1

There are two reasons to bring back a character. Reason 1 is to drive story. Reason 2 is to bring back lapsed viewers, for this reason the original actor or stunt casting is required. Ideally, both reasons should be present. 

Bringing back Peter Blake might appeal to lapsed viewers who watched faithfully during JER's first run. I was beginning to lapse then but even though I was inclined to hate the Blakes on principle, I understood what they brought to the canvas. Two characters who were tied to Stefano but were not necessarily his creatures. Remember that Kristen started out as a heroine, a heroine who read War & Peace in Russian for fun. Peter, iirc, was morally ambiguous at first and the story was all about would he go all good with Jen or go all Dimera. Meh. Whatever. It didn't hook me but I enjoyed the Kristen, Billie, Jennifer friendship. 

Kristen's return in 2011 (or 2012) was textbook how to achieve 1 and 2. She didn't roll into down hellbent on vengence, There was some ambiguity. She caused problems for Mar and John, because John is a dope. Her hookup with Brady was hot and so chronologically wrong all at the same time.  Her first failed wedding confrontation with Marlena was epic Her exit drove story for months after. It was good stuff. (Eric wandering around the chapel in shock while the whole down rewatches the video? Good times.) I didn't care about Kristen in her first run but I was 100% for her second.

Carly's return was a textbook example in awful. And I loved Carly back in the day. Marlena's 1991 return? Solid, and I was kinda over Mar by then.

Steve's first return 6 of one, a half-dozen of the other. I'm enough of a fangirl that I would have watched no matter what. I watched SN & MBE on GH and I still have the emotional scars to prove it. SN and MBE sell whatever they're given and the writers have been reasonable respectful of their past without ever actually giving them a great story. But I'll take what I can get. 

So I'm not opposed to brining back Peter because he has ties to characters on the canvas, might inspire a few lapsed viewers to tune in, and he might tell Jennifer to park her high horse. Also, he could kill Abby. I can dream.

• Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 1:32 AM, Pearson80 said:

How about bringing back some more Bradys, Kiriakis or Hortons. I may not be a fan of JER but I always loved it when he said that you can never have too many Bradys in Salem.  

Agree  . Barash should have been Max Brady . Linsey should have been Stephanie Johnson . Then they could have brought Alexis Thorpe back as Cassie Brady and they should have had  her return with Jack instead of Jack returning from the dead with Faux Eve . 

As for the Hortons , the time has come for Mike Horton to return . If Michael T Weiss doesnt want to return ,they can then bring back roark critchlow . Then add Jeremy Horton by getting trevor donovan to reprise the role . 

Then bring back Scotty Banning , But he should be de-SORAS'd slightly . Scotty is Eli 's half brother. Cast either Jacob Young or Justin Torkidsen in the role . 

Also bring in Faith Taylor  who left salem with Scotty and we find out she and scotty are married.  Cast Jen Landon as Faith Taylor -Banning. 

• Love 2

THIS MAy sound like blasphemy to most but I reckon the time has come for Hope Williams-Brady to be killed off for good ! 

They really didn't know what to do with Hope after Bo died. 

Its time . Hope had a nice run  and Kristian sure as hell doesnt want to return to the show.

The time has come to kill her off and give her an epic funeral just like the funeral John Black had back in 2007 . 

Reveal that she found Ciara alive where she has been held this entire time then a rescue mission insues  and in a fire fight with Vincent's goons , she jumps right in front of Ciara and takes a bullet for her and dies . 

Her life would come full circle in a way because when she was an infant her mum ,Adelaide Horton, pushed her pram out of the way when a car was about to hit baby Hope and Adelaide got Hope out the way just in time  and ended up getting hit by the car and dying in the process.

Have Ciara contacting Shawn and Shawn informs Jen and others that Hope died saving Ciara and Shawn and Jen plus Doug and Julie go out there to bring Hope's body back home for burial . 

Could lead to to the brief return of Hope and Julie's brother ,Stephen Olsen . Plus Dougie Le Cleir ,Hope's other half brother can show up as well  .Also Stephen's son ,Spencer Olsen can show up.And ofcourse Mike Horton as well.

Edited by Rafael
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

She and Aiden were actually a good pair.  Aiden was a good guy.  Then for some unknown reason, they made him and his son evil.

