Type keyword(s) to search

Catastrophe - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was pleasantly surprised that voiceover man at the end of the finale said that S2 is coming later this year.

I guess they want to get it done in case Horgan's HBO show is picked up and she's too busy with that?

Edited by ApathyMonger
  • Love 1

They said on Norton that the show was picked up for two seasons straight away, but maybe this has something to do with it? I hadn't heard of her getting an HBO show but that's awesome news. LOVE Sharon Horgan.

• Love 1

They said on Norton that the show was picked up for two seasons straight away, but maybe this has something to do with it? I hadn't heard of her getting an HBO show but that's awesome news. LOVE Sharon Horgan.

Just a pilot now, but yeah. I think she's just writing it; Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Haden Church are the leads.

• Love 2

I am so amazingly happy that this show is now available in the US.  My boyfriend introduced me to it this spring and I've been waiting to share it with people.  It is truly one of the most brilliant shows I have seen in a long time.  I can't wait for the next season!

• Love 3

I binge watched it as soon as it was available and subsequently convinced a few friends to watch it. As they have begun to watch it, I find myself re-watching it so I can enjoy it again with them. Sharon Horgan is amazing - witty, sharp and emotional at the right times. I want to watch every thing she has ever done now; she's just that brilliant. I just finished re-watching Episode 4 where she has the amnio and then ends with her seeing the mother/daughter curbside at the airport. It's one of those scenes that makes this show so fantastic - it breaks out all the feels.

• Love 2

My BF & I binged the show over the July 4th weekend. We totally loved it! I plan on watching it again this weekend while he's out with his friends (don't tell him!). It was so nice to see a real couple who were learning how to relate to each other with minimal amounts of drama. My BF did say at one point, that Rob was making it really hard for all men out there! The show is well-written, well-acted, funny, witty, and clever.

There were so many great lines that we are already quoting to each other, which has only upped the "lord, they are so weird together" with our friends! I've followed Rob on Twitter forever so I was already familiar with him and I love his sense of humor. Sharon is new to me, but I love her. I plan to look up her other work. 

I both loved and hated that we only had 6 episodes. Obviously, I want more and more, it's SO good! But I know you can't maintain excellent quality over hundreds of episodes. 

Can not wait for season 2!

Yea, I did also say what the f is she wearing when she showed up at the wedding! lol.

Don't know where this goes in the thread but I saw this really interesting interview with Rob & Sharon: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/27/catastrophe-rob-delaney-sharon-horgan-amazon

• Love 3

Since one of their main intents was to show what happens to a couple when they have children, I don't think they're going to kill the kid. 

You're right. i know you're right. I just surprised at how cliff-hangy the ending was right after the fight.

I did see in the EW article that there's a time gap between the season 1 cliffhanger events and the events in first episode of season 2. So now I wonder if the baby will have already been born or not. A lot of women think their water broke when it hadn't actually.

The dialog is cracking.

However did she cast a big hairy brawny guy as the lead because he was going to be such a pussy, er nice guy, for most of the season?

Like Horgans Pulling, I loved it. The last scene felt totally out of place though, manufacturing a cliff hanger for season 2. As an aside, the male lead looks like Will Farell from the nose down, Tuc Watkins from there up.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 2

Agree with previous post--loved this right up until the last five minutes. The reason these two have worked is because they both have a good sense of humor and take things in stride. I could get that the reality of being married might be the catalyst for a scuffle, but Rob went from being a generally nice guy to saying things I would consider unforgivable--and then he doubles down on them. I also don't understand if it means we are supposed to think Sharon is the awful negative person he describes, and the dialogue is all weighted towards him attacking her for being whiny. She makes the crack about his job, but spends most of the fight defending herself. It was very uncomfortable. If I was with someone who SUDDENLY displayed all this resentment and hatefulness towards me that they'd seemingly been choking back for months, I don't think I would want to be there anymore. And we had no hint this was coming on his part, or if we did I missed it.

• Love 2

Only just discovered this show last night (17/10/15) and binge watched it all.

Very good.  Well written and funny.

Liked both the actors and the cast.  Looking forward to season 2.

Edited by JohnnyBravo

Funniest episode yet? I laughed out loud throughout the whole thing. The baby's name, the dog, the cake. Everything. I liked the time jump, and the postpartum depression storyline (if there will be one) seems interesting. I wonder if Ashley Jensen will be back?

• Love 1

I did like the surprise of the time jump, but I worry that they've blown up the original premise of the show too much. Part of the delight of Season 1, for me, was in watching these two people forced into intimacy by the unplanned pregnancy. It was an anti-rom com rom com. Is the show now just more about harried parents who fight, quite viciously sometimes, and have odd friends and troublesome parents? It could still subvert the family com, but it could also just become...like every other family com. 

• Love 2

I still love it and think it's hilarious, but I was quite shocked at the time jump. Frankly, one of the things I loved about the first season was the newness of the relationship and them getting to know each other and their friends and everything. I thought dealing with a new baby for the first time would be great material for them to do.

• Love 1

Overall I thought it was a strong second season. I guess we got so much of American guy to draw a parallel when Rob began to spiral downward.

I was just slightly confused by the ending--hadn't Rob and Sharon had sex the day after her blackout bar sex? In other words, was there any reason for him to see the plan B and automatically assume infidelity? Wouldn't he just assume she took it to avoid pregnancy after their makeup sex? I know we heard them discuss contraception but I didn't think they'd agreed on anything. (Oh God, I'm now remembering Sharon looking through her clothes from the night before and trying to decide something I'm not totally clear on, because I've never had a morning after like that. Oh God.)

• Love 2

Sharon was smelling her underwear to try to see if she'd had sex with the guy.

I don't think we got resolution to the birth control thing because if we had either she had an IUD, ergo Plan B wasn't needed OR Rob got a vasectomy in which case their sex wouldn't matter but I would think they would have made something out of him having surgery of that nature.

Binge watched last night. Have to say, I was shocked how Rob seemed to imply his good natured, take things on stride nature was done to "do the right thing" in the last five minutes of the finale. That really felt out of character as he hadn't really resorted to telling her about her "neuroses" any of the other times outside of finding the humor in it and getting her to laugh about it.

I really hope it was an example of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. I really don't want them to spend season 2 bickering and regretting their path to marriage.

• Love 1

Do they have a different attitude toward drinking during pregnancy in the UK than in the US.? I was surprised that nobody objected to Sharon's drinking (not surprised that she drank while preggers since she is an alcoholic in denial) especially Rob.

Do they have a different attitude toward drinking during pregnancy in the UK than in the US.? I was surprised that nobody objected to Sharon's drinking (not surprised that she drank while preggers since she is an alcoholic in denial) especially Rob.

Yes - the guidelines about drinking during pregnancy are very different in the UK than they are in the US.

• Useful 1

I loved season 1 but I stopped watching after episode 1 of season 2. The way they handled the dog dying was one of the worst things I've ever seen on TV. It was NOT funny and I found it insulting like hell. Shame on them.

• Love 4

Yes. I still didn't take it as a personal insult that one died in a comedy show. I'm sorry it made you feel that way, though.

People who care so little for THEIR dog dying should be forbidden to own a dog in the first place. Stupid show. Woke up bad memories for no reason.

• Love 2