Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Aperitivo

And Will has Chilton to thank for it, as he is the one who pointed it out to Jack that he was abandoning Will once again, and in doing so pretty much giving him up to Hannibal. Chilton's interest in Will and Hannibal is self-serving, true, but at least he seems to be reading things right, and is giving them good advice. And does he get a thank you, like ever? Nope. Poor Chilton.

Poor Chilton, a combination of a strutting Bantam rooster and Chicken Little, flapping around in the most eye-rollingly pretentious manner possible trying to warn people that the sky is falling. And everybody just going "Yeah, we know, but it's you telling us? And we don't like you? So..."

As I often watch this with my eyes closed and/or head buried behind a pillow, can anyone tell me if I missed the follow-up/payoff on why Alana wasn't supposed to accept any chocolate from Mason if it was offered?

Mason offers chocolate after he tortures you for your sweet sweet tears, so that's a big no-no for anybody who's around him for any length of time.

• Love 8
(edited)

I thought this episode oriented the season.  We've been getting flashes of where Will and Hannibal are emotionally, and this filled in the gaps for the characters that are or will be essential to the next stage of the journey.  It's helpful for me to think of these early episodes as completely reestablishing characters for whom we had two seasons of backstory, but who have been transformed into something different by the end of the last season.  They tell us where the characters are mentally and emotionally. 

With Will in particular, that's a really complex picture.  Will is grieving.  He feels guilty about wanting to leave with Hannibal, and the consequences that warning Hannibal brought to him and those near him.  He's so wracked that he doesn't know how to relate to the people that he betrayed, or his place in his own life.  Jack is his opposite.  He gained focus and chose to dedicate himself to someone who mattered personally.  Bella's passing gives him an opportunity to focus on someone else, and Will is that someone.  Will is running toward Hannibal in a search for himself and Jack is running after him to help him find himself independent of Hannibal.

Alana's cold, vengeful stance is a good counterpoint to Chilton's search for both empathy and professional capital.  Alana's made a choice to be complicit with Mason just as Bedelia made a choice to be complicit with Hannibal.  Both seem to have psychology as one of their motives.  Mason remains a loathsome human being, and Margot remains fascinating.  Chilton isn't prepared to take such a direct action like Alana, but he still wants to profit professionally from Hannibal or from Will as compensation.  He has some sincere feelings, but no one can be blamed for doubting the sincerity of someone who copyrights the expression "Hannibal the Cannibal."

This episode was entirely set in the past, in Will's mind, or in an alternate timeline where Will followed through on the plan to kill Jack.  I think it would have been helpful to position this one before Secondo, after we knew about Abigail's death, and before Will's quest started in earnest.  The non-chronological storytelling is a challenging watch.  I've enjoyed it, but not everything is best when played out "Rashomon" style.

I've realized watching this season how helpful it was to have characters like Price, Zeller, Beverly, and Freddie in the mix.  People who were invested, but not tormented, and could show some gallows humor.

I thought Laurence Fishburne and Gina Torres played this very well.  There were lots of feels.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by MisterGlass
  • Love 10

Is it just "professional Capital" MisterGlass? I'm thinking that one reason he wants Hannibal in his facility is to punish him. Make the man responsible for framing him and his getting shot in the face pay by making his life miserable.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh for fuck's sake.

Why am I still watching this boring show?

I'm with ya. I'm grimly hanging on out of loyalty, respect for most of the actors, and for the visual beauty (which includes Mads). I've completely lost the story.

Regarding the striking visuals - just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. A little goes a long way.

I don't think I would watch another season of this, unless it was using a heavy-handed fast forward.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
(edited)

I had a very "why am I wasting my time" immediate reaction last night.  Long week at work, all the usual excuses.  But I'm not editing or deleting what I thought.  In the cool, grey, rainy light of day, I am disappointed in the show, nothing less.  With all the pretention, the bloat, the arthouse techniques, the soap opera between Will and Hannibal, the "murder of the week" CSI format, all of that in the first two seasons, the show was captivating.  It was compelling.  It drew me into plot and made me care about the characters even though they were slathered in layers upon layers of shellac.  (Rather like the food, the people were turned into artistry by the presentation to the audience.  And all the double meanings that implies.  It was a fun conceit to unravel.)

The show, now, is simply shellac for me.  It's random whos and whats and whys and wherefores dressed to the nines but with no rational pattern.  (Seriously, explain Chiyo's day-to-day existence to me, explain Will on that fucking boat, explain Jack's blood going upwards, explain Alana's airtime in a hip halo but in a room that otherwise looks like an inactive holodeck, explain Chilton bringing the same bouquet of flowers to Jack and Alana with no where to put them, ever -- who let him in the room with them knowing there are no vases or tables?)

This is all hollow to me.  There is no ..... meat.

It's pretty to look at but ultimately boring.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 8

I usually am not wild about Alana Bloom; don't hate her but she's just there.  But icy, vengeful Alana, who wants to go "Old Testament" on Hannibal's ass? Now, this Alana intrigues me.

The most shocking thing in this episode for me was actually finding Alana Bloom interesting.

For me, Alana is the weakest link in the show. LOVE the red lipstick and new styling, but she still feels to me like she's trying too hard. For instance, Verger's sister was so effortlessly sexy and sinister, while Alana felt scripted and studied. 

The only thing that intrigues me about Alana is Hannibal's end game in using/killing her. The depth and complexity of his relationship with Bedelia is in an entirely different universe, infinitely more interesting.

I feel like this is a dumb question but I have to ask... Was the "hospital" where the team members were treated funded by Verger, or does Maryland just happen to have a super slick, state of the art medical facility?

• Love 1

Oh for fuck's sake.

Why am I still watching this boring show?

I ask myself the same thing.  It must be force of habit and desire for completion, because I am not a masochist, not do I enjoy watching artsy masterbatory fantasies.