This ended up ruining Hope and Ciara more in the long run we just didn't know it at the time and neither have recovered from it.

Ken wanted Rafe/Hope that's why they pushed Aiden aside. Which is unfortunate even if Hope/Aiden weren't going to work out they could've paired Aiden with a variety of women on this show as he wasn't related to most of Salem. 

• Love 2

I always thought that Aiden/Kayla sparkled more than Aiden/Hope.  That brief scene between Aiden and Kayla  at the Horton square before Wilson's wedding intrigued me and I wanted more of them. The show has never had any interest in Kayla outside her relationship with Steve.. I will always bitch about Kayla not having had a relationship when Steve was dead. She was celibate for 16 years, come on now! Whereas Steve in his amnesiac state loved that dreadful Ava and had a child with her.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I always thought that Aiden/Kayla sparkled more than Aiden/Hope.  That brief scene between Aiden and Kayla  at the Horton square before Wilson's wedding intrigued me and I wanted more of them. The show has never had any interest in Kayla outside her relationship with Steve.. I will always bitch about Kayla not having had a relationship when Steve was dead. She was celibate for 16 years, come on now! Whereas Steve in his amnesiac state loved that dreadful Ava and had a child with her.. 

This isn't entirely accurate Kayla and Shane had a relationship when Steve was presumed dead. Course the show acted like it didn't happen until Kate of all people brought it up and threw it in her face.

I would've gone for Aiden/Kayla tbh. Like I said if he and Hope didn't work out I could've easily seen him with a variety of other women on this show. For some reason they don't think long term with the characters they do bring in or realize that maybe they could work in a different story/direction. Patrick was another one who I could've seen paired with a variety of other women on this show.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

This isn't entirely accurate Kayla and Shane had a relationship when Steve was presumed dead. Course the show acted like it didn't happen until Kate of all people brought it up and threw it in her face.

I would've gone for Aiden/Kayla tbh. Like I said if he and Hope didn't work out I could've easily seen him with a variety of other women on this show. For some reason they don't think long term with the characters they do bring in or realize that maybe they could work in a different story/direction. Patrick was another one who I could've seen paired with a variety of other women on this show.

I don't count Shayla because it made everybody involved in that story look bad and everybody was written out of character for that BS. Kayla would never have gone for Shane and lied by omission by keeping Shane from knowing that Jeannie/Theresa was his daughter. It creeped me out how she had Shane play daddy to Stefanie while he ignored baby Jeannie.  Shane accepted Andrew as his son even when he believed he was Victor's son.  He never would have rejected Kim's daughter even if she was Cal's. Why do soaps do this sort of thing, it just alienates the audience  but I digress.  Shane who loved Kim and knowing all of her issues would never have looked at Kayla. Plus, they had Kim a survivor of  child sex abuse and incest in a relationship with Lawrence a rapist.. I also hated how everybody treated Kim like she was an idiot, Shane and Kayla were talking down to her in that era. Even Jack took potshots at her and it pissed me off since Jack raped Kayla.  Kayla even called Kim a whore behind her back. So, I don't count Shane as a viable love interest for Kayla after Steve died..

The show could have written it as Kayla becoming very attached to Shane due to loneliness after Steve died. Shane acting as big brother could have been helping her out with Stefanie.  They begin to develop a tight bond and rumor starts going around town that they are sleeping with each other.  It even has the Brady family talking and one day Kim overhears her parents talking and Papa Sean is saying how wrong it is for Kayla to be spending so much time with Shane because of Kim.  Kim confronts Kayla and Shane, both denying the accusations of  an affair they assure her that they are just friends, not to mention they will always be family because of Kim.  However Kim remains doubtful. 

On the anniversary of Steve's death, Kayla has a meltdown,  Shane is there to comfort  and perhaps they share a kiss.  Shane lets her down easily and it just adds to her feelings of rejection and loneliness.  For a while they avoid each other and Shane's rejection of her causes Kayla's dormant jealousy of Papa's Sean obvious favoritism of Kim to come to the surface causing a rift between the sisters. Kayla even speaks to her dad about how his constant praise of Kim caused her to feel unloved.  All her life, she had to hear her dad praise Kim as "the best and the brightest", why did he not feel she was deserving of that type of praise as well.  Eventually the sisters hatch it out and Kayla realizes that Papa Sean's favoritism damaged Kim in so many ways given that Kim felt that she had to be perfect for her parents causing her to hide her sexual abuse by her uncle Eric that caused permanent damage to Kim's psyche..

