Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Looooove. The Priiiiiide. Welcome Home.

I think we need a bingo card for the revival. Center square should be "Scully says Mulder it's Me"

Editing: I'm doing this. This is what I have so far.

Scully says Mulder it's me.

Mulder ditches Scully

Scully gets hurt

Mulder gets hurt

Scully saves Mulder

Mulder saves Scully

Mulder says something is The Key

Scully rolls her eyes

Scully fires her gun

Mulder loses his gun

Scully gets rough with a bad guy

Mulder touches Scully

Scully cries

Samantha is mentioned

If we do a 4x4 grid I need a few more. Suggestions? I can have it done and posted for the next episode. You can play as the entire season, or per episode.

Edited by DaynaPhile
  • Love 1

I just realized that I barged into these forums and started posting and I haven't really introduced myself. How rude. 

I started this show in the very beginning when I was 27. I had two little kids that were too young at that time to watch the show with me and a husband that watched it with me sometimes but he wasn't into it like I was. He did go see the first movie with me though, like a good hubby :) I'm mostly a lurker but I was seriously obsessed with this show and that obsession is back so I want to break out of my shell and start posting more. I had nobody to talk to about the show with back then because I was a stay at home mom and none of my friends watched. I didn't have a computer until 1997 and I didn't know there were people talking about TV shows online until 1999. I thought the internet was just for buying things off of ebay, lol. The X-files forums at TWoP were the first place I found and I found them through finding Jessica's recaps which are still one of my favorite things ever. So funny. I just lurked there too until 2001 when I finally registered. I still think I only maybe posted twice in the X-files forums but I sure did love reading them 'cause the damn mytharc just confused me so much. 

So, Hi! everyone, glad to be here.

• Love 2

Welcome "home" festivus!  You're with family now.  ;)

I didn't have a computer until 1997 and I didn't know there were people talking about TV shows online until 1999. I thought the internet was just for buying things off of ebay, lol.

OMG, yes.  I still remember when I first stumbled across an XF message board.  My oldest was still a baby so it was probably around the same time as you.  It opened up a whole new world for me.  Even though my husband is the one who first got me started watching the show, he has never been the ravingly obsessed fan that I am, heh.

I just love that we can still sit here, almost 20 years later, and discuss this incredible show.

I remember discussing XF (and the soap opera I was watching at the time, heh) on the Prodigy bulletin boards in 1994 ('92 or '93 for the soap, then XF when I started watching in season two).  And my first foray beyond Prodigy to the world-wide web was to atxf (alt.tv.x-files newsgroup), where my ass was parked immediately following each episode for several years.  Then I ventured into the burgeoning world of fanfic (atxfc and then the archives that started popping up - Tinman, Sparky's, and, of course, Gossamer), downloading stories onto a disc to read later, because our dial-up modem was so slow.  Oh, and I think in the very beginning of Prodigy we only had a certain number of minutes per month.  Good times.

Oh, and Prodigy gave you a random username made up of letters and numbers (I think you could later change it to something of your own), and mine had XF in the middle of it.  It meant nothing to me when we first signed up, but after I started watching the show, I was ridiculously stoked.  And other posters on the XF bulletin board were jealous.  Ha.

• Love 1

Welcome Festivus(I love Seinfeld). I had forgotten all about Prodigy which my family had before AOL-which we thought was hi-tech at the time. I was a fan of the show from the second series but because I thought message boards were for obsessed nerds(LOL!) I didn't join the AOL boards until 1998. I then branched out to a website someone had set up that was all things X-Files(can't remember the name but it was super popular).

I do remember that one person on the boards had a satellite and could download the episodes when they were transmitted to the various regional FOX channels in series 7. I waited with bated breath the Sunday morning of the Series 7 finale because we didn't know how David was being written out. People were highly skeptical when the poster described that Scully was pregnant. Met some nice people there and I still have my I Want To Believe poster rolled up in the closet.

What's really amazing is that my teenage niece now wants to watch the show since all the kids at her school are talking about it. Had someone told me in 2001 that the X-Files would be popular in 2016, I wouldn't have believed.

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 2

What's really amazing is that my teenage niece now wants to watch the show since all the kids at her school are talking about it. Had someone told me in 2001 that the X-Files would be popular in 2016, I wouldn't have believed.

