Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I know the respectful thing would be to kill off the character of Neil, but that makes me so sad. I wish Neil would be written off of the show instead. That way I can pretend Neil, and KSJ, is still out there somewhere happy and full of life rather than the alternative.  I guess I'm just not ready to say goodbye. 

I understand this and honestly, I wouldn’t hate if it happened this way either. I was never of the opinion that if an actor dies that his/her character had to die too. There doesn’t have to be a recast, but at a certain point, you’re very much clouding reel vs. real and I don’t prefer to be so meta in that way. The character is not the actor and vice versa.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I know the respectful thing would be to kill off the character of Neil, but that makes me so sad. I wish Neil would be written off of the show instead. That way I can pretend Neil, and KSJ, is still out there somewhere happy and full of life rather than the alternative.  I guess I'm just not ready to say goodbye. 

I think that was by B&B never killed off Sally Spectra. While I wish they'd addressed that while Aly was alive and could've received what was left of SF, I don't begrudge them for having her forever vacationing with cabana boys.

So yeah, I totally get it. I had no love for the character since Drucilla died but KSJ has been a part of so many people's tv lives. Especially at a time when media was moving away from the hard like stories black people were often written into before Cosby began to change that landscape.

I also just realized that makes Lily and Devon orphans now, and that makes me sad. Especially with Lily being in prison...no doubt the writers will have her furloughed out out of jail soon enough with the new writing staff, but...man. I don't remember the last time they had a scene together or if there were any coming up in the next six weeks.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I understand this and honestly, I wouldn’t hate if it happened this way either. I was never of the opinion that if an actor dies that his/her character had to die too. There doesn’t have to be a recast, but at a certain point, you’re very much clouding reel vs. real and I don’t prefer to be so meta in that way. The character is not the actor and vice versa.

I see killing off Neil as a way to honour KSJ. Neil Winters was central to this show’s success in its heyday. (Something new viewers likely don’t know.) IMO an exit via memorial is a powerful way to honour the man who played such an important character for almost 30 years. It’s like retiring an athlete’s number/jersey - it’s an acknowledgment the person was special and is irreplaceable. I don’t see it as blurring real and reel in this case.

• Love 20
28 minutes ago, miamama said:

I see killing off Neil as a way to honour KSJ. Neil Winters was central to this show’s success in its heyday. (Something new viewers likely don’t know.) IMO an exit via memorial is a powerful way to honour the man who played such an important character for almost 30 years. It’s like retiring an athlete’s number/jersey - it’s an acknowledgment the person was special and is irreplaceable. I don’t see it as blurring real and reel in this case.

And I don’t disagree with this either. But I do think they can honor Kristoff by having a special about him as an actor—and having his co-stars and friends speak about his work/select memorable scenes. Neil doesn’t necessarily have to die on-screen for those same variables to be showcased. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

And I don’t disagree with this either. But I do think they can honor Kristoff by having a special about him as an actor—and having his co-stars and friends speak about his work/select memorable scenes. Neil doesn’t necessarily have to die on-screen for those same variables to be showcased. 

Right. I get you. But to me that doesn’t honour his work in the same way. It implies Neil is a throwaway character. Sort of like Paul and how Mal just ghosted him away assuming viewers wouldn’t notice (and newer viewers probably didn’t).

As a long time viewer. I want the *character* KSJ brought to life honoured as well as the actor.

My guess is they haven’t decided what to do yet. They probably want to be sensitive to his family and co-stars and it’s way too soon to gauge/ask.

So the Feb 8 tribute will likely be a montage of clips and a few comments from colleagues. And that may be it for some time (or totally).

• Love 8
On 2/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, Big Blue Plate said:

As Victor resurges, I'm just gonna say I don't think Mal was all bad.  

Okay, that was the second thing I liked about Mal (next to killing the Sharon is bipolar as a plot device for good) 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I've been a casual on/off viewer of Y&R the past fifteen years, I was more into ABC soaps, but since GH is the only one left and its been damn near unwatchable the past year I've gotten more into Y&R. Anyway, after scoping out different forums I think I'm the only person in the world that likes Summer! Although I do get a kick out of and understand the Dummer moniker lol I like that she's a classic soap schemer and screw up. I think HHK does a great job in the role of bad girl that appears to have a ton of confidence but is actually very insecure. She's exactly what I'd expect Phyllis and Nick's daughter to be. I'll show myself out now....

