Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Aperitivo

Mason looks like a Muppet version of John Green now.

Alana, however, looks gorgeous. Near-death experiences become her.

I was happy to see Chilton. I was even happier to see Will's dogs.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just kept thinking of this during all of Mason's scenes:

r104e8.jpg

Since this is a fictional world and nobody's actually getting eaten, I kind of want Will and Hannibal to work things out.

Edited by Tippi Blevins
  • Love 7

I feel awful for Chilton.  No one wants to play revenge fantasy with him.

"I don't need religion to appreciate the idea of old testament revenge." Alana you used to be such a nice girl.

This show is so beautifully shot it amazes me sometimes.  The scene where Jack was standing waiting for Bella at the alter then it turned to him kissing her in her coffin was beautiful and sad.  I know this show gets shit ratings but I don't understand why.  This is has got to be the best written and filmed show on tv.  

• Love 15

Chilton and Verger were awesome. I liked the steely Alana too. Besides that, the Will and Jack (did he put Bella out of her misery?) stuff bored me. Fitting that Verger looks like a pig now.

So it's not just me?

I also thought Jack "helped" Bella pass on.

(edited)

Verger was much more grotesque in my imagination. That was a bit disappointing. Did they recast him? He seemed a bit different but also a bit the same.

Yeah, for whatever reason, Michael Pitts dropped out and he's now being played by Joe Anderson.  I actually adjusted to the recast better then usual, but a lot of that might have been because Mason is so different from what he was in season two, to say the least.

I usually am not wild about Alana Bloom; don't hate her but she's just there.  But icy, vengeful Alana, who wants to go "Old Testament" on Hannibal's ass?  Now, this Alana intrigues me.  Certainly helps that Caroline Dhavernas looked awesome tonight. Costume department went all out with her suits.  And I usually don't automatically go there, but I kind of thought she had some interesting chemistry with Katharine Isabelle, in that brief Alana/Margot scene. 

The gang is almost back!  Chilton!  Both Mason and Margot Verger!  Bella!  All that is missing is a Freddie Lounds appearance.  It was great seeing everyone again, but my favorite is easily Dr. Chilton's return.  Raúl Esparza is just the best.  His character is so smug, egotistical, and slimy.  And I love him for it.

I definitely got the sense that Jack put Bella out of her misery.  I'm pretty sure that is why they focused so much on him grabbing that medicine.  I'll miss Gina Torres on this show (glad that she and Laurence Fishburne have chemistry both on and off the screen), but I'm glad her suffering is finally over.  And I'm sure this will change Jack in a lot of ways.

Can't believe that they got Glenn Fleshler from True Detective to play this doctor of Verger's, who is going to help him kill Hannibal. Because, really, I know their plan won't likely work, but I can certainly buy The Yellow King giving him a decent scrap.

Glad we got an update on Will's dogs.  Clearly this is an important issue that needed to be addressed.

Next week: 

oh, I really do hope it isn't a mislead, and Jack does get to be the first one to kick Hannibal's ass.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

I usually am not wild about Alana Bloom; don't hate her but she's just there.  But icy, vengeful Alana, who wants to go "Old Testament" on Hannibal's ass?  Now, this Alana intrigues me.  Certainly helps that Caroline Dhavernas looked awesome tonight. Costume department went all out with her suits.  And I usually don't automatically go there, but I kind of thought she had some interesting chemistry with Katharine Isabelle, in that brief Alana/Margot scene.

That was intentional! Bryan tweeted about it. Will be interesting to see how that develops.

• Love 4

I admire Jack's restraint when Will was all "I'd totally run away with Hannibal even now." I couldn't have refrained from a really loud "what the fuck?!?" reaction.

And Jack gets a condolence letter from Hannibal. There's something to treasure.

Jack, run now. Run far.

• Love 7

It's weird that even though not that much actually happened in this episode plotwise, I really liked it. I think it was mostly because Chilton was trying so hard to get anyone to play with him. It was like watching a little kid walk around to every person on the playground trying to get someone to play with him.

As much as I like Hannibal and Will, I really liked seeing so many of the other characters. I'm okay with Freddie not being around this week though.

• Love 4

The most shocking thing in this episode for me was actually finding Alana Bloom interesting. Clearly all that marrow in her blood is is a good thing. 

And, poor Frederick. Keep delivering those flowers, buddy. Someone will play with you.

• Love 7
(edited)

This episode was so unbelievably slow. I'm so frustrated nothing's really happening this season. Where're the plots? I guess I  just didn't anticipate this show not moving forward. It's too much at a standstill. I know Fuller said this season's more of the kind of the show he's always wanted to do but I'm not seeing where this season's going at all!