And what makes it even greater is that it's because of a reprise of the show, with the original actors, rather than a reboot with fresh, young faces.  I can't describe how happy that makes me.

• Love 2

Prodigy is ringing a bell with me. Was it still around in '99? I may have read some not X-Files but Buffy (which was my other huge obsession in the 90's) stuff there. Or I may just be remembering that name because people talked about it at TWoP. The memory, it is terrible.

And what makes it even greater is that it's because of a reprise of the show, with the original actors, rather than a reboot with fresh, young faces.  I can't describe how happy that makes me.

That is good to hear. My older son has started watching the show and I  think he's about halfway through the 1st season. He remembers watching it with me some back in the later 90's. Oh and I just now realized this as I'm typing it he's 27, same age as me me when it first came on. My younger son had his girlfriend here last night and I tried to talk them into watching it together and she said she doesn't like "old shows". Got to admit that kinda bothered me a bit. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1

Since this seems to be the place to post our XF fandom creds, and I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the game, I'll jump in and play! 

I was 25 and in grad school the first time I encountered the show.  A fellow TA and the department secretary would talk about it in the office every Monday morning and I finally got intrigued enough to check it out.  My first episode was a rerun of "Anasazi" the week before season three premiered.  Mulder stumbling through Scully's door and into her arms was all it took.  ;)  Quickly caught up on the first two seasons as I watched season three, but it wasn't until Oct. '96 that I got online.  Practically the first thing I did was search for The X-Files and lo and behold other people were talking about it!  Not sure where I first found info -- I want to say on a Compuserve board, but it might have been Prodigy.  At any rate, a few days later I found the XF boards on AOL and subsequently my tribe.  Met my best friend there.  It's been such a gift to be back discussing this wonderful show as we're about to celebrate the 20th anniversary of our friendship. 

From the AOL boards, I was part of the Primal Screamers, an off-shoot of those of us who screamed for more Primal Sympathy by Lydia Bower the summer of '97.  Ended up co-moderating the Scullyfic mailing list, which eventually turned into Emuse, and for three years my BFF and I operating a fic rec archive -- Chronicle X.  Spent more time on atxc than atxf.  Never really got into the boards at TWoP, not TXF ones anyway.  Spent time on the fic board at the Haven years and years ago, but these days I'm trying to keep up with the kids on Tumblr.  Wrote a handful of fics back in the day, which I moved over the Archive of Our Own a few months ago.  Made me miss the days of an active Gossamer. 

• Love 1

sharinlilbit I have no idea what any of that stuff you mentioned is! I didn't really know about searching for stuff back then so when I found MBTV/TWoP  there I stayed.  I also think I remember why Prodigy is ringing a bell, I think it was my first e-mail address. Could be totally wrong about that though so I'm going to ask my hubs when he gets home. He remembers stuff like that.

Believe it or not I've never read any X-files fanfic. I think I might have to remedy that soon.

Believe it or not I've never read any X-files fanfic. I think I might have to remedy that soon.

There is some HIGH quality stuff out there, believe me.  XF is still the only fandom I've ever bothered with reading fanfic for.

• Love 1
I was part of the Primal Screamers, an off-shoot of those of us who screamed for more Primal Sympathy by Lydia Bower the summer of '97.

Hers was pretty much the only Mulder-centric fic I, a card-carrying member of OBSSE (rogue division), consistently liked.

And I'm also still friends with someone I met through one of the XF forums back in the day, although I can't remember which one.  Which is now bugging me, and I'm going to have to email her to ask if she recalls.

There is some HIGH quality stuff out there, believe me.  XF is still the only fandom I've ever bothered with reading fanfic for.

It's the only fandom where I wish some of the writers could have written for the show. I'd suggest anyone new look to the Gossamer archives. It hasn't been updated in years but they have some great searches based on episode, characters etc. Certainly better than the randomness of Archives of Our Own.

Used to love Leyla Harrison's fics. RIP but nice that the boys from 1013 gave a character her name. Now if they'd only hire a few female writers for next series. I'm available:)

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 1

It's the only fandom where I wish some of the writers could have written for the show. I'd suggest anyone new look to the Gossamer archives. It hasn't been updated in years but they have some great searches based on episode, characters etc. Certainly better than the randomness of Archives of Our Own.

