Type keyword(s) to search

Month of Zen: Saying Good-bye

(edited)

January 2008. The economy has collapsed. I feel sick just revisiting it.

I'd forgotten that for a while it was A Daily Show and the explanation must've been given while I was sleeping because I have no idea why they did that.

ETA: It was the writers' strike.

Edited by ABay

Alright, even though I wasn't a full-fledged TDS viewer until 2012, 2008 was perhaps the finest year for TDS and my personal favorite, not just because of Jon, Indecision 2008, or Obama when he became Presidential Elect, but for all the butt-jokes the news networks' brought for branding their intrepid correspondents, coverage, and high-tech hijinks that spawned more attention to "The Best F@%#Kin' News Team Ever". It was also the year I was first exposed to Jon, Stephen, AND Conan (when NBC loved him) when they pulled off that Late Night Show Battle Royale over Huckabee during the Writer's Strike.

Nah...2008 was good, but nothing can beat 2004 for me. You had an All-Star cast of correspondents, the material was biting every night, Stewart was hitting his stride as a host for the first time. It was a perfect storm of events that culminated in their InDecision 2004 coverage, which really put The Daily Show on the map.

• Love 1

Wow, already jumped to July 28, 2008, and that one segment with Rob Riggle and Ollie-Scone doing a double-piece on the Oil Crisis. I feel like anyone you pair Ollie-Scone with result in something ingenious and hilarious, though I still prefer him working with Jason Jones. Riggle/Oliver shippers can call me out if they'd like to. 

Son of a bitch! Election night 2008 played while I was sleeping.

In that stupid Twizzler ad, is that girl being electrocuted at the end? Having a seizure? Just naturally s******?

• Love 2
(edited)

I went to bed, then work and suddenly Obama has been president for four months.

Things I learned from the show today: Kindle seems like kind of a scam; Tom Selleck is as bad with sheep as he is with water and thinks it's a joke; I did not notice until just now when he signed the Canada guest book (like a wedding!) that Obama is a lefty; in retrospect John Oliver was an obvious vacation replacement - the ease and chemistry he has with Jon during this year (mostly his deft and affectionate skewering of Jon being a subpar Oscar host compared to Hugh Jackman) portrays them as partners instead of the host/correspondent relationship he had with the other long time people.

ETA:

John Oliver used to look like this on TV all the time:

0r4vmgj.jpg

John Oliver showed his forearms that one time:

iWzNcy5.jpg

And then saw them in the monitor and immediately hid them forever.

AAAJfFQ.jpg

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 2
(edited)

Elizabeth Warren's first visit is on right now. I want to be her when I grow up.

ETA: Ooh! First sighting of the Craig T. Nelson "I was on food stamps, no one helped me out" clip. Ha!

Edited by ABay

UGH. Betsey McCaughey and her inability to find the "dangerous" language in the health bill dealing with "death panels."

Loved Jon calling her reading of it "hyberbolic and dangerous."

Moron, couldn't even find her "proof" in the pages she cited and Jon had to go to commercial.  And even after returning from break, Jon proves her for the moron she is.

• Love 1

Is anyone else having problems with their connection while watching? This morning, every time I opened another window and tried to email or whatever, my Xfinity Gateway lost connection and went through a reset. It happened yesterday morning, too. I'm waiting to see if it happens right now, too.

John Oliver used to look like this on TV all the time:

0r4vmgj.jpg

I don't know what the report was on, but Ollie looks deliberately "Pottered up" in that first image.

I don't know what the report was on, but Ollie looks deliberately "Pottered up" in that first image.

The top photo was from one of his first appearances, if not the first. Bad haircut and ill-fitting suits seemed to be kind of his thing for a while. 

yz8gE4L.jpg

ioBhvA3.jpg

Also, Rob Corddry should be getting residuals for #prattkeeping:

MMC7jLG.jpg

(edited)

February 2010--Man, I remember the number of storms, and being stuck at home, unable to go to work. And this was in the DC/MD/VA area.  Every three years or so, we get huge storms. I think that was the last "BIG" one, though.

GIngrich is SUCH an ass.

Love Lewis Black as always.

And I just LOVE the friendship between Jon and Stephen.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Am I the last person to figure out that the digital red globe over Jon's desk is sometimes just random words? Some time a few days ago I noticed it (2008ish?) and didn't see it again until today because 2009 merited the demotion of back ground noise. But I glanced up today and: "galoshes".

I also couldn't stop chuckling at Aasif pronouncing the word cheesesteak for 30 seconds straight and it was great to see his excellent run of "Team" segments with Wyatt again.

The episode with the 9/11 first responders talking about the Republican Senators blocking the Zadroga bill is on. Fucking Republicans. And go fuck yourself Huckabee.

