Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That could've worked or Mike Horton, except for Dannifer all the stories Daniel had could've easily had Mike instead.

I loved the old Mike Horton! And his relationship with kid sister Jenn was sweet, too. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

Oh of course, Michael T. Weiss. There is no other Mike Horton in my world, lol. 

He is a leading man for sure. The show would receive a massive boost if he decided to return as Mike. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Rafael said:

Marlena, while a beloved heroine, was selfish and quite honestly a bad mother. 

A thousand times yes.

I mean she was better with Belle but she was the only child of hers that she raised from birth and was able to make up for past mistakes with the twins, Sami especially.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Rafael said:

Marlena, while a beloved heroine, was selfish and quite honestly a bad mother. 

The one time that Marlena was selfish by giving in to her feelings for John, she lost her daughter.  I never saw her as a bad mother, people forget that Marlena was kidnapped when the twins were 2 years old and her bond with them was severed in ways that would be hard to repair.  When she came back to the twins they were 7 about to be 8 and they had bonded to Isabella as their mother and before her it was Diana.  Not to mention, the twins did not want to leave John to go back to her and Roman. It always made sense to me that Marlena would have had problems with the twins, she missed that critical period in their lives growing with John as Roman. She even told Roman in Mexico that there would be problems in the future and they had to prepare for the eventual conflicts. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Rafael said:

Rafe could have been a potentially good leading character if not for Galen Gering, who's never going to be a lead actor no matter how hard they try. 

Wasn't he a leading character in Passions?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Wasn't he a leading character in Passions?

His character on Passion was just as dumb as Rafe, but he wasn't an arrogant asshole and sometimes could be charming.

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought Daniel and Kristen were hot together,even though their hookup was brief . I wouldnt have minded them to be honest . plus characterwise , he was age-appropriate for Kristen unlike Brady. instead of Brady being the resident idiot who go himself in the claws of a lunatic like Kristen it would have been Daniel instead with Maggie enlisting Marlena's help to get Kristen out of Daniel's life . Instead of that whole Bo /Carly debacle, Daniel should have been Carly's BF with no prior history and Melanie being Lawrence and Carly's daughter . we would never have gotten that debacle and the dannifer debacle . Then Daniel cheats on Carly with pregnant Nicole and then he transitions to Kristen . If I had it my way , that horrific Chelsea /Daniel pairing would have never happened and daniel would have simply been dating Julie Pinson's Billie . SC and Eileen had good chemistry to be honest.

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Rafael said:

I thought Daniel and Kristen were hot together,even though their hookup was brief . I wouldnt have minded them to be honest . plus characterwise , he was age-appropriate for Kristen unlike Brady. instead of Brady being the resident idiot who go himself in the claws of a lunatic like Kristen it would have been Daniel instead with Maggie enlisting Marlena's help to get Kristen out of Daniel's life . Instead of that whole Bo /Carly debacle, Daniel should have been Carly's BF with no prior history and Melanie being Lawrence and Carly's daughter . we would never have gotten that debacle and the dannifer debacle . Then Daniel cheats on Carly with pregnant Nicole and then he transitions to Kristen . If I had it my way , that horrific Chelsea /Daniel pairing would have never happened and daniel would have simply been dating Julie Pinson's Billie .

This would've been a lot better or instead of SC being Daniel he could've easily been Mike Horton with the same storyline.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I mean...that would have put a whole new groundbreaking twist on his relationship with Jennifer.

I think Days did a similar storyline way back when with the Hortons Marie and Tommy?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I think Days did a similar storyline way back when with the Hortons Marie and Tommy?

Yeah, but (and I got the gist from magazines and such as this was before my time!) apparently, Tommy was hurt in Vietnam and had plastic surgery or whatever, and I think he had memory loss.

