Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Aperitivo

(edited)

I am loving this season. Unlike most, I never blamed Jack for Will and what happened to him because I always saw the Will people are seeing now. I'm not saying Will is a bad person, to the contrary, I do however think Will was aware of the real Hannibal even longer than he will admit to himself and he would have made the same choices and ended up in the same place because I always felt he was less bothered about the Hannibal that is Hannibal the Cannibal than he was bothered by the fact that Hannibal didn't just come clean and share his deviancy with Will. Hannibal and Will are the flip side of the same coin and blaming Jack for that basic truth is simply unfair.

It saddens me that not only is Bella gone, but I think Hannibal made better use of the fabulous Gina Torres in what four episodes, than Suits has in four seasons.

Still don't like Alana. I share the feeling that was posted previously that she chose Hannibal over everyone and everything even when she should have known better. I just see someone bitter over being played and dumped to the extreme. I don't know if it is the writing, the acting or a combination of both, but I never thought that Alana was even remotely close to being competent on any level. If anyone, she, more than Jack is to blame for Will's current mess because knowing his instability, she started him on this path.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't think we are meant to believe Will sailed to Europe. I just thought it was a metaphor for a journey beginning. He is a fisherman. He is fishing again. So little on this show is literal. Alana' s stylized hospital room. Mason' s freakishly big house. Chilton' s Bouquets of Revenge (who gets the trademark on that!). Jack being alive! Jack still has the most grounded scenes. Followed by Margot. Then Mason and his new nurse. Alana. And finally poor Will seems like a nutter until the boat.

I still don't get what Chilton and Alana meant by manipulation and English on the ball. Help!

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 5
(edited)

I love the expression Bouquet of Revenge.  We need bouquets of revenge to go with the flower crowns.

Me! I made that up all by myself! Finally, a worthwhile contribution to the Fandom.

Thoughts on Alana:

- Her personality completely changed and I thought the medical explanation they gave was a cop-out.

- I don't think she should have known better regarding her affair with Hannibal. He hadn't let her see any of his pathology. He was never anything but generous and charming with her. In Season 1, I saw him giving a lot of hints to Abigail and Will, but not to Alana. I think he considered her part of his cover story.

- She SHOULD have known better than to send Will to Hannibal for his eval in the first place. That was ridiculous. What, there was no other psychiatrist in Baltimore that HADN'T been through the trauma with him? Doesn't the FBI have counselors on staff for this exact reason?

Edited by Crossbow
  • Love 6

I'm confused.  I never thought Will was sailing to Europe.  I thought he was just taking his boat out to think, but never that he sailed to Europe.  

Meanwhile, the one final thing I wanted to mention that struck me in this episode was this almost palpable yearning, in a very odd way, for Hannibal's presence -- a need to understand him. Alana and her bright cold rage. Chilton and his wounded vanity. Will and his lonely dark mirror. Jack, still asking questions about death.

What I think the show does very well is that it acknowledges what an utterly unique experience it would be to know someone like Hannibal. In a banal, brash, braying, trashy, increasingly semi-illiterate world, Hannibal is an extraordinary figure -- a cultured, brilliant person whose presence and friendship would certainly be treasured, right down to the perfect calligraphy and sentiment of each handwritten note.

Which is why there's, to me, an almost palpable air of loss and confusion to all these people about Hannibal. A feeling of real grief, and even envy and fascination, at the loss of this fallen angel and godlike being from their lives. Every single thing the man sets his mind or body to accomplish, he does perfectly.

I really like this train of thought.  If Hannibal wasn't a killer, but was exactly the same as he is in the show, he'd be everybody's friend.  It's not that he's cultured, it's that he really pays attention to people.  He knows how to read a room.  If you went out to dinner with Hannibal, he wouldn't spend the entire evening checking his smart phone.  Hannibal would be the perfect friend to go to the Met Museum with.  

• Love 6
(edited)

don't think she should have known better regarding her affair with Hannibal. He hadn't let her see any of his pathology. He was never anything but generous and charming with her. In Season 1, I saw him giving a lot of hints to Abigail and Will, but not to Alana. I think he considered her part of his cover story.

- She SHOULD have known better than to send Will to Hannibal for his eval in the first place. That was ridiculous

Alana knew Hannibal from before. Wasn't he some teacher somewhere and she sort of had a crush on him that they didn't act on at that time? That was revealed last season, I think, or maybe even season 1. Season 1 ... back when Will made a pass at Alana ... and was rejected. Boo hoo!