I had a very "why am I wasting my time" immediate reaction last night.  Long week at work, all the usual excuses.  But I'm not editing or deleting what I thought.  In the cool, grey, rainy light of day, I am disappointed in the show, nothing less.  With all the pretention, the bloat, the arthouse techniques, the soap opera between Will and Hannibal, the "murder of the week" CSI format, all of that in the first two seasons, the show was captivating.  It was compelling.  It drew me into plot and made me care about the characters even though they were slathered in layers upon layers of shellac.  (Rather like the food, the people were turned into artistry by the presentation to the audience.  And all the double meanings that implies.  It was a fun conceit to unravel.)

The show, now, is simply shellac for me.  It's random whos and whats and whys and wherefores dressed to the nines but with no rational pattern.  (Seriously, explain Chiyo's day-to-day existence to me, explain Will on that fucking boat, explain Jack's blood going upwards, explain Alana's airtime in a hip halo but in a room that otherwise looks like an inactive holodeck, explain Chilton bringing the same bouquet of flowers to Jack and Alana with no where to put them, ever -- who let him in the room with them knowing there are no vases or tables?)

This is all hollow to me.  There is no ..... meat.

It's pretty to look at but ultimately boring.

Well said.  Except for the pretty part - I am not at all moved by the visuals.  I guess I'll stick out the season, and then try to forget I was ever even invested in this particular "story".

• Love 1

Maybe Jack's blood went up, because he didn't drown in what happened to him. He looked after his wife, accepted that he was going to lose her, and that she'd be happy to die at that point (something Hannibal once stole from her). He made peace with that, said goodbye to her, and went to fix the mistake he'd made with Will. 

The dogs are a grounding influence. I think they have more of that influence (stability) coming up, with the addition of a certain character. 

• Love 2
(edited)

No one has commented on Alaina saying Hannibal won't change his tastes, which includes wine and truffles. This matches Bedelia going to the same shop to purchase wine and truffles, then displaying the shopping bag on CCC.

Although I still don't know why Hannibal's photo (surely DMV has one) is not in all the European (and American) newspapers. But, whatever.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

No one has commented on Alaina saying Hannibal won't change his tastes, which includes wine and truffles. This matches Bedelia going to the same shop to purchase wine and truffles, then displaying the shopping bag on CCC.

Although I still don't know why Hannibal's photo (surely DMV has one) is not in all the European (and American) newspapers. But, whatever.

I noticed her comment about wine and truffles. 

I wondered how Hannibal is keeping up with their lives. The internet? I also wonder why his picture isn't plastered everywhere.

• Love 3

One thing I was curious about:  Upon finding the obviously hand-written condolence from Hannibal, why did Jack allow the arrangement to stay in the chapel?  I didn't need a be "RAAAARRRRHHH!" of Anger and a sweeping off of the flowers, but calmly removing the flowers that were placed in the center of the display behind Bella? Yes. Lecter stole Bella's dignity in her choice of death, I sure as hell would not allow even a jot of ink to linger a moment longer around her in death. 

Give it to another funeral service, donate it to a church or a hospice- whatever. Just Not Around Bella.

I was glad that Alana remembered/ kept in mind Hannibal's tells-- his basic foodie-ness. Hannibal's inability to eat something pedestrian.  Maybe for a day/week/month (tops), but any longer and Hannibal would get right nasty, I'm sure.  Too lower himself to a PB& J?  Fast food chains?  Basic gelato?  The trio of women around Hannibal may not be dealt gently by him, but they aren't just some damsels. They are/ will surely get their licks in, I am hopeful. (*g*)

• Love 3
(edited)

I had a very "why am I wasting my time" immediate reaction last night. Long week at work, all the usual excuses. But I'm not editing or deleting what I thought. In the cool, grey, rainy light of day, I am disappointed in the show, nothing less. With all the pretention, the bloat, the arthouse techniques, the soap opera between Will and Hannibal, the "murder of the week" CSI format, all of that in the first two seasons, the show was captivating. It was compelling. It drew me into plot and made me care about the characters even though they were slathered in layers upon layers of shellac. (Rather like the food, the people were turned into artistry by the presentation to the audience. And all the double meanings that implies. It was a fun conceit to unravel.)

I'm the exact opposite. The CSI crime solving was always the least interesting part of the show for me and now that they have done away with it completely I find the show entirely captivating. I think season 3 might be my favorite season. Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think you misunderstood me.  I meant, "In spite of all that, the show was captivating."

(I'm not held captive by bloat, CSI formula, soap opera, pretention, or arthouse technique.  To my mind, none of those things make for compelling narrative.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

Maybe I did. I know some people like CSI format and for this show it was visually stunning but it was also the least interesting part of the show for me. I always enjoyed the interpersonal relationships and twisted dynamics between the main cast. I know it an unpopular opinion but I also loved Alana even when she was being naive. Nativity is not something that makes me hate a character but I do find her need for revenge interesting.

Like everything in life this show is an acquired taste and I just happen to enjoy the format of the third season but o understand why people don't. The easy to follow formats are well easy to follow and this takes effort and yes it is pretentious but I don't have a problem with that either.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm going out on a limb.  I really, really loved this episode.  I love the visuals because this isn't something seen on TV and I adore it.  

What I loved about this episode were the visuals, the scene where, I guess it was in Will's head; where he, Hannibal and Jack are seated at the dinner table.  Will holds Jack down while Hannibal slits Jack's throat.  Whoa, what an image!  Because that's what Will did; he told Hannibal that they knew about him.  He said he wanted Hannibal to run but Will had to know that Hannibal wouldn't go down without a fight.  

When Will told Jack that he wanted to run away with Hannibal, that scene broke my heart.  To Will, Hannibal is the only person who "gets" him.  Hannibal doesn't think that Will is a freak; this goes back to the first season where Jack was using Will and Alana treated him like a test subject.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

I felt like things at least were moving forward this episode, but I agree with most of you that the visuals are getting to be a bit much.

