Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Night Finds You

• Start Topic

(edited)

I could not help to think that I have seen bits and pieces of this season somewhere before.  Then it hit me.  This was a 21st century version of Boardwalk Empire with sprinkles of the Wire added to it.  

This season had gangster who wanted to turn legit and double-crossed by people close to him, corrupt mayor / politician, creepy mother, troubled cops (anger or addiction issues).  The only difference (so far) was Rachel McAdams character.

When Ani & psychiatrist talked about the commune and children, I immediately flashed back to the creepy cult from season 1.  I would not be surprised if her commune was established by member(s) of that cult who moved west.

I kept expecting CS Lee to say something wildly inappropriate a la Masuka and it never happened.  Masuka was the only reason I endured the last 2 seasons of Dexter (shame! shame!)

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yes, he was nice.  He performed at an event and there was a meet and greet.  He even hung out at the after party at a local bar for a little while.  I'll have to watch the episode again to see his scene.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1

The true mystery is why the traffic always seems to be moving steadily on LA freeways.

An homage to 24 - Jack Bauer never had to drive more than 10 minutes.

• Love 1

The rat monologue was so painful. And then the segue from the water spots to the burnt out eyes was just a little too on the nose. I'm pretty close to deciding that I'm just a McConnaughy and Harrelson fan and not a fan of this show. But the scenes just with Farrell and McAdams are still interesting to me. Such a quandary! Do I stay or do I go?

• Love 1

I could not figure out who Rick Springfield was until I looked it up after.  I was shocked.

It looked like a lot of photos of Clint Eastwood in the background when Paul was talking to his mother.  She wanted him to stay over and watch Clint with her. She obviously has quite the Clint crush.

I expect Ani's sister was involved with Casper in some way.  Maybe her dad (David Morse) will turn out to be the killer.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Ani told Rick Springfield;s character that there were 5 kids at the cult place.  2 are now in prison, 2 committed suicide, and 1 became a detective.  Her sister is still alive (as far as we know), so did she go to jail from the webcam raid? 

The performances are great.  Colin Farrell is interesting to me.  He can play just about any kind of character there is and get away with it - good, bad, comical, etc.

Vince V. is a good actor I think.  He's made his way through comedies so it's a little disconcerting to see him in a dark drama.  He's holding his own, though and of all the stories, I'm probably most interested in his.  I'm having a harder time accepting Rachel M. as a bad-ass cop.

Taylor K's story is still the one we know least about.  I think his dialogues is a little weak but his acting is carrying him through.  Observation that could mean nothing, but  his frame matches that of the person who shoots Colin Farrell.  His story has yet to unfold - unlike those of the other characters.  Maybe there is a reason.

Edited by Jextella
(edited)

Love Colin Farrell in this.  Actually started watching Season 1 after watching this episode and found McConnaughy cheesy as all get out but maybe that season gets better. 

Edited by jimene79
  • Love 1

Athena probably went to jail on a drug charge or five, since Ani said something about her being better off using than being a cam whore and both her and their dad commenting on Athena actually having a job.

Personally Rachel McAdams makes the most believable cop of the bunch, as well as the only actual investigator in the room.

• Love 3
(edited)

With Rachel, Colin, and Taylor on the case, I'm reminded of when Tom Cruise in "A Few Good Men" when he figures out why he is on the case instead of accomplished trial lawyers....the marines thought he'd get them to do a plea deal and walk away.

Which of these 3 is an actual investigator?  And, why an alcoholic and a motorcycle cop with existing problems on the force of his own?  Rachel may be someone of rank given her role in the raid, but if she's a detective, why was she involved in the raid?  Don't detectives come in after the fact to try to figure stuff out?

And, it seems odd that these 3 people - each with tenuous jurisdiction and rank - are assigned to a rather big case from 3 different areas (Rachel is from the County, Colin is from the state, I believe...could be wrong about that one; and I'm not sure about Taylor but it's a 3rd and different area).

Edited by Jextella

If you actually watch the episode you'd note that, when a task force features one actual detective, one through and through corrupt detective of an industrial town of 100 odd residents, and a highway patrolman, that task force is being set up to fail.  This is literally stated in the text.

And yes, Sheriff's Detectives (what Ani is) do personally participate in raids.

• Love 1

Love Colin Farrell in this.  Actually started watching Season 1 after watching this episode and found McConnaughy cheesy as all get out but maybe that season gets better. 

I'm not the biggest McConnaughy fan by any means, but I did like him in season 1 of TD.   Although, Woody's acting and his character were far more intriguing for my tastes.  The show does get better after ep1 (imo).

• Love 3

Maybe I glazed over a bit because it was a Vince Vaughn scene, but can anyone tell me who the guy was who Frank's guys ran into and threatened, and then Frank came over and indirectly threatened?  I don't want to have to re-watch, but I'm trying to keep the storyline straight and have no idea who that guy was.

We didn't get a name for that guy, but apparently he's an illegal book maker (I took it to mean Frank suspected that guy was one of the outside interests that the Mayor would give the Poker Room to).

With Rachel, Colin, and Taylor on the case, I'm reminded of when Tom Cruise in "A Few Good Men" when he figures out why he is on the case instead of accomplished trial lawyers....the marines thought he'd get them to do a plea deal and walk away.

Which of these 3 is an actual investigator?  And, why an alcoholic and a motorcycle cop with existing problems on the force of his own?  Rachel may be someone of rank given her role in the raid, but if she's a detective, why was she involved in the raid?  Don't detectives come in after the fact to try to figure stuff out?

And, it seems odd that these 3 people - each with tenuous jurisdiction and rank - are assigned to a rather big case from 3 different areas (Rachel is from the County, Colin is from the state, I believe...could be wrong about that one; and I'm not sure about Taylor but it's a 3rd and different area).

Close - you're correct, Rachel is from the county (Sheriff's office), but Colin Farrell is from the town (Vinci), and Taylor is from the state (he's California Highway Patrol, which I think technically is a state agency)

• Love 2