I don't think it matters to where Will is sailing, he's just by himself, sailing. Sort of a rough sea, but he's sailing. (Rough sea, rough life ... metaphors!)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Alana knew Hannibal from before. Wasn't he some teacher somewhere and she sort of had a crush on him that they didn't act on at that time? That was revealed last season, I think, or maybe even season 1. Season 1 ... back when Will made a pass at Alana ... and was rejected. Boo hoo!

Season 1. He was her mentor. She mentioned that the grad students or interns or whatever all thought the two of them were having an affair, and Hannibal said, "Why didn't we?" She pointed out that he was already having an affair at the time. Then he made her a heart with roses for dinner and gave her her own private reserve of beer. Poor girl never had a chance.

• Love 5

Hee, Crossbow! Now I keep picturing poor woebegone Chilton making the rounds, endlessly looking for anyone who will accept his Bouquet of Revenge. A sort of postmodern take on "Are You My Mother?"

Me! I made that up all by myself! Finally, a worthwhile contribution to the Fandom.

Thoughts on Alana:

- Her personality completely changed and I thought the medical explanation they gave was a cop-out.

- I don't think she should have known better regarding her affair with Hannibal. He hadn't let her see any of his pathology. He was never anything but generous and charming with her. In Season 1, I saw him giving a lot of hints to Abigail and Will, but not to Alana. I think he considered her part of his cover story.

- She SHOULD have known better than to send Will to Hannibal for his eval in the first place. That was ridiculous. What, there was no other psychiatrist in Baltimore that HADN'T been through the trauma with him? Doesn't the FBI have counselors on staff for this exact reason?

On Alana, for me, the betrayal by Hannibal (on all levels -- moral, personal, and romantic) coupled with near death and an excruciatingly painful recovery plus the medical explanation all combine to make any personality changes for her believable. The final touch to the cocktail is the worst part of all -- her wounded vanity and how absolutely horrified and foolish she would have felt at not seeing the monster right there next to her. So I buy that she would be furious and vengeful -- however, honestly I also feel like she's working an angle with the Vergers in some way -- I don't think she's showing all her cards, and I do think in the end that she will end up being firmly on Team Will/Jack.

On her involving Will in the first place, I don't blame her for that. Will was in fact still on the periphery of their world, he was a brilliant and acknowledged expert, and I always thought Alana was very protective of him. She often cautioned Jack that Will was fragile, and I believe she cared for his well-being as best she could, although she got worse at it the more blinded she was by Hannibal.

Meanwhile, Will did make his own decisions, so for me he's responsible for his own choices. Although it was interesting how cold he was to Alana when she came upon him entering the house. I'd thought the experience might bond them a bit, but Will could have been a thousand miles away -- pretty brutal to this woman in a wheelchair that he had once perhaps loved.

I really like this train of thought.  If Hannibal wasn't a killer, but was exactly the same as he is in the show, he'd be everybody's friend.  It's not that he's cultured, it's that he really pays attention to people.  He knows how to read a room.  If you went out to dinner with Hannibal, he wouldn't spend the entire evening checking his smart phone.  Hannibal would be the perfect friend to go to the Met Museum with.  

This! Which is why one of my favorite things about "Hannibal" is its beautiful dialogue and the way the show appears to relish beautiful conversation. Hannibal -- whether talking to Will, Jack, Bedelia, or Alana, never spoke about nothing. The conversations were about complex and important things. Even in this episode, Chilton's conversation with Alana, for instance, or Jack's with Will, etc., offered literate and beautiful dialogue by smart characters seeking to understand what had happened to them. (I have to admit that I'm a bit more 'meh' on Verger's conversations, as many of them tend to be a bit too mustache-twirly for my tastes).

I forgot to add -- I found it so uncomfortable that Alana lay there on her hospital bed uncovered and nearly naked, immobilized. She looked like a potential sacrifice.

Also: one last question. We saw what appeared to be Verger's finger on his motorized chair control, moving him forward. I didn't understand this since isn't he a superhigh-level quadriplegic only able to move his head? Wouldn't he do this with a straw mechanism instead?

• Love 4

I forgot to add -- I found it so uncomfortable that Alana lay there on her hospital bed uncovered and nearly naked, immobilized. She looked like a potential sacrifice.