I want a scene with Will and Hannibal where he tells him he just can't quit him.  

• Love 4
I was glad that Alana remembered/ kept in mind Hannibal's tells-- his basic foodie-ness. Hannibal's inability to eat something pedestrian.  Maybe for a day/week/month (tops), but any longer and Hannibal would get right nasty, I'm sure.  Too lower himself to a PB& J?  Fast food chains?  Basic gelato?

Truly. Although Hannibal would never say something as pedestrian as "I'd rather die then eat this." Much more "I'd rather you die then eat this."

• Love 4
I want a scene with Will and Hannibal where he tells him he just can't quit him.

The thing is though? He can. He doesn't want to--the very, very last thing in the whole wild wide world that Will Graham wants is to possess his own life. Which is, of course, the complete reversal of his major life goal before he met Hannibal Lecter. Between Hannibal's manipulations, Will's unique pathways of the mind, and the grotesque aftermath of the relationship, Will wants more then anything to sink under the water and dissolve. Melt away self, responsibility, need, future, life. 

But that's not how Hannibal left him. He's left with the insoluble nub, the divine spark, that is Will Graham. This far, no further. He spent his entire conscious life until now avoiding that boundary, for fear it was invisible, and now he's standing on the brink, wanting to jump but there's nothing to jump into. Like any addict, he's seeking that original hit, that first high where everything that ever ruined your life just went up in a puff of smoke, in seeking out Hannibal, but it won't work.

As I've said many times, in this metaphor of a show, Hannibal in relation to other characters (though not himself) is the Devil. He gives you what you always wanted and then stands back and watches and you sink and thrash and look around in bemused numbness--this isn't what I meant. Wait, not this, come back, this isn't what I meant--then leaves.

• Love 10

Is it just "professional Capital" MisterGlass? I'm thinking that one reason he wants Hannibal in his facility is to punish him. Make the man responsible for framing him and his getting shot in the face pay by making his life miserable.

Oh I agree, Chilton wants power over the monster, and to fill his life with dozens of little vengeances, like processed food, orange jumpsuits, and questions about his mother.

One thing I was curious about:  Upon finding the obviously hand-written condolence from Hannibal, why did Jack allow the arrangement to stay in the chapel?

As I see it, Will wasn't the only one who made a friend in Hannibal.  Jack felt very close to him in their dinners together and when they shared brandy afterward.  Hannibal took pains to get to know Jack and Bella.  And then he used their closeness to prod Jack with Bella, Miriam, and Beverly.  Like Will, I think Jack has trouble reconciling his experience with Hannibal because there were moments of connection and understanding.  For that matter, I think Hannibal was genuinely sorry for Bella's death.  He said without irony that he thought the world was a more interesting place with her in it.

I feel like this is a dumb question but I have to ask... Was the "hospital" where the team members were treated funded by Verger, or does Maryland just happen to have a super slick, state of the art medical facility?

I think a private hospital, since it seems to be where Margot was sent last year.

• Love 4

Alana' s observations about taste were a direct steal from Clarice in the book Hannibal. But I think it is appropriate she gets to say them. A woman scorned is indeed a scary person.

Dancy does the dead eye thing a bit too well.

I loved having Chilton back.

And Mason' s face is fine to me. It must be expensive to do that makeup so if that was the best they could do on a budget, fine.

Margot' s pigtails bothered me. It must be a deliberate choice but it infantiles her.

Jack was the rock solid center once again. A man taking care of business. I love Lawrence in this role. Plus he can wear a hat.

• Love 9

Jack was the rock solid center once again. A man taking care of business. I love Lawrence in this role. Plus he can wear a hat.

So true. In this episode or the last, there was a scene of Jack striding purposefully in his fedora, shot from behind and in shadow. I saw that big ol' blocky head in that fedora and thought "Jack's back!."

• Love 6
(edited)

After reading through everyone's comments more carefully, I can understand the frustration. I feel like Fuller has over-used that admittedly awesome bloodbath/fight scene.

But opening with Mason and Chilton was refreshing. Oddly a palette cleanser for me. Just checking in with these characters was enough movement for me.

The horror of what Will admitted to Jack was really downplayed and showed discipline. That scene was all about Jack. It had clear lighting. Will kept his face averted because he couldn't hide it otherwise. And I like how Will had his glasses back on at the funeral. How he sat behind Jack, maybe a bit shamefully. Hannibal of course had no shame. Flowers and note out and in your face.

I am not sure what Alanna and Chilton were agreeing to regarding Will. A little English on a cue ball? Can one of you explain? Manipulation? How does Alanna even have power over Will? Seeing her come out of his house creeped me out. I worry about his dogs.

How does Chilton match everyone? Facial injury=Mason. Cane=Alanna. Stomach scar=Will. Poor beaten up Chilton and yet in his own way he is rock solid. He knows exactly how far he will go. I like him for rejecting Mason. But did he recommend Alanna?

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 5

As I've said many times, in this metaphor of a show, Hannibal in relation to other characters (though not himself) is the Devil. He gives you what you always wanted and then stands back and watches and you sink and thrash and look around in bemused numbness--this isn't what I meant. Wait, not this, come back, this isn't what I meant--then leaves.

Maybe more djinn, instead? Will, Bedelia, Jack, Chilton, and Alana all making wishes and Hannibal the Lithuanian Djinn gives them their wishes in the most rules-lawyer-y way he can. More letter-of-the-wish than spirit. Because if he was the Devil, he'd have God's forgiveness; The Devil just doesn't believe/trust Him, correct?

(Sorry, Just now I can only see Mads in stereotypical djinn garb, with a big, poofy turban. It's not horrible.)

• Love 4

Snookums, I suspect you are one of the writers for this show.

One thing I was curious about:  Upon finding the obviously hand-written condolence from Hannibal, why did Jack allow the arrangement to stay in the chapel?

