Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: And Hell Itself My Only Foe

Nooo!  Sembene can't be dead!  And Mr. Lyle

though we see him in next week's preview so whew.

Guess those Pinkerton guys are tough since it took both Ethan & Vanessa to kill that guy.  Still pretty dumb of him to be so determined to get Ethan.  And now we have Ethan's real name (Ethan Lawrence Talbot, the Wolfman in the movie was Larry Talbot).

Ethan switching his big gun for a smaller gun for Mr Lyle -  heeee.

Ethan & Sembene doing the manly shoulder friendship grasp :(((

Vanessa is a good friend - there for Victor, the little monster, without judging.

Brona & Dorian - interesting, but whatever for now.

Oh and the WHOLE family at the wax museum is pretty nasty.  Does Caliban have the super monster strength to break himself out?

But all I can do is worry about Sembene, who needs to return with a back story episode.

Total for setup for next week, still I was on the edge of my seat.

• Love 1

A few thoughts:  This might just be the Harps I had before the airing but the Putney family better pray that it's Caliban that breaks through.  He'll just be pissed off enough to kill them quick.  If Brona/Lily decides that he's important enough to her plan to free...she'll enjoy it.

We also got a piece of Sembene's back story:  I'm guessing the slave trading that got him those marks also probably made him persona non-grata were he grew up.  Its interesting that this means that literally none of the heroes are completely free from sin as they all have various degrees of blood on their hands.  And I'll say again:  Any scene with Sembene and Ethan is pure gold.

Calling it:  Hecate lives through the finale and serves as a false lead villain for the beginning of Season 3 before biting it by episode 5.  In addition: Brona/Lily-Dorian-John Clare serve as significant villains (if not the sole villains) for Season 3. 

• Love 3

I will be so hurt if they kill Sembene. I knew where they were going as soon as they got shut in the stairwell. I'm just praying the wolf will recognize a friend and not rip his throat out completely.

It's good to see Ethan and Vanessa are pretty much ok after their tiff. I loved the way he held his hand out as they were being threatened and she quickly grabbed it. I also love that Vanessa never stands behind Ethan. She's either in front or right next to him as an equal.

What the hell was that scene between Ethan and Hecate? Did he agree to some devil's bargain because I won't be happy.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm with all of you:  They can't kill Sembene!  They just can't!!  

Maybe he lives/gets saved and turns (if we are following new tradition werewolf lore)?  Sigh.  He is such a driving force on this show.  It will break my heart if he isn't there anymore.   His scenes with all the characters, especially Ethan, are always strong.

So many of our "heroes" are in peril:

• Sir Lyle:  I was fearful that being upfront with the group, which is obviously the right thing to do, is going to get him killed.  And he's getting choked out.
  • Victor/Sir Malcolm:  Stuck in the personal hells the enchantment and their minds have created leave them helpless.  How will they get out?!
  • Ethan/Sembene:  I just can't.  That was heartbreaking to watch.

Creepy doll Vanessa is surely going to give me nightmares tonight. **Shudder**  

I'm not sure how to process that Ethan/Vanessa scene.  WTF was that?!

Once again, I'm struck by how much I adore the Vanessa/Victor friendship.  I like all too rare instances of platonic male-female friendships and theirs is one of my favorite.  They really accept each other as they are.  Broken monsters and all.

Dorian and Brona/Lily...whoa, that's an unholy alliance.  They are going to be a hell of thing and a force in the coming season.  Here hell come. 

I don't care for Caliban, but the Putney's are cruel, nasty people.  I hope he gets out of there soon.  How awful!  And what a nasty trick the daughter played on him.

Edited by TrininisaScorp

Let me state for the record that I think it bullshit that its been two seasons and we've gotten a sentence worth of background on Sembene. Seriously writers I could give two shits about Dorian, the only thing interesting about him is the women involved with him. I'm going full Pollyanna and hope that Sembene and Ethan get to be werewolf buddies together.