So Marie did not recognize her brother and he didn't remember her. When he did and Marie realized who he was, it mortified her so much that she became a nun. (Which I think stuck?) I do recall seeing the premiere of this show when Soapnet ran it on one of Days' anniversaries, and it featured Marie engaged to someone else. No clue what happened there.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, tribeca said:

Sometimes I find Jack to be very weird.  

I know what you mean. Like his reactions are off? He reactions too much sometimes or blurts weird shit? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Here are some unpopular opinions 

Ciara and Ben not my favorite but 

their wedding 

Ciara will look gorgeous in a wedding dress.    Ben should ask Rafe to be his best man. Yes the age difference I know.  However Rafe raised Bens nephew and let him visit him. Rafe has been pretty kind to Ben and has a history with Ciara.  

I know I have kept it a secret that I love Eric and Eric & Nicole.  Although it was nice to see them act as a team  wasn’t really liking some of Nicole’s acting choices when talking about Sami    
also I don’t think Ali was more buttering her up with praise since she needed a place to stay     

• Love 2
(edited)

2 hours ago, tribeca said:

Ben should ask Rafe to be his best man. Yes the age difference I know.  However Rafe raised Bens nephew and let him visit him. Rafe has been pretty kind to Ben and has a history with Ciara.  

I actually agree and this is coming from someone who can't stand Rafe lol I THINK Rafe will walk Ciara down the aisle though so maybe he's being given one good.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 2
(edited)

Since we've been asked to move the 'ships from Current Discussion to this thread, here are my opinions on the various 'ships.  This list is heavy on 'ships of the 80s and 90s, but still isn't all-inclusive:

Bo/Hope:  I first watched DOOL back in the early 1980s when the show was first starting the Bo & Hope, so this will always be my fave pairing for each of them. That said, I didn't mind Hope with what's-his-name, whose son Chase raped Ciara. I felt Hope had good chemistry with the actor/character.  As for Bo, I've never really felt his chemistry with anyone besides Hope (yes, even Carly was meh for me).

Carly/Lawrence:  I know they weren't a couple in the traditional sense, but hooooboy!  the chemistry between the actors was scorching H-O-T!  It's only years after both left the show that I found out the actors were married IRL. I'm going to memory wipe that Carly ever met Dr. Dan, or gave birth to their spawn Melanie.

Jack/Jen:  my OTP - my fave DOOL 'ship EVER. My fervor for this couple isn't what it once was, given all the times MA was off the show and the stupid ass storylines this couple had when MA did return. I will mindwipe Jack ever having a sexual relationship with Jen's mom. Bletch!  At least that was Mark Valley Jack, rather than MA Jack - who is the only "real" Jack IMO.

Roman/Marlena/John:  Neutral - I truly didn't care for any of these characters' various relationships (Roman/Kate; John/Izzy B.;  John/Marlena, etc. etc. - just don't care).

Shane/Kimberly:  only chemistry I ever saw was between these two characters, esp. when Kim was portrayed by Patsy Pease. I will mindwipe Shane & Kayla. Never happened - lalalalalala.

Sami/Lucas:  even given each characters' faults and their fraught relationship, I've always felt this was the best pairing for both characters.  Can't get on board with EJ/Sami because, well, he raped her!!!  

Nicole/EJ:  the two actors had the best chemistry with each other compared to any of their other pairings

Kayla/Justin:   I was always neutral on Steve/Kayla (neither loved nor hated them). I'm not saying there's smoking chemistry between Kayla & Justin, but the Kayla/Steve pairing has been eviscerated to the point I just want Kayla to have another love. [Also, in all the times Steve's been off the show, he's had numerous other relationships, while Kayla - except for Shane - had to remain some virginal nun awaiting her true love. 'Eff that!]

ETA:  it's weird but I felt that SN & MBE had more chemistry when both were on General Hospital...?  Did anyone else feel this way?