I know I'm being WAY too literal about this, but my first thought was to trace the flowers back to the florist and where the note came from. Because, obviously, it was Hannibal's handwriting which means he sent it to the florist who, in turn, sent it to the chapel for the funeral. And somehow florist got paid for the arrangement. PayPal? All traceable. 

Meanwhile, there is Will sailing alone across the Atlantic ... at least we know he did make it.

• Love 5
Maybe more djinn, instead? Will, Bedelia, Jack, Chilton, and Alana all making wishes and Hannibal the Lithuanian Djinn gives them their wishes in the most rules-lawyer-y way he can. More letter-of-the-wish than spirit. Because if he was the Devil, he'd have God's forgiveness; The Devil just doesn't believe/trust Him, correct?

The Devil could indeed have God's forgiveness if he gave up and admitted he was wrong. Which....Let's just say we could catch up on a lot of our chores and finish War and Peace waiting for that to happen. I do love the idea of the djinn! And how Chilton, ever second place, was going around trying the same damn thing--tempting with wishes. I know you want revenge/justice/Hannibal's warm, masculine embrace, we're siblings under the scars, join up on my team and we'll get the bastard! And everybody doing that "Oh, God, he's trying too hard. Again. Do not make direct eye contact while expressing gentle sarcastic refusal in the most oblique terms possible."  

(Sorry, Just now I can only see Mads in stereotypical djinn garb, with a big, poofy turban. It's not horrible.)

Mmmmm.....purrrrrrr.....sorry, what were you saying? 

• Love 3
(edited)

I am generally happy with this season, maybe because I did expect them to focus on the mental and emotional state of the charactes after what happened in Season 2, and am really happy they did not just rush to the "Will's vengance" plot. I admit there are times when they take extra long time with snails, or do things like "slow motion of Chio cutting up the bird she hunted, which ends with her face reflecting in the knife which then cuts to Hannibal doing the same with his victim, with his face reflecting on the knife" I small voice inside me is going "don't overdo it, show..." but otherwise all is well, and this episode set the "everyone is coming after Hannibal" bit nicely...

The sailing thing kind of cracked me up. It was gloriously and ridiculously romantic. Sailing all the way across the Atlantic by himself! Well, I guess he still had Imaginary Abigail with him at least periodically. She's probably terrible at helping with the sails, though.

Oh yes, that cracked me up too... Then I said "oh well, guess they want to ready us for the

Will retires to work on boat motors thing in Red Dragon"

... And then I fanwanked further and decided given how Will hates being social, sailing alone to the other side of the world made sense for him. And also gave him some more precious time to be "alone" in his head with Abigail,and I guess Hannibal, reflecting on everything...

Ohh, I haven't made the connection to Bedelia, like that a lot. I love that Hannibal's own vanity is likely to have a hand in his eventual capture, and that our ladies will play an important part in it.

Post Mortem vid for the episode with Laurence Fishburne

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric
  • Love 3

Forgive me for being naive, but it seems to me that if someone launched a boat solo from the Chesapeake Bay to Florence, Italy (which, by the way, is landlocked but for the Arno) they would make the headlines of the Chesapeake Bay Herald (™, me), the Washington Post, and the AOL headline slider.

That sort of trip would be akin to the "first solo solar powered flight around the world" type of media hype.

I had a pair of friends with a crew on a houseboat planning to go from Charleston, SC to the Bahamas and it was a God Damned flotilla.  Even then, they had an electrical malfunction and cancelled the whole trip.

• Love 3
(edited)

I must admit I know very litle about ships and sailing, but it seems the first man to sail solo around the world did it in 1898 and it has probably been done a few number of times already (looks like there is even at least one special race/event held for solo around the world sailing), so someone going from Chesapeake Bay to Florence solo in this time and day may not be so newsworthy? It might be risky, it might be difficult, but it is doable and not all that special? Besides, I assume part of the reason papers "know" about the record setting attempts is because they are contacted by people who are giving it a try. So it doesn't surprise me if someone does something out of the ordinary/spectacular and they don't necessarily get wind of it, if that guy wants nothing to do with press...

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric
  • Love 1
(edited)

I agree with those who might have found this episode (and season thus far) is a bit insular and inaccessible at first (poor Bella -- and poor Jack!). But I think there are incredible rewards for patience in this show, and I appreciate its languid, dreamlike and cerebral touches, that often move and affect me like no other show I can think of (certainly more than any other Harris adaptations, although I do think Manhunter is an underappreciated masterpiece). And as a book reader, I love the way Fuller has essentially treated Red Dragon, Silence, and Hannibal as separate mirrors -- mirrors he smashed before rearranging them into his own fractured view and design. I love what he's done and find it constantly breathtaking.

And I have to speak up as a fan of the book Hannibal (I'm one of the few, the proud). I actually really liked it, although my favorite in the series will always be Red Dragon. While the novel teeters on self-indulgence, for me it rarely loses its balance, and I think there's a kind of Baroque and twisted beauty to it that is perfect for Fuller, so I love how much he's referencing it thus far. It's violent and messy and extremely disturbing, but there are also passages of beauty and insight that are as good as any writing Harris has ever done. I wasn't thrilled with where Harris chose to go in its closing chapters. But as a work of fiction, I found it enthralling, florid, engrossing, and fascinating, and I love the way Fuller has been incorporating so much of Hannibal into this season (and I far prefer Bedelia as the doctor's dancing partner than the book's take). 

Overall, I'm still finding the show absolutely amazing. Can it be pretentious, opaque, overblown? Yes, and I love every bit of it, even if I (like many) end up watching many moments through my fingers, cringing at what they're about to show me next. But then there will be an image of rapturous strangeness or beauty and I'm all in again, and can't look away. Aside from the beautiful visuals, I love the actors on this show, and this episode was a wonderful showcase for almost all of them (aside from Anderson, who has been stunning as Bedelia). 

