Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, boes said:

I'm watching Ryan's Hope online right now, from the first episodes, virtually complete, at least for the first 5 years or so.  I'm up to Jill taking the baby Edmund on that will fated trip to the beach house.  It's still great, these early years.

That beach house saw its fair share of drama! lol What did you think of the original Faith?

Last month I saw the actor who played Roger on an old Matlock rerun and got way too excited. He played a charming bad guy, so it was a little bit like watching Ryan's Hope. :)

• Love 2
On 9/18/2016 at 0:17 PM, glowlights said:

That beach house saw its fair share of drama! lol What did you think of the original Faith?

Last month I saw the actor who played Roger on an old Matlock rerun and got way too excited. He played a charming bad guy, so it was a little bit like watching Ryan's Hope. :)

My favorite Faith was Catherine Hicks.  The first Faith was so withdrawn and I remember not caring for her much on the original run, but watching her again she's not terrible.  Back handed praise?  Karen Gowdy is good but right now she's bugging me because of the storyline, taking Tom back into her life because he's blind right after he's tried to kill her mulitple times.  The Pat recast, though, John Blazo, he's....not good.

I loved Ron Hale in the old days and I love him even more rewatching him now.

• Love 1

I used to like how soaps would try to cash in on what was popular at the moment. Flash Dance, Man Perms, Disco, Mafia.

Now I want the Game Of Corner Office. Victor as the Mad King. Mop as Cercei.  Adam revived as the Jon Snow. Nick as the Mountain, Clo as the Red Witch. Now all they need is the worlds most uncomfortable desk chair.

Edited by crowsworks
premature postulation
  • Love 4

I am literally afraid to say this but I like Jason Thompson as Billy.  I think he's handsome, I think his acting is pretty natural, I think he's a good soap actor.  I had no idea who he was or what he did on GH or anywhere else, so watching him cold, I like him.  I remember Billy Miller always grimacing and making stupid faces (maybe he picked up a few pointers from Sharon Case) but I liked him for being built like a brick shithouse but other than that his range seemed to run from silly grin to brooding scowl.  With nothing to judge him on but what he does, I quite like Jason Thompson, with all his scene partners. 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Big Blue Plate said:

I am literally afraid to say this but I like Jason Thompson as Billy.  I think he's handsome, I think his acting is pretty natural, I think he's a good soap actor.  I had no idea who he was or what he did on GH or anywhere else, so watching him cold, I like him.  I remember Billy Miller always grimacing and making stupid faces (maybe he picked up a few pointers from Sharon Case) but I liked him for being built like a brick shithouse but other than that his range seemed to run from silly grin to brooding scowl.  With nothing to judge him on but what he does, I quite like Jason Thompson, with all his scene partners. 

I disagree, but I still gave this post love for bravery :)

• Love 12

^ What Anna said!  I can't freaking stand him and think he's easily the worst on the entire show now.  Yes, worse than Stench.  Worse than Dummer.  Worse than Miss Devon.  He's like a deflated balloon wrapped in rubber bands, only with less charisma.  

But since you were so brave, I'll throw one in myself...<<<<<<<<<<I like Cane>>>>>>>>>>.  Shhhhh!!!!  I can't ever forget him as the "Beastmaster", this terrible Xena-like show, where he wore the hell out of a loincloth.  And he wasn't at all pasty then.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

But since you were so brave, I'll throw one in myself...<<<<<<<<<<I like Cane>>>>>>>>>>.  Shhhhh!!!!  I can't ever forget him as the "Beastmaster", this terrible Xena-like show, where he wore the hell out of a loincloth.  And he wasn't at all pasty then.

I used to watch that show every Saturday morning as I did laundry/housework.  And most times I watched it with the mute button on.

And now I'll admit something embarrassing. It was almost six months after Cane came on the show before I realized that he was the same actor who played the Beastmaster. And even then it was only because someone on TWOP pointed it out.

• Love 5

Here's my secret.  While I pretty much loved Katherine through most of her run and I miss her a lot, I was more annoyed with her than anything else those her last years.  It was the writing, of course - Jeanne Cooper was never anything less than wonderful - but MAB wrote her as such a suckup to Victor that there were times I could barely stand to watch the scenes she had with him.

