Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Is this an unpopular opinion? Maybe more of an uncommon one.

Anyway, I thought all the Adams -CE, MM, and JH- were great. I don't think I could pick a favorite.  All three actors did the best they could with crappy writing (though CE had the best until the gaslighting SL started) and they made Adam a nice addition to the show. If any of these actors had been given good writing and storylines, the character of Adam could have been a truly iconic and fascinating character for Y&R. Unfortunately, the writers blew it every time. They had a terrifically layered character with an outsider's view of GC while still being part of a core family and they couldn't do anything worthwhile with him.  That is one of the things I really regret about the abysmal writing we've had to endure for the last several years.

Edited by Desperately Random
  • Love 15

^I totally agree.  Jana was quirky and fun, and Kevin thought she was out of his league and that he married up.  They really were a great couple, IMO.  I also loved Jana's relationship with Gloria and Lauren.  The Baldwins were at their best as a family when she and Kevin were together.

The same for me.. the only time  I liked Kevin was when he was with Jana.. hated when they killed her off.. huge mistake IMO

• Love 8

Not only do I hate that they killed off Jana, but I hate that she's never mentioned. Ever. They keep talking about how Kevin was married to Chloe. The love of Kevin's life is Chloe. But before Chloe, there was Jana, and they really loved one another. The Kevin/Chloe relationship is so lopsided. I feel like it doesn't even compare to what Jana and Kevin had.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, jewel21 said:

The Kevin/Chloe relationship is so lopsided. I feel like it doesn't even compare to what Jana and Kevin had.

It is lopsided. Chloe is only using him because no one else is interested in her and/or she wants someone to play baby daddy to her kid. For some reason Kevin has deluded himself into thinking she is the love of his life and probably the best he can do. If only he would wake up and see that Mariah is into him. Even that worthless annoying HackerChick is a step up from Chloe. 

• Love 9

Plus Chloe wants someone in her corner when all the truth starts to come out about her role in Adam's presumed death. And then there's the Bella matter. I'm thinking she's either Billy's kid from the stolen sperm or Chloe stole her. Either way, how was Esther surprised to find out about Bella? Didn't she visit Chloe in whatever institution she was in, or at least maintain some kind of contact with the people in charge of it? Ugh. CHLOE IS THE WORST!

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 11
On 10/29/2016 at 9:02 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm thinking she's either Billy's kid from the stolen sperm or Chloe stole her. Either way, how was Esther surprised to find out about Bella? Didn't she visit Chloe in whatever institution she was in, or at least maintain some kind of contact with the people in charge of it?

This has been my gripe from the git-go.  Esther's character would have been all up in Chloe's welfare-I'm surprised Esther didn't move to be closer to the institution Chloe was in.  You don't hide a pregnancy and I'm pretty sure you don't get to keep/raise a child in an institution.  Next of kin would have been notified, at the very least, at the birth.  I still believe that Chloe was released, swiped a kid and ran back to GC.  No way, I sincerely hope, is this kid a spawn of anyone in GC.   [side note:  the only time I liked her and Kevin together was when she was the bitchy (bulimic)  personal trainer to Lily.  She and Kev were friends, not lovers-the whole 'ducky' shit and true love crap was vomitus.  His true love was Jana.]

Ugh. CHLOE IS THE WORST!/Joimiaroxeu

Edited by MollyB
truth quote
  • Love 6

My Chloe UO is that I don't mind the fact that's she's lost it mentally due to grieving over Delia.  The poor kid survived cancer but then dies anyway in a stupid, preventable accident; it probably would throw many people over the edge.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, ByTor said:

My Chloe UO is that I don't mind the fact that's she's lost it mentally due to grieving over Delia.

Which is why she was institutionalized.  To get help with her grief.  She kidnapped Connor (this is why I think Bella is kidnapped) and could not control herself or her life.  Again, the soap portrayal of mental facilities is lacking reality, but Chloe should still be there (or somewhere that actually helps her).  She came back and incinerated Adam (ok, maybe) and moved in with his wife.  She's certifiable BSC.  The girl ain't right.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, MollyB said:

the soap portrayal of mental facilities is lacking reality, but Chloe should still be there (or somewhere that actually helps her). 

Agreed, and this is the one thing that actually is bothering me about Chloe.

From a different thread (sorry I don't remember which!) regarding Ronan:

And I agree about JB. I didn't get the appeal. Plus he was pudgie. So not straight up eye candy either.

My UO is THIS is exactly how I feel about Harding...yuck, no appeal whatsoever.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Big Blue Plate said:

This may not be the place to put it but I think Chloe looks attractive and normal with her Edelweiss hairdo.  She looks pretty.  Maybe I partly hated her because of her rat bag hair do. 