While Gossamer IS much better than Archive of Our Own, I wouldn't recommend just diving into Gossamer if you've never read fanfic before.  I bet those of us who have could suggest some of the quality fic to get you started.  I believe there is a fic thread here to post something like that, if anyone was curious.  Once you have some of the good stuff under your belt, THEN play whack-a-mole at Gossamer.  ;) 

(Also several of the top writers pulled their fics from Gossamer toward the end of the show, due to some kerfuffle that I can't recall now.  So you might miss out there.)

One thing I will miss after the series ends is talking about the X-Files with people again. I forgot how much I liked it first time round. I even took a criminology class taught by a former FBI agent back when the show was still on. 

I guess I'm still a megafan as I'm going to a lecture at the Smithsonian led by Anne Simon(one of the scientific advisors on the show). Luckily it's after the season finale so we can ask her all the details of the show. Apparently she had a hand in the storyline of the season finale. 

Edited by Tardislass
  • Love 2

It's been great having folks to talk to the show about. I didn't have that the first time around.

Same here. I talked about it with my off line friends. But I didn't have that much internet access back then. Wish I did though.

Sadly, the only friends and co-workers I know don't really watch the show. My other fans drifted from X-Files to Doctor Who and while they can talk all day about DW, they only talk about the new show for a few minutes. I get the feeling most of them aren't enjoying it as much as I am.

My dad is the only one off-line who will really talk about the show but a) he's a casual fan and I have to remind him on who Mrs. Scully was, who Reyes is, etc. b)He's convinced that William is half alien, and Scully's eggs were tampered with. He also doesn't think that Mulder is the dad because they never did it onscreen. Sigh.

I think he watches mainly because he has always had a big ole crush on Gillian Anderson. He will watch almost anything with her in it!

So yep, I'm going to miss the talk here once the series is over. Who knows how long before another will come along. 

I'm loving reading about when/how everyone got into the show and I'm envious of those of you who were able to discuss it back in the day!

As for me, I was 13 when it started and was a fan from day one.  I remember seeing a commercial for it, knew it was something I wanted to watch, but wasn't sure if I would be able to (in my house, my parents got first choice in tv viewing).  However, we got our first VCR that summer, so I spent time setting it up to record, just in case.  It turned out that my parents were amused by my chatter about it, so I got to watch it live.  I have such a strong memory of being in the kitchen, hurrying to make a pitcher of tea before it started and I remember exactly where I was standing and squealing as I rushed to the living room.

We didn't have internet, and none of my friends watched, so I was kind of alone in my fandom, but it was appointment tv for me.  Not only did I watch it live, I recorded every episode, bought whatever magazines/TV Guides I could find that had articles about the show, and made a ceramic X-Files clock in art class (which I still have somewhere).  I also have a vague memory of keeping a binder full of 'stuff' (newspaper clippings, artwork?), so I guess that was my way of participating in the fandom when I had no other way of doing so.  However, my interest started to wane around season 4 and I stopped watching completely at some point during season 5.  This was partly because the mytharc was frustrating and partly because I was in my senior year and just too busy to watch.  

And here's my confession:  I've never seen a full episode past season 5 (only snippets) and haven't seen either movie.  When I got internet and could read forums, it seems that the mytharc just got more complicated and convoluted and I decided that I didn't want to end up hating a show that I had loved so much, so I avoided it.  I've actually avoided it to the point that I never did a rewatch until now.

Since I haven't been immersed in the show for almost 2 decades, it's been fun to do a rewatch with adult eyes.  The episodes that freaked me out back then still freak me out, but I'm finding that episodes that I didn't like as much back then are ones that I like now.  I also think that more than enough time has passed that watching the seasons I haven't seen won't taint my love for the show and it's almost like the show (for me) is in three parts; the first 5 season that I watched in real time as a teen, the last 4 seasons that I'll watch as an adult, and the new episodes that I'll watch as an adult in real time.

I was so excited when I heard about the new episodes and my inner 13 year old cheered when I found out the premiere date, since my birthday was 2 days later and I decided it was an early birthday gift.  I would have laughed and thought you were nuts if you had told me that I'd be watching new episodes of this show, 23 years later.

• Love 2
We didn't have internet, and none of my friends watched, so I was kind of alone in my fandom, but it was appointment tv for me.  Not only did I watch it live, I recorded every episode, bought whatever magazines/TV Guides I could find that had articles about the show

I did that too and I was twice your age. Probably shouldn't admit that ;)

Keep watching. I'm doing a rewatch and I never did watch all of season 9 but I'm going to do it now. I think I'm far enough removed to handle it, ha.