Mike/Robin:  I felt this relationship had the most depth because of Robin's Jewish heritage. I liked that her religion was a talking point, but not enough to derail this relationship. I vaguely recall her uncle was introduced as a Holocaust survivor, and that made for a powerful storyline. That said, I felt a smidge of chemistry between Mike (Roarke version) & Carrie (Christie version).

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 1

I agree on Bope, J&J, Carly/Lawrence and Shim.

I also liked Aiden/Hope together and think ruining him and Chase ended up ruining Hope and Ciara more in the long run. Neither character has been the same since.

I think I hate Lucas more than any character on Days. I don't think the actor is very good and I never wanted him near Sami. She didn't need to carry out any of her schemes and plans, but he sure as hell needed her to get anything done. Although they were scheming together in the first couple of years, Sami would lead and he would follow.

Multiple times he went after Carrie and when finally realized that he love Sami, he kept allowing his mother to come in between him and Sami even when Sami was not at fault. 

He has encouraged her body image issues when they were kids (suggesting she needed to lose weight to be attractive),  smacked her across the face, went along with Kate's plan to frame her for Franco's mother, again assisted Kate's attempt to lure Sami to her death, and drove while intoxicated where Will was injured and required brain surgery.

Granted a lot of this happened during the first decade that they knew each, but since I hate Lucas, I didn't care one bit when he finally realized that he loved Sami and started to be nice to her. Plus I find him to be nails on chalkboard when he says baby or honey or sweetie or uses baby talk when talking with children.

Blech.

(edited)

I do agree that Lucas was more Sami's minion than co-conspirator and that Lumi as a couple were terrible. Mostly because I think they were better as friends/co-parents than a couple and she was never that into him IMO.  Plus its the good guy/bad girl trope on this show I don't care for where good guy falls for bad girl then acts all shocked when she does bad things and she has to beg for him to love her again. In Lucas's case it was worse because he was bad right along with her.  He never truly accepted her in that regard. 

That being said I still prefer him over Sami who I always hated.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Carly/Lawrence:  I know they weren't a couple in the traditional sense, but hooooboy!  the chemistry between the actors was scorching H-O-T!  It's only years after both left the show that I found out the actors were married IRL. I'm going to memory wipe that Carly ever met Dr. Dan, or gave birth to their spawn Melanie.

If I was the headwriter ,one of the first few things on my -to-do list is to undo Taniel being Melanie's father . Just reveal Melanie is Carly and Lawrence's daughter afterall. 

• Love 1

See ,what did I tell you guys . The garbage orpheus family saga would be a plotdriven mess and a waste of time. So they revived Orpheus just so he could go to prison ? What an utter waste. 

We have been calling for the Orpheus family to be a new family in Salem since the early 2010s .

We never said we wanted Orpheus himself as the patriach  .

Besides the opportunity to present this family with age appropriate actors has long passed . The actors who would have been suited to the role of Orpheus's son and daughter were shockingly wasted and cast as forgotten lame ducks like Madison James and Vivian's BS contrieved son ,Quinn Hudson. 

Brent Foster and Sarah Brown were absolutely perfect casting choices for the roles of Orpheus's son and daughter . Hell ,Brent could easily pass for George Del Hoyo's son . 

How's this for an unpopular opinion? I think Orpheus could have been Hope's next love interest. Hear me out. In rescuing John and Marlena, Hope gravely injures Orpheus, leaving him paralzed, with memory loss and seeming vulnerable. Hope feels so guilty she takes responsibility for his care, eventually taking him in. They grow closer, as they commiserate over guilt over past misdeeds. The rest of the town thinks she's nuts... Later, does his memory return?

At this point I actually wouldn't hate that for Hope because on paper that sounds interesting. However I can't picture them together romantically and even if I did knowing this show if they were popular Orpheus would be watered down and the potential drama of this pairing would be neutered.

• Love 2
On 11/21/2019 at 11:50 PM, Rafael said:

[snip]

Instead if Deimos ,they should have brought back Larry Welch  to terrorise Victor and his family . I wrote about this on the bitterness thread . 

