Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: 5-Year Storm (1)

• Start Topic

The most menacing storm of the opilio season moves in on the fleet. A rogue wave hits the Cape Caution, ripping steel and timber. The Saga, captained by rookie Jake Anderson, nearly capsizes by a massive 40 ft wave.

The Saga, captained by rookie Jake Anderson, nearly capsizes by a massive 40 ft wave.

Except that doesn't really happen in this episode.   It's next week's teaser.

Somebody ought to be sued or at the very least flogged for permitting Jake Anderson, an untested captain even on calm seas, to take that boat out in grave storm conditions, and worse, to keep it out there under those conditions when it's in need of repair.

I have a feeling that white-out on deck will be haunting Jake's nightmares for some years to come.

• Love 1

Auntl - I agree. I also think Jake did ok. However he sure did a lot of talking to the camera. The guys on the Cape Caution did a great job of making repairs in horrible conditions. As usual, disco loves to make drama:  Jake gets undersized crab, will the boat survive the break down and so on.

I like The Bait this week - it was fun to see the quiz between John and Andy and Casey and Josh.

• Love 3

One thing that Jake needs to ease up on is being overly concerned with the crew's opinion.  The back up captain (I cant remember his name) was right to tell him that Jake needed to stop worrying about how tough it was on deck for the deckhands, he had to think of the bigger picture.  Jake is still thinking like a deckhand, which is understandable since he's new to the captain's chair, but he needs that separation.  How many times have we seen the captains pushing the deckhands to get he catch in?  I remember Sig lying to his crew about how much sleep they got to get them back to work.

• Love 3

Was Jake talking to the camera or the backup captain who'd also be sitting on Jake's left?  Or maybe both.  I've always liked Jake and I think he did pretty good last night considering everything that was going on but I never realized just how lacking in confidence he really is.  I think that's why he kept talking to the camera or captain or both; it's almost like he has to say it out loud to get himself to believe it and even better if someone answers to confirm he's right.  Like on some level he knows he's making the right choice but he still has to constantly look for validation.  If he did one thing wrong I'd say it was jumping the gun wanting to go back to Dutch before really trying to fix the leak at sea which sort of goes back to that unsure of himself thing, if he was on the Northwestern he would have fixed it just like he did on the Saga, the only difference is he wouldn't be the one making the call to fix or turn back (confidence in his decisions).

• Love 3

Linderhill - Your right. Jake needs to start acting like a captain. How many times have we seen Casey tell Josh the same thing.

Sigmaforce - I agree. I have never seen any guy on the show question their self more than Jake. His lack of confidence is sad. I do like the guy(can't remember his name) who is the co-captain. He seems like a calm and confident guy and is good for Jake.

• Love 1

I think Jake just needs time.  This was his first time in the captain's chair.  I doubt any of those older captains were 100% sure of themselves when they first sat in the captain's chair.  It's just that we're privy to Jake's thoughts since he verbalizes them.  

• Love 4

Jake has been on the show apparently almost as long as he's been a crab fisherman.  (Remember him getting his NW jacket?)  The cameras are part of his life on the boats.  He'll be fine.  I sure wouldn't have wanted a camera following me around the first time I was left alone to do a job I'd just been promoted to.

• Love 2

Since I've given Josh such a rough time for not really being a captain with Casey doing all the heavy lifting, I need to be fair and acknowledge that Jake has his own backseat driver/captain.  Though given the teaser clip of that guy panic-screaming "What do I do?!" perhaps he's not as big a help as Casey is to Josh.  Hopefully he was just there to help Jake become accustomed to the Saga's idiosyncrasies, since Jake hadn't had the benefit of handling her in better weather.  But I do wonder.

On The Bait, the tension between Andy and John is palpable, isn't it?  Yikes.

• Love 6

I think Jonathan might still be upset with Andy for firing Scotty.  Jonathan sided with Andy because Andy was the captain and Jonathan put the business first.  I think it was shitty of Scotty to put his father in that position, he has to know how close the brothers are.  The book "Time Bandit" really explains their relationship.  

• Love 3
(edited)

On The Bait it sounded like Andy was not going to be on the boat, instead he'd be "running the business".  Which is a surprise, considering Jonathan's health issues.  I'll bet there's a story there - more than just the Scotty issue.

I'm sure a lot of Jake's talking to the camera is prompted by the on board producer's questions.  He hasn't learned to tell the cameraman "Not now" like the rest of the Captains have.  :-)

That storm is getting very dangerous.  I hope no one was injured.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 1

Maybe I'm missing something, but don't most captains start on smaller boats and work their way up? For example, a few years ago there was a show on salmon fishing and I saw some of the crab fishermen doing that. The boats are a lot smaller, but at least you get experience being a captain.