Anyway, the show doesn't work without the main focus being Hannibal/Will and the rest of the cast supporting them. So not interested in the new Mason Verger. So not interested nor was I ever interested in Alana. She's the weakest of all the characters. But I do always enjoy seeing Dr. Chilton.

I admire Jack's restraint when Will was all "I'd totally run away with Hannibal even now." I couldn't have refrained from a really loud "what the fuck?!?" reaction.

I wish Jack would've hauled off and smacked him! I'm getting really frustrated at this season's Will. I just don't like what they're doing to his character at all. If they didn't get away from the FBI theme so much I would've loved to see a confident and reliable Will working with Jack to bring Hannibal to justice.

Edited by kmm49
  • Love 8

Yes, I was like "WTF Will!"  But you know, I do get it.  To Will, Hannibal was the only person who understood and accepted him.  

I do agree that this season is slow, it feels different; I guess it's because Hannibal is on the run and he and Will aren't together.  I think the problem with this show is that it's a show for binge watching rather than weekly watching, if that makes sense.

• Love 4

Two of my extended family members have died in hospice recently. One waited until her family was all present to pass, one waited until everybody had gone before passing. One of our nurses said that she sees both behaviors about equally distributed. So when Jack talked about Bella wanting him to be out of the room, I got hit square in the feels.

I suppose it's superfluous, but kudos to the makeup fx peeps this week. From Chilton's face bullet, to Mason's surgery, we got all kinds of ooky stuff.

Is that device that stabilized Alana's pelvis a real version of the thing? Looked fancy.

• Love 7

Can they maybe speed up the pacing? Not saying it has to be action-packed, but they can create the mood and suspense without making everything snail mode. I don't understand why Bedelia and Will are such slow talkers.

I miss Hannibal's weekly dinner parties.

• Love 6

And Jack gets a condolence letter from Hannibal. There's something to treasure.

Jack, run now. Run far.

I actually think this is all part of Will's plan.  He is being purposely ambiguous when he's talking to people because he doesn't want anyone else involved in the hunt for Lecter because he doesn't want to see anyone else hurt.  To me, it was telling that when he told Jack he wanted to run away with Hannibal, he had his back turned because he couldn't lie to Jack's face.

• Love 6

I don't know. Wouldn't it have been better then to say he's totally ready to move on and not involve himself in any Hannibal-related mess? Then Jack could be like, "Whew, okay, then I don't have to worry about you as much or keep such close tabs on you!" Letting Jack know he's still kind of cuckoo for cannibal puffs would just make Jack more likely to interfere, I think.

• Love 7

I actually think this is all part of Will's plan.  He is being purposely ambiguous when he's talking to people because he doesn't want anyone else involved in the hunt for Lecter because he doesn't want to see anyone else hurt.  To me, it was telling that when he told Jack he wanted to run away with Hannibal, he had his back turned because he couldn't lie to Jack's face.

I agree with this to a point, although Will has clearly lost more than a bit of his mind. I think he knows he can never be "free" as long as Hannibal is running around loose in the world, but also doesn't want him dead, which is why he keeps trying to keep other people from chasing after Lecter.

• Love 1

I wish Jack would've hauled off and smacked him! I'm getting really frustrated at this season's Will. I just don't like what they're doing to his character at all.

This. No one seems human this season except Jack.

And I'd never really cared about them in the past, but I really miss the lab guys. They added some much needed levity. Anyone know if they'll be back in the latter half of the season?

• Love 7
(edited)

I love this show but lawd this season, this season is dampening my love. I don't understand where they are going with the narrative, the timeline, the tale. How does this episode relate to last week's episode? I'm guessing this is before Will went to Italy? Some of the imagery this episode was WTF weird to me. What was with the scene with Jack, Hannibal, Will at dinner and then Hannibal slices Jack's throat at the table and then we get that interspersed with Will spot welding and Hannibal doing something with a head? Huh? 

Not just that but I feel the dialogue is odd too. Like it is just a bit too subtle. Like they are always speaking in metaphors or prose or something. The whole show just feels like it is just taking itself way too seriously. It is to the point for me where the shows feels like a bunch of scenes slapped together because it doesn't feel cohesive. I don't want to feel that way. 

I just want to know: Is this a hunt for Hannibal or isn't it? 

The Mason Verger scenes are the only ones I thoroughly enjoyed.

I guessed it takes serious spinal damage to get Alanna out of those wrap dresses and into some fabulous clothes and killer red lipstick

Chilton should have his own youtube makeup tutorial page and huge following.

