Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, glowlights said:

How's this for a UO: I am on board for a change in Victor's character to make him less focused on stupid business rivalries and more focused on enjoying life. Mainly because EB seems to be at his best when interacting with children and animals. YOUGOTTHAT?

I'm actually fully on board with this. Most classic soaps usually saw that, over time, the movers and shakers eventually settled down and began acting in a supportive yet viable role. That doesn't mean keeping a ninety year old lady on contract just to pull her out once a year to be a prop* but it's been long time that Victor stopped being the driving force to which GC revolves around. And it's time Jack has some business acumen that doesn't involve taking Victor down, which it appears to be happening. 

*Man, the old school soap actors as a whole were a long lived, active bunch. Joe Mascolo was taping up till a few months before he passed on using cue cards, Jeanne Cooper pushed on though her declining health and I read somewhere that Helen Wagner (the world record holder for time spent portraying the same TV role BTW!) was taping a scene a few days before her passing in 2010 and complaining that she could easily do more if the writers ever gave her anything! I don't know if it was true, but damn that's ballsy if it was!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

There is no way Victor will ever be tolerable to me, so youhaveagooddaynow, 'k?

Oh, I dunno, I think I could really, really enjoy him in a very brief, very final scene of Victor strolling in front of Rexx Rugs, Phyllis behind the wheel of the oncoming car, Jack on the sidewalk ready to PUSH Vampire Pere in the street as she tries to parallel park, over and over and over and OVER again.

I'd probably watch that sort of scene again and again.

I'm a sucker for romance.

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, boes said:

Oh, I dunno, I think I could really, really enjoy him in a very brief, very final scene of Victor strolling in front of Rexx Rugs, Phyllis behind the wheel of the oncoming car, Jack on the sidewalk ready to PUSH Vampire Pere in the street as she tries to parallel park, over and over and over and OVER again.

I'd probably watch that sort of scene again and again.

I'm a sucker for romance.

Awwwwwww ?❤

:p

Yeah, I'd prefer if Victor was permanently gone from the show. But since he's not leaving till Braeden does, they gotta do the best they can.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

Awwwwwww ?❤

:p

Yeah, I'd prefer if Victor was permanently gone from the show. But since he's not leaving till Braeden does, they gotta do the best they can.

You know, as much as I despise Victor and I do (if he only had shades of, say, Adam Chandler but Victor has no layers), ButtBiscuit is harder for me to put up with.  He's the character I can't bear to watch under any circumstances these days.   Show trying to dial back the horror that is Victor is bad enough, but trying yet one more reboot of the Jason Thompson abomination is too much, much too much.  

• Love 7

Fair enough. The guy is an even bigger bust in the role than David Tom was. I still think of the three recasts, TPTB didn't even try to make him work and he got dumped for Orange Billy way too fast. I won't say Orange Billy was great, but at least he could act and tried to bring a maturity into the role that JT either lacks or the hacks don't bother writing for.

im fine with Billy taking a vacation for a while and maybe TPTB bringing Scotty onboard to round out the 30 to 40 lot.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, boes said:

Jason Thompson abomination is too much, much too much.

I really wish he had been cast as Adam Newman. His dark looks and constant edgy anger are a better fit for Adam than Billy. Billy was a wiseass screw up. JT veers too much into petulant asshole which Adam could be. JT could still battle Victor but I think he could play the longing for love/acceptance mixed with everlasting suspicion with Victor. AND I'd enjoy his being a jackass to Nick and needling Victoria in a non-romantic, battling sibling way.

Victor was best to me when he has a brain injury/epilepsy and was BFFs with Jack. Served his ass right thinking he could take on a car jacker at his age and getting his butt handed to him by a car door that caused a personality change for the better.  I adored his doddering mood swings and him and Jack getting along and him playing with his puppy Zapato. Good times.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, boes said:

You know, as much as I despise Victor and I do (if he only had shades of, say, Adam Chandler but Victor has no layers), ButtBiscuit is harder for me to put up with.  He's the character I can't bear to watch under any circumstances these days.   Show trying to dial back the horror that is Victor is bad enough, but trying yet one more reboot of the Jason Thompson abomination is too much, much too much.  

yeah, no comparison. EB is at least Y&R and bears residue of a better time. ButtBiscuit needs to go the fuck away. He is awkward, a lousy one note actor and he will never be an Abbott. Never. Ever. 

Ever.