All I could think of was, where's the catheter? Yeah, I know, I'm way too practical.

• Love 1

Two of my extended family members have died in hospice recently. One waited until her family was all present to pass, one waited until everybody had gone before passing. One of our nurses said that she sees both behaviors about equally distributed. So when Jack talked about Bella wanting him to be out of the room, I got hit square in the feels.

I suppose it's superfluous, but kudos to the makeup fx peeps this week. From Chilton's face bullet, to Mason's surgery, we got all kinds of ooky stuff.

Is that device that stabilized Alana's pelvis a real version of the thing? Looked fancy.

How terrible for you!  So sorry for your losses! 

Strange that they 'waited'.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have an honest question because I am curious because I find this show and this season to be an extremely well written, acted and beautifully shot show. For the people who don't like the third season, are you not liking it because it is too cerebral? I've heard the word pretentious thrown around like it was a dirty word. Is that it as well?

I am just curious because Hannibal is both; but it has always been both. I just happen to like both.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Attica, seconding Brattinella with sympathies on your recent losses. I've been there and hope you're healing. Hospice was a huge comfort to us in the loss of my Mom and stepdad -- I hope they were for you as well.

Saber5055, I thought the same thing!

But this propelled me to another, interesting thought:  What if "Hannibal" is so heightened and cerebral because it takes place solely in the minds and impressions of its characters?

What I mean is, Alana's hospital room looks the way it does because that's the way it's perceived by Chilton. There are no tubes connected to her because he doesn't notice them. She looks like a sacrificial victim because she is/was one, etc.

Applying this to the rest of the show actually works for me, especially in light of Will's constantly repeated mantra (when entering the killers' minds), "This is my design." We are all at the mercy of our perceptions. It's an interesting idea to imagine that the entire show -- which so often feels like a fever dream -- may actually be a kind of shared fever dream -- a series of perceptions, dreams and moments and heightened awarenesses. It probably sounds silly but I can't quite let the idea go. 

Also, sorry for being so chatty on this episode -- I've meant to chime in all season, so I'm kind of making up for lost time! ;-)

• Love 7
The final touch to the cocktail is the worst part of all -- her wounded vanity and how absolutely horrified and foolish she would have felt at not seeing the monster right there next to her.

I really think this is important. Being betrayed by Hannibal is going to be bad enough if you're Jack or even Will, but at least you let yourself know who you were dealing with. Alana's known Hannibal longer then anybody else in this group of people. He's been incredibly important to just about every stage of her adult life, as mentor, colleague, and lover. To find out that this whole entire time this man you've felt special to, important to, was lying to and manipulating you in the most elaborate and brutal ways possible would be ghastly.

And to realize his only motivations for beginning a sexual relationship were a combination of his own private amusements at moving the FBI around like chess pieces and to fuck with Will's head, that it had nothing to do with you at all, that he cares nothing about you as a person, that you may have amused him but as a man is amused by a child....well, are there even words for the loss of self, of confidence, of worth? 

There's a reason for the saying "all is vanity." Vanity does not equal superficiality or casualness. People will forgive you sleeping with their spouse far more easily then posting ugly pictures of you on Facebook. They'll give you a second chance if you steal their money, but not if you make them look foolish at work. They could get past you wrecking their car, but not the image you've constructed for your use in the world at large. 

• Love 6

And after this incredibly deception and betrayal, while you're lying broken on the concrete in the pouring rain, he comes out of the house having defeated the people you care about. Instead of finishing you off or just walking past, he stops to pull the coat off of you so he can put it on. Can you imagine the intensity of despair in the moment?

Follow that with the indignities and isolation of treatment. With gloating visits from Chilton. The mortifying questions from the FBI and muckrakers like Freddie. Dissecting the relationship again and again in your mind, pinpointing all the deceptions, and wondering how many people you've eaten without realizing it. Maybe you knew them.

Alana was horrified that Will, in a conscious state of mind, was willing to have Hannibal killed when Alana thought Hannibal was innocent. How much more harshly must she judge a man that has killed sounder after sounder, without a quiver of remorse, and then posed them decoratively and ate his souvenirs?

I buy the change of heart.

• Love 8
(edited)

Some random boat references (just from the first episodes).