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 9
(edited)

I think this season is my favorite of the three. The imagery is amazing and I am loving the slow pace of it. The first season was bogged down by police procedural. I am not a fan of cop shows but this one was at least visually stunning which madr it bearable for me. The second season cat and mouse games were fun and the emotional turmoil made the second season a big step up from the first and I loved it but i am enjoying the artistic nature of this so much more. It is beautiful to watch.

Edited by Chaos Theory
(edited)

What was with the scene with Jack, Hannibal, Will at dinner and then Hannibal slices Jack's throat at the table and then we get that interspersed with Will spot welding and Hannibal doing something with a head?

I just want to know: Is this a hunt for Hannibal or isn't it?

Here's my take on that scene ... it shows that, in the end, Will chose Hannibal over Jack. It was a pretty heavy handed way of showing that Will basically stabbed Jack in the back when he called Hannibal to warn him that "they know". I think that's why they had the scene in Will's barn directly follow the throat cutting mess. Now ... the welding was just Will working on his boat. But I had to reeeaaaaalllly stretch my belief that Will can actually weld. And since when does he have a boat????

Anyway ... yes. I think they're all hunting for Hannibal, but while people like Verger and Alana want revenge and death for Lecter, Jack and Chilton want him alive and in custody - Jack for justice and Chilton for "study" and of course, fame. Will? I'm not so sure what he wants. Does he want Hannibal caught or does he want to "run away with" him? The *only* thing I'm sure of is that Will wants him alive.

Edited by murf1013
  • Love 2

Is it bad that when Mason said he wanted to eat Hannibal, my first thought was also "how would you like him prepared?"

Alana is working the power suits and red lipstick of going to the darkside. So true that she's more interesting this way.

but I kind of thought she had some interesting chemistry with Katharine Isabelle, in that brief Alana/Margot scene.

Oh my GOD. MOST LESBIAN CONVERSATION EVER. That was amazing, and as my husband put it, "Awesome, yes please!" 

I love Alana's transformation; hell, all of the characters have transubstantiated through Lecter's ceremony at the house. Jack has had his last earthly ties loosened, Alana has gone from flower to bird of prey, Chilton to deranged boy dectective, Mason to strapped up, strapped down pig dog. Will, of course, has tried to pretend that he's Hannibal's creature now, a helpless little moon in a gas giant's wake, but as usual when you treat with the devil, you lose everything but the one thing you're running from. Will's goal in life has been to quit being used for his empathic, losing himself powers by everyone around him, and now? He's himself. He's reached the point where he can't merge anymore, no matter how much he wants to abdicate responsibility to Hannibal. 

Hannibal's assembled quite the ragged Avengers team to chase him down, hasn't he? The one thing he can't give up? Being needed, being important, being the focus of people's lives. He sent that note to make sure Jack wouldn't ditch him. He can't bear being left.

• Love 7

So it's not just me?

I also thought Jack "helped" Bella pass on.

I thought so, too.

"I'm all ears. They've just been... redistributed." That made me chuckle. 

I can't wait until they get Will into a more grounded head space again. I liked the Will who wanted revenge, and justice. 

• Love 2
I actually adjusted to the recast better then usual, but a lot of that might have been because Mason is so different from what he was in season two, to say the least.

That makes sense to me because not only is another actor playing the role (and very well too), the point of the aftermath is to show how everybody's changed. 

Mason used to be a dilettante, happy to spend his days sticking pigs and drinking tears when he's not beating up Margot or driving orphans into despair. He's actually serious when he says he's grateful to Hannibal because it's given him focus and purpose in his life (and his deranged sociopathy.) He's turned himself into a supervillain, using his money and power like octopus tentacles to hunt down the guy he underestimated, and he's having a ball doing it.

• Love 2

I'll miss Gina Torres on this show (glad that she and Laurence Fishburne have chemistry both on and off the screen)

Aren't they married in real life?

And wow, to Mason's transformation. I knew that wasn't the same guy, but they totally changed the makeup, too. He looked so much worse in the movie Hannibal, and when Pitt played him. He was almost easy on the eyes in this episode.

• Love 1

Aren't they married in real life?

Yes indeed; the only thing that got me through their scenes was chanting "In real life they are happy, in real life they are FINE, in real life they are heading home to make dinner..."

• Love 5

Jack totally helped Bella along.

This is the only show I find myself needing to view multiple times. And now after that scene b/t Jack & Will, I feel like I need to go back and watch the last couple episodes again.

I really wish NBC would just make the whole season available. Stupid Aquarius was renewed and all those episodes are available.