• Love 13

JT's Billy looks like a Newman. I mean, he'd be totally believable as Victor's son, and his selfish, spiteful, holier than thou behavior fits into the Newman trash bag quite well. Granted, Victor lacks the cavernous nostrils to vent his sulphuric miasma through, but sometimes these things skip generations, like Nick's engorged red buttcheeks of primate passion. 

I like the cut of your jib, boes. Wouldn't it be great if the very last scene of Y&R was a lonely Victor walking through the Rexx Rugs parking lot as headlights bear down on him. He looks up at the last moment - and fade to black. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

JT's Billy looks like a Newman. I mean, he'd be totally believable as Victor's son, and his selfish, spiteful, holier than thou behavior fits into the Newman trash bag quite well. Granted, Victor lacks the cavernous nostrils to vent his sulphuric miasma through, but sometimes these things skip generations, like Nick's engorged red buttcheeks of primate passion. 

I like the cut of your jib, boes. Wouldn't it be great if the very last scene of Y&R was a lonely Victor walking through the Rexx Rugs parking lot as headlights bear down on him. He looks up at the last moment - and fade to black. 

I would pay good money to see that.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Granted, Victor lacks the cavernous nostrils to vent his sulphuric miasma through, but sometimes these things skip generations, like Nick's engorged red buttcheeks of primate passion. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Love 6

Judith Chapman is exhausting me.  I'm already ff-ing.  Everything is hurricane force.  And it can't always be hurricane force.  Didn't enjoy Gloria then, tiring of her now.  Though I give credit for the device.... Gloria's a good add to the Fenmore's story and she's moving the plot along.  But Judith Chapman requires me to take Gravol.  I will hate her as much as most of your hate JT, by March at this rate.

• Love 4
On 12/19/2016 at 5:39 PM, boes said:

Or like when she refers to Nick as a "great Dad" when she's clearly trying to say "banana-scratching blowhole".

OMG - catching up after being away and BOES, that is the single funniest damn thing I have ever read on this board.  Funny and damned smart!  XOXOXOXO

• Love 5

Judith Chapman is exhausting me.  I'm already ff-ing.  Everything is hurricane force.  And it can't always be hurricane force.  Didn't enjoy Gloria then, tiring of her now.  Though I give credit for the device.... Gloria's a good add to the Fenmore's story and she's moving the plot along.  But Judith Chapman requires me to take Gravol.  I will hate her as much as most of your hate JT, by March at this rate.

I agree SO MUCH. I cannot stand her. I have started FF'ing her already too. 

UO I am not enjoying Sally's writing.. pretty weak

• Love 1
9 hours ago, glowlights said:

Hell has frozen over (put on some sleeves!), because I enjoyed Billy's scene in the coffee shop with Victoria's drippy teenage son. What is happening?

Hell has indeed frozen over...*ducking* overall I'm liking Billy.

• Love 4

I don't hate Billy, but this characterization is really not Billy.  I felt the same way about Burgess Jenkins as Billy.  Though this Billy is way more annoying.

It's the way he has acted toward Jack that is completely not believable.  Even his interactions with Jill.  RealBilly sparred with Jill, but it was somewhat affectionate.  With notBilly, it seems harsh, although he seems to be softening of late.  I think the new writers are trying to fix notBilly, but until he apologizes, without any snark whatsoever,  to Jack, he will always be notBilly.  To me at least.

Now, I do hate loathe detest and abhor Pricktor!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, marina to said:

I totally forgot about HotBilly! I'd totally swap JT for the Burgess Jenkins eye candy right now. Plus, he actually had chemistry with AH.

So would I.  It's not Billy I dislike - loved him when Billy Miller had the role, quite liked him with Burgess Jenkins in the spot even though he did seem a bit too old for the role, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Jason Thompson.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

Burgess Jenkins reminded me waaaaaaaay too much of Jack Wagner, who was another actor that looked way too old for the role he was in.

Yet he thought he looked WAY too young to have an early-20s son!

• Love 2

We don't have a thread for Opinions that Could Get You Killed, so I am putting it here... today I was watching Jason Thompson and, recalling how often one hears 'he doesn't look like an Abbott!" I thought he actually did look like he combined some of John Abbott's features with Jill's colouring. 

(O -, if anyone finds me in time and takes pity.) 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Big Blue Plate said:

We don't have a thread for Opinions that Could Get You Killed, so I am putting it here... today I was watching Jason Thompson and, recalling how often one hears 'he doesn't look like an Abbott!" I thought he actually did look like he combined some of John Abbott's features with Jill's colouring. 

(O -, if anyone finds me in time and takes pity.) 