I find EH to be a little bit adorable. That might be why I see no sexual appeal in her at all. She's like a little girl. I always thought she'd be great as the snarky little sister who wanders into scenes speaking truths.

• Love 3

You mean like Mariah started out being before she got sucked to the Sharon stupidity? Anyway, I think she's cute too. Not sexy, but that's o.k., I don't want to sleep with her and I think she's a decent actress. She's still young, if she has her shit together I could see her being part of an ensemble cast in a prime time hit show.

• Love 5

All right, just putting this out there.

And hoping Cupid Stunt shows up and is more articulate. I'm not just sick of the Sharon-keeps-a-baby story, I find it offensive. Not in conventional moral terms, as in kidnapping or something, but in terms of the way it shows women.

I'm in the UO folder because I'm one of the few who just doesn't care about Sharon as a character. She's always annoyed me at best because of, to use current parlance, her lack of agency. She's a dependent character. And I don't like them at all. [See "opinion" in the name of this folder.] Now that the crap re who's at fault is really starting to build up, it just feels like layers of self-justifying shinola to me. And I could care less. The character made a stupid, passive decision and, as has been the case with her in previous storylines, took no thought for consequences. Or isn't capable of doing so. Writing her as someone with badly written emotional illness doesn't help at all. Is this someone we're supposed to empathize with? I can't. I have always disliked myself for weak or dependent behaviour, and find nothing admirable about it.

Speaking as someone whose female ID card is still in working order, last I looked, I find nothing to like about this scenario or the character.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, pearlite said:

All right, just putting this out there.

And hoping Cupid Stunt shows up and is more articulate. I'm not just sick of the Sharon-keeps-a-baby story, I find it offensive. Not in conventional moral terms, as in kidnapping or something, but in terms of the way it shows women.

I'm in the UO folder because I'm one of the few who just doesn't care about Sharon as a character. She's always annoyed me at best because of, to use current parlance, her lack of agency. She's a dependent character. And I don't like them at all. [See "opinion" in the name of this folder.] Now that the crap re who's at fault is really starting to build up, it just feels like layers of self-justifying shinola to me. And I could care less. The character made a stupid, passive decision and, as has been the case with her in previous storylines, took no thought for consequences. Or isn't capable of doing so. Writing her as someone with badly written emotional illness doesn't help at all. Is this someone we're supposed to empathize with? I can't. I have always disliked myself for weak or dependent behaviour, and find nothing admirable about it.

Speaking as someone whose female ID card is still in working order, last I looked, I find nothing to like about this scenario or the character.

I think you articulated it very well, Pearlite, very well indeed.  

It's in the same ballpark, I think, as to why I'm such a non-fan of Kevin.  Man children presented as hapless, funny, oh-so-sweet characters bug me, as I see them as passive-aggressive assholes making others complicit, or responsible, for their "happiness" or such b.s.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, boes said:

I think you articulated it very well, Pearlite, very well indeed.  

It's in the same ballpark, I think, as to why I'm such a non-fan of Kevin.  Man children presented as hapless, funny, oh-so-sweet characters bug me, as I see them as passive-aggressive assholes making others complicit, or responsible, for their "happiness" or such b.s.  

Thank you so much, boes. Don't like the "man-child" thing at all, either, boes! The idea that either gender is to be forgiven and found adorable for weakness or lack of maturity just eludes me completely.

• Love 7
(edited)
54 minutes ago, pearlite said:

She's always annoyed me at best because of, to use current parlance, her lack of agency. She's a dependent character.

This is probably the main reason why I have no use for Sharon. She's SO helpless. She can't do anything on her own. Actually, I take that back. She can make a mess of her life and then cry and look pitiful when everything goes to hell, and now that they've given her a mental illness that can be used as a crutch. What little self-worth she has seems to come solely from whatever man she's with at the moment. Whenever her life blows up there's usually a man there to help her put the pieces back together. Besides indulge Faith, what does she do with her life? She has no friends. She has no real career, and the only reason she even currently has a job is because Chelsea randomly hired her to do...something. She doesn't do any community work. Does she have any ambition other than being with a man? Even fucking Summer is in college and seems to have taken an interest in working at NE. Sharon can't even just be a Bad Girl who lives off divorce settlements and causes trouble around town. No, instead she always has to be victimized by someone or something. She's addicted to being victimized. 

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 9

While I am a long time fan of Sharon, you've given me some real morsels to chew on, pearlite. When you mentioned her passiveness, I immediately thought of Bold and the Beautiful's human tumbleweed, Liam Spencer. He just rolls whichever way the wind blows, usually down the path of least resistance. I find him absolutely vile, yet I find myself rooting for Sharon, who displays a similar trait. Maybe it's because Liam is coddled and elevated as some sort of prime catch while Sharon is isolated and villified.