• Love 5
(edited)
That was intentional!

If I were Alaina and had just gone through a "relationship" with Hannibal, I'd turn lesbian in a heartbeat. Or even better: celibate.

I just hope Will isn't going that way, being "in love" with Hannibal. I don't know whether to believe him or not in what he says.

I do agree with Islandgal, this show is written in metaphors and prose. It's too hard for me to try to puzzle out what people are REALLY saying.

Odd that Will wanted to be alone in Hannibal's empty house, even though Abigail was keeping him company.

I did like this episode, but I have to say, after being obsessed with this show for the past two years, this season is making me not that sorry there will be no next season.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
(edited)

My interest in "Hannibal" before this series was just Hannibal, due to the movies -but not to the point where I bothered to read the books. With this series Will Graham became a quite interesting character for me, as did Will/Hannibal relationship (to the point I'd be more than happy to never ever have Clarice show up) so I do like seeing them obsessed with one another and conflicted about what to do with eachother. I am glad it is never as easy or clear cut as "he is my enemy/evil/a threat to me need to get rid of him". So, I was OK with hearing Will admit that till the phone call he had made no choice and upon hearing Hannibal's voice he did decide to run away with him. For one the admission didn't seem to be an easy one to make (and I think was part of why he was avoiding Jack, he felt guilty) and he as he said it himself, he didn't plan or wish for this, it was just how it happened - kind of echoes Hannibal's "can't control who we love" statement in previous epi.  "mutually unspoken pact to ignore the worst in one another so we continue to enjoy the best" - Definitely explains Will/Hannibal relationship rather well. The "good" is soo good & unique, neither can give it up. Hannibal won't kill Will despite his betrayal, and Will can't bring himself to hate and kill Hannibal despite his evil.

In a way I'd say there have been two pulls in Will's life, his sense of duty and doing the right thing -despite how hard it is- which one might call his "work for FBI", and then there is Hannibal, the easiness of his friendship, the understanding, the special connection.... The brilliance of Hannibal was how he managed to alienate or put some distance between Will and his other "friends" (and he was trying to do that even in S1 regarding Jack, Will even called him out on it once), which I think was one his main goals when he framed Will and got him incarcerated. The whole thing did damage Will's relationship to the two people he was closest to (and even if Jack and he seemed to be back in good terms I think there was still some hurt there) as well as his connection to FBI -who were very eager to throw him under the bus to save themselves.  And if memory serves, Hannibal's last offer to Will was to simply run away, where they wouldn't even bother with killing Jack (Will was the one insisting on the "kill Jack" scenario, as that was how he and Jack planned to catch Hannibal), so it was a "no strings attached" offer of pure friendship. When FBI decided to arrest Jack and Will, "Operation:Catch Hannibal" was already ruined as far as Will knew, so when he called Hannibal just as the FBI came after him once again (for trying to do the job they hired him for, no less), I can see why, in that moment & given everything he has been through (and FBI coming after him yet again), he'd cave into the temptation that is Hannibal's friendship and decide to warn Hannibal to run, wishing he could go with him.  I don't see it as a betrayal of Jack, necessarily, as he didn't know Jack would go there early, without telling him. For all Will knew, FBI were arresting Jack too right in that moment...So for me, what had happened in that moment is, Hannibal "won" in the tug-of-war with "FBI" sides of things... doesn't mean it is a definitive win and Will is completely lost though. It was a momentary thing. I think even Will doesn't know what will happen the next time he has such a moment and is to make a decision.

And as bloody and awful as events of S2 finale were, fact remains that Hannibal had spared Abigail and had her as a "gift" for Will, for his friendship. Another sign of how genuine Hannibal's offer of  friendship and leaving all else behind was. I think it is possible part of Will is blaming himself for what happened more than he blames Hannibal. "if only I haven't betrayed him.... If only I had gone away with him when he first offered..." It would have spared Abigail, and it would not have Jack and Alana hurt.... He knows this. Must be eating away at him.

I think somewhere down the line Will's sense of duty and doing the right thing will prevail again, but I am completely fine with him being lost and confused and still tempted by Hannibal right now. He is still very much alienated from his "old friends" and Hannibal is all he has left. That is also why I think Jack coming for Will is important. The first half of this season is more about Jack vs Hannibal for Will's soul, I think. And Will has Chilton to thank for it, as he is the one who pointed it out to Jack that he was abandoning Will once again, and in doing so pretty much giving him up to Hannibal. Chilton's interest in Will and Hannibal is self-serving, true, but at least he seems to be reading things right, and is giving them good advice. And does he get a thank you, like ever? Nope. Poor Chilton.