One thing I was curious about:  Upon finding the obviously hand-written condolence from Hannibal, why did Jack allow the arrangement to stay in the chapel?  I didn't need a be "RAAAARRRRHHH!" of Anger and a sweeping off of the flowers, but calmly removing the flowers that were placed in the center of the display behind Bella? Yes. Lecter stole Bella's dignity in her choice of death, I sure as hell would not allow even a jot of ink to linger a moment longer around her in death. 

I thought for a moment that Jack was torn about whether to tear up the note or to read it, but that he ended up reading it because he recognized that Hannibal, as bizarre as it seemed, was reaching out in polite sympathy. So he read the note, carefully pocketed it, and I think he was okay with Hannibal's exquisite roses on Bella's coffin.

For non-book-readers, in case it's of interest -- Jack's care of Bella, and Hannibal's note to Jack, complete with the excerpt of the exquisite John Donne poem "The Fever" (a poem from the POV of a man grieving the impending loss of his wife) actually occurs in The Silence of the Lambs (the book).

Hannibal's note to Jack:

"O wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it?"

I'm so sorry about Bella, Jack.

-Hannibal Lecter

My bias for Donne may be showing, but I do believe the gesture is genuine. I cannot believe that anyone who would quote John Donne in a condolence letter means anything but real sympathy. But more on that later on...

But that's not how Hannibal left him. He's left with the insoluble nub, the divine spark, that is Will Graham. This far, no further. He spent his entire conscious life until now avoiding that boundary, for fear it was invisible, and now he's standing on the brink, wanting to jump but there's nothing to jump into. Like any addict, he's seeking that original hit, that first high where everything that ever ruined your life just went up in a puff of smoke, in seeking out Hannibal, but it won't work.

"Divine spark!" Such a lovely way to refer to Will, especially in the show's chiaroscuro universe in which the characters seem to constantly glow against the darkness -- beautifully put and very insightful. I think for Hannibal, everything comes down to power and how he chooses to express it, which is why he's such a fascinating Lucifer-figure -- he's beautiful, cultured and capable of greatness. Yet he's also arrogant and proud, and utterly willing to mow down any puny humans who don't measure up. The fact that Lecter reduces his fellow mortals to mere food is the ultimate gesture of disdain and dismissal.

Like Will, I think Jack has trouble reconciling his experience with Hannibal because there were moments of connection and understanding.  For that matter, I think Hannibal was genuinely sorry for Bella's death.  He said without irony that he thought the world was a more interesting place with her in it.

I think there is a part of Jack who understands that he did share a real friendship with Hannibal, which was why I was so moved when Jack thanked Hannibal in the S2 finale so quietly for his friendship. I loved the moment -- it was an acknowledgment that while they would now begin the battle, that his time with Hannibal had meant something, and I believe that it did, to both men.

I also think no matter how close Jack came to death, that he knows there is real feeling and affection in Hannibal for a very few of the world's people, and he knows that he, Will, Alana, and perhaps Bella were among those few.

Forgive me for being naive, but it seems to me that if someone launched a boat solo from the Chesapeake Bay to Florence, Italy (which, by the way, is landlocked but for the Arno) they would make the headlines of the Chesapeake Bay Herald (™, me), the Washington Post, and the AOL headline slider.

That sort of trip would be akin to the "first solo solar powered flight around the world" type of media hype.

Not remotely. It wouldn't even get a second glance from a certain subset of serious sailors, who frequently make long voyages with minimal fuss. I grew up on sailboats on and off, and the one Will was helming was plenty big enough to cross an ocean comfortably. (I grew up with a Navy Dad, and whenever we got transferred, my Dad would often just sail us there, with my sister and me acting as crew. We crossed the Atlantic Basin in a 37-foot sailboat when I was 14.) It would only be a "story" if someone wanted to promote it or called a news outlet. Otherwise, it's just a guy taking his boat out for a cruise.

Meanwhile, the one final thing I wanted to mention that struck me in this episode was this almost palpable yearning, in a very odd way, for Hannibal's presence -- a need to understand him. Alana and her bright cold rage. Chilton and his wounded vanity. Will and his lonely dark mirror. Jack, still asking questions about death.

What I think the show does very well is that it acknowledges what an utterly unique experience it would be to know someone like Hannibal. In a banal, brash, braying, trashy, increasingly semi-illiterate world, Hannibal is an extraordinary figure -- a cultured, brilliant person whose presence and friendship would certainly be treasured, right down to the perfect calligraphy and sentiment of each handwritten note. 

Which is why there's, to me, an almost palpable air of loss and confusion to all these people about Hannibal. A feeling of real grief, and even envy and fascination, at the loss of this fallen angel and godlike being from their lives. Every single thing the man sets his mind or body to accomplish, he does perfectly.

I absolutely think they're good people who are ready and willing to take Hannibal down. But there's a regret there too -- a regret at having to remove this extraordinary person from the world -- from all he might have been, had he only turned his powers to good. I understand why Will mourns -- for good or for evil, Hannibal is unique, and they will never see his like again.

ETA: Ack, typos!

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 15
(edited)

I enjoy the beauty of the show and don't watch any of it through my fingers.  I don't find any of it disgusting or really, all that disturbing other than what goes on in my mind.  Hitchcock used to say that the less you show, the more you terrify.  In other words, less is more.  So, for me, "Hannibal" is a smorgasbord of visual eye candy.  

It's the mental part of it that rings hollow to me.

As for Will sailing to Florence -- if it's so de rigeur for folks to set sail*, I must ask why.  There are other more practical ways to get there -- unless the boat is going to come in to it soon as far as his stay in Florence?  

*Btw, I'm not overly delighted to think of the poor old "ships at sea" who have to come to folks' rescue because they set out foolishly.  I'm thinking of the guys who headed out with their toddlers on board.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/07/sailing-family-rescue-social-media-storm/7421463/

Here's a nice article:  http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0502/excerpt1.html

Nice page with map:  http://www.libertysails.com/html/atlantic_crossing.html

Again, why?