All of the Brady kids knew that their father's love was conditional and they all behaved accordingly. Roman became a mini Sean, Kim suppressed her feelings to her detriment, Kayla became the peacemaker avoiding conflict and Bo rebelled against the status quo by challenging Sean at every opportunity causing a rift between them.  It is not that hard to write a story without destroying the characters integrity for a story. If I am not a writer and I could come up with a story , why can't the writers put  some thought into writing a story..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, JaneDigby said:

If it means Abby leaving town, I'm a-okay with a Dimera exodus. 

As much as I love Hope, I've been team Hope since KA took over the role in the early 80s, I'm not all that sad to see her go. Sticking her with Rafe was lame and gave Hope nothing to do. I just wish she had a proper send off. 

The last time Hope had any kind of interesting storyline was with Aidan. I think she even said as much in an exit interview. Personally I would have loved if Hope got to die a hero's death and we saw her reunite with Bo in Heaven. That would have been a fitting send-off. Hell, if they couldn't get Bo back, they could have simply bathed Hope in a heavenly light and had her walk towards the camera saying simply, "Bo" as her face fills with tears of joy and we fade to white. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't count Shayla because it made everybody involved in that story look bad and everybody was written out of character for that BS. Kayla would never have gone for Shane and lied by omission by keeping Shane from knowing that Jeannie/Theresa was his daughter. It creeped me out how she had Shane play daddy to Stefanie while he ignored baby Jeannie.  Shane accepted Andrew as his son even when he believed he was Victor's son.  He never would have rejected Kim's daughter even if she was Cal's. Why do soaps do this sort of thing, it just alienates the audience  but I digress.  Shane who loved Kim and knowing all of her issues would never have looked at Kayla. Plus, they had Kim a survivor of  child sex abuse and incest in a relationship with Lawrence a rapist.. I also hated how everybody treated Kim like she was an idiot, Shane and Kayla were talking down to her in that era. Even Jack took potshots at her and it pissed me off since Jack raped Kayla.  Kayla even called Kim a whore behind her back. So, I don't count Shane as a viable love interest for Kayla after Steve died..

The show could have written it as Kayla becoming very attached to Shane due to loneliness after Steve died. Shane acting as big brother could have been helping her out with Stefanie.  They begin to develop a tight bond and rumor starts going around town that they are sleeping with each other.  It even has the Brady family talking and one day Kim overhears her parents talking and Papa Sean is saying how wrong it is for Kayla to be spending so much time with Shane because of Kim.  Kim confronts Kayla and Shane, both denying the accusations of  an affair they assure her that they are just friends, not to mention they will always be family because of Kim.  However Kim remains doubtful. 

On the anniversary of Steve's death, Kayla has a meltdown,  Shane is there to comfort  and perhaps they share a kiss.  Shane lets her down easily and it just adds to her feelings of rejection and loneliness.  For a while they avoid each other and Shane's rejection of her causes Kayla's dormant jealousy of Papa's Sean obvious favoritism of Kim to come to the surface causing a rift between the sisters. Kayla even speaks to her dad about how his constant praise of Kim caused her to feel unloved.  All her life, she had to hear her dad praise Kim as "the best and the brightest", why did he not feel she was deserving of that type of praise as well.  Eventually the sisters hatch it out and Kayla realizes that Papa Sean's favoritism damaged Kim in so many ways given that Kim felt that she had to be perfect for her parents causing her to hide her sexual abuse by her uncle Eric that caused permanent damage to Kim's psyche..

All of the Brady kids knew that their father's love was conditional and they all behaved accordingly. Roman became a mini Sean, Kim suppressed her feelings to her detriment, Kayla became the peacemaker avoiding conflict and Bo rebelled against the status quo by challenging Sean at every opportunity causing a rift between them.  It is not that hard to write a story without destroying the characters integrity for a story. If I am not a writer and I could come up with a story , why can't the writers put  some thought into writing a story..

We care more than the writers do but this sounds great and I really wish this is what we actually saw on screen.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

I was never a fan of Kim and Shane (couple wise) so I always wanted to see him get back together and stay with Gabriel Pascal. Always thought they had more chemistry together. 