• Love 8

It broke my heart when the blind bitch locked Caliban in the cell.  I'm sick of these stupid simpletons putting down poetry and denigrating Mr. Claire's good side/qualities.  But if he could in a matter of seconds plunge his hand through someone's body and out the other side, then he can escape that cell.   I'm sure he will before long, and then he won't be in a very good mood...I guess he really doesn't have anyone else, but surely being alone is better then being used.

Another heartbreaking moment was Victor's drug addiction.  It has been so sweet watching his friendship with Vanessa grow over this season.  It makes sense that she's also friends with his 'son.'  While Victor is beautiful himself, Caliban's appearance is what he's always felt like. 

I was really sick of the motif of Malcolm's dead family haunting him by last episode; it's been overdone by now, though I see that that is the overall function of the room itself.  I found it funny to hear the witch say that her primary occupation has been making these disgusting dolls--I guess it pays better then providing abortions? 

Dorian certainly has bad taste if he's willing to trust Libronily but not Angelique.  But I still think my prediction about him blackmailing Victor will come true, next episode, unfortunately.  I must say I don't really like the direction they're going with Dorian Gray anymore.  Having read both versions (i.e. including the original draft which was more overtly homosexual--before Oscar was pressured to water it down and include opium and women among Dorian's pleasures.) 

I hate the film version that came out a few years ago, and I think it will be quite sad if Dorian's backstory here ultimately has nothing to do with the book but is bound up with some 'horror' cliches about demons and etc.  Basil Halward did paint Dorian in many classical poses/settings, so I guess one of them could have been the chained god Prometheus, but that was not the original cursed painting.  I think Dorian is much better then some pathetic 'villain' trope, his story has more meaning, feeling, and depth then that, and touches on the same self-hatred that other characters here have.

I really hope that Libronily and her stupid condescending sexist shit departs from the narrative sooner then later.  Dorian obviously isn't going to put up with her for very long. 

(edited)

I know chronic idiocy is sort of the lynchpin for this season's storyline, but SERIOUSLY Y'ALL? The Scooby gang has literally not had a single instance of anything vaguely approximating victory, so they decide to storm the witch's tower all willy nilly? And Vanessa hand-delivers herself thinking that Ethan/Sembene/Victor will find out, go "oh well", and have a crumpet party? Even if Vanessa's planning to recite the Big Bad Book of Death Poetry, all Kali has to do is give her a good chop in the throat and there's that. 

Vanessa keeps offering love and forgiveness, and Ethan keeps shoving her away. But Hecate appears, doing a piss poor siren impersonation, and Ethan fails to take the opportunity of shooting her at point blank range? What? At least Vanessa's temptations made sense because it came with the face of men she loved. And why didn't Sembene give him the 411 on the Wolf of God situation? Especially in the face of imminent death/mauling. 

Thanks, Putneys, for being the stereotypical Evil Human hammer to drive Brona's offer home. The whole charade with the daughter (complete with book of poetry, as a lure, har har har!) was so over the top. Of course she had to make fun of his love of literature. What a monster! Ahh, humanity deserves to be gutted! I still don't care because Caliban murdered Van Helsing for no other reason than he was having a temper tantrum. You know, a guy who was actively saving humanity. For which he has shown 0 remorse. But of course now he will feel justified to murder even more people, cause reasons.  Agreed that if Brona finds him, she's going to to take the entire family apart by pieces and string it up as the latest attraction. 

I sort of want the Putneys to turn out to be a family of undead running a scared straight program for supernaturals too stupid to hide themselves properly. "A random blind girl asks you to go into a heavily armored cell to read a book title, and you went? Boy, no. One week's detention to think about what you've done."

Yea, so I think something demented hitches rides back on Victor's reanimated corpses. I think Bronalily would even kill Ethan for boring her with his self-loathing, and I'm pretty sure Brona straight up loved that man. Dorian will swiftly cut her down to size once being bossed around isn't fun anymore. It's been forever, did Dorian literally have to return to the painting to recover from injuries in the book? I thought it pretty much transferred instantly? If not, that's a pretty exploitable loophole. 