I think Alana and Chilton did come to an agreement on working together for the Will/Hannibal showdown. That may be why Alana went to Mason too? I miss the Alana that was Will's friend and had a warmth and protectiveness about her, but I am also finding this new vengeful, cold Alana rather interesting.

Will talking to himself (in Hannibal voice??) in Hannibal's kitchen was creepy. As was him turning to look at an all bloodied up ghost!Abigail to give her a small smile. Someone is in serious need of therapy, if only the one and only therapist who ever worked out for him wasn't the one who made him this way...

Bella & Jack Forever. You can just feel the love in all the scenes.

Mason starting to choke just as he is needling and being gross to Alana regarding her relationship with Hannibal, perfect! Made even better that it came after all his "I found religion" and God will punish those who wronged me etc bs, because from that POV, here is God choking him, heh. I love this show.

Awww, Hannibal's note made Jack tear up. Hannibal, that may just be among the worst things you did on this show, making Jack cry. but I think it also has a part in Jack's newfound "oh, no, you are not getting Will" goal, so thanks Hannibal...

Edited by DeadlyEuphoric
  • Love 6

I love this show but lawd this season, this season is dampening my love. I don't understand where they are going with the narrative, the timeline, the tale.

I have all the episodes ready to watch but still haven't. I just have been feeling the way you posted. Loved season 1. Season 2 less so but still great, but so far season 3 and what I have read about it is just not enticing me. I feel like skipping  the previous eppys and just watching this one. I think I am waiting for the Red Dragon and feeling discouraged because I am not sure how much of it was actually filmed. Is it worth a watch?  I am just feeling so depressed that have given up on so many of my previous favourite shows (Sleepy Hollow, Revenge, OUAT) that I hate giving up this one too. Especially as it might be the last season.

• Love 1

Having now watched the episode a second time, I'm not entirely convinced that Will, Jack, and Alana are not all in on using Mason Verger to get to Hannibal. Alana is definitely a whole new Alana, but I'm not convinced she's gone all the way to the dark side.

Laurence Fishburne completely slayed me in this episode. He better not meet his maker when he meets up with Hannibal in Europe.

• Love 1
(edited)

So Mason has offered a reward for Hannibal's head but apparently he forgot to include a picture, because Hannibal's walking around Italy with no concern in his mind.  C'mon! I must say, though, the scariest part of the episode for me was the fact that Mason didn't seem to be upset when he looked at himself in the mirror. 

Glad to see Chilton's alive!

Anyway, the show is being too cryptic and weird now. It is like a teenager son, going through an emo phase. "The snails are a metaphor because life has no meaning, mom!  There's no morality! God, I can't with this, I'll be in my room".

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 7

Oh for fuck's sake.

Why am I still watching this boring show?

Sounds like you should have already quit it.

This was only the 2nd episode I've seen this season due to travel the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed it, especially the getting-the-band-back-together-or-not interactions, the torturous recovery scenes, Jack and Bella together, and Chilton's repeated rejections.

• Love 4
(edited)

LOL  Two good things in this one -- Verger who was really a throw back to the early franchise (I even recognized some dialogue) and the dogs.  Two bad things -- as the blood was flowing upwards in Jack's dream, I said out loud, "I hate this fucking show," with sadness in my voice; and, then Will on the boat.  What?  Did he sail to Florence?

And yet I will continue because I rarely don't complete what I start and I am interested in plot line.  It's just taking a while for one to appear.

Oh, wait, I also concluded that the show is very operatic and in RL I'm quite the opera buff.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 4

The sailing thing kind of cracked me up. It was gloriously and ridiculously romantic. Sailing all the way across the Atlantic by himself! Well, I guess he still had Imaginary Abigail with him at least periodically. She's probably terrible at helping with the sails, though.

• Love 3

Good grief - it has become so absurdly pretentious - dropping plot, smart dialogue in exchange for all the bluster and soaring music.  

What a shame - The two previous years had a good balance and combination of everything needed for a compelling watch - now, pretension and hubris, frankly.  

It is a show attempting to depict itself as oh so smart and clever and above the masses but all it's done for me now, is piss me off in the blatant attempts to do just that and they are doing it poorly - my opinion.  They are NOT smarter or more clever than everyone else - not this year at least.

Rats.

• Love 5

Will on the boat.  What?  Did he sail to Florence?

Ha, that's what I was wondering!

Single-hander, all the way across the Atlantic & half of the the Mediterranean?  Wow!

I liked it, other than the time-jumpiness, which I always find a little disorienting.

• Love 2