Remember:  Face. Arm. Speech. Time. :)

• Love 2

I was looking forward to Gloria returning but alas, she's so over the top with the bug eyes and mainupulations to get a job, force one of her sons into giving her a place to live, Jack, etc. I know this is supposed to be her persona but holy, moly- she is just too hard to take for me. Calm her down, please.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Big Blue Plate said:

I agree it can be boring... but then again classic Y&R was actually not infrequently boring... Bill Bell could drag out a storyline like no one else in daytime.  

I will say it is as least far less infuriating. 

I have rarely been able to find full episodes for Y&R, but I have for B&B. If Y&R was anything like the first season of that, Bell had a good balance of when and how to have a story or characters overlap. The one truly dud story I saw from B&B season one was maybe the focus of two episodes a week tops and there were weeks when it wouldn't be discussed, and then "oh yeah, that's a thing. Thank God I have YouTube to FF that."

I'd like to think Bell wasn't focusing weeks on whatever the 1980s equivalent of Mariah's fall would have been. 

• Love 2

Oh, he did.  I can remember some storylines of old dragging out forever.  I remember the Lindsay Wells/Jack and Jill photos story just going way too long... Bell loved to fake his audience out... stage things like the big reveal was coming and then call it off... Lucy, Charlie Brown and the football. The thing was he always seemed to do just one too many and by the time he actually revealed you were kind of relieved it was over rather than as excited.  I think he might have dragged the Cassandra Rawlins thing out a little too long too.  But that's my memory of it.  Others may have found his style very satisfying.   (He was also fond of the murderous fantasy, which was fun but much briefer... you saw one character kill the other as if it was for reals and then dissolved out of it... Jill and Chancellor killed each other A LOT during the Dickson years, especially.)  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lithogirl said:

I think Sally's Y&R is beyond boring. 

I don't find it boring, but what IS annoying me is all the comments about (I mean comments from the characters)/flashbacks from the past.  Yes, we get it, new regime, you respect the show's past, but you don't need to beat us over the head with it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Big Blue Plate said:

It never bothers me that he doesn't look like his siblings; he's a half-sibling who favors his mother.  That kind of thing happens in real life all the time. Hell, some siblings who all have the same parents don't look much alike.

28 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I was looking forward to Gloria returning but alas, she's so over the top with the bug eyes and mainupulations to get a job, force one of her sons into giving her a place to live, Jack, etc. I know this is supposed to be her persona but holy, moly- she is just too hard to take for me. Calm her down, please.

She and Sharon would be a force to be reckoned with! 

If I like an actor, 9.9 times out of 10 I'll like the character they play, and that's how I am with Judith Chapman.  She was so cute with how excited she is to be back I don't think anything Gloria does can annoy me :)

• Love 5

I thought she was just going to be a Christmas Drive By, not hives.

But I actually like Judith Chapman... I've seen her in other stuff and she's good... why she's electing to play Gloria like an electric drill in a category five storm is beyond me.  Maybe it's her cardio.

• Love 5

Bill Bell's show could really really really drag. A conversation would go on -- no exaggeration -- for five episodes. They just kept returning to it, gods. And they would do that thing where they'd recap what had been happening in the storyline, so you could jump in after a few days away and catch up. "After you lied to your father and he and I argued while you watched and said nothing and then he stormed off and you and I had it out...blah blah" stuff that no one would repeat to the person who had actually experienced it. It was an old-school device. Not needed in the modern era of recaps and the interwebs. That pacing will not work now. I believe Sally knows that. The issue I think is that she's establishing character and motivation and nothing is really moving storywise. Once it's up and running I would hope some stories would be hitting their climax while others are building and slow. Bell used to do that pretty nicely. 

It just feels way early to judge her IMO. Though I agree it's boring certain days.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I don't find it boring, but what IS annoying me is all the comments about (I mean comments from the characters)/flashbacks from the past.  Yes, we get it, new regime, you respect the show's past, but you don't need to beat us over the head with it.

I do think that's gonna go away sooner than later. As mentioned, most of the characters have been so isolated in their stories. I doubt anyone who turned in during the 2010s would know about Paul and Lauren being married, or that they even knew each other at all. Hell I was watching in real time and even *I* had forgotten!

They gotta establish and re-establish some non boning relationships on Show.

• Love 5

I think coming in immediately after Pratt is hurting SSA. He was awful but at least stuff was happening and happening often. To go from that to SSA's attempt at re-establishing the show is jarring. Also, compared to the Bill Bell era, if you're not engaged with the show you can easily change the channel or turn on your computer and find something else to watch.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

They gotta establish and re-establish some non boning relationships on Show.