I died when dead Mrs. Murray deadpanned, "how like you" as Malcom tried to shout down his past.

Sembene better not die. The Pinkerton's probably not dead yet either, he'll come scrabbling back next moonlight or something. The Scotland Yard Inspector is so right, yet so irritating. Please get turned into a vampire or something so you can have an adequate load of self-loathing as compared to the rest of the cast. You are way too self-confident and at peace with yourself. 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 4

I really can't imagine Sembene dead...he's way too important AND it's such a cliche - He's the only character of color, and we're not still "killing the black guy", are we? Ethan usually tears folks to shreds, and he only bit Sembene's neck. So, I'm really counting on him either miraculously living thru the bite, or being turned into a werewolf, and the two of them tearing the witches to shreds. But it won't be the same without him, and I simply can't imagine him gone. There much more I wanna know about him. I love him. 

John Clare can NOT catch a break. We knew the family was shady, but that Lavinia surprised me, and I'm embarrassed that I fell for the "blind girl = nice girl" trick. I knew when he stepped in the cage to grab the poetry book, she was going to shut the door behind him. I knew it.

• Love 4

Okay, so the big surprise for me was Lavinia. Seriously did NOT see that one coming. (Though I got a laugh out of the fact that both Lavinia and Lily have mocked Caliban about his tedious poetry readings).

Why oh why did Vanessa not simply WAIT the extra day? She must have known the boys would notice her absence and immediately follow. And if Sembene is dead then it's indirectly her fault for not waiting for backup and Ethan's fault for not telling her about his condition when he had the chance. 

Seriously though, I'll be seriously ticked off if Sembene is dead. I watch Penny Dreadful every Monday night along with Salem (both are supernatural horror shows) and it's fun seeing the same of the tropes and patterns play out in each one. And whatayaknow? This week BOTH shows have seemingly killed off their ONLY character of colour. Are writers not aware that along with fridging the hero's girlfriend this is the most obvious, boring and offensive cliche in the book? 

And just when we get a smidgeon of backstory on the guy!

I liked the Frankenstein/Vanessa scene, but honestly - I doubt she would be extending this much sympathy to him if she knew who "his cousin" really was and what he'd done to her. 

Speaking of which, it's confirmed that Dorian knew the whole time who Brona/Lily really was, but where did she get the idea that he was immortal? Can she just sense these things now? Still, I get the feeling she's got the upper hand for the time being, which could prove interesting in future. 

Loved watching Ethan and Vanessa kill the bounty hunter together. At one point it was a systematic stabbing/kicking assault done in turn!

• Love 3
(edited)

Why oh why did Vanessa not simply WAIT the extra day? She must have known the boys would notice her absence and immediately follow. And if Sembene is dead then it's indirectly her fault for not waiting for backup and Ethan's fault for not telling her about his condition when he had the chance. 

And then Madame Kali clearly knew, or even intended, that all the others would come, so Vanessa got totally played.

I wonder if the Putneys know of any other 'freaks' to lock up, or are they just banking on finding more.

And in regard to Sembene,

I've been reading elsewhere that Danny Sapani has a new show, and therefore likely won't be back next season

Edited by helent

As soon as we started to get actual backstory on Sembene, I was pretty sure he was done for. He might as well have said he'd just bought a boat to sail around the world and was 3 days from retirement.

• Love 7
He's the only character of color, and we're not still "killing the black guy", are we?

Yes they are and I doubt it will stop anytime soon. Just last night, 3 shows, killed the only characters of color

(well, Falling Skies killed the only Black woman on the show -- and she was just a teenager -- boo)

.  Guess they thought we would ignore it as the BET Awards were on.  

• Love 2

I thought that was a great episode.