Gabrielle was so forced and she never made any sense as Eve's mother and Shane's partner.  Emma should have been Eve's mother, it made sense that she was pregnant when she was kidnapped by the dragon. 

• Love 4

Hope and Aiden were just  okay . 

I dont think Aiden and Hope had that much chemistry to be honest. Their chemistry  didnt really set the world on fire .

And I kinda harbour a grudge against them because their relationship was built on trashing Bo . Whats worse is that Kayla actually condoned this . 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, tribeca said:

Abigail constantly battling with her mental illness is more relatable then Bens going away due to true love.   

I strangely agree and I never thought I would because it didn't suddenly go away. I do wish her illness wasn't her entire existence though. I mean Vicky on OLTL had instances where she wasn't a nutcase.

3 hours ago, Rafael said:

Hope and Aiden were just  okay . 

I dont think Aiden and Hope had that much chemistry to be honest. Their chemistry  didnt really set the world on fire .

And I kinda harbour a grudge against them because their relationship was built on trashing Bo . Whats worse is that Kayla actually condoned this . 

I didn't need it to be explosive chemistry I mean every couple is different. I think at that point in their lives Hope needed something more stable and solid. Plus Aiden wasn't afraid to stand up to her if needed either.  I felt like Hope overshadowed Rafe.. I felt Aiden was more her equal in comparison. Nobody is going to be on Bo/Hope's level but at least Aiden was a completely different person and not a Bo ripoff like Rafe.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Rafael said:

BUt all in all ,the time has come to kill her off .

The show can bring back Melissa Horton or Scott Banning to take her Horton spot on the canvas . 

There's no Horton spot to take over not with this show although between the two Scotty makes the most sense but he's a Horton male and they don't matter on this show.

I do agree that killing Hope off is the best option I mean I'd hate it for Doug/Julie(as I always loved her bond with them) but there's nothing left for Hope here(despite Shawn and Claire being around) they don't care about her beyond Bo never have.

• Love 2
On 11/23/2020 at 8:57 AM, Rafael said:

I think you may have hit on why I didn't give a rat's ass when Aiden/Hope imploded. If Bo had to be trashed to sell them, it wasn't worth it. Of course, Rafe was no better.

But doing that did not make me want Hope/Aiden.

• Love 5

I have two unpopular opinions that are closely connected:

1. Kayla Brady is by far my least favorite Brady sibling, and I genuinely hate everything to do with the Kayla Brady branch of the show: Stephanie, Joey, Steve, Tripp, Ava. I wasn't watching during Kayla's heyday in the 80's, but since her 2006 return, she's had nothing but horrific storylines. I also don't know if I truly understand the character anymore now than I did in 2006 - same for Steve who I see as an extension of Kayla. Personally, I wish the show would just ship off everyone connected to the Kayla branch of the show, and I hope they never return.

2. This brings me to my second unpopular opinion. It's time for the Brady siblings to be transitioned out of the show. Bo is dead. Josh Taylor is Roman and mostly serves people tea at the pub, Kim hasn't been a main character on the show since I've started watching in the early-mid 90s. (To be fair the recast blonde Kim was on the show, but I mainly remember her as a sounding board for Marlena. I don't think she had any storylines of her own). And I've already expressed my dislike of Kayla and everything connected to her. I understand they were huge in the 80s and 90s - and Bo and Wayne's Roman are two of my favorite Days characters - but I think, similar to Hope Brady, we've reached the end of the line with these icons.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 4evaQuez said:

1. Kayla Brady is by far my least favorite Brady sibling, and I genuinely hate everything to do with the Kayla Brady branch of the show: Stephanie, Joey, Steve, Tripp, Ava. I wasn't watching during Kayla's heyday in the 80's, but since her 2006 return, she's had nothing but horrific storylines. I also don't know if I truly understand the character anymore now than I did in 2006 - same for Steve who I see as an extension of Kayla. Personally, I wish the show would just ship off everyone connected to the Kayla branch of the show, and I hope they never return.