Remembering how casually she tossed aside what Victor did when he had Victoria arrested during her wedding to Billy (the Billy Miller version) still makes me mad.  And remembering that sort of thing reminds me all over again how bad MAB could be.  And we can't have a do-over with Katherine Chancellor.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, boes said:

Remembering how casually she tossed aside what Victor did when he had Victoria arrested during her wedding to Billy (the Billy Miller version) still makes me mad.  And remembering that sort of thing reminds me all over again how bad MAB could be.  And we can't have a do-over with Katherine Chancellor.

I remember being appalled when she would defend Victor's disgusting, misogynist actions to Nikki and encourage her to go back to her abuser. That used to make me rage-y especially because the Katherine Chancellor I had watched for years would have tore Victor a new one and never would have condoned such repulsive behavior.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, boes said:

Here's my secret.  While I pretty much loved Katherine through most of her run and I miss her a lot, I was more annoyed with her than anything else those her last years.  It was the writing, of course - Jeanne Cooper was never anything less than wonderful - but MAB wrote her as such a suckup to Victor that there were times I could barely stand to watch the scenes she had with him.

I doubt that is an unpopular sentiment around here. I was just as pissed when she kept being written as the #1 Nictor shipper after the disgusting shit Victurd's put her through.

I will never be convinced that JFP wasn't setting Kay and Nikki up to get killed off with the illness stories she dumped on them almost the very week she took over the show, and someone higher up put the brakes on that shit. Notice Nikki's MS story was dropped and has never been touched in years.

• Love 8
On 10/14/2016 at 10:15 PM, Big Blue Plate said:

While I hate JT's acting on this show, am not a fan of him eating the show alive, and despised The Affair, I don't have visceral hatred for him that others do. I fault him for his acting but IMO Phelps and Pratt are to blame for all of the other problems with the character. 

• Love 4

I really wanted to like JT, because I liked him, if not his character, on GH.  But I cannot stand him now.

My UO is that I kind of like Lily, especially when she is being shrewish! I don't like her so  much that if she had died from her cancer I would have been upset, but I enjoy her constant snark directed toward Hilary.

Also, I really don't like Chelz and never believed that she was the love of Adam's life.

• Love 4

I agree about Lily. She can be shrewish, but I hate Hilary so when she rags on her I kind of enjoy it. I do think her character supposedly running the GCAC is ridiculous. But, Chelzzz is unnecessary and her Debbie Downer personality is sooo boring.

• Love 5
Just now, NinjaPenguins said:

I like Devon and Kevin and Hilary.

I could not give a flea's footprint about the other Chancellor heirs. Chance and Mackenzie were human Nyquil and I'd be delighted to never see them again. 

O.k. I'll jump in, I couldn't stand Nina. There I said it.

• Love 5

I'm loving this thread!

We're all getting great ideas of who to dress up as for Halloween.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

There's a certain poetic justice that the guy Nina and Cricket fought over was .... Tightpockets!  That's some karmic payback for all three.

• Love 4

I liked Cane the first six months he was on the show. I thought he was cute. I can't believe that now. But I did.

I like Hilary, in every incarnation (evil, sweet). I think I just like MiM.

I liked Lily with Daniel and I think in a different pairing I might like her again.

I don't hate Neil when he's just being background filler business guy.

Hated every version of Mackenzie but mostly the first and the last.

3 hours ago, bannana said:

Also, I really don't like Chelz and never believed that she was the love of Adam's life.

This. 

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't hate Nina....but lets just say I can see how someone like her could be friends with someone like Cockroach.

I constantly rolled my eyes during Adam and Sharon's "Us Against the World" shit and ever thought MM and SC had chemistry. 

I think SC is mediocre at best. 

MM is talented but overhyped, sometimes very overhyped. He was not the "Savior of Y&R" that some people tried to make him out to be. And regardless of how one feels about EB, he's just as much a soap icon as JC and MTS, and MM hadn't yet earned the right to be called his successor. 

I don't get the hype over Chance or wanting him to come back. 

I find Devon boring but inoffensive. 

Unless Jack is going to shoot Prictor dead (or the writers are willing to let Prctor lose for longer than a few weeks) I don't ever want to see him go after him again. He has no poker face and always ends up losing in the end. It's pathetic. 

Ashley...meh.

Edited by LeftPhalange
  • Love 2

Love Ashley and ED, miss Gloria, but most of the female players/characters do virtually nothing for me--like LP, I find Sharon Case uninteresting, but not usually terribly irritating as an actress--except for the current bug-eyes. She's just not my kind of character.