It was good to have Ethan and Vanessa back with the gang, but oh boy, what an opening sequence they had.   I was actually a little surprised at Vanessa being  so hands on in the fist fight.  Yikes, girlfriend took some blows.   It was awesome how when the guy got the knife and bought it down towards Vanessa, Ethan jumped in the way taking the blow, only to fall and begin the process of kicking the guys head in.

Though he's still got the shadow of the law looming over him because that detective sounds dedicated and motivated.

I was shocked at Brona/Lily and Dorian.   I wonder how long that alliance will last.   I was surprised he was willing to be submissive but than I remembered he is a completely selfish creature and being submissive is not something he is often.  He'll do anything if it brings some novelty to proceedings.

Loved the scene between Victor and Vanessa.   It's a surprising pairing for so many reasons to me.  His inexperience coupled with her experience,  She's buried in the supernatural while he's buried in science, she's composed to the point of coldness while I think Victor is inwardly a truly cold person.  Yet I buy their friendship and fondness for each other.

Sembene, it was cool to get some more backstory on him.   I don't need everything spelled out but it's appropriate that in his own way, he's just as big a monster as everyone else in that house (slave trader).  The promo posters were right.  It showed all of the characters with the slogan "There's some THING within us all".  There all human monsters.  It was also touching hearing him say in this house he's seen "Kindness from unkind people".    I think he's dead.  I thought it showed Wolf!Ethan ripping his throat out.   I loved Sembene but I don't mind.  If all of the characters are ever truly safe I know for a fact I'll lose interest.

• Love 2

Oh wow this show!  I love every bit of it but it takes a day or 2 to wrap my brain around it.  But for now I have this complaint:

As a fan of werewolf lore one thing that bugs me about this show is this full moon business!  Does a month pass that damn quickly on this show?  Or have the "rules" gone out the window and its Ethan changes every time there is kinda a full moon out? 

I was actually a little surprised at Vanessa being so hands on in the fist fight. Yikes, girlfriend took some blows.

Dude, the one that really looked like it hurt was when Vanessa got her head slammed to the table. Ouch.

(edited)

Oh wow this show!  I love every bit of it but it takes a day or 2 to wrap my brain around it.  But for now I have this complaint:

As a fan of werewolf lore one thing that bugs me about this show is this full moon business!  Does a month pass that damn quickly on this show?  Or have the "rules" gone out the window and its Ethan changes every time there is kinda a full moon out? 

I was trying to do the math on that, too, but I guess a month could have passed.  Ethan's changing/disappearance on the moors was early in the Little Scorpion episode, so they could easily have burned a week or two throughout the rest of that episode.  It's feasible that the beginning of this episode is a few weeks later.

Edited by islagirl
  • Love 2

Does a month pass that damn quickly on this show?

Yeah I think Ethan/Vanessa have been gone for a month basically, if only three episodes instead of four, and when you consider 9-10 were obviously planned as two part cliffhanger you could argue they were gone for a full four weeks/episodes.

I am SO bummed about Sambene, and it really is yicky, because either

the actor left for another show because they killed him off, or left for another show because they hadn't bothered to lock him down for longer, or to write him more material, so they killed him off

The trope is tiresome no matter what but the optics of this week are especially hard to take. Ugh. 

I am also wondering how Brona-Lily knew Dorian was immortal, I semi recall that she MIGHT have seen the painting (and since she was going to die anyway he didn't care), in any case I like the idea of John/Dorian/Lily taking on our Scoobies next season. Especially cause Livinia went full bitchass on poor poetic John Clare, but that's consistent with the Blind Man turning on him in the books as well.

I can't wait to see Vanessa save Sir Malcolm (assuming she does I guess, but I think it will be a nice bookend to The Master coming to her in his form)

For some reason Victor shooting up this episode really disturbed me, all those gross blown veins and holes. And still he was going for it. YEUCH.