• Love 14

Actually, it's a fair point... Summer would be a head case... and she is.  I kind of agree she's mildly entertaining in this latest incarnation, galumphing around Genoa City trying to mess with Kyle's marathon of patience.  Frankly I'm starting to think Lola's less a virgin by choice than so damned annoying nobody ever struck around long enough for her to be ready to rumble. 

Edited by Big Blue Plate
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4

I wish that Nate would come home to find Neil dead of a heart attack. He notifies all of the family/friends. We see their reactions live and then see them all come together to mourn Neil together and attend his funeral. We can all put him to rest with the love and respect he and his portrayer deserve. RIP, Kristoff and Neil. We appreciated you so very much.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll go so far as to say I miss Reed.

Me too.  

I can't miss Charlie and Mattie because they won't go away.  But I'd love to find out......

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I'd give you all the damn Rosales over any of the Newmans save Nikki and some days Victoria.  (I don't see Sharin' as a Newman.) 

Well, I am willing to sacrifice Lola.  Kyle appears to have studied at Canestipation School of Acting when he waxes poetic about Grumpy Smurf. 

• LOL 3

Wasn't sure where to put this but watching this week reminded me (courtroom stuff). I have to say--and this may be actual praise for Mal Young--the show the last year and a half features MORE characters overlapping. Bigger crowd scenes, etc. They didn't need each and every spectator in those courtroom scenes but a lot of the cast was there. For a few years there (JFP, MAB) it seemed like only two storylines got advanced at a time, always siloed off, and often with players who should be at least tangential to the storyline no where to be seen. You'd have a lame storyline dropped and revisited only every other Tuesday (African-American storylines, Jill & Colin, etc) in complete isolation from any others. That's shifted the last two years or so. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, crosby777 said:

I am fucking pumped. I know I know you all hate MS here but not me. PHYLLIS IS back babies and I am a happy girl. Is there anyone else that likes her or just me ? LOL

I don't hate her as much as I hate GT but that's not saying much.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I'm glad for a new Adam that is going against the types they've casted since Chris Engen left the role. A clean(ish) slate with a lot a distance from his fetus-burning, gaslighting, daddy issue-having past is what we need if we must bring him back, and some true reflection of his heinous past would be an added bonus 

I'm willing to give it a shot. I mean, the only character in soapdom I wanted to see brought back less than Adam was B&B's Hope "I WAS ROBBED!" Logan and I have been more than blown away by the actress and the fact she and Liam might make it to an anniversary this time, so maybe we'll get lucky here too...

....right? 👀

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I'm over here at a table for one, I know but I really liked the Sharon/Rey love scene. It was sweet, gentle and sexy. So much better to me than the rapid dog attacks of Philly/Phick, etc. And wonder of wonders, they did it in a bed!

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm over here at a table for one, I know but I really liked the Sharon/Rey love scene. It was sweet, gentle and sexy. So much better to me than the rapid dog attacks of Philly/Phick, etc. And wonder of wonders, they did it in a bed!

Agreed.

And not an elevator, a kitchen island, a sofa or a dumpster were needed!  

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, basiltherat said:

They are so klassy  . . . they did it in a hotel where Mia could be RIGHT NEXT DOOR !!!!!

I wish she was. It would have been fun to watch her head explode. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

I kind of like Nick's dadbod. 

Not the stupid cheesy way they are showing it, (that montage! ugh!) but a few years ago in shirtless scenes he was always too waxed, tanned and like he was trying to hold onto his 1990s heyday. It's clear he's still an athlete, just not an underwear model (hi Kyle!)

Circa 2010 or so Billy Miller's Billy was the one I'd be more interested in seeing shirtless, Nick always seemed just so soap opera/romance novel cliche. 

Edited by JasonCC
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

I kind of like Nick's dadbod. 

It's certainly more realistic.  I always think about these soap towns where the entire population all have perfect skin, perfect bodies, perfect hair...I certainly wouldn't want to live there!

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Cast returns:  Chelsea (the actress), Michelle Stafford (the character and actress), Chloe (character) and Greg Rickart ..sorry, I know I spelled that incorrectly...and his forehead.  Cannot stand them.  I was so looking forward to the new production team, writer, etc.  And I was looking forward to Adam's return.    But it seems we are going to see the same tired pairings (Adam/Sharon maybe; because she is always always paired with a new guy) and ye Gods...maybe Kevin and Chloe if she returns.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Just thought I'd come in here so I'm not spoilsporting others' delight with the new Adam.