Edited by festivus

We didn't have internet, and none of my friends watched, so I was kind of alone in my fandom, but it was appointment tv for me.  Not only did I watch it live, I recorded every episode, bought whatever magazines/TV Guides I could find that had articles about the show, and made a ceramic X-Files clock in art class (which I still have somewhere).  I also have a vague memory of keeping a binder full of 'stuff' (newspaper clippings, artwork?), so I guess that was my way of participating in the fandom when I had no other way of doing so. 

Same, except I'm a year older than you, and I didn't make anything because I'm not crafty.  When i got to college, my roommate was also into the show. Sadly, that was the only thing we had in common.

So, I found the clock I made.  I do remember screwing up on the time back in the day (but too late to fix it), so I'm not a complete moron.  And I'm guessing this was after Ice, because of the bugs. In any case, nerdy teenage X-Files swag!

20160212_232618_zpsaqqfiiqm.jpg

• Love 2

Like festivus, I sort of barged into the party here, though I have been on TWOP and here in various ways for 15 years.

I started watching from the pilot - I was a junior in college, so about 20 when I started watching.  My father passed away when I was a freshman in college, and that was a traumatic experience for me, so I really appreciated the two shows on at the time that dealt with the reality of loss and how it entirely transforms your life (Quantum Leap and The X-Files, both science fiction shows, interestingly enough).  Those first few years, it was sort of my little show - I was the only one in my dorm who had an X-Files poster, and as I mentioned in one of the threads, I wouldn't go out on Fridays until after the show.

By the time I graduate and was working, it had become a huge hit, and practically everyone I knew was watching it but everyone knew I was obsessed with the show. (It was actually kind of funny how many people posted to my Facebook page when the revival was announced). But I didn't really get into the online discussion, because I didn't really get into message boards until 1998, and didn't find TWOP until 2000, I want to say.  So the online fandom stuff wasn't really a huge part of my original viewing experience, though I obviously became aware of it later in the 1990s. Plus, by the time I had discovered TWOP, I was on my way out of watching it (I watched season 7, but only checked in on seasons 8 and 9 sporadically because to me, Duchovney and Anderson make the show and I wasn't interested in watching The X-Files without Mulder. I don't read fanfic for anything and have never been interested in it.

So it's kind of nice to finally have the full-bore online fandom experience.  I mean, I did participate occasionally on the usenet board but by the time I got there, that community was established and not exactly super open to "new" people.  Plus, by the time I discovered Usenet, I was talking more Buffy/Angel/West Wing.  But with these new episodes, it's good to be among fellow obsessives.

• Love 2
But with these new episodes, it's good to be among fellow obsessives.

It really is. I don't want this board to fizzle out when these new episodes quit airing.

So, I've seen mention around here of X-Files mix tapes and I'm curious. I've never made a mix tape for a show before and I've never had any songs for tv characters before. I'm really interested to know what songs are on y'alls mix tapes. I think I've got me a M/S song picked out but I want to hear other people's first.

I wouldn't go out on Fridays until after the show.

Nor would I, which aggravated my friends -- "But you're taping it.  Can't you just watch it when you get home?"  Yeah, for the second time.  I can't wait until then! 

So, I've seen mention around here of X-Files mix tapes and I'm curious. I've never made a mix tape for a show before and I've never had any songs for tv characters before. I'm really interested to know what songs are on y'alls mix tapes.

Mine was called Mulder, It's Me, and it was dialogue snippets that led into songs.  I remember Scully's "I'm here to tell you that if he dies because of what you've done ..." to Boggs led into Luscious Jackson's Daughters of the Kaos.  The "What do you want me to say, that I believe it even if I don't?  Is that what you want?" conversation from Elegy introduced Fiona Apple's Sleep to Dream.  And of course Sarah McLachlan's Building a Mystery was on there, because that song IS Mulder, but I don't remember what dialogue I paired with it.  I made a montage of Scully saying, "I'm fine," and put that with Tracy Bonham's Mother Mother.  Scully's message on Mulder's answering machine from Duane Barry went with She Cries Your Name by Beth Orton.

Damn, now I want to find this thing and play it (uh, in my car, I guess, as I no longer have a working cassette player anywhere else) to see what else is on it.  We listened to it driving up to San Francisco for WonderCon in '08, so it's not like I haven't heard it since '97 or something, but I'm blanking.