I would like to see Sharon get some real help, not gaslighting from a vengeful nutbar in some shady institution. She should move off the Newman property, set some career goals, and work on her relationship with her kids, especially Mariah. Have her discover some hidden talent; it can't be any more ludicrous than grifter Chelsea and her "gift" for fashion design. 

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts, pearlite. Well said.

• Love 9

I agree fully re: Sharon and have found her unwatchable for years. I enjoyed some of the MAB insanity because it was so out there it was funny. And Sharon did actually have some agency ("I AM VICTOR NEWMAN"). But it was truly silly and of course Shictor. 

But I can still remember the old Sharon. The one who let Phyllis have it. Who screamed at Nick. Who had shouting matches with Nikki constantly. Who dumped Jack for lying. But pretty much from the time she had her klepto crap and then had the whole Shadam thing with her baby's kidnapper the character was wrecked.

I like her because I still see Original Recipe Sharon in there somewhere (I guess because there's been no recast). Bill Bell characters all have hope IMO because there was enough substance at one point.

SC doesn't seem to understand viewer frustration. She thinks her fans want Sharon to be happy. But that's not it. I think we (some of us) want her to own what she does and therefore have substance again. Be a fully formed character and not a prop or a mendacious porcelain doll with giant eyes.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

While I am a long time fan of Sharon, you've given me some real morsels to chew on, pearlite. When you mentioned her passiveness, I immediately thought of Bold and the Beautiful's human tumbleweed, Liam Spencer. He just rolls whichever way the wind blows, usually down the path of least resistance. I find him absolutely vile, yet I find myself rooting for Sharon, who displays a similar trait. Maybe it's because Liam is coddled and elevated as some sort of prime catch while Sharon is isolated and villified.

Now that you've pointed it out, it's an apt comparison. Of the two, Sharon is far more proactive, but it's true that much of the time she's been pushed around and that is no more entertaining to sit through watching Victor win all the time. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, miamama said:

But pretty much from the time she had her klepto crap and then had the whole Shadam thing with her baby's kidnapper the character was wrecked.

I remember reading somewhere that there were rumours of MAB looking to kill Sharon off and pairing her with Adam was a shortcut to make that easier. She didn't expect the pairing to take off like it did, so she went with Victor instead. Only, CBS pulled the plug on her career instead (barring Bradley Bell doing any favors for his favorite sister in law by hiring her on B&B, which I'd honestly welcome because she didn't hesitate to kill off any dead weight to the show and we'd have a shot at CJ and some other long forgotten characters returning. But I digress).

But yeah, the Adam thing was very detrimental to her.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, miamama said:

I enjoyed some of the MAB insanity because it was so out there it was funny. And Sharon did actually have some agency ("I AM VICTOR NEWMAN").

The "I Am Victor Newman" period was the last time I found Sharon entertaining or useful, but that was for all of the wrong reasons. 

• Love 6

i loved christopher walken in one of my most favourite movies that i never get tired of watching.  it's called "blast from the past".  it stars brendan fraser as adam (born in a bomb shelter in the early 60's), cw as his father, sissy spaced played his mom and alicia silverstone who became his girlfriend.. never get tired of watching it..it's my go to movie for when i'm on the ferry.

• Love 2
On 11/11/2016 at 0:24 PM, valleycliffe said:

i loved christopher walken in one of my most favourite movies that i never get tired of watching.  it's called "blast from the past".  it stars brendan fraser as adam (born in a bomb shelter in the early 60's), cw as his father, sissy spaced played his mom and alicia silverstone who became his girlfriend.. never get tired of watching it..it's my go to movie for when i'm on the ferry.

Is "on the ferry" a euphemism? I love it but maybe you mean an actual boat. LOL 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, glowlights said:

Is "on the ferry" a euphemism? I love it but maybe you mean an actual boat. LOL 

i'm sorry, i should have qualified it.  the "ferry" is the vessel we take ( in our car) to get from vancouver island to the mainland.  depending on which terminal you go to, it takes either 1 hr and 40 from departure bay to horseshoe bay or 2 hours from duke point terminal in south nanaimo to tsawassen.. so, to pass the time, i watch a movie on my laptop..thankfully tho, some of the ferries now have wifi on them so i can also surf the internet.  or come to this board..

• Love 3
14 hours ago, glowlights said:

Oh! The actual ferry. :). That's beautiful country up there. 

Still might use it for a euphemism though. lol 

yes, it is very beautiful...the whole province is...that's why it's called super, natural, british columbia..

what state do u live in glowlights?  are u landlocked?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

yes, it is very beautiful...the whole province is...that's why it's called super, natural, british columbia..

what state do u live in glowlights?  are u landlocked?

We're on the west coast right now until we can get back east. Or France the way my husband has been talking. LOL We are happy with oceans, prairie, desert or mountains so long as a major airport is accessible. I do love wide open spaces though. Have you always been on the island? Btw we just recorded a nature special about the ghost (white) bears of Vancouver island. It might be on PBS on demand if you're interested.