Tracy, OTOH, can come back any time--the show needs a moral compass who doesn't make viewers vomit.

MM, don't get me started--an overhyped narcissist, and a screen-eater. Hon, you were no James Franco, and that isn't even a compliment.

• Love 5

ThE MM stuff made me thankful for the current set up here. When TWoP had only one thread for Y&R, I'd have to wait days sometimes to discuss the actual show over the MM/EB drama backstage or whatever he was tweeting about that day. OTOH, given the way the show was going, I can't blame people too much for discussing the backstage politics over the actual show.

• Love 3

no James Franco

Is that was he was aiming for? Near the end I remember his trying to put his version of Adam on par with the likes of iconic characters Walter White and Don Draper. I think if you asked the average person on the street who WW or DD are (especially if you showed them a photo) they could probably identify at least one of them. But "Adam Newman"? Please. It's sad because while I do think MM is a more than decent actor, one has to wonder why he's barely gotten any work since he and Y&R parted ways.

• Love 1

Ooh, I have another one. I like Chloe. I used to hate her when she was Lily's "manager" or whatever the hell she was supposed to be. But I like the actor. I think she's really cute. I just wish she wasn't a murderer because I'd like to see her with some of the guys, like maybe uh, no ...um, how about... no.....er.. I can't think of any guys I like. Huh.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4

I don't like the character.  And I keep searching for lesbian subtext in her all Chelsea scenes.  To my mind, like Greg R., E. Hendrickson just doesn't spell any kind of sex-ay.   She could be great with characters, and I guess in the real world everybody potentially sex-ays.  But I don't watch the real world.  

• Love 5

The recent use of the lead in music to Nadia's Theme reminds me that I enjoyed that version they used in the early 2000s with the saxophone and that they still use for the mid-episode bumper.  I'm guessing the fans never took to it since they've changed it back to the original version, but I wouldn't mind a revamp of the credits. Especially since the show resembles nothing of what it once was anyway.

• Love 2
On October 17, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Big Blue Plate said:

I don't like the character.  And I keep searching for lesbian subtext in her all Chelsea scenes.  To my mind, like Greg R., E. Hendrickson just doesn't spell any kind of sex-ay.   She could be great with characters, and I guess in the real world everybody potentially sex-ays.  But I don't watch the real world.  

I find EH asexual. When she and GR are together romantically, good lord.

• Love 5

When Victor is being an asshole about town, strutting around doing his big man routine, he still cracks me up when his parting shot is 'You have a nice day'. It's just delightfully ridiculous to me and generally about the only thing I like about the character. 

• Love 5

^I totally agree.  Jana was quirky and fun, and Kevin thought she was out of his league and that he married up.  They really were a great couple, IMO.  I also loved Jana's relationship with Gloria and Lauren.  The Baldwins were at their best as a family when she and Kevin were together.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

I hated that they killed off Jana. That was the only time Kevin had a spread of credibility in any relationship he was in.

1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

^I totally agree.  Jana was quirky and fun, and Kevin thought she was out of his league and that he married up.  They really were a great couple, IMO.  I also loved Jana's relationship with Gloria and Lauren.  The Baldwins were at their best as a family when she and Kevin were together.

Yes to both. But I honestly think loving Jana and even Jana with Kevin is a popular opinion. I will forever hate Chloe for being the character to push Jana out. Such a stupid as FUCK decision on MAB's part. It was MAB, right? Emily O'Brien was young, beautiful and could seriously act. What a waste.

• Love 11
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM, miamama said:

Yes to both. But I honestly think loving Jana and even Jana with Kevin is a popular opinion. I will forever hate Chloe for being the character to push Jana out. Such a stupid as FUCK decision on MAB's part. It was MAB, right? Emily O'Brien was young, beautiful and could seriously act. What a waste.

It was.

It cannot be stated enough how utterly lazy she was in writing out characters that she personally had no use for. I still think Adam would've been another one if Chris Egan didn't quit.

• Love 5

The writing for CE!Adam was definitely more balanced, for sure. Regardless of who was in the role, the Ashley gaslighting and fetus burning tainted the character for YEARS and it only began to dissipate when Justin Hartley was recast and became a watered down Nick/Not ButtBiscuit Billy hybrid.

• Love 4