• Love 1

My favorite part was Lyle saying the shema before entering the Witches' Castle. He lived his life in hiding but wanted to die as the person he truly is.

Words can't express how much I adore Ethan/Vanessa. I'm indifferent to them as an actual romantic pairing, but their friendship is marvelous and the writers have done an excellent job building that trust and acceptance between them. First, they're sharing cigarettes then putting up a literal united front then saying each other's first names during an argument. I also appreciated the Scoobies' non-reaction to their argument - they might not be kind people, but they never judge one another.

Oy for Dorian's knees and Bronlily's back. I guess nothing says "i can't die or feel pain" more than having sex on a marble floor. OUCH.

It can't be said enough: not Sembene!!!

• Love 6
Livinia went full bitchass on poor poetic John Clare, but that's consistent with the Blind Man turning on him in the books as well.

Oh good connection to the book!  Either way I kinda like that the writers aren't making the blind girl the stereotypical poor pitiful me/saint like character.  While I don't like what she did do to John Clare personally I do like that she has to balls to do something as bold as this. 

• Love 1

How could they not show us how Dorian "heals" himself?  Did he have to go to the painting to do so?  Bathe in the blood of children, like on Salem?  What?  You'd think that after revealing the portrait, they'd continue to give us some more bits to keep us satisfied.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Words can't express how much I adore Ethan/Vanessa. I'm indifferent to them as an actual romantic pairing, but their friendship is marvelous and the writers have done an excellent job building that trust and acceptance between them. First, they're sharing cigarettes then putting up a literal united front then saying each other's first names during an argument. I also appreciated the Scoobies' non-reaction to their argument - they might not be kind people, but they never judge one another.

I always find myself repeatedly rewinding any instance of Ethan and Vanessa calling each other by their first names.  I love it when the Victorian walls come down. 

Edited by islagirl
  • Love 2

I was shocked at Brona/Lily and Dorian.   I wonder how long that alliance will last.   I was surprised he was willing to be submissive but than I remembered he is a completely selfish creature and being submissive is not something he is often.  He'll do anything if it brings some novelty to proceedings.

I think it's true that he's willing to do it because his whole being is about obtaining new experiences. So the fact that she even began that route was probably very intriguing to him. I don't know that there would be any barriers Dorian wouldn't cross. There's also a lot of control in giving over control to someone. 

How could they not show us how Dorian "heals" himself?  Did he have to go to the painting to do so?  Bathe in the blood of children, like on Salem?  What?  You'd think that after revealing the portrait, they'd continue to give us some more bits to keep us satisfied.  

In the first season there was a brief sequence in which he went naked to the painting to heal the scratch marks that Vanessa had left in his back during sex. Apparently he just has to look at it and he's restored.

• Love 2

Vanessa's bloody lip was healed by getting in the carriage! Awesome!

She and Malcolm were stupid to run off half-cocked to Witches Central. I want Lyle to survive and open a bed & breakfast with a ruggedly handsome partner.

Bronilly biting off Dorian's ear with her big Neanderthal teeth was gross.

• Love 2

Gonna miss Sembene. Whose gonna do all the intense sitting now?

Anyone else get the vibe that Hecate is going to try and kill Vanessa instead of giving her to The Master like her mother wants?

When Vanessa arrived at the witches castle I couldn't help but think that was the politest rescue mission/home invasion ever. Until the boys arrived anyway.

The plot dictated stupid in this show/season is nearing levels where I will roll my eyes with wild abandon.

I get the vibe that the writers wanna communicate a certain level of capriciousness in Dorian's actions. The recklessness of an immortal. A potentially lethal (for others) whimsy. But it's not communicating to me, it just comes across as weird inconsistency.

Glad they avoided the disabled = good thing with Lavinia. That snipe at his poetry pretty much sealed their doom though. I'm expecting his reaction when he gets loose to cement my disgust for him. The little speech was well delivered though.