I can be fairly certain that Josh hasn't put in any work in other fisheries, but has Jake? It's like that girl on the show. She had experience fishing before, so she wasn't overwhelmed like other greenhorns. You would think the same thing applies to boat captains.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yes, Jake had already been (non-crab) fishing for years (which is why Nick recommended him in the first place).  I think he fished with Nick's brother, whom we've met on the show.  Nick's brother is married to Jake's aunt (mother's sister), or something like that.  

So even though he was a greenhorn on the NW 6-7 years ago, he had been fishing before that, and Nick was confident enough in him to put him forward for a job.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 2
(edited)

iirc, one of the captains was looking at the camera, then looked outside right before a big wave. he barely had time to give a warning. an extra second or two of warning time might make a big difference next time.

why don't they have a horn button? or something a little faster than grabbing a mic , keying it on, and saying the warning? I don't mean the ship's big horn that they use to warn other ships. just a horn with a distinctive sound.

my car has a horn "button".

Edited by clod
  • Love 1

iirc, one of the captains was looking at the camera, then looked outside right before a big wave. he barely had time to give a warning. an extra second or two of warning time might make a big difference next time.

That was Keith.  "Blah, blah, blah, OOH!  Look out!"

Keith is interesting because of the way he wears his emotions on his sleeves and how they get all tangled up with his logical thoughts.  For example, when he was talking about his greenhorn hustling on deck, which he evaluated as a very good thing, he then offered up "I can't tell you how many greenhorns I've watched just walking around the deck."  I could almost hear him say the next sentence: [through gritted teeth] "Sometimes I just want to... [makes Homer Simpson strangling Bart motion]"

If I had to guess, I would bet that Keith's rookie efforts as a captain would have been too easy on the crew, followed by them taking advantage of him, followed by him losing his mind in a fit of rage, followed eventually by the confidence you get from experience letting him strike the balance he has how.  (Which still features occasionally being too easy, and then him over-correcting in a fit of rage by the way.)

• Love 5
(edited)

FisheyJoe - Jake A. fished for salmon for years before getting the job on the NW. According to the DC book and the book on Phil, both Josh and Jake fished salmon in the summer with Grant Harris when they were kids. Jake said he first fished with his gf when he was seven. They also did salmon tendering  for 4-6 weeks with Phil every summer.

According to Mike F's FB page, he owns a boat and does salmon fishing in the summer.

It's still early, but I think Amy is doing great so far. Much better than many a greenhorn we have seen on the show.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 1

It's interesting to watch her -- Keith was really dismissive of Mandy, as I recall, telling Sig that OBVIOUSLY she wasn't really doing the minimal job he would have expected from a guy.  Wonder if he caught an earful from his daughter about that.  

It may be dawning on him that someone who's 5% slower but doesn't quit or complain might be a worthwhile tradeoff for the long haul.  At least in terms of the riffraff he's been hiring in the past -- it's not like they really went out of their way to find qualified people (or the qualified people wouldn't work for the fee offered)

• Love 3

It may be dawning on him that someone who's 5% slower but doesn't quit or complain might be a worthwhile tradeoff for the long haul.  At least in terms of the riffraff he's been hiring in the past -- it's not like they really went out of their way to find qualified people (or the qualified people wouldn't work for the fee offered)

I bet you she doesn't go on drunken benders while on shore, let alone jump half nekkid on a floating dead walrus, either.

• Love 6

Lots of rumblings out there that Jake wasn't anymore the "captain" for the Saga than Josh is of the CM.   It was all for show.  However, the fundamental difference is that Jake has tendered as much as he is allowed.  He can never get enough of helming any ship for any reason.  Also, he once again displayed excellent engineering skill in overseeing the clutch repair.  He's got it all - except the understanding of how to project authority.  

Amy is totally outperforming Mandy thus far.  

I loved the discussion on The Bait about the various advantages/disadvantages of House forward/aft, one prop or two.  Why did it take over a decade for this information to be shared with us?  Ugh.

• Love 5
(edited)

Of all the young guys/progeny I've seen on this show through the years I like Neal's kids the most.  They don't seem as smarmy or egomaniacal as others.  I hope the kid with the cut hand is doing ok and will be back on the boat.

On a related note there was a time when Nick on Cape Caution used to bother me but now I like him. Some people grow on your and some get worse.

Edited by Caria