ETA:  Just in case anyone is wondering (no, I'm sure not) -- my screenname comes from being a career Air Force and Air National Guard intercontinental jumbo jet pilot (C-5s) and twice-over war veteran.  Most of my flying was East Coast US to Europe, South America, and Africa.  I am not a sailor but I do have a hell of a lot of Atlantic crossings under my belt -- 1,000s tbh.  

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

As for Will sailing to Florence -- if it's so de rigeur for folks to set sail*, I must ask why.  There are other more practical ways to get there -- unless the boat is going to come in to it soon as far as his stay in Florence?

It's free. And maybe Will doesn't have a passport so he's sneaking in.

As for his sailing not getting press, obviously the newspapers in this alternate world hire terrible reporters since Hannibal's photo hasn't shown up anywhere after his near murder of three and murder of one, all in the same night. So there's that.

• Love 3

Would it really get press though?  Does every boat that leave the harbor or bay (or wherever he left from) get press.  How would they know where he's going unless he told someone?  Even if you have to file some kind of flight plan (not sure what it would be called in sailing) he could lie.  And that's all assuming he did take the boat all the way to Italy.

• Love 1

The lack of media coverage is part of the fantasy of this show, to me.  I've read the books (once each, years ago) but I don't know if the press plays into them at all.  However, an international man hunt with Hannibal's picture everywhere and him hiding out in the woods like the two they just caught would make it a completely different show.  There are enough fantastical / magical realist elements to this show that I can happily buy the internet is not a thing people use in this world.

• Love 2

I think the sailing bit is because Will is all about solitude, just him and his head Abigail. A plane would be full of people and he couldn't really commune with his pissed off ex and their dead child, in quite the way he wants to. But yeah, no previous reference made to being a sailor, suddenly sails across the Atlantic because he's not on any time table for catching Hannibal, he can kill or not kill as many tony Europeans as his heart desires, while Will works through his emotions.

Again I'm grateful that Fuller has dropped the pretense that this show was ever about anything but his own Mind Palace. I'm enjoying the hell out of his give no fucks absurdity.

I love the new Alana and her interactions with the Vergers, I got a kick out of forever inconsequential Chilton, and thank god for Jack the only one who can keep his eye on the damn prize. I didn't mind him not rejecting the flowers, because I assumed it was about Bella's final-ish words to him, that he can CUT OUT what is killing him, the note/flowers could be a tool in that effort.

• Love 3

Will's scene with the sailboat worked for me on many levels:

1. It echoes back to the later time-jump, when Will is working on repairing a boat engine when Jack shows up.
  2. It's a nice, subtle callout to where Red Dragon begins (boats are a deliberate part of Will's new life and the way he heals from his near-death experience with Lecter)
  3. It's a believable and solitary outlet for Will, and one that requires skill and confidence.
  4. It's a gorgeous metaphor on a show filled with water references -- Will is now longer in lakes or streams. He's now confidently traveling oceans.

To me, it's actually a pretty good below-the-radar choice for Will to use for travel -- if he did sail to Europe (and I'm not sure he did), his leaving a marina in that boat wouldn't elicit the slightest interest from anyone. There would be a large number of smaller and larger boats in any standard marina, including vessels that routinely made similar or even longer journeys.

On the media question, I feel like the show takes place in a world where the Internet exists, but that it's perhaps not quite as pervasive as ours. It doesn't bother me that Hannibal's face isn't being flashed incessantly across Facebook on the show -- I like the show's rather timeless approach to the cat and mouse game (which feels more intimate and classic with just a handful of pursuers, all with personal stakes in the game), and also am able to fanwank it that it's only after Hannibal is caught that the media is truly aware of what has transpired (and then erupts in horror).

• Love 7
(edited)

But didn't Freddie and Abigail use the Internet a lot? Wasn't Freddie a blogger? Wasn't the whole idea that the media was in their faces? Wasn't that the whole problem with The Tattler? That it was public and vulgar?

Also, I recall Graham lived at the beach in Manhunter and was very protective of the local turtles but I honestly don't remember a love of boats, per se. Maybe that was in the movie Hannibal, which I barely remember?

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

Regarding the media, it is worth noting that we see the world the characters see.  Many of them are not interested in media coverage of these events because they lived them.  Hannibal enjoys reading about his own exploits, but after he left for Europe he maintained a low profile until Dimmond.  And he was on site to see Will, who interested him more than the press.  The media firestorm may have gone on outside this calm center, but it is eight months since the "red dinner" or "last act of Hamlet," and attention spans are short.

Hannibal is an extraordinary figure -- a cultured, brilliant person whose presence and friendship would certainly be treasured, right down to the perfect calligraphy and sentiment of each handwritten note.

He is the gravity well they orbit.  This reminds me of dear old Franklin from the first season.  He was drawn to unique people, and would have given anything to be in Hannibal's circle, but Hannibal did not choose him.

• Love 2

Also, I recall Graham lived at the beach in Manhunter and was very protective of the local turtles but I honestly don't remember a love of boats, per se. Maybe that was in the movie Hannibal, which I barely remember?

In the book Red Dragon, Will is definitely repairing boats, and when Jack approaches Will in Manhunter, he's either working as a boat repairer or repairing his own boat (Jack's first line even mentions that they "should have talked at the boatyards"). There's also a beautiful dream sequence early on in which Will and his wife bring a large engine onto a boat (perhaps their boat).

So I liked the tie between these Wills and the show's Will with the revelation of the boat here -- I think the boat is an important part of Will's recovery and rebirth after what happened to him. To me it's a healthy kind of isolation and almost cleansing choice after what Will has been through. And after the oceans of blood Will has witnessed, the ocean itself would seem clean (and in Jungian terms, the ocean can symbolize baptism or the unconscious mind, both good symbolic choices here).

He is the gravity well they orbit.  This reminds me of dear old Franklin from the first season.  He was drawn to unique people, and would have given anything to be in Hannibal's circle, but Hannibal did not choose him.