Scotland yard detective is incredibly smug. I mean he's good at his job and I kinda like him but maaaaan I wish someone would just roll their eyes and walk away when he starts getting all philosophical.

The bounty hunter's scar was suitably horrifying, even if the fact that it was a prosthetic was painfully obvious at some angles. I liked how they killed him together. That's real bonding yoh.

(edited)

Did the writers really just have Mr. Lyle make his confession OFF-SCREEN?  Oy vey.  Or did I miss something?

Edited by Xena

Scotland yard detective is incredibly smug. I mean he's good at his job and I kinda like him but maaaaan I wish someone would just roll their eyes and walk away when he starts getting all philosophical.

The bounty hunter's scar was suitably horrifying, even if the fact that it was a prosthetic was painfully obvious at some angles. I liked how they killed him together. That's real bonding yoh.

I love the looks on Ethan's face when he gets philosophical, though. We see a side of Ethan with him that we don't see with the gang.

The prosthetic was great - it really did look like that half of his face had a big claw come through.

• Love 2

You know you are desensitized to violence on tv when Vanessa and Ethan's stab, kick in the face, stab, kick in the face murder of a guy made you laugh. Also because that guy was an idiot. If some guy did that to my face, I would be running the other direction for him, not trying to antagonize him. 

Brona's just a big weirdo now, But I guess Dorian would find that interesting with his long life. Plus the ability to heal from her violent impulses. 

Did not catch the blind girl to be in on the con. But I suppose no one on his show is actually a nice person. 

That Detective is annoying, can he please get caught in the crossfire of the supernaturals he's so interested in what putting in jail? What's his plan, to out Ethan and cause mass panic? 

• Love 1

But I suppose no one on his show is actually a nice person. 

Except for Professor Lyle. Professor Lyle is almost completely nice. Which probably means he's going to die horribly.

• Love 1

Well, he was tricking the supernatural team and working with the witches at first. He just had a change of heart when he got to know them. But, yeah, he's not as bad as most of them. 

He was working with the witches due to blackmail, I don't think that makes him a bad person. Plus he confessed his role, and is risking his life and reputation to cross Kali and help the Scoobies.  

• Love 3

"I'm sorry you feel so unloved. You are a beautiful monster, and there are those who could love you and shall. Life awaits you."

'Nuff said.

IKR?!  I do enjoy watching this sweet motherly side of Vanessa this season.  I have a crazy questions though--Did we always know that Victor was a junkie?  I was totally shocked by this scene!  Perhaps he mentioned it awhile back, I can't really remember.  I do think this is the first time we've actually seen him shooting up, right?  Wow I can't believe the great sympathy I feel for him =(.  Good job on the actor's part portraying such emotions.

As far as Sembene goes I think he is actually dead.  I rewatched this episode and you can see the blood coming out of this mouth and his eyes rolling in the back of his head so I would guess yeah he is gone.  I really liked his character but the writers never really gave him any depth.  For him to mention that he was a slave trader (WOW) and then nothing else just left me wanting more.  I feel that info should have been revealed last season or the beginning of this.  No fair to just reveal that and kill the character--so many unanswered questions remain.

Speaking of Sembene did you guys notice he didn't try to run away from Ethan?  He just sat there and let him attack him, as if he wanted to die?  He had an escape route (I think) he could have gotten away or at least tried to but IDK, it seemed like he wanted to die.  *shrug*

To me he was sacrificing himself for the cause. He says as much to Ethan when he stops him from killing himself.

We saw Frankenstein shoot up in the possession episode last season and he talked about it with Sir Malcolm then. He seems to have gone downhill very quickly.

I am dreading the whole Brona/Dorian supernatural Bonnie and Clyde arc that is bound to happen next season. I liked Dorian's ambiguity and his touches of humanity. After the murder of lovely Angelique he is now cardboard cutout sociopath in my eyes.

So is Brona. Yawn.