• Love 3

Sniff. Seeing Steve Carell on as a guest talking about all the love for "papa bear" Jon and sense of home coming back to TDS was lovely. SC also suggested a reunion show, which I sincerely hope is an idea they will be using as a blueprint for the last show (or four).

• Love 3

Sniff. Seeing Steve Carell on as a guest talking about all the love for "papa bear" Jon and sense of home coming back to TDS was lovely. SC also suggested a reunion show, which I sincerely hope is an idea they will be using as a blueprint for the last show (or four).

Awwww, I missed that episode. Jon was telling Steve how they'd gather everyone in the studio audience into a pile for all the correspondents, past and present, to fuck.

I remembered that because I was in the studio audience at the time.

(edited)

Another thing really standing out while binge-watching: That one guy's laugh that is in every fricking episode. It must be someone on the staff because no one, not even our own most dedicated poster-attendees, are at that many shows.

Edited by ABay
(edited)

Egh, all these jokey/braggy Brian Williams interviews are painful to watch. But yay for the tongue-in-cheek Leonard Nimoy narrated package about Romney's life. And also the show's subtitle for the 2012 RNC in Tampa being "The Road to Jeb Bush 2016." Nailed it. The Ferrell/Galifianakis/Hamm comedy team giving Jon crap about being terrible at interviews made me grin. A few screencaps collected during the last couple days of viewing:

Steve and Jon holding hands like teenaged girls:

6erPFxC.jpg

Paul Rudd as Jon's first test guest looking older than today?

L5muf8z.jpg

The forearms made a return after all:

p0UGFjd.jpg

That time there was a march and news media outlets forbade their employees from attending, even on their personal time:

xtXBajG.jpg

Rob Corddry's first return as a guest (yes, this picture features a bong allegedly belonging to Ed Helms, agiant dildo, a 7 year old frappucino and a book about Hitler):

XzZAzHp.jpg

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 1
(edited)

I missed the conventions and the awesome BULLSHIT! MOUNTAIN, Election Night 2012, but am loving and laughing uncontrollably at the next night's coverage.

ETA: Watching December 3, 2012--Jon's rant about how there is NOT a War against Christmas to the Fox nimwits is a thing of beauty. Especially the example of the Flinstones' Christmas cartoon.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

June 4, 2013: Brian Williams is on for the 93th time before Jon's sabbatical journey to Jordan filming Rosewater. Anyone wanna bet that he's gonna make a cameo on Jon's last show?

June 6, 2013: Jon's last day before going to Jordan as well as handing the hosting chair to John Oliver. Anyone wanna bet (again) that the Month of Zen isn't gonna air any episodes with Ollie-Scone as the sub host?

Update: Yeah, they skipped all of Ollie-Scone's episodes.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie

June 6, 2013: Jon's last day before going to Jordan as well as handing the hosting chair to John Oliver. Anyone wanna bet (again) that the Month of Zen isn't gonna air any episodes with Ollie-Scone as the sub host?

You appear to have won that bet (not that anyone bet against you).

It went straight from:

L3pBIBr.jpg

TO

IN3wSNU.jpg

With a side of:

OsNdOmK.jpg

For some reason, I have no problem with those images, except for the nostalgia of Stephen and Ollie-Scone who have already left Comedy Central, and Jonny-bun is next!! T_T 

Still can't believe this is the last week and the Month of Zen is more than halfway done with 2013...

Bill Cosby episode from Nov 2013 on now.

Another thing that I've really noticed during the marathon: Jason Jones is perhaps the most versatile correspondent.

They just ran John Oliver's last episode. Awww, Was he really there 7 and 1/2 years? It didn't seem that long.

Edited by ABay

Was it here or somewhere else that I read the finale would include clips of Jon's "targets" getting the chance to tell him to fuck off. Fuckface von Clownstick likely to be one.

Edited by ABay

According to this interview with The Daily Show producers, Donald Trump definitely wont show up: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/29/daily-show-producers-jon-stewarts-last-show-donald-trump-not-coming

Trump is obviously not going to show up when he's in Cleveland preparing for that night's debate at the time of the Daily Show taping.

But I would not be suprrised if he sends in a 30-second pre-taped message for the hate-montage the producers want to do.

So, does anyone know if the livestreaming will continue to stream and loop back from the beginning again? Or will it be taken down once it catches up to the finale?

I'd love to catch the ones I missed.

I can't see them distracting people from Trevor Noah by keeping Stewart broadcasts looping for another month. They're ALREADY going to have enough trouble convincing people to watch Noah, and there are already going to be comparisons they're going to want minimized. Edited by Kromm