[snip]

Holy smokes!  Now that name is a blast from the past!

I seriously wish DOOL wouldn't keep revisiting Stefano Dimera because he's a worn out villain waaaay past his prime. Since I'm wishing, I also wish the Bold & the Beautiful would stop maintaining the fiction that Sally Spectra is still alive if they won't recast Darlene Conley. Such a disgrace to the actress who's been dead for years.

• Love 3
On 12/20/2019 at 9:51 PM, Rafael said:

Im glAd Chloe got killed off. 

Atlast the character has been granted a quick mercy -kill death . 

And its about damn time becausE anybody with an elementary knowledge of the character knows that the Chloe who returned to salem circa 2007 is not Chloe. 

Dena Higley and subsequent Writers ruined the character beyond repair . They even made her and Nicole BFFs even though Nicole deliberately ssbotaged her facial recOnstruction surgery which resulted in chloe's face covered by hideous scars.  

And out of nowhere ,She became a hooker thanks to Kate. All chloe had to do was to tell her parents or Brady and Philip and Kate's blackmail game would have been over pretty quickly. 

What is even more disgusting is the fact that they Treat her marriege to Brady like its an afterthought . They act as if they were married for one night after a quick Las Vegas wedding .

They even have the nerve to forget the trials and tribulations they both faced together like when they were seArching for chloe's father , chloe's lieukemia , Chloe's facial scars ,Nicole and Philip . On top of that they were both loners angry with the world who discovered a mutual passion for music . 

Chloe should be the love of Brady's life and vice versa. 

Not  Daniel being the Love of her life.

IT Is sicKening  that she got killed off on the spinoff show instead of the main show. She has been part of this show since 1999 . 

PREACH!  I've always felt the best pairing for Brady and Chloe was with each other. I hated that when the characters returned to Salem, that was the start of substance abuse Brady, and it was inferred that being with Chloe was what led Brady down that path.  [I think there was some throwaway line about how it wasn't Chloe's fault, but still...I got the impression I was supposed to believe it was really her fault].

And finally...what?!?!?  I didn't realize they killed off the character! But then again, this is Salem, where people can return from the dead like it's no biggie.  So maybe Chloe (with NB's pretty, pretty eyes) can return some day.

• Love 2
On 6/18/2020 at 5:07 PM, norcalgal said:

I think they were a couple in the traditional sense.  They were DOOL's gothic couple at the time. It's just that we didn't get much time seeing them as such.  They were a couple in the flashbacks.  And they went off together at the end. (I didn't see Carly's return so I'm going to Rolf-mind-erase it.)

They're my fave DOOL couple next to J&J.

• Love 2
On 6/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, ajs1615 said:

How's this for an unpopular opinion? I think Orpheus could have been Hope's next love interest. Hear me out. In rescuing John and Marlena, Hope gravely injures Orpheus, leaving him paralzed, with memory loss and seeming vulnerable. Hope feels so guilty she takes responsibility for his care, eventually taking him in. They grow closer, as they commiserate over guilt over past misdeeds. The rest of the town thinks she's nuts... Later, does his memory return?

Absolutely not !!! Hell no !!!

• LOL 1
On 4/25/2020 at 8:56 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

BB would've made a good Nicky Alamain too late for that now though.

Waaaay late to this, but I liked Victor Webster just fine as grown up Nicky. He looked like he was in fact the adult version of Erik Von Detten who portrayed young Nicholas. Doubtful Victor Webster would return as he's busy acting in all those Hallmark shows.

• Love 2
On 6/20/2020 at 6:29 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think they were a couple in the traditional sense.  They were DOOL's gothic couple at the time. It's just that we didn't get much time seeing them as such.  They were a couple in the flashbacks.  And they went off together at the end. (I didn't see Carly's return so I'm going to Rolf-mind-erase it.)