Beautifully said. I think this is the very heart of the show in terms of the power Hannibal seems to have over others (i.e., the only thing worse than being noticed by Hannibal is being dismissed by him entirely).

• Love 3
(edited)

There is that boat dream sequence!  That's right!  I'd forgotten it.  (Mann had it in sunshine and Florida, no? Not the Chesapeake in winter. I like the change, personally.  Not a big Florida person.  It was good for Mann, though, considering his Miami Vice!)

Sorry, all, I will never be able to fanwank Will sailing to Florence and even, sort of, wonder if -- what with all the timing wonkiness -- that was actually what Fuller was implying.  He may not have meant to imply that at all.  Perhaps Will was just going for a nice ride on a boat now that he's fixed it.  Even though, living in isolated Virginia and being an avid Chesapeake sailor to the point where you keep the boat in the barn -- it just makes no sense to me.  I'm from the area, by the way, born and bred.  That just isn't how we operate.  He'd live in Annapolis.  People who live where he does in the show are usually horsey.  People who are boat-y live on the Eastern Shore or -- if Virginia is your persuasion, in Norfolk/Va Beach, which can be just as cold and isolated.  And he can still reach Quantico easily by car and, "Just ignore the weirdo, that's Will Graham" by boat.  It just doesn't compute.

I'll leave it now, though.  I've been in stubborn conversations before and know when to let it nag me and drop it.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

Also, if he were boaty enough to sail by himself, we'd have seen some other evidence of boatiness in the first two seasons. You don't just pick up a love and skill of sailing in the months following violent guttings by (former?) friends.

I'll also second book-Will being boaty.

• Love 2
(edited)

Some random boat references (just from the first episodes).

Amuse-Bouche:

I should've stuck to fixing boat motors in Louisiana.

Œuf:

Sometimes… at night I leave the lights on in my little house. And walk across the flat fields When I look back from a distance, the house is like a boat on the sea.

Will may feel the tug of life before the FBI, before you. Simpler times in boatyards with dad. That life is an anchor streamed behind him in heavy weather. He needs an anchor, Jack.

Coquilles:

And then maybe I'll find a job as a diesel mechanic in a boatyard.

Edited by unworried well
  • Love 5
(edited)

This season has been exquisitely beautiful and interesting but a little over the top esoterically speaking.  But "Fannibals" are not satisfied with shallow simplistic plots.

I have felt the separation of all the characters very keenly.  Hannibal and Bedelia being together is a bit soothing but a lot like a very tense chess game.  I do love the dynamic of the Lectors though.  Mads and Gillian look so good together. The timing the actors have is very, very good.

My heart bleeds for Will.  He is so alone, save for the ghost of Abigail.  He seems lost and without purpose since Hannibal left.  The scenes with Jack and Bella were so poignant.  I'm sad to see Bella go.  But Jack is free to pursue Hannibal without fear of what may happen to Bella as a result.  Alana seems more than changed.  I do think I preferred her as naive and unsuspecting of Hannibal.  Of all those who were hurt in Hannibal's escape I feel the least sorry for her. She chose Hannibal over Will and got what she deserved- bit obvious that I do not care for Alana.  Love, the smarmy Chilton's return.  I miss Michael Pitt.  He plays chilling and soulless so well.  The new guy is not menacing whatsoever. I bet even the pigs will find him uninteresting.

Hannibal is a fascinating and visually beautiful show. Its failure on network tv is disappointing.  I guess schlock is what the masses enjoy.  No thinking required.

Edited by CatLady
  • Love 2

Chilton wandering around with his Bouquet of Revenge and no one accepting it. Hahahaha!

It seems like they're setting up Alana both as Margot's love interest and a co-conspirator of Mason's, which seem mutually contradictory. We'll see.

I don't think the show has gotten boring, but this seemed like an in-between episode. No real plot developments.

• Love 2
(edited)

The sailing thing kind of cracked me up. It was gloriously and ridiculously romantic. Sailing all the way across the Atlantic by himself! Well, I guess he still had Imaginary Abigail with him at least periodically. She's probably terrible at helping with the sails, though.

Ha, that's what I was wondering!

Single-hander, all the way across the Atlantic & half of the the Mediterranean?  Wow!

Yeah, sorry but I can barely suspend my disbelief on this. Ok, probably he's not going to Florence but to Palermo (isn't that the first Italian city Will visited in previous epsidoes?) which makes a little bit more sense, since it's by the sea and, who knows, probably they're trying to suggest that Italian navy didn't catch an American citizen sailing solo to Italy because Sicily is too busy with the migration crisis to care about him, but... c'mon!

Anyway, I still have some trouble accepting their suggestion that Hannibal could be "Il Mostro di Firenze" (since, for those who don't know, we are talking about the most famous, real Italian serial killer who never got caught) but that's just me.

I'm with ya. I'm grimly hanging on out of loyalty, respect for most of the actors, and for the visual beauty (which includes Mads). I've completely lost the story.

Regarding the striking visuals - just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. A little goes a long way.

I don't think I would watch another season of this, unless it was using a heavy-handed fast forward.

I agree. Yes, this show is beautiful, we get it (even though there are scenes that almost make me throw up). But, imo, they're insisting a bit too much on this aspect to the point it looks self-pretentious. I HATE procedural drama, I don't care about victims-of-the-week/patients-of-the-week and whatnot and I can only (barely) watch them if there's a main story that allows continuity. So, it's not the loss of the investigation that I miss from S1/S2. It's a logic development. I know this is not a show that goes for realism and concreteness, but a little bit wouldn't waste. I find myself watching out of loyalty too and because I like the actors involved, but it's really hard sometimes!

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 1

I can't help but wonder if it might have been wiser to use Chilton and the Bouquet of Revenge in episodes two, three *and* four - use him to kick off those individual storylines in those episodes, to both give viewers a sense of movement (in terms of resolving the S3 cliffhanger) and mild comic relief. 