Intentional, typo, or Freudian slip? :)

5 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

I think coming in immediately after Pratt is hurting SSA. He was awful but at least stuff was happening and happening often. To go from that to SSA's attempt at re-establishing the show is jarring.

I wonder if they did some research and found out that they were losing more long-time viewers than they were gaining new viewers, so they're now giving the established viewers what they want.

• Love 6

Definitely intentional @ByTor :p It's been a ship driven show for so long...too long. As was mentioned ages ago the first time Nick and Phyllis shared a scene when Sally took over, we've all gotten see to seeing people cross paths for the sole purpose of screwing that's it'll take some time to see an interaction as just an interaction.

• Love 6

Nick and Phyllis are a good example of what I'm liking lately.  I like that they're actually interacting as adults who share a daughter.  With the former regime, if I weren't watching back in the "Phick" days, I'd have no idea that Phyllis & Nick even knew each other.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 9
(edited)

I have zero use for Ashley and frequently wish for her to be stabbed.

Jack (when he isn't going after Victor and acting like a fool with no poker face) and Billy (before the succession of recasts) are the only two Abbots I find at all engaging or interesting. The rest of them might as well be wallpaper to me. *

The one exception is Kyle. I did kinda like him when Blake Hood was in the role. 

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Nick and Phyllis are a good example of what I'm liking lately.  I like that they're actually interacting as adults who share a daughter.  With the former regime, if I weren't watching back in the "Phick" days, I'd have no idea that Phyllis & Nick even knew each other.

i think phick are/were loathsome so i liked it when they were ignored...

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

i think phick are/were loathsome so i liked it when they were ignored...

I thought they were loathsome during their "we're so sexay and look how cute we are when we behave like adolescents playing video games" days, so I like the fact that they're acting like normal people (well, as normal as soap people can be).  IMO it was unrealistic the way they were completely out of each other's orbits.

8 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

The one exception is Kyle. I did kinda like him when Blake Hood was in the role. 

BIG UO time...I liked Hartley Sawyer best and thought he was really cute :)

sawyer_hartley.jpg

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ByTor said:

It never bothers me that he doesn't look like his siblings; he's a half-sibling who favors his mother.  That kind of thing happens in real life all the time. Hell, some siblings who all have the same parents don't look much alike.

I agree with you. I happen to be one of those people who has siblings that they don't look like, despite having the same parents. The problem I think a lot of viewers (including me) have with JT is that Billy has always looked like an Abbott. I have been watching long enough to have seen when Jill and John got together and every single (adult) actor who played Billy looked like he could have been Jack, Ashley and Tracy's little brother. Not JT though. So not only does this guy not look  like all the previous versions of Billy, he doesn't have Billy's personality or behave in the same way he has since he was a teenager. He's no longer a screw-up whose heart is in the right place, he's now just a smug asshole who doesn't give a shit who he hurts.

I really tried with JT but I can't.  Honestly, his looks are the least of my problem with him. It's a combination of the actor (who has decided to portray Billy as a straight-out asshole with no layers) and the writing for the character. This is not the Billy I have watched over the years. I don't know who this arrogant douche is and I miss the real Billy. Despite his problems, I liked that Billy. This Billy I want to see go visit Rex Rugs.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

BIG UO time...I liked Hartley Sawyer best and thought he was really cute :)

sawyer_hartley.jpg

Room in your corner for me?  So did I.  I couldn't stand Hood, or Garden Gnome, but this guy I liked.  He was stuck in storyline package, though, with Dummer and there was nowhere to go but down.  I would love a GOOD recast Kyle.

40 minutes ago, Desperately Random said:

I really tried with JT but I can't.  Honestly, his looks are the least of my problem with him. It's a combination of the actor (who has decided to portray Billy as a straight-out asshole with no layers) and the writing for the character. This is not the Billy I have watched over the years. I don't know who this arrogant douche is and I miss the real Billy. Despite his problems, I liked that Billy. This Billy I want to see go visit Rex Rugs.

You said it!  It's the smug assholiness that he exudes that makes me hate him.  

• Love 12

Speaking of Gnomie, he was on an episode of the new Fuller House season.  I have to say, he looked really good, I didn't recognize him at all.  Maybe there's something to be said about the Y&R hair/costuming people, because Fen got really hot once he left GC and took residence under a dome  :)

• Love 9