They're my fave DOOL couple next to J&J.

I guess if one views Lawrence/Carly as a gothic couple, then they were a couple. But even in the flashbacks, he was pretending to be "James" so I don't count their time in Paris as a couple. I so, so, so wish we could have seen them as Lawrence and Carly/Katerina on the show like a "regular" couple. I quickly tuned out when Carly returned because I was PISSED they turned Lawrence into a raging, abusive monster and had Carly kill him!!!  Puh-lease - no way, no how would Lawrence physically abuse his beloved Katerina. [I liked that choice by the actor? writer? that Lawrence was the only one who called her Katerina because that made it something special between them, even though she went by Carly by choice to disavow her heritage/past].

Anyhoo, to make a long post short - J&J are my all time fave DOOL "traditional" couple while Carly/Lawrence are my all time fave "untypical" couple.

P.S.  I don't usually pry into the private life of celebrities, so I choose not to look them up on social media/Internet, but if CC & Michael Sabatino are now divorced, please don't tell me that. I like to think they're still happily in love/married these many years later.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

P.S.  I don't usually pry into the private life of celebrities, so I choose not to look them up on social media/Internet, but if CC & Michael Sabatino are now divorced, please don't tell me that. I like to think they're still happily in love/married these many years later.

It is all good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I guess if one views Lawrence/Carly as a gothic couple, then they were a couple. But even in the flashbacks, he was pretending to be "James" so I don't count their time in Paris as a couple. I so, so, so wish we could have seen them as Lawrence and Carly/Katerina on the show like a "regular" couple. I quickly tuned out when Carly returned because I was PISSED they turned Lawrence into a raging, abusive monster and had Carly kill him!!!  Puh-lease - no way, no how would Lawrence physically abuse his beloved Katerina. [I liked that choice by the actor? writer? that Lawrence was the only one who called her Katerina because that made it something special between them, even though she went by Carly by choice to disavow her heritage/past].

Anyhoo, to make a long post short - J&J are my all time fave DOOL "traditional" couple while Carly/Lawrence are my all time fave "untypical" couple.

I also preferred that Lawrence called her Katerina as well as I think that name suited her more than Carly did. I don't think Lawrence would abuse her either at least physically despite the terrible things he has done in the past.

That being said him being killed off was the best ending for the character it should've been Jennifer that killed him though. Plus I shudder to think what would've happened to him had he stuck around he would've been far worse or outsmarted by Rafe of all people. 

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3

I don't usually pry into the private life of celebrities, so I choose not to look them up on social media/Internet, but if CC & Michael Sabatino are now divorced, please don't tell me that. I like to think they're still happily in love/married these many years later.

Still together! And their oldest son just got married!

• Love 5
(edited)
45 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I also preferred that Lawrence called her Katerina as well as I think that name suited her more than Carly did. I don't think Lawrence would abuse her either at least physically despite the terrible things he has done in the past.

That being said him being killed off was the best ending for the character it should've been Jennifer that killed him though. Plus I shudder to think what would've happened to him had he stuck around he would've been far worse or outsmarted by Rafe of all people. 

I wish that Carly had started bad and in cahoots with Lawrence to bilk Bo out of Hope's money but ended up falling for him..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3

Which makes me feel old as I remember when he was born a good 20 years ago.

I'm with you there!!

So unpopular opinions:

Never liked Bo/Hope. I think largely because I don't think KA can act at all.

Huge Bo/Carly fan. Nope for me with Carly and Lawrence.

John and Marlena? Nope. I much preferred John and Isabella

EJ and Sami? Nope I actually liked EJ and Nicole.

And of course my big one: I rather liked Shane and Kayla. I couldn't stand the actress who played Kim - watching her annoyed me to no end. On the other hand, I love MBE. I thought MBE and CS managed some chemistry and I liked their dynamic. And as a plus, Shane was free of Kim.

• Love 1