• Love 5

I am dreading the whole Brona/Dorian supernatural Bonnie and Clyde arc that is bound to happen next season. I liked Dorian's ambiguity and his touches of humanity. After the murder of lovely Angelique he is now cardboard cutout sociopath in my eyes.

So is Brona. Yawn.

I dread it too. Billie Piper's big, prognathic mouth gives me nightmares. Why is it that Caliban is icy cold and does look like a reanimated corpse whereas Bronilly can pass for regular human? And why is she so eloquent now? Caliban educated himself whereas suddenly the ex-prostitute talks like a lady and uses big words.

• Love 3

So is Brona. Yawn.

If Brona/Lily and Co. are the Big Bad next season, do we think she might happen to stumble across Ethan and Vanessa out somewhere and go even more batshit than she already has?  Remember when she was poor little prostitute Brona and lost it at the Gran Guignol when they were chatting with Dorian and Vanessa?

Also because that guy was an idiot. If some guy did that to my face, I would be running the other direction from him, not trying to antagonize him.

Yeah, I don't get this. For one thing, both times he's confronted Ethan, he has talked in circles around what actually happened, leaving it ambiguous what he actually knows. He certainly knows Ethan attacked him, he presumably knows Ethan transformed into some kind of beast, but does he know about werewolves and when and why they transform into beasts? I was kind of annoyed by his dancing around the issue with Vanessa standing there. Why not just say "Do you know your boyfriend here is a monster? He turns into some kind of wolf-beast."

I also don't get when exactly everyone became aware of the fact that Evelyn/Madame Kali is the Grand High Witch that's been causing all the problems this season. She and Vanessa played a sort of cat-and-mouse game at Dorian's ball that almost suggested Vanessa already knew. It almost feels like everyone knew all along except Malcolm until he broke the spell she'd cast over him. Yet Lyle never confessed until this very episode, and that was after Victor had already picked up Vanessa and Ethan and told them Malcolm had gone "to the witch's castle." 

Which, by the way, conjured the image of Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion standing in the forest looking at a sign that reads "Witches Castle One Mile. I'd Turn  Back If I Were You."

• Love 1

We also got a piece of Sembene's back story:  I'm guessing the slave trading that got him those marks also probably made him persona non-grata were he grew up.  Its interesting that this means that literally none of the heroes are completely free from sin as they all have various degrees of blood on their hands. 

After he admitted that, I started taking note of our "heroes" sins.

Sir Malcolm raped his way through a good part of Africa.

Sembene was a slave trader.

Ethan committed genocide.

That just leaves Vanessa and Victor.  I remember Vanessa sleeping with Mina's fiance but that's pretty weak compared to the others.  And Victor worst act seems to be abandoning Caliban, which honestly seemed to be more out of fear than malice.  Heck even killing Brona wasn't really evil in my opinion.  So should Vanessa and Victor have something in their past as horrific as the other three?

Okay, so the big surprise for me was Lavinia. Seriously did NOT see that one coming.

Neither did I.  Love that the show fooled us with the sweet blind girl trope.  I wonder if I'll feel bad for her when Caliban and/or Lily get revenge.

Why oh why did Vanessa not simply WAIT the extra day? She must have known the boys would notice her absence and immediately follow. 

This bugged me as well.  If you know your enemy is more powerful at night then why go after them at dusk.  Sir Malcolm is also guilty of this same stupidity.  And I guess pretty much every vampire hunter.

Seriously though, I'll be seriously ticked off if Sembene is dead. I watch Penny Dreadful every Monday night along with Salem (both are supernatural horror shows) and it's fun seeing the same of the tropes and patterns play out in each one. And whatayaknow? This week BOTH shows have seemingly killed off their ONLY character of colour. Are writers not aware that along with fridging the hero's girlfriend this is the most obvious, boring and offensive cliche in the book?

The worst part about "killing off the black guy" trope is that it's often accompanied by little to no attempt to flesh out the character before they die.  Sembene was a perfect example of this.  Bad form, Penny Dreadful.