Amuse-Bouche:

Œuf:

Coquilles:

In one episode I recall Will telling Hannibal that his father was a boat mechanic. There was also one episode where Will was on his bed surrounded by dogs. There's an engine (or part of one) on the floor and he's working on part of it on the bed. I Think we see that briefly right before someone knocks on the door or he hears a noise or something. I believe there was a still photo of it released before the episode. Also, in the episode where Freddie goes into Will's barn I believe there is an engine hanging from the ceiling in the barn.

Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 2
(edited)

I really think this is important. Being betrayed by Hannibal is going to be bad enough if you're Jack or even Will, but at least you let yourself know who you were dealing with. Alana's known Hannibal longer then anybody else in this group of people. He's been incredibly important to just about every stage of her adult life, as mentor, colleague, and lover. To find out that this whole entire time this man you've felt special to, important to, was lying to and manipulating you in the most elaborate and brutal ways possible would be ghastly.

And to realize his only motivations for beginning a sexual relationship were a combination of his own private amusements at moving the FBI around like chess pieces and to fuck with Will's head, that it had nothing to do with you at all, that he cares nothing about you as a person, that you may have amused him but as a man is amused by a child....well, are there even words for the loss of self, of confidence, of worth? 

There's a reason for the saying "all is vanity." Vanity does not equal superficiality or casualness. People will forgive you sleeping with their spouse far more easily then posting ugly pictures of you on Facebook. They'll give you a second chance if you steal their money, but not if you make them look foolish at work. They could get past you wrecking their car, but not the image you've constructed for your use in the world at large. 

Really well said -- I agree entirely. I also think that people are never more dangerous than when injured to their pride and vanity. Humiliation is a powerful motivator. And it ties in with Hannibal (who even this season has reacted in pique when underestimated or insulted), and applies to Alana and Mason as well. And of course Chilton, who despite enduring horrible things and certainly deserving vengeance, still manages to come off as rather petty and peevish! But I love him.

And the second part of that old Bible quote applies as well -- "all is vanity and vexation of the spirit." Hannibal humiliated and wounded Alana and now all that's left is her vexation (rage). 

The odd thing is, I don't think the vanity issue however is present at all for Will or Jack. Their feelings are more straight-up grief and betrayal.

And after this incredibly deception and betrayal, while you're lying broken on the concrete in the pouring rain, he comes out of the house having defeated the people you care about. Instead of finishing you off or just walking past, he stops to pull the coat off of you so he can put it on. Can you imagine the intensity of despair in the moment? Follow that with the indignities and isolation of treatment. With gloating visits from Chilton. The mortifying questions from the FBI and muckrakers like Freddie. Dissecting the relationship again and again in your mind, pinpointing all the deceptions, and wondering how many people you've eaten without realizing it. Maybe you knew them. Alana was horrified that Will, in a conscious state of mind, was willing to have Hannibal killed when Alana thought Hannibal was innocent. How much more harshly must she judge a man that has killed sounder after sounder, without a quiver of remorse, and then posed them decoratively and ate his souvenirs? I buy the change of heart.

Beautifully put. You made me really think about Alana lying helpless and confined to that solitary hospital bed, with nothing to think about but to revisit over and over where she went wrong, what mistakes she made, what moments she missed, and wondering ceaselessly what the meanings must have been in this or that touch or comment or action from Hannibal, etc. It would be utterly hellish. I can believe that once she got mobile again, she would also mobilize her vengeance against Hannibal.

I really like what they've done with Alana this season (and Caroline Dhavernas looks absolutely gorgeous in all those jewel tones and dark rich colors -- interesting because before I associated her with pale, almost transparent colors), and her story is definitely one of the ones I'm most interested in. I can't wait to see what happens there.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 4

I'm still not buying Alana's personality change. Yes, she would be vengeful, but for her to work with Mason she would have to turn off every other feeling except revenge, and history shows she is not at all good at turning off her feelings. She wouldn't work with a child abuser to get revenge. She clearly hates Chilton as much as she did before and refused his Bouquet of Revenge, and Mason is much worse than Chilton. I think the most realistic course would have been for her to try working with the FBI to track down Hannibal, and then maybe go after him herself or with Will or Jack if that didn't work. I think for her to even consider Mason, she'd have to have exhausted all other avenues.

That might have been the point.

You guys, the expresion "All is vanity" doesn't apply in that way, because it means vanity in the sense of futility. It means everything you do is pointless.

• Love 1

There are so many references, and even more visuals Dot Com. They start from the first episode. I don't remember the one from Naka-Choko . I was probably looking at Randall's costume, and didn't notice the engine. I will look again. Thanks!