I love Kayla but you are correct that she has had awful storylines since her return in 2006.  Kayla is no longer as dynamic as she was in the 80's and that is due to the show no longer knowing how to write for a heroine like her.. They are obsessed with the likes of Kristen and Ava.  They are the "heroines" now whether we like it or not. It is why I have chosen to no longer watch the show..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I have two unpopular opinions that are closely connected:

2. This brings me to my second unpopular opinion. It's time for the Brady siblings to be transitioned out of the show. Bo is dead. Josh Taylor is Roman and mostly serves people tea at the pub, Kim hasn't been a main character on the show since I've started watching in the early-mid 90s. (To be fair the recast blonde Kim was on the show, but I mainly remember her as a sounding board for Marlena. I don't think she had any storylines of her own). And I've already expressed my dislike of Kayla and everything connected to her. I understand they were huge in the 80s and 90s - and Bo and Wayne's Roman are two of my favorite Days characters - but I think, similar to Hope Brady, we've reached the end of the line with these icons.

I actually think its time for #2 hard to believe but the Bradys didn't even exist until the 80s and that was after Marlena arrived and was with Roman it was after that did they give him his own family and the rest is history. Shawn/Caroline are gone. Roman should've been killed off back in the 90s.  Bo is gone. Kim has been MIA. This show has no clue how to write for Kayla and while I like her if she left I think it wouldn't change much tbh. The show only cares about the Blacks, Dimeras, and Kiriakises with a few Hortons thrown in. 

The only Brady this show cares about is Sami and she's a Dimera at this point so..

• Love 4

I agree that the writers have tarnished Kayla and Steve in recent years.  They were great in the '80s, but the more recent writers don't use them to their potential like many other characters.  One of the problems I have is when Kayla is tossed into the problems of her relatives and used to prop certain characters.  A few years ago it was Abigail, who she excused for having an affair with EJ while treating Sami like dirt.  Currently it's Allie, who she has no established on screen relationship with prior to this rape mess.  I get that the DNA is throwing everyone off, but since Kayla pointed out the other day that Tripp is denying even sleeping with Allie, it would be nice to have a heartfelt conversation between Kayla and Tripp where at the end of it they decide to work together as medical professionals to get to the bottom of why the DNA matches. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I agree that the writers have tarnished Kayla and Steve in recent years.  They were great in the '80s, but the more recent writers don't use them to their potential like many other characters.  One of the problems I have is when Kayla is tossed into the problems of her relatives and used to prop certain characters.  A few years ago it was Abigail, who she excused for having an affair with EJ while treating Sami like dirt.  Currently it's Allie, who she has no established on screen relationship with prior to this rape mess.  I get that the DNA is throwing everyone off, but since Kayla pointed out the other day that Tripp is denying even sleeping with Allie, it would be nice to have a heartfelt conversation between Kayla and Tripp where at the end of it they decide to work together as medical professionals to get to the bottom of why the DNA matches. 

This is something else that truly irritates me about Kayla. You already mentions Allie and Abby - though at least with Abby the show has been somewhat consistent in their interactions since. But, I was so annoyed a few weeks-months ago after Ciara was declared dead, and Kayla and Justin have a scene mourning Ciara. Justin tells Kayla how he can't imagine the pain Kayla is feeling of losing a loved one, but Kayla and Ciara had no on-screen relationship, as far as I can remember. Hell, Justin had a more established on-screen relationship with Ciara, and the show seemed to be forgetting that Ciara and Justin are cousins.

I feel the same with most of Kayla's relationships - Marlena and Jennifer being the two that stick out the most. The show tries to randomly show she has these great relationships with people, and it just feels false. The only time it worked for me was with Theresa, but the show seemed to drop that relationship for Theresa/Caroline and Eric, instead.

I know Kayla is a Brady and one of the major Brady siblings, but she just never seemed like she truly fit into canvas, and the show has been trying since 2006 - off and on - to make her fit.

• Love 2

Another problem is that TIIC dont actually utilise the character's actual history. 

After 2006 , she has been subjected to contrieved nonsense such as the existence of Tripp even though bringing Benjy's son ,Steven Hawk , would have made much more sense.

Then they decided to redo the Marina Yoscano thing with Ava . And then ofcourse she was Aiden /Hope's cheerleader and shockingly did little to defend Bo , her sibling /Best friend since Roman and Kim are BFFs while Bo and Kayla were BFFs . That was totally out of character. And yes the EJ/ABby /Sami debacle. 

Lets not forget that she alongside Julie /Marlena ,caught the eye of Stefano and Tony when the DiMeras first showed up . Did TIIC utilise that bit of history ? Nope . Didnt even bother. 