The actor doesn't do a thing for me, and frankly the chiseled pretty-boy thing is miles from my thing. The character I've never liked or thought of as someone who added a lot to the canvas in any of his manifestations.

So, there, my UO for the day, and I feel better for it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Glad the tack house set is back---with a better couch. 

If Noah ever comes back (recast or not) Sharon needs to give him the Rosales apartment if Rey moves in with her. Perfect bachelor pad set.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I fucking love the carnival! I love the lights, the colors, everything. I like that Victor won Drinki a prize. I just like the whole thing.

I'm really impressed with the set, we haven't seen anything this extensive in a long, long time.  

Now, is there any chance, any chance.at.all. that Phyllis might just run away with the carnival when it leaves town??

• Useful 3
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7

I don’t hate the Cane/Traci fantasy writing story. It’s nice to see Traci in a story that’s not Abbott related or has her playing referee beteeen her siblings. She’s able to be her other self- professional writer and daydreamer and have fun with another man whatever the appropriateness. It’s also a nice nod to he olden days when you had these types of lighter subplots and the pairings of the longing wallflower with the clueless stud. I much rather watch this rather than Phylly or Billy. I don’t want Cane to hurt Traci but it’d be interesting for them to become true friends and Cane actually show a different side of himself in being a true friend to Traci. These weird stories are how cool friendships start.

As I said in another post the thing that’s missing is Sam as he should be front and center in Cane’s life especially with Lily gone and his older kids kinda whatever about him. Traci helping him bond with this child and she herself also drawn/affected as she’s reminded of Colleen would make it all the better. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

I don’t hate the Cane/Traci fantasy writing story. It’s nice to see Traci in a story that’s not Abbott related or has her playing referee beteeen her siblings. She’s able to be her other self- professional writer and daydreamer and have fun with another man whatever the appropriateness. It’s also a nice nod to he olden days when you had these types of lighter subplots and the pairings of the longing wallflower with the clueless stud. I much rather watch this rather than Phylly or Billy. I don’t want Cane to hurt Traci but it’d be interesting for them to become true friends and Cane actually show a different side of himself in being a true friend to Traci. These weird stories are how cool friendships start.

As I said in another post the thing that’s missing is Sam as he should be front and center in Cane’s life especially with Lily gone and his older kids kinda whatever about him. Traci helping him bond with this child and she herself also drawn/affected as she’s reminded of Colleen would make it all the better. 

Concur, the worst part of this story is it’s effort on Cane, but the concept I could have gotten behind if it were literally anyone else.

that said, it’s still not the worst story on the show. I’m not entirely bored like I am with Kola and Dummer feeling sorry for herself and nothing about in pisses me off like Billy and Phyllis’s continued existence.

• Love 6

I am loving the town Carnival set too, it feels like old Y&R where there was usually a Autumn festival set that ran October-ish and then it would be repurposed to a Christmas-tree lot for a few weeks in December.

So far I'm not minding Stafford back. Her Phyllis is more over-the-top, my other half only knew GT Phyllis and it's been interesting getting his impression. He actually finds her spin on the character more comical than anything.

Speaking of Stafford I'm sure they are going to put her and Mark Grossman in the opening credits. While they are at it can they add Kyle, Traci and at least one of the Rosales? (whoever they think is sticking around, I'm still not sold on them but they are growing on me)

• Love 7
20 hours ago, JasonCC said:

So far I'm not minding Stafford back. Her Phyllis is more over-the-top, my other half only knew GT Phyllis and it's been interesting getting his impression. He actually finds her spin on the character more comical than anything.

Well, that's right, she's always been a bit comical in her escapades. I have to admit that when she first showed up again I smiled and thought, yeah, Phyllis is back.