Patti Podesta (Hannibal’s production designer), when talking about Will's house, said: "Will lives there with his dogs, his motorboat parts and his fishing tackle."

There is an engine in Œuf. We see it when Hannibal is alone in Will's house.

There's an engine (or part of one) on the floor and he's working on part of it on the bed.

This is from Fromage. But, because it's Will, two of his dogs are on the bed and he is working on the floor. ;P

• Love 3

There are so many references, and even more visuals Dot Com. They start from the first episode. I don't remember the one from Naka-Choko . I was probably looking at Randall's costume, and didn't notice the engine. I will look again. Thanks!

Patti Podesta (Hannibal’s production designer), when talking about Will's house, said: "Will lives there with his dogs, his motorboat parts and his fishing tackle."

There is an engine in Œuf. We see it when Hannibal is alone in Will's house.

This is from Fromage. But, because it's Will, two of his dogs are on the bed and he is working on the floor. ;P

I could be mistaken about the engine in the garage. It might have been the costume I was thinking of. There were definitely quite a lot of references, visual and otherwise, to boats in the first couple seasons.

I am not sure it is widely known that Mason abused children. Hannibal and his sister know. There is no reason Alana would. Clearly he is eccentric. And now gross looking.

His paralysis isn't as bad on the show. So long as the show is consistent with his level of mobility I am okay with this depiction.

Another question. Is Frederick blind in his left eye? If so, that is the eye he uses to stare at Alana in their final moment. Not sure it matters.

I sort of wish Frederick had worn the same clothes throughout the episode but he gets fancy with Alana. She is exposed and he is nicely dressed again.

• Love 2

That's true, she might not know about Mason. Although they're portraying him as overtly sadistic and rude. She'd still try to go through legal channels first. It's been fundamental to her personality up until now.

• Love 3
You guys, the expresion "All is vanity" doesn't apply in that way, because it means vanity in the sense of futility. It means everything you do is pointless.

Ahah! But that works too, because Alana (along with the others) invested so much time and effort to help Will and Abigail and catch the Chesapeake Ripper, all the while unknowingly dancing to Hannibal's tune. Talk about a nihilistic crisis.

• Love 3

I do think in the end that she will end up being firmly on Team Will/Jack.

Oh wow I really hope not, this is the  most interesting she's ever been, and I hope she really has flipped some switch and is totally on board helping Mason murder Hannibal.I love the irony that Alana was just a cover, not one of his murder buddy recruits, yet she is the one who has become a cold remorseless killer. Go Alana. 

Applying this to the rest of the show actually works for me, especially in light of Will's constantly repeated mantra (when entering the killers' minds), "This is my design." We are all at the mercy of our perceptions. It's an interesting idea to imagine that the entire show -- which so often feels like a fever dream -- may actually be a kind of shared fever dream -- a series of perceptions, dreams and moments and heightened awarenesses. It probably sounds silly but I can't quite let the idea go.

I like this idea a lot, though again I think it works better when the show has divorced itself from the straight forward concrete real world narrative framework of solving "cases", but it helps me retrospectively have more acceptance and patience with preposterous murder tableauxs of S1 and S2. 

I've heard the word pretentious thrown around like it was a dirty word.

I've never used the word pretentious, because I agree that there is way to be arty/pretentious that I love, one can be *earnestly* pretentious, but having said that I think Bryan Fuller in almost ever project he's ever done is the kind of pretentious that is just plain pretentious, he's doing things JUST to be arty and outre and quirky. I use the word overcooked, and I still think S1 and S2 or totally overcooked particularly when it's asking me to pretend the images presented are in some kind of concrete real world  narrative framework. But now that that aspect is gone I can just dive in and appreciate it, because honestly for Fuller et al the more conventional narrative parts of the previous seasons were the "pretense" for them.

• Love 2

I still think S1 and S2 or totally overcooked particularly when it's asking me to pretend the images presented are in some kind of concrete real world  narrative framework.

That gives me pause every now and then (angel maker, live starling) but then I firmly tell myself to just go with it.

