Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Meema Moves In

• Start Topic

Gil and Kelly Jo take Trace and Josie to the orthodontist to get braces, and Gil reveals how he can afford orthodontia for so many kids. Later, Kelly Jo’s mother Meema announces that she wants to live closer to the kids. So Kelly Jo takes her house hunting, but the task proves tougher than anyone could have imagined.

(edited)

I'm really glad the boys didn't rush to finish that swingset.  It's not that I don't trust their building skills, but that's not the kind of playground equipment you want to rush getting in.

Has Kelly's father passed away or are her parents divorced?  It was funny how the kids were saying that Meema would live in a "ritzy" house.  

ETA: Apparently Kelly's father passed away in 2003, but her parents did divorce before that.  

Edited by IndianPaintbrush

Loved the comments from the boys when asked if 'oral hygiene was important'.  

1.  What's 'earl?'

2.  No one here wears high jeans.  They all wear them low.

3.  Carlin has really clean teeth.

LOL!

• Love 4

Oh my jeepers, were they really building a kid's swingset on an incline at the top of a steep hill? I love this family but that's not a very smart thing to do. It looked like they had plenty of level ground by the house to put the swingset on. The cynical bitchy part of me wondered if they moved Meema closer so she could pay for a few more sets of braces.

Loved the comments from the boys when asked if 'oral hygiene was important'.  

1.  What's 'earl?'

2.  No one here wears high jeans.  They all wear them low.

3.  Carlin has really clean teeth.

LOL!

That was my favorite part! 

• Love 1

Oh my jeepers, were they really building a kid's swingset on an incline at the top of a steep hill? I love this family but that's not a very smart thing to do. It looked like they had plenty of level ground by the house to put the swingset on. The cynical bitchy part of me wondered if they moved Meema closer so she could pay for a few more sets of braces.

I guess I'm less cynical -- I believed the reasons for moving that they gave. 

I did think it was odd, however, that after (supposedly) only looking at two houses, they were ready to give up and build something.  I'm not familiar with the area, but there might be a senior community nearby.  They're often set up to address the very issues that Meema seemed to be concerned about.  Often, those types of communities have varying levels of independence -- the community might contain a blend of some houses/condos where the residents live pretty independently, some units where there's some oversight (if the front door isn't opened by noon, someone checks on the house; or medical help being available by pushing a button within the unit, etc.), and some units that are more assisted living, with regular oversight/assistance. 

• Love 2

I almost forgot the previews for next week's episode: who are these hotties coming to visit the Bates? And how hilarious was it when Lawson imitated Nathan pretending to "lean" over one of them in order to show her something?

I thought that was funny, too. Nathan was trying to be discreet, but it was really obvious.

I almost forgot the previews for next week's episode: who are these hotties coming to visit the Bates? And how hilarious was it when Lawson imitated Nathan pretending to "lean" over one of them in order to show her something?

I believe one of the boys said they were from NYC. I thought the girls had sort of an ethnic look to them, but I didn't catch a long enough glimpse. I also feel like an old perv for saying this, but Nathan and Lawson were looking pretty damn hot in their cowboy get ups.

If Joseph Duggar wants to score a hot wife, he needs to stuck with the Bates boys.

• Love 1
(edited)

I believe one of the boys said they were from NYC. I thought the girls had sort of an ethnic look to them, but I didn't catch a long enough glimpse. I also feel like an old perv for saying this, but Nathan and Lawson were looking pretty damn hot in their cowboy get ups.

If Joseph Duggar wants to score a hot wife, he needs to stuck with the Bates boys.

Nathan is really good looking and he has a nice body. He's 4 years younger than me and I feel weird saying that...lol! Edited by Suzy123
  • Love 2

Kelly said they'd looked at houses before, but Meema acted like she'd just met the realtor so I was unsure about that part. Could also be they looked at more than two houses but only two made it into the show. I don't think she's moving closer to pay for braces. That's something she could easily pay for from afar if that's something she wants to pay for. I think it's a mix of being closer to the young grandkids and being closer to Kelly and the older grandkids who can help her with her issues.

I thought the swing being built right on the edge of the high hill a bad placement. I also have a vision of it falling apart and the logs rolling down the hill.

• Love 1

"If Joseph Duggar wants to score a hot wife, he needs to stuck with the Bates boys."

I read this completely the wrong way, probably in light of the recent SCOTUS ruling combined with the alarms Nathan sets off for me.

• Love 3

"If Joseph Duggar wants to score a hot wife, he needs to stuck with the Bates boys."

I read this completely the wrong way, probably in light of the recent SCOTUS ruling combined with the alarms Nathan sets off for me.

Lol, I meant to say "stick with the Bates boys." Damn you, Auto Correct! I can see how it would be misread to mean something else.

Is it cheaper to build a house then buy one? I always thought it was the opposite. Maybe it depends on the area.

I think building was less about saving money and more about getting exactly the house they need.

It can be cheaper to build depending on what you want vs what is available and what changes would need to be made to any existing property to fit your needs.

It can be cheaper to build depending on what you want vs what is available and what changes would need to be made to any existing property to fit your needs.

Thanks for answering anstar and KarmaG. The only people I've ever known to build a house instead had lots of money so I was a little confused on how quick they jumped to building a place.

Yes, it is not always more money to build a house than to buy.  We had built what can be considered a "spec" house, in a subdivision.  We made a few minor changes to the stock floorplan.  It wasn't any more expensive than some of the houses that were already built and we got it the way we want it.  

• Love 1
(edited)

That part of the episode was so staged. It was like watching House Hunters where the couple has already closed on the house prior to filming the show, so the "Hunt" is totally fake. You can look at listings online, so it's not like you have to do a lot of legwork to find out whether they're handicapped accessible or not.

Edited by BitterApple
I don't think she's moving closer to pay for braces. That's something she could easily pay for from afar if that's something she wants to pay for. I think it's a mix of being closer to the young grandkids and being closer to Kelly and the older grandkids who can help her with her issues.

Could it be that Meema is also interested in being on TV more often? Closer to the Bates may mean more chances to be on their show. I'm trying to remember the episode when the Bates went to visit Meema at her seemingly very nice house - wasn't Kelly's sister there too, and were we told that the sister lived nearby?  In any case, there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to be closer to your kids and grandkids and with so many Bates kids, they ought to be able to help Meema with a lot of things.