I like NuAdam too and let's face it, Victor can't last forever so I don't mind Adam being the main villain now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Other than Phyllis (Michelle S) I am enjoying the show a little more than I have in awhile.  I like Jack having some snark - which means the writers probably won't keep it.  And while I usually cannot stand Kevin, I like him with Mariah and showing some humor and smiling once in awhile.  That is what soaps don't have...humor and a bit of lightness.  And for the love of God, get rid of Cane.  When Lily makes an appearance, how about sending her Adam's way?  The other couplings for him are stale.  And I am saying this as not a huge Lily fan.  Just please, mix things up a little.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
On 7/7/2019 at 3:42 AM, AngelKitty said:

Victor can't last forever

God willing.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:54 AM, Kemper said:

Other than Phyllis (Michelle S) I am enjoying the show a little more than I have in awhile. 

Y&R is getting a bit more of my interest too. Mostly because B&B has had the same dreary, depressing story with even drearier, repetitive writing for the last six months, but I don't flat out hate nunununununununuAdam like I expected. It's closer to a love-to-hate, and every show needs a few of those. I don't even mind MS all that much because GT's Phyllis too often just blended into the background for me after the first few months.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:54 AM, Kemper said:

And for the love of God, get rid of Cane. 

Yes, this! There's no more Lily or Lane for fans to harrass the CBS     studio to keep paired up and no Jill left to prop his lame ass up. Bye. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
59 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

I have to confess I begrudgingly admire Daniel Goddard's social media/fan interaction HUSTLE! You do what you have to do to keep a job!

But in that case, could he at least get a new wig?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Wait, does he have one too? I've been noticing something is up with CLB/Michael's hair recently for sure. Couldn't decide if it was lighting changes or a dye job or what.....

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, JasonCC said:

Wait, does he have one too? I've been noticing something is up with CLB/Michael's hair recently for sure. Couldn't decide if it was lighting changes or a dye job or what.....

I don't know for sure about Goddard, but it sure looked like he did in that post, didn't it?  It seemed to lift up and lay back down like a hairy hat....

CLB, I don't know about, though the rumors are rife on the subject.  There sure looks to be a lot more to his head of hair than there used to be, though.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/10/2019 at 2:47 AM, CharethCutestory said:

I've been a casual on/off viewer of Y&R the past fifteen years, I was more into ABC soaps, but since GH is the only one left and its been damn near unwatchable the past year I've gotten more into Y&R. Anyway, after scoping out different forums I think I'm the only person in the world that likes Summer! Although I do get a kick out of and understand the Dummer moniker lol I like that she's a classic soap schemer and screw up. I think HHK does a great job in the role of bad girl that appears to have a ton of confidence but is actually very insecure. She's exactly what I'd expect Phyllis and Nick's daughter to be. I'll show myself out now....

Summer is one of my fave characters right now. I love how she rubs people the wrong way.. she is soapygoodness

On 2/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, Big Blue Plate said:

Actually, it's a fair point... Summer would be a head case... and she is.  I kind of agree she's mildly entertaining in this latest incarnation, galumphing around Genoa City trying to mess with Kyle's marathon of patience.  Frankly I'm starting to think Lola's less a virgin by choice than so damned annoying nobody ever struck around long enough for her to be ready to rumble. 

Summer is a total fuck up. No doubt but so entertaining.. and just wait till Faith ages.. that kid is going to be off the charts cuckoo.. she has been fucked over so many times by her idiot parents.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 2/22/2019 at 3:15 PM, JasonCC said:

Not sure if this is unpopular or not but I miss the teen set: Charlie, Mattie, Reed. 

I miss the teen scene but not these teens. They were all horrible.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 7/17/2019 at 2:59 AM, crosby777 said:

Summer is one of my fave characters right now. I love how she rubs people the wrong way.. she is soapygoodness

Summer is a total fuck up. No doubt but so entertaining.. and just wait till Faith ages.. that kid is going to be off the charts cuckoo.. she has been fucked over so many times by her idiot parents.

Faith is going to be hell on wheels.

• LOL 7
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Faith is going to be hell on wheels.

Mmm, Pearlite Lite and I have a Hong Kong-style fantasy movie called Faith and the Five Chinese Uncles.

It covers episodes in Faith's career after she tanks at one too many Euro casinos. She falls upon hard times, goes East, and hits the FanTan and MahJong tables. Here she meets the five uncles, several with cigarettes permanently lodged between front teeth. They claim to want to help her...

Comedy ensues.

• LOL 7

I kind of like the new Phyllis/Adam friendship as it is:...mostly embittered, somewhat genuine and more than a dash of plain old "misery loves company". I'd keep it--but in small doses.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5