• Love 1

I'm still not buying Alana's personality change. Yes, she would be vengeful, but for her to work with Mason she would have to turn off every other feeling except revenge, and history shows she is not at all good at turning off her feelings. She wouldn't work with a child abuser to get revenge. She clearly hates Chilton as much as she did before and refused his Bouquet of Revenge, and Mason is much worse than Chilton. I think the most realistic course would have been for her to try working with the FBI to track down Hannibal, and then maybe go after him herself or with Will or Jack if that didn't work. I think for her to even consider Mason, she'd have to have exhausted all other avenues.

That might have been the point.

But what if it's both things? What if Alana is (1) completely set on revenge against Hannibal, and (2) has a secret agenda she's not sharing with Mason? I think it's highly likely that she's trying to use Mason as a tool -- using his desire for revenge and his almost unlimited funds in order to get and capture Hannibal. She may even be planning to do this in a way that will bring down Mason as well.

Alana may actually want to kill Hannibal (I think it's possible and interesting if so), or she may still be one of the show's moral centers, and is simply playing a role at the moment to get Hannibal behind bars.

I agree that we're playing loose with that Bible quote, but for me it works even in specificity (especially for Alana) because it is about a sense of hopelessness and despair in the face of the law, and in the face of the petty vanities, evils and meannesses men are capable of.

Oh wow I really hope not, this is the  most interesting she's ever been, and I hope she really has flipped some switch and is totally on board helping Mason murder Hannibal.I love the irony that Alana was just a cover, not one of his murder buddy recruits, yet she is the one who has become a cold remorseless killer. Go Alana. 

I'm divided on this. I think that if Alana were coldly plotting to murder Hannibal, I'd find it both believable yet incredibly sad. I'm one of those who thinks that anytime a person kills another, that they're kind of doing that Voldemort thing and losing a piece of their soul. I don't want Alana to kill Hannibal -- not because he doesn't deserve it (of course he does), but because I don't want Alana to become a murderer.

However, for her it might be an acceptable trade (even justifying aligning temporarily with Verger) to get this incredibly dangerous person off the streets. Or, as I suggested earlier in this post -- maybe she's simply playing a role, being a good cop, and working on something that will bring down and capture Hannibal, and that would also take down Mason as well secondarily. I have to think that the more she's exposed to Mason, the more she will want to bring him down as well.

And I definitely think Mason's sister would be a willing accomplice if this is in fact Alana's goal. 

I just think that -- even if Alana is playing a role -- I suspect that the mold is hardening. I think that even if she thinks she can go back to the Alana of before, she's going to find that she can't. She's been literally shattered and reassembled and she will never be the completely trusting, sweet unbroken person she was before.

I love that Chilton copyrighted "Hannibal the Cannibal". 

I do too. It's so Chilton. You just know he already bought the URL as well!

• Love 5

I read upthread somewhere (sorry, I didn't catch who said it) that while Hannibal has been cancelled, that abomination Aquarius has been renewed??  Is there no justice in the world?  I watched one episode of that crappy show, and I THOUGHT it was a mini-series, like 6 episodes only.  Hard to believe someone watches it.  I LOVE Hannibal!

• Love 3

I read upthread somewhere (sorry, I didn't catch who said it) that while Hannibal has been cancelled, that abomination Aquarius has been renewed??  Is there no justice in the world?  I watched one episode of that crappy show, and I THOUGHT it was a mini-series, like 6 episodes only.  Hard to believe someone watches it.  I LOVE Hannibal!

I know. It didn't hold my interest. 

(edited)

I don't know... I might watch reality show with Chilton trying to get someone to accept his bouquet or giving viewers a chance to smack Will upside the head.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1
(edited)

I keep rewatching the scene when Jack confronts Will in the barn. LF earns another potential Emmy nod for how carefully he handles Will despite being pretty darn furious. He is interviewing a suspect in that scene. I didn't realize it the first time. Jack is initially disarming, admitting fault for going alone. He expresses disappointment that Will hasn't called but also understanding. Then boom! Right to the point. When did you decide to betray me?

In another show that would have been a shouting or face to face confrontation scene. LF s more effective by keeping it quiet.

I also just realized Will only looks at Chilton directly in this episode. And Abigail. Will has never really hidden from Chilton, has he? I think that's why I like their scenes. Will is tougher around him. More sarcastic and knowing.

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think Will started looking directly at Chilton when he was incarcerated. Before that he openly disliked Chilton but also seemed a little worried that Chilton would manage to lock him up and study him. Once Chilton actually HAD him, it's like Will didn't care anymore and just started playing with him.

Edited by Crossbow
  • Love 3