Loved watching Ethan and Vanessa kill the bounty hunter together. At one point it was a systematic stabbing/kicking assault done in turn!

I really liked the choreography of the fight.  Vanessa took some brutal hits and the bounty hunter looked competent enough to handle both of them.

I think it's true that he's willing to do it because his whole being is about obtaining new experiences. So the fact that she even began that route was probably very intriguing to him. I don't know that there would be any barriers Dorian wouldn't cross.  

I imagine Dorian has some sort of sexual experience bucket list.

Woman - check

Man - check

Diseased prostitute - check

Possesed woman - check

Transgender woman - check

Undead prostitute that I already slept with - check

Werewolf (gotta remember to call Ethan on the next full moon)

• Love 6

Oh guys!

Guys!

Guys!

Guys. And gals.

The dinosaur died when the mammoths started hunting? Mammoth claws? Was that a thing back then? They thought mammoths were hunters? Or were sabrecats or something just called mammoths for a while? Cuz if it's kosher with the timeframe I still found it kinda funny. Hecate was trying to be all intimidating and stuff and she's comparing herself to a grazer.

• Love 1

As a Victor/Vanessa fan, this season has been an absolute dream for me. The shopping trip, the promise that she'd take him out drinking if he gets dumped. Yes. Then came this episode's settee scene and I just about died. They are so beautiful together. I know it's platonic, but I love that, too. I just love watching them be so sweet together. What they have is rather fraternal with a side of teasing on her part, but there's a little frisson because they aren't actually related, and they know it. I think he plays it that he has a kernel of a crush on her but knows it's not going to happen and is totally cool with just being her little bro and friend, and she plays it like she knows and thinks it's cute but it's also not happening. 

I'm sad Ethan is back in the city, because his country wardrobe was everything. His reaction of "Oh, for fuck's sake" when told that Vanessa had gone off on her own was amazing. I rewound three times. 

I wonder how many takes Reeve Carney had to do to get the "I've held balls, as you know," line out with a straight face. 

I laughed hysterically when the group split up into Victor & Lyle, and Ethan & Sembene. Haha, Victor and Lyle are the MOST useless, though adorable. I was half afraid Victor would accidentally shoot Lyle.

I have no idea what's going on with Dorian. I have thought all season that he is Lucifer. I thought we found that out last week. I thought the picture was of Lucifer chained up. I thought Brona was his recruit as he builds an army of the dead. I thought it made sense that he is Lucifer, Ethan is the hound, and Vanessa is the bride, because the verbis diablo did say that the three of them would circle one another endlessly, and that's what we've got in a way, with Brona tied up in their chase, what with all of them having fucked. But now it seems like Brona is trying to recruit HIM. I didn't understand at all. I also wanted it a little more explicit when exactly her memory came back and for how long she has been playing dumb for Victor. That entire plotline is so confusing.

• Love 2

Why is it that Caliban is icy cold and does look like a reanimated corpse whereas Bronilly can pass for regular human?

Well I have been under the impression Caliban was made from parts, and both Proteus and Bronilly were just reanimated as is, and he's been improving his method, such as it is.

• Love 5

Well I have been under the impression Caliban was made from parts, and both Proteus and Bronilly were just reanimated as is, and he's been improving his method, such as it is.

Yes, although I bet Brona still needed a new heart and lungs, as I bet hers were pretty shot.

Oh guys!

Guys!

Guys!

Guys. And gals.

The dinosaur died when the mammoths started hunting? Mammoth claws? Was that a thing back then? They thought mammoths were hunters? Or were sabrecats or something just called mammoths for a while? Cuz if it's kosher with the timeframe I still found it kinda funny. Hecate was trying to be all intimidating and stuff and she's comparing herself to a grazer.

I think she said mammals, not mammoths. 

I really can't wait for Ethan to tear Hecate's limbs apart.

She's just too damn smug for me.