Just force her into other character's storylines for the purpose of propping selected characters and couples. 

Oh yes and when she accidentally revealed to JJ that Jack raped her. We all know that BS was written in order to trash Jack and prop up freaking Dr Daniel . 

.dont even recall Kayla even driving her own stories at all.  

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 3
On 12/11/2020 at 1:18 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

I actually think its time for #2 hard to believe but the Bradys didn't even exist until the 80s and that was after Marlena arrived and was with Roman it was after that did they give him his own family and the rest is history. Shawn/Caroline are gone. Roman should've been killed off back in the 90s.  Bo is gone. Kim has been MIA. This show has no clue how to write for Kayla and while I like her if she left I think it wouldn't change much tbh. The show only cares about the Blacks, Dimeras, and Kiriakises with a few Hortons thrown in. 

The only Brady this show cares about is Sami and she's a Dimera at this point so..

Yes ,Roman should have died durin the 1990s . Then the bandaged guy Kristen brought to the church to disrupt Marlena and John's wedding should have simply been Chris Kositchek after Kristen's goons mistook him for Roman. 

Corday has never ever given us a proper explanation as to why he saw the need to recast the role of Roman with Chris Kositchek and actually not even doing anything at all with Roman . It was the most pointless recast in the history of soapies  . What makes it extra dumb was the fact that Chris was Marlena 's male BFF and Roman's buddy and was already close to the Bradys anyway . So Chris hovering around the Bradys wouldnt have been out of place.

I think what needs to happen now is that Roman and Kayla should be bumbed off to recurring status so they can be the patriach /matriach of the Bradys. 

Then rejuvenate the Bradys with younger members such as Cassie Brady , Shawn D , Max Brady ,Stephanie Johnson and Chelsea Brady .

Hell ,bring back Dr  Colin Murphy as well .The Brady Black sheep. 

I liked him and thought it was short sighted to kill him off. He was far better than that dumpster fire ,Daniel Jonas. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 3

Shawn Christian should've been cast as Mike Horton not Daniel Jonas at least it would've solved a lot of problems.

There would be a Horton patriarch of some sorts.. another doctor, legacy character plus his pairings would've been a lot better story wise if he was Mike and not Daniel.

Instead of Daniel/Kate, Mike/Kate for obvious reasons would've been scandalous.. to see how Bill/Laura, Jennifer, Lucas etc would've reacted to that one.

Instead of Daniel/Chloe it could've been Mike/Chloe stealing his brother's wife a bit of a nod to history of Bill/Laura/Mickey and how Mike came to be in the first place. Plus add the fact that Craig/Nancy hate Mike they would really hate it if their daughter was involved with him. Mike being Parker's father and connected to Craig/Nancy could've driven stories. 

Mike could've been just as close to Maggie(instead of giving us that stupid egg story) because of Mickey who he considers his father anyways.

We also would've been spared Dannifer in the process. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Shawn Christian should've been cast as Mike Horton not Daniel Jonas at least it would've solved a lot of problems.

There would be a Horton patriarch of some sorts.. another doctor, legacy character plus his pairings would've been a lot better story wise if he was Mike and not Daniel.

Instead of Daniel/Kate, Mike/Kate for obvious reasons would've been scandalous.. to see how Bill/Laura, Jennifer, Lucas etc would've reacted to that one.

Instead of Daniel/Chloe it could've been Mike/Chloe stealing his brother's wife a bit of a nod to history of Bill/Laura/Mickey and how Mike came to be in the first place. Plus add the fact that Craig/Nancy hate Mike they would really hate it if their daughter was involved with him. Mike being Parker's father and connected to Craig/Nancy could've driven stories. 

Mike could've been just as close to Maggie(instead of giving us that stupid egg story) because of Mickey who he considers his father anyways.

Hell to the yes to everything you just wrote. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yeah ,If only Kevin Dobson that time was cast as Bill Horton instead of being cast as Mickey .