That would have been awesome.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, sorry but I can barely suspend my disbelief on this. Ok, probably he's not going to Florence but to Palermo (isn't that the first Italian city Will visited in previous epsidoes?) which makes a little bit more sense, since it's by the sea and, who knows, probably they're trying to suggest that Italian navy didn't catch an American citizen sailing solo to Italy because Sicily is too busy with the migration crisis to care about him, but... c'mon!

I am sorry, am I  missing something, why would the Italian Navy need to catch Will? He is not a wanted criminal, he is not coming into their country illegally. He is not trying to sneak in to Italy. He is just an American who chose to use his own boat as a means of traveling into their country. As long as he has the proper permits and papers, it should be no problem and not that different than driving one's own car though a border... And I doubt it is that much paperwork too given most countries don't even ask for a visa from US citizens.

Some random boat references (just from the first episodes).

Amuse-Bouche:

Œuf:

Coquilles:

Thanks for pointing out to all those boat references unworried well, I wasn't aware it was referred to that much, probably in part because my subconscious categorized them under "further water-related references for Will".... This just makes me appreciate the writing even more and actually make me ealize my initial "heh, that is a bit dramatic" reaction to Will sailing was more about ME and how I approach sailing than how Will would. I love little daily boat trips, but even if sometimes tempted by idea of a cruise, I always find myself dreading staying in a boat overnight and having to sleep in such small spaces. Just not my thing, I need to return to the land at the end of the day, I think. But I know people who own boats and know how to sail are rather comfortable in boats and sailing long distances is no big deal for them, it feels natural and they don't worry and fear about things like I do as they know what they are doing.... And Will is such a person. Water is where he is at most ease and comfortable so of course that would be how he chooses to go on his big "journey", especially if boats give him a sense of security and is "home"... Love this.

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric
  • Love 3
(edited)

*Btw, I'm not overly delighted to think of the poor old "ships at sea" who have to come to folks' rescue because they set out foolishly.  I'm thinking of the guys who headed out with their toddlers on board.  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/07/sailing-family-rescue-social-media-storm/7421463/

Here's a nice article:  http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0502/excerpt1.html

But that's assuming that there isn't a huge population of people who are not fools heading out to sea, who are able to routinely navigate oceans and large distances with no mishaps or problems. Many, many people solo oceans and they aren't Guinness or daredevil types or anything, they're just experienced sailors.

I know it sounds exotic, but it's a very real thing, and I grew up doing this on and off, and was navigating and taking the wheel from before I was ten. And when I was 14, I had three 2-hour watches per day -- in the middle of the Atlantic (my Dad was on board and supervising of course). We were experienced, well-informed, and kept an eye out for ships (and unfortunately pirates/bad folks), and had a LORAN-C (satellite nav) and all the usual tools (and that was in the 80s -- there are tons more now), so while it was certainly dangerous to a degree (anything can happen at sea), it wasn't necessarily foolish.

And no worries -- our mileage may simply vary and I won't belabor this further, but I did think it was worth a few additional clarifications, in case it helps. :-)

Also, if he were boaty enough to sail by himself, we'd have seen some other evidence of boatiness in the first two seasons. You don't just pick up a love and skill of sailing in the months following violent guttings by (former?) friends.

I'll also second book-Will being boaty.

For me it works because there have been casual references throughout, and I loved the sudden reveal here because to me it was something that Will may have gotten away from but returned to after nearly dying at Hannibal's hands. There is so much that's beautiful and symbolic about the sea, as well.

I also want to point out -- just for argument's sake -- that we don't know that Will sailed to Europe at all. We just saw him go for a sail. Also, that was a pretty nice heavy-duty boat -- it looked to me like a motor-sailer (they have bigger engines) with a lot of nice bells and whistles.

Thanks for pointing out to all those boat references unworried well, I wasn't aware it was referred to that much, probably in part because my subconscious categorized them under "further water-related references for Will".... This just makes me appreciate the writing even more and actually make me ealize my initial "heh, that is a bit dramatic" reaction to Will sailing was more about ME and how I approach sailing than how Will would. I love little daily boat trips, but even if sometimes tempted by idea of a cruise, I always find myself dreading staying in a boat overnight and having to sleep in such small spaces. Just not my thing, I need to return to the land at the end of the day, I think. But I know people who own boats and know how to sail are rather comfortable in boats and sailing long distances is no big deal for them, it feels natural and they don't worry and fear about things like I do as they know what they are doing.... And Will is such a person. Water is where he is at most ease and comfortable so of course that would be how he chooses to go on his big "journey", especially if boats give him a sense of security and is "home"... Love this.

I agree (and thanks also unworried well for the additional boat references!) -- Will has always been associated with water, and I felt like narratively his taking to the sea is both believable and poetic.

When we first met Will, he was uncomfortable in his own skin, hated being around people, and was most at ease fishing alone or being in his remote cabin with all his dogs. Then the past 2 seasons happened and Will was suspected, treated like a freak, incarcerated, betrayed, nearly killed, and his psyche was constantly being battered or turned inside out by Hannibal and everyone else. And then there's the matter of grief for those he wasn't able to save.

So for me it isn't a stretch to me that he would embrace returning to the sea -- and if he did in fact sail to Europe, it would not only give him time for some solitude and peace, it would also be the most independent way for him to do it -- he is completely in control of his own movements and difficult to track as well.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 6
So for me it isn't a stretch to me that he would embrace returning to the sea -- and if he did in fact sail to Europe, it would not only give him time for some solitude and peace, it would also be the most independent way for him to do it -- he is completely in control of his own movements and difficult to track as well.

I think that is why I don't have a problem with the pace of S4 so far, too. The way I see it, Will is not a character in an action movie rushing off after the big bad to catch him asap, rather I believe this season is more of a soul searching journey for Will, even if it does also include/end with catching Hannibal. So I think his journey starting with him sailing and things having a slower pace at first is all just appropriate.

• Love 3