• Love 1

Bastet, I'm going to listen to those songs. I don't know all of them. I like that you have dialogue on it.

Never made one myself, but I do have some songs I like that deal with M and S. :)

Tell them to me!

Nor would I, which aggravated my friends -- "But you're taping it.  Can't you just watch it when you get home?"  Yeah, for the second time.  I can't wait until then! 

Mine was called Mulder, It's Me, and it was dialogue snippets that led into songs.  I remember Scully's "I'm here to tell you that if he dies because of what you've done ..." to Boggs led into Luscious Jackson's Daughters of the Kaos.  The "What do you want me to say, that I believe it even if I don't?  Is that what you want?" conversation from Elegy introduced Fiona Apple's Sleep to Dream.  And of course Sarah McLachlan's Building a Mystery was on there, because that song IS Mulder, but I don't remember what dialogue I paired with it.  I made a montage of Scully saying, "I'm fine," and put that with Tracy Bonham's Mother Mother.  Scully's message on Mulder's answering machine from Duane Barry went with She Cries Your Name by Beth Orton.

Damn, now I want to find this thing and play it (uh, in my car, I guess, as I no longer have a working cassette player anywhere else) to see what else is on it.  We listened to it driving up to San Francisco for WonderCon in '08, so it's not like I haven't heard it since '97 or something, but I'm blanking.

Building a Mystery was very Mulder.  I'd forgot all about that song.  Beautiful fucked up man, indeed.

Ha ha ha, truth.

My friends knew to not even call during when it was on, because I wouldn't answer the phone.

It's more like a personal scorecard rather than playing against anyone else. We have wipe off markers and will see if either of us (Mr. Phile and I) gets a bingo during any particular episode. It's like the Walmart bingo cards. Just for personal giggles. Just check off the box if you see it happen in an ep.

• Love 1

The X-Files revival has actually caused me to finally sign up for an account. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure I was watching the pilot episode when it aired. I was 17 and really into paranormal, mystery stuff and this show description was right up for my ally. A bit of personal home pride factored in since I consider myself a Vancouverite/Lower Mainlander and loved the fact then show just looked so familiar to me because of that.

I have memories of my brothers and I eagerly settling down on Friday night to see this scary show. By November 1993, my brother wised up and sent a fan letter to the X-Files. I'm still jealous of what happened next.. I assume because the show was building an audience, they actually sent back stuff. A photo of Mulder and Scully signed by both GA and DD to my brother "To Mike, Thanks, ". Talk about personal attention! I guess when they were still unknown, they did these little things. By the time I tried writing, in 1994, I just got a non personalized postcard, lol. My brother still has it, since I remember telling him to hold on to that just in case the show or the two stars got famous. Boy, has it blew up since the humble beginning that fall of '93! I'm having so much nostalgia attacks with the new episodes and my rewatch. It really is like seeing old friends and, of course, familiar local surroundings again!

• Love 2

So my sister, due to her job, had already met David Duchovny and now today told me she met and talked a bit with Jamie Dornan recently. So now she has met both of Gillian Anderson's two rather handsome co-stars from both her series. Feeling a bit jealous of her, but I guess that means I have to meet GA, to make everything whole, lol. I can't believe her luck. (As well as my brother from the post above) Because let's face it, my own sister meeting just one of GA's co-stars is enough, but TWO co-stars is just overdoing it, haha. Ironic considering I'm the major X-Files fan among my siblings.

Edited by Baby Button Eyes
  • Love 2

No, I haven't met anyone, sadly. Only my sister has met David and Jamie. (Omg, both are quite hot) Unless I go to the Utah comic con where GA, Mitch P. And William B. Davis are,I'm probably not due for any luck myself.

No, I live in the Vancouver area (Canadian) and my sister works at a place you would meet a good amount of incoming celebrities. (Won't be too specific about her job). My sister also said she saw them setting up filming of the X-Files last summer but not any sign of GA or DD at that time.

• Love 1

Hey everyone.  

I'm very late to this party but I am SO happy to have found Previously TV and an X Files forum again after all this time.  I mostly lurked on TwOP, occasionally posted and the recent reboot has sent me back to my DVD's and lurking in forums.  LOL.  

Ah, good times.  :)

• Love 2