Mickey should have died back in 2004 when the Melaswen victims were escaping Melaswen with Mickey sacrificing himself to save either Alice or Hope or Maggie . Perhaps Mickey could have simply stowed away on Hope and Patrick's plane to go find Maggie instead of being stuck with that nonsensical Bonnie Lockhart . Plus actor John Clarke was about to retire at the same time Melaswen was about to take place. That would have been the perfect way for the character to go out. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 3

I like Ali. A common complaint about her is she is immature.  Her parents are Lumi. I adore them but they have never been mature 

New Claire does not seem like Belle and Shaun daughter. 
so far I am enjoying Ava.  She is a good actor. 
Little further back why did poor 90 year old Doug have to do all the thanksgiving day dishes all by himself.?

• Love 1

I don't think Kayla is completely wrong in her reaction to Tripp and Allie's situation. Allie's accusation is shaky on it's own, but Kayla did the DNA test herself which strengthens her claim considerably. Of course, we know that in Daysworld DNA tests mean very little with how often they get messed with and how the writers mess with scientific reality, but as a character in the show, Kayla doesn't know that. Also, people seem to gloss over the facts that a) Steve and Kayla didn't even meet Tripp until a few years ago so it's not like she's known him his whole life and b) just a couple of years ago he held a knife to her neck. Basically, she has a lot of reasons to distrust him and very few reasons to trust him. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, LaurainAZ said:

I don't think Kayla is completely wrong in her reaction to Tripp and Allie's situation. Allie's accusation is shaky on it's own, but Kayla did the DNA test herself which strengthens her claim considerably. Of course, we know that in Daysworld DNA tests mean very little with how often they get messed with and how the writers mess with scientific reality, but as a character in the show, Kayla doesn't know that. Also, people seem to gloss over the facts that a) Steve and Kayla didn't even meet Tripp until a few years ago so it's not like she's known him his whole life and b) just a couple of years ago he held a knife to her neck. Basically, she has a lot of reasons to distrust him and very few reasons to trust him. 

Don't forget Kayla was also raped and it does color how she is viewing this as well..

• Love 4

They even tried to recreate Sami with Chelsea Brady and Cassie Brady .

They even had Cassie being a bitch towards Belle and Mimi for no real reason and even dissing her own presumed mum ,Marlena ,"for getting around " for having 5 kids with 3 different men  despite the fact that she and Rex were forced on Marlena as her womb was just a vessel used to carry them . 

And also when chelsea was sami lite when she plotted to break up Bo and Hope and reunite Billie and Bo by intercepting Hope 's emails to Bo and replying back to Hope while posing as Bo and trashing Hope and telling her while posing as Bo to take a hike. This was after she had accidentally killed Zack  .

Edited by Rafael

That's better than what the show would come up with.

I think if Allie were in her teens I'd find her easier to take but she's a college graduate and acting like this is making her hard to take. Plus they're trying to make her seem like she's Sami 2.0 and she's not (I never needed her to be either) I don't have an issue with her hating Sami but they have done such a bad job at developing it she's rather unlikeable and I find myself taking Sami's side and I hate her. 

If they talked about how she resents Sami for favoring Johnny/Sydney over her because EJ is their father that would help a lot here but she supposedly hates Sami because.. reasons.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That's better than what the show would come up with.

I think if Allie were in her teens I'd find her easier to take but she's a college graduate and acting like this is making her hard to take. Plus they're trying to make her seem like she's Sami 2.0 and she's not (I never needed her to be either) I don't have an issue with her hating Sami but they have done such a bad job at developing it she's rather unlikeable and I find myself taking Sami's side and I hate her. 

If they talked about how she resents Sami for favoring Johnny/Sydney over her because EJ is their father that would help a lot here but she supposedly hates Sami because.. reasons.

This brings me to another unpopular opinion. While I truly used to love Samantha Gene Brady, and she made 90s Days of Our Lives for me, I think the character has damaged the show just as much as she is the face of it. I think the show is too dedicated in trying to make "The Next Sami." We saw this with Theresa's introduction - I still remember Sami outright saying Theresa was a younger version of herself before Sami's first departure from the show. They tried to make the recast Will "The Next Sami." And now they're trying to make Allie "The Next Sami."

Personally, I don't need a "Next Sami;" one was enough. I'd rather have compelling characters that are written true to their experiences and characterizations. And I know this is ReRon, but I'd rather their storylines develop in an organic way and not Allie trying to shoot her rapist because her mom did almost 3 decades ago, and the fact that Ron isn't even trying to hide his "inspiration" from earlier and better written storylines is revolting.