UO: I am so sick of all these baby plots. Can Sully please go live with distant relatives and we forget about him until he's old enough to be interesting? Same with Bella and Connor and Faith and the Winters twins. I remember the good old days when soap kids were shipped off to boarding school.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, glowlights said:

Have you always been on the island?

no, we moved her 10 yrs ago after dh and i retired...we used to live in squamish, BEFORE the darn highway was fixed and turned mostly into 4 lanes...got tired of having to travel to the city....kind of regret moving now but hindsight is always 20/20..LOL  i can only imagine how much our house would be worth now...real estate has gotten very expensive there...we used to live in the shadow of the chief..

• Love 1

Well the main thing is that you moved when it was right for you. We can always second guess the real estate market but as you said.... hindsight is 20/20. An unimproved mountain highway sounds like it would have been a p.i.t.a.
 At least you're safe!

• Love 2

LOL  my daughter still lives in squamish..she says that now, traffic has increased by A LOT and also the people driving the highway have increased their speed A LOT....which sounds horrid cause "ski" season will start soon in whistler.  that means, tons of people on the highway all wanting to get their as quickly as possible so as to be first on the mountain...then of course, when the day is over, be last off the mountain,, head to have "refreshments" then be the first to get home that night..

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My UO, I don't like Tracy. I've never liked Tracy, I was always indifferent to her because she's just too goody woody. Ever since she let Nosferatu have Colleen's heart she's been dead to me. I don't care if she ever comes back.

If she'd only ask for it back.....

I miss Colleen and all the possibilities with her character wasted.

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, boes said:

If she'd only ask for it back.....

I miss Colleen and all the possibilities with her character wasted.

i liked colleen best when lyndsey fonseca played her....

i didn't mind adrienne leon either...

HATED tammin suresucks tho and was sorta happy when she was killed off...

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

Maria Bell's fondness for killing off characters always baffled me. I wasn't fond of Sursok or the reasoning why Leon was sacked but she was Tracy's only daughter FFS.

i THINK adrienne said later she was let go due to her gaining weight...she was taking steroids for something and that caused the weight gain.  personally, i thought she looked great even if she did..she at least looked healthy and not like she was on the verge of passing out from starvation..

what they should have done is write a story around it...

lml was headwriter at the time along with scott hamner.

it was in july 2007

Edited by valleycliffe
added to post
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i THINK adrienne said later she was let go due to her gaining weight...she was taking steroids for something and that caused the weight gain.  personally, i thought she looked great even if she did..she at least looked healthy and not like she was on the verge of passing out from starvation..

Even though Tracey's main characteristic is that she's unabashedly plus size. Can't have more than one on the show I guess. If Tracey returns Mariah will have to take up whatever diet Victoria's on. :(

• Love 3
1 minute ago, jewel21 said:

My favourite Coleen was the one who was with JT, with the blue eyes, and was later on Nikita. Sorry if that's vague. My most hated was the one who later went on to to be on Pretty Little Liars.

that was lyndsey fonseca, she was my favourite too....

tammin sursock was the one killed off and went to pll.

• Love 5

I don't know why the ratings are falling so steadily.  Yes, there's lots to bitch about, but there's also an actual resemblance to soapy goodness from time to time, the Winters have stopped travelling in a pack to a large degree, they've added natural light to the fake shrubbery of Chancellor Park, they kinda fixed Katherine's house, they gave the Abbotts back their dining room and a hallway we've never seen before... this shiftfest has been way worse than it is right now. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Big Blue Plate said:

I like Chelsea and Nick's storyline.

I think I married a CBS VP is a good soap actress. 

Still not a fan of her gasping, but the growing relationship between those two seems downright logical and grownup compared to the random pairings of late. At least it didn't start with drunk sex in a storage room.

• Love 7

I'm just starting to dip my toe back in in prep for giving it a chance when the SSM scripts come down the pike but here's a few likely unpopular opinions I have about Y&R:

Ashley is iconic Y&R so would never want to lose her, but the character is such a cold fish. Even as a kid never got into her. ED is stunning, and weirdly when I admit my Y&R guilty pleasure I feel like aside from Victor/Nikki people ask about Ashley the most. Huh.

I actually LIKE the tack house set.  Old Newman ranch was the Y&R of my childhood so never going to be thrilled about the new house (it's ok) but what's done is done. Just don't get rid of the tack house (btw where the fuck does NOAH live?)

Related to that? I miss Daniel's studio apt. Loved that set. (btw where the fuck does NOAH live?)

I think Dylan should stay.

I think Kevin should go.

I'd be thrilled if Michelle Stafford came back as Phyllis.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 3