Again, I used to be a huge Sami fan, but I think the popularity of the character damaged a lot of once compelling characters - Carrie, Austin, Lucas and E.J. being 4 - that can't stand without her.

Another unpopular opinion maybe: I am okay with Allie having a terrible relationship with Sami. I've always thought Sami would make a terrible mother. She's selfish, impulsive, lacks empathy and strong communication skills, and prefers vengeance to resolution. I also disagree that Ron hasn't done a good job to establish the strained Allie/Sami dynamic. Although we didn't get a lot; the little we saw showed that similar to Marlena/Sami, neither one is a victim and neither is the sole villain in this struggling dynamic.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

This brings me to another unpopular opinion. While I truly used to love Samantha Gene Brady, and she made 90s Days of Our Lives for me, I think the character has damaged the show just as much as she is the face of it. I think the show is too dedicated in trying to make "The Next Sami." We saw this with Theresa's introduction - I still remember Sami outright saying Theresa was a younger version of herself before Sami's first departure from the show. They tried to make the recast Will "The Next Sami." And now they're trying to make Allie "The Next Sami."

Personally, I don't need a "Next Sami;" one was enough. I'd rather have compelling characters that are written true to their experiences and characterizations. And I know this is ReRon, but I'd rather their storylines develop in an organic way and not Allie trying to shoot her rapist because her mom did almost 3 decades ago, and the fact that Ron isn't even trying to hide his "inspiration" from earlier and better written storylines is revolting.

Again, I used to be a huge Sami fan, but I think the popularity of the character damaged a lot of once compelling characters - Carrie, Austin, Lucas and E.J. being 4 - that can't stand without her.

Another unpopular opinion maybe: I am okay with Allie having a terrible relationship with Sami. I've always thought Sami would make a terrible mother. She's selfish, impulsive, lacks empathy and strong communication skills, and prefers vengeance to resolution. I also disagree that Ron hasn't done a good job to establish the strained Allie/Sami dynamic. Although we didn't get a lot; the little we saw showed that similar to Marlena/Sami, neither one is a victim and neither is the sole villain in this struggling dynamic.

I agree I think Sami would suck as a mother tbh I just can't take Allie seriously when she wants to be the opposite of her mother yet repeats the same mistakes with no self awareness because as you pointed out they want to desperately create a Sami sequel and the only one that would come close was ORK's version of Claire.

I think EJ could've existed without Sami because I liked him and Nicole together but the show won't let him get past Sami. I even didn't mind him and KM's Abby at one point.

If they wanted a mother/daughter with issues where they were polar opposites Eve and Paige were written better than these two were. Marlena/Sami were better because at the time it was an original concept.. everything after that has been a retread and not true to the character experiences.  Plus we saw it develop in real time which I think helped a lot. With Allie she just showed up to town and hated Sami. Granted I understood her reasons(controlling, never listening etc) but the show keeps waffling between having her be Sami 2.0 or troubled daughter... I think Marlena calling her out about being bratty and Allie acknowledging it was the most I liked Allie since she arrived. Then after that it became about Rafe's feelings, her being raped and just went downhill.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3

Wasn’t Sami called the new Julie ?

any scheming trouble maker will be called the new Sami I guess.  

although I do think Allie likes Nicole she was a little over board with the love and it was to get back at her mom. 

My UO

is I enjoyed Gabi/Abigail feud. At least Abigail fought back.  Both Chad, Abigail and Jennifer are so dumb not to see thru Gwen.  

Jack needs something to do.  People in their sixties still have stories to tell and should not just be put on the back ground. 

• Love 2

Why does every new character have to be the new Sami? It never works in the long run,,  We do need a bad girl but why can't she have her own journey on the show that is not connected to Sami Brady.. It is just lazy to make everybody the new Sami. Plus, Sami did not come out the gate as a hellion.  

• Love 4

The show is lazy(all soap writers are) they rather repeat the same stories as before but change the character's names and act like this is a brand new story when its not. 

Theresa could've been a bad girl because of having to deal with an unstable mom in Kim along with Shane being more of a father figure to Stephanie than her(if they want to remind us of Shane/Kayla)

Claire's story could've been having to deal with Shelle's unstable relationship and Belle cheating on her dad... (that would probably be a Sami ripoff more than anyone tbh) 

They could've used the history of these characters as to how they got to that point.

Eve was trouble but I got how she turned out that way.

• Love 4